[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 51

File: iaf009_poses_300dpi.jpg (284KB, 1000x359px) Image search: [Google]
iaf009_poses_300dpi.jpg
284KB, 1000x359px
Space Knights edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
http://pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

homebrew systems are welcome

last thread
>>53143049
>>
>>53229605
Anyone here follows "Whisper"?
What do you think about it, minis and rule wise?
>>
>>53230318
>Whisper
got a link? Never heard of it.
>>
So I'm reading through the rules of Dragon Rampant, and I'm a little confused about strength points.

Are they pretty much just HP for a unit? I get that you divide SP with the number of models in a unit to get the essential wounds per model, but what are the benefits of having 12 models in a unit vs only 4 if the SP are the same?
>>
>>53231053
No kickstarter yet. All the pics and some info are in Facebook (sadly)
>>
File: 2017-05-14 17.41.48.jpg (185KB, 535x538px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-14 17.41.48.jpg
185KB, 535x538px
What's everyone working on?

I just built this robutt.
>>
>>53231902
Is the head missing or is it meant to just be really small?
>>
>>53231200
The unit size should usually be based on aesthetics. For example orcs might be 12 models in a unit but ogres might be 3-4 models in a unit. Base the model count on what looks right.

Of course you can have different unit sizes for other reasons if you want. I have 10 models in a unit because the models are sold in 5s and I didn't want to buy extra.
>>
>>53231940
The head is just a tiny camera, it confused me at first.
>>
>>53231943
So there's no benefit to it other than aesthetics? I can dig it, but with 10 models in a SP12 unit, do you just soak 2 damage before you start removing models?
>>
>>53232001
Its so tiny...
>>
>>53232005
As far I can tell yes. Only changes to stats comes in a half strength.

We have a pile of hit markers from other games. I just throw on two of them and then start removing models.
>>
>>53232300
I like the idea of units having champions, could I do a like a SP12 unit with 5 models, and say each model has 2 wounds, but the champion has 3?
>>
>>53232461
I think it explicitly says you can do the whole "every model has multiple wounds"
>>
>>53232461
That adds up to 11 but yes you can make units that way. Just avoid overcomplicating it.

Treat Dragon Rampant as a toolbox that lets you make use of your toys when making your army.
>>
Hey still looking for more Osprey Adventures both the Open Books/Fantasy and Dark and the Myth set. I found a few in HWG but they always say ask here in AWG

Tempted to make a Mega Folder of the ones I have and add as people post them

The one i want to get is Steam Punk 2 the old west
>>
>>53235188
>Tempted to make a Mega Folder of the ones I have and add as people post them
That would be pretty damn awesome, actually
>>
What's a good set of rules where I can have a squad of space-mercs face off against hordes of robots? I have the miniatures but not a clue how to game them.
>>
>>53235188
>>53235410

OP Back with Soda

Is mega the best for staying up the longest as a file share ware i can organize an archive and update it as more or beter files are found

So far i found in HWG

Osprey - MYTH 001 - Jason and the Argonauts
Osprey - MYTH 002 - Dragonslayers, from Beowulf to St. George
Osprey - MYTH 003 - The War of Horus & Set
Osprey - MYTH 005 - Thor - Viking God of Thunder
Osprey - MYTH 007 - Robin Hood
Osprey - MYTH 008 - Troy Last War of the Heroic Age
Osprey - MYTH 009 - Theseus & the Minotaur
Osprey - MYTH 010 - Charlemagne & the Paladins
Osprey - MYTH 011 - Sinbad the Sailor
Osprey - MYTH 013 - The Knights of the Round Table

Osprey - OPK – Dwarf
Osprey - OPK - Orc Warfare
Osprey - OPK - Steampunk Soldiers

Osprey - DARK 01 - The Nazi Occult
Osprey - DARK 02 - Knights Templar - A Secret History
Osprey - DARK 03 - Zombies - A Hunters Guide
Osprey - DARK 04 - Vampires - A Hunters Guide
Osprey - DARK 05 - Werewolves - A Hunters Guide
Osprey - DARK 06 - The Wars of Atlantis
Osprey - DARK 07 - The Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow
Osprey - DARK 08 - Bug Hunts - Surviving and Combating the Alien Menace
Osprey - DARK 09 - War of the Worlds - The Anglo-Martian War of 1895
Osprey - DARK xx - Nazi Moonbase
Osprey - DARK xx - The Cthulhu Campaigns - Ancient Rome
Osprey - DARK xx - The Cthulhu Wars - The United States Battles Against The Mythos

What I want that I know of are Elf and Steampunk 2 the old west

I want to use Steam Punk 1 and 2 and the Anglo Martian war and the steampunk table top rules with a RPG and the adventures of the Crew of the Airship HMS Osprey. If that goes I'd steal from the worlds oldest Fanfic " Edison's Conquest of Mars" and use Rogue Stars so the Airship Osprey gets a few upgrades
>>
>>53235464

Osprey "Rogue Stars" I found a link in one of the HWG threads
>>
>>53235779
A mega with all of those in would be massively appreciated
>>
>>53235799
That is very wrong. I've played rogue stars, and it's really only good for 4-5 models vs 4-5 models. Once you start getting into 6+ models, the system really breaks down.

It's also extremely granular, which i am not that much of a fan of. I love the writers work, like his SoBaH family of games, but this one was pretty much a miss imo.
>>
>>53235933

Next time I'm at a more Anonish Public and faster connections i'll try it
>>
>>53235933

And is Mega the way to go i see the official archive on HWG uses Mediafire

Or could do both for redundancy either way ask HWG to add it to their list of categorized Osprey links they copy past all over the net
>>
>>53236271
I think /hwg/ used to use Mega but ran into copyright problems. I'd try asking in /hwg/ itself to see if the anon who maintains the archive has any advice.
>>
Is this the place to ask about Warzone Resurrection? I'm having trouble with the rules (I've downloaded the rulebook from Prodos' website, should anyone want to read it).

Mainly, given that I think Ki powers and Psychic Powers are the same thing by the rules, I would like to know:
1) if a vehicle (in this case, a Mishima Meka) in a single model squad (that would qualify it as a squad commander I think) can take and cast psychic/ki powers
2) The power Batta no Choyaku gives Leap (8). Am I right in thinking that, since leap counts as walk action, it would cancel the Tiger Dragons' "Flesh to stone" rules, since it's a cast action that gives an effect that counts as a walk action?
3) What happens when a character capable of casting Psy/Ki/Dark powers joins a squad that can do the same? Does both he and the squad commander cast their respective spells? Or only one can do it since the character is now part of the squad? Since it's possible to cast (B) spells as AP(0) via Psychic Mastery (B), how many of these spells could they (character + squad) cast? And do (B) spells affect both the squad and the character, or only one of them?
>>
>>53238295
And another thing: do Heals gained from different sources stack (up to 8 max) or not?
>>
File: Wrath of Kings.jpg (211KB, 1440x650px) Image search: [Google]
Wrath of Kings.jpg
211KB, 1440x650px
Has anyone tried Wrath of Kings?
The models look really cool and I was wondering if the rules were fun.
>>
How do I find people to play /awg/ with? Should I be attempting to drag friends into it with me?
>>
>>53238464
the rules are pretty cool, somethign kinda different mixed in with some more standard stuff. Your deployment zone is split into bands, and different units deploy in different bands. Tryign to kill somethign rolls against a chart on the target's card to see what happens, so they can be like "this dude's good at parrying attacks, so he gets a bunch of those." and if your guy is good at breakign parries, he's fucked.
>>
File: fuckhead.jpg (21KB, 280x213px) Image search: [Google]
fuckhead.jpg
21KB, 280x213px
For lotr, do you guys prefer the warbands style of hero + up to 12 chumps or the model count limit from legions?
>>
>>53238464
>Feet don't fit within the base
Always bugs me
>>
>>53238464
Tried it out. Didn't really have the funds to get into it, and the community dried up here. Game was fun though, and had some good ideas.
>>
found a blog with reviews
http://deltavector.blogspot.pe/2016/08/a-look-back-starship-troopers.html

Has anyone used this family of rules or Victory Decision? interested in how it runs
>>
>>53239657
By painting 2 armies and getting a friend to play with one and hopefully buy his own.
>>
>>53242878
I've followed Delta Vector before for its posts about game design. Actually really good info there.
>>
>>53235779
>Osprey - OPK – Dwarf
>Osprey - OPK - Orc Warfare
I'd really love to see these, anon.

>>53238295
Yes, 'tis the place, but sadly I can't help - the rules appear to be a clusterfuck, I see a lot of threads in the Facebook group asking for rules clarifications.
>>
>>53231562

That looks fucking cool.
>>
>>53235779
So I don't want you to feel rushed or anything, but I just broke my foot today and am going to be stuck on my ass for a few weeks it looks like.

So now would be a perfect time to read these :)
>>
>>53242878
SST was an amazing gem of a wargame and I am sad it died. It's what weaned me off warhammer only diet.
>>
>>53243777
Preach!
Bummed my shoulder, can't do my lifting and carrying job, can't paint for long, definitely can read.
>>
>>53244039
As the review stated, it had a generic scifi version too.
>>
>>53238295
Welcome to the war for humanities soul, my space-gook playing friend. I'm anon, and I will be trying to answer your questions for today.

>1) if a vehicle (in this case, a Mishima Meka) in a single model squad (that would qualify it as a squad commander I think) can take and cast psychic/ki powers.
That is correct, it can buy and cast powers(buff, debuff and shooting and make some interesting combos out of it) it just can't benefit from the effects of psychic(b) spells.(pg.33 Psychic Powers, Buff(b))

>2) The power Batta no Choyaku gives Leap (8). Am I right in thinking that, since leap counts as walk action, it would cancel the Tiger Dragons' "Flesh to stone" rules, since it's a cast action that gives an effect that counts as a walk action?
You are correct here, if you decide to cast Batta no Choyaku and make a move with leap(8) you would then lose the effects of Flesh to Stone.

