[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else think iron is OP? I hope they fix it in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0245.jpg (52KB, 592x420px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0245.jpg
52KB, 592x420px
Does anyone else think iron is OP? I hope they fix it in the next edition. Right now bronze has literally no advantages.
>>
>>53137814
powercreep, get used to it. As a stone player I had to accept my favorite weapons were useless a few thousand years ago.
>>
>>53137814
>doesn't rust
>easier to reforge
>cast-based forging

You just need to git gud.
>>
>>53137814
Iron is dirt cheap, roughly 10% lighter and holds an edge a little better. Other than that bronze is better in every way. Really it was steel that truly killed bronze forever.
>>
FUCK THE PHALANX CAVALRY IS COMING BACK

YOU LAUGH NOW BUT YOU'LL SEE
>>
>>53137946
Depends what you mean by cavalry. Heavy cavalry did pretty well against some types of phalanx but it was light missile cavalry that right and truly fucked the formation.
>>
>>53137946
there will never, ever be another cavalry-focused army of significance now that the Greeks went so gangbuster on massed spears

lel stay mad horsefucker, phalanxes will reign for a thousand thousand years
>>
>>53137814
>Right now bronze has literally no advantages.
Bronze had a ton of advantages over early iron, but it needs an entire infrastructure and trade partnerships and tons of knowledge to make good bronze.

Iron took off because the bronze age civilizations collapsed and couldn't keep making good bronze anymore so people had to look for alternatives.
>>
File: Hittite_Chariot.jpg (10KB, 375x422px) Image search: [Google]
Hittite_Chariot.jpg
10KB, 375x422px
>>53137814
Bronzie Babies BTFO
>>
>>53138032
I dunno, those Macedonians are getting pretty good at charging headfirst into dudes on horseback
>>
>>53138401
>Hittites
>not mainly bronze
>>
>>53138160
The Assyrians conquered by virtue of their iron weapons rather than bronze, so no, iron wasn't some secondary alternative. It was superior.
>>
>>53138713
Yes, because it was easy to mass produce. The finished product was superior with bronze, everything leading up to that point was such a logistical nightmare that it wasn't worth the effort.
>>
>>53138032
>these idiots haven't figured out the stirrup physics exploit yet

laughingknights.jpg
>>
>>53138713
The Assyrians conquered by means of their iron weapons way after the bronze age collapse when there were no proper bronze age civilizations left.

Also the Assyrians were doing a pretty good job of conquering even before they got iron, so there's that.

Iron was not strictly superior to bronze in all aspects, particularly not the iron made before 1000 BC.. Saying "the Assyrians conquered by virtue of their iron weapons" is an oversimplification.
>>
Guys Guys Guys hear me out.
What if we use bands of Iron as armor, as opposed to a single shaped piece, and cover the entire chest with it. Then made a shield the size of a man, a short sword, and gave the soldiers some throwing spears?
>>
>>53138852
This guy's nuts. Next he'll be talking about civil engineering exploits and renaming the gods as oc don't steels
>>
>>53138901
>civil engineering exploits
MUH ROADS!
>>
>>53138837
Ban all assault irons!
>>
>>53138741
True. The rarity of tin and copper in comparison to iron was what caused the decline. Iron is roughly 25000 times more common than Tin and 714 times more common than Copper.
>>
>>53139060
Assault Iron is DANGEROUS!
>>
>>53137814
Dude bronze is way better. It just that Iron was made so fucking cheap even non nobles can afford a good set of equipment.
>>
That guy who is not Lindy (Skallagrim?) compared a steel and a bronze sword, and they were even to the point where using one, or the other should not impact you in a fight.

Of course, Bronze still has a bunch of built in limits, its softness make it ill suited for two handed swords.
>>
>>53141749
>Two-handed swords
>Not carrying a shield
>Not using spear
>Being this retarded
laughtsingreeek.jpg
>>
>>53141749
The main advantage of iron, before steel came along, is that it's fucking everywhere and that you only need iron and nothing else. Bronze needs copper and tin, which aren't that easy to get and you also need expertise.

Before the bronze age collapse, there were extensive trading networks and expertise needed for making bronze, so even when they knew how to make iron, they saw no need to move over to it because bronze was good enough (and in certain aspects, better). It's only when their trading networks collapsed and expertise was lost to the dark ages that bronze became prohibitively expensive to make and they had to look for alternatives.
>>
>>53137946
cavalry is useless

horses won't run over people
>>
>>53137814
Get with the times.
>>
I hate it. It's affecting culture and mysticism roles so that basically most casters/shaman are leaving the Circles to adopt newer 'faiths'
>>
>>53137814
Bronzefags, you had your chance.
it's celt time now

>>53137826
>useless
fucker the American community seems to be doing quite fine with them.
you need to get creative with it.
>>
>>53137814
>looks fucking great and keeps its luster easily
>work-hardens
>can be bent back into shape without fucking breaking
>it's not dug out locally, you gotta be loaded to own it
>our forefathers already used it

How can iron even compete?
>>
>>53137814
>I don't play with the trade and supply rules
>why is my game so shitty
GEE OP, I DON'T KNOW

Garbage vidya edition ITT
>>
>>53137814
Just gather enough meteoric metal for an axehead, it works like magic and you can pass it down from father to son.
If you find more, do not be a hero! Do not go for a sword! If you have that much metal, make a shield! Not armor or helms either, resizing them for your sons will be a pain in the ass.
>>
S E A P E O P L E S!
>>
>iron sword just breaks
>bronze sword you can kick back into place
>>
File: IMG_0501.jpg (228KB, 750x1145px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0501.jpg
228KB, 750x1145px
Reminded me of this
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.