[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Board Game General /bgg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 24

File: dystopian bgg.png (983KB, 937x924px) Image search: [Google]
dystopian bgg.png
983KB, 937x924px
Last thread
>>53094236

Pastebin
>http://pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What's that one game that has great promise, and everything looks good on the surface, but underneath is your worst nightmare? Could you fix it and how? Any games that are serviceable but can easily fall apart (only work with right group, factions, map, w/e) that you love anyhow?
>>
>>53134285
You pretty much just described Talisman for me.
I don't know how I'd fix it though
>>
Is there anyway to fix Terra Mystica so that it's not broken?
>>
>>53134285

The D&D Adventure series games. I like the easy to play dungeon crawling, but the slow chipping away of player health with how the phases go, it feels like you just have to slog through it until you reach that one important tile you need buried in the stack. There's a better game in the box, and I'm sure the rules would only need a little modification to make it all work.
>>
>>53134285
>What's that one game that has great promise, and everything looks good on the surface, but underneath is your worst nightmare? Could you fix it and how?
Seafall. Holy shit, just throw something other than Exploration and Research a bone. 90% of mid to late game glory comes from that skill. My brother set up a good economy and gets last place every time now because glory is only arbitrarily rewarded now from picking the right number on the tomb map and getting a shit ton of points. Whoever distributed the rewards for this game is retarded and makes me appreciate Xia of all things as a relatively well balanced sandbox game.
>>
Battle Star Galactica

I fucking love this game, but I've only been able to get my group to play it once, and the one time we played the cylons didn't do anything (only contributed negatives cards like literally one time), and then the humans lost anyways. I keep wanting to play it but I dont want to be an asshole who keeps pushing for one game, especially since it takes a long while to play.
>>
>>53135238
Use the starting go handicaps from the app version of the game or auction off races with vp at the start of the game.
>>
>>53136140
>starting go handicaps
starting vp handicaps
>>
>>53135238
There are supposed to be at least 4 races that are well balanced against each other. I just don't know which 4 of the races they are. :(
>>
>>53114639
Ikea Bjursta double-extend table, birch color (my living room is green).

>>53134285
>What's that one game that has great promise, and everything looks good on the surface, but underneath is your worst nightmare?
DungeonQuest. Dungeon crawler is probably my favorite genre and the components are great. Unfortunately, the "game" ISN'T a game. It's the slowest manual movie ever. You don't really make choices, you watch stop-motion cardboard video that's randomly generated from start to finish.

>Could you fix it and how?
I don't think I could. I try to fix any game I don't like but DQ has problems starting at the core and spreading out to every single component. Ironically, DQ was made even worse by the revised edition by making combat literally rock paper scissors.

>Any games that are serviceable but can easily fall apart (only work with right group, factions, map, w/e) that you love anyhow?
Xia Legends of a Drift System. It's like what if you took a handful of the worst mechanics in gaming and made all of them work to add more flavor to the game and build an emergent story. You really need someone who understands that Xia is the opposite of a competitive or point-driven game, and is supposed to be about shenanigans. I normally hate that excuse but this is the one game that gets it right.
>>
>>53134285
While it isn't exactly my worst nightmare since I still like it enough to want to play it again, it's probably Fury of Dracula. I'm appalled that even after shortening the game to the final week with fully equipped hunters and the last 3 locations revealed, it still took ~2 hours to finish. Inexcusable for a game with more sauce than meat.
>>
How soon do you predict our precious hobby will be trashed by normies?
https://youtu.be/R5sFIgzZ_S4
>>
>>53136409

DQ is just a series of unfortunate events: the game. Combat was always shit, so at least ro-sham-bo gets it over with faster. I do like DQ, because its not a game you play seriously, just to laugh at yourself and your friends getting fucked over and over.

Try the torchlight variant for tile placement, makes moving through the dungeon a little less random.
>>
Is there a good board game with nazis?
>>
>>53137518
Fortune and Glory if you liked Arkham/Eldritch Horrors.
>>
>>53137226
Normies drive this hobby nigger, what do you think geek and sundry is? Why do you think (((Legacy))) model was so well received? Hey, you can destroy your game so you can buy it again! Great with friends!
>>
Guys, how do I best play Space Alert?

I find it a very difficult game to introduce to people, not just from the needing sound, but also the wind-up to the main missions, learning everything a bit at a time.
>>
>>53137518
Escape from Colditz
Black Orchestra
Secret Hitler
Memoir '44
Axis and Allies
Advanced Squad Leader
Tide of Iron
Barbarossa
A bazillion other wargames
>>
>>53137518
Heroes of Normandie
Tannhauser
DUST
>>
>>53137636
>>53137657
thanks, god damn it that's a lot of googling

i can tell you straight away that secret hitler is a piece of shit 'game' as all social shit
>>
Carcassonne is better than Alhambra because everyone adding tiles the the same board creates better social interaction, but the card-buying of Alhambra allows deeper strategy to form. Opinions, anyone?
>>
>>53137636
Anybody got an advice on how to print Secret Hitler and how much will it cost approx?
>>
>>53137739
Well, I refrained from buying Carcassonne because it seemed just a nice random concept so...
>>
>>53137742
>how to print Secret Hitler
They have print-and-play versions on their website, last I checked.
>and how much will it cost approx?
The cost of a few sheets of paper and some black ink.
>>
>>53137226
Normies getting into it has brought Board Gaming into its current era. No doubt it'll all turn to shit eventually but st least we get a nice period where good design is meeting good production values.

>>53137555
>implying normies would ever finish all 12-24 games in the first place
>>
>>53138193
Normies are there to buy games, not to play them.
>>
>>53138193
>good design is meeting good production values.

Not really. It's not bad but it's rarely good.
>>
>>53138265
What even is good design?
I usually just think "is it like a good GMT game or CitOW."
>>
>>53138321
Sturdy board and components, cards. Like Kemet.
>>
>>53138372
That's production value, not design.
>>
>>53138408
it's also good design

most games have really shit art or look like proofs of concept, like Scythe.
>>
>>53138321
Past a certain point, I think that's subjective. Anyone with half a brain can see that munchkin is objectively a worse design than say, Kemet. But arguing about Kemet being a better design than say, CitOW or a COIN game I feel is mostly subjective.
>>
xd
>>
File: pic400196.jpg (146KB, 608x600px) Image search: [Google]
pic400196.jpg
146KB, 608x600px
>Any games that are serviceable but can easily fall apart (only work with right group, factions, map, w/e) that you love anyhow?

Maybe not quite what you're asking, but I'll be damned if I don't love Android, even in full recognition of all its faults. I've been able to get it on the table all of twice in 5 years of owning it, but it still holds a special place for me, for some goddamn reason. I guess I'm just a sucker for Blade Runner shit.
>>
>>53136140
>auction off races with vp at the start of the game
As in "I will lose X vp at the end of the game to play this race"?

>>53136321
Anyone know what these 4 are?
>>
>>53137739
I fucking love Carcassonne, partly because of the interaction it allows between players. I've never played Alhambra so I can't comment on that

>>53137762
> because it seemed just a nice random concept
Do you mean how the tile you draw is random? Sure, that part is random but it's up to you where you play the tile onto the board (assuming it's a legal move).
>>
should i get arctic scavengers?
>>
>>53140469

Do you like deckbuilding? Do you like the theme? If yes to these questions, then I don't see why not.
>>
>>53140546
i do like both which is why i'm asking, i'm curious if it's actually good and worth the price.
>>
File: 1320222862331.jpg (19KB, 721x474px) Image search: [Google]
1320222862331.jpg
19KB, 721x474px
>Just sold my dark souls core game for $30 more than I kickstarted it for
>Still have yet to get the stretch goals and extras which I will probably make a pretty penny off of
And this is why I have zero worry with how Rising Sun turns out.
>>
>>53140469
If you do get A.S. - get the version with the Recon expansion. The core game already has 'an expansion' built into it now, but the Recon expansion just sweetens the deal on replay-ability.
>>
>>53140469
I haven't got it yet but I ordered the new one (with the additional expansions bundled in). Seems pretty good game.
>>
To the person who posted in the last thread about their 6 ikea tables, could you take a photo of one? I am trying to picture what you're talking about but can only think of those cheap little kid tables
>>
>>53133912
I'm confused. On one hand, I doubt it's a cash grab. No one would look at Deadly Premonition and think it's a gold mine waiting to be tapped. So there's probably someone who genuinely likes the game behind it. That being said. Rising Star Games is pretty pathetic. Their portfolio of projects is absolutely tiny and none of it is boardgaming. If it ends up an amazing game, then great! I will buy it. I would put the odds of that being really low however. It's hard to say much more, we really don't know anything else about the game.
>>
>>53135238
>Is there anyway to fix Terra Mystica so that it's not broken?
It' not broken as it is. Stop trolling.

>>53136321
>There are supposed to be at least 4 races that are well balanced against each other. I just don't know which 4 of the races they are. :(
This only applies to tournament play. Unless you're planning on becoming a Terra Mystica pro, then don't bother.
>>
>>53132781
Small World has a wargame theme, but there are no interesting wargame or area control decisions in the game.

Ultimately, it's much closer to an engine builder than any sort of wargame, since the only interesting or relevant decisions you're making involve counting future income based on the number of turns left and the rate of decay of your engine.
>>
>>53137518
I'm kind of late, but Quartermaster General.

If you're into wargames, then there's a metric ton of them. "No Retreat!" series pretty much always involves one side playing Axis.
>>
>>53135581
Try this:
>Monsters don't activate the turn they enter the dungeon, but villains do.
>Whenever a monster were to spawn in a black triagle tile, roll a die: On 1 no monster spawns, on 2-3 one monster spawns, on 4-5 two monsters spawn, on 6 three monsters spawn.
>You can buy a healing surge for 15xp
At least in Castle Ravenloft it makes the game more aggro but you'll be getting more treasure and should be getting enough exp to negate the worst events (plus there's no bullshit like mark of the wolf or a million volcanic blasts in a 99% volcanic vents dungeon). So it feels more like you're fighting through the hordes of darkness and less like you're barely surviving bad RNG.
>>
>>53136409
>>53137237
My friend got upset because I called KD:M DungeonQuest with Dark Souls combat stapled for the lulz.
But it really is. Misery simulators, the both of them. But at least DungeonQuest is the fun kind of misery, kinda like watching an extremelly persistent noob play Dragon's Lair at the arcade.
>>
>>53137226
So long as they don't start making stupid changes to accomodate SJWs and company-destroying executives like vidja and Magic did, we'll be ok.
>>
File: IMG_6927.jpg (173KB, 880x282px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6927.jpg
173KB, 880x282px
Dumb question I know but is anyone else familiar with ancient games like Ur?
>>
>>53142285
If by familiar you mean having heard of Ur, and vaguely knowing how to play, then yes.
I don't know of any more though, other than the obvious chess, go, and backgammon. And some Ancient Greek drinking games...
>>
>>53142453
I mean play it regularly, I'm a big abstract fan and a fan of gambling games like Chinchiro. (Which by the way, speaking of drinking games works great with shots) I ask out of curiosity and in the case of Ur what rule set do you use?

