[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any games that allow (or hopefully encourage) "class

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1465325954501.jpg (2MB, 2000x1126px) Image search: [Google]
1465325954501.jpg
2MB, 2000x1126px
Are there any games that allow (or hopefully encourage) "class changing"?
It doesn't have to be a class-based system either, just a system that lets you take (themed) packages of abilities and switch them for a different loadout?
I was thinking that a game that allowed players to do that would encourage planning, information gathering, and party communication. It might also slow down a players' character fatigue, and let them explore different facets of a character by letting them walk a mile in different shoes.
>>
>>53115452
>would encourage planning, information gathering, and party communication.

It would do the exact opposite of that. And it quickly fucks up party communication.
>>
>>53115682
I don't know about that.
But you haven't seen any games that have it?
I sure would hate to have to homebrew such a big project.
>>
>>53115452
It does not fit very well (understatement) with "encourage planning, information gathering and party communication", but Monsterhearts enables class (or whatever this is called) changes.
Not very familiar with this other Apocalypse world - hack, but in Masks, there is frequent possibilities to change your stats (and therefore, your role in the party?)
>>
>>53116132
>Monsterhearts
Never heard of it. What's it like?
>>
>>53116491
It is a "hack" of the Apocalypse World system: a narrative and rules-lite system originally built to play games in a post-apocalyptic setting.

Monster Hearts uses most of the same mechanics, but PC are highschool students who happen to (secretly) be werewolves, vampires, witches, etc.
Expect a lot of cheesy teenage drama, mixed with violence, magic.
You only have 4 stats (Hot, Cold, Dark and Volatile) and they go from -1 to +3. Depending on your character type (vampire, werewolf, etc), you have some additional abilities/drawbacks.
During a test, you roll 2d6+Stat.
On 10+, it is a great success
On 7-9, it is a success but it will come with a price/consequence
6- is a fail and allows the DM to act against you.

This game encourages improvisation, shared narration.

You may not like this setting though, but perhaps another apocalypse world hack will better fulfill your demands? There are a lot of them, and I am sure some of them enable class changes.
http://apocalypse-world.com/pbta/
>>
>>53116697
So the 'class' change in MonsterHearts is this season advance to change your Skin?
(just looking at the reference sheet fast to get an idea)
>When You Call People On Their Shit
gave me an unexpected laugh
>>
>>53117038
Yes, besides, you can spend your xp points to buy feats from other Skins
>>
>>53115452
The strange is a cypher system game about hopping through different dimensions, and your focus (which is about half of your 'class') is different in each dimension.
>>
>>53117534
I've been reading it, it's pretty fucking cool.
>>
One-time, page 10 bump, I'll let it die when it falls again
Looking for systems involving class-change, rapid reallocation, or something like that
or play experience involving this idea or the games mentioned thus far
or just thoughts on the subject
>>
>>53115452
Isn't what you are describing the whole schtick with casters in D&D 3.X?
>>
I haven't played too much of it, but I'm pretty sure the Malifaux RPG "Through the Breach" encourages players to change their Pursuits regularly, especially since there's a finite limit to advancement in each one and you can keep most of the talents you obtained when switching to another one.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.