[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /tg/ think of the Halo setting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 47

File: eqG1LHO.jpg (189KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
eqG1LHO.jpg
189KB, 1680x1050px
What does /tg/ think of the Halo setting?
>>
>>53095184
You will have some people that will appreciate it on it's strengths, some who will bitch about the expanded universe, a fair few who will arrive to bitch and/or troll, and a couple of hurpdurps who gargle a million cocks.
>>
>>53095184
It's amazing how OP the Forerunners were. They literally btfo anything in 40k.
>>
>>53095218
They were at minimum super strong by game 1. The logs there say the surprisingly small time it took to build the Halo rings & Guilty Spark actually told Chief his armor isn't even what civilians would wear in his situation.
>>
>>53095184
343i needs to die.
>>
>>53095272
I remember in the novel about CE, Guilty Spark recommended Chief upgrade from his Mark 2 harness to at least a Mark 9 if he expected to face the Flood.
>>
It is pretty cool and can run surprisingly deep, I wish there was a /tg/ game set on it.

>>53095280
at yes, here is the bitching and moaning.
>>
>>53095350
There is a tabletop game called Halo: Fleet Battles.
>>
>>53095350
Someone was doing a homebrew of it based on 40k rpgs, but they took the dev work offsite because, surprise, /tg/ is a bunch of fucknuggets.
>>53095396
I heard of that, they had the Long Night of Solace as a scale model.
It was 3 feet long when Assault Carriers are like 3 inches.
>>
>>53095303
Mark Twelve, actually. This was just after he found his predecessor as Spark's reclaimer, a regular-ass marine who made it two-thirds of the way through the library and had been torn so completely to shreds that even the flood couldnt make use of his corpse.
>>
>>53095184
It was a huge part of my childhood, so I love it. Playing an ODST game would be dope.

There was a shift in direction that is most easily blamed on 343i that I hate, but I've never quite been able to decipher if that was just the nostalgiafag in me, or if it actually got worse. I think the biggest issue is that it felt like they retconned a bunch of stuff. Mostly because there was a good deal of discontinuity between the books and the games.

>>53095303
He says that in the game too. It's just most players are too busy drowning in Flood to notice.
>>
>>53095459
I remember that. Even Chief was astounded to see a regular guy made it so far when he was so hardpressed.
>>53095484
>He says that in the game too. It's just most players are too busy drowning in Flood to notice.
That rocket launcher fucker in the tunnel was way more important than whatever light bulb had to say.
As for the shift, I, opinion incoming, do not think it was "worse", but that there is a disconnect in tone rather than a gradual shift like you saw in ODST and Reach.
>>
>>53095184
its fun
>>
>>53095396
>>53095350
There's also a 15mm (iirc) mass battle game
>>
>>53095530
Man that guy would've made one hell ood a Spartan.
>>
>>53095656
>>53095396
How popular are those, I'm really interested in the 15mm one specially but honestly I will go with whichever has the bigger and most active player base

>>53095409
I didn't know that, where can I find it, I play WH40k so this sounds right up my alley
>>
>>53095184

I liked the way things were going in Halo 4 but then it went to Destiny-tier full-retard in Halo 5
>>
>>53095955
>liking Diadect
>liking Prometheans

I honestly dont get it, explain yourself
>>
>>53095983
The Didact is a cool villain and the Promethean are pretty cool concept for enemies, what's so hard to understand?
>>
>>53095983
>Prometheans

Liked their aesthetics, couldn't give a rats arse about their lore

Also liked the new Storm covenant whatnot
>>
>>53095184
>Long Night of Solace, Shadow of Intent, Truth and Reconciliation
>Forward unto Dawn, Spirit of Fire, Pillar of Autumn

It has the best named ships ever, of all time
>>
>>53095831
>I didn't know that, where can I find it, I play WH40k so this sounds right up my alley
Guys name was... Vort?
>>53095983
Didact could have been handled better. Prometheans weren't that bad a foe, I'd love to see an all out slugfest between everyone and the Flood.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (341KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
341KB, 1920x1080px
>>53096037
>>53096047
Diadact and Prometheans are just so out of place with the rest of Halo's antagonists, honestly I guess its just more of a issue with 343's designs than with the them as actual villians

that and actually giving the forerunners an actual physical presence just came off as lame and a letdown

>>53096047
>The forsaken

my nigga I loved seeing a Brutilised version of covenant tech
>>
>>53096060
>Dawn Under Heaven, Say My Name, Of Uncommon Courage

It really does
>>
>>53095350
I heard about a fan-made RPG a while back. The book is too big to upload, but here's the subreddit with a download link
https://www.reddit.com/r/HaloMythic/comments/3crdyv/what_is_halo_mythic/

Also, here's the character sheet. Looks obnoxiously complicated at first glance.
>>
>>53096208
>Diadact and Prometheans are just so out of place with the rest of Halo's antagonists, honestly I guess its just more of a issue with 343's designs than with the them as actual villians
They should be, they are an entirely different paradigm.
>>
>>53096208
Halo Wars 2 is like a love letter to me. I love covie race lore and they're just going wild with it. The latest Hunter commander is just :ok_sign:
>>
>>53096340
>Halo Wars 2
WHAT. THE. FUCK.
WHEN WAS THIS ANNOUNCED?
FUCK YOU COMCAST YOU NET THROTTLING COCK SUCKERS
>>
>>53096208
>actually giving the forerunners an actual physical presence just came off as lame and a letdown
This was my biggest gripe. It dismantled all of the all of the mystery and myth and grandeur to them that the first 3 games had spent so much effort building up.
>>
>>53096393
Where the fuck have you been son?
>>
>>53096208
I'm really in love with the Banished, and the Brutes in general, but especially the Banished, the whole Brute aesthetic and Brutes as space pirates and Atriox with his Generals, tho honestly I feel that they should had swapped Colony in for Decimus since he is just plain cooler.
>>
>>53096464
I don't follow video games closely anymore.
And I genuinely never expected Halo Wars to get a sequel.
>>
>>53096393
Oh you are in for a dozy, the story is pretty serviceable but I recommend you to get the season pass since it came with 6 leaders and they already upped to 7 plus two DLC campaigns.
>>
>>53096506
They announced it awhile ago and it came out in February. Single Player is kind of underwhelming and stands mostly to introduce the Banished as a faction and to bring the Spirit of Fire back into play.

The multiplayer keeps getting updated with new stuff tho, and it's not just reskins or new leaders with a fancy new power. They're throwing in new units with the leaders. There's a new hunter leader who can do all sorts of shit and gets a bunch of new units.
>>
>>53096569
>>53096547
>Hunter Leader
Yes
>>
>>53096659
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7n27qu-Qhs
>>
>>53096682
My worms will conquer the stars!

Thanks anons, off to do errands but today is a good day
>>
I liked it until Halo 3, when there was still an air of mystery and grandeur to Forerunner stuff. I like the idea of two factions fighting over the ruins of something impossibly ancient and powerful, one side for religion, one side because it's too dangerous, and the frightful truth of what all these bizarre cosmic ruins are. I liked the personal and inner turmoils of the Covenant, the elites growing dissatisfaction and their civil war that was just politics, it wasn't tied into some grander Forereunner stuff like I feel everything has to be now, or I guess it feels that way. I think by Halo 3 is started to become too heavily mythologized for my liking and lost some of that grandeur, Arks and unfinished installations and stuff everywhere. Halo 1 still holds the most potential in my mind, everything's so strange and vast and mysterious in it.
>>
I've only read this - http://imgur.com/gallery/bI6Ih. Pretty awesome lore imo. And now I don't have to bother with playing the games and reading the books, so that's good.
>>
>>53096268
I've been running this for a little while now. It's super crunchy, like fan-made games tend to be, with complicated systems like charts for interpreting Covenant honour rankings, a full page of grapple manoeuvres and a blood stat that needs to be tracked. As a big lore fan I've had a lot of fun though. It has rules for almost everything, even the needler walker that was cut from Halo Wars. Some of my players have next to no experience with the Halo and it's been a delight to demonstrate the setting to them in a way that isn't a first-person shooter.
>>
>>53095184
It was really good pre-343, back when it was Humanity holding on to survival by sheer tenacity and little else.
>>
>>53097268
They all died, right?
>>
File: LiveActionODST.jpg (49KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
LiveActionODST.jpg
49KB, 1280x720px
The sci-fi setting that I grew up with, along with Star Wars, Firefly, Farscape, and Stargate SG-1. In my opinion Bungie was the pinacle of badass sci-fi armor design.

Bungie also did the best live action trailers. Still get chills from the ODST trailer.
343i doesn't deserve most of the shit they get, but they're definitely lacking in the design department imho.

I kind of wish Halo had 28mm miniatures so I could do an ODST themed army for 40k.
>>
I swear Atriox and the Brutes would fit right-in in WH40K

https://youtu.be/Adh46ky_-WI
>>
>>53096060
>>53096260
You guys skipped over Two For Flinching
>>
>>53097374
They learnt quickly to treat the game like a military operation and not a dungeon crawl. For the first mission I had the players investigate a research base in the wake of a Covenant attack, so they got a good understanding of the setting's lethality before any combat happened. All of the players are Spartans and most of them chose to take Semi-Powered Infiltration armour instead of MJOLNIR.
>>
>>53097519
>they all chose SPI armor instead of MJOLNIR
So they're a bunch of Spartan-IIIs who are all going to die by campaign's end. Cool.
>>
>>53096065
Vorked, short for vorked grimlock. The last time I saw him on here has to be something like a year ago now. I miss those threads.
>>
>>53097497
I personally like Dark was the Night, The Mantle's Approach, Defender of Faith and Breath of Annihilation
>>
>>53097461
There's Elysian Drop Troopers from Forgeworld or China and you can get not!ODST heads from various places.
>>
>>53097570
SPI was better for being sneeki-breeki and such.