What kinda Ancient Greek drinking games do you play?
>>
>>53142285
Chess variants are probably the most interesting ones. Look into Chaturanga, Chaturaji, Sittuyin, etc.

For some of the more ancient games, we don't really have an accurate idea of what the rules were. Senet, Mehen, Patolli, and Bul are like this.
>>
File: pic2625790.jpg (647KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
pic2625790.jpg
647KB, 600x600px
Tell me about Runebound bgg, is it the Heroes of Might and Magic board game I've always wanted? Is it at least better than Talisman? Is combat really resolved by throwing pogs into the air?
>>
>>53142587
No, kinda, yes.

That's what I remember at least.
>>
>>53142523
Kottabos, I haven't actually played it. It involves flinging the dregs left over from traditional Greek wine at targets named by other players, and required a lot of skill, or drunken confidence.

Another Greek one is just trying to drink out of these very shallow and wide communal drinking bowls without spilling it everywhere...

The rule set I use for Ur is basically the one in this video, but I wish I knew how the gambling mechanisms alluded to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZskjLq040I
>>
>>53142587
Probably not, yes, yes and the pogs system is actually a lot better than you are probably thinking.
>>
>>53141729
Looks good, thanks. When will they stop writing the name of the game on the game booooaaaard
>>
Does anyone know like, a good board game for two players that isn't too loaded with baggage? I live with my grandmother since her husband died and she's been playing bridge for decades to keep her mind sharp, but recently she's gotten bored with it. I thought I might try to find something fun we could play together.

She likes quizzes, murder mysteries and puzzles.
>>
>>53144478
Diamonds is a solid modern trick-taking game that might get her attention.
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective is a very solid cooperative mystery solving exercise.
And there's plenty of modern two player abstracts that aren't too complicated.
Onitama
The Duke
Hive
Santorini
etc.
>>
>>53144667

Thank you, I'll look these up.
>>
>>53144478
Obligatory Patchwork and Jaipur recommendation.
>>
>>53144478
Biblios is also a great card game, quite strategic and not too complicated. Set collection game, get the most points in a certain suit and you win a d6 worth of points. Card drafting phase > auction phase > count and award points.
>>
>>53144478
>>53144667
Seconding Onitama and Hive, both are very nice abstracts that require a different way of thinking as compared to chess
>>
File: 1485230257084.gif (2MB, 208x200px) Image search: [Google]
1485230257084.gif
2MB, 208x200px
Could you guys give me/point me towards a quick rundown of the combat rules in Kemet? I heard that resolving battles is non-random and it involves card, where some cards have strong combat value while weaker ones eliminate enemy troops permanently?
>>
Which color do you go for in board games if it's still available?

I'm a red guy. Second choices are purple, white and black. I hate green and yellow.
>>
>>53146467
Black, orange, grey, red, purple, green, blue, yellow. In that order.

If my girl is playing she goes yellow, green, purple.
>>
>>53146467
Red=Purple>Green>Orange>Black>White>Yellow

>>53146348
You have three stats in a battle. Strength, Wounds, and Defense.
Strength is derived from the number of units you have, plus a value on the combat card you play, plus any relevant special abilities you've acquired.
Wounds and Shields are derived from your combat card and special abilities.

You have a hand of combat cards with varying strength, wounds and shields. Each player will pick one card to discard from their hand without playing, and one card to play for the combat. When your hand is empty you will get all of them back.

Higher strength score wins the battle, ties go to defender. Loser must retreat his units to a neighboring neutral territory or sacrifice them, losing them but getting resources back. If the attacker won he gets a permenant victory point.

For every wound you have in the combat the other player loses one troop. Every shield negates one wound.

That's most of the essentials.
>>
>>53144478
Twixt, breakthru, jumpin, and/or evade all of the 3m bookshelf collection
>>
>>53146467
Black>Grey>Light Blue>Yellow>Orange>Red>Blue
>>
>>53146467
Brown>everything else
>>
Anyone has experience with Tabletop Simulator?
I'm considering buying a 4 pack for a few friends.
Do you have to pay for every game? (I'm seeing Scythe and Zombiecide for 8 bucks) Or are there ways free ways to get 'em?
>>
>>53141282
>This only applies to tournament play. Unless you're planning on becoming a Terra Mystica pro, then don't bother.

I was thinking of it from a different stand point. I'd like to know so that if I want to teach new players the game, and still allow players with a bit of experience to play on a reasonably equal footing, then it would be nice to know the balance. I'd give the more experienced players the 'less powerful' races, and the new players the stronger races so that they'd be able to play on a more even footing.
>>
>>53147379
No. Those are "DLC" which is a company's sad attempt at getting you to buy a digital copy of their game, block you from trying before you buy, and not making their own optimized app.

You buy TTS once and you can make or play anything available.
>>
>What's that one game that has great promise, and everything looks good on the surface, but underneath is your worst nightmare?
Ponte sodding Vecchio. Great art, decent components, but it's just a dry dusty eurogame
>Could you fix it and how?
Just make the mechanics more thematic, I guess. Less bidding, more "Ha! I just played this card - that means I get more money!"
The new Star Wars Risk. It's always a hard sell, what with it technically being Risk and all, but when I get a group that's willing to give it a go, it's pretty damn fun.
>>53146467
I just go with whatever colour nobody else wants/the one least likely to be picked.
>>
>>53147379
It supports the steam workshop which that community is very active, there was a working version of that dark souls 3 demo they showed off within a day.
>>
>>53142073
It has already began
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iA1pLuPxR4
>>
>>53147379
You only have to pay for the official DLC games that have been added. You can get just about any reasonably popular game for "free" through the Steam workshop, which is technically piracy, if you care at all.

I've played around with it a lot for trying out games I was interested in and playing through the Gloomhaven kickstarter campaign while waiting for my own copy.
>>
>>53148020

That's a conversation literally decades old. Staying true to the old source material means old criticisms of it are drudged back up.
>>
I do have a slight moral quandary thing.

I want to make a game that, on paper, is basically project Elite. A real time shooting game about sci fi elite soldiers running through a base to complete objectives.

That said, should this just be something where I go ahead or not? ?I guess I just need the push for it, since i haven't even looked at Project Elite beyond the general description yet...
>>
>>53144478
accordion solitaire
>>
>>53141176
I actually just moved and gave them away, so I can't take a picture for you.

You might have the right ones in mind... They could be used as a kiddie table or as an end table. I think if you search "Lack" on Ikea's website you'll find them.
>>
Does anyone have any pointers for Race for the Galaxy? I seem to do fine in my group but one of our regular guests runs absolute TRAINS on us, frequently winning by 20 points.
>>
>>53148020
Social justice retards are meaningless, so long as executives don't use them and "market research" as an excuse to syphon company assets into bonuses for themselves, we're ok.
>>
>>53149138
You can't trademark game systems unless it's something 100% new that can be patented.
You can legally make and sell the D&D Adventure System games by removing the IP and changing every single instance of keyword language. Because that's the only thing in a game that can actually be copyrighted.

Of course, it's best if you change things for the better when you're basing your design on another game, and you most likely will. Game design takes a lot of trial and error for you to arrive to the correct game feel you want from your product and from now to the point that your game is ready to hit the shelf it may be much more different and unique. So don't sweat it.
>>
>>53147390
>I'd give the more experienced players the 'less powerful' races, and the new players the stronger races so that they'd be able to play on a more even footing.
I'm pretty sure an experienced player will always win regardless of race. Though it is true that certain races are easier to "get" for new players than others.
>>
File: 1365812965578.jpg (23KB, 411x292px) Image search: [Google]
1365812965578.jpg
23KB, 411x292px
Which is better, The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire or Great Western Trail?

We're gonna pick one of the two to rent and play during the weekend and haven't played either before
>>
>>53150210
>Does anyone have any pointers for Race for the Galaxy?
Play 1000 times against the AI to train yourself.
>>
>>53151416
In a non-tournament setting, if people of the same skill level play, will the one with the most overpowered race always win?
>>
>>53152657
No, the strongest race has about a 33% win percentage in 4 player games.
>>
>>53152793
That really isn't that large of a percent chance to win. If you assume that each player has a 25% chance to win, then that's only an 8% increase. That isn't much of an advantage
>>
>>53135686
What fucking game was Rob and the playtesters playing for 4 years that we got this? Were they squeamish about chasing glory? So much of the game is useless when mid- to late-game is over before the first winter? What's with all the rule discrepancies? Why is this an adventure game disguised as a 4x lite/ecomomic machine builder?
What the fuck is wrong with Rob that he won't acknowledge the game is jank as fuck?
This is all from a guy who won the last two games, too. This is a system that buckles under its own retarded weight the more boxes that are uncovered.
Why are some rules only in the captains booke? Why are some rules either in three places or none at all?

