[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Efficiency Rules

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0110.jpg (201KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0110.jpg
201KB, 576x768px
Hey guys,

Some high level strategy and information in this article. What do you guys think?

http://xwinglist.com/2017/05/06/efficiency-rules-by-daniel-templin/
>>
>>53127298
I think that pure competitive play is a mistake.I would much rather go to a tournament where everybody plays then ranks their opponents based on how fun they were to play against. The point of games is fun. The point of tournaments is to win. As such, games which are focused on the tournament scene are destined to break.
>>
>>53127340
I think that does a pretty good job of illustrating casual vs. competitive. This post does seem more geared toward the competitive scene obviously.
>>
>>53127681
My point is that competitive play in general is a mistake. The goal should be to win, but you'll eventually end up with a perversion of the original game. Just look at chess. Moves are not evaluated at face value, or even several moves ahead: true masters just memorize nodal boards which relate to the greatest number of successful endgame boards and make move to reach those.
>>
>>53127809
While I agree on a large enough sample size that chess may function like that, I don't think that TMG has been subjected that same sample size to draw that conclusion. It hasn't been played enough, studied enough, mastered enough, etc. for that analog to be completely true. Part of the fun playing competitively is that a lot of strategy isn't entirely developed yet and there may be completely new, undiscovered strategies (metas, if you will) still left to be found.
>>
>>53128045

I think his point is that once you reach the point where you're poring over the game to maximize everything and minmaxing, it's time to stop and relax. Should you try to win? Sure, but that doesn't mean turning into a minmaxing faggot and forgetting fun for the sake of finding gamebreaking shit to win.
>>
>>53128112
Now that I can agree with - most definitely. The meta shouldn't be gamebreaking shit and if it is discovered to be such, the community should have a system to "patch"
>>
>>53128145
Or they should just not abuse it.

I only play Xwing with my friends and we have some rules you just dont break. No R2D2, none of that one scum ship, etc. Everybody keeps to those semi-spoken rules because it just wouldnt be fun otherwise.
>>
>>53128382
I agree completely. But there are people that do whatever it takes to win in the competitive scene. Unfortunately that sometimes equates to exploits. The game is still young - we shall see.
>>
>>53127340
What if you find playing competitively fun? I certainly enjoy the tension.
>>
>>53128992
Then you should agree with me even more. When people break the game there is no tension. I find the most tense games I play are ones where both sides use novel but sub-optimal strategies.
>>
>>53128145
>The meta shouldn't be gamebreaking shit and if it is discovered to be such, the community should have a system to "patch"

Avalon Hill's "Midway" hex & chit war game had a similar metagame hack initially. It was quickly fixed because nearly all of the tournament players were adults instead of sperglords.

The minis war game DBM still suffers from a loop hole sperglords use to exploit to field "all cavalry" armies.

The problem arise when people stick to the letter of the rules while ignoring the spirit of the rules. Something which is, of course, a very autistic thing to do.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.