[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magical Girls & Mahou Shoujo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 365
Thread images: 86

What are /tg/ thoughts of this genre?
>>
>>53114129
Pretty boring actually.

First off, the genre's origins basically established a lot of common tropes that have become incredibly bland.

Then the latest generation is based on defying those tropes by making it all pretty and pink, but Grimdark. These in turn have established Trope-defying Tropes that have also become bland.

Also everything is lesbians. Everything.

So, in Essence, no matter what spin you put on it will feel bland and cliche, and there's a 90% chance it goes full on Magical Realm.
>>
>>53114129

Who's the girl with the tie?
>>
File: 1461325809132.png (195KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
1461325809132.png
195KB, 1000x700px
>>53114191
>First off, the genre's origins basically established a lot of common tropes that have become incredibly bland.

Cute girls and magic being bland? How?
Even the minor tropes (familiars, transformation, special items) are all pretty interesting.

>Then the latest generation is based on defying those tropes by making it all pretty and pink, but Grimdark.

There's more to recent Mahou Shoujo than just Madoka. Even Flip-Flappers took an interesting spin by going for a drama route quite distinct from being simply grimdark.

MS has a lot of versatility, and I personally think that it's ability to combine so well with other genres is quite respectable. I'm actually curious to find out how well Mahou Shoujo+Classic RPG Adventuring might turn out.

>Magical Knight Rayearth

Without mechs this time?
>>
>>53114129

It's fun

Girl on her way to becoming a Woman and trying to figure out the world and her place in it

Love and Friendship can save the day

Often handsome man and beautiful woman
>>
>>53114297
Amu from Shugo Chara.
>>
>>53114191
t. someone who has only watched Madoka.

You are so ignorant it hurts.

>>53114385
>I'm actually curious to find out how well Mahou Shoujo+Classic RPG Adventuring might turn out.
How would you go about it?
>>
File: Radical Revy.jpg (193KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Radical Revy.jpg
193KB, 1920x1080px
>>53114385
Magic is best supplemented with guns.

I miss Decu.
>>
File: 1374302032774.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1374302032774.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
>>53114191
>Then the latest generation is based on defying those tropes by making it all pretty and pink, but Grimdark
You don't know shit, my man.
>>
File: NanohaBefriending.jpg (426KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NanohaBefriending.jpg
426KB, 1920x1080px
>>53114191
t. Contrarian.
>>
>>53114191

There has "Always" been dark stuff in Magic Girl media

Sailor Moon is filled with people dying and going insane

It just Usagi is Hax and can fix it
>>
>>53114129
Watching the genre evolve from its magical "shrine maiden" beginnings is something people should be forced to see in order to avoid making the assumption the moeshit we have today is representative of the genre.
>>
File: o i am laffin.png (698KB, 350x510px) Image search: [Google]
o i am laffin.png
698KB, 350x510px
>>53114927
>moeshit
>>
File: IMG_1541.jpg (535KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1541.jpg
535KB, 1280x720px
>>53114129
Does this count as magical girl?
>>
>>53114866
Exactly. I'm the most incorrect person in this thread, so all posts are going to be targeted at me instead of screaming at OP for being a Weeb.
>>
>>53114967
Seeing post such as these >>53114927
>>53114191 make me sad because it reminds me of how many normalfags have invaded /tg/ lately.

>>53115015
>Using weeb like if it were some sort of insult
Sad.
>>
>>53115015

Anon everyone in this thread has watched or read magic girl stuff

None of us are going to complain about someone being a Weeb
>>
>>53114992
It counts as shit. Had great ideas but horrible clichéd execution, and almost all the characters sucked. But the actual premise and conflicts were quite interesting and the Hundreds chick (can't remember her name, the MTF) was really cool.

Anyway... it's more like toku than magical girl. Close enough to count as inspiration though.

I'd definitely like to play/run a 'fixed' Gatchaman Crowds.
>>
>>53115015
>>53115073
Well, in that case I'm the idiot, the jester that everyone laughs at to lighten the mood.

Also Flip Flappers was a goddamn treasure. Would've liked to see an episode or two that mimicked the ending credits song. Loved that Grimm's fairy tale aesthetic.
>>
>>53115260
Oh and it has Iwasaki music which is dope. I loved the art style and music.
>>
File: 1414038034017.jpg (125KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1414038034017.jpg
125KB, 1280x720px
Uh, I'm actually looking to get into magical girls. I'm into Kamen Rider and it looks like a fun relative of the genre, and I have some prospective players who like magical girls, so it might be fun to run a magical girl campaign for them. Any recommendations?

I have Flip Flappers and Madoka on my list. I know some Precure is good but I don't know which are best for inspiration.

Thanks!
>>
File: 1489478168447.jpg (84KB, 513x700px) Image search: [Google]
1489478168447.jpg
84KB, 513x700px
>>53115339
Precure is tricky, and opinions are heavily divided on which seasons are good and which ones are not. You should be familiar with how this works considering you watch Rider. Which Riders do you like or what do you like in Rider? Serious? Comedic? Something else? I could tell you which Precure seasons are the most like them.

Card Captor Sakura and Nanoha are obligatory, as is Sailor Moon.

I'd personally recommend Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku that while most people decry as a dark and edgy mahou shoujo with no substance and a Madoka rip-off, the series heavily improves after the first arc, which was the one adapted into the anime, the rest are just light novels so I'm not sure if that would be to your taste. Furthermore, every arc deals with a diferent story, for example the first arc is a survival battle royale, the second is a murder mystery, the third is something like 24, a capture mission that spans in that timeframe, the fourth is full on horror and politics and the 5/6 are more politics and pretty much an all out civil war. Very varied powers and a very colorful cast as well.
>>
File: Baaaaaw.gif (242KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
Baaaaaw.gif
242KB, 500x360px
>>53114191
What do you consider the genre's origins?

The sex-and-social-commentary-heavy Majokko Megu-chan?

The shounen fanservice Cutey Honey?

Himitsu no Akko-chan?

Sally the Witch?

Bewitched?

Or are you one of those idiots that thinks that Sailor Moon popped out of nowhere and came up with everything?
>>
File: iron man sailor moon.png (575KB, 379x749px) Image search: [Google]
iron man sailor moon.png
575KB, 379x749px
It's good, but I'd like to see more Mahou Ossan
>>
>>53115476
Ah yeah I definitely understand. Here are my favorite seasons:

W, Fourze, Gaim, Drive, Ex-Aid

I also liked Power Rangers RPM for the odd but perfect mix of post apocalypic drama and comedy with fun characters and knowing genre winks.

I definitely like a good mix of light-hearted fun alongside the drama; but going entirely in one direction or the other isn't bad either.

Your recommendation sounds cool, I'll definitely look into it.

I remember liking Card Captor as a kid, and I can't believe I forgot Nanoha.
>>
>>53115623
Speaking of, man, I've been really wanting to run a Kamen Rider campaign too. I think a 'Rider war' story like Gaim or Ex-Aid would be really well-suited to a campaign I think.
>>
File: 1489357414891.png (32KB, 529x527px) Image search: [Google]
1489357414891.png
32KB, 529x527px
>>53115623
For something light-hearted and SoL-ish I'd recommend Maho. For comedy I'd recommend Smile. For something all-round I'd recommend GoPri and HC. If you want /u/ then watch Suite or Doki. If you want romance then watch Yes! 5+GoGo.

>I definitely like a good mix of light-hearted fun alongside the drama; but going entirely in one direction or the other isn't bad either.
If so then go with HC. It doesn't lean too heavily to either side.

>Your recommendation sounds cool, I'll definitely look into it.
Fair warning, if you ever decide to bother the novels read them from here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mgrp/comments/5z9st6/translation/

As for why, there was a total fiasco where the guy who was supposedly translating the novels originally was discovered to be a fraud whose "translations" were inaccurate, had minstranslations all over, sentences and details completely omitted and last but not least the "translator" had the gall to actually make-up events and details that were not in the original novel and insert them on his "translation". The place I linked is the place where two dudes are re-translating everything are using to keep track of their work.

Have fun anon.
>>
I dig it
Not sure if I would ever put it in a campaign though.
Not even sure how I would.
>>53114992
Dropped potential: the anime.
>>53115339
Heartcatch Precure is a great entry point for Tokufags.
That is what got me into the genre.
>>
File: rance4.1_03.jpg (99KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
rance4.1_03.jpg
99KB, 640x400px
>>53115792
Magical girls seem like the kind of thing that would be hard to integrate in a campaign not focused on them.
>>
>>53114129
shit
>>
File: nanohafriend.jpg (82KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
nanohafriend.jpg
82KB, 600x620px
>>53114191
Jesus it is so obvious that the only Mahou Shoujo you ever touched is Meduca Meguca and Sailor moon.

Why is it that /tg/ works like a red cape on a bull when it comes to people who dont know shit what about what they are talking about but still feel the need to share their opinions about it?

Do you even friendship?
>>
>>53115481
Sailor Moon
>>
File: tumblr_mr88wiWMCm1rw6vtxo8_1280.jpg (725KB, 1086x1500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mr88wiWMCm1rw6vtxo8_1280.jpg
725KB, 1086x1500px
>>53115481
Not him, but either Cutey Honey or Himitsu no Akko-chan. It's hard to say, especially since Princess Knight existed almost a decade before any of those popped up.
That said, I don't particularly disagree with the guy.

If you want to examine the term "mahou shoujo", examine it in the vein you would examine the term "cyberpunk".

"Mahou" refers to flashy magic with obvious graphical effects, copious amount of bling, explosions, flashing imagery etc. Basically, the WoW variety of magic - "if it's special, then it glows". This basically defines the undercurrent of almost every mahou shoujo anime and/or manga, like the transformation sequences, the "magic is flashy, so we have to try our best to conceal it and divide our lives into the public and secret parts!" conflict etc.

"Shoujo" refers to the main characters, and therefore, main values of the characters, main conflicts they find important. "Shoujo" is explicitly about young girls, who are naive, inexperienced, who care about what others think about them, who socialize and generally act, like, well, normal girls of their age.

