[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dragon thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: 1494399933740.png (3MB, 1280x6568px) Image search: [Google]
1494399933740.png
3MB, 1280x6568px
How are dragons normally handled in your campaigns or quests?

How was your last encounter with a dragon?

Do you think Dragons are good romanceable options?
>>
>>53200910
In My Setting (TM), there's three types of dragon.
The really old ones, who tend to have set up private demiplanes that they rule however they please. They're practically gods, and about as likely to show up in a campaign.
The old and savvy ones, who realize that they can be killed but won't if they're not dumb enough to pick fights. These tend to be in positions of power high enough that they're important but low enough that there's people who would be easier and more rewarding to kill.
The young idiots, who haven't yet realized that while being a dragon means winning 99% of fights, it also means dying in 1% of fights. Tend to be headstrong and power hungry, leading from the front and dying in dramatic ways.

Generally, any dragon the PCs encounter will be a young one. They're good antagonists, rivals, villains, or flashy bit players.
The old ones tend to be quest givers if anything.
The really old ones might send an emissary to a kingdom offering a bounty on a rare item or specific deed, but no way in hell are they showing up in person.
>>
>>53200910
In the setting I'm currently building, my Civilized Orcs have domesticated dragons.

Doggo dragons
>Horse dragons
Ox dragons
>Cow dragons
Hawk dragons

Any animal that exists, my Orcs have a dragon version.
Mostly because they're trapped in The Frozen North, where only Orcs and dragons can live comfortably.
>>
>>53200910
>>53203736

>How was your last encounter with a dragon?

The Orc PC has a Hawk dragon pet
>>
>>53203736
Do they have dragon dragons?
>>
>>53203759

Yes, they are called wild dragons.
>>
File: 1479473299462m.jpg (104KB, 769x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1479473299462m.jpg
104KB, 769x1024px
>>53200910
>Do you think Dragons are good romanceable options?
Death to ERPfags
>>
I've done it a bunch of different ways but increasingly I think this kinda dragon is a good thing and I like it:

http://goblinpunch.blogspot.co.nz/2016/08/the-dragon-hole.html

1. Garnos the Bestial
Hoard: Alcohol, Bones, Weapons
Drakencult: Berserkers who have drank of his blood.
Distinctive Marks: Darker scales, scarred eye.
Delusion: Everyone is trying to kill him.

Garnos doesn't talk much. He's a draconic primitivist--he thinks that dragons shouldn't be talking in the first time. He does all the hunting for the family, and he gets to keep all the bones. His chambers are filled with bones: cows and horses, but a few human as well.

Garnos is the dragon who does all the hunting for his siblings. When a dragon is sighted flying around the surrounding neighborhood, that dragon is Garnos 90% of the time. (But people have a hard time telling the siblings apart, which is why they only think a single dragon lives in the Dragon Hole.)

He collects the dragonslayers that come after him, and usually keeps them prisoner. He sometimes gives them false chances to escape or attack him--he is just watching them to see what tactics they use. He is familiar with the harpoons, poisons, and hooks of dragonslayers. Prisoners are given several opportunities to drink his blood. Those that refuse will be killed. Those that drink it will go mad and become his loyal berserkers.

Garnos also likes to get drunk, and keeps a few barrels of whiskey in the back. He gets blackout drunk on about 5% of days, but doesn't otherwise drink. The other dragons don't know about his occasional alcoholism.

>This is probably where he also feeds blood to his loyal dudes. Dragons are armored all over so he probably has to cut the inside of his eyelid, and then the berserker just drinks the blood out of the cupped flesh of his lower eye while Garnos just stares at you.
>>
>>53200910
Dragons exist in so that we can have cool fights or to kidnap royalty.

Dragonwankers go and stay go
>>
File: Birdragon.png (4KB, 459x323px) Image search: [Google]
Birdragon.png
4KB, 459x323px
>>53203736
>>
>>53200910
>PC 20th level wizard uses True Polymorph on himself to turn himself into an Ancient Brass Dragon
>PC concentrates for an hour to make the spell permanent
>PC has friendly neighborhood high level Necromancer cast Clone on him while in dragon form
>PC waits the growing time of the clone and kills himself in an overkill way

How would you handle this?
Does he become a true dragon forever without chance of dispelling, /tg/?
>>
>>53200910
Lazy, clever, and endlessly arrogant. Often they do little more than enjoy their own treasures or rest, seeing as they rarely need to eat, and most things don't bother fucking with them.

