[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Battle against a possessed paladin

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

Hello folks, i'd like your feedback on something:

In my campaign, i've planned for the players to battle against a possessed Paladin. I am aware paladins of the devotion path cannot be charmed, but i've opted to overrule that characteristic for now, so that it'd fit the narrative better. In any case, my doubt is:

if a paladin or any such character that relies on divine powers is possessed, could it still use it's class' abilities, like Improved Divine Smite and/or it's spells?

I mean, if the source of the paladin's or cleric's power is it's deity, could it still be powered by it, even though it's mind is no longer his? would it make sense? I thought maybe changing the damage from radiant to necrotic would perhaps help in making it a bit more acceptable... what do you guys think?

Also,i'd like help in BUILDING the character itself. the character is supposed to fight againt 5 level 5 characters (1 mage, i warlock, 1 paladin, 1 warrior, 1 monk)... i'd like the battle to be 'deadly', and for it to be based on the 'Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower' fight, a boss battle from the game 'Bloodborne', except that the battle may be won by 3 different methods.

So far, the character is more or less like this (again, feel free to make suggestions):

Human (variant), Devotion Paladin, lvl 11

Str 10, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Char 14

Armor class: 18 (10 + 2 (armor) + 4 (dex) + 1 (f. style) + 1 (dual wielder feat)

Feats: dual wielder, defensive duelist (or war caster)

attacks: Rapier, 1d8 + 4 (dex) + 1d8 (imp. divine smite) + xd8 (if using smite) (attack made 2/round)
Rapier, 1d8 + 1d8 (radiant)
So, what should i do? does it make sense to the paladin to still be able to use some of it's abilities, even if it is a 'corrupted' version of them? Is this character ok to fight againt this group in particular? Please, make suggestions, if you wish!

Here's a video containing the battle which inspired this character:

https://youtu.be/0hN66R2yjgs?t=18s
>>
Also, we're playing DnD 5e (forgot to mention, sorry)
>>
Depends on what's possessing them. I could easily justify all of this if it wasn't a spirit puppetting the paladins body, but instead influencing their morals and perspective by poisoning their mind. Ultimately this is a make believe game, so if any of them really complain their autism probably hinders their enjoyment of a lot of things so w/e,
>>
The entity that posesses him gives him it's own powers. Behold, Corrupted Smite!
>>
>>53232554

Sounds good enough for me, hauhaueba

Yeah,i think ill try to roll with that... I think ill just remove the lay on hands ability, since it may not fit the characters situation.
>>
File: Lady Maria.png (237KB, 715x501px) Image search: [Google]
Lady Maria.png
237KB, 715x501px
>>53232204
>>
One last thing: do you think the challenge is adequate for a group of this size?
>>
>>53233943
Action economy will rape him. Either give him extra actions or give him allied zombies.
>>
File: quite thrilling.png (3MB, 725x2826px) Image search: [Google]
quite thrilling.png
3MB, 725x2826px
>>53232204
They're just gonna bully her to death.
>>
>>53234512
>>53234100

Well sheet... i wanted it to be an epic boss battle, but eh, i guess i'll have to throw in a few allies to at least keep the players distracted.

Thanks for the help, pallies... if there's oe thing i've learned about this first time narrating, is that ya can't underestimate the players; they always bully the monsters you worked so hard to put :(
>>
>>53232204
>if a paladin or any such character that relies on divine powers is possessed, could it still use it's class' abilities, like Improved Divine Smite and/or it's spells?
Depends on the setting.

Who is possesing the Paladin?

Paladin Possessed by an evil entity sounds cool, like this guy suggested >>53232554

The Paladin could be possessed by an evil entity but still believe that he is doing the right thing like this one >>53232507

It could actually have a gray area, depending on what deity the Paladin serves.
If controlled by an evil entity his and mind is manipulated into believing that he should smite the PCs, would the deity agree with this action even if it's done under the control of someone else? Most PCs desearve some smiting.

You could even make it so the god is in the wrong ... but that would require some divine gambit that may be too huge for the campaign you're running.
>>
>>53232204
Using player classes for non placter characters is usually a bad idea. (it's boring).

Give her two initiative passes, one where she fights and one where whatever possessed her uses some abilities. Give her a lot of temporary hit points. Maybe a couple of minions.
>>
>>53235049
If you're not a fan of minions, put her in a scene where she (or the entity) can actively use the environment to fight the players.
>old ruins
>she jumps through a secret entrance, if players follow they get shot by bolts from the walls
>she tosses a dagger past the group, it goes through a crack and triggers another trap
>there's oil on the floor and she shoots down the chandelier
>she makes the floor break
>turns over the bookshelves in the library
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.