[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Imperium of Man vs Inner Sphere/Clans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

File: 40kvsBT.jpg (193KB, 601x541px) Image search: [Google]
40kvsBT.jpg
193KB, 601x541px
Warhammer 40,000 vs. BattleTech!
>Neutral uninhabited world
>Prior agreement of forces deployed
>Victory determined by number of individual engagements won
Using the setup what would the Imperials bring to bear, especially for planet fall? And I'm counting all Imperial armies as one for this. (Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Inquisition, Sisters of Battle, Imperial Knights, Adeptus Mechanicus)
Also what would a Devlin Stone style coalition (Mechs and tech from Inner Sphere, Clan, and Com-Star) field for such a challenge?
Would each internal faction fight on their own in separate engagements or could a mix of unit formations be possible?
>Imperial Guard vs Conventional Infantry
>IG/SM tanks/speeders/aircraft vs tanks/hovers/vtols/aerospace fighters
>Space Marines vs Battle Armor/Elementals
>Dreadnaughts/Dreadknights/Penitent Engines vs ProtoMechs
>IG Sentinels/Knights/Titans vs BattleMechs/OmniMechs
I feel like it's dead even up till the mechs, once titans come into play it'd take whole lances/stars of assaults to even bother them.
And space battles? Forget it. Unless I'm miss remembering AeroTech, Battlefleet Gothic dwarfs BT spaceships in scale alone.
Also I would love to see a mockup fight using 40k epic scale minis.
>>
>>53104526
>I feel like it's dead even up till the mechs, once titans come into play it'd take whole lances/stars of assaults to even bother them.
>And space battles? Forget it. Unless I'm miss remembering AeroTech, Battlefleet Gothic dwarfs BT spaceships in scale alone.
yeah seems about right.
Even a clanner is probably going to shit his pants the first time he encounters all 2500 tonnes of a warlord titan.

Imperial stuff does tend to have an advantage in force scale, an imperial invasion typically has many more infantry and tanks than a Btech force seems to be depicted.
>>
File: 1467574632634.jpg (290KB, 1297x422px) Image search: [Google]
1467574632634.jpg
290KB, 1297x422px
>>53104847
>Imperial stuff does tend to have an advantage in force scale, an imperial invasion typically has many more infantry and tanks than a Btech force seems to be depicted.
That's why prefered scenario has some sort of force scale balancing.
>>
>>53104526
I love BT but 40k wins hands down. The fluff is written as individual soldiers doing completely unbelievable feats, while their -transports- can ruin continents.

I'd still kill for a madcat in 40k.
>>
File: RS-IG.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
RS-IG.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
>>
>>53104878
infantry and tanks are even enough that we can just call it a draw there assumeing approximately ewually sized forces.

what people really care about is the mechs/titans.
Titans have a serious individual power advantage, even a warhound scout titan I can see taking on whole stars of assault mechs and winning. Though Mech forces will significantly out number the titans so may have the numbers needed.

Terrain is going to be a decisive factor, dense urban or mountainous battlefields will favour the titans. Where they can more feasibly engage more limited fractions of the btech forces, demolish them and have enough time to get shields back up before the next fight.
>>
Even as a huge BT fanboy, 40k appropriately krumps them once we get to warhounds. I think its fair up to baneblades and such.
>>
File: Shadowsword_01.png (1MB, 1003x660px) Image search: [Google]
Shadowsword_01.png
1MB, 1003x660px
>>53105276
Shadowswords are the superheavy mechs won't like. That Volcano cannon is going to be reliably oneshotting even assult mechs considering they can sometimes manage that on unshielded warhounds
>>
>>53105442
How does mech dakka compare with Imperial Dakka otherwise? Is a small las a lascannon?
>>
>>53105564
lascannon is approximately large laser.
Both with reliably take out a heavy tank in 2-3 direct hits.

which is about a close a metric as we can get
>>
File: 1493518605515.jpg (364KB, 642x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1493518605515.jpg
364KB, 642x3000px
>>53104526
Sage and report bait thread

pic related
>>
>>53105643
Dont 40k tanks have ww2 levels of plate though?
>>
>>53105690
if terms of physical thickness is comparable. but its made of fictional scifi materials not RHA.

based on performance of similar weapons (a russes battlecannon is comparable to a modern tanks with comparable munitions) the Russ 200mm of plasteel is at least as tough as an abrams 1800mm RHAe. Its at least because imperial APFDS rounds use an admantium penetrator rather than DU which is likely to be somewhat better.
>>
File: 40kvsBT2.jpg (736KB, 710x1315px) Image search: [Google]
40kvsBT2.jpg
736KB, 710x1315px
Would taking titans off the table make the match more even? How would the knights stack up to mechs?
>>
>>53106103
Warhound titans are of similar size (15m) to most Battletech heavy mechs; Knights are smaller again, and with fewer weapons systems than Battletech mechs, so it comes down to how BS the Ion / Void shields are when ported over.
>>
>>53106169
they are shitty AV12 that can be taken down by medium arms fire.