The missions that tended to kill the S-IIIs were the ones where their sneeki-breekiness was compromised.
>>
>>53095184
eh, halos a cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything
>>
>>53097490
Does he still use elites?
>>
>>53097690
Yes at least in some fashion
>>
>>53097461
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyOAdrxlPVs

Though you have to wonder why the didn't just get picked up by the Pelican once they got the laser...
>>
>>53097586
That's actually what I was planning to do, but highly detailed official models would have been nice.
>>
>>53097618
>>53097570
They've been playing sneaky to the max. I think they all jumped at an opportunity to play a Halo game as non-FPS as possible.
>>
File: 1280px-HW2_Blitz_Ghost.png (1MB, 1280x922px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-HW2_Blitz_Ghost.png
1MB, 1280x922px
>>53097690
Yeah but mostly as assassins, and because one of his Generals is an elite that he somehow convinced to join to his cause during the Great Schism after letting himself be captured in order to get his sweet sweet Assault Carrier.

And yes, pic related has energy shield because unlike the prophets Atriox has no problem improving and slapping useful tech everywhere
>>
>>53097764
The like the ones without too much dialogue.
https://youtu.be/B6A0s6d7F2k
>>
>>53097461
I will agree with this but only with the caveat that they share "Best Armor Aesthetics" with the Necromongers who also had some very nice designs.
>>
>>53095184
I like it. Sure there wa a change between the two studio, one wa moe down to earth sci-fi, kinda gritty, and the other is more full blown sci-fi CHOSEN ONE typical story, but I think the biggest problem 343 is facing is nostalgia. 4 was shit, no qualms about that, but damn if they didn't start with a terrible handicap, coming after a beloved Bungie (nostalgia glasses didn't help).

Also, fuck you, Noble 6 is still alive. I have this whole story in my head where he survives the glassing, goes to cryo sleep, and is found much later, after the war, and has to adapt to the fact that Humanity is actually fighting alongside Covenants now.
Reach is still a traumatic experience for him and he's basically a wild pawn at best and can't be used with Covenant Forces otherwise he goes berserk.
He still met June back on the Infinity and leads a new Noble team, all of them spartan 4's that don't know that Noble 6 doesn't feel like he deserves to command after the defeat he suffered.
Anyhoo, just my little fanfiction about a PTSD'd Spartan.

>>53097461
Reach and ODST definitely had some of the most chills inducing trailers for me. Just thinking about them and the lusic send shivers down my spine because it's so damn good.

Also, did Bungie have something with Hungary? Like members of the studio or whatever?
I mean, these are Hungarians on the ODST trailers (spec ops actually, actuam soldiers) and Jorge and by extension all the natives of Reach spoke Hungarian.
Is Hungary a super power in the Halo setting?
>>
>>53096208
>>53096340
I know it's not going to happen, but I hope Halo Wars 2 is a sign that they may be taking the Halo franchise back to its roots and not just something done specifically for that game.

It seems like for everything besides the Master Chief's armor (which I actually think looks better than it did during Bungie's games), the design aesthetic has just been getting worse and worse.
>>
File: Ghosts+Of+Onyx.jpg (31KB, 311x500px) Image search: [Google]
Ghosts+Of+Onyx.jpg
31KB, 311x500px
>>53097618
Which was kinda all of them. The prologue of the book about the Spartan III program was about a hot-drop mission that ended in about 10 minutes with a nuke going off, if I recall correctly.
They gave the IIIs SPI because it was cheaper.
>>
>>53096772
>>53096682
>>53096659
>>53096569

I'm a little confused. Didn't the hunters all side with the elites during the civil war?
>>
>>53098061
At least they acknowledge that and made it possible to use Reach Armors or helmets at the very least.
The MP is better than 4, some say it's the best of the franchise, been too long since I played to argue on that however.
In any case, next one should be the last one. They'll probably blow their lpad on that one and go back to their roots with DLCs and whatnot, porting old armors in game.
>>
>>53098064
It wasn't a bad design philosophy, you don't need a shield if they can't see you. Too bad every mission they sent them on was a suicide mission.
>>
File: 5681bd111d7e7.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
5681bd111d7e7.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
>>53095184
Sorry, I was 19 when the first one came out, so I'm not familiar with it in the slightest.
>>
>>53097490

Is it wrong that I liked Punished Atriox and the Diamond Brutes more than the humans?
>>
>>53097579
>they never remember The Born Loser
>>53097573
He definitely had a thread up a few months ago.
>>
>>53098096
Reqch had the best MP. Both in regard to features and balance. Pre-343 Reach specifically. Highest skill ceiling of the framchise.

The competitive in 5 is too floaty, the additional movement abilities make for a solid arena shooter, but they should have just gobbled the cocks they meeded to and given double jump. The core movement and most of the map designs are just really bad. And don't get me started on visual and sound design.
>>
>>53098089
No, they went with whoever offered them the best deal, or bullied them the hardest.
Hunters were bargaining chips the Lekgolo used to keep the Covenant from bothering them, they literally had no real worth.
>>
File: 1446005911818.jpg (58KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
1446005911818.jpg
58KB, 680x510px
>>53097772
That's awesome of them.
Are you planning to eventually stick them in an Enemy-Mine situation against the Flood?
>>
>>53098132
Fantastic post
>>
>>53098064
Little bit of both. I always thought it was lame that Kurt didn't put on his Mark V armor. Like come on dude.
>>
>>53095184

There should be a squad-based strategy videogame, where the player controls a group of normal marines as they fight the vastly superior covenant/flood in urban and rural environments.
>>
>>53098659
Welcome to the ODST game. Mostly, anyway.
>>
>>53095184
It's interesting. I wish there was a good campaign setting encyclopedia I could use for it.
>>
>>53096060
>>53096260
>>53097497
>>53097579
>>53098224
In Amber Clad was one of the best.
>>
>>53096060
Feels like whoever was naming shit in their navy had the Big Book of Poetry and a fat sack of crack and just went at it. Forget the Prophets figuring out the truth about humanity and engineering the whole war to annihilate them out of jealousy, if I'd met a species with ships named that I'd probably decide to waste them on principals alone.
>>
Which halo books are worth the read? I read up through Contact Harvest a while back, and I've always meant to get back to The Cole Protocol, but now there's a bunch more.
>>
>>53095184
Went to shit after the trilogy
>>
File: 26.56 KB of Feel.png (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
26.56 KB of Feel.png
27KB, 400x400px
Does anyone else feel like the Halo setting represents the best sort of future Humanity could enjoy?

I mean, let's look past the whole genocide thing and the plots of 343, we're talking about an interplanetary Human "empire" that still feels relatable. People shoot guns, people go out to nightclubs, people even drive cars and enjoy real-world cultures or live in houses that look like houses.

It's a universe someone from the present could be transported to and, beyond some mild culture shock, adapt almost right away.
>>
>>53099663
>we're talking about an interplanetary Human "empire" that still feels relatable. People shoot guns, people go out to nightclubs, people even drive cars and enjoy real-world cultures or live in houses that look like houses.
Doesn't sound too different from Mass Effect or The Expanse
>>
>>53099663
>>53099685
>The Expanse
Minus the interplanetary part there at least for the first few books
>>
>>53095184

You know, early Halo really is the best example of the Humanity Fuck Yeah trope. Humanity is militarized, it's fighting, surviving, and even winning an enormous war with an impossibly superior foe, the main characters are idealized paragons of human martial prowess, and none of it feels forced.
>>
>>53099685
Mass Effect feels like everything was designed by Apple, shooting weird Eezo guns and living in luxury shipping containers.

Halo's got grit.
>>
>>53099663
If we get stuck in a future where we both have access to practical FTL, super duper up the pooper AIs, and still use gas guzzling jeeps and NATO standard ammunition we deserve extinction.
>>
File: 1374931724186.jpg (19KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1374931724186.jpg
19KB, 413x395px
>>53099732
>and still use gas guzzling jeeps and NATO standard ammunition we deserve extinction.

Are you suggesting there's something better than the almighty 5.56x45mm, friend?

The jeeps are probably very efficient! What's wrong with a robust and powerful combustion engine when hydrocarbons are extremely plentiful?
>>
>>53099709
I never got the sense that humanity was winning, just staving off the inevitable as more and more colonies were discovered and eventually fell.

Don't get me wrong, humanity could still win but it was never any more than pyrrhic. Even when they retake territory it's so fucked up up from the fighting is it even worth still trying to hold against the superior Covenant reinforcements that are bound to arrive? Besides, if the Covenant are denied the territory they have zero issues just glassing the place.
>>
>>53098162
They have more personality, that's natural, I honesty think they deserve to be a main villain faction for the franchise
>>
>>53099770

That's what I meant, just, that humanity could somehow manage to hold on to their territory so tightly against such a foe, and even push back on occasion, is HFY as fuck.
>>
>>53099752
At least magnetically accelerate that crap. Oh wait, they're rail tech is still hugely experimental. I mean it's not like it's the 26th century or anything...oh wait.

Clearly their jeeps are very efficient and rugged given the rate they flip over if you so much as drive over a pebble and just flick it with your finger to flip it again.
>>
>>53097869
>getting caught was part of his plan
>>
>>53099817
>Oh wait, they're rail tech is still hugely experimental. I mean it's not like it's the 26th century or anything...oh wait.

I don't see the century has anything to do with it, and if you recall the USNC extensively uses rail tech in their ships and stations, most notably with the MAC and Super MAC. It's quite obvious the issue is one of miniaturization and portability which sometimes, as we know in our own history, hits very real and very hard walls.

>Clearly their jeeps are very efficient and rugged given the rate they flip over if you so much as drive over a pebble

That's gameplay and early console physics, don't bully!
>>
>>53095184
Halo 1-3 had good story, and some of the expanded universe was pretty great when it wasn't a Halsey circle-jerk. It should have ended at 3, maybe a resolution piece somewhere that tied up some loose ends.
343 hasn't been literally cancer, but the story has degraded significantly since they took over.
>>
>>53099732
>Gas guzzling jeeps
>implying warhogs run on fossil fuels
Warthogs use Hydrogen engines, senpai.
>>53099817
The fact that the rounds have the same dimensions as is Nato-standard doesn't mean they're the same rounds. Advances in more efficient or powerful propellants would mean that those bullets would hit far harder than their modern-day counterparts. Plus the fact that the standard weapon spits out 7.62 rounds on full-auto with recoil that's actually manageable means that recoil-dampening has improved significantly.
More importantly, Nato-standard was adopted in order to simplify the logistics of fielding large forces with a large variety of weapons. Why adopt a new system when the old one is still working fine and has all the industrial backing already established?
>>
>>53097988
>Also, did Bungie have something with Hungary?

