[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Standard General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 308
Thread images: 37

File: Aetherworks-Marvel.jpg (176KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
Aetherworks-Marvel.jpg
176KB, 768x432px
Pro Tour Amonkhet Top 8 Decklists:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptakh/top-8-decklists-2017-05-13

4 Temur Aetherworks
1 GB Sneak Energy
1 Afro American Zombies
1 Mulato Zombie

Control is still shit
Mardu in charge of winning
>>
File: Definitive_Tiers.png (585KB, 799x1450px) Image search: [Google]
Definitive_Tiers.png
585KB, 799x1450px
>>
File: 1466394431809.gif (3MB, 200x180px) Image search: [Google]
1466394431809.gif
3MB, 200x180px
>the city of Mardu Heart of Kirans
Get fucked faggots.
>>
>>53234603

Lone rider is no joke. Well, it's kind of a joke, but you can still get wrecked. 2 mana 4/4 first strike lifelink is pretty good. I played against a crazy mono-white deck with always watching, a bunch of lifelink, and aetherflux resevoir. I think he was packing the lancer brisela package also, but I'm not sure. I ended up winning game 2 convincingly, but game 1 was worrying.
>>
>Playing RB Burn

Damn i just obliterated an aetherworks marvel deck with pure burn and thermoalchemists, even through double woodweaver puzzleknots, fucking Hazoret when hellbent is fucking backbreaking. Shit hits real fucking hard.
>>
Is Trav /ourguy/?
>>
>>53234603
It started off as a "I like the card let's try it out" back in Kaladesh when the deck ran Smuggler's Copters. People tend to sleep on the card a lot, either not expecting how easily it flips or how potent it is when flipped. I don't know how many game 1s I've won because I cast it T2 and people look at it for a second and say "okay" only to try to attack in and be surprised by the fact that it has first strike on both sides of the card, or trample on the back along with the lifelink. There are an abundant amount of ways to flip it as well, I've done T2 Lone Rider into T3 Brutality will generally get you there, especially if you pitch an alms to the Brutality, T2 rider into T3 Harvester threatens a good block + a flip. Overall the card performs far better than I ever expected it to but it has been hurt by the printing of push
>>
>>53234814
Aethersphere is such a good card.
>>
>Games done in 4 turns

Is this fucking Yugioh?
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/akh-grixis-control/
>>
>>53235277
>Hail Bolas
>Doesn't use mini-Cruel Ultimatum
This does not please the Vorthos
>>
>>53235209
its MAHVEL baby
>>
>>53235209
no

legacy is
>>
>>53234694
share the list. i'm currently running u/r burn and thinking of switching
>>
Weebs blown the FUCK out
>>
>tfw marvel gets shit on by tribal

feels amazing man
>>
File: goodguy2.png (445KB, 683x384px) Image search: [Google]
goodguy2.png
445KB, 683x384px
>>53234567

It's a good guy wins episode!
>>
Gooks on suicide watch
Marvel on suicide watch

praise zombies
praise stubs
praise Gerry
>>
>>53234694
>tfw you attack with Hazoret and they always drop a nahiri right after and exile her
>>
>>53235614
looks like marvel is gonna maindeck sweltering suns now
>>
So can we agree that Johnny cards are fundamentally cancer? Marvel is just as awful as copycat
>>
File: 1468018254747.jpg (62KB, 421x421px) Image search: [Google]
1468018254747.jpg
62KB, 421x421px
>>53235701
>a johnny card that lets spikes kill timmy's with their own cards
>>
>>53235701
Johnny and Timmy cards are always cancer when they get too good
Spike cards are the only ones that are reasonable
basically the idea is to never place too much value on a single card and make it so that cards have incremental value when played together and in the correct order relative to what your opponent is doing

when metagames revolve around Johnny and Timmy cards the game turns to shit
>>
File: 1481226889692.jpg (400KB, 1644x806px) Image search: [Google]
1481226889692.jpg
400KB, 1644x806px
>>53235475
This is the list im running, im still tuning it out but it works nicely most of the times.

It suffers against that annoying token lifegain deck, but thats expected, burn always suffers to that, you would have to use up some other side deck cards like scarab feasts and things like that to stop them from working with their graveyard.

>>53235657
Well Hazoret attacking once is enough for me, thats 5 damage and i can do the rest with burn.
>>
>>53235614
>it's one of those "yuuya reach the final just for lose" episode
I've not see the final but I can only wonder how exposed the chat of twitch was, with all of those Yuuya dickriders.
>>
>tfw traded some guy for 4 Diregraff, 4 Cryptbreaker, 4 Lili mastery, 4 Metallic mimic, and 4 relentless dead
>trade value around 40 bucks at the time

nice money
>>
>>53235701
Isn't Marvel a problem because BFZ was supposed to rotate out when it hit?
>>
>>53235832
This seems really odd and too slow - especially against any deck running counterspells.
I've got everything except the flows, though, so I guess I'll give it a spin.
>>
>>53235894
yes and no

Marvel is currently a problem because it relies on the powerful cards from BFZ but Marvel itself poses a threat simply due to its design

The fact that Marvel lets you actually cast the card rather than putting it on the battlefield is a huge issue
next set comes out and Nicol Bolas is some 9 CMC planswalker the only real way to play him is going to be Marvel. Then any really strong Timmy cards that come out after that are likely to be abused by Marvel.
It limits design space and will until it rotates
>>
>>53235894
Yes. the entire fundamental issue with Marvel is that Wizards/Hasbro was planning on making rotation faster to squeeze money out of people faster but people bitched so much that they had to back out on that plan.

The result was Marvel instead of being a value engine casting valuable things it ended up casting Eldrazi Titans for turn 4 wins.

Marvel wasn't supposed to meet with Ulamog but there was nothing they could do at this stage and have to wait out the rotation to resolve itself.
>>
>>53235951
Fought some control decks, got disallowed, censored several times but still managed to do enough damage. Having a Thermo alchemist on board makes everything you cast do 1 damage even if they counter it so you wittle them down hell of a lot over the course of the game.

Faith of the Devoted is also very hard for control to handle if it hits the board because you can cycle out your lands and still do damage.
>>
So what's the optimal time to sell my Relentless Dead playset? I would assume sometime this week, since everyone will be buying shit for Gameday, right?
>>
>>53236053
Wait for Starcity games to update their prices and then put them to sale as fast as you can. They are soon to rotate and everyone will be looking for them on this 5 days before Gameday
>>
>>53235971
>>53235894
Marvel is Kaladesh, BFZ would have rotated out with the release of Amonkhet so the overlap was going to happen eitherway, the only difference is that BFZ is in until the next block rather than rotating out this one
>>
File: 636023588405570893.png (176KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
636023588405570893.png
176KB, 265x370px
It's time boys
>>
File: Standard RB Burn.jpg (147KB, 1119x680px) Image search: [Google]
Standard RB Burn.jpg
147KB, 1119x680px
>>53235832
Interesting list.

This is what I'll be running for Game Day. Seems to flow fine so far but Mardu is a tough matchup.

Any Suggestions?
>>
Hello, new player here.

What is "mardu" slang for? I can't seem to find the card.
>>
>>53235865
They were more butthurt cause the announcer said trump and said it was not a pun. So roasties got pissed in chat
>>
>>53235832
Also have you thought about running Collective Brutality for the discard?
>>
>>53235963
I don't see Nicol Bolas being decent because of their super hero setup going on. Can't have the villain being better than the Jacetice league, after all.

I don't really imagine it limiting design space as any really big, powerful creatures or whatever usually have ways to cheat them out built-in - see Emrakul.
I'd say that the card is cast rather than simply put out onto the field is the big reason it's oppressive.

