[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/osrg/ OSR General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 107

File: Gygax was a hack.jpg (495KB, 1275x1651px) Image search: [Google]
Gygax was a hack.jpg
495KB, 1275x1651px
>Meido, 2-30 Appearing, Armor Class 4, Move 10 in Inches, variable Hit Dice, 75% In Lair, Treasure Type F
>Same as bandits in all other respects, except multiply group by 1-10 when checking for super-normal types and aligned with Law.

Refuge of burnt out /pfg/ and /5eg/ patrons.
Have my friendly reminder not to take bait.

Trove (etc.): http://pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd
Looking For Group: https://discord.gg/qaku8y9
Blogosphere: http://pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L
In-browser tools: http://pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

Prior: >>53156953

>Discussion:
What homebrew are you most proud of?
>>
I want to rewrite the list of weapons for my Other Dust game, starting by inserting the weapon stats I wrote up for a fantasy OSR game:

https://pastebin.com/LsPqV82e

Now, I don't want to change the damage scale of weapons that SWON/Other Dust already has that much since it's already pretty lethal. But some of these weapons are superior to higher Tech Level weapons in Otherr Dust. What should I do? I recorded some damage values of SWON/OD weapons:

Best Melee (TL1): 2d6, 1d8
Best Melee (TL2): N/A
Best Melee (TL3): 1d8
Best Melee (TL4): 2d8+2
Best Melee (TL5): 3d10

Best Pistol (TL2): 1d68
Best Pistol (TL3): 1d6+1
Best Pistol (TL54/5): 2d6+2

Best Long Gun (TL2): 1d10+2/1d12
Best Long Gun (TL3): 1d12+2
Best Long Gun (TL4/5): 2d8+2
>>
File: hiring monsters.png (251KB, 650x928px) Image search: [Google]
hiring monsters.png
251KB, 650x928px
>>53208494
If you don't like the scaling and you want to keep the SWN set the same, you'll have to rework.
Or weight them somehow, to-hit bonus or whatever. But that'd just be cumbersome.

I'm not sure what the d[x] is supposed to mean, or why you own a d18, but I don't see the big issue?
>>
File: WR&M.pdf (7MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
WR&M.pdf
7MB, 1x1px
>>53208456
Because B/X copied OD&D.
Thief was a late addition to Greyhawk, and Gygax didn't get a chance to "playtest" at GenCon before publishing.
Something, something, get his supplement out before Arneson's.

>>53208575
>something fairly uncomplicated
Any system anyone shills in these threads.
>and I only have D6s?
Pic related is d6 based, IIRC?
>>
>>53208592
Well, I liked the way I did primitive weapons in a fantasy game I ran and managed to keep the ranged weapons fairly balanced.

Come to think of it the scaling is pretty dumb in SWON/OD. I want to make weapons roughly as lethal and keep primitive weapons from being superior to more modern or futuristic weapons.

>>53208592
>I'm not sure what the d[x] is supposed to mean

[X] is based off the users Strength:

Bow: Bows deal an amount of damage based off your Strength:
Strength Damage
≤12 d4
13-15 d6
16-17 d8
18+ d10

The idea was to let people pay a stronk bowman if they wanted to even if more advanced weapons like crossbows and guns are being used.

>or why you own a d18

Well I did it online but I guess it should be 3d6.
>>
>>53208873
>Come to think of it the scaling is pretty dumb in SWON/OD.
A laser rifle does as much damage as a primitive musket with only a +1 to hit as a bonus, whilst a comparable projectile weapon does 2d8+2 with burst fire, and I want to buff the crap out of burst fire.
>>
>>53208575
If you can get a d20, Swords & Wizardry Whitebox is fairly simple as it requires only a d20 and d6 dice.
There's also Crimson Blades which works off purely d6 dice. Pretty sure it's in the trove.
>>
>>53208961
Seconding this. 3d6 for the d20 won't play as intended, but it will play without serious issues.
You might want to reduce bonuses though. Easy to make the changes though, S&W is available as a .doc
>>
>>53208921
I was thinking of having semi-auto do +1 to hit/damage for 3 rounds, and +2 for full-auto for 6 rounds of ammo.

I'm not sure if I want to buff damage too much. HP can get ridiculously high but at lower levels the game is already pretty lethal without easy access to pre-apoc medicine.
>>
What means b/x?
>>
File: editions of D&D graphic.png (229KB, 911x1470px) Image search: [Google]
editions of D&D graphic.png
229KB, 911x1470px
>>53209122
Moldvay/Cook Basic D&D, which consisted of two sets: Basic and eXpert.
>>
File: matoitroll.png (234KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
matoitroll.png
234KB, 480x480px
>>53209149
>>
File: 2012-12-01-13-22-10.jpg (830KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
2012-12-01-13-22-10.jpg
830KB, 3264x1836px
>>53209155
It's not in the Trove.
It would be under
>02_Supplements → 03_Magic
or
>__Inbox
if it were.
Or maybe
>03_OSR Games → Into the Odd

But again, not in there.

Probably because it's only available in print.
The author hand-bound every copy.

02_Supplements has most of his other works though.
>>
/osr/, I am sad. My group pushed game back a week. I just got back from a funeral for a guy who built his own Mad Max boat in 1955 by welding scrap iron together and used it to terrorize other boaters.

On the other hand, I'm starting a 3rd group of total noobs on Monday. I'm sad because I had to un-invite 2 nice people for being unreliable, but happy I was able to find 2 non-RPG playing replacements from my friends on 48hrs notice.

So yeah. How are you folks? What games are ya'll in at the moment?
>>
somebodies posting in LFG on discord.
>>
>>53209659
Not in any at the moment but currently learning the rules and devouring modules/blogs/supplements so that I can run a game for 2-3 players who've played newer editions for a long time and 1 complete newbie.

I'm probably gonna run a test game using B4 The Lost City and then try and make my own hexcrawl.
>>
File: Gird your loins.jpg (171KB, 900x825px) Image search: [Google]
Gird your loins.jpg
171KB, 900x825px
>>53209706
>so that I can run a game for 2-3 players who've played newer editions for a long time and 1 complete newbie.

Godspeed anon. That's all I did for 3 weeks before I ran my first game. If you come across cool articles from 2+ years ago, feel free to repost them. "Old" content needs love too.

Making a hexcrawl first might be ambitious. I haven't even bothered filling in most of the map for my games. Stuff happens as needed.
>>
>>53209731
>Making a hexcrawl first might be ambitious.
I was worried I might be biting off more than I could chew. Maybe I'll stick to trying my hand at dungeons first, then.

Thanks anon!
>>
File: Elderstone Marches Hex Map 2.png (1MB, 2626x1840px) Image search: [Google]
Elderstone Marches Hex Map 2.png
1MB, 2626x1840px
>>53209980
No problem. If you search a few threads back for "Learning Dungeon" or "Tomb of the Serpent Kings", you'll find either links to or the PDF of the dungeon I put together to "train" new players on the basics of dungeoneering. It's got stuff you can probably steal and adapt. At the very least, it might point you in the right direction.

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/03/osr-learning-dungeon.html

Worldbuilding is easy and fun and cheap. It's fun to invent kingdoms and religions and temples that the PCs will never visit and the players don't give two shits about. It's trickier to build gamable content. I recommend focusing in and asking "could this come up in the next 2 sessions?" And if not, drop it, and move on.
>>
>>53210086
Oh hey, I've totally read your dungeon and have been reading your blog! I was actually planning on running it so everybody, especially the newbie, could get their bearings.

Honestly though, I feel like it helped me as the DM more than anything, because it was just a really solid stepping stone for me to just have somebody show me the ropes of what an OSR dungeon looks like. Thanks a lot!
>>
File: Intent and OSR Design.png (196KB, 552x277px) Image search: [Google]
Intent and OSR Design.png
196KB, 552x277px
>>53210222
Cool, glad it's coming in useful.

I basically wrote it to answer all the questions I had when starting out with this game type/system/mentality. It's kind of cool that it's a double teaching tool - one side teaches the players how to live through dungeons, one side teaches the GM how to build dungeons.

What other stuff is going on in your system? What's the hook to get your PCs a) together and b) into the dungeon.

You know what I used? I cheated. I introduced the area and said (with a lot more words). "There's a reward for killing this owlbear. Your characters, for /whatever reason you want/, decide that this is a good idea. Maybe they need the money. Maybe they hate owlbears. Maybe they have a secret reason. I don't care."

And after that, never say "Your character wants to [X]" again (except for charm, fear, etc.). This is the first and last time. This is the match that lights the fuse.
>>
File: Fir Wall City.png (44KB, 1533x472px) Image search: [Google]
Fir Wall City.png
44KB, 1533x472px
Dear Fir, Walled City anon
I'm trying to edit down some of the entries in the community stocked wilderness map. There's a lot of weird things going on here they are half-mentioned. What are the slimified bodies? What precisely is the City Underground? What does it mean that the guards "...dip directly onto green slime"?
>>
File: Elderstone With Names 1.png (2MB, 1844x1589px) Image search: [Google]
Elderstone With Names 1.png
2MB, 1844x1589px
City Anon here. Current map progress. I'm not a huge fan of the formatting, but at the very least, it's a reasonably workable map.

What'd be the easiest way to do landmarks and districts on a map like this? I can do numbers + sidebar, but how do I outline districts?
>>
Is there a convenient gallery of the best of oldschool black-and-white art?
>>
>>53210846
The DCC rulebook.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (396KB, 1105x548px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
396KB, 1105x548px
>>53211394
Q.F.T.
>>
File: DCCRPG-Mullen-4.jpg (265KB, 500x637px) Image search: [Google]
DCCRPG-Mullen-4.jpg
265KB, 500x637px
>>53211394
>>53211415
agreed, Mullen does the best OSR art

although besides him one of my favorite OSR art pieces is the one Timothy Ide did for the cover of Delving Deeper
>>
>>53211545
Didn't he do the Melbonian mythos for the first deities & demigods? His art is really distinctive.
>>
>>53211731
He did. Also much of the Cthulhu mythos.
>>
>>53208739
>Thief was a late addition to Greyhawk, and Gygax didn't get a chance to "playtest" at GenCon before publishing.
It was also originally created by a different group of OD&D players - Gygax just had a rough description over the phone to base his version on.

