[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell us about "That guy" anon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

File: 1491796254234.gif (899KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1491796254234.gif
899KB, 600x600px
Tell us about "That guy" anon
>>
Last night I learned that 'experience' does not make the best players.
>For various reasons party has come to a magical temple of a god of illusions
>We come to a room with three glass bridges with smoke on the sides, we determine which bridge is the least likely to break, so we'll be walking across that one
>Summoner decides to fly via his Eidolon instead, agro's two Mihstus that are probably above our level
>After dealing with them, we all walk across the bridge to a giant crystal thingy.
>Summoner goes in first, gets his magic recharged, has a vision about where his character specific illusions are and gets hurt in the process
>The bard then follows suit, recovers his spells, gets his less physically painful but more emotionally scarring vision and location of where his character specific illusion is
>Summoner decides it'd be a good idea to try to use this giant crystal that's so big you have to walk into to make his spells stronger in the dungeon
>DM warns him about the evil overlord list and drops hints that it's not a good idea
>Summoner does it anyways
>Bunch of musical instruments appear and the rest of the party needs to pass a reflex save or be hit by a piano, most of us pass but one of us does take 1/3rd of his HP in damage in the process and almost fell into a spike pit
>Summoner becomes a mist drake
>DM makes it clear that it's temporary
>Summoner's player keeps bitching about how he should be able to roll spellcraft to determine the caster level of the polymorph spell, DM and group says no
>Summoner talks about how he'll quit the campaign
>We manage to turn him back, what does his 'make magic stronger' endeavor get him?
>He has some free meta-magic casts. No meta-magic feats. Can only use power to increase spell DC.
>>
>>53113459
I fear that I am That Guy based on my characters.
>>
>>53114038
Tell us more
>>
File: 1490666250013.png (76KB, 331x328px) Image search: [Google]
1490666250013.png
76KB, 331x328px
Yesterday I DM'ed for the first time

"that guy" did the following
>didn't want to socialize with the party
>kept all the shit for himself
>always wanted to go forwards alone when the party was resting
>OOC swore he was going to kill another player character at some point in another campaign for killing his charmed goblin that was going to become sentient again soon

I though "that guy" was just a meme, but holy fuck he's annoying to play with, what should I do?
>>
>>53117020
Start throwing out cursed objects that he'll end up keeping for himself?

Make some traps designed for different party members to solve with loot that he'll clearly want and laugh as he gets brutalized trying to get it for himself?

Just generally find a way to in-game penalize him for his behaviors until his character is dead and/or he quits? Or less likely that he actually stops being an asshole, if that happens then ease off them some but if that was going to happen he probably wouldn't be 'that guy' in the first place.
>>
>>53117020
Bring a gun to the table and shoot him or yourself.
>>
I'm lucky not to have a "that guy", but I have a guy that, while not terrible or constantly a fucker has some moments of absolute "that GM"

I don't wanna get specific but lets say that he likes the idea of fucking up with players just for it. Some railrioading GMs don't let players do shit by making up excuses of why their plan wouldn't work whereas this GM doesn't say anything, keeps it to himself and then makes the plan explode on your face based on the aforementioned excuses. And other fuckery