>>53235971
Emrakul was worse, but yes, getting two free exiles on turn 4 is debilitating even if the creature it came on was just some random 1/1. At least Ulamog can be dealt with after the fact, unlike the saheeli/cat combo.
I'm not sure if the plan was specifically to squeeze more money out of people, but a faster rotation also meant the meta wouldn't stagnate quite so much. Like, Gideon and the Eldrazi should be gone now. I'm so fucking sick of Gideon invalidating most other white cards because he does everything you can ever want.
I just wonder if wotc has learned their lesson about making mythics the slot for constructed playable cards. If they haven't, well, things are going to remain shit into the future.
I guess we'll also learn if they really did listen to the players about getting sick of the gatewatch and planeswalkers with hour of devastation.
>>53236042
I like Midnight Oil/Faith of the Devoted combo against control decks that are looking to win the long game.
>>53236142
It's been time. I've been running Tendrils as my anti-gideon vehicles tech since Kaladesh.
>>53236169
That list is really bad, as proven by SaffronOlive on stream. I'm running a modified version that handles itself much better.
>>
>>53236190
A clan from Tarkir, where each clan were one of the 5 wedges; 2 Ally colors and 1 enemy
http://mtg.gamepedia.com/Mardu_Horde
>>
>>53236232
Don't think that I saw SaffronOlive running the deck but Its been running pretty well for me so far. Do you have a link to one of the streams?
>>
>>53236352
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-rb-hazoret-standard

It's really clunky, then again SO took some odd lines of play at times.
>>
>>53236190
http://mtg.gamepedia.com/Multicolored
The clan name for a particular series of colors. Easier to say 'Mardu' than 'white-red-black,' for example.
>>
>>53236211
I play the deck in paper but every time i think on adding them i check the price and its around $12 every time so i get turned off on the idea. Deck works fine without them. Would have to test them out to see if they are worthy.

Thing is that rotation is coming closer and i dont play black in modern so they would end up in my folder for a long time.
>>
>>53236502
Yea I took a look at some of his games and i don't think that I would be making some of the plays that he making, like prioritizing Key over Bloodrage Brawler.
>>
>>53234567
i opened a atherworks marvel a few days ago, what kind of a deck can i put it in?
>>
>>53234630
FYI that's Stacey Donovan from Dr Penetration
>>
>>53237013
Maybe the deck that just made top 2 in the protour.

Or you know. Just sell it and get something else.
>>
What if they printed stony silence in standard? Or, at least, something similar to it - perhaps in Red?
>>
>>53237227
i could sell it, either that or keep it and try to get a walking balista off of my friend
>>
>>53237306
What if they printed Pithing fucking Needle for us to have an answer to Marvel, vehicles, and Gideon? Oh, that's right, because good answers are taboo.
>>
>>53237507
what if they reprinted swords to plowshares in standard?
>>
>>53237525
Woah there maverick, be careful with what you ask of instants, we have to let babby have his turn.
>>
>>53237564
but is it a good idea tho? maybe they could up the mana cost to two or somthing
>>
>>53237306
You mean like ancient grudge?

Artifacts aren't the problem. It's the design that is the problem. Battlecruiser/Timmy magic is the real issue. Amonkhet is supposed to be the first step away from that design principal so hopefully over the next few sets things get better.
Really though there should just be a few cards that are always in standard. Things like evolving wilds, magma spray/shock, pithing needle, negate, vindicate with downside, cancel with upside, wrath of god, cheap permanent exile spell, heroes downfall, and a few other things

The fact that we are missing a few of these is another big part of why standard has been so bad. Wotc shouldn't be afraid to print cool pushed cards but they should also make sure that the standard environment always has the universal catch all answer cards so that they can be kept in check
>>
Manglehorn is supposed to be the Marvel hoser as it comes a turn early and makes it enter the battlefield tapped. But it still doesnt feel good enough.

Disposess feels like it has been underused though as it gets rid of marvel a turn earlier
>>
Grixes has the best colors
>>
>>53237525
StPs would probably be a bit pushed for standard

It effectively makes all Timmy cards irrelevant until it rotates, which while I like that idea isn't the kind of thing that helps the health of the environment. Think smaller steps first.

Something like revolutionary rebuff that can target everything would do wonders for standard. Not quite mana leak bit not shit either.
Maybe if StPs was 3cmc it would be good for standard but cheaper than that and it enters the "everyone must play white" territory
>>
>>53237507
Because it answers Planeswalkers, and we can't have that. Since Origins they've pushed the fuck out of the jacetice league and planeswalkers in general. They want them to be the end-game in every deck, or at least, that's what it feels like.
Then again, non-league planeswalkers usually range from unplayable shit to fringe tech in a handful of decks.
I would be amazed if they ever printed another instant speed, 3 mana (or less) planeswalker removal. Anything that can target a PW at 3 mana is also sorcery speed, which makes it all really shitty to play.
>>53237525
Think about how Fatal Push is $10 and it's an uncommon from a new set. Swords would rock Modern even more than Push and it'd definitely be a $30+ rare or $15+ uncommon. But because this is wizards we're talking about, they'd print it at mythic.
>>53237588
I think the whole problem originates from 'face' cards, 'story' cards, or whatever the fuck else you want to call them. Can't have little Timmy getting his Gideon blown the fuck out by a common or uncommon removal. Or at instant speed. Or at an advantage for the other player.
Marvel would've been fine if it played, instead of cast, the cards, imo.
I also look at all these other cards they've printed in the sets and wonder why they were so conservative with them. Like, imagine if Lightning Runner cost four instead of five and only required six energy. He'd be an actual consideration in decks.
Or if Baral had some kind of hexproof against spells that cost less than two. Just as a few examples.
>>
>>53237662
Problem with disposess is it doesn't do shit if a marvel is already out. Marvel decks also tend to run negates and shit.
>>
>>53237587
I think Path to Exile would be a better option, as it would be useful for aggro decks to fight off slower decks and Ulamogs, while Path would also be a tool for slower decks to hold off against aggro.
>>
>>53237525
Path would probably fit because it's actually a bad card.
>>
>>53237772
> 'face' cards, 'story' cards
Plot cards are almost always trash, except for planeswalkers.
>>
>>53237826
Emra-cool, Eldrazi are all basically 'plot' cards.

Kozilek feels like they wanted him to fit into control decks, but fucked up by giving him a shitty cast trigger compared to the other two.
>>
>>53237772
Face cards are an issue but like I said, that idea of design is being rotated out. People expressed that they were tired of the gstewatch and tired of pushed story cards so things are shifting with Hour of Devistation.

You can even kinda see it with Amonkhet. The story cards are some of the least interesting with the planswalkers not being out of control shits and instead filling cool niches while not being broken.

We really aren't that far off. We just need something like heroes downfall, wrath of god, and pitying needle and the format would be pretty fun
The lack of control is once again saddening but hopefully Ixalan pushes blue the way Amonkhet pushed red
>>
>Standard continues to suffer from design mistakes and pushed threats, 4 bannings later and its only bearable to play
>Modern is still just midrange, Tron, and fast aggro that can beat Tron
>Legacy players on suicide watch over Top ban and the format is turn 1 opening hand win YuGiOh bullshit
Magic is dead, just play Kitchen table
>>
>>53237890
hold on
Eldrazi are cool because they're insane world consuming abominations from outer space.
The Jacetice league are fucking power rangers.
Annihilator is the best of all time.
>>
>>53236545
i played it with brutalities pre-AKH and it was cash. nuke your hand, nuke your guy, nuke you for 17 off two alchemist
>>
>>53237932
I really hope next set we get a Jackal, Naga, or Aven planeswalker

Sick of them all being human.
I'm like 99% sure though that it's gonna be Samut voice of KANGZ though which is gonna be super disappointing
>>
>>53237922
>Legacy players on suicide watch
t.miracles player
Fuck off scum
>>
>>53237932
Eldrazi are played out and obnoxious.
>>
>>53237922
Go pauper and enjoy true diversity.
>>
>>53238027
TRUE DIVERSITY CANNOT EXIST IN THE ABSENCE OF STORM
>>
>>53237984
Samut is such a hilarious card. I really want to know why they pushed her into Naya colors so hard to the point of making her unplayable due to her high cmc for not much payoff in constructed and unplayable in limited because you really, really need more than one card to justify going into three colors in those formats.