I'm pretty new to the boardgames world, is this what things are like when rushed? How can it be rushed when it was in developement before Pandemic Legacy? Is this normal in board games?
My reaction learned from the videogames world is to say "What the fuck, (Rob Daviau/Ken "shit idiot" Levine), why did you think any of this was a good idea?
>>
>>53152897
The swing is a little worse on the bottom races but worst is still capable of winning a 4 person 15% of the time.
>>
>>53142587
You want to pick up Titan if you want anything remotely resembling Heroes of Might and Magic in board game form

>>53146467
Purple>Orange>Green>Red>Yellow>Blue>Black>White
>>
>>53153222
If it's that bad with some of the worse races, then people should just not use them
>>
File: pic191492_md.jpg (117KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pic191492_md.jpg
117KB, 500x500px
>>53137518
Tannhauser!
>>
>>53142285
I've played varieties of Tafl.
>>
>>53154135
God, I want a new edition of this so bad.
>>
What are your impressions about Fortune and Glory, specifically when 3 players are concerned? Would you compare with anything, what's the feeling you got playing it?
>>
>>53154370
Isn't that a 100% win for the jarl if the player knows how to play correctly?
>>
Blackbeard, or Merchants and Maruaders?
What do they do, what do they do differently, and what do they do best?
Need something to replace seafall, and I love all things pirate.
Gonna go torrent Sid Meirs Pirates now
>>
File: Capture.png (429KB, 1187x823px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
429KB, 1187x823px
Jesus Christ
>>
>>53155030
That's only going to work if it's like 1000 blank white cards or something. Something with a fair amount of mechanic wonkyness that leads to hilarity, and off kilter lore.
Maybe it's a sandwich making game, zack?
>>
>>53155056
But didn't you see how those two guys that (gasp!) got a diploma in GAME DESIGN have a nice, Ron Weasley-like British accent and surely they will pour their heart and soul into it? And SWERY will, uh, be there. Somewhere.
>>
>>53154771
It's been around three years since I've gotten my copy to the table. Maybe four. Which should say something.
It's pretty random, and has very little player interaction. Primary purpose when we were still playing it was so my wife's friends could dress up as mockeries of the terrible character cosplay "art" and ham up bad accents while throwing dice for a couple hours. Which is worth something, I suppose.
>>
>>53155117
Thanks
>>
>>53155030
I don't gt it, what's so bad here?
>>
>>53155056
>When it rains in Greenvale, a red mist descends upon the town and the killer strikes. A suspect from the line-up of the current player is eliminated. Although the tragic death of one of your suspects may be chilling, it also reduces the number of people under your jurisdiction putting you in a stronger position as an agent. Of course, it also puts the killer one step closer to completing their goal. Your intentions when playing with weather must remain known only to you.

Wow...what a bad idea. So I'm either a killer or a killer.
>>
>>53155152
Read the pitch and concept.
>>
>>53154607
You and me both.

>>53146467
Blue and green are best

>>53153431
What's Titan like?
>>
File: 1463396993495.jpg (226KB, 1000x587px) Image search: [Google]
1463396993495.jpg
226KB, 1000x587px
Anybody gotten a chance to play their copy yet? Mine just showed in the mail today, but it'll probably be a bit before I can give it a go.
>>
>>53149138
Please do it. After discovering this game late it broke my heart seeing how it turned out.

I think the original creator even said someone else should take his design and re-implement since he's quitting the business

Just stay away from copying artwork, weapon and creature names and you should be good
>>
>>53155227
>>53155227
Which region do you live in? US west/east or what? I'm still waiting on my copy.
>>
>>53155227

Newp. Mine arrived the other day as well. Ain't played it yet.
>>
>>53155185
>We are creating a 2-4 player board game based on the captivating world and characters of beloved videogame Deadly Premonition
Is the fact that I never played this game why I don't get it?
>>
>>53155030
>>53155152
That's the budget for a professionally illustrated deck of cards.
That's not game making money.
>>
Hey /bgg/, I need you to do me a solid.
I'm trying to remember the name of an old kid's game, MAYBE from Hasbro. It had little plastic balls, pretty colorful, and some transparent tunnels to run the balls through.
To be perfectly honest, I'm not even sure if it was a game or a toy, even, but please, give me a hand, it's killing me.
>>
>>53155227
If you're gonna keep shilling you could at least use a different picture.
>>
>>53155799
You don't need to play the game to see how ludicrous the concept is, you're looking for the killer but you're also killing people so they do not think you're the killer. Made by two guys with zero credit. Plus it's a story driven game with 60 cards.
>>
>>53155598
Boston. US East. It came around 4pm.

>>53155864
This is literally the first time I've posted about it, ever. That picture's the first result on google image search.

>>53155608
How do you feel about the packaging? My winged knight came loose, but fortunately stayed more or less in his assigned spot.
>>
Is Cosmic Encounter really that good or is Vassel just a nostalgic faggot?
>>
>>53156298
Nothing is as good as Vasel thinks CE is. But it is really good.
>>
>>53156399
Why? I mean a guy is asking 60 bucks for CE + Cosmic Incursion, it's kinda hard to gauge if the game's actually good from online videos.
>>
>>53155864
I used that picture last thread and I was telling people I planning on selling it because I heard it was bad. It's just the best picture Google gives you. By the way, I sold it for $150.
>>
>>53156489
Cosmic Incursion is the best expac yet out and is currently OOP so that's not a bad deal, though yuo can probably get both cheaper if you wait for a Cosmic Incursion reprint.
>>
>>53156298
Its an excellent party game where theres tons of zany bs flying around if thats what you wanna know.
There will always be something stupid happening every game
>>
>>53147210
my (literal) nigga
>>
>>53156679
Good replayability then? I guess I'm not too keen on the art.
>>
>>53156734
Amazing replayability, the art is entirely tangential to the theme. Only the alien cards have art and you won't be looking at those often.
>>
>>53156762
I've looked into it some more, it does look like a good game, only drawback being it would mostly be a 3 player affair and it seems best suited for 4+ players.
>>
>>53156298
It's fun, you keep wanting to play because you want another crazy bullshit power but don't care that powers are bullshit because alliances will generally hate you more the better your power is.

I wouldn't put it as high as Vasel does, but I can see why someone would.
>>
>>53156298
It's shit and Vassel is a just a plain old faggot.
>>
>>53155886
That sounds accurate to the game. The killer was one of the investigators going around as the raincoat killer, killing sometimes to cover his tracks. So as far as logic goes, that sounds like a Deadly Premonition board game.

Now how well it plays, I'm gonna have to really mull over it. It's hard to judge, and the no names do worry me. I doubt anyone would just pick Deadly Premonition because they think it's a gold mind though so I have a little hope someone had an idea and loves the game as opposed to say Dark Souls where they really just cashed in and made some pretty models. I dunno, the odds are against it but I don't see it as hatable.
>>
>>53156937
I've played it at 3P quite a few times and it's fine, but there's definitely an advantage for being on the offensive as you get to ask the third player to join in before the defensive player does
>>
File: titan.jpg (234KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
titan.jpg
234KB, 1024x768px
>>53155195
for some fucked up reason I can't seem to respond to your post properly, so have a pastebin link instead regarding Titan https://pastebin.ca/3810412

pic is the masterboard and one of the battleboards
>>
Got to play Mechs vs Minions finally. Really fun game. A liiiiittle worried given the ending felt like we had a little too good of control of the situation and dragged on a little bit just trying to push the bomb to the end already, but that's likely from just being only the first mission. I can see the game in later missions getting a lot more intense, and we did have our moments where we fucked up and had a good laugh. Looking forward to playing more missions another day.
>>
>>53137596
I play Space Alert by going hard - I give new players a quick summary of how the cards buttons work, and then a wrap up of things not to do.

When we lose, the players that I want to continue playing with are the ones who want to try another go. The people who just got confused or pissed off or needed to be told exactly what to do for each turn, I hand them Love Letter or something equally light.

It's my favorite game to lose, edging out Ghost Stories and Forbidden Desert as my favorite true co-op.

As to the OP? I'd say Study in Emerald 1e. I love it to see death, but there's just so much going on and you need a very special group to play it right considering all the hidden roles and intracacies.
>>
>>53157939
Shit, this looks really fun to play, but looks like its only super rare and expensive now.
>>
>>53158072
On the bright side, its production value looks very easy to reproduce.
>>
>>53158093
Looks like there are lots of communities that have made online versions and even an app version, so that's very heart warming to see.
>>
>>53158072
the BGG marketplace prices seem somewhat reasonable considering it's been OOP for at least five years, there's a great amount of components in the Valley Games reprint and they are really T H I C C so I feel like the price is definitely justified

if you're still uncertain, I've heard that the AI is good in the app version but I don't own any Apple products
>>
payed Caverna last monday and had an amazing time. Thing is I normally hate Germans and I'm unsure if I want to drop $120 aud on it.
Anything similar and cheaper?
>>
>>53158943
A Feast for Odin is similar and better at the same price point.
>>
>>53149960
Yeah they were the ones I was thinking of :)
How did you play with them? Just have people sit on the floor?
>>
Aww shiet MB is on sale:

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=16e467557e0e2f9c8c4e7d44f&id=ccd6132f67

This game is awesome. At $11 off, I kinda wished I waited a couple weeks from when I bought it. Get the Set Rotation expansion too, it's only $20.
>>
>>53159182
>No UK Set Rotation sale
Sad
>>
File: pic2877973_md.png (346KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
pic2877973_md.png
346KB, 500x375px
>>53154607
I'm still waiting for your take on it. I wanted fireteam zero and you said something to the effect that it reminds you of Tannhauser. What's so special about Tannhauser?
>>53156682
I'm white lol I love neutral colors and brown is the most rich neutral color to me.
>>
>>53157939
Wow, that sounds intense. Pity it's so OOP.
>>
File: pic372463.jpg (816KB, 695x839px) Image search: [Google]
pic372463.jpg
816KB, 695x839px
>>53159561
yeah, the tech tree is insane for a board game given the requirements and probability of landing on the correct locations to progress into higher-tier stuff, I've yet to get past second tier myself on the games I've played because I made the most absurdly broken accidental houserule the first two times I played regarding army movement with Titans and Angels, then when I played a 2P game with proper movement rules I found my friend's Titan on the second battle after he had split his army containing the Titan and crushed him
>>
>>53159182
Sell me on this anon.
>>
>>53159973
You play as a parody anime card game collector who attends tournaments. There's a time period pre-tournament where you buy and sell cards at the market, open packs (keeping the only good card), and assemble a badass killer deck combo while also building a unique collection for pimp-points.

Then you rek every fucker in the tournament by playing 6 (sometimes more) cards in a specific order, taking your opponent's cards and strategy into account, trying to score based on your effects, timing, opponent cards, and your goal. Also there's a meta for both elements and types (cards have both) and when you use meta cards you get bonuses. Most tournament points wins.

