[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of your players trying to play Kenkus? The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Kenku.png (524KB, 477x622px) Image search: [Google]
Kenku.png
524KB, 477x622px
What do you think of your players trying to play Kenkus? The inability to actually create speech seems like it could lead to either some great roleplay or a colossal headache for everyone involved.
>>
I've played a Kenku for a brief time, and one of the easiest ways to pull it off is to have their backstory be they come from a major city, and then when the character speaks they can say different sentences or phrases with different tones or accents.
>>
>>53238408
>inability to actually create speech
thanks 5e, for being retarded
>>
>>53238408
It's very fun, and not much of a headache with players that can confidently communicate through inference.
>>
>>53238408
Actually, you can talk. You just end up speaking in sound bites and showtunes. It can be hillarious if you're clever and party gets what you're referencing.
>>
>>53238408
Someone in my party plays a Kenku, he only speaks with sound effects, 3 word sentences or by (sarcastically) quoting party members.
He has a fucking notebook full of shit that we said that he uses to mock us, pretty funny if done right.
>>
>>53238408
My party's kenku rogue more or less talks as a normal person in our world would. It's a weirdly futuristic world and it's not at all out of the realm of possibility that he could find a bot to read him all the words in the common tongue whilst he read the definitions, so we just didn't really worry about it.

Your shit is cooler though, guys.
>>
>>53239161
This sounds like a great idea.
>>
>>53239334
The only issue I would find with this is the bit in Volo's that talks about how they can't create new things. I'd imagine that means that while they could replicate any of those words, they aren't able to string them together to form sentences on their own that they haven't heard before.
>>
File: tumblr_n4gex6NNvK1qlv22qo1_1280.png (787KB, 1280x872px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n4gex6NNvK1qlv22qo1_1280.png
787KB, 1280x872px
>>53238408
I once created a Kenku who was adventuring because he was imitating the hero of a set of stories. Think Sinbad. The GM flaked and I couldn't play him. Feels bad man
>>
That's retarded. Birds can imitate any sound better than humans.
>>
>>53239069
So essentially, Bumblebee from Bayformers.

Sounds cool.
>>
>>53242391
kys
>>
>>53242029
That's the point - imitate.
>>
>>53238408
I'd think they're a bunch of unoriginal shitters
>>
>>53240584
That would mean they couldn't get the meaning behind what they speak at all, which is definitely not the case.

The tengu like in >>53239334 would sound like a seriously shitty TTS device, make multiple mistakes in sentence structure, but would be able to convey what he speaks.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.