>3) What happens when a character capable of casting Psy/Ki/Dark powers joins a squad that can do the same? Does both he and the squad commander cast their respective spells? Or only one can do it since the character is now part of the squad? Since it's possible to cast (B) spells as AP(0) via Psychic Mastery (B), how many of these spells could they (character + squad) cast? And do (B) spells affect both the squad and the character, or only one of them?
1) The joining character still has access to their range of powers separate from the psychic squad they've joined. In an example of my own I play brotherhood and want to take a squad of Visionaries(pistol nuns) they can only take powers from the Kinetics discipline of the Art, but I want them to be more survivable, so I purchase Roberto Feltordo as one of my characters who can take powers from the Mentalism discipline that really complement my gun-nuns. Both have their own powers, and both can cast them in their activation.

cont.
>>
>>53229605
If we're going to have those minis in the OP, can we get the rules for Patrol Angis as well? :)
>>
>>53244379
2) As per the Action Rules chapter(pg.14) "No action except ‘Cast’ can be performed more than once per model per game turn (see psychic powers for more details)." and on the psychic powers chapter(pg.33) "A model can cast more than one power in the same game turn, but may not cast the same power or type of power (B,D or S) twice." So, following this, you can cast as many powers as you have action points to do so, but you can't cast the same type of power more than once. So a psychic character+squad could, if the rolls are with them, cast two Buffs, two Debuffs, or two Shooting psychic powers in whatever combination seems like the best at the time.

3) For Buff spells affecting the squad and character, the spells in question will define this by stating either range:caster or range:squad. It may also refer to a single model in the effect, e.g. "Cleared Path (10 PTS): Psychic (B) Range: 12. This model may add the Battle Focus bonuses to all of its attacks when using a Battle Focus Action."

>>53238376
>Do Heals gained from different sources stack (up to 8 max) or not?
I'm pretty sure that's correct.

And there we go, I hope I was helpful to you.
>>
>>53244379
>>53244593
Thank you, my dishonoraburu friend.

>That is correct, it can buy and cast powers(buff, debuff and shooting and make some interesting combos out of it) it just can't benefit from the effects of psychic(b) spells.(pg.33 Psychic Powers, Buff(b))

Damn it, I missed it. I was already dreaming of a AP(0), Leap(8) Meka. I'm sad.

>3) For Buff spells affecting the squad and character, the spells in question will define this by stating either range:caster or range:squad. It may also refer to a single model in the effect, e.g. "Cleared Path (10 PTS): Psychic (B) Range: 12. This model may add the Battle Focus bonuses to all of its attacks when using a Battle Focus Action."

So, if a caster in a squad casts a range squad buff, does the buff affect both he and the squad? And if a squad commander of a squad joined by a character casts a range squad buff, does the buff affect both the squad and the character?
>>
>>53244852
>So, if a caster in a squad casts a range squad buff, does the buff affect both he and the squad?
That's correct.
>And if a squad commander of a squad joined by a character casts a range squad buff, does the buff affect both the squad and the character?
That is also correct.

Imperial Prevails!
>>
>>53244875
Imperial is made of thieves and bandits, totally incompatible with the concept of honor. Furthermore, I'm afraid I forgot who unleashed the Dark Legion upon the galaxy, have you any clues?
>>
File: Imperial Logo.jpg (14KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Imperial Logo.jpg
14KB, 200x200px
>>53244917
Imperial Prevails!
>>
>>53244379
>>53244593
>>53244875
(roleplaying aside, thank you very much kind sir, I've been trying to find answers online but it seems the rules aren't clear, at least not only to me, as >>53243468 said)
>>
>>53239657
Do it the same way non-mainstream /hwg/ players do it:
Create/find a scenario, paint up both sides and invite people to play it with you. Even if you end up just being an umpire.

If people like it, they might buy into it.
>>
File: dragon_mishima_shop.jpg (181KB, 1800x1350px) Image search: [Google]
dragon_mishima_shop.jpg
181KB, 1800x1350px
>>53244951
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my awesome dragon bike.
>>
>>53245006
That dragon bike is pretty dope, but is it dope enough to lift you out of NPC faction status? JK, looking forward to seeing these on the table.
>>53244968
I wouldn't say that the rules are a clusterfuck, there's been a lot of work going into it for 2nd edition to clean it up and tighten definitions, rumbling from the rules writers say there'll be another errata later this year to further clean it up. I think this is just something that will always be a thing for the really granular wargames to go through.
>>
>>53244971
Just like what this anon says, to build an /awg/ community you gotta build it from the roots up.
>>
>>53245114
I know, especially with such a titanic body of infos, background and profiles. It's just that when something isn't clear, you don't have the whole "In this area, we play it like this" that other, more succesful games have.

The dragon bike is pretty dope indeed, and unlike Imperial, Mishima doesn't need anything to help them further. Imperial, on the other hand, has to steal from Capitol, Bauhaus and the Broterhood. When they can't steal, they beg. They do have some very fancy hats though.

(This banter takes me back to the old times, I just need a Baaaawhaus dukejockey to insult and then I'll feel young again)
>>
>>53231902 here

The robot army continues with this Naga/Metal Gear boss/legally distinct Catapult

This is the first army I've tried to go beyond simple conversions and basic painting on, I've gone and bought extra parts, made the nets, made bases from structural filler etc.

It's still crap compared to some painting I see (a couple of guys at my club have been at Games Day/in White Dwarf back in the day) but it's a great feeling to have done something a bit more personalized.
>>
>>53245350
>...and the Brotherhood.
When did Imperial ever steal anything from the Brotherhood? In all the fluff I've read I've never come across them eyeing off some sweet, sweet, Brotherhood assets.

>The dragon bike is pretty dope indeed, and unlike Imperial, Mishima doesn't need anything to help them further.
They throw an autistic shitfit over the use of rifles on the field, there's a lot that they need help with.
>>
>>53245542
But Flamethrowers are HONORABRU.

Gotta paint some 2nd ed Mishima dudes...picked up an almost complete army from a Slovakian shop who wanted to gouge me on postage...but it was worth it in the end, and now I have lots of Ashigaru, Ronin Samurai, plus some odds 'n ends.Lots of nice sculpts in Mishima, even for older stuff.
>>
Are there any wargames that are like FOSS? Anyone can contribute to them, the rules or pieces (or whatever) are freely available online, etc?
>>
>>53246230
Oh yeah, man, I've been wanting to get some of the 2nd ed. Bushido Samurai off of Prince August for a while, but the shipping from Ireland is pretty bad coming down to Aus. Recently got some of the new unicast Wolfbane Headhunters and Sean Gallagher models. I think I may replace Seans sword, seems a bit too short for a Gallagher Claymore, and a family hierloom one at that, might carve a new one from plasticard and make it maybe a centimeter/centimeter and a half longer... Of course there's all my other shit in the backlog I need to paint first before I even get to them. And the new set of terrain I need to build for my demo kit. And then there's the battle report I was going to write for this thread. Fuck.

It's going to be a busy time.
>>
>>53246710
I have a complete box of those - once I get around moulding those, I'll tell you.

Shit, didn't do any progress with those Heavy Infantry since...
>>
>>53246742
That's ok, I still haven't sent those light infantry, either. We suck at this trading thing.
>>
>>53245542
You're right, they don't steal from the Brotherhood. They steal from Capitol, Cybertronic, Bauhaus and Mishima. They instead beg from Capitol, Bauhaus, Brotherhoood and Cartel. My bad. But hey, since I've made a terrible mistake, maybe now I can be a Brotherhood yesman too! I'm already buying online the berets and the meaningless medals I need for my special forces, the Sea Lifeguards Off-White Maybe A Bit Azure Berets. I can be the head of my own clan, the Imperial Mishima Autowerks. I hear being traitors is in vogue in Imperial.
>>
File: Prussian-Empire-Knights.jpg (220KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Prussian-Empire-Knights.jpg
220KB, 1000x750px
Dystopian Legions is one of those games where I look at some models and think "Man, I want some of those," and then I see others and question the designer's mental state.
Anyone played it? I'm curious about the rules.
>>
>>53246818
Well, one day...me being sick and broke doesn't help either.

Got some nice new stuff in the meanwhile, a Billy the Heretic model, a Pegasus Scout Bike, which fits rather badly...
>>
>>53248290
I think Spartan abandoned the game after being distracted by a particularly colourful butterfly or something.
>>
File: iaf128_750pix_1024x1024.jpg (64KB, 750x494px) Image search: [Google]
iaf128_750pix_1024x1024.jpg
64KB, 750x494px
>>53244380
The problem is nobody buys the rules as pdfs since physical books are nicer and cost almost the same.

t. someone who has both PA and CT in meatspace.
>>
>>53248700
God damnit. It keeps happening - this time a butterfly, before this a piece of tinsel, then it was a particularly spastic kitten...

I figure it's dead, but some of the models I really like. I just wish the scale wasn't so wonky so I could use them in other games.
>>
File: Dystopian_Legion_Comp.jpg (88KB, 650x299px) Image search: [Google]
Dystopian_Legion_Comp.jpg
88KB, 650x299px
>>53248739
You could get away with it with the armoured dudes or the vehicles, stuff like that.

But yeah anything recognisably human is going to look wonky.
>>
File: Terrier-1.jpg (247KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Terrier-1.jpg
247KB, 1000x667px
>>53248767
And I do like the look of some of the vehicles.
>>
>>53231200
It's worth pointing out that in Lion Rampant, you didn't have the whole SP thing - it was just figures. That did include a tiny optional section on using it for fantasy which suggested using figures that represent multiple points.

>>53231943
Little die with the unit that starts at 2 and is removed first?

>>53232290
They should give it big V-shaped antennae or something, or a hat.

>>53235464
FiveCore. 5150 or Chain Reaction. Do you have any other wargaming experience? Lots of games can be adapted for fun times.

>>53243068
Good blog, that one.
>>
>>53248963
They have some adorable tankettes that I'm eyeing up for VSF conversion, but in general I don't like Spartan's aesthetic.
>>
>>53249211
It's really, really hit or miss.
It's actually a bit hard to figure out - I mean, even different units within a faction can have wildly different aesthetics to them.
The only thing I can figure is that there are a bunch of different designers all working on the same project who are only communicating sporadically.
>>
Warzone Resurrection noob here again, what do you guys think, does it look like a good take all comers list?