The problem I see is that the "shoujo" part of the "mahou shoujo" basically drastically limits the amount of interesting topics and makes the whole affair (like the main conflicts and such) rather shallow from the viewpoint of an adult.
Adult people don't believe in abstract concepts of "justice" and "right" - they believe in very real justice and very real right that they have experienced on their own skins. Adults are not infantile. They don't throw a tantrum and don't go into a breakdown mode when something happens that clashes with their worldview, which is a very, very popular topic in mahou shoujo - you know, the whole dark mahou shoujo bullshit and all.

Anyway, I can ramble incessantly about this literally forever, and it's getting pretty late, so if you want us to discuss this topic - be my guest and indicate your interest in any way.
>>
>>53114716
bullets is the most cost effective spell
>>
>>53115974
Shoujo doesn't mean the message of the story has to reflect the beliefs of the main character, no? You can tell stories about growing up and becoming an adult - with adult worldviews and beliefs.
>>
File: Lina leads the way.jpg (1MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Lina leads the way.jpg
1MB, 1200x1200px
>>53115974
By that grounds, then most shounen have very strong limits, too, since the characters they deal with are young boys with different viewpoints. (Which would be a valid opinion - I'm just wondering if that's what you're implying.)

I can fully agree that the standard adult protagonist has a different view of love, hope, righteousness, and many defining factors that drive magical girl anime. But that's not a limit at all. In fact, having a protagonist with room to expand and develop their worldview is bounds for some really interesting twists and turns, and some conflicts with people who don't fit into it. If anything, that gives more room to explore interesting topics. And that whole growth thing happens all the time, especially in the 60s/70s mahou shojou tales.

And if you want, you can say it started with Princess Knight. Can't believe I forgot that.
>>
>>53116040
That's true, but it still limits the characters worldview.

The characters of the mahou shoujo stories are inherently childish. Whether they grow up or not depends on the direction of the story, but it still limits the topics you can bring up - you can't start a story as if the characters were already adult in their worldviews, because that isn't mahou shoujo.
And the "growing up" story, to be honest, deserves of a separate lengthy post to discuss it. I mean, if we're talking anime, Tatami Galaxy is basically a story about someone growing up, and it's fucking brilliant - I can talk about it at lengths about how it nailed all the right parts.

>>53116123
I think of it as limiting, because you have to first go through the "growing up" phase of the story, as if this was some sort of bullshit Naruto training arc. That doesn't mean it makes mahou shoujo inherently bad - it just makes it rather limited in its approach to storytelling.
>>
File: 1490068627586.jpg (210KB, 463x600px) Image search: [Google]
1490068627586.jpg
210KB, 463x600px
I'd rather do a magical-girl type character in a supers game or something (where the character is literally a fan of the genre and tries to embody it with their powers, to various comedic, dramatic, or tragic results depending on the game's tone)
>>
>>53116198
Ahhhh I see what you mean. Definitely understandable then, dude. You definitely have to appreciate its niche then, yeah. And there is still variety in what kind of childish worldview they hold, how developed they begin, etc. Not all young women believe the same things or have the same morals and so on.

E.g. while Kamen Rider isn't about young kids, it still is made for them, and the protagonists often hold naive beliefs. But they still are very different, confront different problems and grow in different ways, you know? They end up with unique senses of justice and what is right.

I'd elaborate more but I'm on my phone. Hopefully you're around later cuz I'd like to continue this in more detail. Great points you bring up.
>>
File: Nyamo_9.jpg (68KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Nyamo_9.jpg
68KB, 640x480px
>>53116198
Growing up can be done in more ways than a training arc. Like you said, it can be done well. But the way I see it, if you don't have growth in a character by the end, they what you have is a very static character - one who hasn't changed since the beginning, or learned any lessons.

Being static isn't a bad thing. But it's a thing tons of characters through fiction go through, and it's no less fresh either time. Being a child or an adult doesn't change the fact that the main character can be a different person by the end of the story. To say otherwise is to be overestimating the average maturity level of adults in anime.

>There will never be a mahou shoujo anime about jaded Christmas Cakes with their own definition of justice
>>
>>53114129
I feel just slightly bitter. I had been playing a jaded, shellshocked magical girl as early as back in 2005 in City of Heroes and imagined a whole 'dark magical girl' thing for her.

And then Madoka got published first.
>>
>>53116380
I wish Madoka had never existed just so that you faggots whining about Madoka and muh dark mahou shoujo that Madoka invented and crap like that would disappear forever.
>>
>>53116329
>>There will never be a mahou shoujo anime about jaded Christmas Cakes with their own definition of justice

Feels bad man.
>>
File: 1492349822379.jpg (198KB, 1200x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1492349822379.jpg
198KB, 1200x1500px
>>53116329
>>53116446
My fellow enlightened cake-lovers.
>>
File: 1473534479587.jpg (691KB, 1200x960px) Image search: [Google]
1473534479587.jpg
691KB, 1200x960px
Madoka's cute
>>
File: homu_boobwindow.jpg (52KB, 695x1086px) Image search: [Google]
homu_boobwindow.jpg
52KB, 695x1086px
>>53116496
I wonder who's behind this post.
>>
Have any of you guys tried the Tokyo Heroes system?
>>
File: 1372458681955.jpg (41KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1372458681955.jpg
41KB, 625x626px
>>53114191
>Also everything is lesbians. Everything.
Pic related but I feel like I have to bite. Put yourself in the girl's shoes for a minute.

You're probably an early teenager, maybe high school age at best. Your body is changing, your mind is occupied by all manner of weird things, and a few nights a week you traipse all across town to kill monsters only you can see that will eat your friends if you ever lose focus. All the while you have to keep the entire affair secret because no one would believe you.
And then you meet another girl. She knows what you have to deal with, what you hide from everyone, what sacrifices you make to keep the people you love safe. She may be the only other person who can know these things, and she probably uses you to keep a hold on her humanity just as much as you use her. Is it a surprise to ANYONE that the two of you become deeply emotionally invested with each other?

You know why former soldiers tend to stick with their battle buddies long after the war's over? They're the only other people who know the hell you endured. It's the same principle here.
>>
File: 1341868949001.jpg (404KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1341868949001.jpg
404KB, 768x1024px
>>53116513
homu pls
>>
>>53116467

Meanwhile Usagi is laughing her ass off

I mean she'd stop eventually and help because thats the kind of person she is but she'd still laugh at first

Which makes me wonder how other magic girls would react to Sailor Moon
>>
I disagree that mahou shoujo should be limited to little, and teenage girls. The genre has overgrown it's own initial name and expanded further. Furthermore, being an "adult" does not mean a person still does not have potential for "growth" or "development". Stories can be about much other different things as well, even if they originally were about that theme in specific, the themes on which magical girls can be used have also broadened through the years. You could even say the magical girl has become a character archetype instead of uniquely being a genre.
>>
>>53114191
>Revolutionary Girl Utena
>Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
>Arjuna
>Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
>Kill La Kill
>>
>>53116653
Of all those only Nanoha is a legit magical girl series.

Magical Girl does not mean any female character which has supernatural powers of any sort.
>>
>>53116557
It's still about immature people, though. The immaturity of the characters and belief in abstract ideals is a staple of mahou shoujo genre, just the same as it is a staple of shounen genre.

There are two different kinds of personality growth I personally see - the "upwards" growth and the "sideways" growth.
Mahou shoujo almost exclusively deals with the "upwards" growth (if you want an example of what I consider "sideways" growth, think something along the lines of Space Brothers).
>>
>>53116720
> (if you want an example of what I consider "sideways" growth, think something along the lines of Space Brothers).
I've not watched that. Could you explain what you mean with this?
>>
>>53116557
Having the magical girls be magical women instead would definitely make it less creepy if you insist on keeping all the fanservice and sex shit in it.
>>
>>53116692
I'd argue for Kill la Kill, the main differences being the focus on a solo main character (mostly) and alien powered pseudo-magic science instead of simply magic.
>>
>>53116733
It's hard to put into words, honestly.
Basically, the "sideways" doesn't change the character's worldview drastically - it doesn't change his ideals. Instead, it exposes the character to different experiences, different cultures and different people, allowing him to grow as a human, but still not making him any more mature than he already is.

Also, I strongly recommend watching Space Brothers if you didn't already, because it's one of the better anime of the decade.
>>
File: 1421661571750.jpg (743KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1421661571750.jpg
743KB, 1600x1200px
>>53116741
>He doesn't sexualize his magical girls no matter the age
Get a load of this guy.
>>
>>53116692
I define Magical Girl as follows:
>female protagonists
>protagonists transform to do battle
>“monster”-of-the-week rhythm (generally)
>focus on growth and interpersonal relationships outside of battle
>optional: cute fluffy companion
The only anime on my list that doesn't quite fulfill all four criteria is Earth Maiden Arjuna. Nanoha, Utena, and P&SwG even have the obligatory fluffy companion.
>>
>>53116791
All in all, Magical Girl is a very wide and all-encompassing genre. Trying to limit it to an arbitrary definition nowadays is nothing but foolishness.
>>
>>53116813
>Magical Girl is a very wide and all-encompassing genre
I disagree strongly. In my opinion, merely (ab)using the mahou shoujo conventions doesn't qualify you for being called a mahou shoujo story.
>>
>>53116791
If I add:
>recurring rival who features and develops prominently enough to be a protagonist him/herself
it still holds, except for Arjuna (whose inclusion might really have been a stretch).
>>
File: ChrisHansenSig.png (33KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
ChrisHansenSig.png
33KB, 256x256px
>>53116786
Get a load of this seat.
>>
>>53116904
>Get a load
I thinks she already does.
>>
File: KfucOsR.png (783KB, 802x523px) Image search: [Google]
KfucOsR.png
783KB, 802x523px
>>53116791
>calling PSG mahou shoujo
Really, nigga?

Utena is also not mahou shoujo (even though technically it is), it's just Ikuharashit (for the lack of better definition), just like Penguindrum is - the underlying topics definitely have little with classic mahou shoujo.
It's like calling Evangelion mecha - you are technically right, but also missing the point entirely.
>>
Speaking of mecha and magical girls, how is Rayearth?
>>
>>53116929
P&SwG has two teenage girl protagonists who transform to fight monsters with magic every week, who have a “cute” companion fluffball, and Panty has a bit of a character development arc at the end.
Sounds like a Mahou Shoujo to me! Nobody said the magical girls had to be pure.

Utena is definitely MS, albeit a very mature take on the genre (in terms of characters, aesthetics, etc.).