Nah, nothing like that. I think there was film industry incentives in Hungary that made Microsoft decide to make their trailers there and hire local talent.
>>
File: 1337026210728.jpg (60KB, 540x531px) Image search: [Google]
1337026210728.jpg
60KB, 540x531px
>mfw that planet settled by Finns
>>
>>53095184
Honestly I love it, and I think alot of it is actually underappreciated. THe visuals are great, and I based my IG army off of ODSTs, though since I can't make their paint scheme interesting to save my life there not in dark grey/black
>>
>>53099896
>I don't see the century has anything to do with it
Time, son, do you even? If you can manage faster than light but you're still stumbling over practical man portable lasers that's pretty sad.
>>
>>53095350
>I wish there was a /tg/ game set on it.
There is, actually. A homebrew by some fa/tg/uys called Halo Mythic. My group's actually played it a couple times and got a fair amount of enjoyment out of it. The character creation was kind of weird (at least in the version we played, I'm pretty sure it's been updated since then), but it was a pretty solid system overall.
>>
>>53096060
I enjoyed the naming overall. Planets had good names like Reach and Harvest. Plus those fucking ship names were gr8, especially in the novels
>>
>>53099967
>If you can manage faster than light but you're still stumbling over practical man portable lasers that's pretty sad.

We put a man on the moon using computers with less CPU than the smartphone in your pocket.
>>
>>53099907
Every military has standards but standards can change, especially with what is practical. The simple truth is Bungie just likes modern combat peanut butter in their scifi chocolate.

>>53099967
They even have access to multiple types of advanced alien tech too but even their awesome AIs which can otherwise interface with alien computer systems can't figure out how to reload.
>>
>>53096060
>>53096260
>>53097497
>>53097579
>>53098224
Don't forget Armageddon's Edge
>>
>>53100001
>We put a man on the moon using computers with less CPU than the smartphone in your pocket.
Jesus, anon, that only makes the lack of obvious advancement worse, not better. Just because that less CPU than the smartphone in your pocket was good enough to get to the moon didn't mean we didn't keep advancing our computer technology.
>>
File: 1373319005525.png (15KB, 560x407px) Image search: [Google]
1373319005525.png
15KB, 560x407px
>>53100004
>The simple truth is Bungie just likes modern combat peanut butter in their scifi chocolate.

And there is literally nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>53100032
Apparently to some it's a tad ridiculous, but different strokes for different folks.
>>
>>53100024
But their jeeps use hydrogen fuel and the tires are made from nigh-industructible nano-rubber! They're just obsessed with old school style, like those scifi series where the military run around in Napoleonic War or Soviet Era uniforms.
>>
>>53100068
Personally, it feels like a VR headset made with smooth, well-worn leather; it's a high-tech future that's comfortable to grip and understand.

>>53100119
>where the military run around in Napoleonic War or Soviet Era uniforms.

Anon, I want a setting with that so bad, where the muskets are single-shot railguns.
>>
>>53100129
Sure, and between every shot you have to ram a degaussing rod down the barrel.
>>
>>53100140
*ziiiiip*
I'll be busy for a few minutes here
>>
File: PL_Friendly_Fire.png (264KB, 949x172px) Image search: [Google]
PL_Friendly_Fire.png
264KB, 949x172px
>>53099830
>ONI Section Zero Board//Surveillance transcription of internal communications
between subjects 'D' and 'S', 05.06.2553 1702 hrs//Full transcript available on
request//

>['D']...what's the name of the ship? Something pronounceable, I hope.

>['S'] 'The Enduring Conviction', sir. A CAS-class assault carrier. The Conviction and
its Sangheili commander have been known to us for some time, we've lost quite a few ships to it over the last four years. According to our intel it's the largest
ship Atriox controls now.

>['D'] He's amassing quite a fleet. This must be the ninth raid in as many months. Still, he's never gone for something this large before. How did he raise enough
troops to capture and then crew a CAS-class carrier?

>['S'] We're piecing together what we can, sir. From what we understand, Atriox
and a small group of his warlords were captured during a raid on a former
Covenant air base and taken aboard the Enduring Conviction. Twelve hours
later. Enduring Conviction broke formation and contact with the rest of the
fleet it travelled with. The Conviction was hailed, warned, and then fired upon
when it ignored orders. The Conviction performed evasive maneuvers, returned
fire and escaped. It was an impressive move...and it's one we've seen before
during a battle with the Conviction two years ago.

>['D'] Are you implying the commander was still in control?

>['S'] It's possible, sir. It's unclear who's giving orders to these Sangheili ships now and his crew was fiercely loyal. If we knew that, then Atriox would have. What if Atriox planned to be captured by the Conviction so he could get close to the
commander and get him to defect? It may have even already been planned and
this was just a cover.

>['D'] An assault carrier and its crew. Atriox has just painted a very large target
on his back, he's going to want to lay low for a while. Keep track of known
Sangheili, let's see if this snowball turns into an avalanche.
>>
Halo was great until Reach came out. Reach was a great game but it ruined the fucking amazing lore that Eric Nylund pretty much filled the universe with single handedly. Then they went and edited his books to be in line with Halo Reach and ruined a lot of the cool shit.

Then there was Halo 4 which was so fucking awful that they should have ended the series then and there and wiped the game from the record. Karen Travis also took over as the main writer and she was fucking awful, ruined the spartans in general, and made everything terrible.
The Forerunner novels were equally terrible, I could barely get through the first with how fucking stupid it was: ancient human empires which beat the Flood, Forerunners ignoring the flood, an insane moron leader of their society, the "no john we are the flood" shit. God that series was fucking awful

I like to play the Halo Mythic RPG, I played it when it was being alpha-ed on /tg/, but the rules went from Dark Heresy but Halo to FATAL levels of complex.
>>
>>53100342
Gotta agree with this, I immensely enjoyed the setting up until Halo 4, Halo: Reach too (too a much lesser extent). The changes made for Reach weren't the end of the world, but there was no turning back from Spartan IVs.
>>
>>53100424
What really sealed the deal to me was them killing off the Rookie off screen.

They did so much shit wrong.
>>
>>53098293
The Prometheans will be the hidden antagonist. Most of my players have no idea about them and I want to see if I can do them more justice than 343 does.
>>
>>53095530
I like how I know who "that rocket launcher fucker" is, completely out of context besides "flood"
>>
>>53100342
I think you are severely confused anon, you see Bungie never cared about the lore, they fought to their best of their abilities to not have that book and M$ had to come in and will that book into existance, and even them Bungie obstructured the book until Nylund only had 6 weeks left to write a 400+ pages book, anybody who really knew Bungie and wasn't blinded by the coattails of CE and Halo 2 saw it coming miles away. In fact Bungie didn't even care about characterizations between their own games, the Prophet of Truth anybody? or the Flood? or the nonsensical cheap drama deaths that would have Miranda court martialed for derilection of duty, among other holes in the story.

Then Halo 4 came along, and a guy named Christ Schafer (or something like that) actually put the time to write a compelling character study in video game form and a lot of the people surrounding the project gave their painful personal experiences to the project to make it bigger and better anf it was beautiful, not perfect, but beautiful.

Then some bum called Reed listened to some other bums on the internet and H5 happened and now they aim to get rid of the few things they did right in Halo.
>>
>>53100211
I have the feeling we're going to wake up tomorrow to reports of a tragic urethral insertion related death noted for the deceased having both 4chan open in his browser as well as a google query for homemade degaussing rods.
>>
>>53099806
I was pissed that one of the rebel human colonies actually BUILT an intergalactic vessel and was ready to fuck off from the Galaxy but it was destroyed before they could activate it.
Why didn't anyone repeat this attempt?
>>
>>53099509
The Cole Protocole is good, I also recommend Halo: Last Light, Halo: Envoy, Halo: Fractures, The Fall of Reach trilogy of you haven't done that yet, Halo: New Blood, Halo Mythos if you haven't played the games (it is not a story book, more like a catch up with the plot book with cool pictures)

The Forerunner trilogy is beutiful but it is written like very old school sci-fi Tolkieneske, so it can be a slog to get through it.
>>
I want a Halo buddy cop movie with Private Jenkins and his Hunter partner who is a loose fuel rod cannon
>>
>>53100795
I hear nothing good about Karen Traviss' novels. Some people really don't seem happy with the war criminal stuff regarding Halsey.
>>
>>53100864
She has some qualities but she always goes out to vilify someone, be it the rampant Jedi bashing/mandolorian cocksucking in her Republic commando books or turning Halsey into Mengale with tits
>>
>>53095184
played the first one, loved it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hs6TzztzdQ
2nd one dicked me about, never played 3rd

from what I know of the lore I like it.
>>
>>53099752
>5.56x45
The MA5, the assault rifle, is 7.62x51, friend.
>>
>>53100669
Everything post Reach was shit and there's literally no way you'll convince anyone else other wise.

It was shit. Halo was good cause most of the universe was made by one writer with one goal.
>>
>>53099817
You realize that Warthogs run on hydrogen right?
>>
File: (You).png (534KB, 1156x999px) Image search: [Google]
(You).png
534KB, 1156x999px
>>53101002
>post Reach
>implying Reach wasn't shit
>>
>>53099791
I just want to see more of them.

>>53100864
In my opinion the lore fandom treats Halsey like a snowflake and not like the terrible person she is, the problem is that Karen Travis took it too far on the opposite direction, while letting everyone else like Parangosky and Mendez of the hook so the parts that involve her in the trilogy come off as cringey, that been said she wrote the best Sangheili to date in that book, as well as the best AI and as long you remind yourself that Kilo-5 are people who just four done having a genocidal war wage against them by signing a peace treaty with the people in charge of it, the book is pretty decent as long as you can tune out the Halsey parts. In short only read it once you get more invested in lore, maybe.
>>
>>53095184
Alright. Looking for a Halo campaign guide to be able to have to the players and refer to at the table. I have a preference for physical medium for this purpose. Here are my options as I see it. Can you guys give me feedback?

