[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

simmering with rage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1486531492147.jpg (60KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1486531492147.jpg
60KB, 800x800px
Been really pissed about a recent event with a game i DMed, figured maybe talking to you guys about it might help.

>got back in contact with some old tabletop gaming buddies i lost touch with after our local game closed.
>I had just finished a homebrew game
>it was basically GW tabletop meets super low fantasy D&D, with some totalwar and mount and blade sprinkled in
>besides the few magic light classes if it wasn’t in historical combat the it doesn’t exist
>asked if they wanted to play, and set a date
>called a few old rpg buddies to fill out the group
>2 hours before meet up my friend lets call him Z says he’s bring a friend along
>never said anything about this before, never asked, which was unlike him and it kind annoyed me
>tell him to inform his friend about the type of game he/she is joining and how this won’t be D&D levels of fantasy
>everyone shows up and his “friend” turns out to be his bitch of a fiance/gf/wife
>she’s a fat bitch whose loud af, has no friend and ruined most of Z’s friendships
>i don’t want her there but i didn’t want to make a scene or cause conflict
>figured i’d give her a chance since it had been about a year since we last met
>she sits on her phone while everyone else comes up with the warband’s doctrine and direction
>they start picking classes and building their characters
>she has a sort of unamused face as she looks over the classes.
>since we’re building everyone’s characters together i ask if she needs help
>she asks “where is the beastmaster class”
Continued
>>
>>53100852
>”i didn’t really think of adding anything like that, i guess you could train a bird of prey or maybe a dog. But the birds couldn’t do much in combat and the dogs would likely die a lot”
>”how about a giant wolf i could ride and tame?”
>”umm, this game is based in our history so if it doesn’t exist in our world then it won’t in the game”
>she seemed mad but kept looking
>we moved on since everyone else was just sitting and waiting
>she keeps asking for classes that don’t exist like vamps, lycans, changelings, druids
>we end the night without her having picked a class
> i offer to help during the week and before our next session
>i don’t hear anything from them the whole week and they don’t reply to my messages save for the attendance confirmation
>they show up and i ask what she’s built
>she says a bard which isn’t a class, she has a dagger and a lute and built off of a skill heavy combat light class
>ask her what her plans are for this character
>she says she’ll play her lute to aid the group
>musicians are a thing but only help a small amount and while the group is in formation (which wouldn’t happen for a while)
>basically a job for an NPC hire
>try talking her out of it but she dismisses everything i say
>at this point i just don’t care
>we get to the first fight and i ask her what she wants to do
>”i’ll attack that guy up there”
>”with what?”
>”the music from my lute”
>”how will that hurt him?”
>”as a bard my lute is magical and can cast damaging spells”
>nowhere have i said or given anything to say this is possible
>i tell her that it won’t work
>she gets super mad and asks why we’re playing a bad version of D&D
>i’m pissed now
Continued
>>
>>53100873
>we argue for a bit, she keeps repeating that D&D has this and that, all magic related
>”if you want to play D&D go play D&D we’re playing this”
>everyone but them is on my side
>Z chimes in “dude why don’t we just try a few sessions and see which is better”
>i say no
>he fucken pulls out a D&D 4E playerbook from his bag
>she keeps saying “guys it’s great, it’s like world of warcraft”
>no one has any interest in this
>then she pulls out a 4E character sheet of her bard tell everyone how great it is
>call them out for this terrible set up and ask them to leave
>they keep pushing until one of my friends rages out on them
>get a text from some mutual friends telling me that he’s ranting about me on FB
>asks yesterday to come back

I’m tempted to let just him back in since he actually was a great player up until then, but i feel like she's going to do something stupid.

End
>>
Nah nigga, group cohesiveness over individual players every time. Even if she doesn't come back, he has to walk into a group that thinks he's been a cunt, and he'll probably react poorly to that one way or another.
>>
>>53100892
Perfect world: You convince Z's GF to make something that fits your campaign instead of her ideal, and everything goes swimmingly/

Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen. From what you've said, your game already suffered a major impact. I honestly wouldn't risk it. I've seen games crumble from a lot less, if you let them back, and Z's GF pulls more stupid shit, it might kill the interest the rest of the group has.
From what insight I have on the type of player that wants to be a Bard or whatever, and won't be satisfied until they play a bard according to their definition of what a bard is, they don't get better. The only way to peacefully coexist with Z's GF is to play DnD. You might be able to coax her into something else if you started with DnD, but 1, you'd have to play DnD instead of your game, and 2, there's no guarantee she would ever open up, only a possibility.

If you invite Z back, but ban his gf, he won't show up more than once or twice, so don't bother.

I vote nay, but you know Z better.
>>
>>53101033
Yeah the more i think about it the more i just cut my ties.
Thank you for the read
>>
>>53100852

Heads they win, tails you lose.

