[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/STG/ - Star Trek General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 56

File: IMG_2150.jpg (228KB, 1512x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2150.jpg
228KB, 1512x864px
Nebula Edition

Previous Thread >>53149030

A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include Star Trek Adventures - the new rpg being produced by Modiphius - and WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures game, as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures, Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG
-Official Modiphius Page
>http://www.modiphius.com/star-trek.html
Playtest Materials (via Biff Tannen)
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/36m6c22co6y5m/Modiphius%20Star%20Trek%20Adventures
Reverse Engineered Character Creation.
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g2ofDX0-7tgHojjk7sKcp7uVFSK3M52eVP45gKNJhgY/edit?usp=sharing

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>http://pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>http://pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing Miniatures Game
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>http://wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>http://pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>http://www.startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>http://pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP
>>
>>53190844
>not "Don't talk to me or my wife's science vessel again" edition
One job OP.
>>
>>53190844
Who cut that Galaxy class in half?
>>
>>53190933
The guys over at Utopia Planitia got drunk one night and decided to see what would happen if you mixed a Galaxy with a Miranda. Then they decided to throw it into production just to make the Antares team look like lazy unimaginative assholes. Hence we have the Nebbie.
>>
>>53190844
Is there a functional difference to those 2 pods or are they just aesthetically different?
>>
>>53191110
They're modular mission pods just like the Miranda gets.
>>
>>53191110
Yes, actually. One is a sensor pod crammed full of the latest and greatest sensing gear the Federation has.

The other is full of warcrimes.
>>
File: nebula2_large.jpg (104KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
nebula2_large.jpg
104KB, 1440x900px
>>53190844
>Nebula Edition
If I may be so bold, I'd say this is the best edition.
>>
>>53191634
If there's one thing I hate, it's that the Federation ships in STO can't spec outside of their "class." I'd love a tactical Nebula with a fuckload of guns.
>>
>>53191670
STO is total shit.
>>
File: Nebbie Miranda Oberth.jpg (229KB, 1920x806px) Image search: [Google]
Nebbie Miranda Oberth.jpg
229KB, 1920x806px
I think we can all agree that this image contains the best ship. Whichever one you choose.

>>53191589
>The other is full of warcrimes.
That is a bit much.
>>
>>53191634
You know what I've just noticed?

That main shuttle bay is extremely poorly placed.
>>
>>53191589
>>53191881
I think the rounded one is a sensor array, reminiscent of the AWACS radar aircraft.
The triangular one is a huge pile of torpedo launchers, like a "Stalin's organ" katiusha truck.
>>
File: nebula_main_v3.png (764KB, 6000x2678px) Image search: [Google]
nebula_main_v3.png
764KB, 6000x2678px
>>53192211
The normal triangular one isn't all torpedo launchers (there are two launchers, one fore, one aft facing), there may be an all torpedo version (which would be pretty awesome, but sort of overkill).

>>53192096
>That main shuttle bay is extremely poorly placed.
Yeah it is. Got to be a good pilot, or every shuttle comes in under AI control.
>>
>>53194079
>Got to be a good pilot, or every shuttle comes in under AI control.

Eh, it looks like there's enough clearance that you can just do a hard 90 degree turn once you've cleared the bay superstructure and be on your way. Doesn't seem that difficult.
>>
>>53192096
Not too bad on the Phoenix model, where you have the loop to fly through
>>
>>
>>
>>53196947
Something like that would have been interesting for the NX01 design.
>Ship still uses conventional weapon turrets and spinning radar/lidar
>Prototype phaser cannon that blows out half the ships fuses when fired
>Missiles
>Crew initially armed with firearms and tasers
>Asteroid mining drones and built in refinery for producing new dilithium while on deep exploration because they burn it up constantly
Then just slowly upgrade the ship and equipment over the next few seasons as they learn more/refine what they know and stumble on/purchase new technologies.
>>
>>53196947
>>53197056
>how do we redesign something iconic?
>let's make it as ugly and stupid-looking as possible
>excellent idea
>>
>>53197110
>jjtrek.txt
>>
>>53197056
Looks like what you'd get if you tried to build the Enterprise in space engineers
>>
>>53191697
it's like WoW with less ankle fighting
>>
>>53197095
This, all of this
>>
>>53197095
You're making me want things that are impossible.
>>
>>53197211
>>
>>53191881
I like to think that the Captain of the MIranda and Oberth spent the entire journey back to Earth shouting stuff like "WHO'S FLYING A DEATHTRAP NOW, PICARD?"
>>
So, what did /stg/ think of Cryptic's fanfic competition?
>>
>>53199901

It reminded me I have no idea about any backstory for my Captain.
>>
File: edge.jpg (90KB, 680x916px) Image search: [Google]
edge.jpg
90KB, 680x916px
>>53199901
Almost entered. But then I realized I didn't like the prompt especially with my orange county donut steel aliums and can't into creative writing anyways, even though several of my aliens have elaborate backstories in my head.
I give it a 6/10. The winners were OK, as far as that goes, but it encourages fanfic-tier stuff.
>>
>>53200887

Did you execute the rest of your crew?
>>
>>53200887
>I realized I didn't like the prompt

Yeah. For everyone except my TOS Vulcan, the story would have been "The Doctor spanked them after they were born."
>>
>>53199901
Got half way through writing an entry and then stopped because I didn't think it was all that interesting a story.
>>
>>53199954
>>53200887
>>53200942
>>53201083
>>53202177
Speaking of which, what are your captains like? Their backstories? How much do you roleplay them? This isn't a desperate attempt to make the thread /tg/ relevant again, I swear. What'd you write about them if you were just given an open prompt?
>>
File: STO Dok2 Bio.jpg (73KB, 506x458px) Image search: [Google]
STO Dok2 Bio.jpg
73KB, 506x458px
>>53202748
>>
File: STO Da2 Bio.jpg (65KB, 507x422px) Image search: [Google]
STO Da2 Bio.jpg
65KB, 507x422px
>>53202926
>>53202748
>>
>>53197095
>>53198050
>>53198120

Try the Homeworld franchise, there are a few good Star Trek mods that let you work your way up from diddling around in an Oberth to an ungodly rape machine of doom...
>>
>>53202748
I'll summarize so as not to bore.

>Vulcan who joined Star Fleet as soon as he was able. Believed in it. Believed in it hard.
>Did much good for many people in his early career.
>An idealist and a great believer in the inherent goodness of all sapient entities.
>Shitty little pioneer ship captain, field promotion that in those carefree days.
>Good times. His best years. Many friends. Many good deeds done.
>~200 years later.
>He's a cynical old bastard full of bile and poison.
>His friends are dead, his ideals compromised and all he held dear rendered unrecognizable.
>He still tries to do the right thing, he really does, but his fuse is short and his ire boundless.
>No he isn't taking the old uniform off. It's the Star Fleet he joined, the Star Fleet worth joining.
>>
>>53202748
Most backstory I've done is for a science alium.

So you know how in Bride Of Chaotica there's this race of photonic aliens who think biochemical life is a simulation? Voayger played that for laughs, but what if the scenario was played seriously? So a science vessel runs into a subspace anomaly and the crew ends up in one of those simulations. A redshirt or two ends up "repurposed" by the simulation, and eventually the photonic masters realize something's wrong but think it's just a glitch in the program. The ship crew end up working with the biochemical programs to try and get the fuck out of dodge before the system can reboot, killing everyone as everything is consumed to be repurposed. During those events, one of those programs is interested by the idea of life as an actual person and not a mere program to be used and recreated at will, and ends up joining the crew as they escape back to normal space.

So that's the backstory to one of my characters, an alien from another dimension created to serve as a recreational simulation for a race of photonic aliens, now adjusting to a normal life as a person unto themselves.
>>
>>53203012
I will be deeply disappointed if he doesn't look like Clint Eastwood with pointy ears...

Also, has he realized that everything is bullshit and given up emotional repression for the grumpiness that is a logical response to the stupidity of everything?
>>
File: IMG_2145.jpg (220KB, 1512x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2145.jpg
220KB, 1512x864px
>>53202748
So I've a couple worth mentioning.

My Romulan, Kharrus, I have as the second son of a powerful Romulan Senator. His elder brother was expected to take the Family seat, so he did the done thing and joined the military. He played a bit part in the Dominion War as an adjutant to an Admiral and ended up with his own command after the war.

By the time that Romulus get's destroyed, Kharrus' family are major detractors of Sela and her Tal Shiar allies. Accordingly, when Sela takes power, Kharrus' brother and close family all die under mysterious circumstances. Kharrus knew enough to disappear before the Tal Shiar came looking and took up residence on a colony. In short order he got involved with the Republican movement and became an operative.