>Halo encyclopedia (2009)
352 pages
~$40+ shipping.

>Halo encyclopedia revised
?? Pages
~$105 + shipping

>Halo mythos
208 pages.
Is it missing all kinds of important stuff? Does it just have less art?
~$35, free shipping.

>Save Wikia articles as pdf, collect print and stick them in a binder and write my own table of contents.
This would be a pain in the ass, and would likely still cost me $30, and would be black and white, but it's an option if the content quality is that much better.

So? What are your thoughts on the options?
>>
>>53100342
>The Forerunner novels were equally terrible
>talking shit about the Bear
>implying some of this shit wasn't in the games
Back to the Terminals woth (You)
>>
>>53100342
>edited his books to be in line with Halo Reach and ruined a lot of the cool shit.
Is this true? Is that even legal? It's Nylund's intellectual property, right? Did they have to re-release the book under a different name?
>>
>>53101042
>Implying 3 wasn't shit and Halo isn't in fact powered by nostalgia fags who wish it was 2007 again.
>>
>>53101082
In all honesty, 3 had plenty of shit. 2's still my favorite.
>>
>>53095184
>What does /tg/ think of the Halo setting?
It's dudebrocore at this point.
>>
>>53101053
Actually I got the revised encyclopedia by pennies in Amazon and mythos by like 20 something dollars on day one.
>>
>>53101036
You would too if you'd read the thread.
>>
>>53101098
of course, if Halo 5 wasn't a thing it would be tied with Reach for worse game of the franchise (they are still bad, just not the worse), Halo 2 was good, so was Halo 4's to be honest, and Halo Wars 1 and 2 as well as CE would be average Halos and ODST between them and 2/4

>>53101115
Halo was always dudebro, it is the original mountain dew and doritos game.
>>
>>53101082
>powered by nostalgia fags
Oh absolutely. I'm one of them. Fuck new thing. See?

But that doesn't mean that new installments of a franchise can be noticeably worse due to a change of hands and the new guys not getting the point of what the old guys were doing.
>>
>>53095459
Staff Sergeant Marvin Mobuto, neva 4get

I still remember that guy's name and I haven't read the book in over a decade.
>>
>>53101082
>nd Halo isn't in fact powered by nostalgia fags who wish it was 2007 again.

I will not deny this.

>>53101042

Reach was good, lore breakingly stupid, but good.
>inb4 armorlock

>>53101045
Mama Halsey did bad shit for good reasons which then turned out to be saving humanity reasons. The fact that I could totally see any modern government trying that shit speaks to how well Nylund did or just how awful the people running things are, dunno. I think it is asinine that people would suddenly turn on her after having a hand in saving our species an all.
>>
>>53095184

It was better when it was a more generic sci-fi that relied on the strength of the game, last one I played was 4 and it was full of expanded shit that I had no idea about and seemed so out of place with the previous games.
>>
>>53101257
Except that by any unbiased analysis Halo 4 has one of the best stories in the franchise, if not the best. The problem is that is not Halo 3 so nostalgia fags can't even bring logic into the equation, in fact that has been the major problem of every instalment since, and 343 could repack Halo 3 slap a six on it instead and that would still be a problem.

My thought process is this, we had some guys that couldn't give less of a fuck about the story and the setting beyond whatever makes their job easier, and now we hot guys that at least pretend to care, so I'm glad Bungie left when it did.
>>
>>53101209
>Not remembering when Halo was being developed for Macintosh computers and was a spiritual sequel to Marathon
>>
>>53101385

Wrong Halo 1 was the best story because it didn't try to make it something it isn't, it's a generic sci-fi setting about aliens fighting space marines and, like Doom, the closer they stay to this the better the games are.
>>
File: 1469598704132.jpg (361KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1469598704132.jpg
361KB, 2048x2048px
>>53099752
>5.56
The human rifle fire AP 7.62 REAL FUCKIN' NATO
>>
>>53099901
I knew Halo was dying when Mendez started acting like he had the moral high ground to Halsey
>>
As I fan of the series since the first game, I'd like to know who else thinks the best possible halo game, would just be a mod for x-com?
>>
>>53095484
>but I've never quite been able to decipher if that was just the nostalgiafag in me, or if it actually got worse.

Nah, it's just a case of 343 completely missing the mark and not getting what made the original trilogy great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qfx9eoB-88
>>
>>53095196
Doesn't that apply to every setting?
>>
>>53101455
I'm nor privy to the absolute minute details of the lore, but why wouldn't he? He just trained them.
It's a weak defense regarding children soldier becoming super soldiers, but he was following orders.
She was the mind behind all of it.
343's view or her being more or less HITLER isn't great though. I feel she was justified in her actions.
>>
>>53101469
X-com 2 already has a shit ton of halo mods.
>>
>>53101414
Dude that's so ancient that there is a significant portion of the world's pulation that wasn't born yet when halo was still an RTS.

>>53101328
The thing is... she didn't do it for the covenant she did it to squash a possible insurrection that to be fair would have left billions dead, but that it was done to just preserve the power of the UNSC.

I mean if during the American revolutionary war the British had deployed cybernetically enhanced SAS supersoldiers that they have been training since age 6 for that purpose, they would certainly not been seen as the good guys, not as the bad guys but certainly not as the good guys.
>>
>>53101478
>video
Both of those design philosophies are pretty terrible though to be quite honest friend
>>
I really the idea of the antagonist faction being not one alien race, but a confederation with a common goal, especially the religious one the Covenant has. It makes it a lot more interesting to fight a genuinely xenocidal alien race instead of "we need your resources so go away xD"

also it lead to Blizzard ripping it off when they expanded the Lore of the Burning Legion in WoW and its expansions, which was also neat
>>
>>53101513
Glad to hear that, actually. Are they good though?
>>
File: 1429975990755-3.jpg (23KB, 600x238px) Image search: [Google]
1429975990755-3.jpg
23KB, 600x238px
>>53101516
Well, that's the first time I've been called ancient.
>>
>>53100887
Good lord I'm still not over that terrible fanboyism for Mandalorians.

The fact that she never watched the SW movies before she was asked to write a book about it rustle my jimmies immensely.

I do hope they keep some of her lore about Mandos however. Some of it was interesting. The language notably.
Having the Republic Commandos song for the (potential) Boba Fett movie would be bloody awesome, even if they'd have to be tweaked a wee bit since it wouldn't be Republic songs.
>>
>>53101424
>Halo CE
>The best

there is a reason 2 is the one people remember and not CE
>>
>>53101555
Look them up in the workshop. Obviously the armors are the most proeminent mods, they look pretty fucking good.
>>
>>53101516
I know, that is why I said bad shit for good reasons(stopping insurrectionists from killing loadsa people), which then turned into saving humanity reasons(slapping the Covies shit so hard).

>>53101563
Welcome to being an old fucker.

>>53101573
Thats because 2 MADE XboxLive as big as it is. CE is hands down the better game.
>>
File: Xcom baby.jpg (322KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Xcom baby.jpg
322KB, 1920x1080px
>>53101555
It's mostly cosmetic and weapon modifications so if you want to have a squad of odsts you can, and have UNSC weapons while gunning down aliens. There's also some voices taken from halo such as Avery johnson so yeah I say it's decent enough not sure how much has been added in the last year I've been playing.
>>
>>53101563
let me put it this way, there have been over a billion people who have been born since, in fact girls that weren't born back then can legally do porn today and you may have even fapped to them
>>
File: 7nI8c5F.jpg (876KB, 5750x2150px) Image search: [Google]
7nI8c5F.jpg
876KB, 5750x2150px
>>53101616
>Not making Noble team

You're doing it wrong anon.
>>
>>53101612
people also like 2 because it had a good story, the Arbiter's. Halo 4 was for John what Halo 2 was for Thel, a character exploration about a cool and bad ass soldier.
>>
>>53100847
Throw in police sergeant Johnson, and that sounds pretty baller.
>>
>>53101120
I listed the lowest Amazon price.

Books are also harder to find outside the USA.
>>
>>53099952
Which one was that?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170506-200202.jpg (419KB, 1056x1404px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170506-200202.jpg
419KB, 1056x1404px
>>53101721
That's weird
>>
File: Screenshot_20170506-170500.png (643KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170506-170500.png
643KB, 1080x1920px
>>53101745
Yeah. Welcome to Amazon.ca
>>
>>53101735
Sansar, they were the birthplace of one of the Spartans Naomi-010 who looks like a Valkyre and is armed with the most advanced Mjolnir ever capable of evolving and shit.

She is in the K5 trilogy tho, pure waifu material if you ask me.
>>
>>53101781
That's pretty bullshit.
>>
File: 1468287843322.png (212KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1468287843322.png
212KB, 512x384px
>>53101781
ouch
>>
>>53101708
I remember so many people hating the Arbiter segments. I thought those were fantastic and seeing the Covie side of things really helped flesh out the universe.

Conversely I hated finding out all the Forerunner shit in 4, I liked ancient mysterious shit being ancient and mysterious. The worst offence is the Forerunner looking like some shitty Star Trek rubber mask humans. There was an imgur link up thread that shed more light on them with the species-caste-mutation jazz which is rather unique, doesn't stop them from visually looking uninspired.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170506-170909.png (504KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170506-170909.png
504KB, 1080x1920px
>>53101745
This is what it's like every time I buy books.

GURPS martial arts 4e

>>53101803
Yep. Agreed.