The 2P variant is best 2/3 tournaments. The 3P+ game awards VP for everything. The best variant has players scrapping their entire decks for cash at the end of the tournament, both because it's realistic and because you get to start afresh.

This is all realtime, so you're trying to sell good cards for money without helping your opponents, keeping an eye on their decks as you build yours, and all the while making a central strategy plus meta cards.
>>
>>53159182
They couldn't wait one week for me to get paid, could they?
>>
>>53155799
There's also the fact it's just a knockoff of twin peaks, so it's the kickstarter made board game of a knock off video game of a lynchian drama of the early 90's

That alone makes it sound like shit
>>
>>53160975
I would not say it was knock off territory. They do their own thing for the most part and mostly just make it as a love letter to the style.
>>
File: wtf did you just say.jpg (48KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
wtf did you just say.jpg
48KB, 620x400px
>>53160975
>knockoff of twin peaks
Thanks for reminding me I'll never get to see s3 with Harry and Coop
>>
>>53159514
>I'm still waiting for your take on it.
Mostly I'm into it for the flavor, it's a bit of a mess mechanically. The line of sight system is FANTASTIC, don't get me wrong, and the glut of special abilities and equipment and their interaction is 10/10, but the core engine for resolving combat and the like is very unapologetic ameritrash of the worst sort.
A basic attack is:
>Attacker rolls Xd10 indicated by weapon type.
>Each individual result >=(10-Attacker's combat stat) is a success.
>Defender rolls 4d10
>Each individual result >=(10-Defender's stamina stat) results in a wound.
It's really, really swingy. And the mitigation tools mostly consist of spending resources to increase a stat by 1 temporarily, which does very little for characters with mediocre stats, but makes characters with already high stats ridiculously strong.

Which is why I'd like to see a new edition.
The rest of the game is such a fantastic little engine, you could painlessly houserule into it pretty much any conceivable gametype and it would work well, and the factions are all interesting, unique, and have a load of viable different squad builds.
Great flavor.
Great art.
Passable prepainted minis.
Great LoS rules.
Great faction design,
Shit combat resolution.

But if you just want to chuck some dice around and blow up demonic nazi stormtroopers with a russian chick in tesla power armor, I can't point you to anything better.
>>
>>53162236
Correction to last greentext line:
>Each individual result >=(10-Defender's stamina stat) results in a success being canceled, uncancelled successes are each a wound.
>>
Is Bang! good enough without expansions?
>>
Pandemic Iberia seems just like a reskin. Is it richer mechanically and in variety than core game of Pandemic? Same question for Cthulhu variant (which I know has dice).
>>
>>53163097
I second this question, and is the dice game any fun?
>>
>>53163097
It's better WITHOUT expansions; the deck can just get too big and the game has a much larger chance of dragging on too long (I've played 30-45 minute games, it should max at 20-25). If you feel the need to add, limit yourself to one expansion at a time, never ever consider playing with the full deck.

>>53163668
Dice game is the superior version, it plays faster, gives the same basic feel/flow of the game, and you get to roll dice.
>>
>>53163097
No, it's not. It work on player elimination above all, the cards are really repetitive (bang, miss, weapons) and the rules are blurry and unclear as fuck. Still fun as a party game, the stupid kind of.

>>53163150
Never played Iberia but Pandemic Cthulhu I have it and it's definitely not just a reskin. The dice adds just enough randomness to include a "push your luck" aspect and will sometimes punish you for a daring move. Il personally love it.
>>
Coup seems really fun.
>>
>>53158990
Not unless there were over 5 players (which was rare for my group.)

I had 4 arm chairs and an adjustable computer desk chair that worked well. The overall feel was playing a game on a really big coffee table from your couch.

It did sometimes feel low. But being able to set it up and break it down as needed worked well for my 1 BR apartment.
>>
Picked up Tigris and Euphrates as well as Fealty for £37 combined from my local stores sale stock.

Think I got a pretty good deal honestly. Tigris&Euphrates is fun and as a quick 2 player game me and my friend found Fealty surprisingly fun with a decent amount of thought but light enough to play in 15-30 minutes. Not sure it would scale better to more players though.
>>
>>53164717
amazing pick up
>>
>>53164265
Overpriced for what it is, especially considering the expansion is needed to take it from skeleton to anorexic.

>>53164717
>Fealty
Really underrated abstract (tho there's hundreds of those) and it scales well. Components aren't great, but that's Asmadi for you. Good pickup anon
>>
Any thoughts on Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition? It's finally back in stock and I've been eyeing it.
>>
File: MoM2ed.jpg (208KB, 1073x639px) Image search: [Google]
MoM2ed.jpg
208KB, 1073x639px
I like it, but then I've painted the figures for it and so I'm probably more invested in it emotionally than others.
I played a 5 player game of it that I thought was only okay (I really don't think the game scales well with more players, the app tries with more enemy health and fewer turns but it the difficulty increase nowhere near matches the extra players), but I've since played games with fewer players and it has been really fun. 2 players is especially really hard. With 5 players it really feels like you all split up and are able to explore every search token and room on the map, which takes away a lot of the decisions between "Do I search this and hope it's useful, or do I explore this room in the hopes of revealing more of the plot.", with 5 players you just search them all.

I played a 2 player game yesterday and another today, and we lost both during the "finale" (one barely, and one we didn't even come close to winning) and it felt as though we were overstretched and scrambling to keep everything together - which I love. I think 3 players is the sweet spot, a good chance to win most scenarios but without having so many investigators that it feels like you are able to explore everything.

I'd give it a good 8/10, but with the caveat that if you play with 2 players you will lose a lot, with 5 you will win a lot and you will roll a LOT of dice. If you like the sound of those, and are ok with an app driving your games go for it. The scenarios I've played have also been very different, one was an investigation with almost 0 conflict until the finale, which was really fun, but contrasting that there is at least one scenario (I haven't played them all) which had waves of opponents to wade through in combat, so dependant on scenario there's something for everyone's tastes.

Image related - my autism snapchats (no bully) of my game from earlier today, we lost when both our investigators were driven mad on the same turn by a star spawn.
>>
>>53142073
I mean, how would that even work? Puerto Rico has to recolor the slave tokens blue?
>>
>>53165634
But then it's racist against MLP fans.
>>
>>53165543
That's a pretty good assessment of the player count.

I also like the game and would recommend picking it up. Because the app runs things the setup is nowhere near MoM v1, which is a huge benefit. The app can also add in various shticks which weren't always apparent in v1.

I do somewhat miss the GM from v1 though.
>>
>>53165836
you can still play 1ed even if you have 2ed
>>
>>53165543
I would like to add that you should go through the trauma decks, and think about removing some of the instant-end-the-game conditions.

I had a close to 6 hour game suddenly "end" because one guy got hurt,got the card where he had to be on the same tile as another investigator with a bladed weapon, and then instantly "won."

We ignored it and continued, but goddamn is that a kick in the teeth after 6 hours. I'd rather lose because of the game itself, and not bad luck with trauma.
>>
>>53165833
It's Ok, everyone hates bronies. It's one of the few things even 4chan and tumblr can agree on.
>>
>>53166217
I don't agree.

That insanity card is HUGELY specific, and generally quite easy for the group to avoid. The key is people KNOWING what the insanity cards are before play.

To win with "One of The Thousand" insanity you must START your turn on a square with exactly ONE invest and have a bladed weapon you win, as it is only available in 3 player games it is often fairly easy to avoid, especially as the players decide which order the turns are taken in. Let's see the scenarios possible:

OoTT is in space with 1 other investigator: all non insane invests will want the non insane invest to go 1st, insane will likely say he wants to go first. As there is a disagreement you decide randomly which invest will decide (as this is a 3+ insane card there is at LEAST a 2/3 chance the insane player doesn't get to chose).

OoTT is in a space with 2+ invests: sane invests try to make insane investigator go first so they can plan their moves around where he finishes. Insane will probably just go along with it or its pretty close to revealing he has this specific insanity.

OoTT is in a space with 0 investigators: basically the same as 2+, just try to make him go first.

If the insane player camps an important square, this is still unlikely to win the game as you just put 2+ invests on the square with him and he doesn't kill you. If he is a weak character you can also choose to try and rob him to take the weapon. The only way he can win now is robbing it back, and that reveals his insanity.

Remember one of the insanities is "suspicious" which means you win completely as normal. By taking out cards that mean you have to play around the insane player this card is basically worthless.

tldr, taking out the insanities can take more out of the game. Sure you lost and it sucked, but the truth is either you got unlucky and the insane character was allowed to move first and kill someone, which is the only way he can win, or your group likely misplayed and let him win.
>>
>>53165923
2nd edition does not come with the resources to play 1st edition.
I'm fine with that. Being the GM always seemed to fall to the guy who owned the game and knew the rules well, so it was always me.
I hated drawing through that deck of cards for monster attacks, I hated setting everything up and reading through the scenario book, and it definitely was a game where I needed to not play to win or I would crush the players.
>>
>>53166585
>2nd edition does not come with the resources to play 1st edition.
>I'm fine with that. Being the GM always seemed to fall to the guy who owned the game and knew the rules well, so it was always me.
Yeah, unless you got rid of 1ed you can still play it.

Frankly my 1ed hasn't seen play since I got 2ed, and doesn't seem likely to soon. I haven't played all the 2ed scenarios yet so I haven't replayed any, I'm hoping for good replayability so I don't have to fork out any time soon for the expansions which I would have to paint because my autism wouldn't let me field plastic next to painted. If the replayability isn't good, I may have to mix in some clunky old 1ed for some variety.
>>
>>53153200
It's a Plaid Hat Game.

Nice art, great theme, mechanics beyond the pale (or shallow and unimaginative)
>>
>>53167003
But but Rob Legacy Davaiu
:^)
>>
>>53167072
He's great at slapping that mechanic onto an existing system, he's clearly not good at designing his own game
>>
>>53153200
>is this what things are like when rushed?

No, it probably wasn't rushed. Seafall is what happens when people are okay with producing mediocre games.

If you're making a game and it isn't GREAT then you should probably work on making it great or ditch it. The world has enough great games to make mediocre ones look like shit.
>>
With all the talk about Terra Mystica lately, is there anywhere to play it online to try it out first?
>>
>>53169309
I'm tempted to just spitefully tell you to google it.

Check out tabletopia.

