[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 425
Thread images: 33

File: Neeshka.jpg (96KB, 700x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Neeshka.jpg
96KB, 700x1000px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Revised Subclasses:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/6a608a27c7c9

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/...
>>53208872

Do sword and board fighters suck? Especially compared to two-handed GWM fighters. Since you get so many ASIs as a fighter, not picking up GWM if you fight two-handed is impossible.
>>
>>53218508
I am going to run tomb of horrors what is a cool initial place?

also how many and which level should players be?
>>
>>53218508
Sword and board fighters are great. That +2 AC is nothing to sneer at, and their damage with Dueling is comparable to heavy weapon damage without feats. And with feats, Shield Master means that you've got an active use of a bonus action every round with great control (and since you can do it before your attacks, having advantage against your target ups your average damage as well).
>>
Speaking of feats, is Flail Mastery a good one? I can't imagine a PC ever fighting a lot of enemies with shields, but attacks of opportunity seem pretty nice.
>>
One of the founding members of the Great Alliance has been slain by a powerful wizard from a now-rival empire. As the leader of one of the Great Alliance's most famous adventuring parties, how do you respond?
>>
>>53218722
Demand 3 actions, wereguild, an apology and the head of the wizard from the empire.
Not doing so invites all out war.
>>
Carrying on from the last thread, does there exist an Artificer homebrew that isn't complete ass?
>>
>>53218508

Playing a game where we all get free feat at lvl 1.
All UA allowed but no UA multiclassing.

Thinking of 2 character concepts.

Stone Sorcerrer STR based GISH.

Monk skill monkey with arcana, herbalism and medicine proficiency.

Tell me what Race/Feat combo i should use.
>>
>>53218858
The original asker here. Does the gunsmith class I've heard that Mercer made count? Or is it only a gunslinger? And why does he have such a hateful following? I know nothing about apart from that he does a stream of his game and some voice acting or something.
>>
>>53218926
Na, Mercer's Gunslinger is very much just a gunslinger. I think he gets hate just because he plays the game very loose, doesn't bother with certain mechanics if he just feels they're unwieldy or get in the way of the flow of the game. I see a lot of "he's just a voice actors trying to jump on a trend!" business. I personally don't understand it.
>>
>>53218722
Resurrect the wizard and send the rival nation a harshly worded letter to cut that shit out.
>>
>>53218508
I didn't think Neeshka was that busty?
>>
Making a half-orc druid for an upcoming module we're going to play.

I'm sort of leaning towards Circle of Dreams, but unsure.
I'm mainly going to be a support caster with some nukes/heals if needed. Figured Dreams would be a nice match since the lvl 10 teleport ability is pretty damn good and has some nice offhealing.

Anyone got any other ideas?
Game is going up to like 15 or so, starting at lvl 1.
>>
>>53219006
Padded armor.
>>
>>53218885
Not the second. Never the second.
>>
>>53219073
>nukes
Do the NUCLEAR DRUID
>>
>>53219334
Why not?
The ''Skilled'' feat adds nice utility.
>>
>>53219361
Nice utility backed by this 8-10 INT stat. A wizard without proficiency will be just as good as you.
Skilled is shit, and it's even worse on a stat hungry class like Monk.
>>
For the triton race is there a scale for how fish-like you can make a character like the yuan-ti? As a DM would you allow a player to make a full-on fishface?
>>
>>53219413
Should i stick to the ''Healer'' feat then?
>>
So due to character deaths, betrayals, and new players, I have the only original PC in my group. We've all started playing the game together a year ago but everyone knows how to build characters correctly now and it definitely shows while mine is lacking. I picked a non variant human and went vengeance Paladin. Obviously i should have gone variant so I could get GWM at the start and with my second feat being something else.

My point being is it within reason that I bring up my idea that i should 'redo' my PC since everyone else has had the chance up to the group or just deal with it
>>
>>53219527
Deal with it and wait until you die or whatever
>>
>>53219482
If you want a healing monk, go with the Tranquility one from UA.

>>53219527
Just ask to change to Variant Human. Being the last from the original group has nice roleplaying opportunities.
>>
>>53218508
>Sword and board fighters

I mean, really, just go sword and board barbarogue instead.

No matter what you probably want rogue because
1. You want athletics expertise to use with shield master (Come on, you're going to be shit without any feats)
2. You get extra damage beyond extra attack (2)
>>
>>53219352
My DM knows what the nuclear druid is.

And out of pure principle, I am not doing it.
>>
>>53219667
Well, I mean, I guess you don't need shield master if you multiclass into rogue because you then get cunning action.

But that's just another reason to multiclass into rogue.
>>
>>53218508
How about sword and board classes can opt for a feat like PAM where on a bonus action can shield slam a target with range for 1d4 + modifier
>>
>>53218858
Not that I know of.

You could possibly make a "College of Alchemy/Artifice" as a Bard archetype. Keeps them focused on skills, they'd get access to some higher level spells.
>>
>>53219334
This

Unless your DM has buffed you in some way, monk's only options should be:
+2 dex
Mobile
+2 wis
+1 wis/dex/con +1 wis/dex/con

I mean, if you don't like it, it's fine to ask if your DM might allow you some extra flavour buffs or something.
But if you do otherwise you're really jeopordizing your role.

I probably sound 'No fun allowed' and 'munchkinning' but again, unless your DM facilitates it, I've seen many a monk become dissatisfied with their character once they learn that monk is very punishing if you don't follow optimal guidelines.
>>
>>53219742
But there's already a specialization feat for shields, and it's quite good.

One-handed weapons need something similar, maybe separated by family.
>>
>>53218976
The problem with that is they were playing in there own home for a couple years. They ported from 3.5 to 5e probably because Felicia Day asked them to because Mercer is a known name.
>>
>>53219774
Then i'll just make a Wood Elf Open Hand monk with the Perception skill feat.
>>
>>53219812
Is Felicia day in the group? If so, a reason I'll never listen to it, can't stand her
>>
>>53219863
She's made an appearance every so often, as a guest, but is not a regular player
>>
>>53219844
I mean... I guess. That's pretty much fine, it's +1 wisdom and you can't really argue about perception on a class that has good wisdom (whereas a rogue or bard rarely has quite as good a wisdom), so that sounds like a good idea.
>>
>>53219863
>>53219945
All they need to do is include will wheaton and add the big bang theory laugh track and I'll never stop vomiting
>>
Threads looking kind of dead here /5eg/, lets get something going.

Give me one reason a dwarf would ever like an elf or visa versa
>>
>>53220043
Fetishism of a taboo
>>
>>53218885
>stone sorcerer that relies on STR
>using anything but Earth Genasi
>>
>>53220043
The elf makes a stronger alcohol than some dwarves.
>>
>>53220043
The elf is a genetic freak and has grown a huge beard.
>>
What the best way to be a jack of all trade, friend to everyone?
>>
>>53220092
Gotta go fire gensai so that you can use con for both AC and attacks.

What are you talking about it's not garbage.
>>
>>53220249
Bard???????????????????????????????????
>>
>>53220249
4lv+ Half Elf Bard. You'll have the Jack of All Trades feature and can take the Everybody's Friend feat.
>>
How would you go about building a pyromancer in 5e? The more creative, the better. I'm currently thinking of going Land Druid.
>>
>>53219863
She shows up for about one of the hundred eppies out there
>>
>>53220383
How is land druid good for that?

Also just to get the obvious answers out of the way:
light cleric
red dragon sorcerer
pyromancer sorcerer
>>
>>53220383
What about the actual fucking Pyromancer sorcerer subclass?
The creative option is fast hands torch rogue for that arsonist feel.
>>
>>53220431
>>53220459
I thought that would be a bit too direct, but maybe I will just go sorceror.
>>
What's the best Rogue Subclass? The worst?
>>
Longtime oldfag, mostly been inactive all these years.
Thanks for hosting the rulebooks. I might get back into dnd again. I really like 5e.
It slims down a lot of the rules, at least on the player side. I've downloaded the dmg at my home pc and I'm gonna read it tonight after work. I really want to get my old group together to play again.
>>
>>53220523
Pennis and also dicke and balls
>>
>>53220523
Welcome back! Read the PHB first.
>>
Any word on that mechanical expansion? Cause after 2 years 5e is getting a little bit stale. When it first came out the lifghter mechnaics are nice, but looking at it now it really doesn't offer anything really unique outside of that.
>>
>>53220682
What do you mean by "mechanical expansion"? I don't think they're going to be adding a lot of rules or anything. Unless I'm wrong?
>>
Heya guys, starting to plan a wrestle dude character for an AL game. I was thinking a Barbarian/Monk multiclass with the Grappler and Tavern Brawler feats. Any thoughts?
>>
>>53220716
For a while Mearls has been talking about adding "A Major Mechanical Expansion" though due to 5es non existent release schedule we kind of know fuck all when its happening.
>>
>>53220383
No matter what class you go with, don't fall into the trap that most aspiring fire mages fall into: trying to take nothing but fire spells. It's really unnecessary, as too many damage spells quickly become redundant. You need Fireball, and you need some kind of damage cantrip like Firebolt. Everything else is not very important. Take good utility spells before thinking of broadening your suite of damage spells. You're likely to be grateful you took Polymorph instead of Wall of Fire or Invisibility instead of Scorching Rays.
>>
>>53220606
L-lewd
>>53220674
I've been reading the phb at work. It's a slow day. I really like the rules for ski checks, contests, and grappling isn't a clusterfuck designed by someone who likes wrestling, but never wrestled.
I'm really liking it.
>>
>>53219863
She owns geek and sundry from my understanding.
>>
File: 1494705252152[1].jpg (83KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1494705252152[1].jpg
83KB, 400x300px
>When you hit Wisdom 20
>>
>>53220752
Monk has no synergy with barbarian or Tavern Brawler. Take a class (or a feat if your DM allows those skill feats) that gives you expertise in Athletics. After you have that you can take anything, but you don't need more than one class that grants unarmored defense.
>>
>>53220781
More like
>when you hit 20 WIS but still at 8 INT
>>
File: Cure for disorders.png (260KB, 483x368px) Image search: [Google]
Cure for disorders.png
260KB, 483x368px
>>53220781
>When you learn Greater Restoration
>>
File: ConfusedQara.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
ConfusedQara.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>>53220761
>You're likely to be grateful you took Polymorph instead of Wall of Fire or Invisibility instead of Scorching Rays.
I don't follow
>>
>>53220776

Don't bother anon. The game is mainstream now and numale PCs are rolling gay and trannie characters and sucking eachothers cock in game.
>>
>>53220716
With the way some autist screech about it I would not doubt an shit ton of extra rules so they can navigate the littlest of interaction.
>>
>>53220776
>Ski checks
Man, I must have missed those. I've just been having my players roll athletics when they try to ski. :^)