It was still a mistake.
>>
>>53211415
>>53211545
>who is DiTerlizzi
>>
>>53209122
>>53209149

And if you see someone write B/x, that's because of the B being at the start of its word and x be in the middle of it's.
>>
>>53209659
I just DMd for friends, and I felt like this was the first time I managed to nail the OSR style. We had some pasta for dinner, a quick exposition dump for the background of the dungeon, and then I placed them in front of the front gate. They were reckless at first, then they got more tactical; one of them found a magic ring, found out the hard way it was cursed and then promptly cut of their finger to get the ring off. Then they got by some traps and monsters, got some treasure and found the hidden staircase to the next level.
>>
>>53209706
Btw, if you're playing with new players I really would encourage going against what might be your instinct to present a really intricate dungeon at first. I really wanted to do that as well, but now I ran a straightforward dungeon with just a few encounters and that lasted an entire evening. New players will have enough fun just learning the ropes of interacting with traps through inspection and experimentation, and how to narrate their combat with just initiative-, to-hit and damage rolls.
>>
>>53209980
It really is. Just the getting down the basic iteration of "what do you do" "we do this brilliant/stupid shit" "this happens, now what do you do" "we do more shit" with a new group is pretty important. When that feels routine, spice it up with some hexcrawling.
>>
File: tomb of the serpent kings.pdf (172KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
tomb of the serpent kings.pdf
172KB, 1x1px
>>53210086
Here's a PDF version of it.
>>
>>53210086
>It's trickier to build gamable content. I recommend focusing in and asking "could this come up in the next 2 sessions?" And if not, drop it, and move on.

Also, doesn't a lot of this stuff just come up by itself when you play? Like, as long as you have some basic content (town, dungeon, a general feel for the area you're in) it should be easy to extrapolate on what your players have speculated on or made up during the game. Make shit up as you need it, both in and out of session. Less work and more organic.
>>
>>53210288
>You know what I used? I cheated. I introduced the area and said (with a lot more words). "There's a reward for killing this owlbear. Your characters, for /whatever reason you want/, decide that this is a good idea. Maybe they need the money. Maybe they hate owlbears. Maybe they have a secret reason. I don't care."

I feel like this is 100% okay, because as with any game there has to be a premise. The players are free to do whatever they want given the premise, but not outside of it.
>>
>>53210702
I would probably look into some published modules and see how they did it. You know, like Vornheim.
>>
>>53213040
this looks like a good system-agnostic introductory module to RPG's
>>
>>53213063
Same. Although I'd start them in combat with the owlbear, just after the fucker's critted and covered the PCs in small pieces of the one party member who wasn't a PC.
>>
How much experience do people have with a gonzo mix of real european places and complete fantasy stuff? Like, you have the elf kingdoms next to finland, sweden and demon countries?
>>
Damn shame that the DCC rulebook is like 60$ for the silver version available at my game shop. Wouldn't mind having it just for the sweet ass descriptive texts of the monsters and magic, but that's a lot for a curiosity.
>>
What's a good source of imagery for old d&d versions of stuff like orcs, kobolds, bugbears? Obviously old monster manuals and stuff, but is there any galleries that compile this stuff?
>>
File: europe and america lotfp 1.png (161KB, 1162x1193px) Image search: [Google]
europe and america lotfp 1.png
161KB, 1162x1193px
>>53213414
Still somewhat a work in progress but this is a thing I've been working on. 1620 saw some witches tear the veil and bring magic into the world, waves of elves, halflings and dwarves and crazy shit hitting the fan from there.

It's 1640 now and the more gonzo stuff is beginning to come out or is being found out more by the powers that be. More sci-fi stuff is going to be found out and such coming up in the setting.
>>
>>53213628
Just seems like a really fun thing to do. Obv, this is going to be a eurocentric, but being able to play in an environment you're familiar with and then introduce weird stuff into it really feels like it would hit home.
>>
>>53213668
Yeah. Players are going to be going abroad plenty though. Lots of crazy shit going on in Africa, Asia, America and something going on in Antarctica even. It's going to be a blast!
>>
>>53210846
Not exactly old school but check out epic spell Wars for some gonzo 70s style stuff.
>>
>>53213697
I suppose the magic and shit would make travel easier somehow? Real world Europeans didn't travel much at all at that time.
>>
>>53213724
Not really. Sometimes it does, most of the time not. Only time will tell. It is leading to a boom in people forming secret societies/cults, and there are groups forming now to take advantage of the crazy ass situations in the world (one group is forming in Plymoth, England with intentions to go to Africa and steal lots of silver and shit for instance).
>>
Okidoki help me out /osrg/. I really wanna keep doing "steal loads of coins from monsters under the ground" adventures, but someone pointed out that that much money circulating in a feudal medieval society should really do a number on the economy.

I think fuck that, there's coins everywhere, but are there some good blog posts or other written down stuff about d&d economy? Like, I don't want to invest too much time, I just want a comfortable way to handwave why it's possible to actually liquidate all that treasure in society.

The easiest way feels like just not going super hard on the stupid early-mid medieval stuff and instead go for a late medieval early modern with early capitalism already established?
>>
>>53214264
For every 50 sp/gp (depending on system) added to the local economy, increase all costs by 1 sp/gp. Once you hit 400 sp/gp, increase by 3, 1000 5sp/gp. All cost increases decrease at a rate of 1sp/gp per two months.

On a larger scale, within one month all wares/goods/food within 1 week travel increase by 1 sp/gp for every 400 sp/gp added.

Remember, taxes are a thing and a lot of petty areas charge for pretty much anything. Enter the city? That's a charge. Any sales you make you must surrender x% to the local magistrates for taxation/fees. Want to go down that specific road? Local baron has a toll on it. Need help from the church? You need to be up to date with your 10% tithe.
>>
>>53211965
Gygax knew enough about Gary Switzer's thieves to know that his didn't resemble them.
>>
>>53212359
>>53211415
>>53211545
>not Baxa

plebs
>>
File: Thief-Abilities-1thru6.jpg (3MB, 3008x1976px) Image search: [Google]
Thief-Abilities-1thru6.jpg
3MB, 3008x1976px
>>53214751
For the curious, Gary Switzer's thieves were an older version of [pic].
At the point Gygax heard about it, they were statted as Magic-Users.
>>
https://youtu.be/5-l-OkR5yDk

>Russian Wizards wear tracksuits
How does your MU dress?
>>
Any good tables and rules for cooking and eating monsters?
>>
>>53213063
This is my favorite way to start a game.
>present situation
>how did you get here?

Nothing wrong with giving players a prompt for creative input. Otherwise they can slip into spectator mode.

>>53214264
handwave like crazy, or replace coins with portable treasure (jewelry, art, pimp chalices, etc). Realistically modeled inflation is rarely a fun addition to an adventure game.

If I was going to include that, I'd probably just make it a random event that pops up after they dump a bunch of coin into the economy. Boomtown economics.
>the price of fancy hats and ten foot poles has risen 10,000%

And there's no reason your world has to resemble medieval europe. Perhaps the coins of whatever ancient empire used to run the place are still common enough to be used as currency for major purchases (with common people more likely to get by on barter and gift economies).
>>
>Very OSR related
http://pages.suddenlink.net/therivercampaign/
>>
>>53215248
This has been debated before but this basically boils down to needing dozens of tables to cover broadly similar (goblinoids) and specific weird (beholders, vampires, etc.) creatures.
>>
>>53215463
>Nothing wrong with giving players a prompt for creative input. Otherwise they can slip into spectator mode.

Yeah that's a good note, player's tend to get anxious when they don't hear their own voice
>>
File: known_world_mountain.png (52KB, 400x333px) Image search: [Google]
known_world_mountain.png
52KB, 400x333px
> /osrg/ shills B/X
> B/X has the worst maps

judges guild > tolkien > WOG > outdoor survival >>> B/X "Known World"

do we need to have a discussion about this anons?
>>
>>53216146
We all know Judges Guild a best.
>>
>>53216146
I was incredibly upset until I saw outdoor survival, although if by WOG you mean greyhawk then no.

and outdoor survival > tolkien > judges guild normally, but I'll give judges guild the number two slot because they have hexes.

the wilderlands boxed set is the best 3e product I own, but I still prefer my outdoor survival map for style.
>>
I need inspiration for my first campaign, what kind of weird shit should I add to my game?
>>
>>53216866
A giant underground megadungeon church. The actual followers of the church are dead and have become automatons that keep building the church underground.

The older parts of the church are hazardous, collapsing, and are filled with various squatting monsters (kobold gangs, rust monsters eating at a giant pipe organ, various unnaground cults).

The church's goal is to find the Holy Grail, and they're getting close to it.
>>
File: jg.jpg (20KB, 300x233px) Image search: [Google]
jg.jpg
20KB, 300x233px
>>53216146
>>53216280
> We all know Judges Guild a best.
- larger hexes
- open space for notes and additions
- each hex numbered for when you want to add paragraphs or pages of detail
- hex number is written directly on the hex so you don't have to find the row and column

>>53216866
"Invasion of the Doppelgangers"
>>
File: Water Elementals.gif (972KB, 500x231px) Image search: [Google]
Water Elementals.gif
972KB, 500x231px
>>53216866
Every stone, fire, lighting bolt, cloud, raindrop, mountain, snowflake, grain of sand, and glacier is an elemental.

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/03/osr-what-does-elemental-want.html
>>
File: Vornheim Map.png (1MB, 1265x1272px) Image search: [Google]
Vornheim Map.png
1MB, 1265x1272px
>>53213085
Thanks!

>>53213068
>You know, like Vornheim.
Eeeeh.... not that helpful...
>>
>>53216866
>what kind of weird shit should I add
Don't. Don't set out to make weird shit.

When you aim, you miss.
It's fine to have weird shit, but aiming for it kills cohesion.
>>
File: greyhawk-map-r.jpg (1MB, 1231x1898px) Image search: [Google]
greyhawk-map-r.jpg
1MB, 1231x1898px
>>53216146
Darlene's Greyhawk maps do a great job balancing hexes with Tolkienesque cartography.
>>
>>53217303
>>53213068
>>53210702

Here's the first bit of generating a city using the (very neat) Corpathium city generator. Next step is a fine-detail pass with Vornheim and other online generators.