You may also find yourself with more problems if they are allowed back to join in. Your other players who were happy with the game may not be happy that you brought someone who caused problems back to the table. You could ask your other players if they are okay with it first, but be prepared for an answers you may not like.

If it were me, I would just remove them both and not look back, simply because I have had a similar situation before.
>>
>>53101652
i sent out some PMs, most don't care as long as she isn't there and he doesn't do anything stupid again
>>
>>53100852
That sounds awesome as fuck, I'm jealous you aren't my DM
>>
>>53101746
Still very much a WIP,i'll post it on here when it's done.
Current name is Warband Tactics, but it's not set in stone
>>
Kick them out or at least just fatty cakes.
>>
>>53104605
for sure she's not coming back, ever
>>
>>53100892
>shows up to a game
>tries to manipulate the GM into running a totally different game
>his gal made a character using the other game and he brought rulebooks with him, meaning this was premeditated
Nope. Drop that like a hot rock. That shit is not cool, it betrays a total lack of respect not only for the GM but for the other players as well.

Chill friend thing to do would be to float the idea to the group and ask if anyone else was interested. Mega chill thing would be volunteer to run it himself, but it's not socially unacceptable to ask somebody else to GM it. Trying to trick the rest of the group into changing systems mid-session and crashing the campaign with no survivors? Nuh-uh.
>>
>>53104689
This

Also post a long rambling shit talk of 4E for good measure
>>
>>53104689
This
>>
>>53104689
i take it you mean interested in 4E?
Some of them asked what it was and we even went into it a bit.
They didn't like the combat card mechanics.
>>
Just give them both the boot. It sucks that you are losing a good player, but there's only two ways it's going to play out

1. He's going to drag his landwhale who will bitch and moan the entire game even if she actually tries to play because it's not the game she WANTS to play and it's going to ruin group morale

2. He's going to leave his landwhale at home and probably bail after 1 or 2 sessions due to coming home to a bitchy landwhale that he's ignoring. He'd probably end up having a shitty attitude while he's there anyway because he knows that fatty is back home stewing in her rage and waiting to let him have it when he gets home.

On the plus side, everyone else sided with you and it sounds like they dig your homebrew, so that's good. Best not to poison the well with toxic players
>>
It seems like you may have already come to a consensus, but I'm gonna echo what everyone else has already said. What do you think will happen if you let them back in? You'll probably end up squabbling with the hambeast every step of the way while she passive aggressively, or outright aggressively, ruins your campaign with her sad and depressing shenanigans.

Remember that,as a DM, you're responsible for everyone else at the table getting some enjoyment out of this. You've got X amount of other players who were interested enough in your game to set time aside to play, show up on time and create and play within the system you set forth. Why should they have their time wasted and their fun ruined because someone else is either incapable or unwilling to do those things? Sometimes that means giving a player or players the boot. It sucks and its not fun, but oh well.

As for Z, that shit with the handbook was massively inappropriate and I'd put his ass in time out. You don't have to cut him out of your life entirely, but it's gonna be a while before he gets another chance.

Its tempting to give them another chance, and you may do so sometime down the road, but letting them in again immediately just won't be worth it.
>>
File: 1424151454804.gif (474KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
1424151454804.gif
474KB, 450x253px
A good consensus seems to already have been reached - drop Z and his gf, feel pity for the poor man from a distance.

But I don't understand what would prompt someone who was clearly informed the game would not be D&D to try and turn it into a D&D game.

It's like going into a Traveller game, making a Ministorum Priest, and trying to convince everyone to try out Dark Heresy. Or just going to a game that's clearly supposed to be gritty, dark, and confined to one city, and trying to convince everyone to play a high-levelled magical fantasy adventure. Who were you planning to sell on this? The people who didn't come to the game?
>>
>>53101033
>If you invite Z back, but ban his gf, he won't show up more than once or twice, so don't bother.
>I vote nay, but you know Z better.
I agree with this.
There is a chance that Z will be better without her and that she will just disregard you instead of working on Z to worsen his life for not hating you.
That seems unlikely, but I don't know them, thankfully.

>>53101716
>i sent out some PMs, most don't care as long as she isn't there and he doesn't do anything stupid again
The "most" here seems to be the real line in the sand from my perspective.
So far, it seems you did nothing really wrong, even allowing for storyteller bias.
If you give a problem player a second chance and they ruin another session, then you're partially to blame for letting him come back.
Those excluded from the "most" that are okay with him coming back might consider you giving him a second chance dick move even before Z does anything else.
Is it worth pissing off a good player to give a bad player a second chance?
I might do it, but it would depend on the situation and how compelling the bad player was.

It would take an earnest apology from him for me to take him back, which seems unlikely from the FB rants.
It's more likely that he has revenge or some measure of "convincing you" planned.
I don't know him though.

I might give Z another chance as a player if you invited him back.
I would get up and leave if you let the gf back.

>>53104679
>for sure she's not coming back, ever
Yeah.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.