Google it.
>>
>>53169309
They just put an app out on iOS. I think it's on steam too.

It's breddy gud. Tutorial does a good job of walking you through everything.
>>
>>53169304
It had like four years, though?
Some of that was Pandemic, but I really wonder what and how playtesters were playing.
>>
>>53169771
And Mass Effect: Andromeda had 5 years and $40 million dollars.
>>
>>53134285
Descent 2. I'm in love with the concept of dungeons crawler and assymetric win condition. But when I played it... Men that was disapointing.
We played my first (and unique) game with my SO, one of her friend and one of mine. It was the first mission with the goblins stealing the haystacks, just after the tutorial. I played the game by the book and made, what I thought, was the best move : blocked the way with a dog, used the others to attack the most vulnerable hero and the gob to get the haystack ans run.
They didn't liked it. And nether did I.
It felt fucking unfair, every time they killed the wolf it was my turn and I would put another one in it's place (thanks to the never ending supply of backup).
I was constantly attacking the same player (my gf) because it was the most vulnerable and, once she was down, she would lost her turn just to get back up.
The others couldn't help her because it would mean loosing the scenario.
Long story short the game ended with an heated argument and a crying girlfriend.
I felt bad for inviting our friend for this and the bullying the game implies.

But, on a side note, we get to try Road to Legend (the app to play in coop) the other day and it was fuckinf awesome. We just played it my gf and I and she told me she enjoyed it a lot and want to do it again.
So, get the app !

Ps: the for my english, I am not a native speaker
>>
>>53165634
I'm thinking more of WotC is doing making their IP storyline about nigglets to get the tumblrina points at the same time they make the game a 1-good-card-per-set-and-it's-ultrarare lottery to make life easier on the "secondary market" speculators. And then when you complain about the game being shit they throw tumblr at you because complaining about bad gameplay and abusive business practices means you want to kill all niggers.

tl:dr using "progressive" shit as a shield against critizism of their kikkery
>>
>>53170290
Jesus fuck, are you all functioning adults?
Descent pits a player against a team of players in a competitive setting. It's no more "bullying" or "unfair" than, say, wiping a player off the map in Risk because he's in the way of your objective.
Of course you enjoyed Road to Legend. There's no way monsters on autopilot cna present an interesting challenge.
That aside, when a player is down the best option is to have another player revive them so the downed player can take both actions on that same turn. It's not losing time, you literally get paid back for it in the same round and investing in time like that allows the heroes to do stuff like chip away at monsters until they can wipe out a whole group in a round.
Also did you explain them how the scenario went? There's a second part and the goblins looting the haystacks doesn't mean a loss, the mission boss simply has a bit more health. A three heroes group should be able to blow him up in a round anyway.
>>
Been playing a lot of Small World lately, just got the expansions and it's so fucking great.

I've been looking at Dark Souls, Dead of Winter and Shadows Over Camelot. Any thoughts on those? I'm a big fan of co-op games with a betrayal element thrown in.
>>
>>53171636
most reports on Dark Souls say its pretty shit save for the bossfights, but you have to grind on regular enemies to get there, which is pretty boring.
>>
>>53150531
>>53155571

this is actually really encouraging. thank you!
>>
>Go on Tabletop Sim
>Some guy scanned and modded all of Illuminati
>It sounds interesting so hop in and start reading rules
>The game doesn't start, as everyone in the room spend like twenty minutes just talking about conspiracy theories
I guess it was fitting
>>
>>53170408
The funny thing is that the current story is a bunch of white dudes showing up to tell a bunch of Black dudes that their way of life is wrong.
>>
>>53171636
Get BSG it's better than Shadows Over Camelot or Dead of Winter unless you really hate the theme.
>>
>>53172541
>BSG
Only get this if you like 4-5 hour long games with a very flat intensity level.
>>
>>53171102
If you play to win as the DM it does feel like bullying because you're not even implying but outright telling a player that he's the weakest link and will get fucked. Or even worse in other scenarios where you just need to block the biggert threat and instead you're letting the other players know what they do doesn't matter.

And if you don't play that way, it's nearly impossible for the heroes to lose.

Descent is great when you want to make your pals feel great about beating you for a couple dozen hours. But it's not a really good co-op game without RtL, and it's an actually bad 1vMany game.
>>
>>53172494
The even funnier thing is, that's exactly what tumblr does all the time, but they go ballistic if anyone not from their in-group even dares bring up the fact that there's factors other than "muh racism" into why nigglets have it harder.
>>
>>53171636
SOC and Dead of Winter are proven hits. Dark Souls is being reported as a boring grindfest with toy soldier quality minis by people who expected a game, and as "a great experience" from people who just wanted Dark Souls merchandise. So YMMV.
>>
>>53172137
It's not an awful game, but it's clearly a SJG design. It's a negotiation Munchkin/CE type where everyone tries to stay in 2nd place as they build the engine to win, and the game ends when everyone's burned all their tools screwing everyone else over the turn before.
>>
>>53172796
What is a good 1vmany game in your opinion?
Alternatively what is a good dungeon crawl that isn't a race game in disguise.
>>
>>53172857
That sucks to hear about Dark Souls. I like the idea of it but it's kind of sad to hear the execution is bad. Are there any other games that have dungeon exploration mechanics? iirc the slip in Small World showed a few games, and one of which was a dungeon exploring game that had potential backstabbing. Love shit like that.
>>
>>53173416
Don't know about that one.
My favorite "explore a random dungeon and fight your way through" game is Castle Ravenloft.
My favorite "explore a random dungeon and die a fuckton to random shit" game is DungeonQuest second edition.
For a more D&D quick campaign feel there's Dungeon Saga and Descent. And for just seeing how many samey thugs you can kill before you go down there's Claustrophobia.
>>
>>53171102
Sorry dude but you're wrong. This guy >>53170290 has had the same experience a lot of people do with both Descent 2e and Imperial Assault. The scenarios are not properly balanced, and if both sides just play to win and have some idea of how the game works, one side will usually crush the other. It's made worse in Imperial Assault due to the Empire playing having scenario knowledge the players don't and the ability to "save up" and just buy a whole lotta bullshit to win the last mission and therefore the whole campaign.

The games are only fun if you approach them like an RPG where the DMs goal is to make everyone else have a good time. Or if you use the app that does this for you.
>>
>>53173022
>What is a good 1vmany game in your opinion?
Doom, Conan and Omega Protocol. Both sides have to play well to win, both sides have a chance to win, and focus-fucking a single player is not a viable strategy unless the human team is being super retarded in Omega Protocol.
>what is a good dungeon crawl that isn't a race game in disguise.
That's a much harder one, since "dungeon crawlers" are pretty much all race games, they just focus on different kinds of race
>speed
Descent 2e
HeroQuest
WarhammerQuest
Dungeon Saga
Super Dungeon Explore
>Endurance
Claustrophobia
Shadows of Brimstone
Myth

D&D: Castle Ravenloft/Legend of Drizzt/Wrath of Ashardalon are somewhere in between because they have so many random elements that you're never sure wether you're better off pressing forward or concentrating on what's already on the board and you don't really see the consequences of your actions until one or two turns after when monsters are piling on you and RNG is throwing volcanic explosions and poison mist your way.

Runebound, Mage Knight, Mice and Mystics, Gloomhaven and Massive Darkness are more "RPG in a box" adventure games than "crawlers". And Zombicide BP is just a skirmish game with a fantasy theme.

If what you really want is the dungeon delving feel however, you're pretty much limited to DungeonQuest, the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game and Tomb: Cryptmaster. But you won't be having the "kill a bunch of baddies on your way to treasure" with these. And you definately can't play DungeonQuest seriously.

I personally haven't found the "Diablo experience" in any game, but the ones that most approach it are the D&D games.
>>
This thread is bugged.
>>
>>53174761
SDE isn't really a speed race after the changes in FK (no tracker causing the boss to spawn so you just have tougher monsters coming out as you clear the tiles) so it's leaning more towards endurance these days. Other than that pretty much agree with your writeup, especially there's no really good Diablo-esque out there yet.
>>
>>53175577
You would think "make a random room and fill it with random monsters and loot, repeat until players are dead or reached their objective" would be rather easy to translate to board games. But here we are with a gaping hole where the Diablo board game should be.
>>
>>53175910
>1/2
I think SDE has the tools to do it (loads of dungeon tiles, oodles of monster types, massive loot decks) but it takes too many expansions to get there and I'm not willing to pay for it, still only have the original set.

I'd bet one of the hardest problems is balance, because unlike The Bard, you don't wanna just take the blank map scenario from Heroquest and drop a monster in every square. So you've gotta have limits on how many/what type of monsters, and then you need some form of switchable dungeon, which'd require either jigsaw type tiles, or a map with dry/wet erase options. And all this has to be playtested, or you're gonna drop bleh scenarios out on the market and people will bitch endlessly. This means you're either not going to have many scenarios OR you're going to have a lot, but they'll be in big expansions OR (and this is my favorite and one I wanna figure out personally) you need a small subscription type likePathfinder Adventure Paths/PFS, or HoN quarterly gazettes. I love the quarterly idea, because then you could add a single monster, couple new loot/spell items, give people the next 2-3 chapters in a campaign and knock one out every couple months. Either you need that, or a decent game, which someone tacks their own campaign/mod system onto (HotAC isn't just a co-op campaign, it's rules to create your own X-wing based system) which might happen one day, but I dunno what game is popular enough to do this, and so many dungeon crawlers are going for campaign expansions lately anyhow.

Beyond all this there's a bigger consideration: cost. Any of the above ideas are gonna have to retail for a boatload, because they're going to require lots of time to put together, test, print, and ship. Even worse, every dungeon crawler HAS to have plastic minis these days, and they've gotta be good sculpts. 12 Realms had a nice method of minis for the heroes and chits for mobs, but I think you gotta ditch the plastic altogether.
>>
>>53176167
>2/2
Again I like what HoN did, get some really top end art, pay good money for it, and use chunky tiles. The box will be lighter (kinda), you'll be able to have a lot more in it (definitely) and you can put out more content for the same price. I'm not sure it's doable though anymore, especially with KS out there tainting the expectations of the average gamer.

