[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DnD character Flaws

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

I'm new to DnD and I just finished my character. He is a lawful good paladin who has oath vengeance but I dont know if my flaw is a flaw. My flaw is to redeem those who have gone astray from the light and turned to a life of crime and evil. However this means my character will not kill unless it is extremely necessary. He can fight but never lets anyone kill the enemy if he believes he can redeem them.
>>
>>53095213
Its kind of a meta-flaw. In-game its actually not that hard to just knock out all the bad guys and try to chat them up later, but out of character this'll annoy the shit out of everyone around the table because it'll slow the game to a crawl.
>>
>>53095332
what would be a good replacement since my character's backstory was riddled with abusiveness and fear from his adopted parent at an early age. He also murder his adoptive father at the age of 8 and wandered around until the age of 10 where he became part of the Knights of Heironous
>>
File: 6uyjfghn.jpg (16KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
6uyjfghn.jpg
16KB, 640x960px
>>53095480
Okay, now I know this is bait. Sage and move on.
>>
>>53095504
I'm actually very new so I would like some help then if my backstory is to ridiculous
>>
>>53095480
That backstory doesn't really gel with what we know about modern-day him. Maybe consider a redesign.
>>
>>53095554
So my character obviously tires to suppress alot of his memories about the abuse and the murder. After being introduce to the church he has become a devote servant of his god. He follows the tenets of heironous. So for the 1st part I would say he tries to escape from the past that haunts him. And Second part a Blind worshiper of heironous.
>>
>>53095480
Ditch the melodramatic background, it makes you seem like an edgelord looking for a reason to be an orphan so the GM can't use your family against you.
Break a bad habit before it begins: Be from a well adjusted merchant family that took up the Calling, write letters home to your mom, send some extra cash, too.
As a flaw, a moderate amount of pride. Look at what you, you are one of the Chosen Few, deigned by the Gods to be the arbiter of Justice in the Realms. Act like it, but tone it down as you gain worldliness.
>>
>>53095655
tries*
whoops typo :L
>>
>>53095661
Okay that actually sounds perfect! Thank you very much. Didnt realize that had a huge edge lord feel too it and now I can see why people were calling it bait.
>>
>>53095686
There is a time and place for the woe is me type, but it doesn't mesh with paladins well.
Be a good guy. Flawed, but ultimately driven to make the world better for the kind of people like the one you described who lost it all.
Believe in yourself.
>>
>>53095686

Some "edge" in a background can work as an explanation for current behavior as long as it can lead to character development, but piling on too much is what makes it not good. For example, the abusive upbringing can lead a person to lack confidence to stand up to certain types of people. This is okay if you're a rogue, who expected to run away from problems, but a paladin has to stand strong. A person with a rough background may have a hard time with that, and he fails to do it from time to time and needs to grow as he realizes that he truly has the power to fight back without becoming the people who abused him. Maybe his father is still alive and he lives in terror of the day they meet again.

But abuse + killing at a young age + wandering street urchin..
That's a lot.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.