[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Abandoned prison dungeon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: typical prison dungeon.jpg (69KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
typical prison dungeon.jpg
69KB, 512x512px
Every time I try to look up a prison map I get awful, boring shit like this. I've got a rough map in my head but I want to bounce ideas around about what might have happened in the prison after it was abandoned.

It's a dwarf-made prison some distance underground, built to hold all kinds of goblinoids during a war a couple hundred years ago. (Maybe 200, I don't really care honestly. I'm the DM here btw)

It's got:
1) a huge pit to hold all the goblins. it's really awful in there
2) some bigger cells for bugbears with stark white walls so they can't sneak around
3) hobgoblins and orcs were grouped together in normal cell blocks
4) very important prisoners were kept bound to a wall in a big circular room. the floor is sloped so anything dropped slides to the middle. it can be flooded with gas in case of a big escape or other disaster
5) Places for the guards to eat, and other useless shit that we all still want to see in a dungeon am I right fellas
I haven't really decided much about what's so different now. Or about what made it so important before, that now we're coming back to it again. I want to include some kind of magical element, but I'm not sure what. I want a questionable experiment to have taken place, but not something too biological like making super soldiers or whatever. That's the kind of theme for a different place I had in mind, way far away so it doesn't matter.

Here's my idea:
After the war was over, orcs and half-orcs were allowed to integrate into surface societies, but still not in any reputable dwarf settlements. All other goblinoids were pushed out and considered vermin at best. Oftentimes the surface-peoples were resentful of the orcs and didn't want to heal them, so lots of them lost some parts. Limbs, organs, anything goes really. Anyway, the dwarves pioneered magical prosthetics that still get used hundreds of years later by their ancestors.
>>
>>53193214

The prosthetics are generally better than usual organs, but I'm thinking they can be "overclocked" by fueling the devices with their own blood. Like -2 constitution.

One of the players is a half-orc so I would like to include a functional implant/prosthetic, that they can decide if their character will want to use or not. I really like this idea, obviously, but I acknowledge it might be a different theme than what they're going for.
>>
>>53193331

The players ended up here chasing down a bunch of kobolds that blew a hole into some nearby mines. They blew up tons of tunnels and just uncovered this abandoned dwarf prison. I don't really know where I want this game to go past this session, so really any ideas are welcome.
>>
>>53193214

Prisons usually will be boring. That's because nobody cares about design, just an efficient way to hold prisoners.

The only way I can see any kind of prison being unique is if the prison is one part of a larger complex, or is basically not a prison but some kind of torture station that would have varied rooms. But even then torture is simple and you'd only need cells and a few rooms to do the torturing. It's like you want an efficient and utilitarian place to be designed like some sort of palace. They don't mesh well and nobody would do that.
>>
The only interesting prison I can think of is the Tower of Latria in Demon's Souls.

It was a tower prison with all the boring layout problems a prison normally has (like >>53193662 said) but it was made interesting to navigate by becoming a maze.

Every floor and cell block was locked off until you found the right key so you had to walk long ways around while remembering which doors it were that were open already and with every found key navigation got easier as you could just take shortcuts instead of having to walk around.
>>
File: not sure if serious snake.jpg (52KB, 751x502px) Image search: [Google]
not sure if serious snake.jpg
52KB, 751x502px
>>53193214
>dwarves
>imprisoning goblinoids
>during a war
>>
Have some parts of it crumbling, some parts of it not. Have all the things break free. Have some really yuge room for giants. Force players to enter through the sewer or something and pop up in an anonymously standard cell. Have some parts collapsed. Or even better, have it be a whole fortified town that was repurposed into a prison and garrison when the front lines advanced to its position.
>>
Have one of the prisoners be something really bad, like a powerful demon that survived being gassed, and has since escaped. It fled to the lower floors, taking over the basement and caverns below, and has had centuries to build their forces and send underlings to alter and corrupt the prison above.
>>
>>53196226
That's hardly unbelievable
>>
>>53196226
Goblinoid enemy combatants have rights too you know.
You can't just execute them on the field of battle.
Just think of the optics of the situation if some Dwarven journalists released some photos. You'd have peace marches in Dwarven Universities and then you'd have to reconsider the draft.
>>
>>53196582
Well sure, guarding and feeding all those goblin prisoners takes dwarfs and resources that could be better spent on the front, but you don't want some elves to make you all out to be the bad guys.
>>
>>53196332
>>53196582
>>53196707
lol
>>
>>53196332
>>53196582
>>53196707
DIDF shills right here god damn war crimes division.
>>
>>53196226
You never know, they could be Chaos dwarves and be waiting until they have several hundred so they can sacrifice them all to Hashut in the firepits.
>>
>>53193214
>I get awful, boring shit like this.
You stupid fuck, it's a prison, it's supposed to be awful and boring. It can't have all those cool winding twisting corridors and secret passages, because that'd make riots and breakouts easier, and prison warden dwarves, unlike wizards, have some sense of right and wrong.

You could always start with awful boring shit and add escape tunnels and secret stashes the inmates dug themselves. But more important than this, if you want to make it interesting, I think, would be writing and drawings on the walls, signs of fighting/death, a makeshift temple to their goblinoid gods... make it clear inmates tried to keep on living rather than simply existing.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.