The alternative is to order from Amazon.com, and pay importing fees, higher shipping, and deal with whatever the conversion rate is at this point, it's often like tacking on an extra $40-70 to the price. Occasionally, but generally not, any better.
>>
File: 1492622988866.jpg (85KB, 1116x642px) Image search: [Google]
1492622988866.jpg
85KB, 1116x642px
>>53096037
>The Didact is a cool villain
They could have focused more on post-war conflicts rather than the "ancient evil awakens"
>>
>>53101845
There is plenty of mysterious left in Halo and a story that runs for long enough is bound to explore said mysteries.

plus they were all made by three same guys so there is that
>>
Ghosts of Onyx is best book
Halo 4 was not as bad as everyone says it was. The multiplayer wasn't so hot but the campaign was pretty good. Halo 5 was shit as was MCC. Reach did kill multiplayer and lore but still a good game, Invasion is best gametype.
Oh lastly and most importantly. Brutes were, are, and will never be as OP as everyone seems to fucking portray them. Aside from Atriox or other named characters. They can be killed and rank as harder than Elites but by far no where near Hunters level of OP.
>>
>>53101920
Anduin full fledged Paladin when?
Between Genn for the warrior part and Velen for the Priest part, he'll be an absolute monster. Plus the comic shows him with a bitchin beard and a scarred face alongside Velen, old and rugged as all hell so he definitely survives for a long time.
>>
File: PAX-BanishedArtstyleConcept.jpg (152KB, 1120x630px) Image search: [Google]
PAX-BanishedArtstyleConcept.jpg
152KB, 1120x630px
So how well would the brutes and the Banished fit on 40K?
>>
>>53100864
>>53101045
In my opinion, the problem with Hasley is that nobody who touched her could make her anything but an outrageous sue, or literally the devil. It got a little annoying.
>>
>>53101979
Soon. Though knowing Blizzard it might be a disappointment. Still that trailer was moving as fuck.
>>
>>53101082
3 was the beginning of the end, but the lore was still mostly coherent and engaging.
>>
>>53101943
> Hunters level of OP.

Man that scene where the Elites are completely astonished when an SII kills a Hunter in hand to hand combat. GoO really was best book.

343i throws nice fluff nods into the games but then fucks it all up with other shit. SIVs in general.
>>
>>53101424
>it's a generic sci-fi setting about aliens fighting space marines
And where do the alien parasite zombies kept in hibernation after an ancient alien species wiped out all life in the galaxy to cleanse it and humans mysteriously have access to all of the ancient alien technology fit on to a generic sphess mehreen fightan ayylmaos story?
>>
>>53101943
>Oh lastly and most importantly. Brutes were, are, and will never be as OP as everyone seems to fucking portray them. Aside from Atriox or other named characters. They can be killed and rank as harder than Elites but by far no where near Hunters level of OP.

I mean they can... by 7 foot tall supersoldiers in power armor, often after nearly being beaten with in an inch of their life and emptying several magazines of bullets into the brutes.

The brutes are OP and unlike most hunters, they aren't locked to one weapon.
>>
>>53102039
Anduin will become Manduin. About time he becomes worthy of his name.
>>
>>53102138
as much as they're leading towards him being a paladin, it'd be cool to see him wrecking the Legion as a straight up priest
>>
>>53102067
General rule of thumb in the Haloverse is
Spartan IIs> practically everything.
>>53102109
No, please, cut this shit out. They're harder to kill because of their hide and armor they wear plus the chimping out. But no it portrays them as almost unkillable tanks in the books yet other times they get womped on, by ODSTS. Competent ODSTs but still.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGdhtDIVJzY
Keep in mind this was a Chieftain. Look I"m not saying they are pushovers nor would it be fun facing a pack of them. But they are nowhere near as OP as everyone seems to think of them, they're inconsistent as all hell in the lore and go from things that wrestle spartans for fun, to getting smacked around by normal troopers. I put them as harder than normal elites, but nowhere near hunter tier. On top of that, they are not very bright and aside from named ones like Atriox.
>>
>>53101512
>just following orders
>>
>>53101991
Not too well, I'd think. They overlap with Orks way too much, but Orks are better than them in almost every category. They do have a few higher-tech options over Orks, which does give them a niche, but I can't see them surviving well on their own in a universe already adapted to handle Orks.

The best-case scenerio for the race would be to be picked up and integrated into the Tau where they would work as a harder, tougher front than Kroot currently provide, who would then be relegated to more subtle operations. The Tau would likely be more effective at sabotaging Brute society to the point where a rebellion wouldn't be possible, unlike the Covenant.
>>
>>53101512
They were both fucked up. But in the end they both ended up as parental figures to the spartans, more so Mendez, some S-II's just want to murder Halsey.
>>
>>53101570
She didn't even watch the movies!? That should be on the line of required viewing for any starwars author
>>
>>53101531
>we wanted to make a fun game with an engaging backstory
>pew pew mastur chief, we Halo'z lol!
One is shittier than the other. At least one had passion put into it.
>>
>>53101845
Nonhumanoid forerunners would have been so much better, also what is this bullshit about humanity having had a war with them?
>>
File: Atriox_Concept_Size.jpg (252KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Atriox_Concept_Size.jpg
252KB, 1920x1080px
>>53102253
But that's literally the showing of brutes with several inconsistencies with how actual lore portrays them for example that gravity hammer should've reduced that ODST to a bloody smear, like it does everytime it hits anything else and the Halo snipers are stupid powerful, as in goes through over a dozen feet of flesh and bone at 600 yards.

and in New Blood we get told that brute only died because when it felt it did so on a knife to the neck.

I mean look at pick related
>>
>>53102421
humanity was the ancient aliens, and the Forerunners went to war with them and devolved them back to the stone age
>>
>>53100342
>>53100424
Except Fall of Reach wasn't actually this holy grail of lore and a lot of it is reconciled by Halsey's Journal + some minor corrections that didn't even make sense when the book first released.

Additionally:
>ONI
>unreliable narration

Reach is easy to link up with FoR and he universe is better for it.
>>
>>53102109
Im willing to bet the Brutes on the Uneven Elephant were some top tier motherfuckers. Otherwise we are looking at physically stronger and slightly more durable Elites, minus the tactical acumen. Remember, Brutes nuked themselves back into the stoneage, these guys are not smart.

>>53102253
Thats why I disliked the SIVs so much.

>>53101920
That would have been nice. Also having an ODST game like rainbow six vegas 2 or SOCOM instead of a Halo 3 mod. I just really want to have the novel lethality and to operate operationally.
>>
File: 1401703731075.jpg (391KB, 1794x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1401703731075.jpg
391KB, 1794x1080px
>>53095184
I love it so far
special thanks go to Reach, haters can suck a cock
1-3 were awesome
I'm not yet sure what to think about the Reclaimer saga, I will probably decide with Halo 6, gameplay was fun so far though
I think ODST was good
the movies and short films are nice, but I'm still desperately waiting for a _real movie_ or even a trilogy to watch on the big screen
I have never played any Halo Wars and the mobile games are boring as fuck and the ressources were wasted
/blog
>>
>>53102453
.... that is fucking retarded, we're not even the underdogs of the setting, we're the fucking golden boys. A race of special snowflake neos
>>
>>53102467
>ODST game like rainbow six vegas 2
Please anon, don't make me long for something I will never see
>>
>>53102484
It makes sense in story, and the fight was more like Imperial Japan vs the US in WW2, and the humans were the IJ
>>
>>53102491
Welcome to my hell, ever since ODST was announced I was hoping it would be RSV2 in space.

>>53102476
Halo Wars has some of the best art direction. Their MJOLNIR armor is pimp.
>>
Halo setting is criminally underrated. It's a pretty realistic vision of the future.

Shame 343 fucked the settings with ancient humans, new flood origin, halo 5, etc.
>>
>>53102434
No Gravity hammers have a radius, the ODSTs outside the radius were fine because it just causes a force burst. The one police officer did like 8 backflips if you were watching after he got smacked by it. So it is still fucking dangerous just not a fucking rape button for everything 30 feet within it.

Also did you not read what I was saying you literally brought up something I addressed in my post. Named Brutes or characters do not count because they are OP as shit and you just showed a picture of one of the scariest brutes of all time.

My point still stands not as OP as everyone thinks they are.

>Quoting a book that kills of Rookie in the most bullshit way possible and makes Mickie a rebel.
Seriously? You're quoting shit more inconsistent than brutes.
>>
>>53102467
But I'm not talking about the ones in the UH, I'm talking about the ones on earth when they are about to board the space elevator, or the ones on contact harvest where at one point a War Chieftain literally just stands there and lets a platoon of soldier unload on him and is not even threatened, like I lost count of all the times the warthog gun proves ineffectual against them.

And their guns are like literally anti-vehicle stuff.
>>
>>53099663
star trek is supposed to be this but the problem is they wanted the futuristic look but their props were so cheap they came off as ridiculous
>>
>>53102592
Bro where are you getting these super broken brutes. The space elevator I get, but once again that is inconsistent because Eric was told to write Brutes as OP as shit to fluff them up to be hard enemies in Halo 3.

Listen if brutes were as OP as you or as many many people keep making them out to be nobody would have won on the ground or have gotten to Truth at the end of Halo 3. They would be that broken, which they are not.
The War chieftain you are referring to was a named character in Contact Harvest and the only reason he survived against Johnson and the warthog was when they rammed him it broke his leg so he doubled over and dodged the machine gun on the warthog. He didn't shrug it off. Even powerful shielding can't shrug a minigun 5 feet away. Unless you are the Didact or a Promethean. Or a fucking Hunter.
>>
File: Halo_Waypoint_-_Meridian_surface.jpg (104KB, 1920x675px) Image search: [Google]
Halo_Waypoint_-_Meridian_surface.jpg
104KB, 1920x675px
And now I really want to run a mercenary/frontier campaign in postwar Covie-human border space, with colonists starting to move into the old empire and conflcits arising between humans and Covie civilians.

And this is on top of the Shadowrun campaign I'm running starting in July and the Eclipse Phase campaign I've promised once that one wraps up
why do I do this to myself
>>
>>53102104
the Zerg/alien/tyranid scale.

Halo is recycled story content. That's not a bad thing, because they took the good things from other stories and smashed them together
>>
>>53101512
Mendez didn't just stop with IIs. He went on to train the IIIs. I might be misremembering GoO but didn't he volenteer to train the IIIs?
>>
>>53102982
He was picked by Ambrose and acted as the XO of the project.