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/05/osr-building-city-first-section.html

Featuring: lots of high quality medieval art, historical verisimilitude, and some low-level weirdness.
>>
>>53215654
I just found what to do with my days off!
>>
>>53217409
>>53216866
This. If you purposefully set out to be weird you'll end up with shallow randumbness. Doubly so if it's your first campaign.
>>
File: 1492400136870.jpg (29KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1492400136870.jpg
29KB, 500x500px
>>53215248
> Any good tables and rules for cooking and eating monsters?
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/03/osr-dungeon-meat.html
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/03/some-other-classic-snacks.html

These are pretty quick to make, but you need to make a new table for each type of monster.
>>
File: Campaign Worksheet.pdf (515KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Campaign Worksheet.pdf
515KB, 1x1px
>>53216866
I'm going to shill Beyond The Wall/Further Afield's method of campaign map/world building. Get together with your group, talk about tone, a few things you want to work with, things you for sure don't, then use this. Gives everyone something to grab onto, seems to have more relevance to the players, and they come up with stuff I wouldn't have thought of to riff on.

>>53210702
I made a few corpathium cities too. Did it with paper and pencil, I'll see if I can take decent pics and pop them up.

I did the dice drop on an opposite page and then sketched out the city with the drop-diagram for reference. After that I just wrote the name around the site and crammed short bits from the specific tables and other ideas I had along the side. It looks about how I wanted it to, but if I were doing it again, I'd put a name/number on the finished map and the details/notes on the page with the drop-diagram.
>>
File: mymap2.png (879KB, 2380x1943px) Image search: [Google]
mymap2.png
879KB, 2380x1943px
Is this too granular for a 6 mile hex map? Not finished with the right side ofc
>>
>>53218331
Looks fine to me. I've been running a 3-mile hex map and yours looks like it'd:

A: function fine
B: please players aesthetically

Not sure about how a proper cartographer would feel about it, but it looks good.
>>
File: paradox.png (201KB, 882x365px) Image search: [Google]
paradox.png
201KB, 882x365px
>>53218331
right lake can't be endorheic because left lake would then have two outlets

right can't be source, since outlet would they flow up into mountains
>>
File: 1299422348874.jpg (3MB, 2861x3917px) Image search: [Google]
1299422348874.jpg
3MB, 2861x3917px
>>53218046
>I'm going to shill Beyond The Wall/Further Afield's method of campaign map/world building. Get together with your group, talk about tone, a few things you want to work with, things you for sure don't, then use this. Gives everyone something to grab onto, seems to have more relevance to the players, and they come up with stuff I wouldn't have thought of to riff on.

This is super useful for experienced players and an utter disaster with completely new players (especially people without video game experience). But if your group knows what the want, it's ideal. If not, you've got to be a shepherd, not a goatherd.

>I made a few corpathium cities too

It's fun, isn't it?

The plan is to do one pass with Corpathium, then a second pass with Vornheim.
>>
>>53218731
what program you use?
>>
>>53218731
> because left lake would then have two outlets
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifurcation_lake
>>
File: 1483253572680.jpg (612KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1483253572680.jpg
612KB, 1024x1536px
I've been running 5e "Lost Mines of Phandelver" using a homebrew of LotFP and while its fun and all, I hate how much precedence combat takes. Combat has always been my least favorite aspect of tabletop rpgs. What are some good modules I can dump into the world for my players to come across that are solid tests of their wits and skill and not just murderhobo fodder?
>>
>>53219240
I ran the Maze of Nuromen recently and it turned out pretty well. It could be your thing.
>>
>>53219240
Homebrew the combat rules to simplify them?
>What are some good modules [...] that are [...] not just murderhobo fodder?
You can avoid almost every fight in Maze of the Blue Medusa.
You can't avoid the obnoxiously bad art though.
>>
File: 41yRVrnlNWL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (27KB, 252x331px) Image search: [Google]
41yRVrnlNWL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
27KB, 252x331px
>>53219240
This might help.
>>
>>53219240
Are you doing reaction rolls for encounters? Not everything is going to want to fight. Also if the players are immediately resorting to murder you might be going too easy on them.

I found this list useful for things/problems to throw at players so they have to use their brains.
>http://goblinpunch.blogspot.ca/2016/03/1d135-osr-style-challenges.html
>>
File: 1484209017275.jpg (901KB, 1000x637px) Image search: [Google]
1484209017275.jpg
901KB, 1000x637px
>>53219510
It's almost irrelevant because they always initiate it. I've actually straight up omitted fights listed because I didn't feel like slogging through another 15 minutes of non-creative, repetitive "I guess I attack with my axe again" shit. Modern D&D modules emphasize combat so much. While I want them to play however they want, it just seems like they resort to wanting to kill everything. That's fine if that's the type of game you wanna run, but I want more sessions where they're faced with explicitly non combat challenges. Tower of the Stargazer was a good example of one such module.
>>
File: 1491117401222.jpg (268KB, 1000x629px) Image search: [Google]
1491117401222.jpg
268KB, 1000x629px
>>53219627
So... talk to them about this? Discuss "Hey guys, we're seeing a lot of combat, and it doesn't seem to be that interesting for anyone. Want to try changing it up a bit?"
>>
>>53219681
>someone on /tg/ having a polite and logical discussion with their group about a problem
You should realize by now, given how often this advice comes up, that this isn't going to happen.
>>
>>53219876
>>53219681

I have tho. I'm not going to tell them how to play, but i've told them a billion times that combat isn't the answer to everything.
>>
>>53218331
Two things:

One, I agree with Anon: >>53218731. The right lake would probably be best off as an evaporation lake fed by rain, thus explaining the extensive swampy margins.

Two, it's not necessarily "too granular", but you should realize just for reference that at six miles/hex, nearly the entire Czech Republic (medieval Bohemia if you prefer a period reference) fits into that forest.
>>
>>53219627
Easiest thing to do there is have things that will kick their ass if they pick a fight without thinking. If you're doing 5e another problem could be hp bloat. Sounds like they want you to be their positive reinforcement loop combat engine though. Might have to sort that out.
>>
>>53219240
Combat should always feel like a risky proposition. Really make it hurt when the monsters attack back.
>>
>>53219951
>nearly the entire Czech Republic ... fits into that forest

All the better to adventure in.
>>
File: original_content.png (322KB, 2501x2801px) Image search: [Google]
original_content.png
322KB, 2501x2801px
>>53219240
> upset players fight instead of entering magical realm
don't award XP for killing monsters. Also >>53220226
>>
File: Elderstone Map v 2.png (3MB, 2249x1591px) Image search: [Google]
Elderstone Map v 2.png
3MB, 2249x1591px
>>53218773
>>53210702
>>53213068
>>53217687

And here's version 2 of the map. Street names and landmarks are going in now.
>>
File: born to feel.jpg (180KB, 1203x1447px) Image search: [Google]
born to feel.jpg
180KB, 1203x1447px
>tfw you shift between like 4 different hobbies and OSR is one of them and you keep abandoning it and then coming back but you never actually end up doing anything because you keep changing your mind constantly instead

So what have you worked on today, /osrg/?
>>
File: gale.png (233KB, 590x338px) Image search: [Google]
gale.png
233KB, 590x338px
>>53220574
>So what have you worked on today, /osrg/?

I used the Wilderness Survival Guide to roll up some weather for the next few weeks in the campaign.

They're going to get out of a dungeon into a gale. Joy.
>>
>>53220627
Ooh!

Is it a normal gale? A magic gale? A wind elemental who just got out of a relationship? An omen?

>>53220574
>>tfw you shift between like 4 different hobbies and OSR is one of them and you keep abandoning it and then coming back but you never actually end up doing anything because you keep changing your mind constantly instead

Having 2, soon to be 3 groups sharpens the mind wonderfully. I've been working like mad. I've finished the bones of the city here:>>53220460

And now I'm just Vornheiming it for detail.
>>
>>53220574
I'm working on a blog post I'll preview here:

Vampire-bone weapons are crafted from the bones of a vampire. Because of the shape and mass these are usually limited to stillettoes (as daggers but piercing), speartips, arrowheads, and darts but if the GM wants to go crazy it might be possible to make a battleaxe’s head out of a vampire’s pelvis or a katana’s blade out of a vampire’s shin. All vampire-bone weapons are considered +1 magic weapons, although the actual damage done has a -1 modifier (even with magic, bones aren’t that great of a material for weapons): Thus a vampire-bone spear has +1 to hit but deals 1d6-1 damage. The damage dealt by a vampire-bone weapon to a living creature cannot heal naturally (even regeneration won’t work). On a natural 1 or 2 of a to-hit roll, the weapon loses all magical properties and becomes mundane bone weapon.
>>
>>53220711
>Is it a normal gale? A magic gale? A wind elemental who just got out of a relationship? An omen?

Well, the dungeon in question was the Village of Hommlet gatehouse, with the cult refluffed into that of an evil ice demon that's keeping winter going longer than it should.

So... yeah. He's going to be mad when Lareth dies. Wind's gonna blow. Pretty fucking appropriate actually.
>>
File: Corpathium Combined 2.jpg (521KB, 1436x2251px) Image search: [Google]
Corpathium Combined 2.jpg
521KB, 1436x2251px
>>53220460
That looks dope.

Here's what I ended up doing. If I'd been thinking about it I would have put the notes on the top part, more space to write. I added a lighthouse and some woods, stuck it in a canyon because I was thinking of fjords. I ended up swapping the aviary and the blood palace, it just make more sense that way.

Sorry about the shit photo, I got decent close ups if anyone wants.
>>
File: 686.jpg (460KB, 1350x971px) Image search: [Google]
686.jpg
460KB, 1350x971px
>>53220729
Spitballing ideas:

What happens if you stab a particularly evil mortal in the heart with a vampire bone, and they don't want to die?

They rise as a twin-souled vampire, of course. Nobody knows this. There usually aren't any survivors.