>>53220792
They should never have made Tavern Brawler. Los Tiburon is a fucking meme that needs to die.
>>
>>53220792
You know, yeah, you're right now that I think about it. Maybe raw Barbarian and Tavern Brawler, play a Heel. Take Entertainer/Gladiator as a background to get a costume and a chair as a weapon, stat it as a club.
>>
>>53219812
From what i understand, or at least HOPE is that Mercer does a lot of ruling off the cuff because, by this point crit role is more story then anything, and the rules could interfere at times. IE he plays it much more rules light then he used too
>>
How much AC and HP to you need to be a melee fighter? If you have more of one is is safe to have less of the other?
>>
>>53220792
I just realized that Path of the Totem Barbarians can fly their walking speed at level 14. Instant Piledrivers and Suplexes.
>>
>>53220876
Yeah he only brings rules up in certain instances like scrying, I've noticed it more and more the rule of cool is how they play.
>>
>>53220905
>How much AC and HP to you need to be a melee fighter
On which level?
>>
>>53220905
21 AC
284 HP
>>
What are some unusual, fresh character concepts? I feel like I've played everything there is and I'm out of new ideas
>>
>>53220809

Int doesn't work that way. Int would be having the arcane knowledge to realize the copper from those pennies and the life-matter of countless foreskins can be used in the creation of the strongest form of Epic Golem, invented by the reptilians in ancient times.
>>
>>53221026

half-orc rogue with an 8 dex
>>
>>53220837

That's pathfinder.
>>
>>53220976
I was rather hoping there'd be a rough formula.
>>
>>53221063
>8-dex rogue
If 8-charisma-sorcerer-anon is here, I'd like him to justify it.
>>
>>53220837
t. Riggered
>>
>>53221117
Well at level 1 you probably want around 16 AC, and HP should try to be 11 or 12
>>
>>53221026
A paladin, who's not your "knight in plate" stereotype. Maybe he uses a rapier and fights like your average swashbuckler! Or maybe it's a desert paladin, who looks the part!
>>
>>53221117
It's 10 CHA favored soul
Still have 8 INT wizards tho'
>>
>>53218508
DM is letting me buy a full sized triceratops to use as my mount. Any ideas for ways to make it more badass. Already going to put armored plates on it. Maybe platforms to use it like a war elephant?
>>
>>53221252
Coat the horns in metal, and tip with barbs
>>
>>53219144
Padded armor would press your breasts down, not out.
>>
>>53221294
Shaped padding, like a wonder bra. Extra protection for the organs
>>
>>53219791
>One-handed weapons need something similar
I firmly believe that feat was supposed to be grappler, but grappler sucks. What can grappler get to not suck? Does grappler not actually suck?
>>
>>53218558
>I am going to run tomb of horrors what is a cool initial place?

What do you mean?

>also how many and which level should players be?

At least 4 players, and 5e recommends "high" level, so say around 12 or so.
>>
>>53221334

Aha, show off the girls while protecting them. I like it!
>>
>>53221502
One fix I saw from a DM is that you replace the useless last features with

>When you use an attack to successfully grapple a creature you may make an attack against a creature you have grappled as a bonus action
>>
>>53221131
I (hope) he means strength rogue. Multi class with barbarian optional. Grapple everything, grab shield master, smack shit to the ground and sneak attack to the groin. It's quite a fun and effective build.
>>
>>53221647
You do need to be either Dwarf for medium armor, or start a level in fighter/barb for armor proficiency. 8 Dex is also very low, I would take 14, which also means you get max armor from medium
>>
>>53220925
T. Hawk is an Eagle Barbarian. Who would have guessed?
>>
>>53221117
I feel like you need to be aware that the character who can take more than a third of the damage in a 3 person party isn't going to hold up to more than a third of the damage in a 6 person party, and no one can hold up to all of the damage in most parties.

To be a tank, you need to keep some of the enemies from being able to all gang up on one choice target, and not be that one choice target yourself. So how much AC and HP do you need? More than your other guys.
>>
>>53221502
Seems weird that feat for a fighting style wouldn't actually do anything with the weapon
>>
File: 1383482465378.jpg (44KB, 512x408px) Image search: [Google]
1383482465378.jpg
44KB, 512x408px
>>53218508
need Heartkiller's Horn for the mega trove, we ran it and got fucking stomped, half of us died and were unrecoverable and the mission failed
>>
Do your character carry an instrument, such as the horn, to signal something?
>>
I know asking daytime /tg/ is like asking for cringe and shitposting, but...

...Are Champions actually good? I remember when 5e first came out they were treated as a joke.
>>
>>53221867
Sort of. Our DM gave me a harmonica that only plays at thaumaturgy levels of loud.
>>
>>53218633
The downside is how silly it feels to do the same thing every single turn. Bash -> Attack, Bash -> Attack, Bash -> Attack...

Every fight turns into some slapstick episode where people constantly fall down, get up, then fall down again.
>>
>>53221885
Champions are fine if you are the sort of person that just wants to hit stuff and aren't really that interested in the combat side of the game.
>>
>>53221825
Well, by default the fighting style feats are for fighters. So why is a fighter going to use a one-handed shield and nothing in the other hand? They have shield proficiency, after all. The only consistent reason I can think of is to grapple an enemy.

Sure, you can grapple two enemies and attack them for 1+str with advantage, but it seems more practical to grapple just one and use your 1d8+2+str from dueling FS with advantage. I think changing the worthless point to "you can grapple creatures even if they are two or more sizes larger than you" would be fantastic (in a literal sense), though the size limit is the same faced by shield master, and climbing on a bigger creature serves a similar purpose for the larger enemies, if you use that option.
>>
>>53221885
They're the most simple option, I think that's the nice way to out it.
>>
>>53221885
>actually good
They're alright. They could be better without breaking anything. They suffer a lot from having a bad level 3 feature and people mock the level 7 feature, but that one's better than Know Your Enemy anyway. Once all the fighter features come together, they're alright. Before that, you might as well have no subclass though.
>>
>>53221885
They're better then people treat them. Level 3 isn't great, their level 7's good by Fighter standards, their level 10 is at least +1 AC and 18 is one of the better abilities in the game.

The issue is a lack of choice in their actions.

If you DM allows environmental stuff and let's people try actions not listed in the PHB then Champion can be much more interesting but without that they're solid good damage dealers anyway. They work well with Shield Master for Advantage.
>>
>>53221026
FUCKING NINJA BABY
LIVE ALL OF YOUR WEEB FANTASIES
6 Shadow Monk for that teleportation and darkness casting bullshit
2 warlock (hexblade for the curse, because critting at 19 and doing your proficiency bonus in extra damage is delicious when you have 4 attacks per round)
Pick devil's sight as invocation, spend 2 ki to cast darkness on a piece of clothing, you can now see in your 15 foot bubble of edge and darkness and can use that darkness to teleport to any fucking poorly lit spot within 60 ft.

Also, motherfuckers can't see shit and suffer disadvantage while you gain advantage in the darkness.
>>
>>53221911
>in a party with two Battlemasters
>one is Shield Master and the other is Tavern Brawler
>both have Pushing Attack, Disarming, and Menacing; TB has Trip Attack, too
martial CC stronk
>>
>>53221931
>>53221948
>>53221983

Should I maybe go with Samurai or Knight instead?
>>
>>53221943
I should mention the other option is giving the feat a strong benefit like
"As a reaction, you can interpose a creature you have grappled in front of an attack that targets you, (something)" and give 3/4 cover, or just make the attack target them, or make them take half the damage from an attack that hits you, etc.
>>
File: losttothedarkness.png (636KB, 723x669px) Image search: [Google]
losttothedarkness.png
636KB, 723x669px
>>53221993
>>
>>53222004
Knight's better then people treat it. It has a real way to control the battlefield without using resources all day long with it's mark.

If you want to be an actual Tank, then Knight's probably the best option.

Samurai's basically a Mini-Barbarian.
>>
>>53219461
I am playing as this guy, specced to Triton stats.

Zunis Deepfin, Barbarian Gladiator and Ocean Druid, who has low everything but STR and CON and travels with a Kobold Sorcerer who wants to be a Paladin, Taklak.
>>
>>53221943
Well, by default the fighting style feats are for fighters.
?
>>
How would one become a cleric of Erevan Ilesere, the elven god of mischief?
>>
>>53222061
They ain't for wizards. Fighters get more ASI than others, have less use for ability scores than rangers and paladins, and those three are the only ones that get fighting styles.

They could be for rogues, and some of the more general feats are definitely for everyone, but a lot of the feats clearly show signs of having specifically the fighter class in mind.
>>
>>53220092
>not wanting to be a mountain dwarf stone sorcerer
>>
Why are Hexblades such a joke?

>muh curse
>muh weapon spirrut I'm not even wielding
>no extra attacks
>implied third-tier sluts to the Raven Queen.
>>
Is the dual wielding feat worth it on a ranger?

I have a DM who likes to run hard campaigns, (Magic characters are weakened, Gold is harder to get, Monsters do more damage, ).

They needed someone who can do some damage at range to fill out the party so I made a Ranger.

I was thinking he might do some ball busting and send monsters my way to tie me up in melee, so i took the dual wielding feat but I don;t really know if its worth taking it over the ability point modifier.
>>
>>53220043
They've had to move beyond the standard prejudices because an interplanar invader and now 300 years later the elf and dwarf are the only members of their group left so they hang out and talk shit, occasionally going to the arena to insult younger adventurers from up on their box seats.
>>
>>53220837
>numale PCs are rolling gay and trannie characters and sucking eachothers cock in game.

Doesn't this mean that now's as good a time as ever to roll a Chad and utterly dominate the roleplay?

I mean let's think about it, when everyone's a sheep you're going to be getting some very fat wolves.
>>
>>53222211
It always felt lame that they flavoured it as a weapon spirit instead of as the spirit of some legendary smith, living eternally by the power of the blood shed by the weapons he forged
>>
Classes should be allowed to multiclass with themselves, so you could take divergent archetypes from the same overall class. You could be a battlemaster eldritch knight.
Is this a good idea?
>>
File: wallbuilding.png (297KB, 1133x1277px) Image search: [Google]
wallbuilding.png
297KB, 1133x1277px
>>53222202
Is it time?
>>
>>53222211
You seem to have forgotten to take your trip off friend.
>>
>>53222217
It isn't even worth it as a dedicated figthing style. If you want a backup melee option it's worth less. Just take something that gives you more AC directly, like +2 Dex or Medium Armor Mastery. You can draw a rapier when you need to attack in melee and put it away again when you're safe.
>>
>>53222233
Fucking terrible. If you want to be a magic Battlemaster multiclass into Wizard.
>>
File: Merchant_re4[1].jpg (68KB, 679x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Merchant_re4[1].jpg
68KB, 679x1024px
How do you DMs do magic item shops/pricing? I know the DMG says magic items are relatively rare but the one thing my players absolutely demand is access to magic item shops, even if the selection isn't that great. Of course I also balance this out by giving their enemies magic items sometimes, which retain most of their power but are unsellable because they're in such battered condition.