By the time of STO, he's a major player in Republic Intelligence services. Rather than actually being Admiral (you), I have Kharrus as one of their contacts. Sort of like that spook from the Delta Rising arc.
>>
File: IMG_2003.jpg (210KB, 1488x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2003.jpg
210KB, 1488x864px
>>53203373
Then there's my Fed-Cardassian, Skoran. He was an early attempt to introduce Cardassians into Starfleet service. After a spotty record, he got dishcharged and returned to the Cardassian Defence Forces.

Now he's a privateer for the Cardassian Union, hunting down smugglers and True Way convoys and redistributing their supplies to loyal Cardassian citizens. And sometimes killing Klingons, because when you're Cardassian, killing Klingons seems like a good idea.
>>
>>53203470
Reminds me of my KDF cardie who's trying to make enough to buy her own Galor/Keldon through privateer work, salvage, and smuggling illegal instant ramen packs.
>>
>>53203159
Oh holy fucking shit yes he has.

Total emotional repression is not the logical conclusion if you are tying to build a sustainable society that actually does stuff. Like not stagnate. In a species as fucking unstable as Vulcans it is a necessary first step towards mastering emotions and riding them, for one thing it means your sanity and impulse control remains intact.

He looks more like Victor Meldrew with pointy ears and a beard.
>>
File: stviklingshakespeare.jpg (40KB, 457x232px) Image search: [Google]
stviklingshakespeare.jpg
40KB, 457x232px
>>53202748
I haven't played STO in ages, but my main Klingon dude was Khamlet, son of Khamlet.

Other than the gag name I didn't really RP at all. 'course, at the time there wasn't any PvE content whatsoever for Klingons...
>>
>>53202748

I don't roleplay my characters. There's little point in an MMO I fear. My characters generally have a little snippit about them if I feel arsed to write one, but in general it's something short and to the point.

My Klingon's is: "[character] is a Klingon. Figure it out."

I'm not sure I'd write about any of the characters given an open prompt because of my contempt for fan fiction, and the fact that any good ideas you had you no longer own in any meaningful capacity once you start playing in fanfiction pool.

Word to the wise: Fanfiction is for exercising your writing muscles. Keep your good ideas for your own creations, lest the owners of the property take them from you.
>>
File: hardly worth it.png (1000KB, 911x934px) Image search: [Google]
hardly worth it.png
1000KB, 911x934px
>>53202748
This is the one I put the most effort into:
>Lady Millia Dietz Melda-Td-Miezela is the Second Half-Princess of the First House of Riatorf'ld-Detzdl 'a Melda, Arch-Duchess of Candh Bletxkii, Duchess of Candh Pollkis, Sub-Barroness of Foriils-Td-Gulsd, Cantor of Pried Skozlku, Cantoness of Pried a'Tir, and Meister of Pried Lotandkltiigarf (as she is always introduced), from the small Tyldirran colony world of Riatorf'ld, near the old Cardassian border. Though rather young, she had a lot of responsibility on her planet (not all the titles are strictly honorary). However, she chose to join Starfleet to avoid a marriage with a much older half-sibling that she did not like in the slightest (and which would have added another seventeen titles to her name). The life of a cadet rather suited her (especially working with EPS conduits), but her natural talents and leadership experience made her stand out, even well before graduation. With the Klingon War raging, and the return of the Borg (among other issues), Starfleet was looking everywhere for those with the ability to command - ships are easy to replace, but not experienced officers. Lady Melda was a shoe-in, after taking command during a Borg attack and saving her ship.
Made her after reading some Jane Austin or Honor Harrington or something. Eventually married one of the same species boffs that had a similar story as her, to get them both out of political bs marriages. Also, all-female race. Well, I guess they're technically hermaphroditic, but no penis anywhere.
>>
File: 1492917439562.jpg (12KB, 239x211px) Image search: [Google]
1492917439562.jpg
12KB, 239x211px
>>53204685
How long did it take you to think up all those titles?
>>
>>53205812
If he's anything like me he just sat on his keyboard and added royal titles until it made (grammatical) sense.
>>
>>53204309
There's no reason you can't write it for your own enjoyment and adapt it further on down the line. That's actually how I ended up getting my first short story published. It started off as a little fluff piece for a Star Wars game I was going to run. I decided that the core concept was entertaining on it's own and removed any references to star wars. That being said, I've written other stuff that wouldn't work outside of an established universe and I'm quite content for it to remain entirely dependent on prior familiarity.

As for loosing ownership of my rp material, if somebody wants to steal my "Captain Bligh, but in space" character idea, they're more than welcome.
>>
>>53207349
I'm inclined to agree. Fan fiction and licensed work is generally only enjoyable with context. Even then, a lot of it is garbage. If you find something that is enjoyable without the context of its pre-established setting, there's no reason it can't exist as it's own standalone thing.
>>
>>53194079
I found the duck, can you?
upper pylon, near left edge of saucer

Any other deck plan Easter eggs?
>>
>>53205812
Basically >>53205851 . I wanted it to be pretty ridiculous (like Lwaxana), but familiar. I decided I wanted a name for a duchy, a barony, and a township, and just started typing letters to make words. Then the place-names I also just typed letters. I figured that titles would fall under the universal translator, plus wouldn't make sense if they were just random ayy titles. Basically I wanted to give the idea of a rather complicated aristocratic bureaucracy.
>>
>>53210191
There is a bicycle under the main shuttle bay in between the yellow shuttles
There is a spy, or mysterious dude on the second saucer deck on the right most edge, at the end of the turbolift shaft, running in to a doorway
There is a boat to the right of the lower "cap" on the computer core
An R2 unit one deck up and slightly left from the computer core
>>
>>53210435
Weyland-Yutani logo under the impulse engine.
>>
>>53202941
I like the subtle implication that Starfleet uses laser pointers to trick Caitians into signing up.
>>
>>53211168
Shark in the section behind the torpedo launcher, just above the deflector
>>
>>53203373
My third Rom alt, Shirara, has almost the exact same backstory, only the brother was her dad. And rather than being in the Republic by choice, she's only in it to preserve what was left of her family's influence, and hates D'Tan almost as much as the Imperialists, but has a personal grudge against Sela and her lackeys.
>>
>>53212198

Car five decks above the shark
Flux capacitor left of the warp core
Some of the legend descriptions
>>
File: IMG_2198.jpg (211KB, 1512x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2198.jpg
211KB, 1512x864px
>>
>>53202748
Well I had 4 characters I played regularly.

>Human Captain, survivor of Battle of Vega and after was assigned captain of several ships, usually due to prior CO dying or some shit (my explanation of the switching between ships) currently is CO of Monarch Class Exploration Cruiser and it was something running joke that everyone thinks his ship is Galaxy Class, which irritated the character to no end.

>Klingon Engineer: This one was kinda different take on the normal Honor&Glory Klingons as he is actual engineer who built himself a energy Batleth (those ones you got from the NotYoda Ferengi from that Q Christmas Land) most memorable moment is him getting threatened by Klingon Trill going all "muh honor" and my character is more interested of the design and materials of the daggers the Trill was waving during her hissyfit and suggesting he could forge better ones for her.

>Cardassian Science Officer, made with the Alien Race and with some isntructions how to make Cardie from the Forums. Became the Cardassian Liason officer of the Fleet I was rping, lost his family during the Dominion War when Founder gave the order of the Jem'hadar to start killing Cardassians so he hates most Dominion things but especially Jem'hadar.

