[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FALLOUT D20

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: FD20.jpg (99KB, 460x586px) Image search: [Google]
FD20.jpg
99KB, 460x586px
I am creating a campaign/world for a new campaign that I am going to try this Summer (2017). My friends and I love the Fallout series more than you could imagine, and we are willing to try this system despite its flaws.

Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas, stories, or anything else they'd like to discuss?

Post it here!

The campaign: I am deciding against giving the players a big main quest--having GM'd for them for 2 campaigns prior and seeing how they work, I think this will work out better. Rather, I have created a world map Fallout2-style gridmap and I will let them explore it at their own pace. I have created plenty of towns and factions for them to interact with as they wish, and have created some important npc characters--some of which may join them as a GMPC, should they ask.

The world : I will follow mainly Fallout lore, but I will incorporate Exodus' lore just so they don't get lazy and get in the mode of "Oh, its Fallout, got it." However, I will rename many of the elements that Exodus clearly intended to be Fallout elements and have them work as the Fallout world would; I.E. Ghuls being ghouls... Trans-genetic mutants clearly being super mutants.

I intend on incorporating synths, but they won't be a major element--think about the super mutants in Fallout: New Vegas--they exist, but they are scarce and only congregated to a few spots on the map.

Grid-Map details: I have written up a list of random encounters (35% chance of encounter every 2 squares traveled on map). The map of the world is 11x17 squares and is marked with 17 locations (towns mainly). I want to keep the world simple, but still give them enough freedom to explore, and give them a realistic feel for the world--its a nuclear wasteland in a desert, it's going to be barren, but settlements still exist.
>>
>>53111754
>I intend on incorporating synths

Not to go full NMA, but they feel a little out of place in the scheme of retro futurism. If you're not going for that, it should be fine, but if you are, they may clash.
>>
>>53111754
>The fucking Fallout shills are real
Bethesda, fuck off, your game is gunna be shit, you're the reason RPGs have gotten an influx of fuck boi players trying to play it like skyrim.
>>
>>53111904
Synths existed in the Interplay lore, but it was handled completely differently, the institute was actually helping the commonwealth out. Synths were slaves/servants that provided them with everything that was needed, problem was that the commonwealth people started to sympathize and stop wiping the synth's personality as it was developing, causing them to become more and more independant until they started to rebel. The main conflict originally was going to be the East Coast brotherhood trying to research the synths for their own gains and to "protect" the commonwealth, the Institute trying to keep shit under control and keep out meddlers, and the enclave who provided the institute with the original materials to create the synth.
Literally 100x better than what bethesda shit out
>>
>>53111754

Just from looking at your image, for a more compelling setting, a suggestion:

- Tone down the presence of power armor, super mutants, vehicles, powerful weapons.

- More regular dudes in leather jackets. Small farming communities built around springs, rivers, defensible positions. Almost everyone in the world should just be regular people looking to get by.

Think more Shady Sands and Junktown, less le ebin wykked hi-tech lol.

(and hexes are better than squares)
>>
>>53112114
Agreed, nig.
>>
>>53112153
That is what I have done. The only high tech stuff is coming from the brotherhood, and they hold onto it, and Vault City, but they are isolationist bungholes like they were in 2. I took fallout 2 as a base inspiration for this campaign.
The PC's have a car, but no one else really has them due to rarity.
>>
>>53112006
Stop being 12, kid. I'm doing this because, having GM'ed for 2 Pathfinder campaigns, I realize that my friends are much more passionate about Fallout and I have a better creative mind for Fallout than le generic fantasy--plus magic fucking destroyed any semblance of mundane realism for my worlds I tried to make.
Fallout will keep things more grounded towards my world-building approach.
>>
>>53112357
Play Fallout d100, it's a better idea than translating the game to a d20 system since you can literally use the system of Fallout 1 and 2
>>
>>53111754

You need to have a strong understanding of mechanics to handle starvation, thirst, radiation , sleep deprivation , wilderness travel , random encounters , foraging for food , encumbrance and to actually enforce them as most groups fail to do so.

A fallout game without survival mechanics isn't a fallout game at all.
>>
>>53113044
>starvation, thirst, sleep deprivation
>In any of the Fallouts outside of an optional mode
>>
>>53113044
Thanks for the reminder. So far I've only really stressed carrying weight, as normally we forgo it in Pathfinder, I'll be sure to read up on starvation, etc. I really want them to take it serious.
>>
>>53113330
>H'durr! It's not in the vidja so you shouldn't have it!
>>
File: Bellcurve.png (2KB, 400x230px) Image search: [Google]
Bellcurve.png
2KB, 400x230px
>>53112153
>hexes are better than squares
GURPS REPRESENT
>>
>>53113415

To make tracking food and water simpler and to create tension you can use physical tokens to represent 1lb of food / 1 gallon of water. The players can then just note down what they have at the end of each session and get the tokens at the start of the next.

Players all visibly being able to see these resources makes life a lot easier and creates real feelings of fear when they see those supplies physically thinning out.
>>
>>53112153
>- Tone down the presence of power armor, super mutants, vehicles, powerful weapons.
>- More regular dudes in leather jackets. Small farming communities built around springs, rivers, defensible positions. Almost everyone in the world should just be regular people looking to get by.
This. If someone finds a suit of Power Armor, that shit is a fucking godsend. Not something you wear every damn day.

Be careful with Deathclaws. PCs will expect a Deathclaw to be full-on-rapist mode, but at the same time you can't make it so ridiculously powerful that more than 6-8 guys can't just focus it to death without loosing anyone.

>>53113044
Also this.
>>
File: wut.jpg (11KB, 211x200px) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
11KB, 211x200px
>>53113330
>Play post apocalyptic survival game
>Expects character to be gestalt murderhobo powered by loot
>>
>>53112114
Do you have a source on this?
>>
>>53113330
>why was the Vault Dweller sent out anyway
>>
>>53111754

Maybe throw in some of "The 100" with a space station crew crashing back to earth?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.