So far I've just been going off the DMG suggested price ranges for item rarity, and assigning prices to each item somewhat arbitrarily (e.g. magic gloves are probably going to be worth more than a potion in the same tier). Every tenday they can visit the shop for a new inventory of four items, rolled randomly off the magic item table.

Any suggestions, ideas, or experience with doing stuff like this?
>>
>>53222378
Magic item auctions. And the the items are pretty fucking expensive at that. The items should be hard to get, and special once they find them.
>>
>>53222046

But Barbarian is worse than Fighter, so is Samurai just...a worse version of a class worse than Fighter?
>>
Man, the Kobold playable race kind of sucks ass.
>>
>>53222376
Terrible in what way? Too fucking op? Wouldn't make sense mechanically? What.
>>
>>53222499
>But Barbarian is worse than Fighter
Can you show me any proof for that?

>>53222515
It's not too bad if you can relyably have an ally near someone. Familiars, Animal Companions and etc.

>>53222526
Well what are you going to do? The idea's pretty stupid and could easily lead to OP combos but mechanically it makes no sense.
>>
>>53222248

Thank you for reminding me. I like the idea behind Hexblades, but the execution is just...so lackluster and the Raven Queen sounds like some landwhale's self-insert.
>>
>>53222546
On the bright side it's the easiest to refluff Pact ever. "Weapon" is basically the only requirement which is pretty diverse.
>>
>>53222538
Hmm, maybe it'd be fun to be a Kobold dex-fighter then.
>>
>>53222592
I'm playing a Kobold Sharpshooter. I took Magic Initiate for a familiar to use when I'm stuck in sunlight with nothing to negate disadvantage which is handy.
>>
>>53222238
Did he make the Orcs pay for it?
>>
>>53222217
Unless your character is 100% dedicated to dual wielding, it's rarely worth putting resources into it. Unless you're using the feat as much as possible, it won't be worth the ASI. Take the +2, as I'm sure you took Archery as a fighting style.

Dual Wielder feat is only really worth it if you've got the two weapon fighting style.
>>
>>53222538
The action surges extra attacks and shit probably won't stack, it'll give added versatility.
>>
>>53222232
Cool, so that's gonna be the patron for the Hexblade I'm making, thanks anon.
>>
>>53222647
...The amount of class abilities that just can't stack make this awful. Most classes won't get anything except subclass abilities for 5 levels.

Is this a particular character you want to make, something a player's asked for or just a random idea?
>>
File: tricks.png (44KB, 552x323px) Image search: [Google]
tricks.png
44KB, 552x323px
How much control over a Bag of Tricks animal does a player have? The spell says you can "command what action it takes, or give it general orders, such as to attack your enemies." One of my players is trying to give these autistical commands, like he'll summon a rat and say, "Sneak into the next room, take a look, come back and squeak twice if there are enemies in there." That has to be beyon the comprehension of a pet rat, even if it's magically summoned through an item right?
>>
>>53222679
Just a random idea, I'm not attached to it. Just throwing ideas out there.

So there needs to be way for the abilities to stack but can't overpower too much.
>>
>>53222563
>How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.hexblade
Weapon is a really broad term.
>>
>>53222227

You're right; that's why I mentioned earlier that a proper Paladin should be smiting these for being degenerate and the cucks in this thread said I was triggered
>>
Does the natural armour and unarmoured defence from Barbarian/monk stack?
>>
File: 275px-Silithid_Wasp (1).png (61KB, 275x316px) Image search: [Google]
275px-Silithid_Wasp (1).png
61KB, 275x316px
Hello /5eg/, I know nothing about making balanced creatures for 5e. Does this seem like it's good for CR2?

Giant Wasp
Large Beast, Neutral
AC 15 (Natural Armor)
HP 42 (5d12+10)
16, 17, 13, 8, 14, 10
speed 20 ft, fly 60 ft (hover)

Skills- Perception +4
Senses passive Perception 14, Blindsight 30 ft
Languages- Giant Wasp, understands Common but can't speak
Challenge 2 (450 XP)

Spider Climb- the Giant Wasp can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.

Actions
Multiattack- The Giant Wasp makes three attacks: two with it's claws and one with its stinger.
Claw- Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) slashing damage.
Stinger- Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) piercing damage.

Fold Wings- as an action, the Giant Wasp can fold it's wings to squeeze into smaller passages, allowing it to move through passages small enough for a Medium creature at full speed. Doing so removes the Giant Wasp's fly speed until it uses an action to unfold it's wings again.

>>53222777
no
>>
>>53222777
No, you can only use one way of calculating armor
One way
So you choose the natural armour or you choose the unarmored defence.
>>
>>53222695
I believe it's the same as Conjured Animals. Anyway, "Common" is beyond the comprehension of a pet rat. It's all magical. I don't think that specific command is either general or specific to its next action, so I wouldn't allow it either.
>>
>>53222799
That is straight up retarded, but I guess it makes sense balance-wise.
>>
>>53222841

It's not retarded at all. Why should your AC be like 24 just because of meme multi
>>
>>53222563
>>53222760
>A Weapon to Surpass Metal Gear Hexblade
>>
>>53222841
>that is straight up retarded
fuck off nigger
Might as well make a warforged monk barbarian bladesinger dragon sorcerer for 10+DEX+10+DEX+WIS+10+DEX+CON+10+DEX+INT+13+DEX+1 you monkey
You might enjoy 3.5 better.
>>
>>53222791
Giant... you aint wrong.
Still, I'd probably make it a medium sized creature unless this thing is supposed to be a fucking monster. Thinking about how many sizes larger this thing is than a regular wasp.

I think it's a little silly it takes a full action for it to put its wings away. Also, size categories are just an abstraction of how much the room the creature takes up in combat. That is, the area it threatens. A large creature could still very possibly fit in a door that's only a few feet wide.

I'd probably give the stinger a chance to poison and reduce the damage of its claw attacks.
>>
>>53222227

They'll just ignore you.
>>
Best way to build a character focused on Daggers? Bonus points for a character who can do weeaboo shit.
>>
>>53222791
I think it's good, higher offensive than defensive power. Test it out a bit and tell us how it goes.
Might change the Fold Wings to a Bonus Action, to keep the flow.
>>53222916
The feature is probably to avoid squeezing, which makes you have disadvantage on stuff and attackers having advantage against you while you're in tight spaces.
>>
>>53222896
>>53222914
I just said it made sense for balance purposes you fucking idiots. Christ, /5eg/ is a special kind of autistic.
>>
>>53222962
Shadow Monk 6/8 -> Rogue (Assassin)
>>
>If the wolves are goaded by enemies beyond their reach, they are driven into a frenzy that allows them to yank the iron rod securing their chains out of the floor. Each round that any character remains in sight,
Is this out of combat to? Obviously not in real life time in most cases, but to count in game time in rounds?
>>
File: knife.png (2MB, 646x1696px) Image search: [Google]
knife.png
2MB, 646x1696px
>>53222993
And I'm telling you that it ain't retarded fluffwise as well.

>>53222962
Way of the knife asshole, pic related.
>>
>>53222951
They'll just ignore the fucking white male that's taken on the mantle of party face?
>>
So, I plan on playing an air genasi bard/wild magic sorcerer (a result of him being half genie and having a shitty grip on his abilities).

What would be a good background?
It's for a very non-serious campaign, so I'm thinking part of his backstory is he's an illegitimate child as a result of a wish-gone-bad scenario. Man has a barren wife, he wishes she would get pregnant. And the genie took it upon himself to grant that wish. Or so the story goes...Not sure what should happen to the mother and man who made the wish.
I could go dark... but I'd prefer it be light hearted.

Anyway, picked bard as well because air genasi has unending breath and I like the idea of him being able to hold a note on the trumpet for a long damn time.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>53222791
Make it medium. Why the fuck is it Int 8?
Give it a parasitize ability.

As always compare it to what a cr 2 can do in the books.
>>
2 Twig Blights and a Dryad for a first level part. Can they beat it?
>>
>>53222984
Still can't see a reason why it should need an action to do so.
It's homebrew after all. Just tell your players that it has no problem fitting in the space.
>>
>>53218858
You may like this one
http://www.eberron5e.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Class-Artificer-Full-Class-v3.4.pdf
>>
>>53223076
How big is the party?
Keep in mind, a single crit can cause a tpk at first level.
>>
>>53223097
4 Players, looking at the stats I might split it into 2 fights for what I had in mind.

4 Twig Blights ambush them on the road and when they get past they find a Dryad that's been nailed to a tree and is still alive but in terrible pain. If they remove the nails to free her she goes berserk and tries to kill anything in sight.
>>
>>53222916
Yeah it's essentially a Medium creature (Still fuckhuge for a wasp) but needs a lot of space to spread it's wings, hence Fold Wings. It might be better to change Fold Wings to a Bonus Action or make it take half it's speed for that turn.

Also I updated some shit with it to be more in line with existing stuff

Giant Wasp
Large Beast, Neutral
AC 15 (Natural Armor)
HP 46 (7d10+7)
16, 17, 13, 8, 14, 10
speed 20 ft, fly 60 ft (hover)

Skills- Perception +4
Senses passive Perception 14, Blindsight 30 ft
Languages- Giant Wasp, understands Common but can't speak
Challenge 2 (450 XP)

Spider Climb- the Giant Wasp can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.

Actions
Multiattack- The Giant Wasp makes three attacks: two with it's claws and one with its stinger.
Claw- Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) slashing damage.
Stinger- Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d6 + 3) piercing damage, 3 (1d6) Poison damage.

Fold Wings- Using half it's movement, the Giant Wasp can fold it's wings to squeeze into smaller passages, allowing it to move through passages small enough for a Medium creature at full speed. Doing so removes the Giant Wasp's fly speed until it uses half it's movement on it's turn to unfold it's wings again.

Mini Background-

Fuckhuge highly territorial (And intelligent) wasps, they'll leave you alone if it looks like you're just passing through their territory, but start poking around for their nest and you'll have a very bad time. They're smart enough to realize attacking humanoids=retaliation, so they tend to only attack when provoked, because while they're big and scary they'd stand no chance against an organized army.

Nobody knows where they came from, only popping up in the last 50 years or so. Anti-Wizard types claim "The abominations are probably the result of some bored Wizard fucking with the Gods' domain again"
>>
>>53223133
>If they remove the nails to free her she goes berserk and tries to kill anything in sight.

you're doing a great job training your players to be murderhobos
>>
Haven't played in several months. I remember when did play last there was some controversy over the use of the Crossbow Expert feat. Was there ever a rules clarification about it?
>>
>>53223169
Alright, fair enough.
Looks a bit better.
Roll some dice and playtest it a bit yourself. Shouldn't take long to determine if it's too powerful or not.
>>
>>53222962
Way of the>>53223023
Beat me to it.