For example for the rules of vampire the masquerade if a vampire is put to unconscious by aggravated damage it disintegrates into dust. Considering vampire fangs deal aggravated damage the absolute motherfucker tried to pull a "haha, tricked you xD" by making so that any vampire attempting to do diablerie to an unconscious vampire would have to bite it, thus dealing aggravated damage, thus disintegrating the body, thus leaving nothing to do diablerie on. Of course we called him on such tremendous bullshit and he retracted, but the sheer attempt was enough to take the piss.
There are more moments like this though, but as I've said those are just moments and not his constant attitude, so he is saved from being considered a "that GM"
>>
>>53113671
that was confusing as fuck
>>
File: advice from tg.jpg (28KB, 600x726px) Image search: [Google]
advice from tg.jpg
28KB, 600x726px
>>53117640
There's a lot of suicide related advice from /tg/ today.
>>
>>53118381
Hey now, my advice was also murder related.
>>
>>53118381
take the world by the balls and tell it that it should stop being a fag
>>
File: 1494117991822.jpg (175KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1494117991822.jpg
175KB, 960x960px
>>
File: 1487416150394.gif (1MB, 223x200px) Image search: [Google]
1487416150394.gif
1MB, 223x200px
First, some background.
>That Guy really only invited as a formality at this point, too busy texting to notice us skipping his turns
>When he does play, he only cares about making money, doesn't matter what the setting/his character is
>Meanwhile, DM is a god among men
>Puts in effort, makes sure everyone, even that guy, is having fun
>Extremely in depth but natural settings/campaigns
>Really nice guy, wouldn't hurt a fly
There's two others who play with us, but they aren't important to this story.
>Campaign just ended, group decides on a new MGS as the new setting
>DM says he'll try to make it work
>Shows up next session with way more paper than usual
>Made a new system, entirely designed for MGS
>Last time he made a system it was fucking amazing, so everyone is hyped, even that guy puts away his phone
>That guy asks to see while DM gets set up
>Hands him the papers, that guy begins taking pictures with his phone
>>
He's the kind of guy who won't trade his Arid Mesa for a Marsh Flats + $5 worth of other stuff unless you also trade for your Scalding Tarn at the same time despite the fact that he actually wants to use Marsh Flats and will never use Arid Mesa.

Fuck you Steve.
>>
File: 1484247471654.png (367KB, 568x454px) Image search: [Google]
1484247471654.png
367KB, 568x454px
>>53122071
>"Uh, what are you doing?"
>"Dude, this shit has gotta go online! Do you know how much money we could make?"
>DM freezes
>He's quite shy, doesn't like us talking about his DMing, let alone posting it online
>"Please don't."
>That guy keeps going, taking photos
>DM grabs the paper
>"Please. I really don't want you to, so give it back."
>That guy tries to pull the papers away
>They get ripped clean in half
>>
>>53122160
And for that, the punishment is death.
>>
>>53122160
>>He's quite shy, doesn't like us talking about his DMing, let alone posting it online

Is that a plot hole I smell...
>>
>>53122160
>That guy gets pissed
>"If you hadn't been so greedy, I could've taken the photos already!"
>Proceeds to rip up the half of the paper he has and leaves
>Single tear down DM's cheek
>Without saying a word, walks away, presumably went home
>The papers were all handwritten, as far as we know there was no other copy
>It's been over a week, haven't heard from DM since
>>53122195
He's shy, but once he opens up he's super friendly and creative. Bit of a luddite though, thinks the internet is full of evil hackers
>>
>>53122370
Holy shit. Fuck that guy. Give your dm a hug from me
>>
>>53122370

Have you thought about never speaking to that guy ever again?
>>
File: 1491378807260.gif (2MB, 655x357px) Image search: [Google]
1491378807260.gif
2MB, 655x357px
>>53122370
I knew this thread would make me rage but god damn that pushes me over the line.

Fuck that guy.
>>
Went to a larp camp on the other last weekend
That guy hurt himself on purpose when his character was about to die
I mean he actualy threw himself head first in some guy's shield, he actualy broke the dude's shield and blamed him of course.
The whole event had to stop and awesome things had to be interrupted because of that guy.
>>
>>53122424
I will if I can, anon.
>>53122519
Every fucking second since the paper ripped.
>>
>>53122370
>>53122160
>>53122071
>Things that never happened.

Can't find a game so you come on here to play pretend huh?
>>
>>53122669
>my life is shitty and boring, so others must have a boring life too.
>>
>>53122424
Holy shit. This story is fake and you're a sucker
>>
File: 1494159301980.jpg (34KB, 479x361px) Image search: [Google]
1494159301980.jpg
34KB, 479x361px
>>
>>53113671
Agreed. I had a GM who often touted his years of experience and yet was wholly unable to do anything beyond the roughshod plot he'd made. You could try to flesh out your character, give them desires, needs, etc, but if it didn't revolve around his (every time, btw) 'world will end' plot, you got fuck and all for your effort.