I'd say KD:M is a halfway step in the right direction here. You've got decent core mechanics that you could retheme and use the system for whatever story you want. Additionally it shows how you can use a persistent world based on player actions/experience, without resorting to Legacy stickers, and that's gonna make people happy because replay is increased. I'd say Too Many Bones has some nice ideas too, though not replayable, it's got a decent core idea by upgrading your character to change how they play, and it avoided the pimping a game through minis problem, but there's not enough THERE, there.

In the end it comes down to the simple fact that Diablo isn't a dungeon crawl, it's a western take on a JRPG (go kill stuff, level up, kill more, level, boss). The best way you're ever going to recreate that feel is with an actual RPG, or at least the core system around one and skipping the diplomacy/skill check parts of a scenario for straight up murder hobo-ing your way through a bunch of caves; and that really doesn't translate to board games.

>the above drunken rant was made on allergy pills and a couple glasses of wine, it may or may not hold up in the morning once I'm sober
>>
>>53176182
>though not replayable
I meant not a savable/persistent campaign here, each scenario/boss is replable. Clearly it's time for bed.
>>
>>53176167
I'd rather have pogs than chits and really don't know why they aren't used more in board games, people already have the "circular item with design = game piece" preconception ingrained from poker, checkers and yahtzee and you can fit almost as much art in a 28mm pog than in the art boxes of most card games.

But yeah, plastic is a bane on gaming a lot of concepts are being prized out of their target audience's wallet by the 2 kilos of plastic they need to contain to attract a couple fairweather normies. Just like graphics in vidja.
>>
>>53173416
Yeah, the thing is with Dark Souls is they completely flopped what you were looking for. The boss fights have some genuine fun in there, and the equipment could be cool to mix and match and find and use. The problem is the dungeon exploration element takes soooooo fuckin long to do. It's so tedious and time consuming and optimally you're gonna do it a couple of times. There's grinding in this game and it takes at least 2 of the 3 hours.
>>
>>53137226
what's the problem with this vid (except that they put SW Destiny first) ?
>>
>>53137226
I'm a normie who only got into this hobby about a year ago today. Ask me anything.
>>
>>53177438
What's your credit card number and PIN?
>>
>>53172857
>with toy soldier quality minis
This is disappointing, was planning on getting a Manus and a Twerk Demon eventually.
>>
>>53177529
5NIRD-M967Q-44FZX
>>
>>53162236
Ty very much, STEEV. Succinct and to the point. I might try to find a copy of it.
>>
>>53162236
>>53177876
>>53159514
Well that's all fine and dandy, but where the flying fuck is my Star Trek: Ascendancy review/battle report?
>>
>>53142073
You clearly haven't scouted reddit or bgg then
SJWs are rampant in the boardgames industry and have been since Wil Wheaton started doing tabletop
>>
>>53169309
The iOS app.

(There's also an online web-based AI, but it looks like shit.)
>>
>>53178701
It's really good for getting the basics down.
>>
>>53178084
>SJWs are rampant in the boardgames industry and have been since Wil Wheaton started doing tabletop
90% of the 'boardgames industry' is chess, backgammon and Uno, and the remaining 9% is Catan, Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne.

So no, you're almost completely wrong.
>>
>>53178729
Ok let me rephrase
Hobby boardgames (not including minitures) you tosser
>>
is anyone playing silver tower here?
I really love the game, but I feel that with 4 players it is too easy. I think it is most challenging with 2 players - the outcome can be anything.
How do you usually adjust difficulty with homebrew stuff?
my 2 options are (from bgg actually):
>with 3 players, monsters have 1.5x vigor
>with 4 players monsters have 2x vigor
or
Things act in initative order, starting with the runemarked player, then the next 'fastest' monster group, then one hero, then one more monster group etc, finishing with the slowest.
Any other experiences?
>>
>>53179364
Not the anon you're replying to, but an obnoxiously vocal minority is *STILL* a minority.
>>
>>53179364
So a tiny minority of a tiny minority of a tiny Internet circlejerk is full of SJW's?

Well then, don't frequent this circlejerk, problem solved.
>>
>>53178063
Talk to GF9. The real holdup there is getting exactly two friends to visit, and we STILL don't have the spoonhead and oo-mox expansions that were supposed to be out in september.
>>
>>53179364
Well then don't listen to the ten people like this you "tosser"
>>
>>53171636
>Been playing a lot of Small World lately, just got the expansions and it's so fucking great.

What makes it so great
>>
>>53182903
Nothing. It's just a pretty, gimmicky area control game. Anon will realize this in time.
>>
>tfw can't find any of the board games i'm interested in in local game shops

>no kemet
>no fealty
>no tannhauser

the only things i can find i somewhat like are carcassonne (but it's a 2015 edition with garish art) and cosmic encounter which sells with an expansion for 60 euros and i'm not too keen on that game, bit strapped for cash to spend it on something i moderately want.
>>
>>53183378
Small World is _nothing_ like an area control game. Area control implies using spatial reasoning to force the opponent into a lose-lose interaction. Chess is the classic area control game. (If you're looking for a simple, entry-level normie area control, then it's Ticket to Ride.)

Small World is nothing like that. There's no spatial reasoning and precious little interaction. Being good at Small World means estimating future income based on the number of game turns left and the availability of action spaces and workers. (It could be reskinned as a turnip farming game and lose nothing in the process. In fact, the turnip theme might make more sense than the wargame-light theme.)
>>
>>53184022
>the turnip theme might make more sense than the wargame-light theme
I'd probably give it a go too.
>>
>>53184022
>wargame-light

What is wargame-heavy? Tedious wh40k shit with ruler and dice?
>>
>>53183962
Online is where you want to do your shopping.
>>
>>53184081
No, that's Tabletop wargaming or Miniature wargaming.

Wargame-heavy is things like ASL or paths of Glory type shit.
>>
What's Power Grid like for like 3 players I mean I can't gauge what's the feeling of playing it at all.
>>
>>53184022
>TTR = area control.
You mean network building.

>Chess = area control
You mean Go. In chess tactical positioning is everything, but you gain literally nothing from controlling the space itself.

>SW =/= area control
Victory points earned per turn depend primarily on how many territories you control, if you have zero territories, you get zero points, so there is an area control element to SW.
>>
>>53166583

My main issue with it isn't whether or not that it's fair, but more that it suddenly turned the cooperative game into a 1 vs Many game when no one realized it was possible at the time.

Going forward, it also means that the already extremely long game now just has someone trying to constantly extend and delay the game as long as possible.

tl;dr it can make a 3 hour game into 6 hours because one person stops functionally stops playing due to certain Insanity cards.
>>
>>53135874
Doing nothing and letting ting the humans tear themselves apart is the optimal strategy as a cylon. If they make you then it's over
>>
>>53186339

Edit, since I'm dumb.

I love some of the insane cards, but suddenly changing the 3+ hour game's mechanics so that one person can win by being a huge asshole is real game-night-ruining.
>>
>>53182903
>>53183378
It's fine, actually a really good game for people starting out in the hobby. But most people burn out on it eventually. That doesn't mean it's bad though, just that it's a stepping stone to better things.
>>
>>53186339
>>53186409
That's why the players who aren't insane should distance themselves from the crazy player and go for the win regardless of what that person says or does. Insane players (with one exception) lose the game if the investigators win, so I don't see how they can drag anything out for as long as you are talking about because you should be treating them like a hazard. The way turn initiative works means they can never go first unless the team lets them and once you are aware of what the insane conditions are, you keep a watch for signs of what they are trying to do (get a knife, start a fire, kill themselves, etc)
>>
>>53187405
>Insane players (with one exception) lose the game if the investigators win
False, I think you mean "Suspicious" which has no affect and you win as normal, but there are several (such as Obsessive) which win with the party but only if certain conditions have been met (in this case there are no search tokens on the board when the investigation is complete).

>The way turn initiative works means they can never go first unless the team lets them
Also false. if the group is not unanimous in its decision the investigator who decides is chosen randomly, this COULD be the insane investigator.

>>53186339
Some of them do turn the game into a 1 vs Many, if your group isn't ok with that then maybe removing One of the Thousand is a good bet, I still wouldn't do so myself though. My group likes 1 vs Many scenarios, and I haven't had a bad experience with Insanities yet - though that being said we have also never had an insane investigator win (unless he won WITH the part - see "Suspicious" above). YMMV of course, but it definitely has added fun when trying to plan turns around insanities that the insane player probably doesn't even have.
>>
File: 1436919620554.jpg (356KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1436919620554.jpg
356KB, 683x1024px
>>
Redpill me on Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars.

Conceptually I'm super on board, but I'm a little wary of an exactly 4 players requirement.
>>
>>53188279
exactly 4 is super easy to arrange
I haven't been able to play Rex but once... sad days
>>
Is there a good place to read about some board game design concepts, namely how to eliminate dice and how does area control / tile laying is approached when creating a game? Stuff like that.

Another question - are there attempts to enforce 'copyright' on game mechanics? Like you make a Kemet clone and (((someone))) sues you?
>>
>>53189607
>are there attempts to enforce 'copyright' on game mechanics?
Yes, and it was shot down so you have precedent on your side.
Gamers are, however, unlikely to buy a game which is just an old game with new art if the old game is still in production.
So a Kemet clone won't go over well, but a CitOW or Sphulk Dargle clone...
>>
Gents, anyone care to share their experience with Splendor? I'm on the verge of buying it.
>>
>>53164265
It is.
>>
>>53189735
Pure distillation of engine building; there's no heavy depth, no hidden intricacy, it's just gather resources to build your economy and find the best path to the top row and the bonus cards. Components are good, but the poker chips aren't as good as they could be, and the box is so big it pisses off serious autists. The theme isn't pasted on, it's a post-it note peeling off every time you play. It gets played though, because it's so simple, because there's room to improve, because you can teach it to anyone and it helps them learn a core game mechanic of a lot of bigger games.

Gamenight! had some good discussion on it during the session review for Century the other day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqpo0kTN6Y0
>start at 1:04:10 for thoughts on Splendor
>>
In the middle of playing Dark Souls. Just one character.
***THIS IS A MISTAKE DON'T PLAY SOLO CHARACTERS***

Combat itself is simple, pretty straightforward, cut-throat, and unfortunately a little too reliant on dice. But it's serviceable if you aren't looking for too serious of a game. Miniatures are very nice, artwork is pretty great to okay, and the lay on the table is great.