>>53223030
>Man has a barren wife
Just say she couldn't get pregnant and they didn't know why, since they usually wouldn't. Maybe he's a miner or some other occupation that usually fucks up your potency. He found an old buried lamp, etc.

Also, I'm really bothered that there's a genasi for every ability score except Cha, the score for the class with inborn magic.
>>
>>53223171
It's going to be fairly obvious she's murderously insane to anyone who speaks Sylvan.

Also I do plan for their to be other solutions of course, just if worst comes to worst then I don't want a TPK on my hands.
>>
>>53223169
Just change fold wings to something simpler, like "As long as it isn't flying, it can fit into smaller passages like it's a medium creature." Its walking speed is already less than half its flying speed, and if it flies up to a passage and lands to go through, it has to stop at the door if it's already flown 20' that turn, etc.
>>
>>53223223
>Just say she couldn't get pregnant and they didn't know why, since they usually wouldn't.
Yeah that's essentially what I meant when I say barren. She's not diagnosed or anything. They could just never get pregnant.

I agree about the cha thing. I guess they just wanted a con race instead. But it's cool, I may take the actor feat since we usually do a level 1 bonus feat for these types of campaigns.
>>
>>53223212
Yes, probably, but that was way more than a few months ago. Are you Rip Van Winkle?
>>
>>53223228
Does anyone in the group speak sylvan?
If the answer is no then you're doing a poor job.
>>
>>53223267
Con baseline gives it more good options than Cha baseline does, I'm just surprised there isn't a single flavor that comes in +cha for its secondary.
>>
>>53223023
In what way is it not retarded fluffwise? "Your skin is extra tough so it's sort of like armour, as long as you don't wear other armour. But also, sometimes when you don't wear armour!"
>>
>>53223304
Not him but
>you are tough so you can withstand blows to an extent (barb unarmored)
>you are wise and dexterous so you can avoid blows

Seemingly, any attack that is possible to hurt your muscle armor would also be a precise enough attack to hit you if you tried to dodge it, or vice versa.
>>
>>53223287
>Also I do plan for their to be other solutions of course

I didn't even tell you the entire encounter, I was originally just asking what level of combat a party of level 1's could handle.
>>
>>53223406
So answer the question, does anyone speak sylvan? If the answer is no, you should have lead with those other solutions.
>>
>>53223406
Don't get so defensive, that's genuinely good advice. Having one of the primary solutions something that is out of the reach of the party isn't a great idea.

If someone has comprehend languages, that's okay then. But in principal, if you're designing around your party you should think about these things.
>>
>>53223434
I don't even know the part make up yet. When they stumble across her it will be a clearing with a bunch of ritual stuff laid out, with her nailed to the tree screaming and shouting while spitting and baring her teeth at them. Her chest cavity is torn open and there's a small fire burning inside.

If they remove one of the nails from her hand then she starts clawing at them, if they remove them all she tries to kill them.

If they read the notes or they can figure out the runes of a binding circle around her then they'll be able to hopefully figure out that she's been. Corrupted. Also all the usual solutions to figuring out if something's cursed or corrupted (Divine Sense, Identify and etc.).

>>53223456
Yeah I get that. I actually come to /5eg/ occasionally when I'm having trouble with an encounter because while people here are generally dicks about everything they do get your gears turning to figure out things you've missed. It's helpful.
>>
File: Magic Chained Sword.png (80KB, 1383x479px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Chained Sword.png
80KB, 1383x479px
Anon's Quest for a lot of scalable magic items continues!

This is a chained longsword that was forged during a cataclysmic world shattering event. It has a magic chain that allows the wielder to throw, grapple, and knock people prone.

I feel its kinda boring in its current state anyone have any ideas as of making it more fun or interesting or unique?
>>
>>53219774
>>53219774
What if I rolled for stats and I am playing a kensei?
10, 14, 13, 16, 15, 15
>>
>>53219774
>>53223759
Not in this order ofc
>>
>>53223672
Wish my DM made decent magic items. Anytime he makes some for us, its clear he doesn't understand the system from a players perspective and they either don't work with the actions you have per turn, or are too strong
>>
>>53223759
Well 10, 16, 15, 13, 15, 14 is the obvious answer and then go V.Human for your free feat.

Skill Monkey still isn't you though, just having proficiency in 7 skills doesn't really fill the roll. Bard's get half proficiency in everything and can use spells to cover gaps, Rogues get a bunch of abilities to make them failing a check nearly impossible and Monks... Get combat.

If you want to be a Kensai skill monkey for whatever reason you might as well be a Monk/Rogue.
>>
File: 1488873993984.jpg (133KB, 444x511px) Image search: [Google]
1488873993984.jpg
133KB, 444x511px
How much should someone prepare before they run LMoP
>>
>>53223793
First I would recommend telling your DM that the items they are giving you is too strong or not worth it and they should look online for help if they have been doing this all alone. Reddit has a good page for it called Unearthed Arcana.

Also, I can't help but ask do you think this item is decent? What would you change about it?
>>
Someone name the city my player's are starting at.
>>
Is there a method to build a ghost/spirit/ethereal themed character?
Avoiding damage through intangibility, invisibility, flight, ectoplasma optional.
What would be the best way to fluff such a character?
>>
>>53223882
Read the whole thing twice and a third time when you go to run a specific section.
>>
>>53223970
Tristian
>>
>>53223972
Shadow Sorcerer. Instead of being like a dead body, you're like a ghost.
>>
>>53224002
Now I know that's from some game but I can't remember what. Fuck it's on the tip of my tongue.
>>
>>53223672
Why did you go for a longsword over an actual thrown weapon?
>>
Is it possible to make a knight/warrior/fighter who can summon multiple crabs? I want this more than anything, but don't know if there's a class that would do this kind of thing
>>
>>53223865
If you want to be a monk with useful out of combat skills, I'd tell him Shadow Monk for Pass Without Trace, darting between shadows, and invisibility.
>>
>>53224058
Druid/Fighter.

Beastmaster Ranger who starts with 1 crab but eventually gets Conjure Animals.
>>
>>53224018
Oh that works pretty well.
Any spells or feats that work with it really well?
I was thinking some necromancy utility/damage spells, like Chill Touch for the main damage cantrip.
>>
>>53224046
I thought about a dagger or handaxe but instead, I took a page from the dwarven thrower and wanted something that could be used in melee without feeling like you should be using something else.
>>
>>53224058
>>53224107
>Beastmaster Ranger
This, mainly. It's the simplest.
>>
>>53224107
Don't forget Magic Initiate for a mini crab.
>>
File: 7xSwordKamaitachiCrit.gif (721KB, 320x192px) Image search: [Google]
7xSwordKamaitachiCrit.gif
721KB, 320x192px
>>53224046
>>53224119
Also, this is an accurate image of what it looks like in combat.
>>
There's an enormous, incredible forest in my setting.

How can I encourage my players to explore it on foot without just saying they can't bring their horses into it? There's no reason why a horse /shouldn't/ be able to navigate a forest but I'd rather they hike through it on foot
>>
>>53224118
Chill Touch, Invisibility, Greater Invisibilty, Blur, Levitate, Catapult, Gaseous Form, Blight, Telekinesis, Animate Objects, Mage Hand, Eyebite, Investiture of Wind, Etherallness and Reverse Gravity.

Those are what I got from skimming the Sorcerer's spell list but I'm sure there's more.

Also hold the fuck up, I just read Catapult again and I thought it was basically a saving throw version of Chromatic Orb but:

"If the object would strike a creature, that creature must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the object strikes the target and stops moving. In either case, both the object and the creature or solid surface take 3d8 bludgeoning damage."

Does that mean it does the damage no matter what and only stops moving if they fail the save?
>>
>>53224058
Primeval Guardian Ranger refluffed. Become the giant enemy crab. Summom mini crabs.
>>
>>53224193
For some reason I was expecting this to explain the crab warrior thing.

Speaking of>>53224058
Honorable mention to Nature cleric.
>>
>>53224245
RAW yes. That's pretty funny and decently strong.
>>
>>53224245
The spell text is pretty damn clear, dude, don't overthink it.
If the creature succeeds on the save, it's implied they're dodging it, and the object still keeps going and is going to damage something beyond them. (Like a wall, or another creature)
>>
>>53224245
If they make the save, it does not strike the creature. It can also hit solid objects.
>>
>>53224280
>>53224266
>>53224107
So pick your favorite Cancer build.
>>
>>53224296
That's what I'm thinking, it seems like a rather large oversight and makes the spell even better.

>>53224301
>>53224315
I agree but the way it's worded there's no way to avoid the damage.
>>
>>53224127
What wizard cantrip would you get as a UA beastmaster? Attack ones don't seem great for them.
I guess message might be ok for commanding your pet when it is too far to hear you
>>
>>53221199
>not the European stereotype
>posts the European stereotype

Sasuga anon.
>>
>>53224404
Mold Earth and Control Water are both fantastic.

Create Bonfire could be meme-tier since crabs have grapple on hit and your Concentration isn't used quite as much as Ranger as, say, Cleric.
>>
>>53222563
>Gundam Hexblade
>>
>>53224245
Thanks, I'll make a note of all those.
>>
>>53222378
I use the Downtime UA for it now.
>>
File: 1431144173790.jpg (77KB, 684x722px) Image search: [Google]
1431144173790.jpg
77KB, 684x722px
>do hartkiller's Horn (DDAL05-17)
>5/6/8/8 level team, ranger, rogue, fighter, paladin
>get our asses beat so bad, ranger and rogue die, are eaten and can't retrieve the bodies, characters retired
>fail mission, but get minimum xp just for surviving

that was some extra bullshit, the beast is a fucking challenge rating TWELVE, and literally none of us had magic weapons, nor did we have a spellcaster that could give it (paladin was out of spells at this point). It was immune to half the different elements, resistant to non-magical weapon damage. We were screwed from the first round. The adventure league rewards are so screwed up I fucking swear, not one of us at that point had a magic weapon even though this is late tier 2 shit, cause they are stingy with what they give out and it may be something you wouldn't be too great at using anyways!
>>
File: 1479612017195.jpg (1MB, 1000x1486px) Image search: [Google]
1479612017195.jpg
1MB, 1000x1486px
What's the most cool and/or fun kind of caster to play?
>>
File: 1442445007685.jpg (443KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1442445007685.jpg
443KB, 1920x1080px
>>53222791
>Large

Is it...rideable?
>>
>>53223865
Sorry, I was referring to AIS order, I'm not the skill monkey player. I went 10 17 15 14 16 15 after racials
>>
>>53224692
Warlock, Invocations are an amazing Utility.
Wizard if you want more Versatility or Sorcerer if you just want to blast things.
>>
>>53223025

Yes. They'll just pretend you aren't doing anything, maybe make a snide comment, and keep acting like the party face with their poncy lisp with maximum passive aggressiveness. Seen it before.

