[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody know if this is any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: Adventures in oz book.jpg (155KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Adventures in oz book.jpg
155KB, 600x900px
Anybody know if this is any good?
>>
Haven't run a full game of it but it wasn't bad in the short one shot I've run of it.
>>
>>53149779
I think it's pretty cool, but I have yet to run it.

The friendship mechanics are pretty great, and I really love how the mechanics work specifically within the Oz setting. It's definitely made by people who understand Oz, and didn't just make a generic RPG with some whimsical names of feats attached and claim to be "an Oz RPG" (looking at you, BESM).

I've been trying to get other people to play, but I'm the only Baumfag I know.
>>
>>53150157
>tfw only read Wonderful Wizard and Marvellous Land
I've been thinking of getting a box set of all 14 of Baum's books (and the first Ruth Plumly Thomson book). Theoretically, it's for my niece, but you know how it is... Anyway, is it worth it?
>>
File: 1035621.jpg (136KB, 600x902px) Image search: [Google]
1035621.jpg
136KB, 600x902px
>>53150785
Well, I mean, I'm an Ozaboo, so...

If you don't want to read the books, there's always this. I enjoyed it, plus very cool art.
>>
>>53150785

Well the first seven books in the series are god-tier. After Patchwork Girl, the Oz books themselves take a nose-dive in quality. Be sure to read Sky Island and Sea Fairies alongside Tik-Tok of Oz (Baum's legit worst book, because he rushed it out based on a stage-play adaptation of his own earlier book, Ozma of Oz—it'll feel *really* familiar).

In the latter half of the original 14, only Rinkitink in Oz stands out as really, genuinely good, and that's because it's not really an Oz book. It's a standalone fantasy story that Baum tweaked at the end and then sold as Oz book #10.

I remember liking Lost Princess well enough when I was little, but Tin Woodman, Magic, and Glinda are kind of awful.

Thompson's first book, Royal Book of Oz, is… a new, special kind of bad. It's funny-racist in the way that old Bugs Bunny cartoons from WWII are, so there's that.

Most of the rest of Thompson's books are total coin tosses. The ones about a random prince from some obscure corner of Oz going on a journey tend to be bad. The ones about children from the US visiting Oz and sailing around with Pirates or whatever are great.

Avoid the three that John R. Neill wrote, they're awful. Of the last four books, the two by Jack Snow are tedious Baum fan-wankery, while the last two, Hidden Valley and Merry-Go-Round, are just okay.
>>
>>53150943

* Forgot to mention, the reason you have to read Sky Island and Sea Fairies alongside (or better yet, instead of) book 8, Tik-Tok, is because book 9, Scarecrow, stars the same main characters. It's helpful know who the fuck they are.
>>
>>53150835
Yeah, I read the first Shanower/Young miniseries -
good stuff. I got pic related for a decent price... absolutely BEAUTIFUL art
>>53150943
So, 1-7, then skip ahead to 10 and ignore everything else. Fair enough.
>>
>>53151260
>So, 1-7, then skip ahead to 10 and ignore everything else. Fair enough.

Pretty much.

1–7, 10 (actually makes a really good ending to the Oz series now that I think about it), and go ahead and read 11 and 14 if you find yourself wanting more.
>>
Bump because Oz is an amazing setting
>>
>>53155588
This
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.