Lord Commander Natsuki 140
-Sai no Kawa free
-Batta no Choyaku free
-Psychic Mastery (B) 10

10 ronin samurai 155
-Psychic Mastery (B) 10
-Tora no Haikai 10
-Taka no me 5

5 Ebon Guard 135
-Cybertronic Upgrade (small base) st+2 (10)
-Ushi no Pawa 5
-Hebi no Sutoraiki 5
-Psychic Master (B) 10

6 Tiger Dragons 170
-exchange weapons 30
-Psychic Master (B) 10
-Taka no me 5
-ushi no pawa 5

Meka 150

750 points
>>
>>53251399
Whops, my bad. It's commander Nozaki, of course.
He should join the ebon guard and proceed to wreck face.
I may sobstitute one of his free powers with Rairyu no Sutoraiki in order to have a bit more "antitank".
>>
>>53248720
:(

I guess you're right...

And how do you feel the rules are?

I'm tempted, but wanted to take a look first. May pull the trigger either way though.
>>
>>53252875
They're pretty interesting. Stuff dies very quickly, so cover is very important (and therefore you need to plan your movement quite carefully to not get caught out, especially when overwatch comes into play). Having initiative is also super important because the player with initiative gets to pick casualties, so if your opponent has it then get ready to lose your special weapon dudes and squad leaders rather than expendable goons.

Army building is a bit different in that there is a fairly strict platoon structure you have to follow, but within that structure you have a lot of freedom as to what your individual dudes are equipped with. I guess it goes some way towards avoiding that classic 40k problem of cheesy lists that don't make a lot of actual military sense.

For more, here's a video AAR and a couple of reviews/first impressions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_lx3A3iu7U

http://conflictcornucopia.blogspot.co.nz/2015/06/a-look-at-patrol-angis.html

http://beightonshipyard.blogspot.co.nz/2015/07/patrol-angis-first-impressions.html
>>
File: IMAGDoubleD.jpg (993KB, 1344x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAGDoubleD.jpg
993KB, 1344x1520px
>>53248739
>>53248767
>>53250510
Game has officially been relegated to 'mail order only', which considering their attitude to supposedly fully supported products means 'don't want to admit to another dead product line'

They did have a couple of Legions models at Salute this year that they've been threatening to produce for years, which suggests the Spartan cycle of neglect may coming around to Legions again as soon as they can wriggle out needing to do more work on the kickstarter.
>>
>>53254527
I still can't believe they even thought for a minute that a 15mm game would've been a good idea. Not even GW oversaturates like that.
>>
>>53254594
I don't understand what meaningful difference it could have had from Legions. I can see reasoning for a larger scale companion game to DW- play out more personal engagements, and get to play with big, detailed versions of DW models. But a game predicated on one of the reasons people are turning away from 40k seems like a poor plan. Empires seemed like a better idea than Legions in isolation, but with Legions already existing and dead, it was really a fuckawful idea. Shame, the 15mm scale would have been better for bringing in more of the heavy armour that the Dystopian world loves so much.
>>
>>53254594
Spartan is a company that has really neat ideas, incredibly poor impulse control, and has a terminal case of ADD.

>>53254527
Are those wavelurk Fresnels?
>>
File: Descartes-Battleships.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Descartes-Battleships.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>53254819
nah m8, the new Descartes battleship. Comes in cheap large and covenant bullshit flavours
>>
>>53249179
Thanks for the suggestions, reading some battle reports now. Iv'e a decent amount of experience war gaming, albeit historical battles rather than sci-fi skirmishes, so it's quite a leap for me. FiveCore looks interesting and unless awg and hwg are infested with shills it seems to be a popular suggestion.
>>
>>53245006
holy shit that is awful!
>>
>>53254936
That is hilarious. Stop making me want to play again, there's no one around here to play with.
>>
File: CoA_Submariine_Web_580.jpg (85KB, 580x342px) Image search: [Google]
CoA_Submariine_Web_580.jpg
85KB, 580x342px
>>53255509
No anon. Because I'm in the same situation, the only joy I can draw from DW is posting fun rules and complaining about Spartan.
>>
>>53255323

Yeah. Generally I like Warzone models a lot but that one did not work out.
>>
File: Dragon_Bike.jpg (220KB, 650x768px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon_Bike.jpg
220KB, 650x768px
>>53255323
>>53256174
Different strokes for different folks, gentlemen. I happen to like it a lot, even though I would have liked it even more if it had been more like its older design.
>>
>>53253062

Thanks for the links! I'll give it a look! It's getting harder to resist!!!
>>
>>53251399
Hey again, space-gooks, looking over your list I'd like to suggest bulking out your troops slots by splitting that 10 man squad of Ronin into two groups of 5. That way it nets you another resource card and you spread around more powers. I'd also have a think about splitting that Tiger Dragons squad into two squads of 3, maximize those activations. But I may be thinking wrong about them, I don't play Mishima personally, but they are a fairly regular opponent for me, and the pair of minimal T-Drags squads have fucked me pretty good in the past.

Ultimately, play a couple games with both your current list and my suggestions, see what works out best for you.
>>
Are there any Anima Tactics recasters out there?

The game is kill and sodapop doesn't even sell the models anymore. In addition, aftermarket is dead as well.
>>
>>53235779
So... Any status on doing a mega for these or..
>>
File: Laser Jagds.jpg (408KB, 799x1799px) Image search: [Google]
Laser Jagds.jpg
408KB, 799x1799px
>>53255618
God damnit anon you're not helping. You know how much I miss my DysWars stuff? It was one of the few games where I actually finished armies - that and Dust, actually. I might have to see what's cheap on Bartertown, just to paint some stuff.

Fuck Paolo Parente, also.
>>
>>53248963
Are those treads on backwards?
>>
I'm interested to know if any of you uses a generic wargaming rule set. is there anything similar to GURPS for minies? I mean, a system that is complex and haves variety, but at the same time it let you play with what you have at hand at the moment.
>>
>>53262306
There's hordes of the things I guess.
>>
>>53262306
there are a bunch of those.
The FiveCore systems, Grunts, Lion/Dragon Rampant, RogueStars etc.
All of those let you build your own units too.

Depends on what you are after. Genre, scale, scope...
>>
>>53261343
It helps the butter-smooth ride if your tracks have no purchase.
>>
File: 53672345735984.jpg (52KB, 900x700px) Image search: [Google]
53672345735984.jpg
52KB, 900x700px
>>53261343
Maybe. Possibly. I dunno, it's Dystopian Legions, nothing makes sense.
>>
>>53262504
what an heroic robogator
>>
>>53255312
>unless awg and hwg are infested with shills
worse, fans. and the odd game designer, although ivan (fivecore) isn't one of them. hwg does have someone who wrote a fivecore game though, the medieval skirmish one

the shilling tends to be nerds posting about their pet game rather than anything bad, the only ones you have to watch out for are the HIDF and their constant attempts to rope you into the greater hampshire co-prosperity sphere.
>>
>>53248767
Jesus, that guy is enormous.
>>
>>53242878
>a non-canon "skinnies" faction

But the SST game was based on the cartoon, where skinnies were so canon one of them ended up a Roughneck. And they're straight out of the book, too!
>>
>>53230318
I read the preview rules posted on the facebook page and I'm cautiously optimistic. It feels like the guy is blending Heavy Gear and Infinity to make Armored Core, with stuff like limited flight, limited use special weapons and an ARO/reaction system.

I'll keep an eye on the Kickstarter for sure, at the.least I'll probably buy some of the Landmate things and this Hygogg homage
>>
>>53266059
That is a pretty nice looking mech, wouldn't mind having one for the painting shelf.
>>
>>53266059
That's cool. Is there more on the rules? I want to know if it avoids some of Infinity's pitfalls like "order points" and critical hits.
>>
>>53266248
The Facebook page has a playtest ruleset and that will probably be on the KS when it goes live (supposedly today).

It has crits, but not order pools. Crits allow you to roll on a damage table that has permanent system damage, with multiple crits in one action adding to your roll rather than giving extra rolls. There is a "target's reactor explodes" Stackpole result but it needs a roll of 11+ off a double critical hit before it can happen.

Army building is 4 mechs plus up to 8 support units (infantry etc).

Each time a player activates units they can choose to activate one or two mechs. If you activate two as a link team style affair, one of them has to be designated as a support unit and gets a penalty to attacks but can do objectives normally (the idea being one guy focuses on shooting, covering his wingman). AROs are less cruel than Infinity - rather than every enemy shooting, one enemy shoots and each other one in LOS contributes dice to the attack.
>>
>>53266380
Seems interesting, I'll check it out. Been hoping for a decent mech game recently that isn't "old style" like BT or HG.
>>
>>53257110
Thanks for the tips, my Imperial friend. I was thinking about it, but I don't know if, by splitting the squads, I would sacrifice too much of my "buffing economy". Basically, in order to split, I would have to sacrifice Psychic Mastery on the squad commanders, so that I may have points to buy Ki powers for two squads. Then again, by splitting, I could potentially cast more, and after all it's just the squad commander that would sacrifice AP, in exchange I would have more resources, 2 more activations and another squad of tiger dragons to deploy via "rapid deployment" if needed.

Can I ask you what do you usually play with and against?
>>
>>53239657
1) Ask around at all the local shops, search for clubs online, etc. It can be a little tough, because the AWG crowd is mostly the older generation gamers who have established groups, and are not (usually) showing up for regular events. We do tend to overlap with the HWG crowd quite a bit, so if you see a couple old beardos playing napoleonics or WW2 at the back table in your store, just ask.

2) ABSOLUTELY drag your friends into it with you. As someone else said, paint up two starter forces to start, set up a scenario, and invite people to play.
>>
>>53238464
>Wrath of Kings
It's pretty decent. A lot of really unusual mechanics in the rules - so much so that it often feels like they were using the game as a testbed for new rules ideas. Everything from the scenarios to the deployment to the combat resolution is unusual.
>>
>>53248963
The tanks are great. I really liked some of the power armor / robots as well. Better get it now if you like it though. Once a spartan game goes to mail-order, it's only a matter of time before they clear it out.

>>53261343
>Are those treads on backwards?
Nah. The dystopian wars universe just has backwards dirt.

>>53263723
>that guy Jesus is enormous
Of course he was. Why do you think everybody was so impressed?
>>
>>53266380
Definitely seems interesting, I'll have to check it out.

Out of general curiosity, what do people think about ARO mechanics in general? Our group has been working on our homebrew system for years and this has always been a point of contention. I get them in infinity, where they're very much going for a "you poked your head out and it got blown off" feel... I just always feel like (relatively) unrestricted automatic reactions are a bit clunky.