Better hope you've got good running shoes.
>>
File: jakub-rebelka-thiefs.jpg (346KB, 1298x790px) Image search: [Google]
jakub-rebelka-thiefs.jpg
346KB, 1298x790px
>>53220785
>Sorry about the shit photo, I got decent close ups if anyone wants.
No worries! That's pretty neat. I wish I had art skills and/or stead hands.
>>
>>53220574
One of my players is interested in learning how to gm. We figured it would be interesting and how they want to learn, to make a dungeon together and run everyone through it as a '1000 years before our era' interlude. Probably find a way to return there in the current game some time too cribbing from Thulian Echoes.
>>
>>53220785
Kinda dig the perspective on that illustration
>>
File: mymap.png (3MB, 3440x2622px) Image search: [Google]
mymap.png
3MB, 3440x2622px
>>53220574

This incredibly goofy map and an adventure site that's basically Name of the Rose + Werewolves, Jayquayed all to hell with NPC/Concept maps.
>>
>>53220627
>Wilderness Survival Guide

Tell me more. I need a decent weather generating system for my games since I break everything up in watches and roll for random encounters/location discoveries beforehand.
>>
>>53208406

>OD&D Stocked Wilderness Map - Two Pages - Draft 0.1
I'm not the Anon who compiled the posts for the OD&D stocked wilderness map into a PDF before, someone else did that. I took a hatchet to it and crammed it into two pages. I did some heavy editing, and took some creative liberties to force it to fit. I made it in Word so it's still not stellar.
>>
>>53220574

Thinking of writing an appendix to my book, a sort of a LotR-esque thing about gods and months and races and shit.
>>
File: Corpathium Map 2.jpg (583KB, 2034x1425px) Image search: [Google]
Corpathium Map 2.jpg
583KB, 2034x1425px
>>53220816
I can't draw people for shit, but I'm okay at things. It takes a bit, the early maps I did are not so good.

What program are you using for Elderstone? The woodcut vibe is really cool.

>>53220874
Here. It doesn't make much sense as a city, but I put the plauge towers and imagine an enormous graveyard keeping things dead/secure on the one side, and a forest full of beastmen on the other side that make it hard to walk an army up to the canyon and drop burning and/or heavy shit into the place.
>>
File: Wilderness_Survival_Guide.png (92KB, 180x240px) Image search: [Google]
Wilderness_Survival_Guide.png
92KB, 180x240px
>>53220954
The main idea of WSG's system is that you have this minimum and maximum temperature, based on the season and altitude and enviroment, and you roll for each day to see how it goes. You may'be had "slightly cold" today, but tomorrow it bumps two steps down into "really rather chilly to be honest". Then on top of that you add chance of rain, wind, and special weather.

Honestly I don't know whether it'd be "decent" for your purposes, because it gets rather overly complex and most of the stuff you roll up on it is almost certainly not going to come up. But I've got plenty of free time and it tickles my autistic fancy so I'm using it anyway.

The book should be in the trove.
>>
File: JuYtXZs.gif (5MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
JuYtXZs.gif
5MB, 400x225px
>>53220973
Oh foo, my random encounter table got cut.

>>53220991
What program are you using for Elderstone?

The program is called "I stole a map of medieval london and mashed it about using photoshop, paint, word, powerpoint, and I'm pretty sure, at this rate, notepad."
>>
>>53221093
>I stole a map of medieval london and mashed it about using photoshop, paint, word, powerpoint, and I'm pretty sure, at this rate, notepad.
I think you accidentally made a zine.

>>53220923
Name of the Rose + Werewolves sounds awesome. Some of the names on your map are right in that sweet spot of melodramatic-but-works. I'd be interested in the hex key/encounters when you're done.
>>
>>53221093
It wasn't in the last version of the pdf by the other anon either. Speaking of tables! I can actually cut space by arranging like-sized results on the Phoenix Plant encounter table across from each other. I'm going to try to take more axe to it to change up the typeface and weight.
>>
File: collaborative tg map.pdf (627KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
collaborative tg map.pdf
627KB, 1x1px
>>53220973
I don't like it. Just because something can be cut to fit into 2 pages and 2 columns doesn't mean it should be.

I don't understand the ADD in these threads.
>>
File: tJLtPaf.gif (7MB, 450x352px) Image search: [Google]
tJLtPaf.gif
7MB, 450x352px
>>53221166
>I think you accidentally made a zine.

>Looks around
>Spots leather chair, pipe, plaid shirt, cats, downtown apartment

AWWW FUCK I'M A HIPSTER

Time to drink myself to death. OH WAIT. All I have is Hendricks, decent scotch, and obscure liqueurs. FUCK.
>>
File: 188modronsditerlizzi[1].jpg (116KB, 608x800px) Image search: [Google]
188modronsditerlizzi[1].jpg
116KB, 608x800px
>>53220574
Working on a weird, modular dungeon about a Hellrasier-esque puzzle cube that opens up rifts to a Modron Prison sub-dimension, complete with randomized prison-gang factions.
>>
>>53221197
I understand. I cropped my photos because I got embarrassed about how skinny my pants are. OSR is sort of like that. We play variations on old games because they're better/authentic, enjoy emergent procedural narrative building, outsider art of monsters and dice other gamers have never even heard of.
>>
>>53220574
Preparing to run DCC for the first time.
>>
File: Hexographer.jpg (67KB, 402x632px) Image search: [Google]
Hexographer.jpg
67KB, 402x632px
>>53218809
>>
>>53221166
I've finished a lot of the location keys for hexes that players have already traveled through. I need to read a bit more pulp to find some inspiration for creating gameable content. Most of the names I created using tables from a DW supplement.

https://www.scribd.com/document/340329600/DungeonWorld-Perilous-Wilds-pdf

As for the hex keys themselves, I've got a few interesting sites, a poisonous miasma that hangs over an undead army, a floating library, great monoliths that serve as arcane spell scrolls & the dreaming kingdom of a sleeping sorceress queen.
>>
>>53221231
oh god, why does that thing look like its about to start singing?
>>
>>53221342
Because Modrons are borderline body-horror when you get into the higher echelons?
>>
>>53221182
I did do another version that fits squarely on three pages. It has much of the same cleaned up the text to make it clearly readable (since some of the entries had some broken English and disjointed thoughts) and making sure the order of information for each location is in a logical order, but without making so many harsh cuts. Attached it for those interested.

>OD&D Stocked Wilderness Map - Three Pages - Draft 0.1
>>
>>53221342
Reminder that Modrons hate jazz.
>>
File: DCC_RPG_LeatherBound.jpg (325KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
DCC_RPG_LeatherBound.jpg
325KB, 960x1280px
Finally got my hands on a copy of my DCC book I ordered last year (It actually arrived three months ago but I was in boot camp), its pretty fucking awesome looking.
>>
File: lady_beholder_by_thedjib.jpg (187KB, 830x700px) Image search: [Google]
lady_beholder_by_thedjib.jpg
187KB, 830x700px
>>53221448
>Reminder that Modrons hate jazz.

But that modron looks like it loves jizz.
>>
>>53221308
Neat. I've been meaning to look at perilous wilds. Thanks.

>>53221342
Kind of want Mechanus: The Musical now.
>>
>>53221455
I mean, fuck. That does look pretty fucking good!
>>
>>53221197
Why does the zoom in on that gif look so special? Is it that they're not zooming with the lense and just zooming into the film?
>>
>>53221436
First page looks way fucking better now anon, nice work.
>>
>>53219240
>>53220226
>>53220267
> DM: The room is 30' by 40'. Carpeted, with
> tapestries and bookshelves. At a desk a
> man in a pointy hat and robe looks up and
> cocks his eyebrow. He blows a smoke ring,
> and then blows a smaller smoke ring through
> that smoke ring.
>
> Caller: A magic user!
>
> Fighter: I fire my +1 crossbow.
>
> Caller: Wait, he might be high level. What
> level is he?
>
> DM: He doesn't have a number written on him
> anywhere but he sure does have a lot of books.
> I guess you could ask him.
>
> Caller: I demand that he tell us what level
> he is.
>
> DM: He says he is an arch-mage and does
> not take kindly to interruption.
>
> Cleric: I cast "Detect Lie".
>
> DM: He is lying.
>
> Caller: Good thinking, Cleric! We attack.
>
> DM: You're all dead.
>
> Caller: What happened?
>
> DM: The arch-mage cast a time stop spell
> and slit your throats.
>
> Cleric: But he was lying?
>
> DM: Yes, he is actually an ultra-arch-mage,
> and would be able to cast 10th level spells
> if any existed.
>>
To ease new players into selecting good combinations of equipment for their rolled up characters I was thinking of making some pre-prepared package "modules".

Basically just combining 2-3 items, and then labeling them accordingly to what they do, and then presenting a page of those to the players. That way they can probably get some ideas for what the equipment offers them in the dungeon, and also combines a quick character generation with a way to customize a character somewhat.
>>
>>53221553
>just zooming into the film
Pretty sure it wouldn't be as high quality of an image if they did.
>>
>>53221590
Now you're thinking with OSR
fuckin god damn captchas are getting more and more annoying
>>
>>53221436
>make it clearly readable
>"If it is meets"

Really now.

>>53221590
Garbage.
>>
File: random_weather.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
random_weather.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>53220954
The WSG weather generator seems ok. Does anyone know of better?
>>
>>53221708
Good catch. It is draft 0.1, so if anyone finds other mistakes like that one point 'em, out and I'll add it to the to-do list.
>>
I'm currently in the process of running my first OSR game with OD&D. We're using White Box S&W, whose rulebook does not contain guidelines and tips for creating a map. Are there any good resources that go through the basics for a newbie?