>>53117009
I only read the manga, but the manga was good.
>>
>>53117009
I found it to be unbelievably boring. I forced myself to keep at it because of the mecha and it was not worth it at all.
>>
>>53117039
>Sounds like a Mahou Shoujo to me!
Next thing you tell me The Powerpuff Girls is mahou shoujo now that I think of it, it probably is. Okay, okay, you got me.

Utena is definitely not mahou shoujo, though, no matter how you slice it.
>>
>>53116270
Is... that a magical trap?
What is that from? Google can't return source, and I'm genuinely curious that magical trap is a genre.
>>
>>53117107
>I'm genuinely curious that magical trap is a genre
Are you not aware of the last decade in anime or something?
There was that Twintail Narimasu anime, there was the magical boys anime about a year ago, there was Korean Zombie Desk Car etc.
>>
>>53117131
Somehow all this passed me by. I know of twintails but that's not exactly magical trap.
Is there such a thing? And I'm still waiting on sauce for whatever that thing was.
>>
>>53117101
Isn't there a PPG anime even?
>>
>>53117147
It's pretty clearly an OC
>>
>>53117162
Kind of proves my point then. Magical trap as a genre seems criminally underexploited, but I'm impressed by the level of work that's been put into that image. I'd be down with it.
>>
>>53117039
>Nobody said the magical girls had to be pure.
I'm pretty sure that's the last thing he was thinking about when telling you that P&S was not mahou shoujo.

>>53117107
>>53117147
Pretty sure that's just someone's OC donut steel. Best I could find was this. More like traps they are just magical boys, effeminate fruity faggy boys though.

https://warosu.org/tg/thread/38978376#p38978447
Go nuts. Enjoy your fap.

>>53117131
>>53117147
>There was that Twintail Narimasu anime
That's gender-bending.

>there was Korean Zombie Desk Car etc.
That's crossdressing, not a trap.

Get your terms right.
>>
File: 1490068028572.jpg (230KB, 463x600px) Image search: [Google]
1490068028572.jpg
230KB, 463x600px
>>53117174
I picked them up from a character art thread, no idea of their origin beyond that
>>
>/tg/ has better discussions about anime than /a/
Somehow, I'm not even surprised.

>>53117174
>Magical trap as a genre seems criminally underexploited
Picrelated.
>>
File: 1490068741803.jpg (447KB, 970x1130px) Image search: [Google]
1490068741803.jpg
447KB, 970x1130px
>>53117194
>>
>>53117196
>>53117194
>>53117174
>>53117147
>>53117107
Fuck off homos, we only like cute girls here
>>
>>53117101
>Utena is definitely not mahou shoujo, though, no matter how you slice it.
A girl is granted magical transformation powers to fight almost every episode. Most interactions are between her and another literally magical girl (and their cute pet), with some lesbian undertones. They both grow together and learn to deal with difficult emotions and personal dilemmas throughout the series.
There are other girls (rivals initially) who can likewise transform and fight, and who too go through their own character development arcs where they deal with love, loss, and other issues.
Also all the boys are handsome and make girl hearts go doki doki.
M A H O US H O U J O
>>
File: 1494195078201.jpg (25KB, 469x224px) Image search: [Google]
1494195078201.jpg
25KB, 469x224px
>>53117204
Can it, faglord. We're having a thread.
>>
File: needless.png (374KB, 699x492px) Image search: [Google]
needless.png
374KB, 699x492px
>>53117229
this
>>
File: 1443153633550.png (373KB, 646x716px) Image search: [Google]
1443153633550.png
373KB, 646x716px
>>53117216
>Also all the boys are handsome and make girl hearts go doki doki.
Terrible.

Magical Girls should only love their fellow Magical Girls.
>>
>>53117240
They do that too!

They get even more intimate in the film!
>>
File: Powerpuff_Girls_Z.jpg (75KB, 474x470px) Image search: [Google]
Powerpuff_Girls_Z.jpg
75KB, 474x470px
>>53117149
yeah PPGZ, and its magical (science) girls where three girls can transform into Hyper Blossom, Rolling Bubbles, and Powered Buttercup. its worth a look for funsies.
>>
>>53117240
Are you serious? Utena is like one of the most famous examples of lesbianism in anime... or at least it was when I got into anime.
>>
>>53116039
>posting S2's worst girl
shiggy

I can't really think of any worst girl from S1
>>
>>53117196
>/tg/ has better discussions about anime than /a/

Fuck yeah we do! /tg/ has a penchant for doing the jobs of threads with shitty communities. Usually through a lense of rpg mechanics and tropes that often lends itself to new views and discussions.
>>
What's a good Magical Girl System?

Don't say Magical Burst or Accidental Magical Girl.
>>
>>53118435
Mutants and Masterminds
FATE
Strike!
>>
>>53118455
Huh, no Savage Worlds? You might not be Strikefag.
>>
>>53118435
Might as well try Kamigakari. That system can do just about anything.
>>
>>53118435
Big Eyes Small Mouth? Isn't that one that's suggested?
>>
File: korewazombiedesuka.jpg (34KB, 640x250px) Image search: [Google]
korewazombiedesuka.jpg
34KB, 640x250px
>>
>>53118475
That system certainly looks super fun at a glance. How would you do magical girl in it?
>>
>>53118435
i was thinking monster hearts might be an idea, just replace monsters with magical girls and brew some stuff. has dealing with dual lives and darkest self can be despair mode if we are going full meduka meguca.
>>
>>53118551
If you're doing PBTA, then Masks is way better suited to it.
>>
>>53118435
I know D&D isn't popular, but when 5e was brand new folks were talking about how the warlock lent itself to being a very viable magical girl class, especially with the chain pact familiar.
>>
>>53116521
I will jump in on this simply because I want to point out that 99% of the time none of that is considered when adding yuri themes. Your justification is very reasonable and spot on if the genre genuinely wanted to explore the circumstances the girls find themselves in. But it doesn't. Yuri themes are added because weebs eat it up. Full stop. They like watching cute girls in sexual tense and romantic situations with other cute girls, both for that and because they don't have to deal with the "rival" male interest trope. Waifu culture has had a major impact on what becomes popular for the genre more so than any other genre in anime.
>>
>>53119363
As someone who loves 5e for D&D, even though warlock is uncannily usable for magical girl shenanigans (special mascot familiar, summoning a magic weapon, transformation sequence for magic armor/wardrobe change, weapon strikes powered with Charisma, etc) those really only apply to dropping magical girl-esque themes onto a D&D character. The system itself isn't particularly conductive to magical girl games.
>>
>>53114129

They work best as love interests, because most guys don't really get the concept. /tg/ in particular is really bad at this, because it always becomes LESBIANS and MANLY PUNCHES.

I can't help but think that the recent de-emphasis on guys in magical girl shows is sort of a stunting of the genre into abnormal sexuality. Earlier shows like Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and Sailor Moon primarily featured male love interests, because that's what normal girls are supposed to focus on. A focus on yuri-esque themes is a kind of otaku pandering, to avoid sexually 'threatening' relationships.
>>
>>53119444
>>53119521
>Oh no why does anime panders to the people who like anime!
What's next? Complaining that the meat industry panders people who like meat? Fucks sake.
>>
>>53119547

Relationships are more fun when they're unsafe and dramatic. Novelty is the spice of life.
>>
>>53119571
Mahou Shoujo is always a dramafest be it the girls wanting a dick or a vagoo. This is a very silly complaint.

And what does unsafe even mean?
>>
>>53119571

No they're not. The last time a QM did that, 'dramatic relationships' meant everyone ended up dead, broken or miserable.
>>
>>53119596

It means something that isn't fetishic. A girl-girl relationship is always so, because lipstick lesbians.
>>
File: Magical_Girl.png (677KB, 1580x6324px) Image search: [Google]
Magical_Girl.png
677KB, 1580x6324px
>>53114129
It actually is one of my favorite genres, because while it can have a cute aesthetic, it can deal with some interesting narratives and character development.

I do wish I could play a proper Mahou Shoujo game.

I also remember finding this by chance, don't know where, but anyone who plays 5th edition D&D and likes the genre might see it as something interesting to try out.

And if you already do, fucking invite me
>>
>>53119618
So what's your point? That anything that could be considered fetishistic is shit? You might as well never ever consume any kind of media again in your life then.
>>
File: 1490108037166.jpg (177KB, 488x750px) Image search: [Google]
1490108037166.jpg
177KB, 488x750px
The deal with most magical lesbian romances is that they face the trials and tribulations of combat together and bond, right? So what if you toss in some magical boys to the team?
Even Sailor Moon did it, kind of. And it's a thing in Miraculous Ladybug.
>>
>>53119681
>So what if you toss in some magical boys to the team?
They now can have relationships with boys. Amazing, isn't it? Such a revolutionary concept, you just discovered that BOYS and GIRLS can have romantic relationships with one another. You'll make millions if you sell your ideas anon. Guaranteed. A true innovator we just got here.
>>
>OP doesn't know Mahotsukai Sally

>you know realize magical girls have been going around for sixty years

>>53115974

>>Adults are not infantile. They don't throw a tantrum and don't go into a breakdown mode when something happens that clashes with their worldview,

Just make them fall into depression like IRL.

>>53116929

PSG is actually the only honest-to-god deconstruction/satyre (not parody) of mahou shojo going around. Meguca is just darkier and edgier (and not episodic).

>>53117009

Interesting. Mecha combat isn't really there, it's more of fantasy drama in a sense.
Second part of the manga was kinda boring.

>>53118435

Is MB that bad? Which version?

(played with varying results, honestly don't know if I like it or not)

>>53118551

Jesus, no. MH is a game heavily dependent on "my character does this while the other does that". Doesn't have a team (or at least not by default, which is what "dark" MS have, only for it to fall). Doesn't have the whole fighting thing, magic isn't really for that. The darkest self is repeatable.
MH is perhaps my favorite PBTA game but can't see it.

>>53119444

If anything the genre wouldn't be revitalized by the likes of Tuxedo Mask as male coprotagonists. But not 'cause lesbian sells, because (mostly) older MS with the token cool guy love interest make him unintersting as fuck. In a sense, as odd as it may sounds, older "really for little girls only" anime had the love interest(s) as idealized, boring uncharacters... exactly like in an harem the main guy is just a cardboard.
Pretty natural to have the girls (actual characters, if not exactly on Tolstoj level much of the time) to be more interesting for older audiences.
Case in point: Sayaka in Madoka. Her guy was just there to support her tragedy. Or, on the contrary, see MS Ikusei Keikaku.