I personally prefer an activated trigger-me mechanic (overwatch, covering fire, etc), since it seems like less book-keeping and is easier to balance. But I'm curious what people think. What do ARO's bring to a game that you can't get another way?
>>
>>53266938
>Can I ask you what do you usually play with and against?
Sure, man. Lately my friends and I have been playing around 1000 point games, here's what I've been taking...

Imperial Gas Platoon. A.K.A. Auschwitz on Wheels.

Characters:
Imperial Officer; MoH: Mars. 65
NCO. 30
NCO. 30
NCO. 30

Troops:
Stormtrenchers; 5 men with a Gehenna Puker. 100
Stormtrenchers; 5 men with a Gehenna Puker. 100
Trenchers; 5 men with a Charger HMG. 75
Trenchers; 5 men with a Charger HMG. 75

Support:
Greyhound Squadron; 3 tankettes with Chimney Gas Cannons. 210

Light Vehicle:
Greyhound Squadron; 3 tankettes with Chimney Gas Cannons. 210

Transport:
Mule APC. 45

I've only had a single game with this list, the changes are the inclusion of the Greyhounds, normally I have a hurricane in my light vehicle slot and some Life Dragoons with mortars in my support or Blood Berets with Plasma Carbines. Also had a bad scenario roll for their first game, rolled up Free For All with it's bullshit escalation deployment, so everything dripped onto the table totally out of position, it was a mess. Though the Greyhounds were still rather effective against my Brotherhood opponent, even with the gas mask rerolls I still inflicted a good amount of choking, ghastly deaths. The stormies were pretty good too, when I had the resources to spend on them, I think I might drop the flame throwers and combine them into one big squad and load them into my Mule next time.

Cont.
>>
File: DSCF7450.jpg (2MB, 3698x1832px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7450.jpg
2MB, 3698x1832px
So, speaking of Warzone - which edition you prefer? I got the 1st ed Warzone: Resurrection book recently (that plus the Capitol book for a tenner), and have the 2nd and 3rd ed of the original rules. I like the card mechanics, but the 2nd ed stuff have a lot less different cards and stuff, plus they lack the older units, or have different loadouts. So...I'm a bit torn on which version should I actually play, thus I'm asking you about this.
>>
>>53266938
>>53267863
2/2
My opponents usual armies include Mishima, Bauhaus, Brotherhood, Capitol, and Cybertronic. I know we had some Dark Legion players but they've been radio silent for ages. 2 of the 4 Mishima players like to use a lot of Crimson devils, good RS, guns, armour, and gas masks make them pretty tough to flush out of a position or get into a gunfight with. The gas mines they put down can really fuck around with me, too.

The Brotherhood player plays in a classic gunline, trooper squads set up with sniper rifles, Inquisitors, and Emerald Bastion as far as the eye can see. Backed up by a Keeper of the Art and led by an Inquisitor Majoris and rounded off with a pair of Judicator Battle Walkers. It's honestly a fucking nightmare fighting this army, can't get close enough without heavy casualties, can't inflict enough damage at range because there's so much cover and hard-to-hit penalties, he's looking at easing off on it, trying out some melee supported builds, we'll see how it goes.

The Brotherhood player's also the Bauhaus player(we all own multiple armies) he also plays that as a gunline, but he's not got much in the way of units to work with, borrows a few of my Bauhaus squads when we break out that army, likes to use Etoiles Mortants with fire grenades and Venusian Rangers for general fuckery.

Capitol players both like air cav and marines, a bit of a no brainer, they're both good units, and Cybertronic likes to throw Attila mk.1s at the table with a horde of rocket toting Chasseurs following them from behind.
>>
>>53267968
They've all got their merits, I'm torn on the card mechanics and the changes to the deck system between WZR1e and 2e, on the one hand, making one universal deck is a much better way of doing things, since you're not trying to balance multiple corporate decks against each other, while also adding in brand new cards for each new unit you bring out for release. It really started to break down in the middle of 1e. Now on the other hand I had bought almost all the megadecks and was(and still am) a bit salty that they weren't going to be supported.

I'll have to go with WZR2e as my favourite, a lot went into cleaning things up, special abilities for instance, don't need 20 different ways to say "grants this squad -2 to be hit". It also gave a much clearer emphasis on the play styles of the armies e.g. Imperial battlefield prep, Bauhaus synergy etc. Though I do have a few bugbears about it, and these mostly come from the company itself like their infamous "6 month release schedule" that breaks down after 2 months, slow development of the setting fluff and the removal of a few mechanics and ideas I felt were pretty good but could have used some revision.(weapon damage modifiers, advanced squad actions, warlord types.)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things pick up and we see some nice developments, the new light vehicles coming down the pipeline are pretty neat, and the return of some old favourites to the factions from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition old warzone.
>>
>>53268259
I see. Will probably go with WZR 2e, tho I'll probably give a try to the old 2nd ed rules as well. The 3rd ed book, while I've read the rules, is still a bit terrifying to hold. Has some nice ideas I might borrow...

And to be honest, I'm not looking forward re-writing some units and/or army lists to have Invader armed Blood Berets or "normal" Golden Lions, tho I might just use those as Special Forces with plasma carbines...or simply Blood Berets as per the new rules.
>>
>>53268259
i am personally a sucker for complex rules, but damage modifiers really felt like a chore mostly, but i agree squad actions could have been made great.
>>
>>53267507
>>53266514
Well the KS is up

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1671822853/whisper-mecha-miniatures-45-60mm

Rules are going to be free, and the KS is initially for two poses of the basic mech with more to come later.

Prices start at $15 a model but drop the more you buy.
>>
>>53268443
The damage mods were something that just clicked for me, I can see(and did see) how people would either find them a bother or just forget about them entirely.
>>
Fucking hell, page 10 bump.
>>
>>53268443
Mixed bag. I don't mind rules that are complex as-written, but I HATE when rules are complex to execute. The old warhammery "five consecutive rolls referencing three different tables to resolve a single attack" is the bane of my existence.

I don't care at all if your rulebook is 200 pages long and covers every possible eventuality. That's fine. But if it takes longer than 90 minutes to play a small battle, we can't be friends.
>>
When will Spartan stop being shit? I want to play Planetfall.

Think Spartan Derek will turn shit around?
>>
File: Fortran Chandler.jpg (33KB, 287x558px) Image search: [Google]
Fortran Chandler.jpg
33KB, 287x558px
>>53235410
>>53243777
>>53244066
>>53235933

Hey kids Alt Osprey OP here, Now called Fortran Chandler (™)

I found more Osprey alt books than I thought a few files at a time in HWG. I put them up in a Mediafire folder and will update if I find any more. Someone is welcome to add this to the Osprey list posted to HWG and other chans.

I'm still looking for Elf and Steampunk Old West

Osprey Alternate History Books Trove Archive Thingy Folder

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/08hq9c7x4clme/Documents

PS just made the official logo 60 secs ago
>>
>>53271988
You da man! This needs to go somewhere in the OP
>>
>>53271822
Spartan won't stop being shit, at least not before another couple of their games get officially shitcanned. Assuming they don't go bust before that happens.
>>
>>53271988
Next pay period I will see if I can squeeze in buying the pdf for the american steampunk one. Unfortunately, the elf one isn't available on PDF yet.
>>
>>53271988
Thank you!
>>
>>53262504
That cigar dude looks stupid.
I can't tell if it's the awesome kind of stupid or the stupid kind of stupid.
>>
>>53267863
>>53268103
Have you tried gas against Mishima? One of our (I hope) future players seems to gear up with Greyhounds in his Imperials, and it seems Mishima (except Crimsons Devil, Screaming Devil and the named character that gets it when joining the Crimson Devils) is a bit short on gas masks.

I was thinking of buying a second starter for another faction, both for demo and variety's sake. I was thinking Cybertronic, since Nozaki can take a unit, Shiryo-X could be taken in both lists and Vince Diamond is a Doomtrooper, so there's a bit of interaction between, but I don't know, Dark Legion seems to be the least played faction, and the named character that fucks with opponent's resources and can be taken in the megacorps along with a unit of heretics seems interesting too. What would be a good match for Mishima in a starter vs starter match?
>>
>>53267355
The combat locations are fucking genius desu. They manage to mix probabilities so it isn't just a numbers and rerolls game.
>>
>>53272754
Haven't gotten to play gas versus the Mishimese yet, will be eager to give it a try though. As for the second starter Cybertronic would definitely be a good choice with abd against your Mishima. Cybertronic are pretty fun, the hardware upgrades they can take can make for some really interesting lists, though they do become points heavy if you do that, something to keep in mind. When I demo I always bring out my Dark Legion for a number of reasons. Firstly, they're the settings ultimate bad guys, makes for an easy sell and reference point for explaining the setting. Secondly, they're a great army, a lot of strong builds, great power synergy and once Prodos get off their lardy arses and get them out, Ilian's forces will make the faction one of the best looking on the table(not that they didn't already look fab).

I'd recommend Dark Legion, but if Cybertronic is what your heart is set on then by all means get them instead.
>>
If you are interested some guy made a discord for wargames matchmaking and i figured if somebody needs it it's us,so here it is.
https://discord.gg/kxqHHsF
>>
>>53276509
That's not a bad idea at all, I'll throw that around a few of the spaces I hang out at as well.
>>
>>53275107
Thing is, the Legion's starter set seems kinda low on points, 285 points or something like that, and they would have a shortage of resources since Undead Legionnaires don't produce them unless lead by a Necromutant, maybe I should degrade the Necromutant Leaders in the box to Necromutant, have them lead a squad of 5 Legionnaires each and throw in a Nepharite? Maybe Valpurgius? Or Alakhai?
>>
>>53276561
A regular Nehparite wouldn't be a bad choice at all to lead the army has a good ability to use with the Undead Legionnaires. But I see what you mean. Dark Legion starter is pretty light on points, you really do need to get some characters or a support squad to go along with it or pick up 2 of them. Valpurgis isn't a bad choice for leader and points filler either, the guy can be a real psychic powerhouse too.