>Ferengi Engineer/Barkeep, I made this character when I got the Ferengi D'Kora out of Lock Box and fleet needed a barkeepe for regular rp in the Starbase. Former offcer in the Ferengi Fleet such as it is. respects Grand Nagus Roms reforms as he sees Rules of Acquisition as more of guideline than actual thing to wrap your whole life around. Quite honest for a Ferengi trader, sold protective suits and other stuff to Romulan Republic when that started.
>>
File: Crimes of space suit dave.jpg (454KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Crimes of space suit dave.jpg
454KB, 1920x1080px
>>53202748
Here are my three human captains.
>Captain from Mirror universe who survived Leetas purge of her competitors and fled to the prime universe where he has been working to undermine Leeta
>TOS captain who got temporally displaced (canon due to the game) and now just appears as an eccentric admiral who pulls hundred year old ships out of the mothballs so he can internally refit them slightly and then fly them to the final frontier, also forces the entire crew to wear old stylish uniform
>WoK styled captain aka Space suit Dave, going around wearing old Federation uniforms and forcing his bridge crew to wear them also, is also using the old stylish phasers both as ship weapons and as personal weapons (not much story here, just a flavor character).
>>
>>53211833
I can't find it, but theres a comic about a Catian bridge officer onboard the Enterprise
>>
>>53216131
You talking about the one where she's just a cat?
>>
>>53202748
>a normal Starfleet captain that got stuck in the mirror universe for a few years and then came back with some "interesting ideas" that got him bumped front line deployment.
>>
File: 1478639129641.jpg (943KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1478639129641.jpg
943KB, 1200x1200px
>>53216131
>>
File: 1392434068.isane_dsc01640.jpg (115KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1392434068.isane_dsc01640.jpg
115KB, 1280x960px
>>53218273
>>
>>53218273
That's the one, thanks anon
>>
File: 2014-11-07_00003.jpg (295KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-07_00003.jpg
295KB, 1920x1080px
Make sure to always bring your lolis on diplomatic missions.
>>
>>53218273
For the record, that's an actual character from TAS
>>
>>53221965
>>
File: USS Hornet by AdamKop.jpg (964KB, 2600x1400px) Image search: [Google]
USS Hornet by AdamKop.jpg
964KB, 2600x1400px
>>
File: 2014-05-05_00001.jpg (668KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2014-05-05_00001.jpg
668KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>53222553
Is there more of this? There's something slightly off about the spacing on the engines but otherwise looks decent.
>>
File: 1492312817128.jpg (32KB, 189x189px) Image search: [Google]
1492312817128.jpg
32KB, 189x189px
>Watching Chain Of Command and Picard gets tortured
>>
>>53223564
Damn good two-parter, though.
>>
File: Captain picard day.jpg (58KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
Captain picard day.jpg
58KB, 500x382px
>>53223564
>>
>>53223564
another episode where the cardassians prove to be the best aliens in trek.
>>
>>53223564
How many lights do you see, detective?
>>
>>53223616
This. It probably has to do with the structure of DS9. By being a static show, it forced the writers to use longer narratives and to develop the major players. Hence we know more about the Cardassians and Bajorans than the Romulans.
>>
>>53223935
Early on, I often felt like the Cardassians were meant to be the Romulans but somewhere along the line they decided to go with a different aesthetic. The Romulans were criminally underused.
>>
>>53224327
I think they designed the Cardassians to be dime-store Romulans, for when they wanted to use Romulans but didn't want to over-use Romulans.
>>
>>53224384
I think they needed the kind of friend/enemy thing that Romulans are but that were not anywhere near as much of a threat so they'd have somewhere to escalate from.
>>
>>53223564
>>53223616
>>53223663
>>53223935
>>53224327
>>53224384
I love that episode where O'brien gets captured and sent to trial on Cardassia and you learn everybody that goes on trial is guilty until proven guilty, you see some of the worst aspects of humanity in the Cardassians and then you understand that they've just got a truly alien mindset, they can be a deeply spiritual and philosophical species that was in contact with Bajor a thousand years ago but at the same time their lizard-brains are different and they have to punish the guilty so that the people and state prosper.
>>
File: Traja, Hsakku, Evelyn.png (2MB, 1403x952px) Image search: [Google]
Traja, Hsakku, Evelyn.png
2MB, 1403x952px
>>53202748
I...tend to go on for a bit. I come up with backstories at the drop of a hat, though Traja is basically "Romulan Worf".

>What'd you write about them if you were just given an open prompt?

>Traja
Definitely a mirror universe story where she has to deal with her Mirror counterpart. I believe in the Mirror universe Romulus wasn't destroyed, so Mirror her would be much more stereo typically Romulan, and have a connection to the Senate in the form of her dad.

>Hsakku
Something something fuck Klingons something something acquire bitches.

>Evelyn Medina
It would involve her trying to take shore leave on Risa, getting interrupted by Daniels trying to be friendly, and involve her chewing out him for removing her from her proper time while simultaneously decrying all the stupid stuff about the 25th Century as opposed to the 24th.
>>
File: 1364528516412.jpg (195KB, 500x484px) Image search: [Google]
1364528516412.jpg
195KB, 500x484px
>>53224599
>that episode where the female cardassian scientist thinks miles was wanting to marry her because they kept arguing
>when you realize that every time someone was telling dukat or garak to fuck off they thought it meant they were being friends
Tsundere
>>
>>53224327
good thing Romulans are completely neutered by the time of Nemesis/JJtrek!
>>
>>53224645
>Bajorans are easily one of the most verbally aggressive species in the franchise
>which meant Cardassians saw them all as being a bunch of tubosluts
No wonder Dukat had a fetish
>>
>>53224384

Also, they're alien enemies that *gasp* actually look alien, which is always nice in Trek.
>>
>>53224599
From the Cardassians' perspective, they'd only put someone on trial if they knew they were guilty so the trial is a formality. To suggest that someone actually on trial was innocent would be to suggest that the authorities are incompetent.
>>
>>53224599
I prefer the long view that, like the Klingons and Vulcans have also been shown to be, the Cardassians aren't a uniform and timeless monoculture. Because they are just insane, and so close to Bajor it makes little sense that they'd only invade about 50 years prior to DS9 if they'd really been this totalitarian, grasping state since time immemorial.
>>
>>53224762

I can't remember if it's canon or not, but I was under the impression Cardassia occupied Bajor for its resources because it fucked up all its own colony worlds.
>>
>>53224762
well in Chain of Command we learned that Cardassia was a learned highly spiritual world that probably mirrored Bajor but overpopulation and famine forced them into desperation and a military junta. So even though the Gul that interrogated Picard lamented that the beautiful sculptures and tombs were sold off to fund the war "he never had to worry about his daughter going hungry".

I don't think Cardassians are a monoculture like Klingons but I think out of necessity they had to embrace Fascism/Aggressive colonization and imperialism.

Maybe after the Dominion War and the federation rebuilt them they could return to their spiritual ways and make amends with Bajor.
>>
>>53224762
>Because they are just insane, and so close to Bajor it makes little sense that they'd only invade about 50 years prior to DS9 if they'd really been this totalitarian, grasping state since time immemorial.
I think the backstory has the Cardies being a normal, religious folk until a massive famine fucked their culture up just a few decades prior to the series.
>>
>>53224681
Kira must have been a walking wet dream to him. Her mom, too.

>>53224762
There had been contact a long, long time ago. Dukat discovered Bajoran lightship ruins on Cardassia Prime after Sisko made his little trip. I suspect based on what we saw on camera, the current culture had been dominant for a few hundred but less than a thousand years - a long time, to be sure, but not enough to leave a significant mark on their biology. That's why you had Cardassians breaking type all the time on DS9.
>>
>>53224645
What do Cardassians do when they actually want someone to fuck off?
>>
>>53224931
Cold shoulder.
>>
>>53224931
Be as friendly and polite as possible. Like Garak. Whenever Garak is actually friendly with someone, it's unsettling as fuck because you know he's plotting about three dozen different ways to kill them with no evidence.
>>
>>53225003
But Cardassians love to talk. Shunning is probably the worst treatment for them.
>>
>>53225003
No, he'd already have plotted them and the conversation is creepy because his demeanor is the most obvious facade in the universe.
>>
>>53224599
The bloody cardies can't be trusted.
>>
>>53223564
That's what they where aiming for with those scenes.

If I remember correctly, production staff decided to make the torture scenes as real they could for a TV show. For that reason they interviewed Amnesty International people about the subject and got folder of pictures of what real torture does to people.
>>
>>53225881
Star Fleet actively punished people for pointing this out.
>>
I always found it interesting how the Cardassians were such a threat but were outclassed by pretty much every other major power in the galaxy. I think like 3 Galor Class were equal to 1 Galaxy Class Fed ship.
>>
>>53227790
>obsidian order builds like 1500 Galor ships in secret
>they get destroyed by jemhadar in 10 minutes
>>
>>53227932
It was about 40 Keldons, mate
>>
>>53228466
It was a Monster group number of Gomtuu-class supercruisers, anon.
>>
>>53228466
>>53228471
Even less. 5 D'Deridex Warbirds and 15 Keldon cruisers.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_the_Omarion_Nebula
>>
>>53227790
Aye, the Cardassians struggled to Match Starfleet's new heavy hitters. Perhaps the Keldon was an attempt to do that. However the bulk of Starfleet's ships are less powerful than a Galaxy class. A Miranda or a New Orleans class is going to have a much harder time winning an even fight.
>>
>>53227790
It might be down to attitude.

Of the Alpha Quadrant powers the only 3 that reliably produce substantial amounts of people willing to fight and die for the state are Klingons, Breen and Cardassians.
>>
>>53228677
I'd say the Romulans are capable, too.
>>
>>53228918
Capable, sure. Moreso than the three he listed; that's why they don't rush in to the meatgrinder that is a hero ship's corridors.
>>
>>53228918
I can't speak for the Breen, but we see and hear that both the Klingons and Cardassians are willing to let their own people suffer starvation and depletion to win offensive wars. By comparison, for all their bluster, the Romulans are actually fairly cagey about the notion of getting involved in a conventional war.

Time and time again, their strategies hinge on infiltrating the enemy to land a killing blow. To enforce an action that precludes their enemies from fighting back. Even when the shooting starts, they're very quick to retreat back inside their own borders and invite their enemies to try something.