>my solution would be some kind of "parallel series" of the guy(s), shown as pretty normal dude(s) trying to get what the fuck is going on there
>>
>>53119754
This, holy fuck. That's why I dislike guys in my magical girl shows. They are always just kinda there and are blander than cardboard and have absolutely no role besides being the love interest just because with no rhyme or reason and whenever the girls sees them they become a useless retarded mess who can't do anything for herself despite saving the world 5 minutes ago. And that's without mentioning how they impossible to integrate into the magical girl aspect because they are normal humans most of the time, and even when they somehow have magical powers of their own they are always useless as fuck too. And last but not least for some reason this dude is also always at least a good 5 years or more older than the girl so that's puts them even further apart besides on top of not being able to be together as there's the distinct boundary of the human/magical world there's also the teenager/adult one.

At least with yurishit you can have both the girls do gay shit together as civilians and as magical girls. Makes the relationship actually feel like it means something. That they are sharing a life together.
>>
>>53115792
That breast grab
>>
>>53119836

As Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne says, magical powers or not, men are stronger than women. Women get magical powers to compensate.
>>
>>53119547
I'm not crying "oh no" just pointing out why yuri is as prominent as it is in opposition to the other anon's reasoning.
>>
>>53114129
Shit, but /tg/ loves eating shit.
>>
File: 1479305746235.jpg (110KB, 357x512px) Image search: [Google]
1479305746235.jpg
110KB, 357x512px
>>53119942
Does that mean that Magical Girls (male) are the strongest of them all?
>>
>>53119967

I don't know, but my penis says yes.
>>
File: AngryFate.jpg (29KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
AngryFate.jpg
29KB, 704x396px
>>53116380
>jaded, shellshocked magical girl
>dark magical girl
>Madoka
>>
File: 1c6c584fc499cbeeabe74431dde3a774.png (508KB, 1000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
1c6c584fc499cbeeabe74431dde3a774.png
508KB, 1000x1250px
>>53119942
>>53119967
No, it just means that idiots like /pol/baiting and SJWfalse flagging on nu/tg/.

Kind of like how the Japanese did a better Gem Universe than Steven Universe by makign them all agendered rather than transgendered.
>>
File: 1433029931663.jpg (204KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1433029931663.jpg
204KB, 1440x810px
>>53119942
That sounds sour grapes as fuck.

I would gladly give away my penis if "to compensate" and totally be "weaker" than guys I get a superhuman body with magical unnatural powers that let me manipulate reality in manners impossible by any measure of logic. Wouldn't even mind the becoming a cute grill part either considering I'd be 100 times more physically attractive that I currently time because who has ever heard of an unattractive magical girl?
>>
>>53119571
Know what's an unsafe and dramatic relationship? A lesbian one. Specially in a society like Japan's.
>>
>>53119836

I had an idea for a netori-themed genre deconstruction. A guy (kendo team captain, or some other atheletic alpha-male type) is dating a girl who turns out to be a magical girl.

Unfortunately, she's crippled while battling monsters. Deliciously so, which means her legs don't work, but she's still pretty. As magical girls need to meet a certain quota to live (Like PMM or Raising) she grants the guy her powers, making him a magical knight, so he can make up her quota.

Unfortunately, other magical girls start getting interested in him. Since, you know, he's was already pretty badass before he was magically empowered. Increasingly, it becomes more and more tempting to kick the cripple to the curb.

Except all the power comes from her, and she can revoke her boon at any time. Drama, and much lying, ensures.
>>
>>53120059
You are not kidding at all. Most lesbians I know in Japan are terrified of being outed, and with good reason.
>>
>>53120072
>Netori
Stopped reading here. You are a terrible person.
>>
>>53120085
If Japan hates lesbians so much why do they also like yuri? Check and mate atheists.
>>
>>53120072
I don't like this as netori but it sounds kinda interesting until then.
>>
>>53120072

Holy shit, I would rage so much.
>>
>>53119948
It would be very wrong to say it's a 'recent development' as you do in
Even Sailor Moon had "cousins"
>>
>>53120101
We all like superheroes but nobody wants to be the host of a superbattle.
>>
>>53120072

Why would you even write this
>>
>>53120191
He's clearly self-inserting as the guy there. Kinda sad desu.
>>
>>53114129
Homaru did nothing wrong.
>>
>>53120072
>which means her legs don't work
This person hasn't watched YuYuYu. Pity this poor soul, then spit in his general direction for his idea most foul.

Seriously dude. You're seriously fucked up.
>>
>>53120222

This is actually based on a shoujo manga, and stuff like Diabolik Lovers. I was trying to think of the most 'deconstructive' idea out there.
>>
>>53120072
>not being loyal to your wife
Smiting the sinners will be fun.
>>
>>53120270
>And stuff like Diabolik Lovers
You aren't helping your case here. Learn what the term means first. You aren't subverting shit with your idea.
>>
>>53120241

Togo was the hottest of the group.
>>
>>53120314
This is a free country, you have the right to hold an objectively wrong opinion.
>>
>>53120314
>not Itsuki
Eh, to each his own.
>>
>>53120334

No, that's not what I meant. She accomplished re-entry. She is objectively the hottest, i.e. has the highest temperature.
>>
File: 415354354.jpg (91KB, 585x454px) Image search: [Google]
415354354.jpg
91KB, 585x454px
>>53120391
I admit defeat.
>>
My group tends to do magical girl games pretty often. Which, uh, probably isn't too surprising given we kinda formed around that subject. We don't do it exclusively, but we do tend to do such stuff often enough. Usually with me in the GM seat. It's like I'm not good at anything else at times, but I've made my peace with it.

I did an old Nanoha-like campaign once before (I'll never get to play in one, sadly). More recently, we did a Madoka-inspired game about magical girls being kind of horrible, wishes with unexpected consequences, and everyone keeping secrets. Miscommunication made a lot of fun there, and all the PCs were kind of fucked up, come to think of it. Both of those games were M&M.

I've also used the Princess: the Hopeful fansplat, only to completely waste all the potential provided with the World of Darkness system library and setting by proceeding to run a game that was as formulaic and Precure as humanly possible. Because it was something magical girl we hadn't done, and we were coming off the Madoka dark stuff. The villains were kinda goofy, the PCs were also kinda goofy, things tended to go nice and happy. Probably based mostly on Smile Precure for overall theme, as that was one of the seasons I'd watched for research. I am a terrible person.

Currently working on doing a remake of my earlier Nanoha game, only for a different group, and with the players of the first campaign as advisors and co-GMs. This means a nice increase in pure evil. Also probably better planning and knowledge of what worked and what didn't, so it should be an interesting experience.
>>
>>53120306

No, no. Rage and hatred make for committed viewers. 90% of the target audience is too pathetic into someone who, shock gasp, actually has options when it comes to women.

As for everyone else, it'd make a great furor. You just need one furious article by an ANN feminist denouncing 'patriachal behavior', and it'll sell better than Madoka.

It's pure misery porn.
>>
>>53120419
>pic
Know what the meguca genre needs? Civil War-like stuff. Something like, say, Nanoha and Fate ending up on opposing sides of a conflict that eventually has them fighting against each other.
>>
>>53120453

What the actual fuck is wrong with you.
>>
>>53120072

So how do you see it going down?
>>
>>53120604

Badly, I imagine. With at least one scene where the love interest says "I'd rather be dead than rely on you."

Lots of crying and shots of handphones with missed calls.
>>
>>53120487
That's exactly what the doujin the pic is based on is. It may or may not also be somewhere I'll end up going with my Nanoha-like game reboot, as my other major inspiration is Knight Run, which seems to like its politics and infighting.

The Nanoha Betrayers doujin, translated, for those interested: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/mahou-shoujo-lyrical-nanoha-mahou-shoujo-lyrical-nanoha-betrayers-doujinshi-r8598

It's some nice fun, though also a little hard to follow. Still, probably does beat some of the official stuff in some ways.
>>
>>53118435
>AMGC
Have you tried the other system spawned from that hell hole?
>>
>>53120683
>Still, probably does beat some of the official stuff in some ways.
Well, I mean, I guess I can't argue with this when Force exists.
>>
>>53115974
>Adults are not infantile. They don't throw a tantrum and don't go into a breakdown mode when something
Where have you been living recently?
>>
>>53120072

I kinda like it. Netorare bullshit is stupid, I don't get the hate tough - it's like foot fetishisms, pretty harmless to me.

>>53120059

Yeah, but MS are too idealized for that. I mean, I dunno, nowdays the Cute Girls doing Cute Things angle is so stressed that I can't see it working.
The "but girls can't love girls" meme was an inside joke for good reasons. Can you really see Madokas' classmates do that? Can you see someone diss on the walking elemental of cuteness that was Snow White?

MS nowdays are all about smaller scale conflicts (often internal, but anyway not really larger than the squad and its antagonists), and even when they're about societal issues it's about two lovers, perhaps a family, but they stop at that: not even a classroom. A whole society shunning them would be difficult to pull out for three reasons:
1) conflict is magical girl vs the self or magical girl vs magical girl, or the villain (not even really group vs group, even).
2) society is too "bright". In MB the society is described as too perfect, soulless and natureless, and that is a fucking good observation for Madoka and generally its generation of MS anime. That's kinda bad for society as an EXPLICIT and active antagonist.
2.5) Often the city, the classmates, the fucking parents are not only as in 2) but cute as hell. It sounds silly, but think about that: if society was the antagonist, having it cute and... having everything irrealistically cute be bad would be difficult.
3) In general we fans love the yuri, or at the very least don't demonize the idea. Let's say we want tragic lesbian love tough.That would mean having a pretty fucked up society or part of that. See 2.5 now: these kawaii classmates are evil?

>it's interesting how on the contrary this happened in older animes, actually. SM even in its silliness had some examples.

Ikuhara KINDA did it in Yurikuma (the Invisible Storm could only mean one thing) but you know how he rolls, realism isn't exactly his forte.
>>
File: 1494171795446.gif (228KB, 247x248px) Image search: [Google]
1494171795446.gif
228KB, 247x248px
>Can never find a group to play MG stuff
>Everyone else somehow always already have a group or find one in 5 minutes
It's not fair!
>>
>>53120830
It's almost like it is idealized escapism or fiction or something like that. Crazy, I know.