Depends if you want to spend the money to bulk up a Dark Legion force or not. If you're not fussed about dropping the cash I recommend a few things, first option, grab a second starter and a Nepharite and a Golgotha, those two characters can make you some nice zombie based armies. Second option is grab again a second starter, Valpurgius, and a pack of either Praetorian Stalkers or Nasca Razides. Valp's options make for some great support for an army with dark symmetry to heal and buff the army and curse the enemy and his soulcharger markers to further help your multi wound monsters(Razides/Praetorians).
>>
>>53272716
That's the general reaction to most of the mini's from Legions - they're that special kind of stupid that defies classification.
>>
>>53277308
>Penny farthing tank

I love how stupid this is.
>>
File: tsar-tank.jpg (77KB, 800x599px) Image search: [Google]
tsar-tank.jpg
77KB, 800x599px
>>53279743
>>
>>53277308
that's a big base
>>
>>53271822
Derek is responsible for shitting up DW with the abortion that 2.0 was. Somehow they managed to make it worse than 1.1

I'm sorry, but I can't stand his style of game design. The decent writers responsible for improving Firestorm, their one consistently good game, all left.
>>
File: rc-small-tank.jpg (101KB, 580x438px) Image search: [Google]
rc-small-tank.jpg
101KB, 580x438px
>>53283963
I liked him better when he was just talking about new models.

>>53281003
Exists as pic related. >>53277308 is inspired by all those popular mechanics articles on spherical tanks.
>>
File: 1280px-Kugelpanzer.jpg (154KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Kugelpanzer.jpg
154KB, 1280x960px
>>53281003
Looks more like a big Kugelpanzer
>>
>>53276893
Yeah, I was thinking of "cheating" a bit and add Valpurgius in a starter vs starter match because he can take 5 powers, and with Call of Corruption (Algeroth D), Portal of Undeath (Algheroth D), Soulwither (Ilian D), Bringer of dark tools (Algeroth B) and Dark Banishment/Indigestion (Algeroth S) he could buff really well and help Undead Legionnaires recoup losses and/or improve their numbers.

And the Pretorian Behemoth is something I would like to deploy because of the sheer awesomeness of that model.
>>
>>53286221
The best thing about war is how it couples unchained imagination with unlimited funds. Suddenly, every new idea gets tested, no matter how stupid it may sound, because it might just be the thing that will win you the war.
>>
>>53286963
It warms my heart to see Warzone chatter in the awg! Great game with lovely models, so thank you for your chat guys
>>
>>53287088
Well, if we insist maybe we could try a Mutant Chronicles General.
>>
>>53287245
Don't you dare meme me.
>>
>>53287257
Why not? We have rpgs, wargames and card games. We won't mention the movie.
>>
>>53287352
But I actually enjoy the movie.
>>
>>53287408
If we weren't broken people we wouldn't be on /tg/.
>>
>>53287408
I'm ashamed to admit I did too. Perlman is god

So, back to chatter. Pretorian Stalkers: ranged or cc?
>>
>>53287408
I'll second that because it had two of my favourite actors in it, Sean Pertwee and Hellboy!! If course it was let down by John Malkovich who phoned in the same performance he'd use in Beowulf!

It got a lot wrong but was bad enough to be good, if that makes sense
>>
>>53287478
To my mind ranged I've got two units, but I've got a unit of cc just incase :)
>>
Has anyone played Freebooter's Fate and can give me his opinion on the game?
>>
>>53287478
I've played against both, and the rangwr certainly ruined my shit more. That stupid flamer of theirs basically one shotted a Vulcan.

One of my fondest moments was playing my buddy who brought a squad of CC Stalkers, dropped them in next to my Hussars who then proceeded, through sheer dumb luck, to tie them up for the entirety of the game. The Hussars even scored a kill jabbing at them with their combat knives. It was a true "DICE GODS, WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN ME?!" moment for my buddy.
>>
>>53287519
Yeah, the Scythe of Semai is really really good. With a Hindenburg Incinerator is borderline disgusting.

Has anyone tried an all-Praetorian list? Behemoths for troop and monster, Stalker for support and Goliaths to lead them?
>>
>>53287554
Lol that's really unfortunate for him, but really good for you.

>>53287583

I need to get a Goliath to lead them, but it sounds like a nice thematic idea. I'd love to give it a go
>>
>>53287583
My bad.

Behemoths for monster and maybe troops (if there are no other troops), Stalker for troop and support and Goliaths to lead.
>>
>>53287554
That's a sign your friend needs to go Ilian, Algeroth has spoken.

>>53287639
On paper it would be kinda strong too, maybe a bit limited, but a truckload of Praetorians of all sizes seems enough to ruin anyone's day.
>>
>>53287689
Would definitely class as a whole can of woop-arse!! It'd look really nice, but imposing. Could be interesting to use and/or face. Certainly be a challenge!!
>>
>>53287953
Yes, and since each Imp can take an Algeroth Powers, they could be at least decently supported. I'm thinking Call of Corruption and Bringer of Dark Tools, but Blindness could help against some big enemy target.
>>
>>53287469
>>53287478
>>53287500
Now I will admit that it doesn't work as a mutant chronicles movie that much. But on its own, it's one of those good levels inbetween stylized and cheesy scifi. It is a decent movie because of the performers you mentioned (I do really like Sean Pertwee) and the whole thing tried to look unique, something that I fear gets punished more than it should with hollywood nowadays.

It's not an award winning movie, but it's not bad either, and I just enjoy watching it with the amount of weirdness it tries to convey.
>>
>>53281003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkoZqslJGKM
>>
>>53287408
Me too, although it feels more like it was made about the time when they had to abandon all technology because the AIs went crazy, not at the "current" state of things.
>>
>>53283963
Sorry to disappoint you, but Derek is listed as the first listed primary writer in the dystopian wars 2.5 rulebook.
>>
File: 61234`234.jpg (8KB, 130x130px) Image search: [Google]
61234`234.jpg
8KB, 130x130px
>>53289745
Thanks anon. Always good to have information.
Information is good. yes.
>>
Ew, is Spartan still A.D.D. or have they settled on supporting a game or 2?
>>
Do you guys think Algeroth and the other models from Siege of the Citadel 2e are going to get rules for Warzone Resurrection?
I'm torn, on one hand it's a freaking Apostle we're talking about, it should be too powerful. On the other hand, it's a freaking Apostle we're talking about, how cool is that?
>>
>>53291850
Quite frankly, I have no idea, but really looking forward to receive and paint them.

Basecoated an old metal Nikodemus because I needed something to paint - IIRC there'll be one of him in the boardgame too, wonder how ridicolous they'll look next to each other.
>>
>>53291957
I'm mainly waiting for the Behemoth, because the only thing better than a Behemoth is a couple of Behemoths.
>>
>>53291850
I would love to see some cross platform rules support between SoTC and WZR but I doubt it will happen.
>>
>>53291849
Well, looking at their fb it seems their next plan is updating and/or ruining Firestorm Armada. Maybe the overwhelmingly negative response to the Dystopian Empires kickstarter kicked started some sense into them.
>>
File: concern.png (376KB, 900x702px) Image search: [Google]
concern.png
376KB, 900x702px
> Constantly distracted by new shiny stuff
> Always moving onto new projects before finishing them
> Being incapable of constraining themselves to a single theme or universe

Guys, what if we hate Spartan because secretly we ARE Spartan?
>>
>>53293820
DELET THIS
>>
>>53292505
I fully support and while heartily agree with this statement!

>>53293820

This implies that Spartan are just hobbyists and not business people. That's like lonnies running the asylum... You sir might well be onto something here..... And that's scary....
>>
>>53294032
That's the thing, Neil made his dorrar in publishing and Spartan Games came from other people wanting to play with the cool models he was getting made for himself.

Speaking of, the DW 2.5 rulebook's out for backers isn't it? How does it look?
>>
>>53283963
Don't worry. I have just finished reading the 2.5 rulebook and I can say with 99% certainty that it won't make DW better.

The remaining 1% are to take the case where the stars aligned and the ORBATS are actually balanced. Considering that none of the changes were even seen by the beta-test group, I fairly confident in this roll.
>>
>>53294228
It reads better, almost looking like a rulebook written by an actual company.

Beyond that, it's DW 2.0 with make-up. The changes to weapon systems and crit table make the game somehow deadlier than it already was. Boarding has been change to mostly look like a sane version of 1.1 rules. Carriers got overhauled again and I don't know if that's a good thing. The game got aggressively streamlined in many aspects (most notably indirect fire rules). Commodores now have 40K random trait tables. There's a bunch of "scenarios for competitive games" in there but they are some of the shittiest attempt of "competitive" anything I've seen in years. There's also campaign rules, though I went tl;dr at that section.

The generator rules are much better so that's something.
>>
>>53294586
Aggressive streamlining sounds positive to me. Firestorm Armada 2.0 has very little extra baggage in my mind and is much better off for it.
>>
>>53287689
Well this was back in 1st ed for WZR, so no Illian. He has since gone over to Mishima.

I keep debating getting Cybertronic, but part of me wants to wait for an updated HotSS so I can make my own leader models again.
>>
anyone have PDF DL for Frostgrave? thanks!
>>
File: CISCS2011_500[1].jpg (69KB, 500x614px) Image search: [Google]
CISCS2011_500[1].jpg
69KB, 500x614px
Why is it so hard to find Anima Tactics models. I just want a Cordelia Rosalind and maybe Morrigan.
>>
>>53298368
Because they're kill and they never really got widespread popularity to begin with. Which saddens me- the system was unbalanced as fuck, but the models were gorgeous.
>>
>>53298933
Eh, a bit hit and miss imho. It seemed that the designers didn't bother to constrain themselves to realities of miniature making and so many concepts didn't translate that well into figures itself, especially with the freelancers they were employing. Why Juan Navarro sculpts every female with a potato face, we will never know.
>>
>>53292736
I think Modiphius offers a deck of cards in the KS for "standard" heroes to be used in SotC.
>>
>>53299148
Some were awfully designed, I agree, but a good bunch of the later minis were pretty neat.
>>
>>53297399
One can never truly know with Prodos, but it seems that you'll have to wait a loooooong time before another Heroes of the Solar System, I'm afraid.

And if you don't get Cybertronic, you'll miss the chance to paint The Immortal in Hulk Hogan's colors.
>>
>>53294394
I've read it. It's deffo better than 2.0- the boarding rules not being a fucking mess now guarantees it. Better enough to save the game? It would take a better ruleset than any ever published to save DW from Spartan's mismanagement ADHD.

>>53294586
>>53295661
This is the company that published a campaign book that included a mission that was effectively unwinnable for one side. The scenarios really should just have been an option instead of rolling objectives. It looks like they just did a shitty job copy-pasting from the fan made tournament pack.