That said, they nuked Ajanni because being a cat man meant people didn't identify with him or some shit. I fail to see how anyone identifies with Gideon, but whatever.

I'd love to see a non-human making planeswalker status, while also being a playable planeswalker. Arlinn came kinda close on both counts. Kiorra whiffed horribly on the second one. Nissa doesn't count because elves are just humans with spock ears. Both new Ajannis are Kiora-tier, perhaps worse.

R/W/G Jackal would be neat, maybe a UG Naga, RBG Minotaur...
>>
>>53238065
>ywn play five colour* storm in pauper again

*ok you don't really use white
>>
I want a red black minotaur walker
>>
>>53238002
I loved the old eldrazi and I have no idea why they revisited the set so soon. Except for the sake of
laziness and greed.
>>
>>53238238
Correction I want a THICC female red black minotaur tiddy monster
>>
>>53238302
What about thicc Jackals?
Or just make Kemba a planeswalker. At least then there will be some explanation for how her crotch plate stayed on.
>>
>>53238097
>they nuked Ajanni
Wait, wait, what happened?
>>
>>53238065
Play izzet blitz. Feels like storm, but a bit crappier.
>>
>>53238350
FAT COW TITS
>>
When should I sell my zombie staples /tg/?
>>
>>53238513
I'd just play the deck if you've got most of it.
>>
>>53238356
He was bottom on most popularity polls so they removed him from perennial walker status to make way for Scowling Middle-Aged White Male.
>>
>>53238513
Like today of you don't intend to play the deck.

There isn't a lot of tech in mono black so either expect the deck to adapt into another color or for it to be slowly left behind due to other decks building against it.
It might retain its place as one of the best decks in the format but it's gonna be hard to have the prices go higher than this next week
>>
>>53238532
Playing pummler at the moment
>>
>>53238537
God I hope they kill gideon
>>
>>53238586
I had a fantasy where they kill all the jace fuckers in hour of devastation and they come back as off-color zombie planeswalkers.
>>
>>53234567
is blue black artifacts a good deck?
>>
>>53238655
My friend built marionette master.
Cheapest rare from Kaladesh and he made it work.
>>
>>53238675
oh ok, i just have a bunch of artifacts and improv blublack cards i could use in a deck, i could also possibly get a walking ballista from my friend.

also, is dovin bann a good card? i got a deckbuilders kit and he was in one of the booster packs
>>
>>53238406
Anon, calm yourself. They need hips, thighs, and just a little bit of softness around the belly too.
>>
>>53238755
>is x a good card
Does x fit in the deck? (usually doesn't)
Is x on curve? (is the best thing to cast the turn you have enough land to cast it)
Dovin can slow down aggro and get you draw. Good luck getting his ultimate off. I wouldn't run him in u/b artifacts ever.
>>
>>53238755
I liked him vs creatures in those obnoxious Spell Queller/Reflector Mage decks.
>>
>>53238755
No, giving a creature -3 on attack on Turn 4 is a pretty awful thing to do. Most of the time he's played, he'll generate two life, draw you a card, and then die.
If his +1 worked on Planeswalkers he'd become a viable one or two of in UWx control decks.
>>
>>53238971
>>53239126
>>53239293
figured as much, maybe i could sell him to someone
>>
>>53239293
4+ life and draw a card
>>
File: 1490906080901.jpg (47KB, 621x502px) Image search: [Google]
1490906080901.jpg
47KB, 621x502px
So with Marvel now one of the most popular decks, whats the best counter to it?
>>
>>53239731
Anything with essence scatter
Or by force
>>
https://deckstats.net/decks/44776/617626-r-g-aggro
Any suggestions for main/side? Should I go Temur Aggro?
>>
File: d42617-3.jpg (31KB, 624x352px) Image search: [Google]
d42617-3.jpg
31KB, 624x352px
>>53239758
>>
>>53239731
disallow
>>
We needed Graffdiggers Cage reprinted in Amonkhet, it would fit the theme perfectly and would be a clean hoser for marvel getting out of control.
>>
>>53239758
U/x control has to grow in popularity, that's really about it.
>>
>>53238513
As soon as SCG updates prices start selling your shit.

Prices will be at an all time high by wednesday until gameday and then start dropping bit by bit when people realize all the cool zombies are going to rotate.
>>
File: timmy plays oregon trail.jpg (72KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
timmy plays oregon trail.jpg
72KB, 640x481px
>>53239731
hyper-aggro
>>
File: IMG_0039.jpg (831KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0039.jpg
831KB, 1280x960px
>>53238650
>Bolas literally turning them into anti walkers with using their enemy colors
>Tamiyo comes back with Karn in blue, Garruk in green, Ob/Sorin in Black and Tybalt in Red.
>>
>>53240701
>>Tamiyo comes back with Karn
and everyone's problems were solved forever. just don't mind that bit of black goo there.
>>
>>53240727
>Planar bridge
>Rashmi-mishra

It's gonna happen eventually
>>
File: red.png (13KB, 186x426px) Image search: [Google]
red.png
13KB, 186x426px
>>53234567
>not playing red dick wins
>>
File: memeing as hard as i can.jpg (533KB, 1865x919px) Image search: [Google]
memeing as hard as i can.jpg
533KB, 1865x919px
>>53243395
>not always playing red deck wins
>>
Anyone got a good R/W Humans decklist? Also is G/W tokens playable still? Gideon AoZ and Nissa VoZ have so much synergy
>>
>>53237772
>Think about how Fatal Push is $10 and it's an uncommon from a new set. Swords would rock Modern even more than Push and it'd definitely be a $30+ rare or $15+ uncommon

uh, okay

I already have 12
>>
>>53243844
>Also is G/W tokens playable still? Gideon AoZ and Nissa VoZ have so much synergy
play naya tokens you memerange fgt

>t1 land, oath of nissa
>t2 land, oath of ajani
>t3 chandra torch, minus for RR, nissa voice, make a plant

MUCH BOARD VERY STALL PLS GIDEON ON T4
>>
>>53244478
>MUCH BOARD VERY STALL PLS GIDEON ON T4

Gross.
Is it 2014 again?
>>
>>53235894
No. Emrakul is worse than Ulamog. They banned her for a reason. This isn't about some weird problem caused by not rotating BFZ, it's caused by Wizards FFL being shit again. And I garauntee the problem won't go away. HoD will have an expensive Bolas card and Lilliana's demon will have a solid chance of being a huge spike card too. Sultai Aethetworks is already strong, a large black threat will break it.
>>
>>53238097
From MaRo:

"Of all the design questions I've been getting online, the most frequent has been "Why does Samut have haste and flash? Isn't that a nonbo (aka the opposite of a combo)?"

The answer was this was more of a Vorthos design than a Mel one. The defining quality of Samut is that she's a speedster. She's fast—very, very fast—so we wanted the design to capture the feel of speed. The first thing we did was look at all the evergreen mechanics available as primary or secondary to red or green and ask "does this mechanic imply speed.

After our first pass, our mechanics were flash, double strike, haste, hexproof, and vigilance. Playtesting soon showed us that hexproof, while flavorful, made Samut a little too hard to deal with. The rest of the mechanics stayed.

We then added the "other creatures you control have haste" to imply that she could speedily carry allies around. The activation was added to similarly imply that she was using speed to help others move quicker. We chose to make the activation use white mana (remember green can untap creatures) to give Samut a Naya (red-green-white) color identity for Commander. Her abilities also played well with the exert mechanic, and red, green, and white were the colors for exert, helping Samut double as an exert commander.

So why does she have haste and flash? Because she's fast, and sometimes flavor is worth doing things a little differently."
>>
File: GW_lol.png (232KB, 956x412px) Image search: [Google]
GW_lol.png
232KB, 956x412px
>>53243844

I came up with a kind of neat infinite combo GW deck that has a token element. Here is how it goes basically.