I'll never understand how /tg/ of all fucking boards is so obsessed with "realism".
>>
>>53120830
I'd say adding yuri drama on top of the normal meguca drama might just overload a series a bit too much.
>>
>>53114385
>Mahou Shoujo+Classic RPG Adventuring
You wouldn't happen to frequent that AMGCYOA thread, would you?
>>
File: 1492134867112.jpg (1MB, 3200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1492134867112.jpg
1MB, 3200x1800px
>>53121059
Yuri drama never works.

The reason people like yuri is because there's enough for people to think of it happening but it's never truly shown which leaves things up to people's imagination to fill in the void with their fantasy. Go as gay as possible, to the point it is impossible to deny that they are super duper homos who'd make a rainbow blush, but never truly say "Yes". For example, even after these years, even after they adopted a child together, we've not ever gotten a true 100% "Yes, we are fucking lesbos" from Nanoha and Fate.

Imagination > Reality. And the other thing is that yuri drama takes away from the idealization of the relationship and puts it a bit too close to the 3D realm. That's a big no-no because even both are gay yuri-gay and IRL-gay work under different rules and have a different kind of appeal that does not mix at all.
>>
>>53121152
>there's enough for people to think of it happening but it's never truly shown which leaves things up to people's imagination to fill in the void with their fantasy
That is only true in works where the yuri is not the focus.
Yuri romantic dramas exist, but you can't add it to a standard meguca series without one diluting the other.
>>
>>53121281
>Yuri romantic dramas exist
And they are SHIT.

>That is only true in works where the yuri is not the focus.
>but you can't add it to a standard meguca series without one diluting the other.
I agree. That's just the cherry on top of the cake or the side-dish. The main dish and cake should still be the magical girl conflict and story.
>>
>>53114129
I've only explored a little of this genre (Nanoha, Symphogear, Madoka, Raising project) and have been thoroughly disappointed every time with each show. Most likely I don't care much for the aesthetics of a more traditional one (Precure/Sailor Moon), don't feel compelled to watch the higher rated ones (CCS/Princess Tutu), and I have separate issues with the ones I have watched.

As for an rpg, I'd think it works well. Traditional team structure+MotW, generally urban fantasy but with differing takes, flexible tone. I just can't find much love for it myself.
>>
>>53120994
About once a week the fags for AMG CYOA put up a thread. If you poke around their community, you'll have no shortage of people to play magical girl games with.
>>
>>53121443
>AMG
But those guys are circlejerking jerks who are always involved in some sort of community drama.
>>
>>53121459
There's 2 communities irc and discord and 2 systems.
>>
>>53121459
The drama is just some shitposting drummed up by the same people trying to get CYOAs banned from /tg/. The actual version of the drama they're referencing closed up a little more than a year ago.
>>
>>53120656

Like White Album 2?
>>
>>53119444
First, nice trips.

Second, you present a reasonable counter argument for which I have no reasonable rebuke. You're probably right, any more shows do it for the ratings.

But where I was going with it, I think, was more towards the TTRPG angle, of the first guy I responded to saying that magical girl stuff could only go "full magical realm" by providing a coherent rationale for why two or more girls would feel a need to cling together.
Now if the party wants to go full /u/boat magical realm and the DM is cool with it, fine. This is 4chan, we're all sick people here. But it's possible to avert it.
>>
>>53121811
What kind of players consider lesbianism in magical girl stuff as going "full magical realm"? Have these people only watched the thankfully rare but unfortunately still existing magical girl series featuring heterosexual relationships?
>>
>>53121852
/tg/ considers everything magical realm.
>>
>>53121905
magic = natural forces not understood
real life natural forces = not understood
real life = magical realm
>>
>>53121905
Holding hands?
>>
File: 1399149301197.jpg (195KB, 597x587px) Image search: [Google]
1399149301197.jpg
195KB, 597x587px
>>53121961
Absolutely degenerate.
>>
File: 1494217927063.png (226KB, 331x418px) Image search: [Google]
1494217927063.png
226KB, 331x418px
>>53121961
Never post again, degenerate.
>>
>>53118336
Isn't that Darker than Black? The final season where everyone loses their powers and the "special" people like her all die? The final season i mean S3, as far as i'm concerned
>>
>>53122371
Yeah it's the fucking terrible season. I got like 2 episodes in and gave up. Ugh. Such a disappointing follow-up to something I loved so much.
>>
File: 1493854766790.png (89KB, 480x756px) Image search: [Google]
1493854766790.png
89KB, 480x756px
>>53119998
What series are you talking about?
>>
File: magical_girl_genre.pdf (108KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
magical_girl_genre.pdf
108KB, 1x1px
>>
>>53114129
I'm currently GMing a game called Tactical Magical Girl action.

It takes inspiration from X-Com, Metal Gear, Madoka, and Magical Girl Noir Quest.

I don't hate the genre or love it. Though I do love some of the stories and games that have come from it or been inspired by it.
>>
File: Madoka Titus CCdgi.jpg (148KB, 800x457px) Image search: [Google]
Madoka Titus CCdgi.jpg
148KB, 800x457px
>>53120994
>or find one in 5 minutes

it took 4 months of prep from me and my players for the game in
>>53124490
to be put together. You are severely underestimating the amount of effort and time that goes into a game.
(though it took us extra long because I had to get schooled in a system I'd never used before, its still a lot of time and work from a group of dedicated people to make a game happen.)
>>
>>53114716
Trust me you are the only one who misses him and his cohorts.
>>
>>53118435
Depends what you want.

If you want light-hearted superhero-ish magical girls, who punch monsters and have fun, with lots of customisation options for powers, use Mutants and Masterminds. All editions are good, but 3rd is best in my opinion.

If you want something that puts the emotional aspect at the forefront, something that simulates the ''Mahou Shoujo adventures as a metaphor for coming-of-age and your relationships being forged and tested'' type of show, use Cortex Plus Drama, the Cortex system variant which the Smallville RPG was built on.

If you want to run an at-least semi-tactical magical combat game, or a game that invoke the somewhat darker ''fighting monsters is a horrible job that children shouldn't have to do'' animes, I can recommend Princess - The Hopeful, a fan made New World of Darkness/Chronicles of Darkness game, which I'm currently running. It's... really good, if you're prepared to deal with White Wolf editing, but it doesn't really lend itself to light-hearted games at all, so if you don't want the heavy feelings, use a different system instead of adapting this, the job will be Too Big.
>>
>>53118435

Currently using Mutants and Masterminds.

Dunno if it's GOOD but it's been workable so far.

Reapers is another option.
>>
File: 1364235518563.jpg (570KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1364235518563.jpg
570KB, 2000x2000px
>>53114716
>I miss Decu.
me to.
>>
>>53124709
What's Reapers? Never heard of it.
>>
>>53114716
>>53124546
>Trust me you are the only one who misses him and his cohorts.

meant to say "you are NOT the only one who misses him and his cohorts". Sorry.
>>
File: 1491622053152.jpg (218KB, 725x3181px) Image search: [Google]
1491622053152.jpg
218KB, 725x3181px
>>53114129
Honestly, on a Macro-scale it's no different than any other Hero's Journey; this may seem like a vague answer, but its not intentionally so.

Perhaps its just me, but I don't think Mahou Shoujo is REALLY a genre, or, at least, that which is normally defined as Mahou Shoujo 'genre' . . . isn't. Allow me to explain.

'Magic', besides the umbrella term 'Fantasy', isn't a genre in it of itself. 'Girls', likewise, is just an explanation of the most frequent users of said magic; however, a story in which every magic caster is a 10 year old, evil cackling hag isn't really 'Mahou Shoujo', unless some asshole is trying to be contrarion.

If we only look at the surface conventions of Mahou Shoujo to define it, we're left with a bunch of literally colorful female children using magic; hence Madoka and shows of that ilk being ill-defined as Mahou Shoujo, which I think is in error, at least in part.

Originally, Mahou Shoujo was a celebration of the emotional and so called 'feminine' aspects of humanity (not just neccessarily females, but all emotional and so called 'feminine' traits), and the heroes themselves being literally empowered by such concepts. If anything is to be called a genre, it would have to be this stage, as it strips away the physicality or even the hero's intelligence as a strength until ultimately the reason the hero wins or loses is down to the strength of their love for others and the quality of their convictions; ie, traits that ultimately make the hero 'human', rather than 'super'. It is the weakness, our ability to feel for others even at the risk of being hurt, that such a hero is Mahou Shoujo.

Tl;dr: Lolis with guns, even magic ones, ain't Mahou Shoujo.
>>
>>53115066
>not liking moeshit makes you a normie
>>
>>53118435
Crisis Heroine.

https://crisisheroine.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page
>>
>>53115260
>the Hundreds chick (can't remember her name, the MTF)
Retard
>>
>>53117196
>>53118394
The fact that you think this is quality discussion when half of you can't even follow the plot of the shows you're talking about is sad as hell
>>
>>53121152
Source on pic?
>>
>>53117196
That shows aptly demonstrates the problem with fights in the Magical Girl genre:
Everything leading up to the finishing attack is kind of pointless.
>>
>>53125364
>Fights in the swashbuckling genre
>Everything before the killing blow is pointless

My guy, everything before the finishing attack is about corralling/weakening/stunning the enemy so the finishing attack can go ahead.
>>
>>53116123
>Nadia of the Blue Water
>Magical Girl
WHAT?
>>
>>53117196
>>
>>53114129
It's for children.
>>
>>53124750
He still posts at /qst/ when he is about to end MGN quest... you when it ends... sometime...
>>
>>53125426
Not as portrayed in most shows in this particular genre.
>>
>>53125504
STAR DRIIIIIVAAAAA. God that show was great.
>>
>>53120005

Oh, Twilight-sama. If only you knew the number of times I've jerked off to you and Eas.