To paraphrase Counsellor Troi from "The Neutral Zone"(because for the life of me I can't find the actual quote): "They will not start anything. They will wait for you to act."
>>
>>53229075
To summarise, the Romulans are the "Not touching! Can't get mad!" Of interstellar empires.
>>
>>53229098
They're the best at being dicks
>>
>>53229098
I think it's because that while the Federation are the enemies of the Romulan Empire, any one who actually gets into a war with them is going to get thrown under the bus. Observing each other handling the Federation is probably how they determine weakness in each other as well.

Consider Tomalak. He always shows up on an attack vector, maybe fires just hard enough to shake the bridge and makes grandiose war speeches, then he crosses his arms and waits for Picard to start shooting.
>>
>>53228587
Oh shit I just had a thought, since Cardassians are outclassed by most faction in the Alpha, Beta and Gamma Quadrants, what if they managed to get a foothold into the Delta Quadrant? Considering how shit most of the tech is there I could see them taking over quite a bit.
>>
>>53229747
Until they run into the Borg, at which point they just form a squishy life line that leads back to the Alpha quadrant.
>>
>>53229747
>Voyager, except with Gul Evec as the primary antagonist, essentially proclaiming himself god-king of the Kazon

What could have been, anon. What could have been.
>>
>>53229075
>The Neutral Zone

An otherwise good episode with a terrible b-plot.
>>
>>53229575
>Captain, I'm reading a tachyon surge thirty degrees port-side on our ventral aft -
>Recommend we raise shields and charge phasers, sir
>Noted, Mr Worf, Mr Data, can you identify the -
>Romulan Warbird decloaking, they're firing!
*bridge rocks as the Warbird's disruptors flare against the Enterprise shields*
>Hail them!
>Opening channel -
>Tomalak! What is the meaning of -
>I FUCKED YOUR MUM M8 end transmission
>They've gone to warp!
>>
>>53228550
An execution force, not a warfleet.

>>53229747
There was that Keldon (or was it a Galor) class that was sucked into the DQ by the Caretaker prior to Voyager's arrival.

>>53230250
He did just kind of... disappear, didn't he?

I would imagine that Kazon space would be a very different region even by the time Voyager reached Earth, considering how many disparate ships and races the Caretaker dragged into the middle of it.

As for the Cardassians... assuming they did try to get home, and given that Equinox and Voyager had radically different early experiences which were based on all kinds of factors, it's possible that the Cardassian ship headed toward the Gamma Quadrant and ended up meeting the Dominion's rear echelon.

Knowing their luck, about the time that Cardassia seceded from the Dominion, but before Odo had left the AQ.
>>
>>53224599
>they've just got a truly alien mindset

Eh...

>>53224735
>From the Cardassians' perspective, they'd only put someone on trial if they knew they were guilty so the trial is a formality. To suggest that someone actually on trial was innocent would be to suggest that the authorities are incompetent.

This is literally how the Japanese "justice" system works so it's a stretch to call the cardie courts all that alien.
>>
>>53227790
The Cardassians are like Brazil or South Africa. They're a regional power that can bully their immediate neighbors but get their shit stomped by any of the actual real powers.
>>
>>53230451
I am now imagining Cardassians wearing short shorts. Nice.
>>
>>53230350
It's inferred that he died chasing Chakotay. But there's an episode of Voyager where 7 goes full conspiracy-nut and seems to discover evidence that the caretaker sent the Cardassians home.
>>
>>53231639
There's some Beta-Canon [distant echo of disgusted screeching] that deals with Evec. Supposedly after the Dominion War he became a traditionalist and led the anti-Federation faction on Cardassia.
>>
>>53225003
>he's plotting about three dozen different ways to kill them with no evidence.

ONLY three dozen?
>>
File: chtorr vs trek.jpg (108KB, 600x778px) Image search: [Google]
chtorr vs trek.jpg
108KB, 600x778px
>>53232545
The others leave evidence to scare off future attempts at bugging him.
>>
>>53224831
yeah but

replicators
>>
>>53229075
>but we see and hear that both the Klingons and Cardassians are willing to let their own people suffer starvation and depletion to win offensive wars. By comparison, for all their bluster, the Romulans are actually fairly cagey
The Romulans don't need a war to put their citizens to privation, just Tuesday.
>>
>>53230441
I know everyone and their mother associates TNG-era Klingons with feudal samurai, but post-war Japan is probably a good allegory to post-war Cardassia. Society that prizes rule of law and servitude to the state, just got blown the fuck out, now has to rebuild their society while reconciling their beliefs of self-superiority, and they're totally going to deny that those war crimes with Bajor ever happened because it's impolite to talk about such things.
>>
>>53233333
Clearly they didn't have the matter/energy to keep a relicator network working. Gul Madrid talks about starving on Cardassia when he was a child.
>>
>>53233333
Replicators are a very recent invention even for the Federation, and it's very probable the Cardassians didn't have them yet.
>>
I wonder how the new mainline battleship triumvirate of Sovereign-Negh'var-Mogai works. Is the Sovereign just outright better than the other two, but less common? Does the Negh'var have stronger weapons, but is more fragile?

I'd be happy to watch a series set in the early 2390's just to see.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>53233333
>>
>>53234235
Well, what little we saw of the Mogai in Nemesis wasn't exceptionally impressive (though god damn they're beautiful). Honestly, I find it weird that they're being considered in the same weight class as the Sovereign and Negh'Var. They seemed more like cruisers than dreadnoughts.
>>
>>53234860
>new Romulan standard battleship is the Scimitar class
>>
>>53230731
The Cardassian phaser rifle was totally an AK or a FAL analogue to the Starfleet phaser rifle's M16. Of course this is before the TNG movies and Voyager invented the man-portable artillery versions that line up a bit better with the fluff around Starfleet phaser specs.

>>53235474
"Admiral Janeway has just authorized the mass production and deployment of transphasic torpedoes for all ships in Starfleet."
>>
>>53234860
This desu, the ones we saw in The One With Bane seemed more akin to Akiras or Nebbies in hitting power, if not in the torpspam/space magic departments.
>>
Have we ever seen what happens at the Gamma-Delta border? That's squarely within Borg Space on the Delta side, and presumably the Dominion on the Gamma side. It might explain how the Borg developed "maturation chambers" between TNG and Voyager, since that looks a lot like Jem'Hadar breeding tech.
>>
>>53236185
No because that would involve thinking about the implications of shit, Star Trek is no about that.
>>
>>53236185
Borg and Dominion don't own the entirety of their respective quadrants, just like the UFP/Klinks/Roms/Kardies don't have the entirety of the Alpha or Beta under their thumbs
>>
>>53236185
I think the production explanation is just that the drawer they kept babies in on the first borg cube we saw is a sort of maturation chamber, and those babies had been assimilated rather than bred or cloned. Can't remember the quote but I'm thinking one of the Ricks said it.

>>53236494
This. The Federation is low hundreds of worlds even if you include non-members like Bajor, but many of them are relatively close together - Earth and Vulcan are only 16ly apart, and even if you take "worlds" as a typo for "systems" then it's still not that impressive.

It's a little screwed up because of the way TOS screwed it up - space is just kind of this huge place, like a donut with a barrier to the middle of the galaxy and one around the outside, and of course we know this because the Enterprise had smashed both for a little giggle. "What does God need with a starship?" "Bitch please, you've come like 35,000 light years in a week just to find me, that's hella God's starship you're riding." "Urite" MOVIE OVER, EVERBODY GOES HOME WITH GOD

Heck, Voyager probably visited more worlds or mentioned them in passing on-screen than the Federation comprises. One of the things Voyager really did well was adding a sense of scale to the Trek galaxy.

The Dominion's on-screen holdings amounts to about 10 named systems and planets, but are presumably quite vast; Borg space is also vast - but a 9,500 light year jump takes Voyager clear of it (after travelling an unknown distance into Borg space), so it can't be quadrant-spanning. Presumably both the Borg and Dominion, lacking James T. Kirks of their own, are also held back by the galactic barriers - which would make the possible size of their territories, like the route of Voyager, dependent on the size of that barrier-covered area.
>>
>>53236811
>Borg
In fairness, they might have crossed Borg territory at a relatively narrow point; we have no idea what shape their (presumably approximately the size of the original Xbox) space is, and Voyager might have just been lucky. After all, there are references to millions of cubes at some points
>>
>>53235956
Admiral Janeway has retroactively declared peace with the Dominion before Section 31 infected the Founders with the morphogenic virus, retroactively nullifying any alleged war crimes.

Admiral Janeway has authorized the mass production and deployment of disruptors for all Starfleet personnel and ships.