The PC in question was a thirteen-year-old boy who dressed like a girl and was some kind of knowledge cleric and a tremendous faggot. Apparently he was a trap because the cleric who raised him dressed that way. My PC was an Archerbro associated with the church and wanted to have her investigated for child abuse, so trap-kid-faggot-kun threw a fit over it then pretended my PC wasn't there for several sessions. I also paid other, younger children to punch him in the arm to make him man up. And tried to make him eat bacon.
>>
>>53224829

Er, clarification. This boy was raised by a woman Cleric who dressed him like a girl. The player literally didn't understand why his PC thinking this was fine didn't persuade my Archer.
>>
>>53224399
Alternate explanation, you're retarded.
>>
>>53224474
Iron man hexblade
>>
>>53224865
>that creature must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the object strikes the target and stops moving. In either case, both the object and the creature or solid surface take 3d8 bludgeoning damage.

>In either case, both the object and the creature or solid surface take 3d8 bludgeoning damage.

RAW it literally says that they take damage no matter if they succeed on the saving throw or not.

RAI obviously it's fucking retarded and I found clarification from Crawford saying it doesn't work like that. Of course no one would allow it and I'm not going to try and say they should.

It's just that the wording of the spell is retarded.
>>
>>53223759
Then the DM buffed you. It'd still be a bad idea and also I'm not awfully keen on Kensai but it wouldn't exactly be a bad idea.
>>
I am hunting in the city. What can expect in it? What should I worry about?
>>
>>53224956
"Either case" is if the object strikes a creature and stops early, or strikes a solid surface and stops early, moron.
>>
>>53224999
I agree that's what they mean. They put it directly after the part about saves and didn't put a "If the target fails the save they tak XdX" like most spells though.

What they mean is obvious but you can't deny that they worded it awfully.
>>
>>53224002

You're a cool guy and a paragon of virtue.
>>
>>53222499
>Barbarian is worse than fighter
>A class that deals more damage dealing just as many attacks except with extra damage and advantage over fighter, obtains resistance to damage (or less resistance to damage in return for giving the entire fucking team except the ranged attackers advantage) and an AC only 1 lower (Or if you dedicate yourself, 2 higher) and also advantage on grapples and dex saves, and is also faster is worse than fighter.
I mean, of course, fighter gets an extra ASI or two, doesn't need rages (if you somehow run out), some of the archetype features are interesting and action surge gives a bit of extra burst, but for most relevant levels (1-10) it's pretty much better. At 11-whatever it's kinda lame but it makes up for it in the very late levels with features like that level 20 feature.

You can even use two-weapon-fighting on barbarian and not suck hard, though it's highly recommendable you go into rogue from there, as well as with sword and board.

Fighter's better for ranged combat, though.
But honestly, if you want burst, you can go paladin.
>>
>>53225088
It still amazes me people don't dip Barbarian more often on a fighter. 1-2 levels is all you need and thanks to Fighter ASI's you're not even put behind most people for doing it.
>>
What's up with 5e encounter building, deadly encounters if made by DMG guidelines and adjusted xp are either a cakewalk that ends in less than 5 turns with potentially the PCs using one third of their resources or ignoring adjusted xp for groups of enemies and turning the encounter into a possible TPK scenario. I have yet to build or play in a game with a good middle ground in combat, it's either a 5 minute workday or burying a party member.
>>
>>53225133
Mostly it's a combination of the Weapon feats letting a single level 5 Fighter nearly able to kill a young dragon by himself and people not enforcing the 1 rest per 24 hours.
>>
>>53224043
Are you thinking of Tristram from diablo? Because that's what it made me think of.
>>
>>53225169
That's it, that's what I was thinking of.
>>
>>53225118
It's not a bad idea, though it does mean you can't use heavy armour, which might matter sometimes perhaps.
Especially good if you have high stats though, as you can use unarmoured defence anyway.
>>
>>53225197
It's worth noting that the Bear Totems damage resistance lets you use Heavy Armour with it. I mean at that point it's likely not worth it as much but it's still a cool little thing.
>>
>>53225218
It's worth noting that it's not supposed to. You get no benefits from raging while in heavy armor.
>>
Pure autism on this question, but do beasts with Natural Armor count as being "armored" for conditions and spells?
>>
>>53225218
Huh. That's pretty useful for a dex barbarian, actually, between the levels of 1 and 8, assuming they multiclass into rogue after barbarian level 5.
Though it's +1 AC for the cost of flexibibility (Using strength for reckless attack for, I don't know, sneak attack is weaker because no rage damage, grapples are worse even if you weren't specialized for them and instead of starting with 13 strength or more you have to start with 15 strength or more) but it's entirely plausible.
>>
>>53225302
I'd think not. The only thing I can think of that effects armor would be heat metal (which wouldn't effect natural armor, of course) so was there something in particular you're looking at?
>>
>>53225302
Natural armour is like skin and flesh and all that, it's just skin and flesh on a human gives an AC of 10. A rocky creature is made of rock and has a higher natural AC.

So, no, not unless literally fucking everything is armoured.
>>
Is it possible to be a powerhouse as a Monk and, if so, what weapon would you be using?
>>
>>53225326
Certain spells that boost AC, like Mage Armor, only work if the target is "unarmored."
>>
>>53219978
Will Wheaton has guested as well

he rolled very poorly
>>
>>53225469
Is his constant whinging and screeching an act for the crowd or is he actually insufferable? Because fucking damn is he annoying.

Acq Inc suffered because he was there and didn't let go of something that happened. Fucking hell.
>>
I'm going to try out building a character's backstory with a planned out multiclass for once.

What's something interesting that works well with Assassin other then Barbarian? I was thinking Whisper Bard of Paladin maybe.
>>
>>53224193
>absolutely patrician
>>
>>53225580
Literally anything with extra attack including bladepactwarlock, bladesingerwizard, etc. essentially works.

I'd recommend trying shadow monk 6/rogue
>>
Is GWM/SS worth it on a Tempest Cleric? If not I'll probably just use a Javelin for that Lightning Bolt feel.
>>
>>53225704
If your role in the party is damage, then yeah, it's pretty good. Not 100% must pick, since you have no extra attack.

If you're supposed to be a mix of disruption and support, then no. Commit to an ASI in Wisdom for better spells.
>>
>>53225580
Dragon Sorcerer. Use the BB/GFB spam for your normal damage like a Stone Sorcerer and when you get Surprise then just use Scorching Ray.
>>
File: Diabolist - ToC 31-37.pdf (789KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Diabolist - ToC 31-37.pdf
789KB, 1x1px
How do I fix the shitfest that is the Diabolist?
Fucken ENworld
>>
>>53225773
You play a Fiend Chainlock and ask for the Demon summoning spells from That Old Black Magic UA.
>>
>>53223672
Anyone have anything else to add to make this weapon somewhat better?
>>
>NPC jokingly offers PC 20,000 gold to kill other PC
>He actually tries to do it
Wew.
>>
>>53225773
>What if we take a character concept that already is contained in a class
>And make it an entirely NEW class
So this is where 3.PF class bloat comes from.
>>
>>53225773
Should have just stuck with the summoner concept honestly, summoning list seems like shit effort
>>
>>53225857

i dont understand some of these stories

is this online or among friends in real life gaming?
>>
>>53225927
Online.

NPC lazily said he'd give the Blood Hunter 20k to kill the Warlock so he could examine the Slaad egg inside her, in a very joking tone.

Nope, Blood Hunter assumed it was 100% serious, popped his Lycan form and started tearing into the Warlock. The NPC just watched for a few rounds before tossing a smoke bomb at him. Warlock blindly stumbled around and fell down the stairs, going unconscious. Paladin quickly subdued the Blood Hunter.
>>
>>53225527
That's him, anon. You can't make that shit up on a casual stream of some tabletop.
>>
Defense fighting style or Dueling?
>>
>>53225949
This is all very autistic.
>>
>>53225949

ugh.

i'll never understand this. the entire premise of playing this game to me is its supposed to be a bunch of lads enjoying a story.
>>
>>53225949
Was that in-character for the Blood hunter? I imagine the couple rounds of him watching this happen was the NPC just reeling from the autism coming off that guy.
>>
>>53225984
I don't think you know what autism is, anon.

>>53225988
>>53225989
It was very unexpected. I had created the Alchemist NPC as just this lazy merchant who, when they walked into his shop, complained that he had to actually deal with customers.

So after that I was expecting for the natural development to be the Blood Hunter using it as a sort of "the lycanthrope blood within me is causing problems" but it was, according to him, just because "he likes money".
>>
>>53226023
Everyone was acting very autistically. You could've stopped it, you blithering fucking retard.
>>
>>53226023

>le derail everything because >muh alignment

absolute cancer
>>
>>53225981
Depends on how many attacks are aimed a you. Dueling is probably +2 damage most turns while Defence is 5% less attacks will hit you.

If you are going for an AC stacking tanky build then Defence is good.
>>
>>53226035
Do you even know what autism actually is, anon? Because that sure as hell isn't it.
>>
>>53223672
>>53225828
Can you perform the pulling effect multiple times, can you use it on subsequent turns, or is it part of the "on-hit" effect? I wish this was worded better.
A cool thing would be a significant change in appearance, once it changes.
I feel that it needs additional traits to really signify a change.
Perhaps at some stage it can cast grasping vine a number of times per day. The vine would appear to be a chain.
Why is it called calamity, it doesn't do very calamitous things.
And it's virtuous?!
>>
>>53226046
It's a word that's pretty much lost meaning on this site.
>>
>>53226046

people on this site just interchange autism as a buzzword which negates the entire point. being a buttfucking moron isnt autism it just makes you a buttfucking moron
>>
>>53226046
Do you even know how to run a good game?

In any case, autists are generally fucking retards. Literal retards.
>>
>>53226076
>Stopping players from following through their actions
>Good
I bet you also whine about "railroading".
>>
>>53226080
If it's stupid disruptive shit, which is also what autists do, if you actually understand what autism is, you little shit, then you'd stop it.

But you're a stupid shit.
>>
Quick - how would you kill a PC without being obvious?
>>
>>53226051
>Fix wording and clarify abilities.
On it.

>Change in appearance
Its appearance will change slightly as it grows.

>Name
I like the name its cool... but that's all it really is. I had the idea of making it so you could slam people into the ground and into other things/people to fit with the calamity part, I might add that.

Thank you so much for the feedback!
>>
How do you guys handle the transition from dialogue into combat?
The example I'm not sure about is the "I punch him" instigation- everyone knows a fight is likely to kick off, so nobody is surprised, right? Does the instigator get a free hit? When do you roll initiative? If the instigator rolls lower than the guy who's about to be punched, and gets punched first, did he really start the fight? Is he forced to throw a punch on his turn even if the entire combat goes before him?
How about if it's a spell? Does the lightning bolt have to point the same way? Does fireball catch allies that weren't there when he decided his action?
Why does turn based combat work so badly??
>>
So is there anything preventing an Artificer from taking a second Bag of Holding at 5 because all the other items (except arguably Alchemy Jug) is just shit?
>>
File: file.png (13KB, 290x77px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
13KB, 290x77px
>>53226287
Nope.