>there aren't any criminals or gangs at the docks, Anon
>yes it's the only shipping port to the capital
>let's hop on our crocoturtles and meander into the desert, you don't have much else to do
>>
>>53122904
Yes a whole party of three people just stood there and watched and didn't do anything while one player was forcibly stealing something from the DM.
>>
>>53126175
One was taking a shit, the other two of us were just too late in our reactions. It all happened pretty quickly, and we weren't sure what was actually going on. In retrospect, we both feel like shit for not acting sooner. I just felt that all of that wasn't necessary to the story, and that it wouldn't be hard to assume there was a reason we didn't react. Sorry.
>>
>>53126175
People don't jump up to help anyone. I'd believe it less if the players did anything but stare blankly at what happened. I was hit by a fucking car one time and it took almost two hours before someone decided to call an ambulance (the stupid asian whore who lived next door literally stared at me over her security fence while a begged and pleaded for her to call someone). so yeah, I believe someone could do this and most people would just let it happen.
>>
Would it be "that DM" to name the Ogre boss of a dungeon Dindu? Making he speak "Dindu kill you / Dindu smart Ogre around / Dindu king and shit" as a retard, and scream when defeat "I Dindu Nuffin!".
>>
>>53127568

Depends on how /pol/ your players are.
>>
>>53127601
Roll20 John Does, the name will only ever be written to reduce chance of recognizing the term.
>>
>>53127568
Ok so what's the advantage of this? What is anyone set to gain from it?
>>
>>53127724
Its funny. And accurate.
>>
>>53127683
It's easier to recognise in text.
>>
>>53113459
he'd be a "this guy" compared to the average fa/tg/uy
>>
>>53126814
>>53126913
Those are all stories I cannot know if they are true, therefore I'm simply not going to judge, in one way or the other.
>>
>>53127724
DM amusement, little easter egg.
>>
>>53127568
Rather than straight up Dindu, name him Deanduh
>>
File: C5Xq0GUWcAE5fTW.jpg (349KB, 850x1099px) Image search: [Google]
C5Xq0GUWcAE5fTW.jpg
349KB, 850x1099px
>background: players are looking for an evil necronomicon style book. The warlock (dan) wants it because his extradimensional eldritch horror patron told him to get it.
>the cleric (tom) and the paladin (bill) are working together to get the book before the warlock because they think it'd suspicious.
>they manage to find the book before the warlock and the cleric gets it out of its magically trapped area safely.
>paladin tells the cleric to put the book in his bag of holding
>cleric says no he'll just hold on to it
>paladin insists
>cleric still refuses
>bill looks at me and says "I draw my sword and stand in his way to get out of the room."
>tom says he casts a mage circle and names celestial because pally is homebrew angel pc
>I remind him it takes a full minute to cast the spell
>bunch of bullshit arguing ensues
>I kind of hope one kills the other so I don't have to deal with this anymore
>barbarian manages to come up with a solution where he holds on yo the book because use he's illiterate do he can't do anything with it
>everyone agRees
>immediately while out of sight barb rips out several random pages of a book he can't read and hides them for reasons he can't explain.

Jess Christ tg.
>>
>>53129203
Illiterate, not dumb. Good barb.
>>
>playing apocalypse world
>me and others are pretty grounded characters
>some suave handsome-rogue style mercenary
>old mechanic from the war (think bill from L4D
>slightly crazed doctor lady
>'that guy'
>dressed in full medieval plate with a t-shirt on top with a bullseye and the phrase "don't miss" written on it
>refers to himself as "Straight Outta LA"
>Instantly kills first npc we meet
>solos every single encounter before anyone else can chime in
>>
Our that guy hasn't shown up to 4 of 6 sessions or so. Forcibly leads the party when here, either by plot or by stupid actions like ruining negotiations or mild sabotage.
>>
>>53129634
kek.
>>
>>53129634
>solos every single encounter before anyone else can chime in

That's not how AW is supposed to work.
>>
>>53129717
kick him. fucking duh.
>>
>>53127568
Why not just go full /pol/ and have your players fight some racist caricatures instead?
>>
>>53130522
They should play FATAL then.
>>
>>53131385
Or RaHoWa
>>
>>53131664
Why not both?
>>
>>53131678
>>53131664
>>53131385
Wraeththu
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.