I don't know if he volunteered for it, but he certainly didn't complain when he was there.
>>
File: DfBbpyn.jpg (612KB, 946x1384px) Image search: [Google]
DfBbpyn.jpg
612KB, 946x1384px
>>53102708
>>53102579
First things first, Atriox is average size gor a brute, if I wanted to be unfair I would use Decimus who makes Atriox look like a manlet.

Second on Halo 3 the brutes where fighting an unholy alliance between the flood, the humans and the elites after their reinforcements got cut off, that they didn't immediately got rape up the ass is testament to their power.

Third, pic related.

Fourth: Halo evolutions Stomping on the heels of a fuss:

>Her revenge didn‘t last long, as another Brute simply smacked her head clear of her shoulders. Some of the others were trying to make their way up the hill slowly, but the Brutes were quick to follow, snatching them up, ripping them to shreds, some tearing into their flesh with their teeth.

P. 48

Fifth:

>“By the time he had the LAAG’s rotary barrel up to speed, the lead vehicle was boosting toward him with a throaty roar. Byrne managed a few seconds of sustained fire at the blue-armored alien in the vehicle’s seat, then he dove from the turret. As he rolled onto the hot and sticky asphalt, the Warthog exploded behind him—broke apart in a terrific screech of metal as the alien vehicle’s bladed wheel hit it broadside between the tires.”

Excerpt From: Staten, Joseph. “Contact Harvest.” Tor. iBooks.

Sixth: Contact Harvest:

>When the alien rose to face the sound, Byrne let him have it. Blue sparks burst from the alien's energy shields as the LAAG'S twelve-point-seven millimeter rounds drove home. The creature staggered backward, and, for a moment, Avery thought Byrne's sustained fire would cut it down. But just as its knees looked set to buckle, the alien rolled sideways behind the sedan.

P. 294

Seventh: Halo Wars 2
https://youtu.be/ESa9GgwbE_A

And had to cut this short but I can go on all day.
>>
>>53103000
>certainly didn't complain when he was there.
And that's why him bitching at Halsey pisses me off. They'll have IIs that want to rip and tear her but no one says shit about Mendez.
>>
>>53101573
2 had the most memorable dialogue.

"I? I am a monument to all your sins."
>>
>>53103085
Which is why I didn't like the Kilo-5 trilogy, which is a shame because BB and Jul deserved better.
>>
>>53100504
In the level Library, there is a notorious moment where you are going thru a tight tunnel, a gaggle of flood come out from around a corner as you approach and one of them has a rocket launcher.
It is going to kill you 6/10 playthrus unless you manage to pistol snipe it immediately.
>>
File: 1491055363754.gif (425KB, 268x270px) Image search: [Google]
1491055363754.gif
425KB, 268x270px
>>53101629
>in fact girls that weren't born back then can legally do porn today and you may have even fapped to them
>>
So explain Halsey and the super computer's motivation to me.

What was their endgame?

To put ONI on top?

I keep hearing to stop the Insurrectionists, but the UNSC seems to have an equal share of messed up stuff in their end, like Operation 'Child Steal' and Operation Drug Stolen Children like African Warlords' and their procurement leaves a lot to be desired.
>>
>Things that made me tear up.

>Halo 4's ending cheap as it was.

>Halo 3's Title screen

Yes halo 3 is THAT good In my opinion.

judge for yourself https://youtu.be/Ju4oFoSR9Ms
>>
>>53100013
best one:

>Walk of Shame
>>
>>53103017
1. Stop comparing normal brutes and named characters.

2. I don't know what you were watching but I was watching Brutes get smacked around by flood.

3. That's at a distance with half of the shots missing. That is more of the armor then the actual brute shrugging off the bullets.

4. Halo Evolutions Dirt:

>The armored human was like a tank, clearing teh way for us. It shrugged off Grunts like they were annoying mosquitoes, tackled Brutes face on, and was an equal match for any Elite.
P.133
> And after waves of screaming Grunts came the races higher up in the Covenant food chain: Jackal snipes, Brutes rushing the line, and then finally Elites, flashing their energy swords as they got in close enough to the melee.
P.132
Oh look more inconsistency. If brutes were as OP as you are making them out to be they would be tougher than those elites with their energy swords but they aren't. Quoting brutes against normal human civilians, yeah I would get my head slapped off if I was face to face with a god damn bear.

5. Quoting a vehicle encounter with a brute behind a fucking anti-vehicle chopper. Come on man those were designed to wreck vehicles. I'm not taking that as full value even with the fact that the brute was in armor.

6. Once again 3 and 5. That is more of the armor then the actual brute taking the LAAG. Although I do agree with you now that they can take some sustained fire because of the armor.

7. You showed once again a named brute character and probably the scariest one.

So boiled down to, look at the inconsistencies with Brutes, and pointing out named characters. Yeah I'm still not convinced they're these unstoppable creatures. Yeah wouldn't want to be locked in a room with one but they are still not as OP as you seem to think.
>>
>>53103317
How come no-one has mentioned UNSC Point of No Return yet?
>>
>>53099968
>>53097772
>>53097519
>>53097268
so... where can I find this rpg?
>>
File: d1khxEK.jpg (418KB, 1000x1538px) Image search: [Google]
d1khxEK.jpg
418KB, 1000x1538px
>>53103327
>1. Stop comparing normal brutes and named characters.

but Atriox is average size for a brute tho and that's how massive a brute is.

plus look at how all this brutes send elites flying with one punch and treat them like ragdolls:

https://youtu.be/q-RMEYMu82Y

>2. I don't know what you were watching but I was watching Brutes get smacked around by flood.

Yeah that's because the Flood is using combat forms to fight them you know the ones strong enough to leap like the hulk in Halo 3.

>4. Halo Evolutions Dirt:

>The armored human was like a tank, clearing teh way for us. It shrugged off Grunts like they were annoying mosquitoes, tackled Brutes face on, and was an equal match for any Elite.
P.133
> And after waves of screaming Grunts came the races higher up in the Covenant food chain: Jackal snipes, Brutes rushing the line, and then finally Elites, flashing their energy swords as they got in close enough to the melee.
P.132

That's the thing, this doesn't tell us how he fought them, for all we know the Spartan walked up to them with a Spartan Laser or a SPNKR and just blew them to kingdom come, this how a fight actually gets described between a brute and a Spartan in first strike MC almost dies and has to literally explode a grenade on it after tripping it on the floor and even then this random as brute was just as fast as a Spartan, also the Elites march last because they are the leaders and the brutes are shock troops.

5. dude read:

>Byrne managed a few seconds of sustained fire at the blue-armored alien in the vehicle’s seat

directly at the brute and also what do you expect? the brutes to fight naked? there is a reason why the great schism happened.
>>
>>53103327
6&7:

>Now the shorter escort had its bladed pistol out. As the creature took aim at Avery, he hugged Jilan tight—shielded her smaller body with his own. He had a moment to second-guess Ponder's pronouncement that they had trained the recruits well—that they were ready for the split-second, life-or-death decisions combat demanded—when he heard the high-pitched triplecrack of Jenkins' BR55. The shorter escort howled in surprise as a burst pinged off its helmet, snapping its large head back. Then all Avery could hear was the snap of bullets overhead as the twenty-four bravo recruits opened fire, full automatic. Peppered with multiple shots, the shorter escort took a shaky step backward. It jerked left and right as if fighting off an invisible swarm of bees. Then its energy shields collapsed with a flash and a loud pop, and its armor began venting cyan smoke and sparks as dozens more MA5 rounds slammed into its unprotected plates. Now it was the aliens' turn to protect their own. The leader lunged toward its shorter escort, turning its back toward the greenhouse. Its golden armor must have had stronger shields, because even the bravo squads' concentrated fire failed to take them down. The taller escort loosed a thunderous roar and raked the recruits from north to south, covering the leader as it helped its wounded comrade limp down the stairs to the second tier. Avery wasn't sure how many of the recruits along the greenhouse had been hit—whether their screams were from fresh wounds or an excess of adrenaline.
>>
>>53103581
Here you go, m80.
http://www.haloarchive.com/forum/topic/1029-halo-mythic-fan-made-halo-tabletop-rpg/
>>
File: censored.png (159KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
censored.png
159KB, 540x405px
>>53103801
sweet, thanks
>>
>>53103316
go to halomeDOTnu
>>
>>53103749
1. Once again stop comparing named characters. I don't care if he is the size of a normal brute he is anything other than normal. Brutes are sucker punching Elites and send them flying. Yeah makes sense they're strong and got the drop on them.

2. Excellent glad we could agree they got smacked around.

4. It straight up says he tackled them head on. Also he had two machine guns if I believe but no heavy weaponry. Once again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIvNm4LLeQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOvj6rYyVSo

Inconsistent, here they get smacked around including a chieftain. Do you seem what I am trying to point out, they were written as OP by Eric to be fluffed up for Halo 3. I hate how this literally made them seem like they were completely unbeatable when in fact they are not. If it was all consistent they would whoop everyone's on the ground to such an extent that hunters wouldn't even be needed. They are a tough fight and are tankier than an Elite, but don't kid yourself if taking a full clip to the stomach and then wrestling Chief is the normal for them. They are incredibly inconsistency and that is what I hate about them.

5 and 6 and 7. You are not arguing how OP they themselves are you are pointing out the strength of the covenant shields and armor. Yeah they deflected bullets, but that is their armor not them
>>
>>53095184
it was pretty cool.
should have ended with Halo 3 though
>>
>>53101943
>Halo 4 campaign good, with that generally terrible encounter design
>>
>>53098132
/thread
>>
File: peterpanandme.png (29KB, 650x500px) Image search: [Google]
peterpanandme.png
29KB, 650x500px
>>53104043
I've always thought of them as more (brute)al but less skilled Elites. Though I liked Elites way more as enemies and design wise, I heard good things about the Brute faction in HAAH WAAW 2. Just wish it wasn't WIN 10 EXCLUSIVE GOY
>>
>>53099770
>>53099806
If I remember right Master Chief talks about how unfair the fight against the Covenant is because humanity (specifically the Spartans) can hold their own and even win; but whenever the Covenant starts to lose they just go back to their ships and glass the planet.