-Use anointed procession to add more value to all of your draws, even your 1-drops.
-Duskwatch recruiter and vizier of the menagerie act together to sift through your library and spend all of your mana each turn gaining more cards and creatures.
-cryptolith rite gives you a LOT of mana to spend.
-anointed procession with eldrazi displacer and boodmonitor gives you infinite colorless mana and tokens. With infinite colorless, duskwatch recruiter gains a big discount, which helps you hit vizier. Vizier lets you spend colorless mana to pay for any creature in full, which lets you go through your whole deck and kill with walking ballista. This is a three card combo at minimum, but it's deceptively strong because some of the pieces find each other and have alternative uses.
>>
Since there's no "ask a judge" thread going, I figured here would be a better place to ask.

If a Walking Ballista or Triskelion gets hit with Pacifism or for example bribery counters from Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer, are they still able to activate their "remove one 1/1 counter, deal 1 damage" ability?
>>
>>53237772
>Think about how Fatal Push is $10 and it's an uncommon from a new set
Fatal Push is a rare printed with a silver set symbol
It appears less often than other uncommons
>>
>>53245441
Yeah. Pacificm stops attacks and blocks. Not abilities. Compulsory Rest wouldn't work if Pacificsm stopped activated abilities.
>>
>play UR control at fnm
>completely spike it
>friend who grinds pptqs and gps asks me for the list
>doesn't just realize it's a torrential gearhulk deck with good counterspells, card draw and burn
>>
>thinking of getting into standard with mono black zombies because it was cheaper than mardu
>end up buying mardu v
>price goes up literally on all black cars
>mardu was not even on the top8 on the pro tour while temur and zombies dominated

I think i'm just quitting standard, fug.
>>
>>53235209
yugioh ends in 2 turns anon.
>>
>>53245803
>yugioh ends in 2 turns anon
This
Turn 1: First player to go plays
Turn 2: Second player try to play through the cancelling effects of the first player but fails and concedes
>>
>>53245714
You are completely retarded and I hope you do actually quit this format.
>>
File: 54899611_p7_master1200.jpg (95KB, 500x450px) Image search: [Google]
54899611_p7_master1200.jpg
95KB, 500x450px
>>53234567
Can anyone share a fun list for U/R spells? I don't want to play U/R Control and I don't have Gearhulks, I want to sling spells around like a retard.
>>
>>53246488

What part of what i did was retarded though? That deck dominated everything and just suddendly dropped out of top 8.
>>
File: doggo.jpg (410KB, 600x692px) Image search: [Google]
doggo.jpg
410KB, 600x692px
>turn 4 ulamog
>"lol i won"
>standard

How did marvel even get printed?
And how the hell is it not banned yet?
>>
>>53246793
Aren't you only now getting into standard? At FNM level tier 2 or 3 decks attuned to local meta are the ones which actually win the most, no idea why you're treating it as if it's the end of the world.
>>
>>53246793
It didn't make the top 8 in a tournament where every other deck is prioritizing dealing with it. There a still a ton of vehicles lists in the top 64, even moreso if you look at the results of just the standard matches.

Mardu vehicles is still a very good and very popular deck which I can guarantee will put up top 8 results again as people diversify their sideboards
>>
>>53246793
Not that anon, but I'll bite.

You are a bit naive, not retarded. It's an easy mistake to make to think that mardu would make a strong showing. What we need is some context. The last starcity open had a massive showing of mardu decks, but the event happened TWO DAYS after the cat ban. Mardu was the only viable deck that was fully tested and proven because the format was previously mardu vs saheeli, and everything else was a dog.

Fast forward to the pro tour. Nobody is going to bring a deck that is weak to mardu, and saheeli was keeping marvel in check. If you look at the zombies gameplay, the deck is super all-in and the resilience of the pro tour build against a control metagame is untested at the moment. You cannot beat marvel by going big, and if you don't play negate, you better be willing to go as far under it as possible. Meanwhile, mardu evolved into a relatively clunky three-color midrange deck in order to beat anticipated mirror matches. Unfortunately, a value plan is utter suicide against marvel. Even the most consistent zombie decks struggled against marvel, often seeing them stabilize at low life. There was no way a planeswalker-glorybringer nonsense deck would fare better. Mardu may evolve again.

TL:DR; mardu got 15 seconds of fame, built to kill mirrors, then got hard-fucked by the metagame. Don't burn your gideons yet.
>>
>>53240417
>here's a 1 mana answer to one of the new keywords introduced in the format
Kill yourself
>>
>>53246922
>turn 9 ulamog
>lol I whiffed 5 times so it's too late
>standard
I'd be with you complaining about Marvel if it ran more than 1 threat G1
>>
>>53240417
>grafdiggers cage would fit the theme perfectly
>there are no grafdiggers in amonkhet
>the term graf and grafdigger doesn't exist on amonkhet
>there are no dead to bury on amonkhet because corpses immediately reanimate and are embalmed by other zombies with cartouches
>>
>>53247323
They literally introduced grafdiggers cage in a block with flashback. And embalm is a shit mechanic meant primarily for limited anyway.
>>
>>53246974

My point is that everyone and their moms were crying about mardu vehicles, i didn't made the decision out of the blue, every single fucking standard thread in here or in a magic forum people were crying about quitting and how standard was completely stale due to mardu.
>>
>>53247524
That sounds like a perfect fit
>>
>>53248087
>there no graves
>make grave digger cages
>perfect fit
Like my dick lmao
>>
Thoughts on Nissa, voice of zendikar in BG now?
>>
>>53248683
>Snek is in the format
It's good and fun to pump your team by +2/+2
>>
>>53244697
>flash
>1st strike
>haste
>hexproof
>vigilance
>on one card
>>
>>53251722
>no split second
UR 2 SLO
>>
>>53234814
Got a list? I'm building a BW control (maybe more midrange) deck.
>>
>>53244697
But why was the art so bad?
>>
>>53252032
Why don't you like grown women screaming at your face anon?
>>
File: u4Tiezp.jpg (52KB, 266x371px) Image search: [Google]
u4Tiezp.jpg
52KB, 266x371px
Got a bunch of GB cards from the amonkhet prerelease so I wanted to make a -1/-1 tokens deck for casual standard and FNM mostly.
Found this list online but the video kept mentioning tech cards for saheeli combo which obviously isn't relevant anymore. Wondering if there are any simple changes you guys would recommend for this list. I was thinking maybe a couple westvale abbeys since it makes a bunch of tokens.
I have almost every card in the deck already besides the kaladesh dual lands so dont be concerned about be investing in a bad deck or anything.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/15-05-17-gb-1-1/
>>
File: 1494791293569.gif (507KB, 172x172px) Image search: [Google]
1494791293569.gif
507KB, 172x172px
>>53234605
As a newer player.... I like green. But wasn't green cancer just barely in standard or something?
>>
>>53247478
Aetherworks has like 3 main deck wincons.

> Go wide with Virtuoso
> Go tall with Ulamog
> Protect Chandra, Torch of Defiance. ult her and win in 4 spells.

Usually it wins by some combination of the three.

In the board they have Tireless Trackers who out grow and out value control matchups and Bristling Hydra who is a bitch for control to remove if it sticks.
>>
>>53253125
GBx has been superb for a long time. They just keep printing great cards for Green and Black, while blue and white are left at the sideline.