I'd take the alchemy jug though. Free mayonnaise.
>>
File: IMG_1484.jpg (437KB, 1181x881px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1484.jpg
437KB, 1181x881px
>>53218508

Starting my first d&d (5e) game soon, hyped as fuck. Been lurking here and at gitpg for years. Friends slowly got into the idea of running a campaign. Gonna play a college of swords bard and help the SHIT out of bitches.
>>
>>53226287
Honestly I feel like the Magic Items are a cool part of the Artificer but they should be able to recover or change one item per Long Rest. If your DM's not a dick though he'll give you some way to recover them if they're lost, even if it involves an adventure.

Level 5 ones I'd take Rope of Climbing, Alchemy Jug or Wand of Magic Detection. Depending on the campaign.
>>
>>53224239
Have horses slow them down, because they have to find viable paths through brambles and roots. Alternatively, the horses are a liability/attract random encounters because of their size and the noise they make navigating.
>>
File: 300px-Undead03-large.jpg (64KB, 300x431px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Undead03-large.jpg
64KB, 300x431px
So I'm building an undying warlock for an upcoming campaign. I'm planning on taking magic initiate for a free hex casting a day, along with still adding hex to my spell list. I was also planning on making a custom background. Which backgrounds' feature are the best to grab. I was thinking about going with Bad Reputation for flavor.
>>
So what do you guys do if your party doesn't take any plot hooks? I'd hate to have to improvise an entire dungeon or something of the sort, but don't want to "railroad" either
>>
Star Pact paladins are important and valuable. Ignoring the absentee flavor and the presence of a creature called "placeholder" on page 4, how does this look mechanically? http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryQy_RhmlZ

I'm trying not to break things but I probably did anyway.

>>53226742
The plot gets aggressive, and hunts them down.
>>
>>53226611
>recover or charge one item per long rest
I wanna understand what you mean. You mean like wands or staves that have charges and get some (but not all) charges back at certain points, you feel you should be able to charge them fully?
>>53226303
I had a thought about alchemy jugs and your mechanical companions, specifically that you can take giant spiders as the basis for your animal companion but things like poisoning bite and webs, while not addressed specifically in the parameters for your mechanical companion, would not necessarily cross over (while things like spider climb and dark vision and maybe even websense would) and so to overcome that potential limitation you could hook up an alchemy jug, which generates poison in small amounts, to your giant spider mechanical companion to give them the poison in their bite attack.
>>
>>53226758
Also ignore the description for The Stars Are Right. I stole somebody's Oath of Oblivion as a template and I guess I forgot to scrub that bit about the scythe and the horseperson.
>>
>>53226742
Have you heard of "soft railroading?"

Basically having plot hooks that can be improvised through different means of being started. The players wouldn't listen to the poor beggar who is trying to get someone to help them track down their family's killer? Then give the entire town they're in a connection to the family or the killer, so they can start the plot hook! And if they still refuse to take the bait, have the killer start gunning for them.
>>
>>53226738
Bad Reputation is probably the best.

Also looking over the Undying Warlock, the level 4 spells a really good. Aura of Life is honestly an amazing spell to get on the short rest casts.

>>53226776
Recover or Change is what I typed. Basically you're going into a dungeon? Oh well I'll disassemble my bag of holding to make goggles of night.

The recovering is for the inevitable time you lose the magic item or it breaks.
>>
>>53226742
Reuse your assets. Party didn't take the hook to cost tour specially crafted dungeon, but got wind of some other dungeon from the barkeep? Turns out they're the same dungeon, and while they're down there they find some mysterious artifact that they need to seek out the initial plot hook people to identify.

Basically, make the plot hooks work retroactively. Instead of meeting with the people that tell them where your macguffin is, they find the macguffin while doing their own thing.
>>
>>53226758
That's probably what i'd do, things would get bloody quickly if they ignore them, although I see people here complain about railroading every thread even though the campaign really depends on the adventures the DM designs.
>>53226780
I actually haven't, seems like a good middle ground, I just want to keep options open for the characters by giving them a few different choices for adventures but not necessarily force a single one on them.

Somewhat related, anyone have any good stories about improv'd dungeons or adventures that went surprisingly well or fantastically terrible?
>>
>>53218508
>passed influence with neeshka but still had to kill her

Oh well
>>
>Artificer can make Bag of Beans
What's the best way to pass a DC20 CON save as an Artificer?

Guidance, having a Pally in the party, and Resilient- CON?
>>
The fact the an aarakocra open-hand monk/divination wizard highbrid isnt outright banned as the most OP thing you can create is beyond me.
>>
I know it's taboo amongst more serious players but I love rolling for my stats. I'm not a fan of point buy.

While point buy is arguably more balanced, it feels too rote and mechanical. I like rolling because I like being surprised by the kinds of things my character will (or won't) be able to do based on the resulting scores.

I know some DMs mandate point buy so that their whole party is relatively equal, but rolling adds more excitement to the character creation process and the outcomes are always different.
>>
File: DnD_ADVL.png (18KB, 432x222px) Image search: [Google]
DnD_ADVL.png
18KB, 432x222px
Can anyone tell me if I can use the character rebuild option in adventurers league to select different spells for my wizard? I started with Chromatic Orb but now that I found a scroll for that it would be better to pick something else and copy the scroll. Is this legal? Is this frowned upon?
>>
>>53218508
Does anyone have a well-thought out list of items players can purchase besides the typical one?
>>
>>53218976
Guessing /tg/ hates him because he is popular
>>
>>53220876
Keyleth took 100d6 points of damage for falling off of a 1000 foot cliff, then got revived.
>>
You can grapple as an opportunity attack, would you allow it?
>>
>>53226946
Like magic items? Or an expanded list of mundane items?
>>53226971
But 20d6 is max. Is that another rule that mercer disregarded?
>>
>arguably more balanced

It is more balanced. It should never be an argument. If someone questions whether giving every player a static pool of points is more balanced than giving every player to the carte blanche of chaos, find their handler and report the issue.

>rolling adds more excitement

Being on fire is fucking exciting too, but it carries horrific long-term risks - identical to rolling for your stats - and if someone tells you they WANT to roll for stats, treat it like a case of self-immolation. They're sick and they need help.

To be honest, I've never seen a player who PREFERRED rolling who was not also a low-investment low-creativity player whose favorite Lord of the Rings character is either Aragorn (who he thinks he's gonna roll) or Merry (who he doesn't aim above rolling.) About half actually think they're the other way - high-investment, high creativity - but what they mean by this is they have a lot of stupid things they want to do with ropes and ball bearings that effectively add up to "I want my stats (and other players' stats, and encounter stats) not to matter so I don't have to live with them" and they just love their zany characters at the absolute and ultimate expense of collective storytelling.

It's not a trend, it's a breed, and it's toxic. I do not allow new players to roll or to learn about rolling. On the four cases over my time of mentoring the little ones I've been asked about it, I do my best to explain it the same way you explain Grandpa is racist.

This is ethically correct. I understand that gambling is a thrill and an addiction, but it really is game-poison, it really does devalue your story and everyone else's. Helping it to die is a form of community service. I'm not saying I hate your happiness, I'm saying that for the good of your fellow roleplayers you need to find new sources of joy, and there are many such sources to be had, so I'm not too worried about how you're gonna end up.
>>
>>53226916
did you just say 'highbrid'?
>>
>>53227003
>20d6 is max

There are distances from which a maximum just doesn't make sense, for example, a 1000 foot cliff. It's like if your level 15 barbarian is dead drunk passed out and the village spends all night lining up a chisel on your forehead and then has the blacksmith hit it with a warhammer, it doesn't matter how high your HP was or how many death saving throws you're entitled to.
>>
>>53226996
Yeah.
>>
>>53226906
Pally and a Divination Wizard.
>>
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ryQy_RhmlZ
Bumping for attention. Just want to know how it's shaping up mechanically.
>>
>>53227003
He forgot the rule at the time.
https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/862884806828281856
>>
File: overly happy kid.png (75KB, 178x230px) Image search: [Google]
overly happy kid.png
75KB, 178x230px
>>53227008

no
>>
>>53227023
>Playing with a DM or being the DM who says "You fall asleep, and Jim, you're dead, here's a new character sheet"

Well, there are cases where miraculously, people survive ridiculous falls.
And HP is not meat points and refer to an aspect of luck as well.
People have fallen ten times the distance in real life and survived.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliane_Koepcke
>>
>>53227003
I'm thinking mundane items a player might find in a shop.
>>
>>53227035
In my drunken state, some of the choices seemed odd but nothing seemed broken.
>>
>>53227052
>"Nothing can kill me unless it depletes my HP first, so you can't kill Jim when he's sleeping."
>HP is not meat points

Pick ONE, you motte-and-bailey clownworshipper.
>>
>>53227073
What does this post mean?
>>
>>53225527
Look up his Twitter or watch any video with him speaking. That's all him and not an act.
>>
>>53227070
That's good. I was mostly worried about Khirad's Gift and the furred shadows. I feel like a 7th level character should have more familiar utility than a 3rd-level warlock, but I didn't want to make those guys feel bad either, so I tried to do different things that emphasize the paladin's role and preferences rather than just make a better imp.

A relatively tough creature (swarm) that can create difficult terrain and web once a day seemed like it'd work. They still have scout-and-utility functions and as a contrast to Pact of the Chain they can't attack at all because I feel like having your imp sneak into a room and kill a goblin is okay but the paladin should his own boomstick.

Khirad's Gift is just an effect I didn't know how to moderate because it's unprecedented. I figure once/day is a pretty good salve for a lot of things.

And more generally, for the 15th-level feature, I'm thinking a flightless CR 3 steed. Powerful enough to live through a fireball, not powerful enough to make summoners jealous with their CR6 fey bullshit.
>>
>>53225580
Shadow monk for the teleport giving free advantage.
>>
>>53227046
Oh well, everybody forgets shit now and then.
>>53227057
There's a pdf that people have been talking about within the last week, specifically it's about giving a bunch of new shit options to martials, but I believe had a bunch of items in it that were basically mundane stuff to buy. Unfortunately I can't remember the name.
Besides that you might want to check older editions or PF because at the very least I know they have a bunch of shit in their item lists that aren't in 5e's list, you might be able to glean some ideas. I'm fairly certain the prices won't be too weird comparatively.
Failing all that, I suppose ask your players what exactly it is they want then find something in the PHB that would have an equivalent rarity and product I n value to compare the price to. 5e is the edition of filling in blanks, after all.
>>
>>53227032
Div Wizard works but it's so easy it's practically cheating.

You might have to bribe the Wiz with letting them have one of your tasty ASI eggs though.
>>
>>53227003
>20d6 is max
Fuck.