Super soldiers are only so effective, and they can't beat the ol'Orbital Bombardment technique.
>>
>>53095184
>Halo
The deep lore is fucking amazing, makes me want to re-read the novels

The flood is one of the best antagonists
The UNSC is pretty damn cool
ONI is pretty goddamn scary but it gets the job done
>>
>>53104400
Yep. They can win on the ground, but the Covenant only come to the ground for funsies (or if they want something specific). Their ships get rekt every time.
>>
File: UnarmedChieftain.png (387KB, 915x1079px) Image search: [Google]
UnarmedChieftain.png
387KB, 915x1079px
>>53104043
Dude you are acting as if being named grants superpowers or something, the only noteworthy thing about Atriox is that he funded the banished and is a military genius, not that he is super strong or anything, so both of those comparations are not only fair but logical.

>2. Excellent glad we could agree they got smacked around.

by an alliance between the UNSC the Elites and the guy who killed the forerunners? yes, yes they did.

>4.

whatever weapons he has ate irrelevant, the relevant information about them here is that he took several seconds of sustained fire from LAAG shooting 50 cal rounds at 500 rounds per seconds, and he is hardly the only one.

also that brute in the video is not a chieftain nor does he gets addressed as such ever in the anime nor outside of it, pic related is a chieftain and looking at it, not only is the armor different, but so are the colors and considering that one has blue colors according to the covenant he is a minor meaning he is a noob.

Even more, this guys does kill the Spartan eventually meaning he survived that fall there.

As for the Spartan fighting the brutes, he had his armor upgraded to the newest version at that point.

Also I have to remind you that chief was hardly the only one who had trouble, Fred also nearly got killed by one on GoO (and that was actually naked since he was on earth) and not only did Fred have to empty a magazine to his chest, he also had to shot inside his mouth too.
>>
>>53104565
>not that he is super strong or anything
He kinda kicked Red Team's ass.
>>
>>53103327
>they would be tougher than those elites with their energy swords
Can we at least agree that Energy Swords are underpowered in 5th edition?
>>
File: Rvb_Blue_Team_Halo_3_Engine.jpg (20KB, 328x321px) Image search: [Google]
Rvb_Blue_Team_Halo_3_Engine.jpg
20KB, 328x321px
>>53104633
Yeah but red team sucks
>>
>>53104565
>Dude you are acting as if being named grants superpowers or something
>>
>>53104633
Red team at the time had just gone out of cryo and had an outdated Mjolnir armor, regardless brutes have killed Spartans before
>>
>>53104700
Yeah, like Grace
>>
File: 1447552525560.jpg (311KB, 1583x1189px) Image search: [Google]
1447552525560.jpg
311KB, 1583x1189px
>>
>>53095459

Oh right, that badass.
>>
>>53095184
Old Halo was great.

Everything went to shit after 343i took over.
>>
>>53100887

If this is true, I cannot abide by it. Halsey is good for protecting.
>>
>>53105125
Halsey is literally hitler when she writes her, which is a disservice to the character. Traviss can write well, but her stories always turn someone into an unambiguous evil rather than any form of grey.
>>
>>53101535

I liked that too, felt much more grounded for the whole genocidal acts going on.
>>
>>53105160
>>53105125
You don't get to kidnap, drug, brainwash, develop new brainwashing techniques, create children to die, and still get to wear the white robes, Anons.

Seriously, whatever justification she succumbed to, if the Spartan project had leaked, she would have caused the very thing she wanted to prevent.
>>
>>53105330
Oh yeah, she knows she's doing bad shit and regrets the necessity of it, but it needs to be done-and at least its someone who shows compassion for her subjects rather than having a genuinely evil spook like Ackerman in charge of the project. She's a child kidnapper that's fully conscious of what an evil deed she's doing, but she's always been given enough humanity in other appearances to make it an end justifies the means approach, rather than the whole mad scientist with no sense of right and wrong that traviss wrote her as. As other anon said, she's mengele with tits when written under traviss.
>>
>>53105470
But that's what gets me.

She knew they were going to go out there and kill people. The moment ANYTHING she did is revealed, everyone rebels against the UNSC and the whole thing is moot or we are playing Castle Wolfenstein IN SPESSSSSS as some heroic Innie who believes they kidnapped their sibling.

The best you could give her is a Werner von Braun thing, but people don't get leniency because they ran an efficient immoral enterprise. I 'understand' a lot of it, and it takes an exceptional person to hold like she and the others did and why, but she should have a confession letter somewhere.

I think that's what gets me. What did she expect at the end of this, no matter what happened? If the Covenant hadn't appeared, she'd have Human blood all over her hands and planets worth of people after her, even if she did succeed.

>"I was nicer to them than the other kidnapper would have been."
Would that fly in any court, Kangaroo or not?
>>
Bleurgh,

I need to stop being triggered.
>>
File: SPIRIT_OF_FIRE_01.jpg (83KB, 1739x745px) Image search: [Google]
SPIRIT_OF_FIRE_01.jpg
83KB, 1739x745px
Spirit of Fire is one sexy lady. I want to see Cutter and co having to adapt to the new UNSC and working with the elites.
>>
>>53105667
I wanna see a legit Halo space game, those ships are way to sexy to not have any games. ALso sins of the Prophets is fun as fuck BUT FUCK THE FLOOD
>>
>>53105573
Her characterisation went for a full 180 spin, is what im saying. Yes, she's evil, or at least does reprehensible things, but she as a person only didnt enjoy what she did. In all of her previous appearances, she's a character who is disgusted by what she needs to do for the survival of humanity. All that character is tossed to the side, which is what i have a problem with. I'm not saying she's not a criminal, she's done genuinely awful things and any court would give her life without parole if not execution, stop responding to something i'm not saying.

Traviss took an established character and made that complex character an evil caricature simply so she can have a villian thats easy to hate, rather than a somewhat sympathetic character that could be seen as doing evil deeds for the betterment of humanity. She made them so as to prevent civil war on an interplanetary scale which would lead to the deaths of billions, but regretted the means she had to use to create them. She couldnt step down once she started because her competitors were genuinely evil people who would treat her mistreated subjects worse than she ever did. All that, ignored so a mengele expy with nothing in common but the name could step into the name and number of Doctor Halsey.
>>
>>53105706
So what exactly has been changed? I haven't read the books, all I got was from the games and the Halo graphic novel. Any specific examples?
>>
>>53095396
There's also ground command which is infantry and vehicles
>>
>>53104943
Man, I really wish their language had tried to capture how mangled words would sound coming out of that mouth.
>>
>>53105770
Halsey showed genuine care about her Spartans. Cole Protocol and FoR shows that she tried to get know them on a somewhat personal level. FoR she shows signs of regret of what she's about to do to these kids while in Glasslands. She didn't see why everyone was getting so pissy with her and that they should be thankful of her work.
>>
>>53105997
Hell in one of the books she does a bunch of shit to save a group of her Spartan II's. Halsey's chapters heavily imply that she looks at them as something akin to her children. John especially.
>>
>>53106040
I'm still pissed that Fred or Kelly just let Lucy,Mendez and the IIIs shit on Halseu
>>
>>53105770
>I haven't read the books, all I got was from the games and the Halo graphic novel
So, why are you proposing your objectively wrong opinion then, if you know you dont have the full story?
>>
>>53095184
Better then I expected
>>
>>53106324
Because I'm a twat and defending ONI's actions seems improper to me, no matter what they tell themselves. I agree with the interrogator guy from Halo 4.

I never got a chance to read the books since the book store in town closed. So outside of the games, it was the graphic novel and those animated shorts that they bundled together.

Do any of the books touch on the Arbiter and the Elites? They were cool.
>>
>>53104565
Why are you so dense? Named characters means a fucking huge amount. Atriox literally is the most broken brute so far, he would defiantly give anyone a run for their money.

Taking several seconds of sustained fire because of their armor not themselves. Which is even more inconsistent according to lore. Plus how do Fred and Chief have trouble with random brutes when Jerome boards a whole ship full of them and decimates like 3 packs of them in CQC. Like for fucks sake if they were half as OP as everyone makes them out to be they would be nigh unstoppable on the ground just do to their sheer brutishness.

The bottom line is because of their inconsistencies in the lore they are played up and made to be something way more than they really are. So people begin to mistake them as these unstoppable rage monsters.
>>
File: 1461724023566.jpg (283KB, 1200x606px) Image search: [Google]
1461724023566.jpg
283KB, 1200x606px
I like it. I like the setting, I like the (pre 343) aesthetics and I like the games. I have so much retarded fun with Halo 3, Reach and CE.

Hell I even like thhe trailers. Those were really good.
>>
>>53106412
ONI are a right royal bunch of cunts, who only got worse throughout the war. Post-war, its made up of the meanest nastiest bastards humanity has on offer, with palpatine-tier emergency powers that they're loath to give up. Even pre-war, the only person who was shown with any humanity was Halsey, which makes her loss a major negative for the series. But still, for all their awful skullduggery they did save humanity from nuking each other across all their colonies, and then held humanity together post-contact long enough for the war to reach a point where the covenant are torn apart internally. There would be no spartans, and thus no humanity left alive, if they weren't around. Post-war though, they're actively malevolent to anything that may impact upon their influence over humanity, and indeed the galaxy at large.

>stores
Its the internet age, you dont need stores. Either purchase an ebook, torrent it or get it delivered, all for cheaper than buying in a store.

A lot of the books give covenant perspectives, Harvest was good for showing how less-militarised areas of the covenant hegemony function, i.e. jackal traders and a grunt deacon, and the Cole Protocol shows Thel Vadam or whatever the arbiters name is pre-arbiter, which gives him a great deal of depth.
>>
>>53105706
It is worth pointing out, perhaps, that there were two "clone" copies of Halsey's brain that served as AIs. Kalmiya, who served as something of Halsey's personal aid who was allowed to remain online despite protocols (she was a prototype used to test crap they were installing in the other AI based on Halsey's cloned brain). She has moral objections but Halsey installed a code to turn those off. The code was "whateverittakes". The second, of course, is Cortana.