Red tends to be okay now and again, but not good enough to support a mono-red startergy which was thought for a long time to be a sort of kingmaker for Standard decks.
>>
>>53251948
I don't have my deck on me but it looks something like this:

4x Concealed Courtyard
4x Shambling Vent
2x Evolving Wilds
8x Swamp
5x Plains

4x Thraben Inspector
4x Lone Rider
2x Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
3x Kambal, Consul of Allocation
3x Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
3x Aethersphere Harvester
2x Liliana, the Last Hope
2x Ob Nixilis Reignited
1x Yahenni's Expertise
3x Collective Brutality
3x Alms of the Vein
2x Grasp of Darkness
3x Anguished Unmaking
1x Skywhaler's Shot
2x Succumb to Temptation

The board has some lost legacys, another pair of yahenni's expertise, the last anguished, a pair of declarations, fragmentize, and two sorins, don't remember the rest without the deck on me
>>
>>53252756
I also saw a bunch of people using more cheap creatures like exemplar of strength in place of the token generation so they didn't lose early board presence but that seemed a little weird. Also one using Tree of Perdition which sounds greedy as fuck
>>
>>53245497
I've literally pulled more amonkhet invocations from about 40 packs than I have of fatal pushes
>>
File: Kird Ape warfare.png (2MB, 1000x760px) Image search: [Google]
Kird Ape warfare.png
2MB, 1000x760px
Is BG energy playable without the Greenbelt Rampagers or should I stick towards a delirium build?
I pretty much got all pieces for both, except Aether Hub and the Rampagers

>>53253241
Except alms of the vein, how do you reliably flip Lone Rider?
>>
>>53252756
I am trying to make to work another -1/-1 Counters Deck, but I am finding a lot of problems against control and "Goodstuff" decks. Here you can have a look at it in the next link:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/639669/edit#paper

I was thinking about putting Archfiend of Ifnir and cicling stuff but, really, you will find yourserlf without card way too early. I was pondering about switching the Blossoming Defenses for 3 Heroic Intervention so my Nests of Scarabs could survive the usual enchantment removal I am seeing a lot in my LGS.

If someone is reading this. Any suggestion regarding adding value to this deck or improving it? I am finding myself pretty screwed when my opponent just shit Rhonas and Hazzoret and hits face.
>>
>>53255476
Collective Brutality + Lone Rider attacks, Kalitas and Aethersphere damage, Ayli activations, Shambling Vent + Lone Rider attacks. I rarely have an issue flipping rider and the number of times I've done T2 Rider into T3 Brutality, -2/-2 a creature + drain for 2 into attack with rider and flip would surprise you. Even if you don't immediately flip rider people sleep on him either for not thinking you're going to efficiently flip it or from just not knowing what it does. I played against zombies last week and some guy just ran his dread wanderer into my rider even after looking at it apparently only have read "lifelink 1/1" rather than the first strike portion, people get further surprised that the back is +3/+3 and trample in addition
>>
>>53253209
This is something that IMO is 100% a design philosophy thing. Green and black's strengths as colors tend to line up really well with the kinds of things that they either are still willing to intentionally make powerful (creatures, cards that play well with creatures) or make powerful by fucking up (undercosted cards with massive drawbacks, graveyard shit).

It's a lot harder for them to make and print genuinely powerful white and blue cards, given the current prevailing design ideology.
>>
>>53247949
That was (slightly) stupid of them to say, yes, because the root problem with Standard was Cat Combo and Mardu was dominant mostly as a consequence of Cat Combo.

But I think a reasonable person should have been able to realize that. Like, just in terms of trying to understand the deck's matchups and place in the meta before buying into it, you know? It's not like this was unforeseeable. That's what makes you naive.

In general, do not take shit people say on /tg/ or Reddit at face value in re the metagame.
>>
File: 15-05-2017 18-51-02.png (19KB, 336x485px) Image search: [Google]
15-05-2017 18-51-02.png
19KB, 336x485px
Could someone help me update my mono red aggro deck from last set? I know there are some pretty good aggro cards in amonkhet but I'm terrible at making replacements like this.
>>
>>53255476
Bump
>>
>>53256812
the new sphinx with linkens sphere gives me hope that amonkhet 2 will have some good blue options

I can hope anyway.
>>
Is rags to riches a good card?
>>
>>53258701
no
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-09+at+11.30.29).jpg (20KB, 227x324px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-09+at+11.30.29).jpg
20KB, 227x324px
>>53256146
its a shit card.
>mfw I turn 4 flipped two thing in the ice and attacked for 14 at showdown on saturday
>>
>>53258805
Lone Rider? Yeah it's a shit card and you shouldn't remove it ever.
>>
>>53253241
Working on a deck with cards I already had
4x Sacred Cat
4x Lone Rider
2x Declaration in Stone
1x Collective Brutality
1x Lay bare the Heart
4x Gifted Aetherborn
2x Never /to/ Return
4x Succumb to Temptation
2x Collective Effort
2x Anguished Unmaking
2x Bone Picker
2x Dusk /to/ Dawn
2x Gideon, Ally of Z
1x Yahenni's Expertise
1x Descend upon the Sinful
2x Sorin, Grim Nemesis

Need some Ob Nixilises, maybe try some fumigates and yahenni's expertise.
>>
>that feel when I keep investing in cards and decks that end up not being very good

I should just stop now. I keep trying GR lists and they can barely scrape by most stuff in standard and every decent deck just shot up in price.
>>
>>53260566
just do what I did

slowly build a single deck and then beyond that just invest in the "meta" cards

it doesn't hurt to have 4 copies of the blue and green gearhulk, Gideons, Chandras, Lili, and any other expensive cards that could potentially make their way back into the meta at some point

hell I was paranoid that Zombies might do well over the weekend and I had traded away all my copies of Relentless dead months earlier so I bought a playset at around 8$ each
then I traded some kid for the full zombie deck skeleton

seems to have payed off
>>
>>53260634

I want to try to avoid buying anything being rotated, but some of the stuff I already invested in at the end that I hope end up seeing more play, like Glorybringer, Rhonas, Chandra, etc. I do wish I bought Torrential Gearhulks before they jumped in price, but it's too late now.
>>
>that feel when no good/fun combo decks in standard other than Marvel and New Perspectives
>>
>>53260665

there are decks that you can play that are light on rotating things

like G/B energy
just the man lands and grasp of darkness are rotating as far as I can tell

some Control deck is probably good as well. Though it might not be the most meta but you will be able to get most of the cards cheap and Gearhulks are gonna be useful for the full 2 years they are in standard
>>
File: sligh.jpg (460KB, 1852x613px) Image search: [Google]
sligh.jpg
460KB, 1852x613px
>>53257398
try this one senpai. i'm wishy-washy on the split of Axes and Gorgers but this feels fine right now.
>>
I have only really played EDH and haven't tried Standard, but I'm looking for a cheap deck for FNM and mostly just want to brew. What, realistically, is getting in the way of using Baral and counterspells.dec to stall long enough for Second Sun or another more conventional wincon?
>>
>>53262472
I seen second sun played pretty well in my meta as an efficient finisher in uw control shells and bant marvel
>>
>>53262197
Thanks for the help. I completely forgot about Harsh Mentor. That card fucked me over really bad at the prerelease.
What do you think about that Bloodrage Brawler? I figured that would be a big card for aggro when I first saw it.
>>
>>53238238
Neheb for planeswalker?
>>
File: 1462127792456.png (111KB, 172x242px) Image search: [Google]
1462127792456.png
111KB, 172x242px
Aetherworks Marvel is fucking degenerate. How was that card not banned over Em? Did they not realize that a card that generates obscene value and who's power is limited only by how strong the big bombs are in the format might still continue to drop said bombs on T4 even if it's not a 13/13 mindslaver?
>>
>>53263088
>What do you think about that Bloodrage Brawler?
i think it's great of you want to run 20-21 lands and go a little bigger. it's something i would cast on T3 and Madness a spell off of because i can't stand not getting value off a discard effect, especially in RDW. you probably want to play the haste goon (bloodlust inciter) with brawler to be sure you get a swing in with him, as well as a full boat of fiery temper, falkenrath gorger and insolent neonate to ensure you have the ability to make a Madness play for R off him (remember that gorger gives all vampire creatures in your hand madness equal to their casting cost while you have one on the field).
so your curve is something like
>land, flameblade adept, go
>hit you for 1, land, inciter, gorger, go
>land, brawler, trigger madness, trigger adept, cast (madness spell), activate inciter, brawler has haste, hit you for 8

you just need ALL the cards in your hand to do something when you play a hyper-aggro list. pitching a card for no-value is really not what you want to be doing, so we run 12 1-drop madness cards and seek value off our discard trigger when we play these kinds of effects, be they bloodrage brawlers or bomat couriers or insolent neonates.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/15-05-17-vqB-ur-control/

I'm planning on running this for FNM/Gameday this weekend. Negates staying main because the local meta still has several control players, so I don't want to go all in on creature hate.
>>
>>53264421
Thanks again for the tips. I think I might split into 2 decks at this point. Red is cheap anyway so it shouldn't be that huge of an investment.
I kind of love the pseudo go wide feel of my current deck and it seems like the only way to play a lot of the AHK cards I like is to change the whole style. Maybe I'll just make a few smaller subs to the Aether Revolt deck at most.