Admiral Janeway has issued a general order to all Starfleet personnel: stop being such fucking pussies.
>>
>>53236974
This plus a temporal incursion way back to prehistoric Earth was actually the fork point of the mirror universe.
>>
>>
>>53240044
>USS Nomad

why don't you just call it the USS Hitler
>>
>>53240148
I have literally no idea what you are referencing.
>>
>>53240232
really?

you don't remember the Nomad probe killing all those people?
>>
>>53240301
That's not what I think of when I read 'nomad', so for the purpose of this: no.
>>
>>53240148
It just so happens to be a name with an unfortunate alternative meaning. The 23rd century version of The Young Turks.
>>
>>53240044
Late TOS movie era Excelsior bridges are the best.
>perfect layout
>perfect size
>best MSD/LCARS colorscheme
>none of the TOS era extraneous beep boop whistles and clicky buttons
>>
>>53240148
Can you do that? I need to know. I literally have my finger on the download button, anon.
>>
>>53241636
That whole era is peak aesthetic for Star Trek as far as I am concerned.
>>
>>53241636
That's not LCARS.
>>
>>
>>
File: 1328573652458.gif (2MB, 420x181px) Image search: [Google]
1328573652458.gif
2MB, 420x181px
>>
>>53243157

Is Bev's reflection supposed to be that thick?
>>
>>53243251
Yes.
>>
>>53194079
>>53210435
>>53211168
>>53212198
There is a boat (the kind for water) on the bottom level of the saucer section.
>>
>>53242751
Pretty sure it's counted as LCARS
>>
>>53242864
>>53242768
>>53242740
Would be perfect, completely perfect, if it wasn't for that step down in the middle.
>>
File: Glass Bank apartment.jpg (63KB, 609x465px) Image search: [Google]
Glass Bank apartment.jpg
63KB, 609x465px
>>53244923
you just don't understand the 60s aesthetic anon
>>
>>53243251
It's edited weirdly
>>
>>53244923
Eh, the conn's a bit too close, makes it feel kinda cramped.
>>
"Guys, we're upgrading the Miranda. What should we call the new class?"

"How about naming it after the ship best known for being hijacked by a pre-warp Earth dictator, almost destroying the Federation flagship, and being destroyed by a protomatter weapon of mass destruction when we're currently dealing with protomatter weapons of mass destruction?"

"Sounds great!"
>>
>>53249583
I am still pretty miffed by the fact that the T6 Connie was a fucking luck box only ship.
>>
>>53249583
Seemingly they kept using the name after that. Picard served as an ensign aboard a ship named the Reliant.
>>
>>53249583
>Additionally, we’ve also added new “Saratoga” variant parts based on the ill-fated starship Benjamin Sisko served on during the Battle of Worf 359.

Well shit.
>>
>>53251113
Also they are giving the old gal a facelift.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10502823
>>
>>53249583
>Christening of the first Reliant class ship
>The bottle smashing against the hull triggers a catastrophic warp core breach
>All hands lost
>>
>>53251136
Today Cryptic weren't completely terrible
>>
>>53229747
Depends which part of the Delta Quadrant. Sure they would squash the Kazon and Vidiians under their heels pretty fast, but if they ended up in Hirogen or Krenim territory they'd get picked apart pretty fast, and obviously there's the Borg problem.
>>
>>53251113
I'm holding out hope for a Soyuz variant.
>>
>>53252970
Not going to happen, at least not anytime soon.
>>
>>53252970
>>53253189
It's a shame, too, seeing as it shiKahr class already has most of the Soyuz body-shape down.
>>
>>53251773
Species 8472 would wreck their shit.
>>
>>53254917
As would the Voth. Or those decadent fops with the wormhole generator
>>
>>53254982
Some retarded Gul would probably try to suck up to the Voth and convince them they had a stronger claim on Earth, and promptly get his ship vaporized for promoting the distant-origin heresy.
>>
>>53254982
>Or those decadent fops with the wormhole generator

Just rewatched that episode and it reminded me how fucking great Tuvok was.
>>
>>53251773
Voyager spent something like three years before they hit Borg space, and that was through constantly heading back home. If the Cardassians somehow had a stable wormhole or controlled the Caretaker's array and could bring ships to and from at will, they'd have a fuck-ton of space to fuck around in before even sniffing the Borg, with only the Kazon, Vidiians and Haakonians to deal with.
>>
>>53257064
How fast are Galors and Keldors anyways? I can't imagine they'd make anywhere near as good a time as the USS Speedy Gonzales Totally-not-a-spy-ship Voyager. That would put Borg space 4-5 years of fast travel away for the cardies.
>>
>>53257881
Only source I know on their speed is the DS9 Technical Manual, which claims an observed top speed of Warp 9.6 for both.
>>
>>53257881
And again, that's a continuous direct path. If they had a foothold and a stable connection back to Cardassian space, they'd be doing their best to make the Kazon and others their bitches instead of flying headlong as fast as they could at the Borg.
>>
>>53257881
they'd take a lot longer than that if what >>53257958 said is right, speeds increase really fucking fast at high warp factors, seeing that the prometheus (warp 9.99) is around two times faster than the intrepid (9.975)

someone with the proper warp factor calculator could give better numbers tho
>>
>>53259030
here http://www.anycalculator.com/warpcalculator.htm
>warp 9.975 = ~13485 times light speed
>warp 9.6 = ~2949 times light speed
>>
>>53259063
Jesus fuck no wonder they recalibrated the warp scale in the All Good Things future.
>>
>>53259325

Even though the TOS one was at times all over the place, they should have just stuck with it.

There's a table on this page that shows the TOS vs. TNG scales.

>http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/treknology/warp6.htm
>>
>>53259940
>>53259325
>>53259063
So where does Traswarp and slipstream drive figure in to all this?
>>
File: Excelsior_class_refit_MSD.jpg (411KB, 2599x1327px) Image search: [Google]
Excelsior_class_refit_MSD.jpg
411KB, 2599x1327px
>>53260147

Transwarp and slipstream are two separate things, apparently that achieve similar results. In STO the slipstream is a "go faster than normal warp" engine, and transwarp is just a teleport to fixed locations, which isn't what we see in the show.

And then there's Underspace. Which is something the Turei use, that I guess they stole from the Vaadwaur. I guess it's faster than warp, or harder to track ships that are in it, and only goes to certain places or something.

Transwarp apparently has corridors, so it goes to specific places (or maybe transwarp drives can go anywhere faster than normal warp, but the corridors are faster still). VOY really muddied the waters.
>>
>>53260147
Transwarp and slipstream are both drives, not speeds. They just go faster than normal space warping.
>>
>>53260147
Think of it this way. The normal warp factors work off fan exponential curve, where 0 is motionlessness, 1 is the speed of light and 10 is infinite speed. Transwarp and Slipstream speeds make up the tiniest portions of the end of that scale.
>>
>>53260271
>Transwarp apparently has corridors, so it goes to specific places (or maybe transwarp drives can go anywhere faster than normal warp, but the corridors are faster still). VOY really muddied the waters.

The transwarp hubs the Borg maintained seem likely to have just been a more convenient way of sending vessels long-distance from a centralized power base. Anything that tracks them back to source by re-opening the corridor (like the Enterprise-D once did) is fucked; but the efficiencies of scale implied by the existence of hubs to maintain a large territory and expand on it don't in turn imply that vessels are incapable of forming a transwarp corridor independent of the network. In fact, even if the hubs can force an exit aperture anywhere (and that would explain in part why they're so damn big - most of what isn't power generation is going to be targeting scanners), the opening and maintenance of the corridors seems to require significant power, hence both the internal supports to the corridors and the heavily structured system itself. In short, they maintain permanent corridors on main routes, but their very large vessels can probably manage just fine without it, albeit at a far higher energy cost.

Since the borg are presumably constantly updating and refining their propulsion technology, their transwarp drives likely utilize quantum slipstream tech to some degree.