Random commodore traits are optional. Which is good, because some of them are terrible and some of them are fucking game winning.
>>
>>53299148
>Why Juan Navarro sculpts every female with a potato face
I can't even start to express how sad that makes me. I really wanted to get into this, but when I saw the faces I backflipped out of there. God fucking damnit, the models are so gorgeous yet hideous.
>>
Does anyone know where you can find the rules for quad/dual/twin weapons in the Antares main rulebook? From reading stuff online the gist more or less seems to be that it's just 4x/2x that gun, but for the life of me I can't find the actual rule.
>>
>>53277308
Well, dystopian wars setting is an alternate history WWI (sorta) and there were all kinds of "real" proposals / prototypes for wacky war engines and tanks at the time. Prettymuch from the introduction of the first steam traction engine, people were looking for ways to weaponize motor vehicles.

So a monowheel tank isn't really that far fetched. Several working monowheels were built (admittedly none with armor), but they had engineering limitations that kept them from taking off - steering especially.

But this is a universe specifically about "what ifs". Armed and armoured zeppelins never dominated the skies in RL, either. I think it fits in just fine.
>>
>>53302766
I actually just stumbled across it, it was p27 in the models with multiple weapons section.
>>
>>53294032
>This implies that Spartan are just hobbyists and not business people. That's like lonnies running the asylum... You sir might well be onto something here..... And that's scary....
This is how every game company starts. Ambitious gamer / hobbyist starts making things, friends like those things, suddenly you're making things for friends of friends, etc. Most creatives don't have a hell of a lot of business-sense though (or just aren't interested in running one), and that's when you start bringing in other people. Who those other people are and how they approach the game business is usually what decides if a company succeeds or fails.
>>
I've got a rules question about warzone resurrection.

Page 299
>Swarm: At the end of its activation, this squad of only Undead Legionnaires may be merged into another Undead Legionnaire squad within 8” that has already activated this turn as long as the resulting squad does not contain more than 15 Undead Legionnaires.

Does this mean I could merge a squad made only of Legionnaires into a squad lead by a Necromutant, provided the unit stops at 15 models and the merging squad does not have a Necromutant? Or for it to work both squads shouldn't have a Necromutant?
>>
File: Hobbit SBG.jpg (61KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
Hobbit SBG.jpg
61KB, 600x620px
Any SBG players in here?

The recent battle reports on warhammer community have inspired me to take a break from Fantasy and maybe do a quick SBG warband.

How viable are all cavalry Rohan? Probably in the 600 point range. Don't have to be super competitive but at the same time I don't want to be getting roflstomped week in week out.
>>
>>53303542
It's not as good as it was in Legions.
Just do a couple of strong heroes + 12 guys and don't get charged and don't let your mounts get shot.
>>
>>53303138
Don't get me wrong, I really like the DW universe. But the Legions models have this weird...I dunno, feel? I think the aesthetic that worked for Dystopian Wars doesn't translate well to the Legions scale.

Opinions, of course.
>>
>>53303542
>>53304960
what would you guys say is the 'standard' size for a LotR game? How many miniatures on foot are in a warband on average?
>>
>>53305586

People seem to go 500 as standard and 800 as a big game (for you).

>>53304960

I was thinking of running Théoden and Gandalf with a flag bearer, some royal guard and make up the rest with riders for an all mounted force.
>>
>>53305412
I think it's a combination of a few issues:
>same issue that caused the old armorcast 40k titans to look super goofy, the aesthetic was designed with tiny scales in mind and was just rescaled for larger models.
>spartan tried to make all the nation's uniforms super distinct from each other so they can't just do '19th century troops with assault rifles', and end up with weird designs like the Japanese troops
>humans are harder to make properly interesting as models with the constraints that DL had- in DW, any landship can look interesting because under all the design stuff, there's still a tank the size of a city block, while under the additional design elements in DL, it's just dudes.
>>
>>53305586
Mid 20's to high 30's depending on point limit, I mostly played 300 points.

>>53305628
Theoden helps offset Gandalf's cost, but correct me if I'm wrong he does have blinding light right? If so use that and some royal guard to clean enemy archers while you hang Theoden and his boys back in reserve until you can hammer the enemy from both sides with relative safety.
This doesn't take into account enemy cavalry though, nor the elusive chariot. Or monsters.
Shoot those with your riders as best you can or immobilize (the good version of transfix, I don't play good so this isn't at the top of my head) the big hitters with Gandalf and kill them with Theoden.
>>
For the hobbit players here, the warhammer community page mentioned a "dol guldur" theme list with some bonuses for playing it thematic in its discussion of sauron the necromancer, does anyone know much about that?

Also would Mouth of Sauron and some Black Uruk or Gundabag Orcs make a good list?
>>
>>53305831

I have no idea, I don't even know how to play.

I guess one good thing about SBG is since it's a pretty niche game now there shouldn't be any net listing faggotry.
>>
>>53306128
Oh no, there is definitely the chance for power gaming and making cheesy lists. It's only held back by most people that play the game being autistic and not wanting to break the lore of the books too much.
Nothing as fun as the shadow lord and a horde of warrior of karna archers, or an elf-dwarf spear wall with elf cavalry support. And fun I mean fuck you.

>>53306113
Just download the rules online and pick one of the various regions of middle-earth that interest you and download their sourcebook. It's piss easy to learn.
don't use mouth of Sauron, just use a nazgul for magic or gothmog
>>
>>53306302
Okay but do you know where to get there and back again? Apparently that had this thematic dol guldur list in it.
>>
>>53306461

That's the latest supplement for the game, £35 on GW website.
>>
>>53305628
>People seem to go 500 as standard and 800 as a big game (for you).
>>53305831
>Mid 20's to high 30's depending on point limit, I mostly played 300 points.
Thanks.
30 minis seems easy enough to get into to give it a try sometime. I like a lot of the minis anyway, I already bought some to use for other games.
>>
>>53306461
The only way to get that book is to shell out the cash for it.
The special rules you can get are also present in the sourcebooks. To give an example, if you take all of your models from certain lists within the fallen realms book then your force can take 1/2 bows instead of 1/3. Things like that.
https://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/27764819/
>>
>>53303310
As it is written, yes. It only says the squad that joins another has to be made of Undead Legionnaires exclusively, so, as far as I'm concerned, you're good to go.
>>
>>53306978
>>53306978
Well looking at the Mordor sourcebook, the Necromancer would take up a sizeable chunk of my army and let me upgrade regular orcs to have the fight stats of uruk hai, but not the strength or courage. I don't really understand the rules fully, but it seems the "fury" spell of an orc shaman pretty much fixes that and gives them a 6++ save as well. So maybe The Necromancer, an orc shaman or two and some orc warriors to start with? Maybe grab some castellans of dol guldur for fluffy reasons, and because the spirit "will is fate, die when out of will" mechanic seems interesting to play with.
>>
>>53307270
It's a good place to start. Just remember channeled fury is a gamble that's worth it as your shamans are nothing but ward save providers and negators of terror, and that castellans are cheap hero assassins. Not as good as hasharin though.
>>
>>53307466
Dul Goldur orcs are 7 points, whilst an uruk hai is 8. Is that 1 point discount (and using orc drummers etc instead of uruk hai drummers) worth losing one point of S?
>>
>>53307523
You can piercing strike now, one point of strength is not as important as before.
Besides, if you want uruks you either bring the black guard or play Isengard.
>>
>>53303218
Since you are talking about it, are you reading a pdf or do you have it in paper? Because people often ask for a pdf, but i never saw it posted.
>>
Still seems SBG is pretty popular.

Maybe we should run a weekend thread for it?

Or maybe a Lord of the Rings general for all things /tg/
>>
>>53308368
Nah, that won't go anywhere. No need for a separate thread, at least /awg/ is a bit more active than usual.
>>
>>53303542
I'm trying to get into it - it had been my first /tg/ game when it came out (and I was like 12), but then I dropped it for Warhammer...

I've got my hands on a few very cheap deals for basic troops and now I have a lot of them but basically no 'special' units like monsters or special infantry. I have around 24 Gondor soldiers, 12 Rohan warriors and a couple riders, around 30 Elf warriors (the swordmen and archers from the Last Alliance), 20something warriors of arnor (as above), around 40 Moria goblins and 40 Mordor orcs, 20 Uruk-hai with pikes and sword and shield, and a good bunch of heroes. I'm trying to find out what could I add to make a few entertaining armies to play with my friends.
>>
>>53308564
You could in theory just pit good against evil using hail caesar or some other historical. Just don't use WoTR.
>>
File: 1302963254068.jpg (418KB, 2017x1147px) Image search: [Google]
1302963254068.jpg
418KB, 2017x1147px
>>53303542
>>53304960
>>53305586
>>53305628
>>53305831
>>53306113
>>53306128
>>53306302
>>53306461
>>53306497
>>53306539
>>53306978
>>53307270
>>53307466
>>53307523
>>53307523
>>53307622
>>53308368
>>53308429
>>53308564

i think later this year they are putting out another rule book and branding the game "Battle Games of Middle Earth" or something like that.

im just biding my time, painting my urkhai and iron hills forces.

Personally i would love to see War of the Ring make a comeback. that was such a blast to play.
>>
>>53308722
Yeah, it will be a new rulebook that brings the legacy armies into line with the hobbit stuff. so they'll get army wide rules for making fluffy lists, the special strikes and magic are getting rebalanced. hype is up as i sit here painting Easterlings.
>>
>>53308722
If they do that I hope they fix the warbands. I'm fine with them because it makes deployment easier but just 12 dudes is a bit stifling.
Also they need to fix weapon rules, because elves with axes is silly yet entirely legal. And not silly fom a modeling stand point, I mean the only reason moria orcs don't keep doing it is because no one cares enough to give them axes and just feints instead of getting potential strength 5.
>>
>>53308722

I think now that Fantasy is no longer supported there's definitely a market for an old school setting like middle-earth. I'm sure FW can make it work. I would leave WORT in the annals of history though.
>>
>>53308722
>Personally i would love to see War of the Ring make a comeback. that was such a blast to play.
>100+ minis needed to play
>each costs at least 6-8GBP
>even more for Aussies
>half the stuff are unavailable

Highly unlikely, anon. It was a kind of flawed idea with the GW pricing and blister contents.
>>
>>53308934
>>53308932
WOTR was a good idea and the rules were actually sound. it was just prohibitively expensive even for GW. But with Forge World taking over, it ain't ever gonna happen.
>>
>>53308934
The game had this weird in between thing of warhammer and stand type of wargames like warmaster. They should have focused on one or the other.
Even if that would mean it's just 25mm warmaster.
>>
>>53308959
Didn't say it was bad, it just didn't really work how it should have. Most of the metal ranges should have been transferred to plastic, like the Rivendell Spearmen, Númenor Archers and Spearmen, etc. I have all two books needed to play (one is optional anyways), and slowly but surely gathering enough stuff to field a large-ish high elf army.