Sorry T.J, your Paladin shouldn't be dead.
>>
>>53227119
Khirads gift is definitely interesting, but nothing stuck out to me as "holy shit, that's going to ruin everything". I can't think of any other uses of that feature that cast spells other than clerics and turn undead so it seems alright.

The steed I might change so that it's just straight up the new thing, having it one or the other seems a bit wishy washy. I might even up the damage it does, like 1d6 or CHA damage or something.
>>
>>53226224
If I want to be subtle about a PC being dead, I'd have NPCs ignore them and make sure their actions have no real effects. If they go through a door, it's closed behind them. That sort of thing. Not sure why you'd want to put a player through this though.
>>
Are Seeker Warlocks any good?
>>
File: Magic Chained Sword Version 2.png (91KB, 1111x566px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Chained Sword Version 2.png
91KB, 1111x566px
>>53226051
Anon if you are still here is this clearer? Do you think this is good enough or still think I should add Grasping Vine at the Awaken stage?
>>
I lost my character in the previous session and I had to make one on the spot and I make a Goliath Barbarian, I picked the Wolf aspect to give everyone advantage

Did I make a mistake? My DM seemed perplexed that I wouldn't pick the Berserker path

I hadn't looked up anything I just went for it
>>
>>53227371
Is your party primarily melee people or Rogues? If so you made the right call. If not eh it will matter when it matters.
>>
>>53227371
>dm perplexed berserker
Does he know nothing about 5e or something?

Wolf is perfectly fine, though Bear is generally agreed to be "best".
>>
>>53227333
I am still here.
It looks like a very fun item now.
Though, I'd use different wording slightly, partially personal preference, partially more clear wording.
1) Once you start having items with long descriptions, it might be a good idea to give names to particular abilities or traits of a weapon. For instance, "when you hit a target with a ranged attack" could have a name beforehand, and be its own paragraph.
>Calamity's grip. When you hit a target with a ranged attack...
This way, you can refer to this ability by name and not just a pronoun.
2) "Using an attack action" is not as clear as I'd want it to be. Is it part of one attack, or the whole action? I'd word it something like
>When the target is grappled by Calamity's grip (or whatever), instead of using one of your attacks when you take the Attack action, you can...
or
>When the target is grappled by ..., you can use an action to...

Other than that, it seems fun, I don't think the grasping vine is necessary.
>>
Does crit roll use some kind of modified, low EXP system? For the amount of episodes they have and the amount of shit they've killed, it feels strange that they didn't hit level 20 a looooong time ago.
>>
Does anyone else ever worry about tactics? We left last session starting a fight and we're picking it up today but I'm honestly worried about this.

There's 4 of us at level 2 but none of the other players are very good... Like the Greatsword Fighter's got 14 Strength. No weapon feats on any of the martials either.

We're fighting 3 Bugbears and I'm not a new player and have DM'd before so I know their stats. I'm just worried at least one person will go down.
>>
>>53227437
They fight one monster every handful of episodes, the biggest chunk they've had recently was the conclave fights.
>>
>>53218508
Did 5e finally do away with ASF, and just allow arcane casters to cast spells in armor if they're proficient in armor, without hassle?
>>
>>53227474
Yes.
>>
>>53220781
>>53220824
Sweet Allah fucking Muhammad, we need more batshit crazy muslim clerics being ass-hats so we can set their inane statememts to game features. Fuck!
>>
>>53218558
The encounters are honestly a joke, so the level recommendation is useless. High level players have access to flying, so that makes half the kill-effects in the first half of the dungeon pointless
>>
>>53227480
Oh good. (Yes, I'm new to 5e. Hi!)

So: Spells all have the same DC now rather than differing by spell level: What's the benefit of casting them with a higher slot? Is there a benefit? Or only if the spell calls out something specific for doing so?
>>
>>53227181
I think you're probably right about the steed. Maybe the familiar could go the same way but I figured I'd leave the owl option in there for people who are unspeakably lame.

I didn't want to do too much with damage because I didn't want to make this the best paladin damage option by default. You've got a familiar that can 1/day a damaging web, a channel divinity option that causes damage, and access to Hex - any more and you'd be pushing into parity with Vengeance's advantage, Oathbreaker's undead (close range) artillery, or Treacherous' "boy do you wish you had poison immunity right now" thing.
>>
>>53227564
>Or only if the spell calls out something specific for doing so?
They're also harder to dispel and counterspell, but that's minor
>>
>>53227564
Normally higher level spell slots scale the damage or let you affect more people, such as fly and invisibility.
>>
>>53222211
>>muh curse

You pick cursebringer to hit shit with a greatsword. It's for pally munchkins.

>>muh weapon spirrut I'm not even wielding

Sheilgah is a thing so giving it away as a class feature is no big deal.

>>no extra attacks

It's meant to be used with pact of the blade.

>>implied third-tier sluts to the Raven Queen.

That was only an example with the Blackrazor swords.
You can brew whatever you want.
You can have a saint , angel , wizard or a fucking monk in a sword as your patron, just talk things out with your DM.
>>
>>53227599
Right.

Hmm. Why are curses so easy to get rid of?

And if I want to buff the party using spells, what are the better spells for doing so?
>>
>>53227737
Because they've gotten away from permanent debilitating effects in this game.

Haste is really good especially putting it on martials. The other thing to keep in mind is you can only have one concentration spell going on at a time.
>>
>>53227764
I don't need them to be permanent, I just meant: Remove Curse removes *ALL* Curses with a single casting. But the restoration spells only do a single effect at a time.

>Concentration
Right, though I did notice some spells stop taking concentration when cast in higher level slots.
>>
>>53227810
>though I did notice some spells stop taking concentration when cast in higher level slots.
That's very rare, your gameplay as a caster in 5E is being limited by concentration.
>>
File: Magic Chained Sword Version 3.png (107KB, 1113x612px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Chained Sword Version 3.png
107KB, 1113x612px
>>53227425
Formatting this was a pain and I still think it might look a little weird but here it is.
>>
>>53220837
He said he's going to game with his old group, not a bunch of weird anonymous fetishists.
>>
What are the best options in 5e for building a character with minimal damage output, but effective combat contributions using debuffs and the like?
>>
>>53228064
>minimal damage output
Never aim for this kind of faggotry.

Play a Lore Bard. You will be incredibly effective without needing to do damage, however, when damage needs done, you'll know Meteor Swarm.
>>
>>53225773
>cackling with glee
>tortures a priest for no reason
>clumsy fuckup last line

I don't understand what kind of degenerate underautist would have kickstarted this fucking bullshit. Everything they released is infected garbage.

It's such a fucking waste of time.
>>
>>53228112
>With an erotic wail, the succubus appeared before the merchant counting her coins in isolation. The beardless dwarf in the room below smiled as her alluring summons enticed her quarry. By the time the merchant’s bodyguards could react to her agonized screams, the dwarf and her abyssal servant were long gone

This has to be bait.
>>
>>53228112
Wait what

Kickstarter for DnD Character options? Lel why

You'd have to be a massive kike to start one and a total shabbos goy to back it
>>
>>53228134
>"diabolists are not warlocks, groveling before supreme powers in exchange for their sorcerous table scraps"
>janky evil casters flavored as using their souls to strike bargains with fiends
>using their own souls
>Wisdom is their casting stat

thanks whoever posted this, it's been a riot
>>
>>53226932
You can always roll to randomly decide your stats with an array, or random array, without being a powergamer.
>>
>>53228087
I don't want to have to rely on direct damage as a crutch for most of my actions. I want alternate effective combat strategies. Other party members can focus on direct damage.

Can lore bard be a good offensive combat contributor without relying on his direct damage effects?
>>
>>53226932
I like arrays, personally.

If I'm going for random, my preference is cards. Twelve cards numbered between 4 and 9, adding up to 72, shuffle and draw pairs.

Random arrays with more relative parity than you get with dice.
>>
>>53226932
But the numbers really don't mean much aside from 'DM is more likely to tell you to succeed' or 'DM is more likely to tell you you fail'
It's not like it used to be where classes, genders and races had stat requirements and stats didn't affect gameplay on the scale of 'you deal twice as much damage as this other fighter'.

You can usually just get the same stat proportions with point buy and if you want to be locked down in what you want to do then you can use rolling in order.

Of course I'm just saying the same things I always say.
>>
File: Morph.pdf (806KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Morph.pdf
806KB, 1x1px
Here's another
Basically Ben 10
>>
>>53228165
>I don't want to have to rely

This is what I hate about people like you: they're selectively illiterate in service to a retarded god.

Use your fucking person-eyes and read slow, jackass. You will be capable of dealing massive amounts of direct damage where necessary while also having many options for shutting down entire encounters by yourself in one spellcast without doing any damage.

Don't fucking idolize the idea of DELIBERATELY gimping yourself. Take fireball, disintegration, and meteor swarm. You have all your other spells and abilities, but it's essential that you not be a fucking failure-point for your friends, who probably already have a hard time with you in general, by ending up in a critical moment where all you have for damage is vicious mockery against a boss with a charge of Legendary Resistance remaining.

If you're just playing online, ignore the above and tell the DM you don't even need a class, you just want to flirt with men you mistakenly believe to be taller than you. They'll understand. If they're running games online, they probably expected you already.

>can a bard be a good

Yes.
>>
>>53228208
How much did the cucks pay for these?
>>
>>53228241
10 pounds for shite homebrew
>>
>>53228250
Good grief
>>
File: Charlie-Brown.jpg (25KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
Charlie-Brown.jpg
25KB, 550x413px
>>53228250
>>53228259
>>
>>53228064
Wizard and lore bard are your initial best bets.
From there, cleric and druid.
From there, wolf barbarogue perhaps with shieldmaster and repelling+slowing blast feywarlock and artificer. Maybe mystic, don't know about mystic.
From there, paladin or a rogue focused on out of combat stuff, or a thief rogue with lots of nice items on them or maybe a mastermind rogue I guess.

The lower down the list, the more damage they naturally do while supporting.
However, a wizard or lore bard can still do high damage as mentioned, it's just they don't normally do high damage because they're better using their spell slots for other things.
>>
>>53228250
Nope, no, fuck no. Please tell me you're just trying rustle my jimmies.
>>
>>53228210
>All that projecting.
Wow anon. No need to tell us where the bad man touched you, that's probably better suited for your close friends and your therapist.

I don't game online, I game with my actual friends. Gonna be the first 5e campaign with the group, and all the "concentration" limits had me wondering if a status effect focused character would even work in this system, or if "go lore bard and have damage options" meant "go lore bard, and use your limited access the occasional debuff to supplement your hitting shit".

Your first answer did not answer that question with very much clarity.

