[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I become a good Master

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: dados-rpg.jpg (15KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
dados-rpg.jpg
15KB, 400x250px
I started on RPG Mastering buy everyone say I'm not a good master, so I need tips and I think this is going to be useful for everyone. So, help me please
>>
>>53127399
Practice helps. Like any new, complex skill, you can't expect to be very good at it at first. Can you tell us any specific issues you're having / they say you're having?
>>
File: 1471135062783.jpg (757KB, 960x2158px) Image search: [Google]
1471135062783.jpg
757KB, 960x2158px
1. Most GM advice boils down to truisms and common sense. Don't be mean, remember the golden rule, communicate with everyone as clearly as you can, practice makes perfect, etc.

2. Some of the best advice you'll get is right in the rulebooks. You might not take the author's advice to heart immediately, but make sure to reread them on occasion, because you might find answers in them that you initially overlooked.

3. Your players know how well you GM best. Make sure they feel comfortable in giving you advice and criticizing you. Ask them what you can do to improve and what they want to see in your games. Pay attention to their likes and dislikes.

4. Make sure to read/watch whatever you can in relation to the genre of the game you are running. Constantly be mining material for ideas and inspiration. Listen to music, and try to imagine scenes in your game inspired by that music.

5. You might find it useful to record your sessions and to watch/listen to them to get a new perspective of your games. It might be painful at first, but it's an easy way to see for yourself what you might need to improve.
>>
>>53127399
>everyone say I'm not a good master
How many times have you run a game?
>>
>>53127399
>everyone say I'm not a good master
What exactly do they say?
>>
Part of the problem with telling somebody how to be a good GM is that it's sort of like telling them how to improve their guitar playing... without knowing anything about their guitar playing. I can give you platitudes, but their applicability to your specific case may be limited. It's the old "haste makes waste" vs. "a stitch in time saves nine" problem. Both bits of gnomic wisdom can be helpful, but they encourage behavior that's pretty much directly contradictory.
>>
>>53127399
>How do I become a good Master
Well, a safe word is useful.
>>
>>53127399
Which system?
>>
>>53127399
Here's the one rule.

Give players what they ask for, but not what they wanted. It keeps them moving forward, but prevents them from resting easy.
>>
Try going to Improv Comedy classes. A lot of the skills you learn there, combined with an understanding of storytelling and system understanding will make you an excellent GM.
>>
>>53129038
kek
>>
>>53129039
i fail to see the relevance?
>>
>>53133875
Different systems lend themselves to different styles of play and require different GMing techniques to work well.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.