>>53308963
Well, there was Battle of the Five Armies...

WotR worked, and I like the stand system it uses. A really good blend of the styles you've mentioned IMHO.
>>
File: 1480652419000.jpg (235KB, 867x655px) Image search: [Google]
1480652419000.jpg
235KB, 867x655px
>>53308959
>forge world
>not prohibitedly expensive
>>
>>53309027
that's what i said. "it ain't ever gonna happen". as in no one's going to buy a mass model game from forge world
>>
>>53309163
Krieg armies exist.
>>
>>53309200
yeah, as a compliment to plastic cadians and catachans. only a few very rich fucks have a full guard sized army of them.
>>
>>53309200
those are vanity 40k armies though.
A game whose bread and butter units have to be bought from FW might fare a bit different.

On the upside there are a bunch of really nice small scale minis that would look at home in LotR with the right settings. As long as the rules are officially supported and the game looks alive it might still have an active community.

I mean Epic and Necromunda have been played throughout the years too. So much so that the community kind of developed a sense of ownership and updated the rules themselves.
>>
>>53309291
>On the upside there are a bunch of really nice small scale minis that would look at home in LotR with the right settings
>with the right settings
meant to write paintjob
>>
>>53309291
The only reasonable things in hobbit fw right now are the iron hills dwarf soldiers and the command pack.
>>
>>53309412
Have you seen the size of the trolls? and the detail of Thranduil and Dain? they are easily worth their money. and the ogres too for that matter.
>>
>>53309467
You are objectively wrong.

15GBP boxes of 24 soldiers, o where art thou
>>
>>53309467
the berserkers of the FW range look really cool, but to be completely honest I don't remember them in the movies. And I dread to watch them again...

I mean they looked great, that's probably due to guillermo del toro being attached at first, but the films themselves were resoundingly mediocre.

>>53309505
eh, the price of a thing is objectively the same for everyone, the value may not be.
I can't afford FW either
>>
>>53309505
don't use objectively incorrectly. it makes you look like an idiot.
>>
>>53309550
They were there, they just weren't as stand out as the uruk beserkers from the two towers.
>>
>>53309589
I used objectively objectively correct.

FW stuff is expensive, even their cheapest stuff.
>>
>>53309615
correctly*
fixed that for you.
FW always has been. it's what it's known for. but it's not finecast. which is all the plus it needs.
>>
>>53309675
Thank youdly.

Well, I'm not ready to sell a kidney for a small SBG army from the Hobbit movies I haven't got around watching yet - I'm hapy with my ultra-super-duper rare metal heroes from the originl movies and GW's artistic license back in the days when they were more...creative that still costs half as much as an FW dwarf character.
>>
>>53309467
But what are you getting out of it?
I can't stand the hobbit movies so I prefer the older Thranduil. As for the ogres why should I use them over trolls?
I find myself asking why over a lot of the Hobbit stuff.
>>
>>53310080
Hobbit doesn't exists.

Perry Thranduil > transsexual Thranduil

Rivendell Knights are nice tho and the first "Good" plastic kit finally got their cavalry support too.
>>
>>53310144
That's the problem, they're good sculpts but they're good sculpts from the dumb shit that was Jackson's star wars prequels.
>>
>>53310270
At least those gave us the Clones, basically the only thing I like from the prequels.
>>
File: epic_800.jpg (245KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
epic_800.jpg
245KB, 800x600px
>Ctrl+F "Brikwars"
>0 Results
Welp...
BRRRRRRRIKWWWWWWWAAAAARSSSS!!!

www.brikwars.com
>>
>>53311505
I'm meh about brikwars. I prefer mobile frame zero
>>
File: DSCF1629.jpg (2MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1629.jpg
2MB, 3072x2304px
>>53311587
>I'm meh about brikwars. I prefer mobile frame zero
And I'm the exact opposite, but at least you can use Frames in Brikwars!
>>
>>53238464
I bought into the KS and got one full set of each army. Ended up giving them away to friends so I would have people to play with (after no one local was willing to buy the armies).

Game itself runs like a dream. Units are all interesting, and the models are beautiful. Also, it's on the cheaper side of tactics wargames to get into. There are some things that stand out, like individual hit charts for each character, and mission objectives, and other things that are pretty standard.

One of the more interesting aspects is being able to move and attack with each unit individually, or being able to make a combine activation and move/attack with an entire group of units. You can theoretically take a number of actions equal to the total number of units in your army during a single turn if you wanted to be a dick and waste time like that (it's also not super effective).

I just found out yesterday that they are still releasing new units and rules updates/various products, so it's not a dead game. Highly encourage people to check into it.

>>53240639
My biggest complaint.
>>
>>53238464
Very nearly bought it. I was going to use some of the models as alternate inquisitorial henchmen.
>>
It's been a while since one of this threads has reached the bump limit, it'd be a shame if it died right now
>>
File: Arrowroot and Bromosel.jpg (52KB, 787x576px) Image search: [Google]
Arrowroot and Bromosel.jpg
52KB, 787x576px
>>53314773
What do we talk about then?
>>
File: towels.jpg (43KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
towels.jpg
43KB, 600x480px
>>53314949
This is always the great difficulty of /awg/
>>
>>53314949
>>53315173
let's get back to wrath of kings then, i never played it, but reading the rules it feels like it might be a bit too simple between the "few" options in army creation and in moving units too. Is that just my impression?
>>
File: confrontation2.jpg (531KB, 1251x781px) Image search: [Google]
confrontation2.jpg
531KB, 1251x781px
I am reading Rackham's "Confrontation"(3rd edition) and i am quite liking it, does anybody have any experiences to share?(also what do you think about confrontation rag'narok?)
>>
>>53315834
Where are you getting that? i cant find anything about it on their website
>>
>>53315942
this is an italian site,but it has everythign and you should be able to get even if you don't understand italian. By their site i am guessing you mean cadwallon games, they only "inherited" the game or something(not too sure on how it went) since rackham is dead and i have no idea if any of those are the current rules of the game, but people still play them so either cadwallon made a very big difference in the rules, or they just sell the miniatures and didn't bother working on the rules.
>>
>>53316536
And of course forgot the only important part, it won't let me post the link, google conforntation pills.
Also i noticed the site has an english option and that this is some kind of organization which worked on a fanmade updated rulebook so i think cadwallon didn't bother with the rules.
>>
>>53315211
I felt that way before the second book hit. The extra stuff really helps with the army creation options. Plus, the way the leader gives out the army wide rules makes a huge difference on how you build.
>>
>>53308934
>>53308959
>>53308963

Yeah War of the ring was expensive. even back when you got 24 minis in a basic plastic troop box for $25. Now its $25 for 12 minis!

Even if my dream comes true and they bring back most / all of the OOP minis that sell for stupid money on eaby i can see myself buying enough to do WoTR when i only need 10 to 15 for a SBG.
>>
>>53238464
Seconding this, I think Hadross models are beautiful but I know nothing about the game and the fluff, apart from those little blurbs on the website.
>>
>>53303236
Or the company is bought out by someone with business sense, who takes the idea made by the hobbiest and changes it so it is easier to produce and market. Case and point: Warhammer's transformation from 3rd to 4th edition after Tom Kirby's takeover of the company.
>>
File: 1329309838313.jpg (247KB, 1023x767px) Image search: [Google]
1329309838313.jpg
247KB, 1023x767px
>>53319096

4th edition was the golden years of 40k.
>>
File: 1409962688956.jpg (262KB, 600x329px) Image search: [Google]
1409962688956.jpg
262KB, 600x329px
>>53319118
I was talking about 4th edition fantasy. Kirby had been in charge for 12 years by the time 4th edition 40k came out.
>>
>>53319118
I know this thread isn't for 40k talk but I have to say 8e is looking to be it's triumphant return.
>>
>>53319183
Initially I was excited, but the more I know, the less I care.
>>
>>53319183
I doubt it. Warhammer will never have the market share it had in the past, as it will neither bring back many grognards that left nor be able to recruit younger people as much as it did in the 90s and early 00s.
>>
I don't really care much for the chariot, but those goats are really fucking awesome.
>>
File: martian-banshees-linebreakers.jpg (82KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
martian-banshees-linebreakers.jpg
82KB, 800x800px
Bump for Capitol. You wish you were half as cool as these guys.
>>
File: Martian_Banshees.jpg (221KB, 650x291px) Image search: [Google]
Martian_Banshees.jpg
221KB, 650x291px
>>53320279
If only they didn't have little baby hands.
>>
>>53320217

Well made but these are the parts of that film I hated, retarded chariot chase with machine-gun crossbows on them.
>>
>>53320969
Still less dumb than what happened to Radagast. I can mostly ignore the goat cavalry because next to Azog they are inoffensive. I mean there's no reason why it should even exist, but the same goes for isengard trolls.
>>
>>53321259
>Still less dumb than what happened to Radagast.
Yeah, I though his indignified portrayal as shroomed up, slightly deranged hippie weirdo was rather disappointing.
>>
So i got some hunter orcs for a start to the hobbit game, im planning to convert one of them to be the captain. Next i think ill get either fell wargs or hunter orcs ON fell wargs, which do you guys reckon are better?

Also is keeper of the dungeons good?
>>
File: image.jpg (87KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 600x600px
considering how slow they were moving in the beginning, does anybody else feel like they are moving too fast now?
I haven't even gotten around to read the Xilos Horizon yet.

Well, at least the game is alive and kicking.
>>
>>53321366
>Still less dumb than what happened to Radagast.
>Yeah, I though his indignified portrayal as shroomed up, slightly deranged hippie weirdo was rather disappointing.
What, no mention of his transportation?