No need to get angry and project your emotional scars from playing roll20 with people you met on Tumblr, or whatever the fuck that was all about.
>>
>>53228275
It's not new that people pay, what, £2 for a shit piece of homebrew class that gives hints the maker doesn't fully understand 5e.
So, it's not unexpected a whole ton of shit classes will cost five times as much.
>>
File: 10.png (15KB, 392x363px) Image search: [Google]
10.png
15KB, 392x363px
>>53228275
and that's the cheapest option
some people actually went and got two physical copies of the shit book
>>
>>53228293
Jesus fucking Christ, was there a preview for it or were people just seeing some gay and edgy class name and willing to fork out money so they can harass DM's on Roll20 to let them use it?
>>
>>53228268
Got it.

Does 5es "concentration" mechanic make playing such a character effectively very difficult to do?

Like, it looks like I can only have one ongoing spell at a time for the most part, for instance, I can't have cause fear active on more than one creature at the same time from multiple castings. That's what made me wonder how viable such a character trying to focus primarily on such effects actually was.
>>
>>53228309
>>53228293
>>53228288
>>53228275
>>53228250
>>53228259
>>53228264
>>53228241
>>53228208
It's Kickstarter after all. You're (general you) a fucking idiot to trust these fucks.
>>
>>53228309
Aside from only showing crappy fluff pages, you're basically spot on. Dunno how WotC let ENworld shit pass
>>
>>53228281
>All that projecting
I think that might actually be displacement.
>>
>>53228288
>It's not new that people pay, what, £2 for a shit piece of homebrew class that gives hints the maker doesn't fully understand 5e.

Huh.. Only place I still hang around online to discuss RPGs is /tg/ so I might be a little out of touch, but wtf is wrong with people?
>>
>>53228321
No, concentration does not make playing such a character effectively very difficult to do.

It is, for example, pretty fucking difficult to disrupt someone's concentration when you're stunned, restrained, grappled, and frightened.
>>
>>53228321
The trick is to still be using basic Cantrips and non-concentration control spells (Grease, Mold Earth and etc.) while keeping a powerful Concentration one up.

Any class who has a natural ability to be doing something other then attacks will have a higher chance of being able to do this effectively. Enchanter Wizard for instance can keep up a Concentration spell while also using their Charm to take someone out of the fight.
>>
>>53228333
Wizards is more genial and laidback this edition, they don't seem to have a stick up their arse which is good. That has been taken on by other development houses.

>>53228343
People are retards, yes.
>>
>>53228343
'Hey, homewbrewing is fun'
>Inexperienced person makes homebrew
'Hey, maybe I should charge money for it'
>Doesn't do adequate testing
'Okay, pay me money, I put it in a fancy book'

I've been in this plcae for way, way too long, and I can say I pretty much know 5e inside-out. I doubt most people wanting to homebrew have the same sort of experience, especially if they're something like a small company monetizing it.

And you know, with experience in 5e you learn this one fact - 'Homebrewing a fairly balanced class is fucking hard.'
>>
>>53228382
Homebrewing in 5e is fucking hard because it shatters a lot of preconceived assumptions, especially holdovers from earlier editions. Yet fucking retards insist on designing this way. Why the fuck?
>>
>>53228343
Say what you will but at least people on /tg/ actually know the rules for games pretty well. I mean sure people might not know surprise well or whatever but go onto GitP, ENworld or Reddit and the amount of completely fucking retarded ideas is amazing.
>>
>>53228398
Because if you're not experienced, it doesn't look so hard, I guess?

It's not just fairly balancing it, but making it actually relevant. For example, flavour-wise, each class should be distinct and capture a character type that can't already be easily done with something else.
It should also be mechanically distinct, not just a clone of another class but with alterations.
It should thus have new mechanics that AREN'T broken somehow.
And then there's stupid terminology you have to get your head around like 'a fist is not a weapon but is a melee weapon attack but a firebolt is not a weapon but isn't a ranged weapon attack' and unwritten but implied rules such as how spellcasting progression works or how advantage should be a situational/only applies to certain uses of a skill.
>>
>>53228341
You're right. The word escaped me.

>>53228343
People want more 5e options, and they're willing to pay to get it even risking sub par quality. And since almost none of it has a damned review, you have no idea what you're paying for unless it's one of the 'pay what you want' books and you first downloaded it for free.

Also $10 isn't a whole lot of money to some people, and theyre comfortable chucking it for goods of unknown quality. It's the same price as a burger and fries from a burger King or something similar.

>>53228354
My thought was that while I'm keeping you stunned there may not be a whole hell of a lot else I've got going on, and I end up doing basic attacks/damage cantrips or the like in the meantime until that one spell ends.

>>53228358
Thanks. Gotcha.

>>53228382
All good points.
>>
>>53228421
>>53228441
Does the lack of expanded options in 5e mean you could potentially make a fair bit just by making trash?
>>
Funnest Wizard option other then Loremaster?

I've been thinking of playing either a Bladesinger or an Enchanter.
>>
>>53228451
Potentially. The Magus on dmg head stretch goals of additional subclasses that get added as it gets more sales, it's earned over 1k so far, and it's pay what you want.

I imagine it's an outlier though.

I've seen a bunch of stuff that it looked like nobody has ever bought it.
>>
>>53228451
Probably.
I mean, I'll admit, some of these classes have good concepts and could probably be played without it being game-breaking, but they're still not adequate to be anything that should ever be printed in an official book. They often has abusable aspects to them or redundancies or such.
>>
>>53228472
Enchanter definitely looks fun.
>>
Is there a good official option to use to build a mage specialized in controlling time and space?

Haste/slow, teleporting, gravity manipulation, etc?

Just use wizard?

Are any of the many cheonomancer type archetype homebrews I've seen floating around any good?
>>
>>53228543
Just be a Transmuter and pick spells that match your theme, it's definitely the easiest way.
>>
So I'm building a dungeon tower. The theme is sand and hourglasses. So far I've got:

>a pair of rooms, one above, one below, the bottom one filled with sand, where flipping a lever swaps them round, so sand pours into the empty one and they can climb it to get to the next floor (and there's loot under the sand in the now empty one)
>a weighted rotating floor trap
>a room that starts filling with sand as they enter, with a sequence of levers they have to work out to stop the sand and open the doors

What are some other puzzles and traps I can include? There are a few giant scorpions in there for good measure.
>>
>>53228600
>>
>>53228600
It'd be kinda interesting to make the hourglass the entire tower.

Once the players reach the top of the tower, the entire tower rotates and they start playing along the ceiling instead of the floor. There's stuff on the ceiling on the way up, but trying to do that would be dangerous - if everybody just flew up there, traps and enemies and such could knock them prone to send them crashing to the floor or their flight might get disspelled or such.
The enemies would generally be able to cling to surfaces and such, so fighting them on the ceiling is generally at a disadvantage and they'd likely all utilitize cover so that they're very hard to attack at range until you get up there (You're not exactly sure where the creatures are hiding under for AoEs and you can't target them because they're not in line of sight)

Once the players climb back to the bottom of the tower they'll notice the previous floor (now a ceiling for them) opens up into the final room. Basically the creator was tired of walking up and down all the time so made their main room right below the floor on the first room.

Kinda feels weird to have a themed tower without the entire tower having some sort of cool twist to it.

Probably be cool to have waterfalls and the like that never seem to stop running.
>>
>>53228653
I like this. I did have the idea of having the whole tower as an hourglass, it's just tricky to implement it while still having individual rooms - I think there's aspects I can incorporate. I might make one big main chamber after the first few puzzles and traps and the like.

I like the waterfalls idea, it adds a degree of flavour. Cheers anon.
>>
>>53228675
If you do it in one big chamber, you could have it so the entire room slowly rotates with some sort of hazard rolling around to the bottom, so the players have to stay on the side that's closest to becoming floor rather than the side that's starting to become a wall. And checks to avoid losing their grip on the floor in that case.
>>
>>53224239
Incredible thick spiky brush and areas where it looks like it is the forest floor, but it's just thick moss. Try to walk across? Sink 10 feet down. Loads of shit like that
>>
>>53228696
This is cool. Definitely going to work this in.

Following some thought on the big chamber idea, I think I can adapt my existing puzzles into it.

>core chamber, many stories high
>platforms here and there with doors leading off it
>solving the puzzle in each room leads to stairs or equivalent that bring them out onto a higher platform

The one difficulty is options like Spider Climb. I've blown Levitate and Fly out of the place by giving the whole an increased gravity, which reduces move speed by half and prevents flying and similar, but Spider Climb just sort of ignores all that.

Given they're unlikely to be able to do more than one person doing the climbing, is it sufficient to put some meat walls of dangerous enemies in the way so they're somewhat obliged to travel as a group, or do you think there's a better way of doing it?
>>
>>53226656
Horses must make stealth rolls to sneak, if you are exploring and trying to avoid encounters.
>>
>>53222751
It was allowed in a playtest package IIRC, but it basically has no use and probably was found to complicate the mcing rules unnecessarily.
>>
>>53226943
How does a starting character afford the 50gp diamond required to cast Chromatic Orb? Did you sell starting equipment?
>>
>>53228777

I can see it being quite powerful for Clerics. Stealing Disciple of Life seems outright better than their capstone otherwise.
>>
How do you folks deal with captured prisoners?
>>
>>53225704
Elemental Adept: Lightning.
>>
>>53228760
I'd probably do something with enemies. Again, have enemies use extensive cover so that they can't snipe them out but also have the players aware there's nasty shit up there from the sounds and them sometimes peering out (they'll stop peering out if the players start flinging stuff at them), or things like cages that the monsters will come out of if the players get near (And the players know there'll be more up there because there'll be one near the bottom)

You could also add things like switches and such at the end of the puzzle wings that allow them to make their life easier such as turning off high gravity or turning off some innate defence system that's higher up they'd have to get past.

Obviously don't go 'there's no way you can cheat this at all' but make it not so easy, either.

Though, I'm not sure why they'd design the tower this way unless it's supposed to be a 'testing challengers' tower.
>>
Why don't I see more Clerics with bows? Isn't it basically the better option for most of them?
>>
>>53228844
>Though, I'm not sure why they'd design the tower this way unless it's supposed to be a 'testing challengers' tower.

There are five towers on a separate plane called the Pillar Plane - each tower contains a Pillar, a powerful artifact in its own right that essentially serves as a pin, holding the True Plane in place, though the party aren't supposed to realise that until they've already started pulling them out.

Essentially, the island they're on is actually a pocket plane designed as a prison for some evil I haven't decided yet, and the towers are the source code that keeps it intact. They're not supposed to be invaded, but the designers felt that any hero powerful enough to conquer all five towers and pull the plane back into the real world probably has a good reason.
>>
New thread when.
>>
Thay Edition next plz
>>
New thread >>53229074
New thread >>53229074
>>
>>53221806
Moon Druid.
>>
>>53223406
>what level of combat a party of level 1's could handle
A monk and a paladin in my lvl1 were murdered by 3 big rats. The paladin had AC 19 and 12 HP.
>>
>>53224690
Deadly Encounter for that party is 6700xp. CR12 is 8400xp. You should have retreated, recruited more adventurers and come back with a stronger party.
Thread posts: 425
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.