Any battletech mech can take multiple 40kids titan easy
>>
>>53106103
knights are probably comparable to a heavy battlemech.

they would miss at a light-medium mech, but having an energy sheild will let them punch above their weight.
>>
>>53106190
>they are shitty AV12 that can be taken down by medium arms fire
considering (presumably heavy) machineguns can threaten a mech.

whats essentially an extra layer of regenerating mech armour is going to be a big advantage.
>>
>>53106169
>Warhound titans are of similar size (15m) to most Battletech heavy mechs
They may be of similar height, but at 410 tonnes the Warhound is a significantly bigger machine.

Void shields would be hax in the hands if a decent Princeps, they will go down but can be quickly restored and would let the titan absorb an unlimited amount of firepower in a protracted battle if it can manage its cover well enough.
>>
>>53104953
>I'd still kill for a madcat in 40k.
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-FI/Deredeo-Pattern-Dreadnought?_requestid=3291961
>>
File: Imperial Knight chassis.jpg (445KB, 2000x1084px) Image search: [Google]
Imperial Knight chassis.jpg
445KB, 2000x1084px
>discounting Imperial Knights that off handedly
I'm a vidya-babby when it comes to my knowledge of Battletech, but I quite frankly think the various types of Knight would make the average mechjock shit their pants. Here's my case why:

1. The pilot of an Imperial Knight are wired directly into the Knight. They don't pilot them as an vehicle, they wear them as *armour*. Imperial Knights are explicitly said to be (among) the most graceful machines built by the Imperium of Man, moving with the fluid grace of a man on foot rather than the machine clanking of a Sentinel. They're compared more to Eldar walkers in movement rather than larger Titans.
2. Size and mass. From my knowledge, the smallest type of Imperial Knight chassis, the Questoris is 12m or so tall (14m with carapace weaponry), then you have the Cerastus which is taller then that but not quite Warhound sized and finally you have the Acastus which is the same size as the Warhound Titan. From my knowledge, this puts them around the size of Assault mechs to being bigger than Assault mechs and largely of the same mass or larger.
3. Speed. Imperial Knights serve an equivalent role of light cavalry and skirmishing cavalry when operating as auxillia to the Titan legions. So they're as fast or faster than the Warhound, which is a fast scouting unit. I can't remember any hard numbers on how fast they move, but I would argue that Imperial Knights (with perhaps the Acastus being the lone exception) is faster than any Battlemech of equivalent size and mass.
4. Destroyer weapons and other exotic 40k armaments. Nearly all Imperial Knights are armed with a melee weapon that is enough to threaten battle-titans, which generally dwarf them. And while they generally carry far less dakka than a Battlemech, they're generally equivalent to the larger weapon systems on Battlemechs and that's not counting outrageous 40k weapons like Grav-weapons, Volkite and what not.

Cont'd
>>
File: Imperial Knight.jpg (233KB, 854x1029px) Image search: [Google]
Imperial Knight.jpg
233KB, 854x1029px
>>53109892
Cont'd

5. The Ion Shield. As far as I know, Battletech doesn't have any form of energy shields or forcefields, particularly not equipped on its 'Mechs. Imperial Knights do. Not as powerful as Void Shields, certainly. And to be honest, gauging how effective they are is hard because they don't entirely seem to overload and need to be recharged as void shields after X amount of damage, but is something that the "pilot" of the Imperial Knight moves around with their mind to deflect incoming fire. Either way, it's something that is a massive advantage for an Imperial Knight.

So to conclude, fighting an Imperial Knight for the average Mechwarrior would be like encountering an assault mech that moves as gracefully as man on foot, far quicker than anything that size has any business moving, it shrugs off your fire with an energy shield and returns fire with conventional weapons or something horrifyingly exotic and it's closing to melee range to punch you in the nuts with a chainsaw as big as its torso (or a gigantic mechanical power-spear).

I wouldn't call it an automatic victory for an Imperial Knight, but the sheer "what the fuck" for a Mechwarrior to fight one should be considered if we're going to go into this with any degree of autism.
>>
>>53109989
How bout if you drown the knight in PPC's? Like four of them in Alpha Strike from like 3 Novacats.
>>
>>53111670
Absolutely fucked (like pretty much any Battlemech tanking 3x4 PPC Alpha Strikes I can think of), assuming no Ion Shield shenanigans. But considering how vague the description the Ion Shield is and that the TT rules for the Ion shield is an invulnerable save, where it negates 50/75% (based on the skill of the pilot) of all incoming ranged attacks. It's quite possible they'd be able to be deflected.
>>
>>53109892
>The pilot of an Imperial Knight are wired directly into the Knight.
Wouldn't that be similar to the neurohelmets used by the inneer sphere or the enhanced imaging neural impalnt used by the clans?
>>
>>53112322
No, the "Rite of Becoming" which grants an Imperial Knight the neural-sockets and MIU plugs (and other cybernetics) needed to interface with an Imperial Knight through the Throne Mechanicum is far more invasive and directly interfaces the Knight Scion (pilot) with the Imperial Knight in such a manner so that the Imperial Knight *becomes* the Knights body. Like I said, a Knight Scion does not pilot an Imperial Knight, they "wear" it like armour. AFAIK the neurohelmet functions as a way to allow smoother operation of the control surfaces and making the mech more balanced because it uses part of the pilots brain to help work it out, not make the mech a literal extension of the pilots body.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.