I was also wondering what tools you guys used to make those retro blue and white maps and if they were easily displayed on a program like R20.
>>
>>53221812
>guidelines and tips for creating a map
AD&D 1e DMG Appendices.
>>
>>53221812
By "map", do you mean for a dungeon, or for a hexcrawl?
>>
>>53221894
A dungeon.
>>
>>53221812
>I was also wondering what tools you guys used to make those retro blue and white maps
This supports it: https://campaignwiki.org/gridmapper.svg
>>
>>53221669
Choose old-style captchas in the settings.
>>
>>53221812
>>53220433
photoshop
>>
File: The Whizzard's Lair.jpg (88KB, 313x290px) Image search: [Google]
The Whizzard's Lair.jpg
88KB, 313x290px
>>53221812
https://tsojcanth.wordpress.com/2016/08/03/how-i-hexcrawl/
>>
File: mymap.png (757KB, 1632x1407px) Image search: [Google]
mymap.png
757KB, 1632x1407px
>>53218331
>>
File: map.png (5MB, 6213x4598px) Image search: [Google]
map.png
5MB, 6213x4598px
>>53218731
>>53219951
Map wizards, I beg of you, please point out the worst parts of my bizarre map. 3 mile hexes.
>>
>>53222654
>3 mile hexes

Why, there we go already.
>>
File: fear.jpg (34KB, 524x336px) Image search: [Google]
fear.jpg
34KB, 524x336px
>>53215021
Christ, that's way too complicated. Borderline unusable.
>>
>>53222654
Something something rain shadow.
Also the 9 mile diameter oasis.
>>
File: autumn.png (35KB, 227x176px) Image search: [Google]
autumn.png
35KB, 227x176px
>>53222654
>>>53215021
Is this terrain autumn broadleaf forest/
>>
>>53222789
Yeah, it's just weird elven / fey forests that are trapped in Autumn by the Summer Court.
>>
File: MU-Abilities-1thru6.png (4MB, 2235x3859px) Image search: [Google]
MU-Abilities-1thru6.png
4MB, 2235x3859px
>>53222681
Ahura Mazda, this is way too complicated. Borderline unusable.
>>
>>53223050
>>53223019
>Image resolution is the same
>File size gone up by 25%
why
>>
>>53223019
>magic user gets one spell
>clear description
>steady advancement
>no encroaching powers
>never has to roll for it
>"borderline unusable"
>>
File: Thievish Advancement.jpg (28KB, 472x391px) Image search: [Google]
Thievish Advancement.jpg
28KB, 472x391px
>>53223072
Detect Magic and half of Floating Disc were missing.
I hit Print Screen before Adobe Reader rendered them.

>>53223078
Yeah, but >>53215021 works exactly like an MU.
They got to reuse abilities all day, but the author thought MUs reused spell, too.
That supplement gives Thieves their own table, but originally they used the MU advancement.
>>
>>53223207
In that case it's unusable because it fundamentally misunderstands D&D rules and balance.
>>
>>53223207
At this point in the game, magic users may very well have been able to reuse their spells all day.
>>
i saw somewhere i while ago a guy who used the battle of wesnoth editor to make hexcrawl maps.
>>
>>53223292
I honestly doubt anyone outside of TSR (and adjacent game stores) knew how spells worked until Holmes came out.
>>
File: tyrone laughing for almost.jpg (43KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tyrone laughing for almost.jpg
43KB, 1280x720px
>>53223292
>and balance.
>>
File: 4 jinetes Giacobino.jpg (506KB, 1000x596px) Image search: [Google]
4 jinetes Giacobino.jpg
506KB, 1000x596px
So I should be writing more random encounter tables for my setting, or designing a /new/ Learning Dungeon for my Monday game, but instead, I'm writing an article on The Plague in OSR games.

Not diseases. Those are pretty well covered. But the effects of The Plague haven't been dealt. I've already done The War. The Plague seems like an important next step, presumably to be followed by The Failing Church, if we're covering the 3 main scourges of the middle ages.

https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/05/osr-dont-you-know-theres-war-on.html
>>
Any of you goyim use OSR systems for high fantasy? What tweaks do you make to the game to help it accomplish the tone change?
>>
>>53223981

The magic is probably the biggest one. This is bias, but I think the vancian magic systems is great but only for OSR.

The preparation and limited-resource nature of OSR gaming works hand in hand with a preparation based spell system, but for high fantasy you'd be much better off using something with mana, or with more fluid ways to create spells and effects on the fly like Ars Magica.
>>
>>53223867
Don't forget to sleep, Skerples.
>>
>>53221616
Probably been done before, do some searching. Post a PDF if you make a good one though, interesting concept.
>>
File: 1292880922517.gif (3MB, 410x358px) Image search: [Google]
1292880922517.gif
3MB, 410x358px
>>53224105
I'll sleep when I'm dead!

Which, given the lack of sleep, might be Tuesday.
>>
>>53221019
>But I've got plenty of free time and it tickles my autistic fancy so I'm using it anyway
Story of my gaming life
>>
Question for those familiar with Machinations of the Space Princess?

Do you need to take the adaptable trait to be humanoid, or can you be humanoid and not have it at all?
>>
File: 90495b6be680f6ce21286d4677386af5.jpg (916KB, 3278x2165px) Image search: [Google]
90495b6be680f6ce21286d4677386af5.jpg
916KB, 3278x2165px
>>53221170
>>53221182

Anyone got other ideas for stuff that could be stored in an ancient phoenix-instead-of-nuclear power plant?

This diagram is going to be the basis of the dungeon map.
>>
>>53224833
Basalt golems. Huge, ungainly, vaguely shaped like a 200-ft tall flower petal, designed to contain any phoenixes that overload. They're immune to all fire.
>>
>>53225018
Thanks.

What animals are traditionally resistant to heat and steam?
>>
>>53224833
A bomb that can level cities, made from Phoenix eggshells and ashes.
Faulty scrying equipment.
An entire library about Phoenix mating rituals. Plus valuable Phoenix porn.
The ruins of an actual nuclear power plant, from a more civilized age.
Horders of heron, originally intended for phoenix-crossbreeding.
>>
File: 1493868061409.jpg (834KB, 1920x2715px) Image search: [Google]
1493868061409.jpg
834KB, 1920x2715px
>>53225102
>What animals are traditionally resistant to heat and steam?

Oh right, derp. Vampires. The builders used vampire slaves as supervisors to run their power plant.
>>
>>53224833
You know, just large sturdy containers would be pretty valuable even if mundane. 100 gallon stainless steel drum or really long copper pipes would probably be a pretty good get for adventures. Imagine what they could do with even bigger pieces or another magical-industrial equipment.
A "sustainer" type object that increases the duration of spells, namely Light.
Coolant rods.
Schematics for an elevator.
The facility is likely to have several alarm systems of various makes.
Security room with non-leathal weapons/tools.
Journals of bored plant operators yammering about office gossip and melodrama.
>>
File: 1381039573650.jpg (101KB, 550x730px) Image search: [Google]
1381039573650.jpg
101KB, 550x730px
>>53225188
>>53224833

Ok, basic dungeon structure:

-Wilderness
-Modern-ish wooden bathhouse built on top of
-Ancient roman-like stone bathhouse built on top of
-Cooling tower of primordial phoenix power plant with pipes that lead all over the place including to
-Reactors 1, 2, 4 (3 exploded)
-Turbine hall
-Golem halls
-Cistern
-Caves!
And full of
-Scald zombies
-Vampire overseers (safety protocols activated and overcome)
-Golems
-Bath cultists
-Bottled lightning elementals
Treasures
-Barrels
-Metal ingots
-Trapped phoenix (the "retire to safety" prize)
-Weird tools
-Vampire shackles
-Towels

Materials
-Damp wood to old quarried stone to primordial basalt and treated wood. Not a lot of metal.

Themes
-Not Understanding the Past
-Everything Floods
-Mundane Treasures
Sound good?
>>
File: 90 minutes in MS Paint.png (821KB, 2080x1972px) Image search: [Google]
90 minutes in MS Paint.png
821KB, 2080x1972px
>>53222681
I stripped out the redundant and most of the obvious ones.
Is this enough to appease your autism?
>>
>>53226185
>1:44:34
>7:59:26

That seems longer than 90 minutes
>>
>>53226208
I did other things.
>>
>>53226185
These are, by far, the least fun rules I've seen for thieves.

Hooray.

Thanks for editing them down, anon.
>>
>>53226487
It's essentially a more autistic version of the LotFP specialist everyone seems to love for some reason.
Replace gaining new abilities at level up with finding them in the dungeon (like a MU) and it could be fun.

Also has funny implications, like a Cleric referencing a scroll of Detect Noise (+1/2) while their ear is to a door.
>>
>>53226487
I love UA's Barbarian
>>
Which system/book has your favorite statblock for vampires?
>>
>>53226808
Just stat them as Ghouls, possibly (probably not) with class levels.
>>
>>53226808
Vampire: the Masquerade
>>
File: tms.gif (553KB, 486x263px) Image search: [Google]
tms.gif
553KB, 486x263px
>>53226871
>>53226923
>>
>>53219376
That won't help anything
>>
>>53226185
Why the fuck have separate"skills" for stuff like use sleeping drugs, climb rope, tie up with ropes etc.? Some perople are truly autistic and unable to make sensible game design.

That's pure shit.
>>
File: 1484967320663.pdf (1MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1484967320663.pdf
1MB, 1x1px
>>53227397
That's from the 70's.
>That's pure shit.
These days, it's fermented shit.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (403KB, 2041x1321px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
403KB, 2041x1321px
>>53227397
>>53227497
>>
File: XU3U2W5.gif (2MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
XU3U2W5.gif
2MB, 320x320px
>>53227529
I'm drunk, and I'm strongly considering giving my players one (random) skill off that list that they auto-succeed at.

"You, Thief. You are the best at Sleep Drugs. And you, Assassin. You... can manipulate objects with your feet."
>>
>>53224443
Any help here?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (258KB, 1021x1320px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
258KB, 1021x1320px
>>53227539
"You, Fighter. Can pickup weapons."

>>53227674
Not a fan of MotSP's race builder, too many decisions.
Humanoid (Species) has Adaptable stapled onto it; but you can fluff your dude however.
If you didn't realize that in 5½ hours, there may be no helping you.
>>
>>53227795
>"You, Fighter. Can pickup weapons."

Laugh away, buster. I know I guy who took that skill and ended up King of England.
>>
>>53227822
Dudes gonna' come back from Albion and be REEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLy salty about the Saxons killing of the Celts.
>>
File: Celts.png (17KB, 1486x164px) Image search: [Google]
Celts.png
17KB, 1486x164px
>>53227868
I'm sure he'll be fine.
>>
>>53224833
Vodka, tinned rations, wands and staves of fireball or firedart or something because of course you'd use a phoenix power plant to recharge them.