What would be a good list if I was going to disregard the old deck completely? If you don't mind. I'm sure its a pain in the ass to make lists for people you don't know on the internet so I don't blame you if you don't feel like it
>>
File: 1487661246747.jpg (123KB, 819x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1487661246747.jpg
123KB, 819x1024px
Banning Emmy was a mistake.

Wotc sucks.

nu-mtg sucks

nu-wotc sucks

I despise every format without a viable real control deck, it's so sad to see standard is one for a long period of time now.
>>
>>53264726
the one i posted is fine. it helps a lot to have previous experience with jackal pup decks and ths-standard boss sligh in particular, which this deck feels a lot like. jackal pups, block restricts and pump spells!
>>
File: 1472711249640.gif (548KB, 255x184px) Image search: [Google]
1472711249640.gif
548KB, 255x184px
>play against what appears to be B/W control as R/B Zombies
>Kalitas hits
>no removal in hand
>one turn to topdeck removal spell
>don't
>next turn he yahenni's expertise away my board exiling 2 amalgams, a haunted dead, and a crypt breaker
>beat him G3
>have to play marvel next and just outright lose
>still make it to top 4 and split
>guy next to me pulls invocation Hazoret and I pull junk
Tonight will probably sting for a while.
>>
>>53265086
R/B Zombies? What red spells you running?
>>
>>53264940
I want her to sit on my face
>>
>>53246501
Grapeshock

4 Aetherflux Reservoir
4 Dynavolt Tower
4 Galvanic Bombardment
4 Harness the Storm
4 Harnessed Lightning
4 Magma Spray
4 Pyromancer's Assault
4 Shock
4 Sweltering Suns
4 Tormenting Voice
20 Mountain
>>
Anything in Aether Revolt or Amonkhet that makes Aetherflux Reservoir better? Or is the deck pretty much invalidated by New Perspectives being the better combo?
>>
>>53263657
You play as Neheb in Duels. He dies to Hazoret at the end.
>>
>>53264940
>Banning Emmy was a mistake.

How can you say that after this pro tour? If you thought Ulamog was bad just imagine how dominant Emrakul would be.
>>
>>53266384
The problem isn't with the card, it's with the way it's played, Aetherworks Mahvel and Champion of Rhonas were clearly thought of in a format that didn't contain Eldrazi Titans
>>
What's the safer main board pick for Simic Control, Dispel x2 or Ceremonious Rejection x2?
>>
>>53266320
There's an eggs variant with it using the "reduce cost of artifacts/colorless" creatures. It's pretty janky and has a tendency to brick, but it can definitely work.
>>
>>53248404
>gravedigger still got reprinted
???
>>
>>53267328
Undead in Amonkhet don't rise from their graves like on Innistrad. They have sarcophagi and embalming chambers to put their dead and where their undead come from. Putting a cage over a grave would be pointless.

The Amonkhet Gravedigger also doesn't dig graves for undead but digs out undead from 'graves' out in the desert.
>>
File: U Reservoir.png (47KB, 491x172px) Image search: [Google]
U Reservoir.png
47KB, 491x172px
>>53266320
this list seems to perform well

matchups showcase :
UR Control /watch?v=Q1ZGZ3T7tA4
Mardu /watch?v=ussikw5OCFg
Bant Marvel /watch?v=NPZcVcmc_OY
>>
>>53266996
But unlike Ulamog, which you can argue was a mistake of the change to the rotation system, Emrakul was always supposed to be in the same space as those cards.
>>
>>53262472
Read an article on what control decks actually are. Baraal is only useful as a tempo/combo enabler. Why would you even consider approach as a wincon in control when it can't be cast at instant speed, costs 7 mana, doesn't impact the board, and barely prevents the opponent's ulamog/zombies/vehicles from killing you? Control is horrible right now, but if you want to play it the only viable control finisher is torrential gearhulk.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170516-110359.jpg (412KB, 811x2037px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170516-110359.jpg
412KB, 811x2037px
Do you think Mono-Blue control can work?
>>
>>53262472
Gearhulks and telling the other play "no" more than they can tell you "no" is your wincon in control decks right now, don't go all in on baral either, it might be fine if you're on the draw but you want to be censoring if you have play T2
>>
>>53266367
What if that is the moment where he unlocks his planeswalker ability
>>
>aetherworks marvel
>no cards from the new set

>mardu vehicles
>only one vehicle
>>
>>53269383
Depends on your local meta.
That list, no - you're way too slow and Baral is going to die to everything except shock and magma spray.
Use Horribly Awry instead of Essence Scatter for now, drop a Commit and a Pull from Tomorrow, more Engulfs, at the very least. Many decks can drop creatures turn 1 and 2, and if they're on the play, you're going to be helpless.
This is where the local meta comes into play - for example, control is incredibly popular here, so mono-blue can work. Which is why I run a super RB aggro deck that gets in under most of them.
>>
>>53268848
Yeah you got me there.
>>
>>53269296
if you're good you can always play control

git gud
>>
>>53268848
Ulamog was going to exist alongside Marvel all along, not for this long but it would have until Amonkhet
>>
>>53265251
It's not like the zombies decks that have been topping. You use red for discard and some removal while you get prized amalgams/haunted deads in the graveyard and keep bringing them back for value.
>>
>>53258805
If you say so, been working quite well for me since Kaladesh.
>>53260075
I feel like you're going to be struggling to flip Riders with this kind of list
>>
>53271235

So it's an emerge deck without the emerge
>>
>>53271352
The finisher is Pariah instead of Deep Fried.
>>
File: decklists.png (41KB, 853x648px) Image search: [Google]
decklists.png
41KB, 853x648px
I've got 2 decks I'm torn between for game day. The first one, burn, has done very well at my LGS, but the second looks more consistent. I haven't played nearly as much with the second, though.

Which one looks better? What are the weaknesses I'm not seeing? Are these sideboards good?

My LGS will probably be mostly BG counters/aggro with some UW spirits, B zombies and a marvel deck or two.
>>
>>53272769
ye watch out for my lone riders haha xd!
>>
>>53273442
I'll have to ask you cease shitposting about this thanks.
>>53272769
How does burn do against UW spirits? Does queller hurt as much as one would think or do you get by fine enough?
>>
Which should I bring to Game Day?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-temur-energy-37024#paper or
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/639771#paper
>>
>>53235832
Tested this deck a bit for today and I felt like it's just way too slow of a deck. Thermo alchemist just doesn't fit in it, same with glorybringer. And faith of the devoted is just too gimmicky to use and does nothing on its own as a card.