My biggest gripe is the equipment deck. This 60 card deck of common equipment (plus 5 of your specific class) contains weapons, armor, magic, and upgrades. The problem with playing without a full compliment of characters is that it's distributed between what character class the weapon really works for. (There's actually a skew with more str/faith cards versus dex/int focused cards)

So playing as a single character, the 65 card deck has something like 26 cards that work well for that single character(a few extra due to some items truly being universal). At any time you have like a 40% chance of drawing something that's generally useful.

Doesn't seem too bad, right? Well let's look closer. Armor is EXTREMELY important in this game. There's 11 common armors in the game so with your unique one in the pool that's 12 out of 65 cards. So that's 18% chance to draw an armor, and then a 40% chance(again some are general) to draw one that's specifically useful to you. So around a 7% chance to draw an incredibly necessary tool to survive. And each draw costs one soul. There's no options for selling or redrawing, and everything (weapons, armor, magic, upgrades) is in the same fat stack.

A further problem is that leveling up your character is expensive, useless by itself, and practically NO character can use ANY item out of the equipment deck with their base stats. Not only do you have to buy until you find a good item, you also have to level up your character before you can even use it.

Despite my griping I have faith that the community will fix this game much like they fixed the PC ports.
>>
>>53190162
I felt the game overall was pretty fun also it really attracted people to actually give it a shot because of the ip. Last night my room mate, a friend of ours, and myself played through the first 2 minibosses (Gargoyles and Titanite demon) and while the Gargoyle was pretty ball busting we tore the demon a new one. While there is quite a bit of grinding i can't help but feel like that's by design because there's really no incentive to run straight for the boss since you get such a tiny amount of souls for killing him even with the spark modifier compared to just refreshing the rooms and killing the mooks. We went in as the Herald, Warrior, and Knight in case anyone was wondering. For the models they seem hit or miss some look great others like the warrior and the assassin are pretty bad imo, the shield pasted right on their bodies kills it for me, also some of the models have really bad mold lines at least in my game.
>>
>>53190086
Thank you anon.

To ask another question because it's omnipresent in stores but I rarely see it discussed, how do you (and others) rate Agricola in terms of complexity and fun?
>>
How good is Arkham Horror LCG? Im thinking of getting it to play with my girlfriend.
>>
>>53189648
Game mechanics are pretty impossible to copyright. Just changing one step or two is usually enough to claim distinct product.

Mind you, those wotc bitches did copyright the term tapping for rotating your card sideways, but i'm guessing no one feels like apending millions taking Hasbro to court to point out that ratardness.
>>
>>53190750
Shit, every LCG is shit. But you could try Bloody Inn.

How's Blood Rage? I can't get Kemet atm so I'm thinking about this.
>>
>>53190750
If you like any of fantasy flight's lovecraft stuff, you'll probably like it. I dig it because it's so easily played solo. I just don't like that it takes like 7 months for a full campaign to come out so you can play it start to finish.
>>
>>53187480
It's been a while since I played, I forgot about the "win as normal but..." ones. Does the insane player get a vote in turn order? We were playing where he didn't, maybe we misread the rules on that one.
>>
>>53190913
>How's Blood Rage
A drafting game with tacked-on worker placement where you never have enough resources to feel satisfied with your turn.
>>
>>53190774
Game mechanics ARE impossible to copyright, not just pretty impossible.
Intellectual property including words, art, and setting is able to be copyrighted.

That's why so many games still use turning stuff sideways but have to call it other things. WotC's copyright on 'tapping' is 100% legal and enforcable.
>>
>>53190960
How so? Full campaign?

>>53190913
Why do you think that?

Im asking because im from Brazil and now there are two sellers with AH LCG, and its a game thats hard to find around here.
>>
>>53190665
If we're going 1-5 scale? Splendor is a 1,3; Agricola would be 3,3 (for me)

If you're intrigued by Agricola, look up the entire family (Agricola, Le Havre, Caverna, A Feast for Odin) they all have the same basic ideas but differing levels of complexity.
>>
>>53190750
>girlfriend

Perfect couples game. I play regularly with my wife (who used to hate board games and couldn't stand LCGs especially) and at this point even asks to play it and builds decks with me.

We still play on easy because she doesn't always understand optimizing action economy but I'll take it
>>
>>53191035
>>53190960
Forgot to say i already have Eldritch Horror.
>>
>>53191068

There's room for both on an Ameritrash lover's shelf. AH LCG is much more narrative and personal in its approach, unlike EHs almost puzzle-solving of what's on the board.
>>
>>53191035
If it's hard to find in stock then you'll likely be stuck with the core campaigns for awhile, which will eventually bore you unless you start proxying stuff. Each campaign is a big investment too, easily more than double the price of a single core set. Skip if you don't think you can handle the commitment, otherwise it's pretty good.
>>
>>53191213
Any other recommendations then? Its a really hard game to find around here and its pricy, around $90 for the base game.
>>
>>53191267
Definitely not worth it considering the MSRP is $45, and you'll likely need two if you want to deckbuild in any way. Browse the thread for a bit for recommendations, particularly replies to this post >>53144478 for two player games. If you still want to get into the AHLCG, look for used copies instead of buying new.
>>
>>53191035
the core box contains a 3 scenarios that form one campaign. The next campaign is composed of a big box expansion that contains 2 scenarios and each monthly pack after that is another scenario until there are 8 full scenarios that makes up another full campaign. So it takes about 7 months for the big box expansion plus 6 monthly scenario packs to be fully released.
>>
>>53191340
>used copies
No one has those around here.
>>
Let me try to get some recommendations, im looking for a good 2p game with some cool theme, that was the reason i was looking for AHLCG. That bloody inn game looks good too.

We already play carcassonne together but for me its more of a quick one, i was looking for something more elaborate.
>>
Anyone with Neuroshima Hex have any suggestions for storing the pieces better? The box is mostly empty space and I feel like there a neater and more economic way to store all of the pieces besides tossing them into zip lock bags but I can't think of a way to do it.
>>
>>53191635
>i was looking for something more elaborate.
Mage Knight?
Space Hulk Death Angel?
Forbidden Stars?
>>
>>53191635

BattleCON, preferably Devastation of Indines

Completely non-random 2d fighting influenced card game that benefits from long term play, strategizing, and becoming proficient with one character at a time.
>>
>>53191635
>cool theme
>elaborate
>supports 2P
Cave Evil: Warcults
seconding BattleCON

Duel of Ages II
Dragon Rage
not sure on availability of these two however
>>
>>53191652
Since you have it, is it as shit quality as it looks (basically a painted cardboard that goes for a high price?)
>>
>>53191965
>Cave Evil: Warcults

Wow this looks great aesthetically
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfhdEk-drSk

Rewind to 18 minutes to hear one of the worst logical fallacies, the value proposition, uttered by a jerky twig of a man. I'm only pointing this out because it's a perfect example of how (((legacy))) shills work. Thank God that Seafall is such a bad game by all accounts, it might go a long way towards killing this movement outright.
>>
>>53192085
yeah, I keep name dropping it in here every now and then and I totally recommend it for anyone who's interested in hex-and-counter wargames, the system is great and I love how combat resolution works
>>
>>53192340
>hex-and-counter
What's that exactly? Just playing off each other's weaknesses?
>>
File: 20170511_222224 - Copy.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170511_222224 - Copy.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>1/2
So I still haven't gotten a chance to really test out the Nebula Nexus map, but it'd been taunting me too much sitting out on the pool table for the last couple weeks, and I was told
>ok either find a place to put that, or set up a couple ships and we'll do ONE lap

So I went with some simple ships, kept upgrades to a minimum, and we had 2 ships each. I went rebel scum, she got glorious empire
>Rookie Pilot w/BB-8, Integrated Astro
23pt so got the pole position, figured the free barrel roll might be useful in tighter spaces or to avoid the asteroid "Thwomps"
>Blue squad novice
Bare T-70 gave me better starting positions and the boost would allow for good movement on straightaways
>Saber Squadron Pilot w/PTL
Double reposition, try to get break away and hold the lead
>Zeta Ace w/Primed thrusters, Engine upgrade, Wired
Figured the longer roll option might let him snake through the mid sections, and wanted the option to not care about stress from bumping/red maneuvers

Took 8 or 9 rounds to get through a single lap, that opening corner was a series of bumps knocking pretty much everyone's shields off and killing the interceptor in the first round, T-70 got off to a big lead, but overshot the item boxes, TIE f/o caught 2 boxes in the first stretch, ended up saving his life with a star on the 2nd turn. Rookie stayed in 3rd, couldn't finish off the TIE til the 3rd turn, but was able to exploit that position to take the lead in the hairpin turns when everyone else died. Interceptor was well behind but was able to use a hard turn + boost to jump the nebula gap avoiding the bottle neck. More deaths on turn 6, everyone avoided the rock but either ionized off the edge or got smoked by the guy right behind them. All except the interceptor who was able to pull out a couple tight turns + boost and pull away. He got to the last item box with 1 hull left, drew a banana (conner net) dropped it directly on the T-70 who was about to catch up, and that was it.
>>
File: 20170511_233628 - Copy.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170511_233628 - Copy.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>53192423

>2/2
Final positions: the rookie was shot down previous turn and was waiting to come back to life during combat. TIE f/o is just on the edge of the track after trying to boost back into the match, he'd be ionized next turn, and missed his final shot on the T-70. That x-wing was able to stay in 1st/2nd the entire lap, but needed a few more lucky rolls because without blocking he can't keep up with the faster ships. Interceptor was able to clear from the final turn to the finish line on a single 5 forward and boost.

