[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backseat GM, what do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Help wanted.jpg (20KB, 338x264px) Image search: [Google]
Help wanted.jpg
20KB, 338x264px
So, I've got a bit of a problem player. He's always chiming in with setting details, and in the sort of game where we're running things more "classically", the GM writes the setting. I'm not talking things like character background, stuff related to them either, I'm talking big, big things like

>Setting is very deliberately ambiguous as to whether or not Gods exist, and if "divine" magic is really that different from "arcane" magic.
>lol, there are divination spells. Divination means contacting a divine, so there are clearly gods and they're just hiding for some reason.

>Players meet local baron requesting help with regular military forces for ongoing giant bug problem.
>He seems interested, but also evasive about actually promising support for their endeavors, not clear why.
>lol, he is really fighting a secret war against [particular church] and his forces are too tied down with that to actually deal with the bugs.

>local sherrif is really, really, really in character racist where dwarves are concerned. No dwarves in the party so it doesn't directly affect them, but it's blatant and very much compromises his ability to actually get things done, which is why the PCs need to be called in.
>lol, he's just that way because he used to be a blacksmith and dwarves drove him out of business which is why he had to be in law enforcement.

There are other examples, but I'm sure you guys get the drift. He'll just randomly spout shit, and then I have to very clearly say that no, things are not working like that, and remind him to not just make stupid crap up, which he ignores. He's a good player otherwise though, I'd rather not boot him, but I really have no idea what he's on about or how to get him to stop, the one time I asked him post-game about it, he just kind of shrugged and went "I don't really see why it's a problem.", apparently not getting that I don't want random stuff thrown into the game setting that I then have to work around. Anyone have any advice?
>>
Just make it real clear that he's wrong when you reveal stuff. He'll eventually quiet a bit if he knows he might be wrong.

Unless he's a real dumb fucker. Then just talk to him about it.

Or just talk to him about it first.
>>
>>53219999
I've already attempted to talk with him about it. He doesn't seem to grasp that it's a problem, and I think (not 100% certain here) that he views it as helping me with the creative burden by making up shit.
>>
>>53219999
Should probably clarify: force your point across. Make it known that it's a real issue. If he shrugs again then you may want to consider kicking him if he's that much of a dick
>>
>>53220016
Well be straightforward with him and tell him you're really not into it.

Alternative is to play something like FATE or the star wars systems where players are mechanically encouraged to participate in the GMing process, sounds like it would work well with him as a player.
>>
>>53220016
tell him that you appreciate him wanting to help out, but that he can't just drop stuff in in whenever he feels like him. Tell him to give you notes about what he wants to bring in so that you can properly incorporate it into the setting. Then it's up to you if you actually incorporate anything at all
>>
If a player makes an incorrect assumption about information you've given them, you're not obliged to correct them.

Let them continue to believe what they want, just don't treat it as fact. It'll come back to bite them on the arse eventually.

That player could have wasted a lot of time & money trying to help the sheriff rebuild his business, only for him turn around and say he's never touched a hammer in his life and hates dwarves because they're a bunch of shortarsed, bad-tempered, money-grubbing bastards, who would sell you the time of day.
>>
Next time he does it, very politely tell him to stop.
>He does it again
This time you warn him that you'll beat the shit out of him if he does it again
>lol, calm down
>does it again
Get up and kick the ever loving shit out of him. I mean a brutal beat down the likes of which his father never gave him but should have.
I promise you he'll never do it again
>>
>>53220185
you sound like a real badass
>>
>>53219648
I'm not really sure I see the problem. He's making assumptions and stating them as fact. He can talk all he likes, it doesn't make him any less wrong.
>>
>>53220354
This
I mean it would be better if he was making these guesses semi-in-character. maybe you could nudge him towards this, suggesting it's something his character might assume or comment on. but either way I don't see the harm
If nothing else, it means he has interest in what the GM is saying and the world, which seems like a good sign to me. when I hear the phrase "backseat GMing" I think of something akin to rules lawyering, which in my view is much worse
>>
>>53219648
To me, it just sounds like he's making wild speculations unless he's specifically telling you that you should use his suggestions. I mean, if bandits are popping up around town, like magic and I say, "They must be using tunnels!" I'm not expecting the GM to make tunnels. I'm just making a guess.

And I hate to be that guy, but is your stuff that much more compelling than the ideas he's tossing out? Did the sheriff actually have a reason to be that racist or did you leave that out? He doesn't sound shitty enough to be trying to take away your creative control, but if the ideas he's throwing out are better than what you're thinking up, you should think about that and whether you're over-reacting and why.
>>
File: 1251936740644.jpg (9KB, 238x251px) Image search: [Google]
1251936740644.jpg
9KB, 238x251px
It sounds like he's just used to playing the systems that encourage players to create their own "drama" as the game goes on. Believe it or not there ARE systems that encourage such shittery.

Tell him you're the GM, not the Storyteller, and he's playing a character, not setting the scene like it's gonna get him some bennies.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.