Will try to refine it later.
>>
>>53273837
You've got a deck that's trying to be a burn deck and a madness deck and isn't really committing either way.
Focus really hard on what you want your deck to do. Also, incendiary flow is really bad.
>>
>Aetherworks Marvel still a good deck
I do not regret selling out of Standard now, sold out during the Cat combo garbage. Standard wasnt firing at my LGS for at least two months and even if it did it was like 6 people. This is also the largest store in the city and meanwhile 40-50 person modern tournaments were not uncommon. Then cat gets banned standard jumps in resurgence again but already people are tired of things because Marvel was already a cancerous top tier deck in the past. Its out of the frying pan and into the fire all over again. How the fuck does 4 bannings not fix a Standard environment? What the fuck is Wizards doing?
>>
Wizards has just been fucking Standard players up the ass for over a year now. Examples include.
>Switching to a shorter rotation to squeeze more money out of players and force people to buy more of the new set, under the guise of keeping things fresh
>Standard attendance drops like a fucking rock because nobody has the money to constantly drop $250 per rotation on cardboard that rotates 6 months quicker
>Design mistakes including pushed as fuck threats and extremely weak answers that cost way too much mana and lol free spells like Marvel
>Cat Combo somehow slips past their gaze despite being super easy to notice and in the same block
>Cat combo and Vehicles rape Standard for months, being 80% of the played decks yet they dont immediately emergency ban it
>Ban announcement comes and no bans announced everyone thinks its a fucking joke, so many people complain they are forced to undo their mistake 2 days later
>People just switch to the last broken combo because who couldve guessed that a turn 4 Ulamog is good, off of an artifact that you cant stop if it resolves
Hell turn 4 Ulamog in Modern is backbreaking and a top tier strategy and thats 13 years of cards that can deal with it, how much more powerful is it in Standard where the best answer is Cast Out and good luck casting that when two lands just got exiled
>>
>>53275487
How many games actually have Turn 4 Ulamog though? Not as many people meme it out to be and don't pretend that Aetherworks is anywhere as close to consistent as Tron.

The best answer to Ulamog is also Time To Reflect or Anguished Unmaking. The others two top decks have easy access to both of these.
>>
File: rise of Fbltph.png (2MB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
rise of Fbltph.png
2MB, 1600x1000px
>>53255476
Bump
>>
>>53269383
No. Mono blue is not allowed to be good in standard.

>>53275800
>How many games actually have Turn 4 Ulamog though?
WotC hides statistics like this on purpose. Ulamog doesn't have to land on turn 4 to do turn 4 levels of damage though. He exiles two target permanents when he is CAST not when he ETB's.

In order to answer Ulamog after he is cast, the opponent needs at least 4 mana for an Essence Scatter, or 5 mana for Time to Reflect or Anguished Unmaking. They also need more then 2 of each color needed to cast the answer.
>>
Magic novice here. Im making a black zombie deck and I have 22 creatures and 22 spells and stuff, is that too much?

I have about 20 1, 2 cost cards and about 8 4+ cost cards and Im unsure of how much mana I need
>>
>>53273704
queller only stops one spell and I have a hundred ways of killing it. The only thing that would annoy me to get quellered is fevered visions, because I probably tapped out for it and won't get the draw EoT, but next turn its dead. A deck running queller won't have enough counters for my 2 and 3 mana burn spells.
>>
>>53276588
You've only left yourself room for 16 lands. Gerry Thompson ran 20 swamps and 2 Westvale abbeys in his build.

Check out his list and try to work out what you can cut.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/644540#online
>>
>>53276588
Until you get more experience, run 20-24 lands. Since you're mono colored and have a fairly low curve, you might be able to get away with 20.
>>
>>53276429
just buy the hubs and the rampagers
>>
>>53276641
Queller isn't the only thing in the package to stop you though. Mausoleum wanderer, selfless spirit, and rattlechains all do an amazing job of blanking targeted removal, with avacyn on the higher end to stop radiant flames or sweltering suns.
>>
>>53239956
Honestly, you're probably better off going for Pummeler Fling with that setup
>>
Do tower decks NEED Torrential Gearhulks? I want to ride the lightning but not pay $100 on the hulks.
>>
>>53277473
the hulks are good until fall of next year, why not invest in them?
>>
>>53277473
you can pick the hulks up for $10 each again here in a month after the new set fever dies down

and realistically you don't need them, they're just huge bombs that make the deck much better
>>
File: 1460950113648.jpg (19KB, 467x467px) Image search: [Google]
1460950113648.jpg
19KB, 467x467px
My friend wants to scramble together a budget deck for gameday. He last played right before EMN and played Humans. I think his best bet is to just update it a bit. Any secret techs for a mono-white deck?
>>
>>53277698
toss in red
>>
>>53276567
Have you ever heard of "floating" mana?

Also Time to Reflect is unplayable. Smite was always a casual-only card.
>>
>>53277754
>Have you ever heard of "floating" mana?
Yes. Don't ask me why it didn't occur to me to tap the lands before the cast.

>>53277698
White/Red and White/Green are both viable. If he must go mono white, just take the white cards from both lists.
>>
>>53275800
>Time to reflect
>Answer to Ulamog

What? Have you even read what that card does? I honestly believe you mean Declaration in Stone or something.
>>
>>53277856

>Yes. Don't ask me why it didn't occur to me to tap the lands before the cast.

Because you are not getting ulamog'ed on the regular and are just complaining about something you don't even have to deal with personally. Just like everyone else on the internet.

>>53275487

>Switching to a shorter rotation to squeeze more money out of players

They extended rotation. That's actually where a lot of weird shit comes from in the current set, which was designed around the idea that Gideon, AoZ and other BFZ cards would have rotated.
>>
>>53278239
>Because you are not getting ulamog'ed on the regular and are just complaining about something you don't even have to deal with personally. Just like everyone else on the internet.

I only ever played against cat-combo twice. After the first two weeks standard stopped firing. Do I still have the right to complain about that?
>>
>>53276884
Idiot.
>>
>>53277473

You can play dynavolt without torrential gearhulk but you have to accept that your deck will be worse for it. A lot worse.

But I can understand not wanting to put down 100$ for a playset of a card. Not really sure what you can play instead of that, though. Draw would be good in that slot. So would removal. So would a flash blocker. So would a counterspell.

Just buy the giant robot you pussy.
>>
>>53274838
>Incendiary flow bad
>In a meta with scrapheaps and zombies

Did you re-read the card anon?
>>
>>53278273

You have the right to complain about ulamog even if you don't get tentacle raped on turn 4 every friday night. It just makes you look silly when you try to portray it as some unsolvable fuck machine and you come in with comments like needing ww/bb/1 to cast anguished unmaking against it.
>>
>>53278401
>not picking up robot when it was down to $12
>>
>>53278466

I had opened 2 in my sealed pool, and got my other two the week after. I'm happy I got on that train quick.
>>
tfw I bought the New Perspectives List the minute it was featured on MKM because it looked hilarious and now I'm super regretting it bc I'd actually have to play it in paper against people and dont wanna be *that* guy

Is there any chance this deck becomes actually viable/less janky/more interactive with Hour of Devastation?
>>
>>53278465
>It just makes you look silly
I know. I did look silly. Because I made a stupid mistake.
>>
>>53278520

The deck, as is, already has chances to fizzle when it combos off. You can't really water down the cycle package with non-cycling interaction, so unless we see more cycling interaction in HoD, probably not.
>>
>>53278239
They only extended rotation again after the Professor(not that he was wrong to) and his army of dicksucking cucks bitched for months about and standard fnm attendance was at a record low point
>>
>>53277266
You're right, but my spells are all 2 or 1 cmc and the only thing that doesn't kill queller is shock. Early game, I can just cast 2 spells the turn they queller, and later in the game, I'm generally going face instead of for creatures.

The hardest thing to deal with is avacyn flashing in on an 8/4 drake.
>>
>>53278418
Magma spray deals with those threats much, much better. It's not even so much that flow costs 2, but that it's sorcery speed.

Spending a 2 mana spell to deal with a 2 (or even 1) mana threat at sorcery speed is going to put you in a bad position in a hurry.
>>
>>53279295
it also hits the face anon
>>
>>53279900
I'm aware, anon.
If you're playing a straight burn deck then flow can work, but if you're trying to play control then it's going to be shit. Sorcery speed kills it hard.
>>
based on what i have i'm trying to make a fun yet competitive deck to try this weekend
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-05-17-pummeler-fling/
criticism is more than welcome
>>
>>53278644
>They only extended rotation again after the Professor(not that he was wrong to) and his army of dicksucking cucks bitched for months
Hear me out for a minute. What if, WotC decided to extend rotation based on the FNM attendance data (that only they really have access to), rather then because an e-celeb and his e-army asked them to?