Also magic ice, possibly cone of cold items or something, used as coolant for systems.
>>
SPELL

https://9and30kingdoms.blogspot.co.nz/2017/05/materialistic-spell-points.html

BALLS

https://9and30kingdoms.blogspot.co.nz/2017/05/the-materialism-of-materialistic-spell.html

although they're generic and not tied to any particular spell, or even level. I'm also not sure that optional rule is what the author meant, but hey.

spell balls
>>
File: class blood of satan.png (802KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
class blood of satan.png
802KB, 1920x1080px
nobody asked for this
>>
>>53227539
i can't wait for assassins footjobs
>>
>>53226185
I know you're just having a giggle, but I'd honestly like to know how having more rules for every little thing is somehow less autistic than wanting a simpler and actually playable system.
>>
File: shit.jpg (156KB, 570x867px) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
156KB, 570x867px
>>53226978
>>
File: InterestingBook.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
InterestingBook.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
>>53208406
Does anybody know what the hell this is? I picked it up from one of the PDF share threads like a year ago and I have no clue what it is. Can anyone here shed some light on this?
>>
>>53229646
It's a punkzine called Broken System made by this dude: https://antlerrr.blogspot.com/

https://www.videogamegeek.com/rpgissue/188544/broken-system-issue-0-nov-2015

Neat find!
>>
>>53229670
Thanks anon!
>>
>>53229646
>Broken System
I love this thing, it's one of the reasons I play osr. Yes I actually used this at the table.
Actually pestered the dude to do more issues and had a very unconvincing 'maybe' reply :(
>>
>>53229646
It seems to be missing a few pages compared to the one on DrivethruRPG.
>>
>>53229646
That looks awesome but goddamn is it hard to parse it.
>>
File: zdzis_aw_beksi_ski_102.jpg (34KB, 409x550px) Image search: [Google]
zdzis_aw_beksi_ski_102.jpg
34KB, 409x550px
>>53229646
Not sure I "get" stuff like this. Same goes for Vornheim, Maze of the Blue Medusa, Deep Carbon Observatory.

I dig the style of these books, but it seems like they wouldn't be as fun to play as they are to read.
>>
>>53231475
Agreed.
>>
File: raggi_speaks.png (166KB, 2392x784px) Image search: [Google]
raggi_speaks.png
166KB, 2392x784px
>>53231475
>>
>>53226208
>Is this enough to appease your autism?
>complains about post times
poetry
>>
>>53231475
I use parts of them. The ghouls from Broken System, the table for Cages. I think the knives and helmets are easy to plug in where you want. Fog-Kingdom seems like it needs elaboration, but that's fine. Zines especially aren't modules, they're inspirational, for cutting apart and taking as you see fit. You can run Maze as is out of the book, but I wouldn't. Same for Vornheim. DCO might work basically as is, its much more straight forward.

Some of it is the different reasons for interest in osr too. Some people like it more for attack matrices, different save types, 1% differences to get gribbly about. Some people like it more for weirdness/diy procedural generation, etc. There's a good screencap from a bit back that outlines a lot of the different rough groups of osr. They're going to like different things about art too, its a broad umbrella.
>>
>>53231899
>There's a good screencap from a bit back that outlines a lot of the different rough groups of osr.

Does anyone have this?

I think my problem is that a lot of this stuff doesn't seem gameable. Instead of 1d6 goblins readying their daggers (1d4 damage), you have 1d4 ennui beasts who attack with despair instead of dealing damage. Even with a lot of imagination I don't see how it would play out at the table, despite being a lot of fun to read and think about.
>>
File: dungeon robber.png (373KB, 1005x602px) Image search: [Google]
dungeon robber.png
373KB, 1005x602px
Posted about this game here a couple weeks ago, finally got done with it. Once +1 shields were unlocked, the whole game became trivial as a fighter because between HP stacking with CON bonus and 18 AC, I could safely dive to dungeon level 10 to get money really quickly. Then I found a libram of improvement that boosted my AC another point bit and voila, practically invincible. Hypothetically the maximum that could be reached would be 21 if my plate armor was magical and I had a ring of protection

Playing clerics was arguably more fun as, once they got going, you could stay in the dungeon as long as you wanted due to healing spells + fishing, and they weren't quite as OP as fighters because they didn't get the flat +1 to hit/level. Wizards were invincible as long as you stuck to level 3 or less due to Sleep. Level 6 was ridiculously dangerous due to gelatinous cubes, medusae and rust monsters, probably even more so than level 10 which just had monsters with relatively high AC and HP. Granted, they're much more dangerous when you're not getting +11 attack bonus. Rogues are barely any better than basic Dungeon Robbers.

And god bless +2 fishing poles. I got one late in the run, but it provided most my healing and about 20k gp in treasure.

Now I just have to look for a real group.
>>
>>53232407
I'd do Save vs paralysis or lose your action that round while a heavy nihilistic fog comes over you. Maybe something like they can reroll the save if they can make a pithy depressed poem or statement about their current predicament. Hopefully your players are fun and run with ennui in the same way they run with losing an arm or trying to figure out what potions are or negotiating with the ogres, etc.
>>
>>53232544
Oh, and now that the royal treasury is unlocked, turns out there are also rings of invisibility but I never saw one in play. Poppycock
>>
Hello Anons. Dumb question but which of the Lamentations of the Flame Princess core books in the trove are the most complete/up to date? Ive been reading 4 rules and magic. Is that the right one?
>>
>>53228798
No, but I am going to ask for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWoz-74TFEc

Quick question about the Blood of Satan, is it hot sauce or do people just think it is?
>>
File: 115059.jpg (159KB, 381x542px) Image search: [Google]
115059.jpg
159KB, 381x542px
>>53232656
Yes. The one with this cover and the appendix for firearms is the current.
>>
>>53233007
hot sauce conceived by satan
>>
>>53232407
>Does anyone have this?
Screencapper here. o/

The filename is an xkcd reference, in case you ever want to dig up the image on warosu or fireden.
>>
What rules do you use for the large scale warfare that is implied to be a possibility in B/X? (Hiring large groups of mercenaries, building strongholds, encountering stronghold patrols, etc.) Are those details in there because of Chainmail? How do you run such an encounter?
>>
>>53233212
>(notable subpopulation: 3.pf types who detest the entire OSR style and just want to play D&D with fewer and less retarded rules)

I wonder how many of these there actually are
>>
>>53231475
>I dig the style of these books, but it seems like they wouldn't be as fun to play as they are to read.
I think it works really well, but if you don't already like and can't see yourself enjoying it, then I don't think it'll work well for you.
>>
I want a wild west game, but think that firearms really don't work well with the game.
Pain.
>>
Anybody got that PDF on how to play a old school game? Things like, using a 10ft pole and avoiding fights. My players need this badly
>>
>>53233745
This thing?
>>
>>53234225
That one is more GM oriented. The one I meant is a Dos and Don'ts list for players. It might have been a blog post, not a pdf tho
>>
>>53233554
Yeah, why not just play 5e?
>>
File: 1493687249399.jpg (380KB, 1500x774px) Image search: [Google]
1493687249399.jpg
380KB, 1500x774px
>>53234249
>>53233745

Hrm.

Why not train your players through gameplay, rather than listing rules and ideas? Seems to make more sense to /show/ players "You can use a pole to check for traps" than tell them the same information in a blog post.

It's even better if you can find a way to have them invent the idea independently.
>>
>>53234340
Not him, but honestly showing such things to the players is easier said than done.
>>
>>53234340
This is actually exactly what I did today. I'm running Village of Hommlet to my party, and I feel like I'm finally getting the OSR mindset through them.

>Thief goes first, scouts
>I ask him how he scouts
>He tells me what he's looking and how, that he's eyeing at all cardinal directions, etc.
>Didn't mention he was looking up
>Green slime falls down and nearly dissolves him

I may've gone a bit too hard on him in this particular instance, though. But he survived, and later on there was some good stuff about him looking for a hidden switch and learning to tell me -how- and -where- rather than -what-.
>>
>>53234340
The ideas of how to play aren't that complicated imo.

>think about your character, inventory and environment as physical things you can use & mess with
>pay attention to gm descriptions & ask questions
>not everything is there for you to fight, or even solve, right away
>make a map, light sources are important, resources are finite
>your just as mortal and fallible as that goblin

Then roll some characters and run them through a short dungeon. If something comes up that you think is a good example of a point you think is important, tell them as its happening or after. Its okay, they're learning how to do a thing. After you've told them a few times you can stop, they'll figure it out.
>>
I'm in the mood to try a Western RPG. How is Boot Hill?
>>
>>53234450
>you're just as mortal and fallible as that goblin

me too it seems

>>53234340
Explanation helps if you want to teach instead of train. I'd rather explain methods and demonstrate them than have them just trial and error it.
>>
In B/X do you let Magic Users cast from scrolls without having first read them with Read Magic?
>>
File: jakub-rebelka-rhb.jpg (546KB, 1920x2890px) Image search: [Google]
jakub-rebelka-rhb.jpg
546KB, 1920x2890px
>>53234392
>Not him, but honestly showing such things to the players is easier said than done.

Absolutely, but it's not ludicrously difficult to do.

>>53234409
Nice! I'm not a huge fan of the "state every single action in extreme detail" side of things, but making sure players check the ceiling is important.

>>53234450
>>53234481
>Explanation helps if you want to teach instead of train. I'd rather explain methods and demonstrate them than have them just trial and error it.

Ah, but it's not trial and error. It's developing a mental set of tools that allow you to solve any OSR problem after solving one or two.

For example, after discovering and nearly dying to green slime, the Rogue has learned "check the ceiling", right?

But what they've /really/ learned is "danger can approach from unexpected directions." You bet the next time they see a weird floor tile, even if pit traps haven't come up in the game yet, they'll be cautious.

Similarly, once you get the players to understand "tools can be used to test for and disarm dangers", they'll look at their inventory with fresh eyes, and pretty soon they'll be throwing candle stumps at wall sconces, rolling rocks down hallways, and tying rope to everything.

