[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some tips veterans could dish out to novice Dungeon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1464572045177.jpg (36KB, 357x390px) Image search: [Google]
1464572045177.jpg
36KB, 357x390px
What are some tips veterans could dish out to novice Dungeon Explorers?

Stuff like-
>Bring a 10-foot pole to prod things from afar
>Sprinkle pepper on treasure chests
>Walking along walls is much safer than walking in the center of corridors
>Don't make camp near water
>>
>carry potions
>make rope traps with bells to alert you of danger
>conceal your camp fire
>don't sleep on the open
>sneak trough the forest, everything does you should too
>gather as much information as possible. know thy enemy
>>
>>53143406
If you're not sure you can succeed, you better prepare more
>>
>>53143406
Some things I've passed along:

>shaving powder/tooth powder can be used to invisible opponents while also keeping you clean.
>everyone should have a small hand mirror and signal whistle. Perfect for communication over long distances.
>chalk is incredibly useful
>running from enemies in a castle/dungeon/whatever? Jam a piton in a door. Gives you enough time to prepare before they break it down.
>always go left and keep your left side to the walk. Easier to remember where you are and keeps your right arm open to swing and attack with.
>familiars cost experience, but anyone can buy a dog.
>>
>Carry all your wealth, it's the safest place to keep it
>Resist using limited use items, you never know when you're going to really need them
>Make sure to tell a veteran where and when you are going, in case you need rescue
>The ogre on the second floor is actually a nice guy, and if close your eyes and bow your head, he'll let you pass
>>
>>53143406
>A blazing fire on a stick is as much a weapon as the hunk of steel in your other hand.
>>
>It's better to leave a wounded monster and run away than making sure you all die. Prepare more or bring more arms.
>Carry a whetstone, even if you don't use blades normally.
>Pocket knife, carry at least one.
>Carry more water than what you think need, you may be wrong and everything may be set aflame.
>No matter how good your ranger is, mark the way, the ranger may not make it the way back.
>Play to your advantages, if you see something suspicious but don't know what it is, ask first to the rest of the party, if they don't know, take cover and poke it from afar.
>Eldritch Blast fizzles if it impacts inanimate objects. Get the warlock to poke all chests and suspicious rock formations.
>>
>>53143925
I might be an ignoramus, but what's the whetstone for? Besides sharpening, I mean.
>>
>>53144015
Sharpening, blade improvisation and being captured.
A broken longsword makes an appropriate dagger with a bit of work.
Lockpicks can be made if the need arises.
An inconspicuous stone won't be taken from you most of the time if you are captured, apply the above.
>>
>>53143406
>Don't sleep too close to the fire.
No, seriously kid. We once lost a barbarian to that; he curled up too close to the fire, and an ember landed on his bedroll and caught. We woke up to his screams as he burned to death, and the cleric was out of Create Water spells for the day.
>>
>>53143406
Never trust kids.
>>
>>53143406
Always, always, always SNEAK.
Heavy armor is good and safe when you're in a shield wall, but each step will ring like a dinner bell deep in the dungeon.
Step lightly, stay unseen, if needed kill from the shadows, SILENTLY or you'll bring the whole shebang down on your hears, and don't forget that many creatures can smell you from miles ahead, you'll have to camo your scent.
>>
>>53143406
A few from a rogue.

>The answer to "how much rope do we need?" is always "more".
>Never disable what you can instead bypass.
>Always carry at least one slashing weapon, at least one piercing weapon, and at least one bludgeoning weapon.
>If you're a warrior, practice and become comfortable in a number of weapons. Don't specialize in one to the point of uselessness in others.
>If you're a priest, carry extra holy symbols, and learn how to make new ones from nearby materials (especially wood). If nothing else the whittling skill will help pass time.
>If you're a wizard, invest in a second spellbook as soon as possible and duplicate every spell you know. Then do the same with a third spellbook.
>If you're a rogue, remember that it's fine and pretty much expected that you'll steal small things from the party, like a few coins or one of the priest's extra holy symbols. It's good practice. Just make sure it's not something they can't do without, never sell or lose it, and as soon as they notice it's missing, give it back without a fuss. And don't make any claims like "oh, I was just keeping it safe", they hate that. Instead just state the truth: "I was practicing my pick-pocketing ability; better you than some merchant who might get the town guard after us."
>Use hair pins. They make you look fancy, and can make good lockpicks in a pinch.

The most important one:
>There is a difference between a dagger and a knife that has nothing to do with how it's made. When you know the difference, you're ready to delve a dungeon.
>>
File: 1493507860602.webm (833KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493507860602.webm
833KB, 1280x720px
Make sure to get checked by a cleric once you get out. You definitely don't want to be carrying the kind of disease you can find in a dungeon.
>>
>>53144897
>and don't forget that many creatures can smell you from miles ahead, you'll have to camo your scent.
How? Anything strong enough to mask your scent will likely draw more attention.
>>
>>53143593
>asking the local thieves' guild for adventuring tips
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.