[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pic chosen at random. I'm about to start a new campaign

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

Pic chosen at random.
I'm about to start a new campaign for my local group, plus a newbie.
The groups wants to either go back to DnD 3.5 or try 5e, since we've been playing FATE for a while.
They asked me to create a "High fantasy medieval post apocaliptic world" something that i've translated as "We want to play in a world where the previous party/kingdom lost and the BBEG won" so that's the focus i'm going to get.
Since we have a new player, and since the group hasn't tried 5e, i'm thinking on making a tutorial dungeon, and i'll give them kind of high level characters to tackle it, while i guide them using a King NPC. Thing is, i want the tutorial to end with the party losing either a huge objective/Siege/fight/whatever that implies the BBEG winning and that ends being the tragedy that the world remember as the "apocalypse"
Would this idea work? Can i get some advice or more ideas please?
>>
>>53138340
>>53135945
>>
>>53138340
You don't need to have them be high level unless that's the power level you're going for. It does work though, I started off one of my rogue players stealing a magic dagger from some lord's castle. As he took it from the case the guards started coming up the stairs. This resulted in him rolling perception to find the secret stairs, then climbing down a wet ladder in to a sewer where he fought some rats before escaping the castle. Worked good, did it in gurps and he had a fair idea as to what he could do after that.
>>
>>53138340
the hell is in that pic?
>>
File: 1493519627479.jpg (411KB, 1060x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1493519627479.jpg
411KB, 1060x1500px
>>53139830
>thinking this belongs in the general
newfag please.

>>53138340
Highlevel characters in 5e tend to be pretty difficult to kill without DM fiat, if they play intelligently. If you're determined to run a prequel episode I'd say set them at level 5 so their new characters will have something to work towards and surpass. You could also consider something similar to For Honor which is a game set in a medieval world post some sort of cataclysm, just have the cataclysm be caused by the bbeg.
>>
>>53138340
I like this idea. It functions as both a training and an introduction to the world. It might invest them in the story a little more as you run the main campaign, especially if you can call back to the original adventure at some point (like they discover a tome with an incantation to contain the BBEG that would have helped the original party and the tome contains their story and an "in memorium").

I am a big fan of micro adventures to get into a new system regardless. It helps people choose what or what not to waste points on when they make their new characters. This is a good reason to actually use higher level characters for the throwaways.
>>
>>53139830
Seriously, go straight to hell. A single mention of a system doesn't mean that systems thread must be used. Why didn't you try and route him to the 3.5 thread, dick?
>>
>>53140761
Werewolf fighting a werewolf corrupted by eldritch horror flying spaghetti monster
>>
>>53140849
is that in some kind of campaign book? i notice the WotC copyright thingie
>>
>>53140861
It's from MTG, actually
>>
>>53140871
ah fugg :-DDD
>>
>>53140893
If it helps, I believe there's a D&D sourcebook set on the mtg plane that stuff comes from, no idea if it's any good or if it features any of the hideous eldritch monstrosity stuff. Google D&D + Innistrad and you might like it
>>
>>53140910
thnx
>>
>>53139830
Everything doesn't go in generals, cancerfag.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.