Underspace might be a similar, if dilapidated, construct to the borg network - perhaps even something their antecedents, direct or assimilated, created. 200 light years in 5 minutes certainly sounds like transwarp.
>>
>>53260861

It isn't that I don't understand transwarp and how it works as shown in the show. My point was that VOY introduced us to additional info on transwarp, and then threw two more "warp speed, but faster" techs at us for good measure.
>>
>>53260861
My theory is that individual ships can go transwarp, but it's a lot slower. They're basically tunneling - this is what the Ent-D was using in "Descent" - but they will collapse on their own in time. Meanwhile, the whole transwarp network the Borg have set up are like the supports of the tunnels, keeping them open so ships can go through easily and freely, getting from the DQ to right outside Earth in a matter of hours.
The Underspace might be a naturally-occurring sort of Transwarp, or artificial ones that some Ancient Ayylmaos left behind.
>>
>>
>>53262340

I can't read. Is that the USS Tigershark?
>>
>>53262612
Yes
>>
>>53260837
It's a stupid way of counting speeds, incidentally.
>>
>>53251138
>Reliant docked at Drozana
>Three of her officers are playing poker against some aliens
>All hands lost
>>
>>53263691
Not all scales need to be linear. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithmic_scale
>>
>>53263822
>>53264139

>Miranda testing new warp drive
>Captain orders them to warp 9.9999678
>Lieutenant at the helm mishears him
>warp 9.9999876
>SIF canna take it
>All hands lost
>>
>>53264267
In that case the captain'd say
>go to maximum warp
>>
>>53264762
what if maximum warp is 9.9999679 but he still just wants 9.9999678?
>>
>>53264762

Assuming of course, that the maximum warp is warp 9.9999678 and not say, warp 9.999969.
>>
>>53264845
>>53264853
the difference is way too small to matter anons
>>
>>53264947
Logarithmic scale actually does make it a pretty fair difference, so it IS an issue.
>>
>>53264947
that's the problem, the closer you get to 10 it matters more, not less.

personally I always just imagined that in the future after ds9/voyager they'd eventually come up with a new warp scale when cruising speeds of 9.9x become common and things like transwarp become normal
>>
>>53265075
Can't go above 4 or something without special orders, gotta prevent that space global warming.
>>
File: 1404250611483.jpg (109KB, 640x638px) Image search: [Google]
1404250611483.jpg
109KB, 640x638px
Trekfags, I never watched the series, but I remember watching one episode on television like 13 or so years ago.
The ship was stuck in some sort of groundhog day, the day kept repeating and they kept getting destroyed by an enemy ship.
In the end they finally managed to send a message trough time or something and escape their destruction.

I fucking loved that episode, can anyone direct me to it? I'd love to watch it again. Ever since I catched that I have a thing for time travel stuff in films/series.
>>
>>53265083
possibly next generation "cause and effect"
>>
>>53265082
Nah, they fixed that. First they had to give ships nacelle shoulder parts that go up, like on the Bellerophon, but eventually they just figured out how to make the problem go away.
>>
>>53265279
Well they might as well have just had Geordi spout some technobabble at the end of the episode in that case.
Is this alpha or beta canon?
>>
>>53265075
STO actually does this. Once you get above about 9.75, you start using the Transwarp scale, which is basically just a renaming of the super high warp factors, so WF 9.972 becomes Transwarp Factor 12, or whathaveyou.
>>
>>53265289
Little of A, little of B. They mention it in Voyager's design, how it has the waggly-wings because of that lady who an hero'd herself, but then ships after that (Enterprise 6.0) go back to normal stanchions, and do warp bajillion, and they never bring it up again.
>>
>>53265308
I'm frankly amazed that they referenced a tech discovery/advancement from a previous series at all.
>>
>>53265279
>>53265308
>>53265333
afaik it's never actually addressed onscreen at all (the no-longer-fucking-up-subspace part, they do mention the movable nacelles being more efficient at extended high warp).
>>
>>53265366
I assume that, much like variable geometry wings in aviation tech, variable geometry warp nacelles are a technological dead end.
>>
>>53265407
I'd call you an idiot but I'm pretty sure the warp nacelles have explicitly been described as acting like wings, but in space.
>>
>>53265366
>>53265407
from wiki'ing it seems like they mention some comments in an official encylopedia that the variable nacelles did work, but newer warp drives like the defiant's also stopped fucking up subspace without having to be moveable

so ultimately functional but unnecessary
>>
>>53265428

Citation needed anon. Nacelles don't create lift, and the ship doesn't need to be moving to create a subspace field.

A starship's nacelles both create the aforementioned subspace field (which lowers the ship's mass and allows it to do all those crazy sublight maneuvers without needing gigantic fuel reserves), but also create the titular "space warp" that moves space around the ship (which is how it gets from place to place).

>http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Warp_field
>>
>>53265082
>>53265435

The reason nobody mentions that episode in other Star Trek series was that it was executive meddling at worse, as the production company had some sort of enviromental awareness thing going on at the time and they tacked that to all of their series and TNG had to had one too so they made "we are destroying space for realsies"-episode, which everyone hated to do.
>>
>>53265874
for that matter the only reason variable-geometry nacelles exist is because of meddling

>the producers settled on the pylons moving, and then we went through more machinations about what position meant what condition, could the pylons rotate down, etc. until it the positions were limited to up or flat. Then they argued over whether flat was warp or rest.
>>
>>53222569
>>53222106
>>53220640
I find it deeply disturbing that we are part of the same species.
>>
>>53265899
>Producers try to ruin everything

You can apply that to most dumb shit that happens in Star Trek. There's something to be said for leaving the decisions in the hands of a head writer. So long as that writer isn't crap, I suppose.
>>
>>53266344
This is part of what makes me dread Discovery. By all accounts it's been rewritten heavily by an exec, working to the paint-by-focus-group crap that's become so prevalent in modern tv/film studios.
>>
>>53267602

I won't speak for the rest of /stg/, but for my part, I've been assuming it was DOA ever since they announced CBS All Access. Everything else is just confirmation at this point.
>>
>>53267781
I'd really like for it to succeed. I'm hoping that, through all the fuss and bullshit, we get a show that feels like Star Trek. I'd rather that Cryptic weren't the only people progressing the plot. But with each piece of news, each new setback and controversy, I feel that my hope is just the misplaced optimism of someone that wishes there was more good, thought provoking Sci-Fi on Television.
>>
File: 1471627158127.jpg (39KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1471627158127.jpg
39KB, 576x432px
>>53267912

I'd love to be proven wrong. But... we'll see.
>>
>>53267602
>>53267781
I mean to play devil's advocate, the All Access is only in the states - Netflix distributes it for all the non-US viewers which means precisely 4 Britbongs, and the design-by-focus-group approach seems perfectly capable of be making some perfectly entertaining, if dispensable and paper-thin, shows.
>>
>>53268282
Star Trek without substance is worse than no Star Trek at all. I get your point though, as I'll be one of those not!bongs enjoying it via Netflix. So the CBS service thing means nothing to me. My primary clerk comes from my fear that Discovery will be an incoherent mess, like half the films making it out of Hollywood these days.
>>
>>53268282

I don't know what the percentage of the fandom is USA/CA, but I can imagine that it's fairly substantial. I'm sure there's plenty of fans who will sign up just for Trek (since CBS hasn't got anything else anyone wants to watch), but I'm guessing that there's probably at least a minority like myself who aren't interested in giving CBS money for one show on a streaming service with commercials (or pay extra for the no advertising upgrade).

Sure, you could eat out one less time a month, or not buy that roleplaying book on the used shelf... but I'm in "wait and see" mode. If, and only if, the first season knocks it out of the park, and fans everywhere are raving about how great it is (whether it's a return to form or something new and engaging), I will consider giving CBS money.

Until then, they get nothing. And if Discovery dies in its cradle, either because there wasn't enough confidence in it from fans, or because it's terrible and the fans chose not to support it... So be it. Trek has died before. Maybe next time they'll get it right.
>>
Even if Discovery is crap, it seems like we'll have one decent new Trek series at least.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0
>>
>>53269648
On the one hand, it looks like it could be Galaxy Quest TV. On the other hand, Seth Macfarlane.
>>
>>53269648
You know, this might actually be alright. I mean, Macfarlane, for all his problems, is clearly a Trekkie, and a Trekke that's willing to take the piss out of Star Trek, to boot. With any luck it will be Galaxy Quest: The Show.
>>
>>53269648
>Bashir's dad, up to no good again

I gotta ask, why is that inept structural engineer from Enterprise being given his own command?
>>
>>53270159
Too many ships, not enough captains. Clearly this is the post-Dominion War series we've been waiting for.
>>
File: 554739.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
554739.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
So here's a question for STO people, I haven't really done much aside from missions but do people use small craft in PvP? Or what is PvP like in general? Pic Unrelated.
>>
>>53271075
PvP in its pure form is dead, the wargames are a PvP/E thing where you and a team of others fight through some shit and then have to blow up a generator while the other team is doing the same, simultaneously, you both can attack each other and that is pure DPS racing.

As for do people use smallcraft in them? You mean shuttles and fighters? Nope.

Smallcraft get more use during special weekend events when they put on some STF's where you can fly your shuttle with a team of others to fight against some fleetsof enemies as a massive swarm of shuttles and fighters (these games usually require 20+ players).
>>
>>53271233
Is it just a massive fustercuck between DPS ships then?
>>
>>53271816
Pretty much, although since virtually any ship can deeps, it means that there are more cruisers than you would think.
>>
>>53271075
>>53271816
All I really know is that Carriers are considered shit.
>>
>>53273386
Eh. It's not ENTIRELY the carriers' fault, it's just that your buffs don't apply to your tended ships, and they have default white Mk XII gear, and the direct control you can exert over them is nigh-nonexistent.
>>
>>53190844
>Never lock phasers on me or my wife's son ever again

>Never open hailing frequencies with me or my wife's son ever again

>Never decloak to port of me or my wife's son ever again
>>
>>53215218
>The Stig is brought to justice.
>>
>>53273965

>Some say he likes to make love with the suit on....
>Some say he's wiped out entire civilizations by pulling a bootlegger reverse at warp...
>Some say he's incapable of tying shoelaces...
>Some say he's found 133 new uses for photon torpedoes...

