[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Free warband skirmishes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: warband-skirmish.jpg (338KB, 900x505px) Image search: [Google]
warband-skirmish.jpg
338KB, 900x505px
What are your experiences with wargames that allow you to use any dudes?

Something like SoBaH or Mordheim mods (although the second one need more specified models).

I'm curious about your experiences with games that allow you to take bunch of your dudes, stat them and call it your warband.

I tried sobah but 2 stats thing wasn't so great for me. Currently looking at Open Combat as it has campaign rules similar to Mordheim which is great.

Share other rules you know, preferably for fantasy/middle ages but anything will do.
>>
>>53112622
what do you mean whatever miniature? a generic ruleset for every setting? or miniature from whatever brand?

because if the latter, i have read the rules of Ronin and i must say those seems great.
>>
>>53112805
I meant like generic ruleset for every (almost) setting. But both can be.

SOBAH is a perfect example. Model stat system is just too easy (2 stats in overall) so I'm looking for alternatives.

Is ronin based on samurai era?
>>
>>53113015
Yep, Ronin is samurai era, but there is a official variant called En garde (it should be basically the same, but im not sure, dont know where to find the rules) from the same autor wich takes place in the musketeers era.

in regards of generic rulesets i dont know much sorry, but like you i would like to know more.
>>
SoBaH is my favorite. I demo'd a game to a guy who had never played tabletop outside of an RPG or boardgames, and he caught right on to it.

2 stats is a little slim, but it works in the context of the setting and scale. I.E. if you want to go bigger battles, or go a little more future with more ranged weapons, then the system really shows its flaws, but for small scale fantasy skirmish, it works really well.

I am normally a warhammer player, but SoBaH is the game I will use to teach my daughters how to play tabletop wargames. I just really like it for its simplicity.
>>
>>53114146
I enjoyed playing it but it's really easy to make overpower character there with all the abilities.

Like archer with 5's + super archery skills.

Sure it's all up to the players but I'd like to have more ways to expres various perks even if in the end it's just plain numbers.

I'm not saying sobah is bad - I'm just looking for more titles.

Complexity of Mordheim and its mods is great for me. The problem here is you can't take exactly ANY figures. The look of the warband is more or less dictated.
Sure you can play with any, but as well you can play with beer caps - that's not the point.

I'm half through Open Combat reading as we speak. Anybody got any experience with it?
>>
>>53113727
I play En Garde! at my local club- Osprey produces it- you just really need the game book and it's fun. There is also a steampunk skirmish called in her majestys name by Osprey with fantasy/ victorian era themes I have ordered the book but not had a game yet.
>>
Vortex isn't bad, and neither is that Savage Worlds based one. (Showdown I think?)
>>
I am enjoying Saga a lot. I don't use a single official figure, opting to build my Irish warband out of Footsore and Crusader Miniatures. Terribly fun game, especially with the its unique ability system. It's one of the few games that lets me field Irish Wolfhounds. If only I had $5000 laying around to get a real one instead of the $1.50 miniature ones.
>>
>>53112622
Frostgrave is fun. We play regularly at our FLGS and are getting ready to start Thaw of the Lich King campaign. You can find the rules on /tg, you can use any models you have (fantasy obviously), and it is pretty bookkeeping-light (only 2.5 models advance). Just get the books, a friend, some d20 and 10 models each then you are set.
>>
>>53116696
>>53120355

The Osprey books are on average pretty good, I'm hoping they'll do a one for classical and ancient skirmish combat.
>>
>>53120150
We haven't started playing yet but my group are making warbands for it. I've made a necromancer with undead troops I have picked up here and there.

Now I just need to make a shit load of scenery. So much foam core and polystyrene in my shed right now
>>
>>53123063
Shameless plug, I show how I made my ruins. For frostgrave it would be the same thing, just paint it snowy instead of dark and green.

>http://bitsaddiction.blogspot.com/2017/04/city-ruins-terrain.html?m=1
>>
>>53123088
Noice! Thanks! This is going to be handful
>>
>>53113727
>>53116696
I checked ronin rules online. Is en garde having exactly the same rules just for different era?

>>53119079
At first I wanted to jump into saga but slightly higher amount of minis and special dice required put me a bit off. Ill go for it one day thou.

>>53120150
I heard a lot of comments about frostgrave both positive and negative ones. The biggest complaint was that your mage is your warband. Even with apprentice that gives you 2 models able to advance and the rest is just meat. How are your feels about this? I liked Mordheim approach where even shitty youngblood could get one or two levels and you felt a little connection with the guy.
>>
>>53127363
There are conversion tables for the dice in the SAGA rulebooks. Definitely not hard to use, and the official plastic models make the affair very cheap.
>>
>>53129181
Yeah I know it's possible even using 123 as one side 45 as the other and 6 as the third
It's just one more thing to be converted next to minis to be able to play. And desu - it's more about the warband size.

It fits that spot between full battle size and a 10 model skirmish nicely, but as my model count is limited I'm curious about other options.

Nonethenless, SAGA seems great and I will try it one day - no doubts in that.
>>
>>53120355
Could you describe it in 2-3 sentences or to compare it to any existing one?
>>
Age of sigmar I guess.
No one is going to call you out for using GB Hirdmen for dark elves while they themselves prance on an imaginary horse. Then again, good luck finding anyone to play that with you.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.