[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did anyone teach you how to play? Or were you mostly self-taught?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1468017845403.png (163KB, 396x306px) Image search: [Google]
1468017845403.png
163KB, 396x306px
Did anyone teach you how to play?
Or were you mostly self-taught?
>>
Self-taught via BECMI tutorial and Super Endless Quest. No one else wanted to play. Had to relearn everything when the people who were playing had moved on to 1e/2e.
>>
Depends on the system and what exactly you're talking about.

I was introduced to roleplaying by someone else, but a lot of my personal playstyle are things I developed myself. I also had to teach myself some systems if I came across them without anyone else I knew playing them.
>>
>>53131475
I learned from the best, a couple of dudes who had been playing for a few years. We've become fast friends and loyal party members.
>>
My first DM taught the whole party in our first game.

Since I don't have a mental illness, I grasped the rules quickly and didn't need to be reminded the rules every two fucking seconds of combat.
>>
Watched videos to try and work out wtf tabletop roleplaying actually is. Was always aware of D&D but had no idea how it worked.

I watched a bald bloke who works for wizards do a 4th ed campaign, this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FeiNEsLElA
thought it looked really fun, googled, found out there was a local RPG club and started going.

Had a break for a few years, had to stop for work and got out of it, I wasn't bored of it though. Now I'm going back to the club and getting really into RPGs, love it desu.

The only thing I regret is not starting when I was young, and stopping before.
>>
My friends Dad started me on tabletop with DnD when i was pretty young, even though Im not a huge fan of DnD anymore i still look back on it with some fondness.
>>
An online friend is teaching me D&D through skype. I don't have anyone to play with irl and they offered to help. I was learning quick enough and did some apparantly cool stuff that they invited other people to join the game. What was meant to be a little tutorial session turned into a 4 player one-shot
>>
Entirely self-taught. Friend had the D&D board game. I figured I'd look up the game proper.
Ended up running 3.5 for a group of complete newbies. Except for said friend who may have had prior experience due to her mother playing DSA.
>>
Learned nothing but bad habits from my first 2 GMs, who I can retroactively identify as really bad at GMing.

Aside from that I picked up on how to do it right by doing it wrong and fucking up.
>>
Learned from my father, the one useful thing he ever taught me. Technically learned on a heavily house ruled variant of as&ad 2nd but moved to 3/3.5 as it came out. Been playing ever since.
>>
Self-taught, but that's hardly a feat considering all the manuals available for it.
>>
File: trying to play outside of roll20.png (185KB, 425x1275px) Image search: [Google]
trying to play outside of roll20.png
185KB, 425x1275px
>>53131475
Self-taught, because I don't have friends and didn't have any friends for the last 10 years.
All my groups tend to break apart after the third session and I feel like people don't like my characters or me.
Nowadays I keep trying on the faint hope of maybe finding one good game eventually.
>>
I'm the resident "rules lawyer". I learn from the books and teach the others.
>>
>>53131475
You taught me, /tg/.
And I never have a game. I wonder why.
>>
>>53131475
I never actually learned how to roleplay, and I'm worried it will be beyond my mental capacity forever.
>>
>>53131475
Watch and learn mostly.
>>
>>53131475
>what is-
>READ THE BOOK
self-taught, yeps
>>
>>53131475
Rules wise, I am self taught.
Attitude wise, I needed some tutoring.

It didn't help that the first three years I was exclusively the GM of all games I was involved in, so once I got to play, I wanted to hog the spotlight and kept referring to my character in the third person.
>>
>>53131475
>got invited by friends to play dnd for the first time
>with nothing but miniatures, dungeon tiles and a d20
>i had to be the dm for the session

i had to learn how to /tg/ while simultanously creating one system after the other, then teach others how to play.
it was fun in the beginning, horrible during the middle, and now we have worked up to understanding what makes a good system, while rarely having the time to do anything with it
>>
>>53137138
Same for me, I clicked on /tg/ one day because I wanted to know what the hell a "traditional game" is supposed to be and after spending time here because I started to like you fucks I decided I might aswell try it myself using whatever I learned from lurking.

/tg/ honestly isn't that bad of a teacher, with some exceptions like a way too high focus on "magical realms" (something that is way rarer than the threads make it out to be) it is a pretty reasonable place.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.