One lesson teaches the mindset needed to solve an entire set of problems.
>>
>>53234225
I'm not exactly a fan of this primer because I think it fails to explain how the term OSR tends to be actually used - often it suggests a ruleset that has compatibility with TSR era D&D.

Some of the maxims are also kind of debateable; Gygax was plenty concerned with "game balance" although he might not construe it in the same way the term is commonly used on /tg/ (most infamously, he rationalized demihuman level limits as a method of ensuring "balance").

Still the play examples are pretty solid in illustrating some of the differences in practical play so it's not all bad, and something as big and as sprawling as the OSR has a lot of different corners and niches so it's rather hard to give an elegant summary.
>>
>>53234699
Pretty sure we're talking about a similar enough thing and I'm being pedantic about using the term train rather than teach. Train to me implies making them able to run through a series of tasks you present them without explaining what happened after the event, where as teaching is more explaining a thought process and how that process interacted with specific context. I'm probably over thinking it though.
>>
>>53234783
I'm not the biggest fan either but it was what the anon here seemed to ask for, and to my knowledge there's no better document about the subject written.
>>
>>53234661
No. RAW, magic-users and elves must use Read Magic first. (Clerics can cast cleric spells from scrolls without using Read Magic, however.)
>>
>>53233017
is that one more updated than the grindhouse edition?
>>
File: Toadslingers.png (25KB, 1215x188px) Image search: [Google]
Toadslingers.png
25KB, 1215x188px
>>53233642
>I want a wild west game, but think that firearms really don't work well with the game.

Simple!

Toadslingers!
>>
>>53233554
They're less common than the unwilling-to-change-systems 5e people who come in unhappy all the time, but I've seen a few.
>>
>>53234834
I think there's also the Role-Playing Game Primer and Old School Playbook under DM Resources in the trove, but some people have mixed feelings about that one.
>>
>>53234661
I like the idea of giving magic-users an additional 1st level spell slot and having them automatically know read magic to fill it.
>>
>>53234661
I've been playing copious amounts of roguelikes lately, so I'm half tempted to let my magic-users read a scroll without knowing what it is beforehand.

Though the problem is that roguelikes let you do that so that you recognize what the scroll is the next time you come across it, whereas you're not likely to come across 5 of the same scroll in a short span of time in B/X.
>>
>>53233212
https://falsemachine.blogspot.com/2017/03/mapping-osr.html
>>
File: p09_00020033.jpg (218KB, 990x701px) Image search: [Google]
p09_00020033.jpg
218KB, 990x701px
>>53235178
>you're not likely to come across 5 of the same scroll in a short span of time in B/X.

Not until the invention of the printing press, at least.
>>
Can Wandering Monster checks be made in the middle of combat where a lot of noise is being made, and will my party hate me if I say another group of monsters walked into the room while a minotaur is tearing them to shreds?
>>
>>53235178
You could have it becoming familiar with different magic user's cyphers, metaphysics and terminology. After decrypting the first one, which usually results in casting it, you can figure out scrolls by the same wizard, cabal, humanoid cosmogony, or school of thought.
>>
>>53235437
If a fights drag on for 10+ rounds, that's a very real possibility.

Bear in mind, not all monsters like eachother.
They won't necessarily help the PCs, but they mind lay an post-fight ambush instead of joining mid-fight, etc.
>>
>>53235437
Absolutely. It's one of the main reason to avoid fights, even easy fights.

The monster that wanders in might require everyone to shift alliances.

I swear, there was even a room I read about on a blog that was based around this. Whole room was filled with fetal mice. Moving them to get to the treasure made a ton of noise and smells and attracted monsters.
>>
>>53235442
That's a nice compromise. As long as it's something that comes up in play and isn't just theoretical
>>
>>53235437
Depends on whether you can judge such situations in a reasonable manner. If you play monsters as mindless, auto-aggroing mobs whose only purpose is to attack player characters on sight, you probably shouldn't do that. On the other hand if you can actually roleplay monsters and utilize reaction rolls the players might even benefit from a separate group of monsters stumbling upon an on-going battle.
>>
>>53235251
Damn, K&K Alehouse got really salty about that post...
>>
>>53234903
That shit reminds me of Oddworld
>>
>>53235589
It seems like it could get fiddly or might just not come up much unless the GM did some world building and set up random encounter tables to accommodate it.
>>
File: mymap.png (315KB, 760x651px) Image search: [Google]
mymap.png
315KB, 760x651px
>>53220923
working on my map for my upcoming west marches game What you guys think?
>>
>>53220923
>Jayquayed all to hell with NPC/Concept maps
Share your approach, anon, please
>>
File: crowded.png (24KB, 136x71px) Image search: [Google]
crowded.png
24KB, 136x71px
>>53235902
There must be a good reason B/X maps are popular. Easy to generate? Clearly associate a terrain type with each hex?

After you've put a terrain symbol on each of those tiny hexes, there isn't much room left over for settlements, fortifications, and ruins, much less names.
>>
>>53235902
What are the skull and bones? What size hexes are they? Looks jampacked with stuff, which I tend to like, but not sure of the scale.
>>
>>53236168
>There must be a good reason B/X maps are popular.

I reckon it's because Hexographer uses them and Hexographer is the best and easiest mapping program out there.
>>
>>53234881
Yes. In the trove they are numbered for ease of use.
>>
>>53235902
What is the scale for your hexmap? I actually prefer to go with a less naturalistic map with disparate and easily compartmentalized regions (players aren't supposed to have an omniscient view of your map anyway.)

It's also easier to create distinctive "flavors" for your regions and consequentially random encounters if you keep your regions limited to 1-3 terrain types. Depending on your map scale however, I think 2 or 3 encounter tables could work well.

>>53236098
http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/13085/roleplaying-games/jaquaying-the-dungeon

To simplify, Jayquaying is writing a dungeon with multiple entrances, exits, as little chokepoints as possible and stressing an "ecosystem" of relationships.

I like to start a dungeon by writing up four separate drafts of notes, the first being general concepts/ideas that show up in the adventure, the second is the important NPC/faction relationship chart & the third is the dungeon chart, which includes important rooms, mechanisms & objects and what their relation is with one another, that way when players interact with them, they uncover ways to overcome challenges without rolling initiative as I do not give my players XP for killing monsters. The fourth & final note is usually random shit & treasure that I'll throw into the "dungeon".

After that is collected, I will draw a map and populate it with all of the stuff from my chicken scratch.
>>
File: dsfds.png (819KB, 1012x523px) Image search: [Google]
dsfds.png
819KB, 1012x523px
Houserules?

LotFP:

1. Max HP at lv. 1
2. Anyone can read a Clerical Scroll, so long as they know the language.
3. Variation of DCC's Mighty Deed die.
4. Once a day, Thieves get a d4 "Lady Luck" roll to add to anything. Clerics also, as a boon from their God.
5. Fighters get to cleave (free attack) within 10' if they kill someone.
6. Read Magic is a cantrip.
7. Long rest w/ a ration heals lv.+1 HP.
8. New classes: Barbarian, Druid, Arcane Trickster, and Ranger.
9. New skills: Acrobatics, Arcana, Medicine and Speechcraft.
10. Dual-Wielding with a -2 to main hand and -4 to off hand.
11. Shield Splinter: Negate all damage from an attack by sacrificing your shield.
12. Race/Class separation.
>>
>>53236168
I use the Add/Edit note feature on hexographer and I usually do a write up for every single hex. Since I'm running a player directed West Marches game, I only have swaths of hexes that are actually populated since I can prep the area beforehand and not worry about populating my entire map. I've also suggested to Inkwell that there should be a feature to alter the color of the tab, so I can easily key them with red, yellow & green to find out if the locations are hidden, require exploration or are visible upon entering the hex.
>>
>>53236757
Out of curiosity, how do you handle race/class separation? Are you porting it over from another system? Or is it more basic than that?
>>
File: tumblr_o54d8si59d1s4fz4bo1_500.gif (1MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o54d8si59d1s4fz4bo1_500.gif
1MB, 500x500px
>>53236757
>Houserules?

Entire system is a homebrew agglomeration, but there's a few things I've houseruled.

As written, your starting HP is CON-4. You roll your stats on 3d6.

So you can start with 0 or -1 HP. If you do so, you get to roll up starting equipment, but then you enter the scene, speak one line, die, and the PCs (confused as hell) loot your body.

Paradox Angels might show up.
>>
>>53236757
Max HP at level 1 is probably the biggest and only houserule I run with. Been also toying with the stone-based encumbrance from Delta's D&D blog. Otherwise it's standard BFRPG with the GP for XP option and supplements as I need them.
>>
>>53235827
I mean you could like a) make it all scrolls in the current dungeon or b) roll for it if there's several cultures
>>
>>53235902
Holy shit do you need a background for those labels. Can't see any of the names in a clear manner.
>>
File: Dungeon Chef's Gear.png (672KB, 1453x2145px) Image search: [Google]
Dungeon Chef's Gear.png
672KB, 1453x2145px
Alright /osrg/, I've been inspired to write a class based on Dungeon Meshi. Tell me how bad this is.

I don't actually have much experience with OSR games, only ran three sessions of LotFP. Nonetheless, I've been working on my own ruleset aren't we all and

DUNGEON CHEF
HD, XP, and saves as Fighter
Bushcraft starts at 2-in-6, increases every 3 levels

Every odd level (including first), pick one of the benefits from the list below; when you cook a special meal, you can give it some of the effects you know. The exact number is determined by your Wisdom bonus (minimum 1).

>restore HP equal to meal tier, even above max (above-max HP disappears at the end of the day)
>bonus to checks made to endure extreme temperatures for the day equal to meal tier
>remove levels of exhaustion equal to meal tier
>give bonus to Saves vs Poison equal to meal tier for the day
>grants damage resistances of ingredient creature(s) for the day
>gives bonus to Constitution rolls equal to meal tier for the day

The Dungeon Chef can cook meals when the party is at camp. There are two types of meals: normal and special. Normal meals keep the party from starving and only require one ingredient. If you want to cook a normal meal, no roll is required. Special meals come in tiers, with each meal tier being harder to cook but offering greater benefits.

