[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the lowest-status job in the traditional game industries.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: C8meBbhXoAAncTq.jpg (71KB, 640x793px) Image search: [Google]
C8meBbhXoAAncTq.jpg
71KB, 640x793px
What's the lowest-status job in the traditional game industries.
>>
>>53229728

Dice tester?
>>
Being THAT guy.
>>
File: CwYek0WWQAUjjh0.jpg (88KB, 552x756px) Image search: [Google]
CwYek0WWQAUjjh0.jpg
88KB, 552x756px
>>53229763

Are those guys paid?
>>
File: nice-shoes-wanna.jpg (110KB, 385x461px) Image search: [Google]
nice-shoes-wanna.jpg
110KB, 385x461px
>>53229728
Same as everywhere - being the guy/woman who cleans up the toilets.
>>
>>53229763
>>53229773
Shoe shiners don't usually look like that, or get those kinds of customers.

A more realistic depiction is basically every movie ever that features wallstreet assholes getting their shoes shined.
>>
Someone who volunteers to demo or judge for free.
>>
>>53229728
Social media manager
>>
>>53229728
the postman who delivers my miniatures and/or supplies. He's so low status he almost isn't part of the industry.
>>
/tg/ shillposter.
>>
>>53229867
>>53230116

Damn, beaten by 2 posts.
>>
>>53229728
>>53229776
Actually it's the interns.
>>
Forum janitor/Comment Quality Assurance.
>>
In-House Designer at Alderac Entertainment Group.
>>
>>53229728
I feel like being in the traditional game industry is already so low status as to make differentiating pointless.

This is something the vast majority of people do as a hobby. Like, I've written supplements and games. But I have a day job. Most of the "industry" is the same, although a lot of them are trying the whole freelance writer across all media thing now. Not really working for most of them.
>>
>>53229728
Playtester. Unpaid work, often that you have to buy the rulebook to do.
>>
Privateer Press playtester.
>>
>>53231170
Yes! This.
>>
>>53229728

AoS shill
>>
Typesetting/Layout
Even though it's the most important job.
In the entire history of traditional gaming, nobody has ever said "I want to be the guy that does the layout!" Most of the people in the industry have no regards or idea of design or layouts, as evidenced by the fact that most books of any genre are complete dogshit to read and 99% of card games look like a shitty summer project made in GIMP by a 16 year old, even though they have pretty good artworks.

Either learn proper design or hire a fucking professional you idiots, your books are fucking unreadable.
>>
>>53231544
maybe it's because my dad was a typesetter before he retired but bad typesetting really irks me
>>
>>53231011
>I feel like being in the traditional game industry is already so low status as to make differentiating pointless.
Anon, people naturally form hierarchies. And the lower you are on the ladder, the closer the rungs get, and the more obsessive people get about not slipping lower. "I may be a [nerd], but at least I'm not one of those [lower types of nerd]" is a familiar phrase for a reason.
>>
>>53229728

Store clerk.
>>
>>53229728
Being a subcontractor/freelancer for Palladium Books.
>>
>>53229728
Warehouse monkey, loading pallets of books onto trucks. But they probably farm that out.

In-house, I'd guess proofreader?
>>
>>53231544
>>53231703
I've actually been working on putting out some (small, free) pdfs of my stuff and part of the process is trying to learn how to properly format everything.

Any advice on where to start, people to read?

Currently using Scribus for what it's worth.
>>
File: 5Cqn8yp.jpg (361KB, 1363x903px) Image search: [Google]
5Cqn8yp.jpg
361KB, 1363x903px
>>53229728
GMing. No pay, no respect (even if you murder your players), and rarely satisfying.
>>
>>53230948
This, at least janitors and distributors have job stability and will be there doing exactly the same job for someone else when the industry collapses.
Interns waste years doing chores for peanuts building "experience" that isn't respected in any company other than the one they're interns for.
>>
>>53231544
That's because editorial design is the last well paid area of /gd/, so a lot of companies let stupid interns or "artists" do the deed and it shows.
>>
>>53229728
Games Workshop store employee.
>>
>>53231170
This. Any kind of tester, in any industry ever is the bottom of the totem pole. Nobody ever says "we don't need janitors, we don't get this pace that dirty, so it doesn't need cleaning!" But "Why do we need testers? We know how to make a good product, and the developers can test their own stuff just fine." is a conversation that is had everywhere.
>>
>>53233311
If it's not satisfying, you're doing something wrong
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.