> https://e-hentai.org/g/859301/7c1fc61bd0/
>>
>>53125989

Why are magical girl villainesses so hot?
>>
>>53120072

You should run this as a Quest.
>>
File: yuri problems.jpg (76KB, 447x726px) Image search: [Google]
yuri problems.jpg
76KB, 447x726px
>all these fags what don't understand the yuri in magical girls

It's just a young japanese girl thing, anons. It's to reinforce that they're immature.
>>
>>53125171
Better than /a/
>>
>>53126067
>Quest
Kys scum. This board is for ACTUAL traditional gamers
>>
>>53126150
Japanese isolationism was a mistake.
>>
>>53129229
Not really and the fact that you think that shows you've never been to any board but /tg/ and maybe /b/ for any worthwhile period of time
>>
>>53129433
The fact that this thread hasn't descended into "YURIFAGS GET OUT REEEEEE" or "[girl] is my waifu" proves that it is indeed better than you'd get in /a/
>>
>>53125107
What the fuck is this gross magical realm bullshit?

Nobody actually plays this toxic landfill of a "game" do they?

This is why we need to nuke Japan again.
>>
>>53129433
A frontal lobotomy is better than /a/ - pedophile containment

t. rampant crossboarder
>>
>>53129469
The fact that it's just self-congratulatory dick sucking combined with no actual anime discussion aside from botching about Japan and making broad generalizations about a genre that you don't even watch proves that even the shittiest /a/ thread is better at discussing anime than /tg/.
>>
>>53129503
And /a/ - pedo containment is better than /tg/ - furfag and 40Kid containment, particularly when it comes to anime discussion. Your point?
>>
File: Tumblrshit.png (59KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
Tumblrshit.png
59KB, 500x332px
>>53129486
>gross
>toxic

How about you nuke your greasy face instead, Tumlrshite?
>>
>>53129503
>>53129539
And yet /a/ is the best when I want some obscure manga or VN/WN.

You both sound like redditcancer tho DESU famalam. If you killed yourselves not even your own mothers would miss you.
>>
How do I balance the lasoring megucas that fly vs the punchy megucas that don't?
>>
>>53117196
>/tg/ talks about gayshit when /a/ wont
>that means its better guys
I see SJWs have a firm grasp over /tg/. Very soon you will be as cucked as /co/.
>>
>>53129579
>transcripted recordings from an orc camp.png
>>
>>53129690
>Zugh-zugh!
>>
>>53129661
More like "/tg/ actually discusses stuff instead of simply spouting opinions and telling to people to kill themselves when their opinions clashes with yours".

At least /tg/ consistently presents an argument, no matter how weak it is at times. /a/ simply reverts to insults, shitposting and ad hominem at first opportunity.

t. someone who spent 2008-2014 on /a/ almost exclusively.
>>
>>53129579
>hurr durr rape is a hilarious way to spend an evening!
It's a good thing you'll never breed, the human race is better off without you.
>>
File: 1493075164049.png (641KB, 636x616px) Image search: [Google]
1493075164049.png
641KB, 636x616px
>>53130196
>/tg/ actually discusses stuff
/tg/ can barely discuss TTRPGs, much less other hobbies
>>
>>53129620
Pssh, /tg/ has a way better grasp of obscure things than /a/ - FOTM moeshit general.

And we actually know how to talk instead of just spouting memes.
>>
File: disappointed gentlemen.jpg (572KB, 1800x1322px) Image search: [Google]
disappointed gentlemen.jpg
572KB, 1800x1322px
>>53130196
>>53130336
>Trying to genuinely argue with someone who's shitposting
It always disappoints me that /tg/ just can't not take the bait
>>
>>53130350
ignoring bait is a lost art for all boards
>>
File: 108.png (872KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
108.png
872KB, 1280x720px
>old washed up magical girl cake who fills the void in her heart with copious amounts of hard liquor and a desire to see her charges avoid the fate she did
Is this a good idea?
>>
>>53130626
Probably?
I've seen variations of the idea suggested several times before, so if nothing else you aren't the only person to find it appealing.
What would the cakes character arc be?
>>
>>53130698
The old magical girl would be the old washed up mentor for the younger girls. So either she learns to like the young girls in spite of her loneliness, regains some of the idealism she once had from extensive contact with the young girls, or it could be a metaphor for parent-child relationships while growing up -- learning that she can't control what her younger charges will be, and accepting that the best she can do is give them the skills and knowledge to do better.
>>
File: Yes - Kirk + McCoy.gif (467KB, 276x208px) Image search: [Google]
Yes - Kirk + McCoy.gif
467KB, 276x208px
>>53130756
Excellent chance for oneeloli too.
>>
>>53130756
That sounds like it could work quiet well. You could probably find lots of fun ways to play with genre conventions.
Might be fun if she's just as fixated on the series not!tuexdo mask as her charges but struggling to appear professional and hide it.
>>
>>53130350
>someone who's just shitposting
You mean like yourself?
>>
>>53130626
Oh wow, babby's first "retired magical gril" ebin subversion! What's next, "groundbreaking" gritty magical girls who bleed and die?
>>
>>53130793
>loli
Kill yourself, pedo scum
>>
>>53131126
The expression is used to denote a significant age gap difference between the two participants. It is often used when one of the characters is indeed a loli, but not always.
>>
>>53130626
>>53130756
Maybe she's their homeroom teacher in school as well?
She recognises them because she'd know her precious students anywhere, they don't recognise sensei-chan.
>>
>>53131107
I'll do you one better she's straight
>>
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37t6vd
Can they be magical girls too?
>>
File: precure WEG.jpg (2MB, 1216x4496px) Image search: [Google]
precure WEG.jpg
2MB, 1216x4496px
>>53114129
I like Precure despite being fully aware it's glorified advertisement for little girl toys but I must admit the recent Precure were mediocre/shit.
I also like grimdark mahou shoujo but it pains me to see those are the only one who seems to succeed.
>>
>>53129414
Debatable, they've done a lot of good for themselves comparatively.
>>
>>53121017

I wouldn't call it escapism, but yeah.
>>
>>53133061
Their social structure is utterly fucked, though, by virtue of being stuck in feudal epoch.
http://www.kalzumeus.com/2014/11/07/doing-business-in-japan/
>>
>>53132095

Yeah, they basically are.
>>
>>53131265
>I'm not talking about fucking little girls, I'm just talking about fucking little girls!
You belong in a fire
>>
File: loli tuff world.png (204KB, 502x374px) Image search: [Google]
loli tuff world.png
204KB, 502x374px
>>53133189
Jesus dick
>>
>>53131825
You mean like most magical girls? WHAT A SHOCK!!!!11!1one!
>>
File: so very very tired.png (279KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
so very very tired.png
279KB, 640x360px
>>53133415
Anon, yuri is a prevailing theme in mahou shoujo no matter how much you try to meme on it.
>>
>>53133415
>implying
The genre belongs to /u/ and has been catering to yurifags since they got they degenerate faggy hands on it
>>
>>53126027

It's the age-old problem: villainesses need to be sexy, cause sexy means powerful for women.

>not gonna go SJW on this but yeah, I don't think it's the healthiest thing
>>
>>53133630
> cause sexy means powerful for women
>implying that it isn't the hags who are most powerful
Motherly != sexy.

The "powerful witch" archetype is very closely associated with the "stepmother" archetype, which CAN be sexy, but more often it's just hags.
>>
>>53133476
>>53133495
Tumble pls die already
>>
>>53133630
>cause sexy means powerful for women.
Then explain corpulent, corrupt monarchs like Alice in Wonderland's Queen of Hearts you confirmation biased nigger.
>>
>>53133711
>>53133910

Anon(s), you don't have to persuade me. You'd have to persuade every MS anime crew ever, more or less. I wouldn't mind hags, but they don't appear in these anime.

It's worth pointing out that in genre in which adulthood is so desidered (puberty, transformation and all that) and so much linked to beauty it's pretty obvious why the villain is so often a beautiful adult woman.

>in general both shojo and shounen have a heavy intergenerational conflict, tough nowdays less than before.
>>
>>53133391
Also depressingly accurate, at least the Salaryman part.
>>
File: hoo ray.png (545KB, 422x593px) Image search: [Google]
hoo ray.png
545KB, 422x593px
>>53133884
>>
>>53126027
Imagine all those male villains who are considered hot by girls.

It's because evil is sexy. Black is sexy. White hair is sexy in drawn form. Being cool and calm is sexy. Knowing what you want is sexy. Being ever influential enough to always be on the mind but never around enough to be normal is sexy.

Evil is sexy because they aren't the hero, and we always know the hero. The villain? We only get tastes of them.
>>
>>53132925
>the recent Precure were mediocre/shit.
Barring the disaster that was HaCha, everything since DokiDoki was good to great.
>>
>>53133495
So basically since Sailor Moon.

Also, thank fucking goodness they did. The genre would have quickly slipped into irrelevance had they not.
>>
>>53133933
>You'd have to persuade every MS anime crew ever
Not really, since villainous hags already exist and you're just retarded.
>>
>>53133969
Yuributchi is a hack. Your point?
>>53134385
Don't you have a bodybag to slip into?
>>
>>53134060
Fate did keep the sexy black leather after she was BEFRIENDED. Points to her, I guess?
>>
File: high level martial feats.jpg (85KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
high level martial feats.jpg
85KB, 1280x720px
>>53114763

God, Symphogear is so much fun.

Like, I'm sure that its not "good" from a critical standpoint, but its just a blast to watch because its so insane yet internally consistent.

Pictured: a sword riding another, larger sword into battle.

I also like how some detail of the big bossfight from a season ends up being a major plot point moving forward into the next season. Like blowing off a chunk of the moon being a looming disaster for season 2, or the nephilim arm controlling ancient tech continuing into season 3 and pulling the villains plan out of the fire.

There is a giant crashed machine that can rewrite chunks of the planet with alchemy now, which I can only imagine will play a role in season 4.
>>
>>53134400

For example?
>>
>>53134585
>I also like how some detail of the big bossfight from a season ends up being a major plot point moving forward into the next season.
Symphogear is also full of dropped plot lines, but I'm happy to take the bad with the good. Apart from gx.
>>
>>53134599
Not who you are replying to, but Precia from Nanoha?
>>
>>53134631
> Symphogear is also full of dropped plot lines

Maybe I'm just not remembering them, but what are the worst offenders?

The only thing I ever really remember being disappointed about not getting more of was that each season had progressively less Commander. Which is a crime.