CONTINUED NEXT POST
>>
File: 1489128387063.jpg (106KB, 640x634px) Image search: [Google]
1489128387063.jpg
106KB, 640x634px
>>53237107
To cook a special meal, you need at least two distinct special ingredients. Usually these are monster parts, dungeon flora, spices, and other such things. Dead monsters provide ingredients equal to Hit Dice (one from a <1HD monster). Rations can’t be an ingredient in a special meal, but spices can. After picking your ingredients, roll Bushcraft. For each ingredient after the second, you add +1 to your Bushcraft skill for this roll. The meal tier is equal to your Bushcraft skill minus the die result.

Tier 0 is a normal meal. Tiers below 0 are inedible and you’ll get sick if you eat them.

When you cook a special meal, there is enough to serve all the player characters in the party. Characters that eat a special meal gain special effects (see above).

When you successfully complete a special meal, you can write it down as a recipe (including ingredients, meal tier, effects, and a name). From then on, if you follow the recipe, the meal is guaranteed to be at least the same meal tier as the recipe and have the same effects. If the new version is better, you can update the recipe so its guaranteed tier increases.
>>
>>53236757
>11. Shield Splinter: Negate all damage from an attack by sacrificing your shield.
This is one I now use as standard in most D&D derived games - it really gives PCs a buffer against runs of really bad luck and really makes shields feel vital and useful.
>>
File: race and class.png (139KB, 677x769px) Image search: [Google]
race and class.png
139KB, 677x769px
>>53236910
Depending on the general vibe of the game, I either port it over from BFRPG or I use a separation where Race (typically) gets +1 to an Ability modifier and +1 to a stereotypical skill.
>>
File: default settings.jpg (13KB, 278x233px) Image search: [Google]
default settings.jpg
13KB, 278x233px
>>53236168
It always amazes me, how many people don't look at the settings.

>>53236314
>What are the skull and bones?
Hexographer claims it's a "Bad Magic Source," really though it means, "Here Be Spooky."
>>
File: poetic_fantasy_map.png (2MB, 2880x1760px) Image search: [Google]
poetic_fantasy_map.png
2MB, 2880x1760px
Just made it. Pls rate.
>>
>>53237273
>What manner o' thing is your crocodile?
>>
>>53237273
Interesting/10
>>
>>53237107
>>53237128
Some of the special effects would probably see way more use than others, but this still seems pretty good.
>>
>>53237273
>The Place of the People Who Live There
>>
>>53237273
>Iceberg where on the cold things live
>>
>>53236991
Making a table for the different dungeon cultures and rolling it works. Does a bit of world building as you go too. Into it. You can probably do high/low/vulgar/latin analogues too for things that are close enough.
>>
>tfw really want to make a hexcrawl for my group lack confidence in my skills to make a proper map for them to play on
>>
>>53236168
Free version of Hexographer limits tilesets.
Paid version of Hexographer costs $32.
>>
>>53237966
>proper map
>>
File: tumblr_o5tokxeIjI1qz64n4o1_400.gif (2MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5tokxeIjI1qz64n4o1_400.gif
2MB, 300x169px
>>53237966
Dude. It doesn't matter. Nobody cares about map quality. Just print some hex grid paper and draw on it.
>>
>>53238125
I care because I'm going to put the map for everyone to see on Roll20.
>>
File: 1492756778-Ch5Pg193.png (137KB, 730x198px) Image search: [Google]
1492756778-Ch5Pg193.png
137KB, 730x198px
>>53238291
Nobody's going to care either.

Seriously, the things people care about (as far as I can ever tell are):

-Is this system intuitive?
-Do I get equal time?
-Is the story we are telling engaging?
-Is the tone consistent?
-Do I feel like my choices matter?

The rest is all fluff and GM wankery, to be honest. Focus on making sure those things happen and the rest doesn't matter so much.
>>
>>53237966
here I make this for you
https://medium.com/@davidwoyke/d-d-creating-a-hex-crawl-cf33d42e35f9
>>
>>53236540
>>53236314

for scale I tend not to think in exact measurements so what I use is 1 open terrain hex= 1/2 a day of travel by foot and change that up to suit the terrain and how the players are travelling
>>
File: g6Wa2gS.png (2MB, 810x1080px) Image search: [Google]
g6Wa2gS.png
2MB, 810x1080px
Are there any OSR settings or books that deal specifically with the Plague or other major epidemics?
>>
>>53239527
I'd be surprised if LotFP didn't have something about this.
>>
File: TheManse_OSR_game_alt.pdf (104KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
TheManse_OSR_game_alt.pdf
104KB, 1x1px
r8 my homebrew
>>
File: 1493957083471.jpg (649KB, 1000x716px) Image search: [Google]
1493957083471.jpg
649KB, 1000x716px
>>53239548
As far as I can tell, there's only one: "Forgive Us", which is explicitly /not/ about the Plague, but instead about John Carpenter's "The Thing" pretending to be the plague.

Hopefully, other people in /osr/ know of plague-based modules.
>>
>>53239785
>"chose (...) race"
>no races
>"for the fighting monsters and men alike"
>"porcelain"
>"enemy's"
>"Example;"
>sentences ending without periods throughout that paragraph
>"roll ALL hit die"
>some headings are surrounded by dashes and centered, others aren't

0/10, gr8 b8 m8

More seriously, the mechanics look fine (I especially like how you've handled AC). Having the base saving throw be 5 seems rough, though; assuming monsters don't routinely get a way higher base, wouldn't you rather Combat Move them into submission than try to roll over their AC?
>>
>>53240180

Actually monsters do get a higher base. They use their morale score.
>>
>>53239785
I like ac and hp. Simple and intuitive.

I'm confused about how combat maneuvers work. Do you have to roll to hit, then the target makes a save vs X? How is X determined?

Sneaking might need more elaboration. How do you determine how well one sneaks vs being detected?

Is spell power what monsters have to save against to resist spells? How is that determined?

Looks neat though, just needs some clarifications.
>>
>>53239785
> Roll 3d6 in order for your character's stats. The stats are Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma
Ok, I can deal with this
> stat modifier 3: -2, 18: +2
wtf? 3 gets a -3, 18 gets +3. Everybody knows this
> fighters: combat experts, well suited for the fighting monsters and men alike
> rogues: stelathy
> magicians: capable of casting magic spells
Really? I never realized this. Glad somebody explained it
> Whenever exposed to sudden danger... a save may be called
Yes, why don't people understand this. I'm always saying this
> Money spent on frivolous things or pure luxury grants +10% bonus experience
wtf
> you must roll a d20 and exceed your enemy's AC to hit
ascending AC? Are you a fucking communist?
> Instead of your regular attack, you may perform a Combat Move
ok
> If you are wielding a staff, you can choose to add your Wisdom modifier to your AC instead of Dex
wtf
> Hidden weapons... deal only d4 damage
Do you mean hideable?
> Whenever you level up, roll ALL hit die with bonuses and take the new result only if bigger then the old result
wtf
> Whenever you kill something, you may make another attack on another target within range.
wtf
> Whenever you sneak, add +1 to your roll.
wtf, why would rogues not always sneak
> magician class has no spells
wtf

2/48 = 0.8333/10
>>
File: Freddy BEGONE THOT.jpg (40KB, 662x662px) Image search: [Google]
Freddy BEGONE THOT.jpg
40KB, 662x662px
>>53240496

Could you not?
>>
>>53240496
>Really? I never realized this. Glad somebody explained it
I doubt anyone will play his shitty homebrew as their first RPG, but you'd have just as soon gotten on his case about having rules with no explanations.
>>
>>53240526
Are you a commie or something?
>>
>>53239785
I rate it "(You) should really do more work on this instead of just reposting the same thing every month"/10

>>53240496
>Money spent on frivolous things or pure luxury grants +10% bonus experience
>wtf

It's a mechanical carrot that leads to RP.
>>
File: 1358968898354.png (117KB, 1416x675px) Image search: [Google]
1358968898354.png
117KB, 1416x675px
>>53240496
> Money spent on frivolous things or pure luxury grants +10% bonus experience
>wtf

This is actually one of my favorite bits of the homebrew, and is worth stealing.
>>
File: fat wojack smoke.jpg (74KB, 737x758px) Image search: [Google]
fat wojack smoke.jpg
74KB, 737x758px
>>53240342

I read the doc again and realized that those things were not explained, thanks.

>>53240586
>I rate it "(You) should really do more work on this instead of just reposting the same thing every month"/10
pic related
>>
File: porcelain.png (74KB, 1198x357px) Image search: [Google]
porcelain.png
74KB, 1198x357px
>>53240180
>"porcelain"

???
>>
>>53220433
Fuck you Lucas, you owe me money.
>>
Do you guys give your players a full hexmap or do you draw it and slowly reveal it to them as they explore?
>>
>>53241282
I give them hex paper and let them draw.

If they buy a map in-game, I sketch them a non-hex map.
>>
>>53241282
Don't give my players shit. They're in charge of drawing their own maps.
>>
>>53237966
Adventurer Conqueror King has a number of good guidelines on creating and seeding a hexmap, especially in terms of encounter density and ratio of pre-seeded content vs. random encounter content (using %chance in lair mechanics from B/X).
>>
The thread is dead. Long live the thread >>53241451
>>
File: oh tg.png (7KB, 430x69px) Image search: [Google]
oh tg.png
7KB, 430x69px
>>53241463
Want to try again there, sunny jim? Your last attempt was too titalicious for this world.
>>
>>53241463
baka
>>
Long live the sfw thread >>53241543
>>
>>53235251
>Tao Alex is just about the sheer love of detail. For grins in between completing 30 mile hexmaps of the entire planet Earth, and devising systems to procedurally fill each one of those hexes with even finer detail, he's working out an even crunchier extensions of segment-by-segment AD&D combat.
I love that Alexis exists.
>>
>>53238291
The truth: players don't care about the map just as they don't care about referee info/lore dumps. The only thing that matters is what you do with your map. The game play needs to be good.
>>
>>53241282
Rule 1: The referee doesn't draw maps for players.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 107

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.