All we know, is that he's called the Stig.
>>
>>53267602
>>53267781
I've basically only seen the two trailers with the two completely different ships which both look like ass

do we know anything else?

>>53265540
they may not create lift but they certainly create a sort of force analogous to thrust, albeit one that's sometimes shown to leave the ship at dead stop when the engines go off and other times shown to leave it with inertia but slowing due to being more in real space and less in subspace (since there's nothing else but reality to cause it to slow down)

the truth is, shitty books aside, warp engines aren't that consistetly explained

however the use of multiple nacelles indicates some sort of benefit to that, otherwise you'd just build one directly behind the main reactor and work on efficiency, so it's arguable that losing a nacelle and not immediately dropping yourself out of warp would affect your trajectory unpredictably, though since we're talking about a field effect from a coil it's also possible that you could use your remaining nacelle to maintain the original geometry of the warp bubble and enjoy uninterrupted flight, probably at the cost of higher wear and tear on the surviving nacelle, and likely - unless both nacelles are independently capable of taking the full power output of the reactor - at a lower speed
>>
File: Sir Puptrick Stewbark.jpg (115KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Sir Puptrick Stewbark.jpg
115KB, 1080x1080px
>>53265155
>>53265083
That is indeed Cause and Effect.
>>
>>53274869
Mostly news about rewrites, trouble on set, people bailing from the project and yet more delays.

You Know, all the things you want to hear from a show in production.
>>
>>53271075
>>53271233
>>53271816
I tried a few times - compared to duels with some of my fairly-optimised beamboater fleetmates where I could give a fair beating (or even get kills if I was lucky), in PvP proper I couldn't put a scratch in any of my opponents at all, even if I got the jump on them. Even with the recent nerfs, it's still just a constant cycle of minmaxed munchkin feds being raped by even more minmaxed munchkin klinks.
That being said, I'm a draining Sci boat,
so YMMV.

Wargames, on the other hand, are still a DPS race, but given that they're more PvE, I'm still able to be fairly competitive in them.
>>
Does the Federation ban all genetic augmentation or just supervillain-esque shit?
>>
>>53278027

>http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Genetic_engineering
>>
>>53278027
All augmentation because of the risk that any of it could inadvertently become supervillain-esque shit.
>>
>>53278321
Augmentation was banned at first due to Khan shit and the ban was maintained because it literally has like an 80% chance of turning you into a sperg, and it's not researched to keep from that because every non-human Federation representative doesn't want the most charismatic and creative race also becoming the strongest and smartest and turning the state into a de facto hegemonic empire.
>>
>>53278027
>By the 24th century, the United Federation of Planets allowed limited use of genetic engineering to correct existing genetically related medical conditions

That bit there is an important distinction though, since it really isn't, as is often supposed, a blanket ban on all genetic tweaking.
>>
>>53278913
Huh. I always thought it was, but the Federation had other kinds of medical advancements that could deal with genetic conditions without actual genetic engineering.
>>
>>53278913
>to correct existing genetically related medical conditions
Such as being a Jew, apparently. Never watched Voyager or Enterprise tho.
>>
>>53278913
It's like how tons of existing drugs can be used in limited uses for medical purposes, but you're getting your ass sent to prison on a felony for fucking around with them without a proper license and prescription.
>>
>>53278980
The Ashkenazi gene pool is shallow and full of recessive nasties today, and almost all the world's Jews live in urban areas that canonically got nuked. It's quite possible that they were all dead by First Contact.
>>
>>53279047
>tfw all the gays and trannies either got nuked in WWIII or purged by Col. Green
Any that remained were cured in TOS time, since all mental illness was eliminated.
>>
>>53278913
Except blindness, apparently.
>>
>>53279155
Probably considered non-critical, seeing as they can give you enhanced vision with a visor. I'd wager that there's more of an emphasis on stuff like hereditary defects and life-shortening diseases. Cystic Fibrosis, MS, Cancer, etc.
>>
>>53279155
Geordi had special super-blindness.
>>53279136
Evidence seems to point to almost all instances of homosexuality being either a reaction to population density or a reaction to environmental mercury, and neither of these seem to exist in the future.
As for transexuality, I was sure they found that the brain structure is literally at odds with the body but I don't keep up with this and that may have been random error.
>>
>>53278944
I always wondered why Dr Crusher destroyed her cure for the common cold
>>
>>53279226
So can a Federation citizen voluntarily opt to have perfectly functional optical nerves replaced with a visor?
>>
>>53279521
There seems to be a blanket ban on all unnecessary transhumanism.
>>
Sorry anons, wanting to improve yourself with science and technology is evil, as history has proven that one time with that one guy We learned our lesson. Mankind must improve itself through inner means, like studying ancient artists and philosophers and trying to imitate but never surpass their greatness.
>>
>>53279886
People like you are the reason communism isn't dead yet.
>>
>>53280121
Maybe if you played a little more holodeck Sherlock Holmes or Catcher in the Rye or listened to more Bach and Tchaikovsky you'd understand and throw away these dreams of unnatural enhancement.
>>
>>53280373
Why don't you put the whole WORLD in a holodeck, anon?
>>
>>53279571
it's because transhumanists are twats

they're like furries except they expect to be taken seriously
>>
>>53281076
>implying furries don't take themselves seriously
They were 4chan's primary punching bag for a long time for a reason, anon. Forty kay memes on old /b/ were often about purging furfags.
>>
>>53282858
I remember those times well. Furries ain't shit compared to the obnoxious cunts of so many kinds around these days. Furfags, low-tier to the point of being quaint even.

Transhumanists are pretty much a non-issue at this point too, hardly anyone going around these days preaching about the Singularity as if it's a religious thing. And it's such a broad, diluted term that pretty much anyone who thinks tech might make people better can count as one. If taken logically rather than painting Transhumanism as the roboJebus cultists alone, it's practically the default state for 1st world nations by this point (even if probably rightly assumed that only a few richfags and military bods will really benefit).
>>
>>53281076
Imo anti-transhumanists are a bunch of sore losers who are only angry because they cant get gene modded themselves.
>>
File: hirogen hunters.jpg (61KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
hirogen hunters.jpg
61KB, 600x448px
Have any of you anons done anything with the Hirogen in your games? They're a little goofy, but I always thought they were a fun addition to Star Trek. Being basically just the Predators but in the Trek universe was kind of interesting, especially given their own acknowledgement that their culture was stagnating and dying out due to an obsession with ritual and primitive behavior. What would they and the Klingon think of each other? Would they see the obvious parallels, or would each see the other as somehow blinded or inferior?
>>
>>53279886
I thought the eugenics wars were supposed to be ww4 levels of shit?
>>
>>53283830
There was a small continuity error which they managed to elegantly clean up by making the eugenics wars a shadow war fought in the background of the nineties that no non-elite knew about until decades later, and in no way connected to WWIII.
>>
>>53283830
>>53283862
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/history-earth.htm
My theory is that the 1990's date for the EW was retconned, and that it is either WWIII, or immediately prior (maybe even a prequel, like Japan's invasion of China before WWII). Also, Cochrane's ship was merely the first warp ship of several in development to get off the ground, so he gets all the credit. I figure impulse drive was already invented, and that WWIII was actually another space race that went bad (who gets to colonize Mars, especially if the Eastern Coalition = Kahn), or perhaps a resource war. If the Botany Bay was an impulse ship, it could conceivably have gotten pretty far out in 200 years.
As for the destroyed cities, it would make sense that San Fran would become an important city if every other important city was nuked, even if by low-yield weapons. San Fran is already losing its importance, and we should note that it literally became a ghetto for a time, so it might not have been one of the targets. It's also conceivable that Paris was either not targeted, France having lost its importance in international affairs (what with rural frogs having English accents centuries later), or France remaining neutral, or even on the "bad guy" side; but if they didn't hurl nukes, they might not have gotten nuked back. Then again, we only really see the Eifel Tower, which would probably stand up to a low-level nuke pretty well (being a mostly empty metal structure), or it could easily be rebuilt, as it's the symbol of Paris.
>>
>>53283593
Both would declare each other as barbarians and just walk off to their business.
>>
>>53282858
Is a purge of furfags more properly called a furge?
>>
>>53285356
No.
>>
>>53283593
I've never really used them. As badguys they're just a bit too over the top.
>>
>>53283830
Nah. The death toll in the Eugenics Wars was 30-37 million. WW3 that followed it had twenty times that.

Thirty million isn't world shattering. It definitely made news, and wreaked havoc on the world economy, but I don't think it massively disrupted the lives of citizens not living in the conflict zones. Especially since it happened in places like North Africa and Asia.
>>
>>53279521
Didn't the Visor have the nasty side effects of constant headaches when in use, or was that just beta canon from the books?
>>
>>53285923
It is canon. They talk about it in the TNG pilot.

