[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Character superstitions, irrational beliefs, etc.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

I like to come up with some superstitions, strange and unlikely sources of fear and inspiration, for my characters: it's some really great background grist.

But now I'm about to play a witch doctor, and I'm completely stumped.

When a character is already fully steeped in the macabre and the frightening, when so much of their power comes from scaring other people, what could they themselves fear? When you invoke superstitions in others, what could you yourself feel superstitious about?

Also, what does your current character fear for no reason? What do they, again for no discernible reason, gain strength and inspiration from?
>>
My character being a giant beastman based off a dog, is afraid of thunders and believes that cats are bad news: with one he's sent shaking like a leaf, and with the other he often gives bad glares or avoids places altogether.
On the other hand, he believes that full moons bring luck and strength, with the exact effects depending on the current seasons.
He doesn't really "get" anything out the latter, but a sense of confidence I guess. The moon is pretty, even then, putting some peace of mind.
>>
Your guy knows about the innumerable spirits haunting this world, a good number of them malevolent. He's even exercised a few of them. There's alot of evil creatures that would want to see him dead. The only thing protecting him, in his head, is a series of rituals he preforms nightly. Maybe as the campaign moves forward he makes the rituals more complex as he becomes more paranoid
>>
File: scarecrow_batman[1].jpg (306KB, 1296x730px) Image search: [Google]
scarecrow_batman[1].jpg
306KB, 1296x730px
>
When a character is already fully steeped in the macabre and the frightening, when so much of their power comes from scaring other people, what could they themselves fear?

Bats.
>>
I played a cleric that was deathly afraid of demons andhad a whole pile of shit to doto recognize them and keep them away, most of which were total bullshit.

A bit of knowledge is worse than no knowledge at all. Your character, too, knows just enoughof what lies out there to be -truly- afraid.
>>
My current character is an ascetic monk with the vow of peace. So she essentially does no harm to living things. She wears nothing clothing whatsoever, as it is considered taboo to her monastery. She is strictly vegan, doesn't even harm insects.

Beats the SHIT out of undead though.
>>
My barbarian girl has a massive phobia of the undead. Her husband and kid was killed by a famine spirit, eaten in front of her, and it breathed in her face, giving her this cough she's had ever since.
She pretty much fearless fights anything else, but undead put the chills into her.
>>
>>53153936
superstition phobias are fun.

three of my favorites:
-anytime you come across a source of running water, you've got to check if there's fish living in it. if there are, its safe to drink from. if not...you can't even cross it, because it's cursed and connected to the realm of the dead.
-certain spices must be used with every meal. if they aren't, you make yourself vulnerable to demonic possession.
-never sleep on your back. by facing down, you'll hear your ancestors warn you if something attacks you while you rest.
>>
>>53154079
This, OP. Look at that Disney movie "The Princess and the Frog": the bad guy was a voodoo witch doctor, who emanated a sense of dark power - and was sent weeping to the grave like a child, begging and pleading.

https://youtu.be/aTqHbiE0vl8
>>
>>53157487
Stealing the running water thing
>>
>>53157487
>-never sleep on your back. by facing down, you'll hear your ancestors warn you if something attacks you while you rest.

What if you sleep on your side?
>>
>>53154512

>She wears nothing clothing whatsoever, as it is considered taboo to her monastery

Back to the Magical Realm with you.
>>
>>53160446
You'll only hear half the warning.
>>
File: Clipboard02.jpg (45KB, 718x582px)
Clipboard02.jpg
45KB, 718x582px
>>53154512
>>53160474
>>
As a DM, I encourage all characters to do this.
>>
>>53159223
go for it!
>>53160509
makes sense to me! :D it'd be like static- you'd know something was wrong, but no specifics. you'd be lucky to know which direction it was coming from.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.