>>53280403
If you're going to run Pummeler Fling, bring 4x of both of them. Drop black. Constrictor, Energy Bob and Disintegration aren't worth it (in your case). Consider Insult//Injury.
>>
>>53278871
Leaving up two turns after they presumably queller something on your turn is going to be a feat though. Assuming queller hits something 3cmc, you're either now tapped out on your turn or it's much later in the game and you have access to more mana. Can't really forget that queller most always comes down on your turn. Not theirs.
>>
File: 2017-05-16_22-46-31.png (1MB, 1507x782px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-16_22-46-31.png
1MB, 1507x782px
R8 my shitty "too poor to afford Ulamogs right now" Temur Marvel.

Yes I wish I had Chandra's
>>
>>53283478
You need a better marvel target. What about Kozilek or Void Winnower?
Funny thing about void winnower, if you manage to marvel out yours first, they can't cast ulamog ever.
>>
>>53283820
My friend call it the tumblr card, because your opponent can't even
>>
>>53283478
>>53283820
Shit I just realized I had an ulamog from when I made a dumb investigate combo deck. Should I sell it? I bought him for 10 bucks I think.

Same for Kozilek but he's about the same price it seems
>>
>>53283950
Golly gee anon, haven't heard that one before ever. Your friend must be a comedic genius
>>
I'm building New Perspectives, but I wanted a smart, courageous soul to answer a question I have: Why not main deck some Censors? Renewed Faith seems pretty weak.
>>
>>53284394
to make sure you live through aggro
>>
>>53284394
Yeah you need the life gain for aggro. I've only seen a couple games of New Perspectives vs aggro since nobody I know has the deck, but you get pretty damn low in only a couple turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxtuhwqYsLI
I can't stand this guy's voice, but you can see in the first match he could have lost easily to a more aggressive deck.
>>
whats the best site to buy singles in the uk?
>>
>>53284757
Magic madhouse I think.
>>
>>53277473
run combustibles and splitcards
>>
>>53285787
>giving your opponent a choice
It's shit
>>
>>53278644

I don't see how that validates the point in any fashion. It was a completely invalid criticism of how WotC is currently handling standard because it's a genuinely false statement.
>>
>>53283478
>>53283950
Winnower is an option because it basically stops some decks from playing, Kozilek seems like he could be great because if I don't hit Glimmers then I run out of cards quick.

Elder deep fiend has come in clutch in some games, and even caused a few people to scoop on the spot.

My biggest concern is that Winnower and Kozzy don't necessarily impact the board when they hit, like deep fiend and world breaker, which means I can't play as disruptively.
>>
>>53287885
I wouldn't cut Deep-fried too, as you can cast it normally through emerging a Whirler or Refiner
>>
>>53287909
I'm not sure about the ratios but this is what I have so far. I wish I had room for Winnower in the side as something for the mirror.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/645767#paper
>>
>>53267921
Not even playing Crush of Tentacles
>>
Why is Lifecrafter's Bestiary used in most sideboards? I am "new" to the game so I don't understand why it's used and what it would be boarded in against.
>>
>>53289949
What sideboards are you talking about? Give us a link.
>>
>>53289949
Being able to scry during upkeep, before you draw for the turn, is always a good thing because it will help reduce your chances of pulling useless cards late game when you need your bomb.
>>
>>53289949
>game 1
>hmm seems like I need to draw faster and scrying would be nice
>oh hey this guy isn't running much artifact removal

and then in game 3 you can keep it in or side it out and hope that your opponent overcommits to removing it and win with some mind games.
>>
>>53290112
>mind games
I do that with a RB deck. Game one it's an extreme aggro deck, then game 2 I sideboard the whole 15 cards and change it into RB control.
Only really works against various Ux control decks, but it's still pretty amusing when they sit there turns 1-3 and think I'm just having shit draws, only to realize their hand full of creature removal is completely dead.
Then, against players that have suffered it before, I leave it pure aggro.
Mind games are fun, but sometimes it bites me in the ass hard.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/akh-grixis-control/

Putting Lost Legacy in this to stop approach of the second sun I get butthurt
>>
File: ODiUTqB.jpg (470KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
ODiUTqB.jpg
470KB, 1536x2048px
Someone told me to never crack packs
>>
>>53293064
You mad man. You actually went to your lgs and asked to look at 3 cards. Took a picture. And then fucking lied on the internet
>>
>>53293712
I'm sorry for your brain injury.
>>
Who's the Crocodile god next to Rhonas?
>>
File: 1464646063925.png (87KB, 304x314px) Image search: [Google]
1464646063925.png
87KB, 304x314px
>>53294560
??? How do you know about Rhonas but not Bontu?
>>
>>53293064
You shouldn't. Those three cards would buy you half a box.
>>
So what deck are you guys planning on taking to game day this weekend? Anything that isn't marvel/zombies/mardu?
>>
>>53298509
U/R Control kinda deck. Having trouble against Mardu, especially Gideon's abilities (token or his 5/5 indestructible atk).
>>
>>53298552
Splash white for Cast Out/Angel of Sanctions?
>>
>>53298509
I want to play energy BUG. Glint sleeve siphoner and era of innovation each give an extra card per 2 energy spent, makes for a cool deck that draws 7-10 more cards than my opponent. Sadly it is no good against marvel decks...
>>
>>53298552
That's a tough one, short of splashing another color or dropping red your answers for Gideon become more narrow. I'll have to pray on this one because the answers UR has for Gideon are not great.
>>
>>53298970
>era of innovation
I legitimately didn't even know this card existed
>>
>>53298509
I'm gonna take either UB control with gearhulks (might throw in metallurgical summonings for the lol) or I could take UR Drake haven.
>>
>>53298509
G/W tokens, still doing decent work and my local meta is mostly budget
>>
>>53298509
B/W control

Start // Finish and Dusk // Dawn have proven to be excellent in testing.
Marvel, GB, and Zombie decks are easy prey. My only worry are the UR and Jeskai control builds going around.
>>
>Tfw Want to take Minotribal to Gameday
>Can't afford Hazoret Heckbent until next payday
>You won't even top 8 with Minotribal unless everyone plays really bad
Why is playing Bullmen suffering?
>>
>>53300614
>tfw store is so small we only got 7 people at the last game day
>with a deck I made while drunk and in 15 minutes the night before I still came 5th
>>
>try out standard this season
>pick marvel
holy shit you guys should of said something sooner.

The level of salt this brings is Abzan midrange Theros-KTK level.
>>
But what about dovescape?
>>
>>53301689
What?
>>
>>53301710
whoops, was asking in an other thread about dovescape
>>
>>53234567
>>
>>53299403
Draw three for two mana is super sweet, but I can't kill Ullamog.
>>
>>53247323
>>here's a 1 mana answer to one of the new keywords introduced in the format
>Kill yourself

>He doesn't realize that he's the exact type of player that has made Standard so shit

Honestly dude, take a good hard look at yourself and how pathetic you are. There being no good answers to threats is what has made standard so terrible.
>>
>>53299095
>>53298552

lmao just don't let him resolve

but seriously its pretty fucked up; I think its worth it to main some glorybringers and maybe a kefnet if you aren't already, or side them at least.

(and if you encounter the mirror and accidentally let kefnet resolve make sure you side in a galestrike for game 2!)
>>
>>53298552
Commit to Memery
>>
>>53264940
But damn is that Liliana art good.
>>
>>53275312
terrible overall power level with a handful of pushed as fuck cards
2-set blocks and no core set to smooth over gaps in essential answers and general utility
wizards runs a development pipeline a few years long so they can't react to problems when they become obvious, and R&D misses glaringly obvious problems like cat combo
>>
>>53310382
>>53310382
>>53310382

New thread
Thread posts: 308
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.