[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Online D&D: tabletop simulator

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: hqdefault.jpg (33KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
33KB, 480x360px
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jtsPXM-OzpE

Anybody tried this?

It seems pretty neat.

I'm imagining doing 3d dungeons with it.

And saving said combat maps and such in advance.

How is it?

How does it compare to the other options?
>>
>>53103288
It's alright. It's a lot more work to get set up.
>>
>>53103297
Most of the alternatives don't let you do multi-height combat though, right? Just flat 2d images?
>>
I was skeptical about Tabletop Simulator when it first came out, but it is my second most played game on Steam now.

What the guy is doing in that video only scratches the surface of what you can do for rpgs TTS. There are mods you can use to easily set up, save, and recall maps that include 3d models and stuff without loading a whole new table.
There are now interactive character sheets so you don't necessarily need to use the tablet if you're playing D&D.

>>53103469
If you mean hills, TTS works fine. If you mean two-story buildings with models on both floors, it's a pain in the ass.
>>
>>53103506
So, handle the insides of multilevel buildings elsewhere, horizontally?

>>53103506
How does it compare to FG or Roll20?
>>
>>53103506
Can you measure distances in TTS, or do you have to play with a grid for that?

I'm thinking about gridless play and players being able to move '30ft'.
>>
>>53103567
Yeah, I'd stick with doing them horizontally.

I haven't used FG, and I still do most of my games on Roll20. To me, the difference between TTS and Roll20 is not that significant if all you're playing is D&D. It has the potential to be more visually impressive if you can find or make all the models you want. It's also better for games that benefit from being able to move dice around physically like Legends of the Wulin.

>>53103618
You can measure distances. I don't think you can make it display '30ft'. But it will tell you a number. I think it's supposed to be inches.
>>
>>53103674
I've been wanting to add more multilevel combat into D&D. Hills, rooftops, bridges, etc.

I've also got 0 exp with VTT setups, all my tabletop has been in meatspace with people I know in real life, but I recently moved across the country.
>>
>>53103774
It would be pretty cool to do bridges and stuff, but that will take a long time to set up. It can also be frustrating if you can't find the models you want and don't want to make your own.

For some idea of what's possible now, here is a
video of a mod that someone set up for D&D that includes a bunch of gm aids and fancy stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQBkvl_fDZs

I love Tabletop Simulator, but Roll20 is the more convenient alternative. It's free and runs in your browser so you don't have to convince your friends to buy or install anything.
>>
>>53103897
That looked pretty neat.

But is there anything he's doing that wouldn't work better in roll 20?

He doesn't have any hills or walls or bridges, or what have you.
>>
>>53104157
No, there's really nothing in there that you couldn't do in Roll20 outside of visual effects that I don't think people would use much.
You could have 3d terrain and save it using the little map-chip things.

But yeah, roll20 is just as good unless you're playing certain games or you really like setting up terrain.
>>
>>53105617
How does one handle video and voice in tabletop simulator?

If I wanted to record the game, possibly from a few different angles, is that doable? Perhaps with a couple different idle laptops running FRAPS, Plus the GM laptop?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
>>53105617
The main thing I'm thinking it would be good to use TTS for is stuff like pic related, that just doesn't work with a 2d map.
>>
>>53104157
You can't use Roll20 in VR?

That's about it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.