Some of the breeds are more prone to the 'madness' that denotes the more violent and feral behaviors that you see from dragons in popular media however, and these ones cannot be reasoned with, or even talked to most of the time.

The only way to tell the difference is to find a dragon bored enough that it's taken a human form to walk around, which only the 'sane' ones do, or try talking to the giant lizard able to kill most things it sets eyes upon without much effort. Worse yet, if you're stealing from a 'sane' one or if you're preparing to capture or murder it, well, it's probably not going to react well or think you as much other than intruders or people wishing it harm. Worse yet, even the more intelligent dragons often view humans so far below them that they may not even deign to talk to them.

As for romance, they'd likely view it the same way we view someone trying to fuck a monkey or a dog. Thusly the dragons you find are likely to be a little weird or outcasts in some way if you could actually romance them.

>>53204227
Any real dragon would know the difference, cloning really doesn't help that, at all. In fact, it'd probably enrage other dragons to find someone who did this to try and become one.
>>
>>53204227
Why Brass though?
>>
>>53204316
Challenge rating 20.
>>
>>53204377
For CR 19 you could pick a Very Young Force Dragon and get the same stats with better advancement. If the first step of your plan is to become a level 20 wizard then you want to aim a lot higher for the second step.
>>
File: 1489706122606.jpg (63KB, 250x323px) Image search: [Google]
1489706122606.jpg
63KB, 250x323px
They did it in shrek
>>
>>53200910
Mostly the first line of >>53204282's response.

These are beings that think they're superior to just about everything, after all.

Except the ones linked to the Beryls and Shajads. Firstly, they're essentially immortal, in that you can destroy their body, but they have what's basically an inbuilt phylactery that is completely indestructible. They can be rezzed by either someone who's born to be the next vessel touching the stone(in the case of the dragons of the Beryls), or shanking someone with the stone(for the ones of the Shajads). Personality-wise, they're a tad... weird, considering they've been granted natures by specific "deities". So the dragon of Barakiel, the perfect god, is incredibly artistic, but has a rather inconvenient case of OCD. The dragon of Erebus, the 'god' of magic and fear, is incredibly knowledgeable, but also a bit of a subtle sadist who enjoys making those she interacts with squirm.

Top "tha hell, man" billings go to Legion Ramses, the dragon of the "Puppet Master" Jedah. While he puts on airs of being this fearsome entity, he really dislikes actual combat. And when he got resurrected into a human pharoah, he decided that he wanted to find out more about "humanity". Which has led to his decline into a borderline NEET humaboo.

Sex is on a dragon by dragon basis, though the dragon of the Beryl Edamiel will rock your fucking world so hard that you become a nihilist.
>>
File: Desert Drow 2.png (188KB, 300x522px) Image search: [Google]
Desert Drow 2.png
188KB, 300x522px
>>53200910
>How are dragons normally handled in your campaigns or quests?

Just finished Rise of Tiamat, so they were generally the most dangerous thing on the battlefield.

>How was your last encounter with a dragon?

I knew it - an Ancient White (CR 20, when the party was level 14) - was going to kill my entire party if I (CG drow thief) didn't stop it, but two of the party had earlier wandered off for in-character reasons, while the third, on seeing an Ancient White, ran away rather than stay and help me, or even really do anything to help me escape. Silver lining: that act was the final nail in the coffin of her trying to claim to be True Neutral - she shifted to Neutral Evil

So I did the only thing I could. I ran right up next to it and threw my Bag of Holding inside my other Bag of Holding. Opened up a portal to the Astral Plane that sucked both me and the dragon in, no saving throw allowed. Functionally this killed my character since I had no way back into the Material Plane after that.

Just for shits and giggles, though, once the session was otherwise over the DM and I played out the fight with the Ancient White...and thanks to blind luck, the movement rules of the Astral Sea, and a Silver Horn of Valhalla that my character had acquired earlier in the campaign, I managed to actually win.

Still stuck in the Astral, though, after the campaign ended. I'm writing an epilogue for my character to get her home. It's going to involve the City of Brass. And Spelljammers.

Sure, as long as they pass the Harkness test.
>>
>>53204740
>For CR 19 you could pick a Very Young Force Dragon and get the same stats with better advancement

Not in 5e you can't, since they haven't been updated. And the guy you were responding to was probably talking about 5e given that he mentioned concentrating for an hour to make it permanent.
>>
>>53200910
The best
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.