No idea about the upgraded "cyber eyes" Geordi got in the movies, though.
>>
>>53285865
Relatively speaking, 37 million would only be a drop in the water for a nation like India or China. And seeing as it was spread across multiple nations, it likely blended in with contemporaneous conflicts.
>>
>it's a godlike entity being a dick (but not Q 'cause Q is pretty rad) episode.
>>
>>53286961
>tfw isis and all the big riots in the last decade were all part of the Eugenics War
>>
>>53287367
I've been re-watching TOS and early parts of TNG. Holy shit does Roddenberry have a hard on for godlike entities. Gods, super advanced aliens, and whatever. It's like every other episodes.
>>
>>53202748
My STO toon is basically a douchebag frat boy. I play him like Dennis Reynolds from It's Always Sunny.

My STO Character Bio:

Born and raised on Earth, Mr. Stevens had a perfectly normal Childhood. At the age of 20 he entered Starfleet academy and joined the Kappa Chi Zeta fraternity (starfleet chapter), where he excelled in drinking, partying and womanizing.

Always quick to toss a punch or toss back a drink, Mr. Stevens seemed like he would burn out of the Academy, and were it not for his superb grasp on strategy and military tactics, he certainly would have. Mr. Stevens is also among those who have attempted to find a way to beat the dreaded Kobayashi Maru test. However, he is unique in that his attempt involved seducing his instructor. It should be noted that while he did not, in fact, beat the Kobayashi Maru (and earned a severe reprimand from the commandant of starfleet academy). He did pass another course taught by the same instructor with top marks. After spending nearly six years at the Academy due to several failed required courses, Mr. Stevens graduated with a degree in Military Science (the parties don't wait for grades, after all).

Mr. Stevens went on to serve with distinction (somehow) during the Iconian War and now commands the U.S.S. Omaha Beach. In 2410 he was approached by [REDACTED] and given command of [REDACTED]. His ability to hit things and hit them hard made him the ideal candidate for the posting.

Is he a jerk with a heart of gold or just a jerk? The world may never know...

"I have come to bust a move and rock your face off." - Mr. Stevens
>>
>>53202748
>>53288248

And my Alt, the creatively named Ms. Stevens:

Born on Earth in the city of Albany NY to a Federation Patent Clerk and a Butcher, Arlene Stevens had a run of the mill childhood without any notable ups or downs, despite the strange circumstances of her conception.

Arlene was conceived in the Fenchurch street station bathroom during a trip to London by her parents. Arlene was never sure if she was an unplanned pregnancy until she finally heard the story behind her somewhat unfortunate middle name.

After a perfectly vanilla flavored childhood, Arlene decided to go into Starfleet Academy, due to the lack of career prospects for a drifter/wannabe rock musician. After spending her obligatory four years at the academy, she graduated in the middle of her class and looked forward to a long and boring career in Starfleet, punctuated by some scattered exciting bits.

Little did she know that fate had other plans in store. There were no exciting bits and now she routinely spends her time filing paperwork and fiddling with the things on her desk. Often overcome by boredom, she has taken to several odd hobbies, including trying to see how many cherry tomatoes she can fit in her mouth. Her current personal record is 14, with one smaller one in her left nostril.
>>
>>53288248
Reading that makes me really want to punch you in the throat....
>>
>>53288465
Mission Accomplished
>>
>>53283490
>gene modding

fucking furries

give it a rest
>>
File: Mirror time.png (110KB, 353x437px) Image search: [Google]
Mirror time.png
110KB, 353x437px
Guess what time it is!

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10505173-the-mirror-invasion-event
>>
>>53290603
Important question, can you get a mirror universe skin for TOS ships?
>>
File: IMG_2313.jpg (176KB, 1512x864px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2313.jpg
176KB, 1512x864px
>>
File: 2014-02-15_00009.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2014-02-15_00009.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>/stog/ on infinity chan is talking about the new show
>/stg/ is talking about sto
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>53292164
If only there were posts about the show in this thread.
>>
>>53292164
/stog/ takes over a full year to get through a single thread so you could be looking at posts from last month and they'd seem recent
>>
>>53292096

Nice.
>>
>>53292164
it means that infinichan has shit enough taste to actually think Discovery has promise
>>
https://streamable.com/pmp54

Not sure if it got linked but, new trailer's up
>>
>>53292581
How does any of that ascetic fit before TOS? And why are they changing klingons into lizards?

Fukkan cbs.
>>
>>53292581

Looks like shit. As expected.
>>
>>53292164
The trailer doesn't show anything that wasn't leaked already, so what is there to talk about? How bad Sarek's ears look? How shit the ancient Klingon designs are? Starfleet uniforms look nice at least.
>>
File: 9922830.jpg (25KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
9922830.jpg
25KB, 300x300px
>>53292581

Holy shit that ship looks ugly.

Holy shit those klingons look shit.

Holy shit did we not get enough "strong woman what don't need no man" from voyager?

Holy shit are they really redoing the Spock child of two worlds drama again?

Holy shit
o
l
y

s
h
i
t
>>
>>53292581
Actually doesn't look as bad as I feared. New uniforms are ok, if that ship was the Discovery, it looks a shit load better than last time I saw it. CG/rubber foreheads look decent.

NuKlingons are derpy as fuck though.

I thought Jason Isaacs was playing the captain and the focal character was going to be Walking Dead girl playing the first officer? Did something change?
>>
>>53292823
She's only a quarter Vulcan this time.
>>
>>53292581
Holy shit that acting felt so phoned in from so many of the people shown, in what's supposed to be the dramatic shit to get people interested?

Visual design being kinda meh I can deal with (the little we saw of the ship at least looks less shit than it was and I can deal with Klingon retcons in appearance again as long as they're portrayed interestingly) but if the acting is really as flat as it appeared there, it ain't selling the story and no matter the quality of the actual story, nothing can salvage it because all ability to suspend disbelief is lost.
>>
>>53292946
Ship almost looks cardassian.
>>
>>53292581
>yfw The Orville looks like a better Trek show.
>>
>>53292892
Nothing changed. The Discovery doesn't even appear in the trailer; that ship is the USS Shengzhou.
>>
>>53293068
Whelp.
>>
>>53292982
A...at least the CGI in Sexually Treksmitted looks better....

the evil ayys in Orville look so much better than those derpy klingons tho
>>
>>53293109
...Fuck me, I just realised that acronym.

What the actual fuck were they thinking?
>>
>>53292581
>tfw they steal JJ's aesthetic so hard that you just straight-up use his NuTrek intro
>tfw it's pre-TOS but everything's autistically shiny
>tfw you didn't fall for the Axanar meme but Discovery did
>>
>>53293157
Yeah, the fact that they either didn't care or didn't notice that discussing the show around the watercooler will make it sound like you're discussing your genital warts suggests to me they're either apathetic or incompetent.
>>
>>53293172
>Copy pretty much everything from JJ Trek
>Doesn't include the ping-ping-whistle spehs-sonar effect when ships appear tho

;__;
>>
File: 1483965529682.png (149KB, 278x306px) Image search: [Google]
1483965529682.png
149KB, 278x306px
>>53293172
>>53293227
ENT
>oh hey we have props that look much cooler and more techy now
>but how are we gonna make it look prequel-y
>NASA-trek aesthetic
>purebutter.png

DIS
>oh hey we have props that look even cooler and techier now
>let's abuse the fuck out of them with precisely zero regard for continuity
>>
>>53293268

>You know what else needs to be changed?
>Klingons
>Let's make it even more difficult to emote in the makeup so that they appear even more alien
>Don't worry, we totally have a super cool canonical explanation for why they looked like TNG Klingons, then TOS Klingongs, then Lizard Klingons, then back to TNG Klingons
>>
>>53293851
It's worse because this is before TOS so it goes TNG Klingons => Lizards => TOS Klingons (prime universe) / Pseudo-Lizards (NuTrek) => TNG Klingons
>>
>>53293906

I've heard rumours these are supposed to be 14th Century Klingons who were originally taken prisoner by the Hur'q. But that's probably just fans desperately clawing for a plausible explanation.
>>
>>53293906

I used TOS Klingons before the Lizards because in ENT they got the augment virus which gave us the origin of the TOS Klingons, but yes. Totally unnecessary and a change for the worse.
>>
>>53293198
they already called an entire species infected with an incurable disease that rots your junk off the VD-ans

i don't think they've ever truly had a fuck to give
>>
>>53293951
At this point I don't even care about explanations; the cast seemed so bland and un-charismatic I might as well have been watching a trailer for a shitty fan film that somehow roped in some decent effects people.
>>
>>53292581
You seem to be confused, anon. You've linked us to a Mass Effect fan film, not something from Star Trek.
>>
New Thread
>>53294256
>>53294256
>>53294256
>>53294256
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.