[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pathfinder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: images.jpg (4KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 300x168px
What does one do when you write a complex, somewhat interesting story lore that is essential to the plot and the PC's tell the NPC they just want to get on with the mission?
>>
You swallow your pride and get on with it.
>>
>>53170548
This.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink, especially in tabletop gaming. Understand and be able to accept that the players may cock-block your story ideas and make choices that you didn't anticipate.
>>
>>53170506
Make the story actually happen instead of being told to the players.
>>
>writing complex stories for pathfinder
>>
I just told them it anyway, I know it's against what being a GM is about but still
>>
File: Cool It.gif (995KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Cool It.gif
995KB, 500x281px
>mfw no supplements for Cambrian/Ordovician/Silurian fauna and flora
>mfw no anomalocaris companions or opabinia familiars
>mfw everytime I fart a swarm of moths fly out and curse my name in dozens of voices that sound too much like Barry White to be mere chance
>>
>>53170506
You play with me instead I'm LFG roleplay heavy.
>>
>>53171793
let's do it. At least you'll appreciate me
>>
File: 1490187625297.png (389KB, 536x668px) Image search: [Google]
1490187625297.png
389KB, 536x668px
Not Pathfinder, but I am GM'ing a game that's supposed to be a spy story set in a fantasy kingdom.
Instead, my players run around doing everything but hunting spies.
So I'm going to have the army just show up, have a bunch of boneses to taking the city, and let my players have to lead troops to fight outside the town and then in the streets.

the story is there to have fun, but the story matters because of consequences. Don't be a dick about it, explain what happened and why if they ask, but it's ok to have thing happen that could have been prevented if only they'd paid attention.

and the next time...they'll pay attention.
>>
>>53170548
Basically this. If your players aren't interested, you can't make them be interested. Maybe talk with them later about what sorts of stories WOULD interest them, or more about what they're looking to get out of the game (they may not want deep story to begin with).
>>
>>53172116
see the thing about GMing is punishment and the thing about PCs is they are children. You need to punish your children
>>
>>53172139
but the only reason he turned it down wad that his character is pushy and no one else said anything because their push over pussies
>>
>>53170653
came here to post this
>>
>>53170506
>I made an awesome, award-winning story and the evul PCs refused to let me tell them said story, instead wanting to play the game. I can't fit in my super awesome story if they don't follow every step to the letter.

See, there's this thing called roleplaying GAME in the title, which means there should be parts where the players can interact with stuff other than listening to the GM's tale. Have you ever played a game like that before, OP?
>>
>>53172239
Have it come and bite them in the ass hard. The other players will then realize the other guy was an idiot for skipping stuff and work to not let it happen again or they won't care which means that they're willing to go along with his mistakes.

It's ultimately a game, they don't need to get EVERYTHING perfect, mistakes help teach them lessons about how to be a better player don't be afraid to teach them or else they'll NEVER get better.
>>
>>53170506
Write a book

Also, you should always be thinking of how "gameable" any concept you want to introduce is.
>>
>>53171861
GMT+2 and text only.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.