I actually can't comment on the comparative ridiculousness of stuff that came later - never bothered to catch part 2 or 3 after the travesty that was the first one. Just went home, watched the Rankin Bass cartoon hobbit to wash away the dirty feeling, and promptly forgot about it.
>>
File: 22259358634_c2faf17db9_b.jpg (135KB, 1024x447px) Image search: [Google]
22259358634_c2faf17db9_b.jpg
135KB, 1024x447px
>tfw you were a 40kid and didn't realise how lovely so much of the LotR range is, and was like £15 for 24 miniatures instead of 10 at the time
>all you have is the Mines of Moria with the plastic Fellowship and a few random bits nicked from bitz boxes

I was a fool. Some of the Perrys' best work, lot of it looks enjoyable to paint too.
>>
>>53321479
His rosgobel rabbit sled is precisely the reason I brought him up.
you should watch the rest just to see that despite how bad things get, they can always become much worse. Especially the third one
>>
>>53321484
I know, right? And to think, at the time I thought the kid I knew who greatly ramped down his involvement in WHFB and 40k to get into LotR was making a huge mistake.
>>
>>53319096
Whether Kirby coming to GW was the end of the beginning or the beginning of the end depends a bit on who you ask. I tend to be in the former camp, because I don't think the company would have survived without him. But there is a fairly direct path of events from Kirby's buyout to them going public (at which point they were definitely on the downslope already).
>>
>>53315834
>>53315942
>>53316536
Rackham is dead, Confrontation 3rd was one of the last rulesets they produced.

Cadwallon wasn't a wargame at all, it was an RPG set in the same universe. It had rules that were superficially similar to their wargames, but it didn't replace Confrontation / Ragnarok.
>>
>>53321659
>you should watch the rest just to see that despite how bad things get, they can always become much worse. Especially the third one
A younger me probably would have done just that. Nowadays, time is too precious a commodity. I don't even have enough to watch all the really good movies I'd like to see.

I did watch one of the hobbit fan edits, though. It was fine. I think I probably still prefer the old cartoon movie. That weirdass rotoscope animation never fails to bring a smile to my face.
>>
>>53321484
1000 times this
>>
Does anybody on this board have any experience with minis manufacturing? I've been getting my custom pieces 3D printed for a while for personal use, and I do a bit of traditional sculpting as well. Been thinking for a while about making my stuff publicly available, but using my current methods there's basically 0 margins in it. The production costs of a 3D printed mini, for instance, often equal or exceed typical retail for the same model.

Not looking to make a fortune or anything, but I'd love to be able to cover my equipment/material costs at least. The most obvious path would be to use 3D printed masters to make molds for spin casting in resin or metal, but I have zero experience with that.
>>
>>53321944
I happen to know someone...look for Sebitar Workshop on Facebook and mention Tamás sent you there.
>>
File: spartan.png (48KB, 1091x671px) Image search: [Google]
spartan.png
48KB, 1091x671px
News from Spartan's kickstarter.

Oh Spartan.
>>
>>53322854
The gift that keeps on giving.
>>
>>53319003
The novel with most of the fluff is free up on the website. CMON has also done a bunch of promotional videos with groups like Beasts of War on Youtube that do a good job introducing the world.

The game is pretty simple. You take turns activating models, and each model can perform a move and an action, not locked in that order. All the rules and actions a model can take are on their card, except for 3 generic actions; sprint, interact, and assist. When you attack, you roll a number of D10's, and use a chart on the target's card to determine what happens. Most of the time, it sums up to "roll X+ to do damage", but there's a lot of stuff that changes the chart, like attack special rules that modify specific results or how magic interacts with the backlash defense. The objective is you get a number of morale points depending on how many models you take and your leaders, and you try to reduce that by either killing guys or completing objects you chose for the battle.

The complexity comes from the fact you have limited activations; once a player has activated all their models, the other player gets one more for the turn. So using leaders to group activate becomes important. On top of that, each leader has a special rule they give all the models that they group activate.

Army composition is a set number of model per side, with each rank on the model counting as a slot towards that total, so a rank 2 model counts as 2 for their category. The largest size is 5 leader slots, 24 infantry, 4 specialists, and 4 choices of either 3 infantry or 1 specialist. You nominate one leader as the commander, and each leader has a special rule that applies to the whole army. So you can take the same force and nominate one leader to play one way, nominate another to play another.

>Continued.
>>
File: Ooroth.jpg (311KB, 1695x1241px) Image search: [Google]
Ooroth.jpg
311KB, 1695x1241px
>>53323659
Hadross is a defensive army that plays a bit elitish; they only have one choice for rank 1 infantry. Their key mechanic is Resonate, which is a condition that some models can put on enemy models, while others in the army use it to their benefit. Like the Carcharian Frenzies, the sharkmen, can use the Resonate to heal themselves, or the Sevridian Gutters have an action that allows them to use it to damage the foes, and then move 3" while sucking in the damaged models into base contact with them.

Ooroth was a popular character with /tg/, since he's a jellyfishman that plays the lady's man, but constantly gets rejected by the non-fish women he hits on.
>>
>>53323675
The fact it works in wakfu rules (who you worship turns you into a furry) is a bit off-putting to me.
>>
>>53319275
it will still hold lion's share. Especially if the new models look like the primaris marines, with thier updated aesthetics.
>>
>>53322854
>herewegoagain.jpg
>>
>>53323772
As long as it isn't more ugly shit like every single AoS release.
>>
>>53323721
Eh, kinda. Goritsi is really the only one that does that with the werewolves and vampires. Nasir transform because they use masks with bound elementals that slowly influence the wearer. Hadross and the pigmen from Teknes are artificially turned that way; Hadross sees the sea as the future, so they change their people into fishmen to adapt to living underwater, the pigmen were forced into experiments that turned them into worker slaves. Shael Han's furries are elemental spirits that are summoned to help.
>>
File: EarthCaste-Ghrakun.jpg (670KB, 1055x754px) Image search: [Google]
EarthCaste-Ghrakun.jpg
670KB, 1055x754px
Goddamn, the new Dragyri Earth caste are sexy. Can't wait til the get expanded on. Ghrakun is a beast.
>>
>>53323721
>who you worship turns you into a furry
That's not really accurate, most of the non-human characters aren't that way naturally. The Hadross get transformed by their "god", but don't get to pick who/what. Most of the rest don't seem like they really worship anyone. The goritsi nobles are born as werewolves/vampires, but the gift is dormant until they feed. It's really just the Nasir that voluntarily transform when they put on the elemental masks (although a bunch of those are also irreversible once changed).
>>
>>53322644
I'll check it out, thank you.

Does anyone who casts know what material / technique hawk uses to cast its (resin) dropzone minis? I really like it a lot... reasonably flexible/light but still holds a lot of detail.
>>
>>53323675
>Ooroth was a popular character with /tg/, since he's a jellyfishman that plays the lady's man, but constantly gets rejected by the non-fish women he hits on.
Sounds like the basis for an excellent jellyfishman (JFM) sitcom.
>>
>>53319183
I'll believe it when I see it.

May buy a box of some of the new big boys though, because I will only ever need a single box to have them as a minor faction when I do my skirmish bullshit and they look ok and I'm not currently drowning in space marines.

but, like, a discounted box.

and some more kroot and grot scuttlings, I love those fucking ugly things.
>>
>>53321659
Outside the context of the film, that actually looks pretty cool like one of the weird bits out of some mythologies.

flying rabbit sled, weird old man who is probably a god or something, rad.
>>
>>53325017
>grot scuttlings

I like them too, even though a lot of people weren't thrilled with them.

I love weird goblin shit, if only Kev Adams had sculpted them.
>>
>>53324495
Damn it, just when I was investing in shadow cast models. Dark Age continues to put out top tier designs.
>>
Is anyone going to be trying out the Kings of War global campaign? I for one like the Abdul Alhazred type guy, and am glad to see them adding new heroes to each faction, especially ones that didn't have any unique ones beforehand.
>>
>>53325221
Luckily, Ghrakun is 150 pts, so he fits into the Grand Arbiter Commands limit.

Seriously, though. Ghrakun ignores crit armor fails, has a 50% chance of ignoring a point of damage from any attacks that hits him, and can be given a psychogenic that makes him immune to knockback and knockdown.
>>
>>53325102
They're pretty cheap on ebay. They were super-cheap when they first came out though, that's when I bought a ton of them. Currently based individually, but I'm considering switching to 120mm x 60mm bases for all my stuff, and they should look great en masse, maybe with a few other things mixed in.
>>
>>53325017
>>53325102
I ebayed a pile of scuttlings for skirmisher purposes. I feel it.
>>
>>53325503
Yeah, they were pretty good. I also dug the weird mutie goblins they made for the hobbit goblintown set. I got a pack of them to use as bases for trolls / chaos mutants / etc in warmaster. Worked great.
>>
>>53248290
Yeah, I like these guys.
>>
>>53321484

Iktfb, unfortunately the golden age of bargain eBay finds is over too
>>
>>53327794
At this point $40 for 24 orcs is sadly cheaper than than GW's stock.
Do Chinese recasters do some of this stuff? I want Bhurdur.
>>
>>53327962
>$40 for 24 orcs
m8, just hit up FB trade groups. Tons of cheapo LotR stuff there, I got whatever I need from there. Scored like 200 models with some rare metals like Fountain Guard and Rivendell Spearmen for like 100$.

>Bhurdur
You could get a standard Moria troll, make a small hood for it, replace his weapon, and you're set. The original model's nice tho.
>>
>>53328050
I need that mass of pewter, only hoods I make are for moria prowlers.
>>
>>53328122
Get the metal one then, with the club raised above his head. Would make an awesome mini with his weapon replaced with a sword desu. It's the only cave troll I'm missing.
>>
>>53327962
>Do Chinese recasters do some of this stuff? I want Bhurdur.
They do shockingly little of it, but the more recent models are covered.
>>
File: DWRE51-2.jpg (213KB, 900x636px) Image search: [Google]
DWRE51-2.jpg
213KB, 900x636px
New DW models up for pre-order. Not bad, despite all the failure around them.
>>
>>53328847
What the fuck is that flag
>>
File: croissant-5-forweb.jpg (117KB, 1072x720px) Image search: [Google]
croissant-5-forweb.jpg
117KB, 1072x720px
>>53328920
Crossaint moon, duh.
>>
>>53328969
Why is it zebra print?
>>
>>53329007
It's the folds in the pastry, innit?
>>
>>53329129
Pastry is outlawed in Egypt, it's probably haram or something.

Yet more examples of Spartan's alien-space-bats approach to their so called alternate-'history'
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 51

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.