[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would Narnia make a good campaign setting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

Would Narnia make a good campaign setting?
>>
Sure, why not.
>>
>>53103723
Probably not.
Narnia is a setting which values narrative and symbolism over internal coherence. This is fine for a book but is really hard to convert into a campaign setting.
It would also depend on which book you were trying to capture in your conversion. Some would probably work better than others.
>>
File: narnia.jpg (644KB, 809x601px) Image search: [Google]
narnia.jpg
644KB, 809x601px
>>53104643
Yeah but Tolkien's stuff values narrative and symbolism over fantasy wankery, yet you can still have fantasy wankery in Tolkien's setting if you so chose and it could still be thematically appropriate.

For example the PC's could play a batch of new children to enter a reborn Narnia and they could still make all their own decisions without Lewis's Christian morality play such a commanding role. It could merely be used as a plot device if the children go down a darker path, and Aslan could actually turn against them or something.

I think Narnia would be a very fun setting with all the talking animals, evil false gods, random mythological creatures and whatnot.
>>
>>53103723
Eh...maybe? Truth be told I never cared for Narnia.

Calormen, now. That's where it's at. A Horse and his Boy is objectively the best Narnia book, after all, since it's the only one that takes place 100% in-universe and doesn't involve those stupid Earth kids except in a single small cameo appearance of two of them, and even then those stupid Earth kids appear in their capacity as a King and Queen of Narnia, not as Earth kids.

Otherwise it's a straight-up desert adventure with three escaped slaves (admittedly two of them are the horses) and a badass warrior princess before it was cool OR ruined by Tumblr (well, sort of...Aravis was certainly more of a warrior that Shasta, anyway) and deserts and everything.

Damnit I want A Horse and His Boy made into a movie but it never will because those stupid Earth kids aren't in it.

The Silver Chair is the worst Narnia. I've read it twice and yet can't for the life of me tell you what happened in it.
>>
>>53106259
And here is the only other halfway decent fanart of Aravis in existence.

Every time someone (by which I mean movies or whatever) wants to do stuff with Narnia it's always got to be the BIG JESUS/CHRISTIAN ALLEGORY and all be focused on Aslan and those stupid Earth kids, it can't ever just be a straight up desert adventure.

Well, that's not true, Voyage of the Dawn Treader is much more of a straight-up adventure too, I guess. If not for those stupid Earth kids.

Damnit I want A Hose and His Boy movie! I want to see someone dump $150 million into the movie's budget and turn out an awesome desert adventure/escape movie with Aravis kicking ass and Shasta learning how to kick ass.
>>
>>53103723
I doubt it, it's really boring and lacks "meat" for the players to explore. Doesn't help that it's Christfag wankery.
>>
>>53103723
I think Narnia's primary value was for storytelling, it's not so good as a campaign setting.
>long time leaps between books
>little to no detail between them
>only three primary areas to adventure in
>not much detail on mundane life or what the average person in Narnia could be like, not counting Calormen
>pretty much a kitchen sink fantasy, no specific or original races for potential PCs
If you want to capture a sort of 'kids traveling and having adventure' feel I might suggest Golden Sky Stories, from what I've heard.
>>
>>53103723
>setting with centaurs
>and unicorns
>and talking horses

Literally brony magical realm waiting to happen
>>
>>53106259
>Silver Chair worst

Puddlegofuckyourself
>>
>>53105924
>>53106259
>>53106307
>>53106666
butthurt atheist horsefucker pls go
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.