I marathoned all three seasons while painting minis, so I very easily could have just missed shit.
>>
>>53134795
Maybe things like how the commander can use martial arts to deflect explosions and fight Gear users mano a mano, or the bodyguard is capable of running on water and immobilize people by tossing knives at their shadow. And both are normal humans.
>>
>>53134832

That shit's rarely plot relevant so I'd let it slide. I'd be more concerned with how bloated the current cast is getting.
>>
>>53134670

We have very different definitions of "unsexy hag".
>>
File: 1492800706298.png (1MB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
1492800706298.png
1MB, 1920x1090px
>>53134585
>Like, I'm sure that its not "good" from a critical standpoint, but its just a blast to watch because its so insane yet internally consistent.
Fuck yes it is. The plot sure isn't anywhere near stellar, but it is so fun you never give a shit about that. I can't wait for S4.
I'm also enjoying Yuuki Yuuna a lot. The composer of Nier is in charge of the soundtrack, which definitely helps, but it just has the right amounts of cute, funny hijinks and drama.
>>
>>53134904
Least the GXZ bad guys cast was nice enough to die.

>>53134910
Didn't see the "unsexy" part.
Majorina from Smile Precure, then. If she doesn't transform.
>>
>>53134832

That's not a dropped plotline, though. Its just a mystery.

Genjuro gets asked directly what the fuck is up with his magic powers, and he just says "what magic powers? I just train a lot."

Ninjajesus does the same thing. The fact that he can teach Tsubasa the shadow pinning move just reinforces the idea that for whatever reason, what they do is literally just a skill you can learn rather than any special magic power.

I'd love to know more about it too, because that means more Commander which is all I have ever wanted, but the show never promised you a followup and didn't deliver. They were always very clear that this was something ridiculous they had no intention of explaining.

I suspect its just a side effect of humans in the setting being descendants of ancient future awesome civilization. Like how Alchemy is the attempt by early scientists to recover/rediscover magitech, whatever ninja bullshit those two know is just something that got passed down through the years from back when everything was awesome. Probably through Tsubasa's family, since they both have connections to it.
>>
>>53134832
Ogawa is a ninja and genjuurou has kazanari autism. I mean stuff like hibiki growing a new arm and it never being mentioned again, timers that lead to absolutely nothing, tsubasa using ogawa's ninja techniques in s1 then never again, the fact that maria is capable of using multiple gears, the fact that every student in lydian is a potential gear user.
>>
>>53134959
>every student in lydian is a potential gear user.
They get screened for that. They hide gear potential with those health checks they do when you transfer schools.

Another part of the cast that's criminally underused is Anime Janai and her group. They really need Gears of their own. Miku needs hers back too.
>>
>>53134904

Yeah, it feels like the next season has to have some people die or this is going to become a mess. They can't continue to add people at this rate.

Maria is the obvious choice. She does nothing and doesn't have a strong dynamic with the rest of the cast, not even team retard.

Tsubasa or Chris is next most likely, which is a shame because I like them.

Either half of team retard dying feels wrong, so it sort of has to be a neither or both affair, and since they are still the best candidates for a Fine return I doubt they are getting ditched that easy.

And Hibiki's the MC, so it would take some serious balls to kill her off.
>>
>>53135029

Maria seems like the easy option. No one really likes her though so it wouldn't have much impact. Honestly I'd be much happier if they just retire her and the retards and stick with the original central cast.
>>
>>53114129
Every warlock that is female is a magical girl.
Fite me nerd.
>>
File: hibiki and miku.jpg (286KB, 700x990px) Image search: [Google]
hibiki and miku.jpg
286KB, 700x990px
>>53135029

> They kill off Hibiki
> the cast tries to hide it from Miku for like a whole episode
> when Miku finds out, she freaks out so hard she Symphogears up and goes on the warpath

I'd watch a fight that's just Miku flying around lasering the shit out of everything and screaming bloody murder.
>>
Which anime was the one where all the boys turned magical, and the main character always said "love is over" but never understood why?
>>
>>53134959
Oh and let's not forget the moon.
>>
>>53134959
>I mean stuff like hibiki growing a new arm and it never being mentioned again

Relic cancer is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>53135029
>Maria
>doesn't have a strong dynamic with the rest of the cast
S3 had her build serious rep with Tsubasa.

>DMJii
Most likely to get killed. They're too self-containted.

>>53135093
Fuck Gearing up. Bare handed.
>>
>>53134952
>Majorina

I guess an execption has to be there.
>>
>>53135095
Cute high earth defense club love
>>
File: oh look, a smug.jpg (58KB, 744x929px) Image search: [Google]
oh look, a smug.jpg
58KB, 744x929px
>>53134418
>I refuse to accept that yuri is a part the genre
ask pence for some advice on how to cure your fagotry
>>
>>53135150

> Fuck Gearing up. Bare handed.

"What would Hibiki do, if she was here?"

Ghost of Hibiki: PUNCH IT IN THE FAAAAAACE
>>
>>53119997
>Fate
>shellshoked
Maybe when Precia dropped that bomb abou her origin on her, and maybe in your picture, whichas jail basically trying the same thing thing. I woudn´t say Fate was ever shellshocked, outside of those times, and her freinds (Nanoha, Arf, The Foward always helped her through) Hell, I´d say the main theme of Nanoha is: If you have (or have, by any force necessary, made) friends, life cannot keep you down.
And if Fate was ever shell shocked, the befriending and hot yuri lovingNanoha gave her must´ve cured it.
>>53120419
>>53124709

Did either ofyou or one of your friends go by the name TerraOblivion (or some such) on GitP and then Mythweavers, by any chance? I used to enthusiastically follow these people´s Nanoha campaign in M&M, back in the day.
>>
File: lwa-visual.jpeg.jpg (65KB, 396x650px) Image search: [Google]
lwa-visual.jpeg.jpg
65KB, 396x650px
Is she a mahou shojo /tg/?

>no transformation

>setting in which everyone has magic
>>
File: iTxhSJw.jpg (59KB, 473x631px) Image search: [Google]
iTxhSJw.jpg
59KB, 473x631px
>>53135621

>no transformation
>implying
>>
>>53135705

You know what I meant.
>>
>>53135739

Just wanted an excuse to post that.
>>
>>53120072

Sad to say, this would probably be hailed as 'the Evangelion of the genre', but they say that about everything now.
>>
>>53135746

You filthy pervert I wanted a transformed Sucy, Trigger has failed me.
>>
>>53120830
The hate for netorare is probably because it was actually really fucking trendy for a while and wasn't always clearly marked or telegraphed, and ended up becoming an unwelcome surprise in a bunch of otherwise normal-seeming romance manga or porn doujins for a while. It also tends to be the complete antithesis of what you were looking for in the first place if it's there and you didn't expect it.

Rather than a foot fetish, I'd probably equate it more to getting kicked in the balls; if you love it, then you probably really love it, but if you don't, then it's probably not something you enjoy being surprised by out-of-the-blue and if it happens like several times to you in a year.
>>
File: sucy's experiments.jpg (109KB, 700x590px) Image search: [Google]
sucy's experiments.jpg
109KB, 700x590px
>>53135825
Sucy would transform into something worse than an animal
>>
File: jkWZhXjeCdBXO.jpg (46KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
jkWZhXjeCdBXO.jpg
46KB, 900x675px
>>53114129
It's awesome. Too embarrassed to do anything but hide whatever fandom I have but I'm really glad the genre exists.

>>53133969
Sayaka will always be my #1, but seeing that picture really reminds me of what an awesomely crazy madwoman Homu is. I need to watch Rebellion again.
>>
>>53135854

There's not much netori, though. It might be fun to see it becoming more of a thing, because it appeals to "Yeah, I left that bitch in the dust" feel to things.

Actually, that's not exactly true, because NTR is all about making it as heart-rending as possible. You get the idea though.
>>
File: akko pillow.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
akko pillow.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>53135621
Yes, just because it lacks the window trimmings of one doesn't mean it lacks the themes
>>
>>53135861
I like all the red/blue in rebellion desu
>>
>>53135270
I never said it wasn't. I said it was the core of the franchise as memers from /tg/ and /u/ would have you believe from watching an abridged Madoka that one time and then looking up a bunch of Homo x Madoka BDSM porn
>>
>>53135621
>watching Triggershit
>>
>>53136099
Kill la Kill and Inferno Cop were good. Same with the LWA OVAs. Luluco and the TV series of LWA were Trigger really shitting the bed though.
>>
>>53136122
The tv series is great though...
>>
>>53136084
>I never said I wasn't. I'm just saying it wasn't.
U wot m8?

>>53136149
First couple of episodes, yes. Then it went downhill, and horribly.
>>
>>53136122

LWA TV show is pretty good, not yet at OVA levels but we'll see how they wrap things up.

Also SUBS FUCKING WHEN
>>
>>53136228

Don't lose your YAY anon

Cause I'm losing mine

>the problem with the tv series is that it's too episodic. Aside from Akko being more responsibile there isn't much development, and the other girls are kinda just there. Other than that I'm loving it.
>>
>>53136296
>>53136228
>>53136122
Adding boys was a mistake
>>
>>53136122

LWATV is fine. Its a slower, more comfy show than the relatively action packed OVAs, but thats fine.

If Akko did what we saw her do in the OVA's every three episodes, she wouldn't be Akko. She has to be a barely passing but optimistic screwup for most of the show, because that's her character. Make her too competent and have her fight giant monsters all the time and her character stops working because she is playing Dark Souls: Sorcery Build Edition.

And the moral of the show so far is rock solid. Your heroes didn't get where they did because they had a magical destiny or natural awesomeness that made the road to greatness easy. They had to work their ass off for it, and you do too.

The Shiney Rod is also a pretty good concept, as far as /tg/ related plot relics go. Its a key to the plot device that only lets you near the world-shaking power if you start from scratch with no real training and follow the 12 step program so you meet the mental and emotional ideal that the people who made the rod would feel comfortable trusting that power to. Someone with the wrong mindset, or even who is just too personally experienced when they first encounter the rod, will never fully unlock it.

Its essentially an idiot-proof way to make sure the power can never be abused.
>>
>>53136296

I definitely agree its too episodic, but its still got the general sense of adventure of the OVAs.