Lessons learned:
>PTL and 2 hard greens are massive on this track
>barrel rolls aren't nearly as useful as you'd think except to help clear a few logjams
>Everybody dies, at least twice, the Siamese twin knife fight I wanted is achieved easily
>next map needs to be wide open with looser turns so more ships have a chance, right now I'd say A-wing, TIE striker, Interceptors are going to dominate
>using a RNG and the imgur gallery of the item box card deck isn't good enough, I gotta get cards printed from The Game Crafter
>>
File: Rulebook size comparison.jpg (23KB, 280x373px) Image search: [Google]
Rulebook size comparison.jpg
23KB, 280x373px
>>53191967
>box
The box is pretty sturdy and fairly nice, it's fucking huge though

>rulebook
The pages feel fine and not too bad but for some reason they decided to make it fucking huge (which is why the box is so big). You can hold the rulebook and try to read it, but it's so much harder than it should be, you pretty much have to lay it down on something to read it. I don't know why they did it this way, reducing the size of the book by half (and in turn, doubling the number of pages) I think would have been so much more effective and easier to use. See pic for size comparison

>board
The board looks nice but just opening and closing it has me concerned that after some time the board will start to tear or come apart if handled too rough. This is entirely a hunch but I've never felt like I had to be delicate with a board before, I feel like a monopoly game board is sturdier than this one

>heath counters
These are actually pretty good quality. They should hold up well but the edges may scuff or bend a little if you are careless with them (of if they just bounce around in the box because they aren't secured at all)

>puzzle cards
These are ok. They're thin and fairly flimsy, if you were to shuffle them then I'm sure that they would bend and scuff up very quickly. These cards aren't meant to be shuffled up so that won't be a concern, but they are still fragile. And the box didn't come with a bag to store them so they will also be bouncing around the box, which I am sure would damage them quickly. Of course you can get another zip lock bag to hold them (I had a spare deck box lying around) but you shouldn't have to use outside resources to store a game. Maybe to store things better but I think that a game should come with something to store everything in some way.

(1/2)
>>
>>53191967
>>53192588
>reference sheets
These are a little flimsy and could also bend if you are careless. They're a little thicker than the puzzle cards and they feel good to hold. I don't think they will get damaged with use, that'll happen on if you actually try to damage them, so I'm ok with these

>tiles and tokens
The artwork is very nice on everything and they feel good and very sturdy in your hand, these are probably the most robust part of the entire box. They pretty much are just painted cardboard so I'm sure that the MSRP for the expansion factions is overpriced.

Hope this very quick analysis helps.

(2/2)
>>
>>53192603
thanks

i like how neuroshima looks overall but it has some sort of off-putting vibe for me, like someone is selling me a cardboard printout. which is what a boardgame is but still...

maybe if it had more armies in core box.
>>
>>53192275
I don't know where to begin in saying that he's full of shit
>>
>>53192275
>hardcore gamers don't ever play their games more than 10 times
Uh huh, that's why the 10x10 challenge is a thing? Or five and dime sorting on your plays at BGG? I'm glad he updated his talk, 45 minutes was too long but sweet chocolate Christ games "journalists" are fucking retarded.
>>
>>53192706
It's a great example of passive aggressiveness. Chastising doubleplusungood talk. But in an endearing manner...uh... yeah.
>>
>>53192392
They're usually games that use hexes for terrain and small chits or counters for units. Commonly used by war games.
>>
>>53192771
It's always either-or with those people. I blame the educational system especially colleges. Zero acceptance of anything but ingrained zeal.
>>
>>53192423
>>53192477
Looks really amazing anon, I think it turned out great. The track looks super tight to me but that's more of a personal thing. Can you explain a few things to me:

>TIE f/o caught 2 boxes in the first stretch
So did f/o get two items because of this? Or did it just remove one more box that someone else couldn't get?

> Interceptor was well behind but was able to use a hard turn + boost to jump the nebula gap
From this I'm guessing that a ship can pass through the nebula part and as long as they end up completely on the track they're fine, is this correct?

>ionized off the edge
So if they finish their move off the edge they get ionized?
>>
File: IMG_20170323_221528-1740x2320.jpg (633KB, 1740x2320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170323_221528-1740x2320.jpg
633KB, 1740x2320px
>>53192392
nah, hex-and-counter refers to games were you move tokens around on a hex grid, usually involves some sort of rules regarding stacking tokens in the same hex, zone of control, line of sight etc etc

pic is from the last time I played Warcults, very late in the game and ended up narrowly winning
>>
>>53192648
No problem, I totally get the feeling of wanting more bang for your buck with the game. Visually, the game is astounding, it looks great. But it does feel really empty inside, especially with how big the box is. If you take the approximate value of the expansions ($7 rounding up), $28 of the base game is to buy the four factions is comes with, leaving $6 for everything else (I bought it for $34 off Miniature Market)
>>
>>53192779
>Chastising doubleplusungood talk
What kind of talk?
>>
File: SNES_Koopa_Beach_1.png (31KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
SNES_Koopa_Beach_1.png
31KB, 1024x1024px
>>53192845
>boxes
Boxes regen every round and the new item would replace the old, but he actually caught like the first box, used it to shoot a green shell, and then next turn caught the last one in the line. Just got lucky positioning by not going as tight. The x-wings were banking back and forth to avoid going off track and so wove between most of them.

>ionizing/nebula
Yeah I wanted to make this simulate Rainbow Road, as opposed to hard walls like a go-kart track. So for this map I set the rules up as "if your base is more than 1/4 on the nebula at the end of the activation phase you ionize next turn (1/4 seemed like a single wheel skirting the edge, might change up/down it to adjust difficulty). This lets you still get a shot off, but makes simulates falling off and being repositioned on the track by the Lakitu. Boosting/barrel rolling over a corner would be like pulling off a really good jump, or feather over a shortcut segment.

Going off map, or being still in nebula after one ionize is straight explosion/death. you're set off to the side of the track, and come back where you were at the start of the next combat phase (again it's like when they reset you in the center). It kept things tight because you could still blow up the ship in front of you who didn't fall off during combat; but by skipping movement/action you're slowed up, just like in the vidya. Same rules apply if you're blown up by combat, skip movement/activation, reset to where you were, and still take part in next combat round.

Thinking my next map is Koopa Beach, make it the surface of Mon Cala (Dac) but it'll have to be reversed too; so that you're flying over the planet's watery surface and the center (where the deep water on the original is) would be like a mountain raised up out the surface, or one of the cities they built on top of the ocean maybe. Should allow for wider lanes, and an emphasis on combat survival over tight turning.
>>
Aby comments on Jabba's Realm expansion for Imperial Assault and its corresponding ally/villain packs? I own the base game plus a couple of ally packs and play both campaign and skirmish.
>>
>>53192899
Does is start to lose balance with 3 players? Too cramped?
>>
>>53186241
>You mean network building.
No. There's no such game mechanic as "network building".

>In chess tactical positioning is everything, but you gain literally nothing from controlling the space itself.
Really? I take it you've never played chess? Lol.

>Victory points earned per turn depend primarily on how many territories you control
You get points for controlling action spaces in Agricola too. Having a territory-point economy doesn't make something an area control game.
>>
>>53189607
You cannot copyright or trademark game mechanics.
You can copyright flavor, and trademark brands, neither covers mechanics.
Mechanics can be patented, but they have to be extremelly different from existing mechanics to be considered non-derivative and therefore patentable.

And you really can't eliminate dice unless you want:
a) Your game to be solved
b) Having to continuously update your game to avoid it becoming solved
>>
>>53193604
>And you really can't eliminate dice unless you want:
What about via a draw bag? A finite probability mechanic.
>>
>>53193604
>And you really can't eliminate dice unless you want:
>a) Your game to be solved
>b) Having to continuously update your game to avoid it becoming solved
This is absolute 100% bullshit. Two points:

a) There's nothing wrong with a game that can be solved in theory, because there's no practical way of encoding a solution without using three supercomputer clusters.
b) Having dice doesn't make your game any harder to solve. Computers and mathematicians are very good at dealing with probability theory. (Dealing with auctions -- not so much, which is why the easiest way to make a dumb game interesting is to add a drafting or negotiation mechanic.)
>>
>>53193739
I meant you can't remove sufficient randomization without making the game much easier to solve. Not that you need dice specifically.
>>
>>53193604
People forget that lack of randomization doesn't mean nothing changes from game to game. The interactions and competitions between the players is the variable.
>>
>>53190966
All investigators. Otherwise its literally impossible for the guy who has to start his turn on a space with only one other investigator to win.
>>
>>53192275
You ever feel like giving up on the hobby? This video made me throw up with highlighting everything wrong with games and gamers. I can't go to a shop anymore and play any classics or compete in a game of skill or anything. Everything is just people wanting to play the newest most flashiest hotness with no substance. Everyone looks at me recommending a game older than 5 years like I must be crazy. There's more people in the store now I suppose, but at the cost of every table being just filled with obnoxious assholes who need to scream at the excitement of their newest 15 minute filler game played to adnauseam.
>>
File: IMG_20170512_095105.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170512_095105.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hey lads. How's your day going? My fiancee got me 4 expansions of my favorite game today so it's going pretty good for me.
>>
>>53194422
>Printesa si dragonul
>>
>>53194412
You don't need to leave the hobby, the fairweathers will be long gone into the next fad by the end of the decade.
>>
>>53194412
Man, you can't give up on something you genuinely care about because a few people are ruining your good time. Find a hardcore group and show the newbies what a real gamer looks like otherwise, they've won and you've lost only they get to still have fun while you're just miserable. It's understandable but I wouldn't give up because a few randos don't know jack squat about gaming. All this BS will pass soon enough.
>>
Yay new bread WHEN!
>>
>>53194471
What is wrong with that?
>>
File: 1494177748992.jpg (85KB, 442x650px) Image search: [Google]
1494177748992.jpg
85KB, 442x650px
>mfw some fuckwit at the post office wasn't doing his job properly so my delivery got delayed until Monday.
I didn't want to play new games this weekend anyway.
>>
>>53193853
Randomization doesn't make it harder to solve. In fact, dice games were the first games to ever get solved by humanity. Dice are about as hard to solve as tic-tac-toe.
>>
>>53190750
Probably one of the best collectible card games ever made. Every scenario is essentially it's own well designed RPG module
>>
>>53194412
I don't feel like giving up the hobby but I find my local game group only ever wants to play whatever is new. It's quite annoying
>>
>>53195102
You just need to make some like-minded friends anon. It's hard, but they're out there like me.
>>
>>53192648
5 armies is fine, but box is way too big. Everything could easily fit into some sort of FFG "expancion pack", but fucking portal wants its money.
>>
>>53193274
Yes. Neuroshima is a duel game. 3+ players was a mistake and a commercial gimmick. The inly way it could work is 2v2 team match or 1v2 match. Maybe.
>>
New update on L5R LCG walking through conflicts: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/10/Banzai/

I think the game is starting to make some sense as a whole to me.
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.