>>53136370

Honestly yes, but mostly because the show has too many characters and it hasn't really developed them well.
>>
File: confused anime girl.png (183KB, 386x406px) Image search: [Google]
confused anime girl.png
183KB, 386x406px
>>53136370
>he doesn't want Lotte and Frank to develop a healthy and loving relationship
>>
File: Sucy.png (376KB, 705x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Sucy.png
376KB, 705x1200px
>>53136296
>Don't lose your YAY anon
Perhaps we can come up with something that will help you resotre...
>>
File: sucy.jpg (906KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
sucy.jpg
906KB, 1200x1600px
>>53136429
This is a more realistic Sucy
>>
File: ursula depression.jpg (97KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ursula depression.jpg
97KB, 1280x720px
>>53136296
>Don't lose your YAY anon
You can't lose what you never had
>>
>>53136426
You're goddamned right I don't. Purity is the path to enlightenment, seek solace in your coven.
>>
>>53134953

The makers of the show kinda explained this in an AMA.

In the Symphogears verse you get powers based on your hobbies.
>>
>>53136370

I actually like Andrew and Frank.

>>53136380

Yeah, if there was an anime character that worked her ass off in the last 20 years it's Akko.

>I'm fully prepared to cry manly tears when in last ep she casts a spell right

Anyway Asenshi puts last ep at 100% in everything right now
>>
>>53136581

We on /tg/ would probably be gods in that universe
>>
>>53136226
You can accept it's present without claiming it to be a central concept you lesbian obsessed cuck.
>>
>>53136122
>KLK
>good
In what reality? Unless they were during some meta bullshit with all those hastily cut and reconfigured plot threads, it was a complete and utterly inconsistent mess
>>
>>53136668
Since when does bleating stale memes and not actually playing TTRPG's convey godliness?
>>
>>53136688

You're overstating the problems, and even if you weren't, its not like the plot is the only thing that makes a show good.
>>
>>53136671
It may not be a central concept but it is still critical.
>>
>>53136699
>>53136699

b-b-but I do play them

(well, mostly boardgames now, but still if I play Axis&Allies I should be some kind of fucking Rommel alright)
>>
>>53136706
Then what? The pisspoor """comedic""" animation? The poorly developed characters with meandering and resetting arcs? The generic Sawano Surge of a soundtrack? A central theme that couldn't stay consistent?

The show had nothing but some titty and butt shots, which you can get from just about any anime.
>>
>>53136618

>Anyway Asenshi puts last ep at 100% in everything right now

Pretty sure that's a mistake.
>>
>>53136736
And what army would listen to an out of shape, pompous faggot with zero actual military experience like yourself?
>>
>>53136760

Nah, the characters were pretty fun and the animation, while inconsistent, could be really good at times. No one is denying that the show had issues, but you honestly have to be trying to hate it to call it bad.
>>
>>53136778

It's magic anon.
>>
>>53136785
>the characters were pretty fun
Subjective. I found them to be a chore.
>the animation, while inconsistent, could be really good at times.
It was choppy and lazy 90% of the time. It doesn't matter how good the other 10% is when the majority is more of a slideshow than fucking Bakemonogatari. Besides, none of the action scenes peaked nearly as high as Kekkai Sensen, which had many of the same issues as KLK but was an all around more enjoyable experience.
>No one is denying that the show had issues, but you honestly have to be trying to hate it to call it bad.
No, you have to be trying to like it to call it good. It was mediocre at best with whatever arguably good scenes lazily repeated ad nauseum that they lost all flavor.
>>
So is Symphogear actually good? I've heard some very negative things about it but people here seem to like it. If it's cheesy-and-stupid-but-fun I can handle it - is it?
>>
>>53136856
>but was an all around more enjoyable experience
I found it to be a slog to get through with a climax that lacked any real weight. Good animation, but that's just what's expected of Bones.
>>
>>53136802
>people would totally love me in an alternate universe! I'd be so charismatic and amazing without even trying!
I'd think you would be more suited to space travel. With how fast your escapism ramps up, you could break the gravity well with a single autofellatio session that you call your posts.
>>
>>53136887
Yes, it is surprisingly good.
>>
>>53136856

>the majority is more of a slideshow than fucking Bakemonogatari

Is this b/a/it?

>>53136906

Sure dude.
>>
>>53136900
>I found it to be a slog to get through with a climax that lacked any real weight
Hilarious, coming from someone praising KLK.
>I go space now
>mom come home
>mother is kill
>shirtfriend is kill
>I am naked with sister 5ever
>but no more shirtfriend
>lyk dis if u krei evrytiem ;_;
>>
>>53136618

Its actually pretty great that Akko has so much trouble casting fake-latin spells BECAUSE she is from japan.

Engrish not so great at saying "Tiaflalae"
>>
>/tg/ thinks Gatchaman is a poorly written mess
>has nothing but praise for KLK
And yet you fags think you can anime better than /a/
>>
>>53136933
I'm not even that guy though, just a third anon giving an opinion
>>
>>53136916
>Is this b/a/it?
You're right, I'm being unfair to Bakemonogatari. That show had some seriously gorgeous action sequences that KLK could never top since Trigger can't reliably animate anything more strenuous than paper dolls.
>>
>>53136967
Uh, those are different people with differen opinions.... I'm >>53115260 and I disliked the second half of KLK greatly.

Also it's just opinions man.
>>
I never cease to be amused whenever I see /tg/ talking about anime like if they were prime experts with a doctorate on anime when all their knowledge starts and ends with whatever entry-level dubbed crap they watched exclusively on Toonami.
>>
>>53137041
They do the same thing videogames while praising swill like Borderlands 2 and Skyrim.
>>
File: guess again nerd.gif (537KB, 353x117px) Image search: [Google]
guess again nerd.gif
537KB, 353x117px
>>53136967
>And yet you fags think you can anime better than /a/
the fact that you're even having this conversation instead of shitposting about keshitmo friends or whatever seasonal shit the zipperheads excrete disproves this
>>
>>53136887

Its concept is VERY anime and honestly sort of dumb, but the worldbuilding eventually explains away a good chunk of it.

Its not suuuuuper well animated, but the powers and nature of the action are insane enough to be noteworthy on their own. The first season, in particular has some tone issues that are both jarring when a sudden tone shift happens and keeps you on your toes because you swiftly learn that a cheerful scene can turn into "oh my god, so many bodies!" in less time than it took you to read that sentence.

A brief summation of premise with some minor spoilers: Ancient supertech civilization got too impressive, aliens (or god, unclear) deployed a weapon that crashed their culture by destroying their 'perfect' universal language. In the chaos and confusion they turned on each other and destroyed themselves. A few relics still remain from that golden age, usually broken down but still functional enough to be used as magical combat armor. However, without the perfect language around, the only way to turn them on is singing, because singing is the closest thing we have left because you don't need to understand the words for a song to make you feel something.
They fight goofy looking but fucking TERRIFYING monsters called Noise.
>>
File: you for real.png (109KB, 287x288px) Image search: [Google]
you for real.png
109KB, 287x288px
>>53137127
>praising swill like Borderlands 2 and Skyrim
Bring up Skyrim and you'll rile the Morrowindfags. Bring up Borderlands and you get ranting on SJWs
>>
File: baitchan.gif (841KB, 430x834px) Image search: [Google]
baitchan.gif
841KB, 430x834px
>>53137127
>praising swill like Borderlands 2 and Skyrim.
did you even try with this one?
>>
>>53137211
I'm the Kamen Rider fag from earlier in the thraed, and those are basically all issues I overlook weekly for Kamen Rider. Sounds like a good fit for me.
>>
>>53137154
Except people ARE shitposting about this season's Triggershit.
Kemono Friends is another show with better animation than KLK
>>
>>53137219
>>53137256
Search the archives, faglord. People were BEGGING for a BL2 homebrew back when it was the garbage of the month. Not to mention /tg/ is one of the more SJW-y boards out there
>>
>>53137314
>>53137314

Show us were Yoshinari touched you anon
>>
File: blake sneak.gif (2MB, 300x278px) Image search: [Google]
blake sneak.gif
2MB, 300x278px
>>53137314
>Kemono Friends
>better than anything
it reminds me way too much of that RWBY garbage
>>
>>53137338
>People were BEGGING for a BL2 homebrew back when it was the garbage of the month
>a handful of inbred retards from begged us to make one ages ago
>means that we like it
>>
>>53137367
It's nothing like RWBY at all. The poor CGI is the result of the series being done by literally ten dudes on computers. It also doesn't squander its characters and story on useless crap like RWBY does.
>>
>>53137367
RWBY is just western KLK
>>
>>53137411
It had just as many threads with just as many posters as any other homebrew
>>
File: i'm ready to die.jpg (48KB, 530x800px) Image search: [Google]
i'm ready to die.jpg
48KB, 530x800px
>>53137484
>The poor CGI is the result of the series being done by literally ten dudes on computers
>t-they're trying their best, d-don't go too hard on them
They deserve to die of overwork
>>
>>53137529
Eh, it paid off. KF is basically the next big thing.

And the director really almost did overwork himself to death.
>>
File: kamiya.jpg (47KB, 699x633px) Image search: [Google]
kamiya.jpg
47KB, 699x633px
>>53137523
>It had just as many threads with just as many posters as any other homebrew
>yet another shitty vidya homebrew that amounted to nothing and was forgotten after a month at most
>this means that /tg/ somehow loves it
>>
>>53137484

Be honest with me. Is there anything ACTUALLY good about Kemeno friends?

I tried giving it a shot, and in addition to the janky CG... it feels a lot like I am watching edutainment for kids that autists on the internet latched on to because it has animal themed girls in outfits they wanna fug.
>>
>>53137920

And pretty ugly ones at that.
>>
>>53135621

Nah, its now mecha.
>>
>>53137948
>Little Newtype Academia
I have a hunch that's already been done somewhere
>>
Akko isn't a MS, she's a druid that went to Hogwarts by accident
>>
>>53137920
It has an actual plot, and subplots below it. It's an actually good plot that is in no hurry to explain, but does in due time. The characters are endearing too, and they're actual CHARACTERS, not merely cardboard cutouts.
>>
>>53138099

I need more than "it has a plot". That is not a point in its favor. Most shows have plots. And, again, the first episode reeks of being edutainment.

I fell for that trick once with Time Travel Girl (the show description listed it as "Two girls attempt to make a cake and accidently go back in time to hang out with electrical engineers." How could I not check that out? How do you fuck up baking so hard you get lost in time and space?). I only stuck around for that because the show was kinda hilarious in that every time she time traveled the first reaction people had was always "holy shit, an asian person!"
Thread posts: 365
Thread images: 86

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.