If there is a commonality between the three it is that they have a tendency to bypass morality (in Kalmiya a very literal thing but for Cortana and Halsey more an internal struggle) in order to do what they feel they must, regardless of right or wrong. Not for pure knowledge, in a Mengele sense, or even so much because they can but because they feel they are the only ones who should, because they still care, which makes them better than the other ones who don't. People can do shitty things with good intentions. Does it morally absolve them? Of course not. There's a reason we say good intentions pave the road to hell.

Still in her three incarnations, the same mind leading different paths, it could be argued we see different versions of what she is capable of. Yet at the same time the comparison breaks down. The AIs are not really human and Cortana's rampancy arguably skews the results. Still I do wonder what spark of Halsey, of humanity, remains in Cortana, just as it may for all the Spartan-IIs when we consider that the military was interested in super soldiers subjected to enormous amounts of physical and mental conditioning. What, however, allowed them to retain their humanity? I cannot imagine the architects of the ORION Project wanted more than completely obedient weapons platforms but Halsey, responsible for candidate selection and much of their training, is a very good choice for what helped them remain people. Which may be the primary reason people like John don't seem to resent her.
>>
File: 1399075303786.jpg (16KB, 499x283px) Image search: [Google]
1399075303786.jpg
16KB, 499x283px
>>53103316
>Halo 3's Title screen

Every now and then I'll go back and run through the campaign or play a few matches of splitscreen with my bro, but godamn that song. Every time I hear it I have to just sit back and let it rock for a bit.
Same with Metroid Prime.
>>
>>53106714
I think Mendez is credited with their training in right and wrong, or something like that. It's an evolving lore so maybe some of this was added after Halsey turned into Hitler. Perhaps either diminishing the good she did or giving it to other characters.
>>
>>53101573

Halo 2 was shit, the enemies were fucking bullet sponges and the guns held like 10 bursts, which meant you couldn't even kill a single fucking elite without a reload.

Also anyone with a brain could tell they chopped the last level off and left us with that bullshit cliff-hanger.
>>
>>53102104

Zombies are so fucking generic they can get in anywhere. I've seen a tornado made from zombies, their ability to surprise me has long gone.
>>
>>53102434

Now that is an uncommonly large fellow.
>>
>>53099817

Please stop you sound like a massive faggot.
>>
Are we bound to never hear about S3 ever again? I know that loads of them died, but come on they can't be all dead! Hell, we know June survived and ended up supervising S4s.
>>
>>53107000
What happened to you, /tg/? You used to be cool, now you shit yourself everytime you see something you don't like instead of managing some kind of well-constructed, thoughtful counterargument. Why is your opening move always erupting into bitch tears. Why, dammit, why?

Just kidding, you were always like this.
>>
>>53106997
on account of thee
>>
>>53107000
I want the UNSC Head of Antiquated Aesthetics to leave and never return. And no, don't just sneak back over into the Destiny universe. You've done enough harm.

>>53106714
Even Cortana called out Halsey for the Spartan-II program. Then she decides the obvious best course of action is unleashing massive AI death machines.
>>
>>53107154
S3s are my favorites.

There's something about the suicide discount Spartan idea that I just dig.

>>53103316
Halo is general has great soundtracks, ODST is particularly feelsy.
>>
>>53107241
>>53107241
>Then she decides the obvious best course of action is unleashing massive AI death machines.

Rampancy is hell of a drug.
>>
File: ca69d15e0bb36277923ba68c9b148661.png (1016KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
ca69d15e0bb36277923ba68c9b148661.png
1016KB, 1280x800px
>>53107241
Bungie 101:

>Make generic scifi setting
>give humanity what look like modern weapons
>make these weapons plastic tacticool

They've been doing this since Marathon.
>>
>>53107339
That might be the spark of Halsey's humanity. Take up the Mantle to protect all of creation? Do so with massive mechanical enforcers whose very awakening fucks up multiple colonies.
>>
>>53107366
I unrionically shamelessly love it.

And I fucking love the warthog.
>>
File: bdb8809859e067506951ea4cfb8dbd15.jpg (473KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bdb8809859e067506951ea4cfb8dbd15.jpg
473KB, 1280x720px
>>53107390
At least they've managed to stay truer to themselves than, say, Blizzard. Still if we did a blind survey of "is this gun from Halo or Destiny?" the only way I think majority would get it right is whether the weapons have white white elements or are mostly drab gray.
>>
>>53107426
I've played too much Halo not to recognize them.
>>
>>53098659
XCOM
>>
>>53095184
Metroid setting is better
>>
>>53106128
If Halsey was akin to their mom, then Mendez would be akin to their dad. It's like saying you're pissed because a kid is letting mommy and daddy argue over what they think is best for them.
>>
>>53102104

Ever since 1979 when Alien made it a standard trope.
>>
>>53107000
To be fair, if you're going to make a soft scifi setting with FTL, which already means you've found a way to make physics your bitch in a way we haven't dreamed of, having bullet throwers may seem anachronistic. If you absolutely want bits of metal thrown at people rather than directed energy weaponry then rail tech is a nice choice. Whether you can practically achieve rapid fire or not, well, again if we're swallowing FTL then why not. It does, arguably, make more sense than NATO standard with updated metallurgy and chemical propellents.

This is, I think, a fair topic of discussion when Halo already gives us a reason why the Covenant, already technologically superior to humanity, have largely stagnated in their designs. They worship the Forerunners and view Forerunner tech and derived tech as holy relics and gifts. There's also two points already in the thread. The first is >>53097490 where an offshoot are actively engaged in updating or otherwise personalizing Covenant tech. The second would be >>53100004 where human AI can invade Covenant ships but nobody thought to look up their design schematics.

End of the day it doesn't really matter. Halo doesn't have to make sense in any realistic fashion. It was just a video game. Bungie knew what gameplay elements they wanted and didn't feel an overwhelming need to justify it. That's why the vast majority of their tech looks like things we could create today but it's really super advanced shit underneath.
>>
>>53107507
We have Metroid threads. Tends to involve as much wanking and arguing with the occasional "Just ignore Other M!" tossed in.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (130KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
130KB, 1920x1080px
>>53107390
My personal suspicion is that Bungie's founders watched Aliens and the Colonial Marines gave Jason Jones a hard on that hasn't softened to this very day. Never was it at its hardest than Halo's introduction of the Flood.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>53100342
The Forerunner novels were great, especially Cryptum and Silentium. They made the Flood the best space zombie assimilation plague in scifi ever.
>>
>>53107690
Sounds better than Metroid threads on /v/ these days.
>>
Its a mess. I've played the games and don't really remember much. Bungie made good games but they couldn't write to save their lives. 343 seems much the same. I thought of a way to make a Halo style RPG but it requires altering the setting to make it that there are several covenants and the 'Human Covenant' becomes the most recently created.
>>
>>53107879
>Bungie made good games but they couldn't write to save their lives.
I take it you've never played the Marathon trilogy.
>>
>>53107905
He's not missing much. Marathon plays like raw ass.
>>
>>53107905
I remember enjoying Durandal but Infinity was such a goddamn mess. "What's that? You say you'd love a sequel to Marathon 2? Haha, how about we tell it to you as a series of random time travel and alternate universe events!?" But then their long term strategizing was practically non-existent (maybe because they never knew if the company would survive to make another game). Leela got the short end of this stick. End of Marathon 1 you win and are reunited with the only AI who gave a damn about humanity and, seemingly, you as well? Haha, nope. Durandal decides to abduct you again, and a bunch of the colonists, while she's recaptured, eventually sold as scrap, and goes Rampant on such a scale that the suckers who bought her will never be able to remove her from the massive computer networks of their space empire.

It was all left pretty vague but separated from everything she cared for I always imagined she wound up as a AI equivalent of a crazy cat lady.
>>
>>53107967
>the only good-ending timeline in Marathon is the one where you get captured and brainwashed by the Pfhor
Nobody had a happy ending. Except maybe Durandal, the bastard.
>>
>>53107967
Whoops, meant "bag lady" but okay, gotta like those implied implications for the aliens that wound up stuck with her!
>>
>>53107996
I think my biggest problem with Marathon's storytelling was the way it was told via the computer terminals, however it was possible to overlook certain terminals OR not realize that terminals you already visited have changed as the level progresses, and you can still just skip to the next level. Still it was one of my favorite game series up to Deus Ex, then shit hit an all new level.
>>
Thread is almost at autosage so why not. Of the old school game series the one whose story I hated the most had to be Unreal. Everything you are sent after is fucked. Everyone you are sent after is dead. The lady who was supposed to be the Nali's Chosen One whom you chase after through a good chunk of the game mirroring her boyfriend or whatever, nope, both end up dead. Everybody's dead, Dave. Everybody's dead.

Then in Unreal 2 you could finally meet, interact with, and save people, feel like you've made a difference. They cap that off by killing off your entire crew despite whatever character development they've had. Well shit, son. There's a reason the series is best known for it's "kill 'em all" tournaments.
>>
>>53107793
Now you're making me wanna play AvP2.
>>
>>53108039
I actually quite liked that, because it felt like a reward for exploring things that wasn't just more ammunition.

Sadly, I don't think Bungie will ever do some sort of full-3D remake of the Marathon games. Even if they did, you'd have the obsessive fans who've been studying the minutiae of one terminal full of data for 23 years who will bitch that something isn't exactly perfect.

I wonder what they'll do for the 25th anniversary in a couple of years. Probably a skin for Destiny 2 or something naff like that.
>>
>>53107879
There's already a home made RPG, it's quite extensive. Managed to play it a bit and my marine just turned into Trombley from GK.
>>
>>53108127
I still remember when Marathon was considered as taking place in Halo but +200 years in the future, which never made sense, then it was like an AU.

Say what you want about Bungie, they're very environmentally conscious. They always recycle.
>>
>>53108175
>which never made sense
http://marathon.bungie.org/story/cortana.html
When Bungie pull shit like that, and Marathon (Infinity especially) rewards deep examination of its terminal messages, can you really balme people?
>>
>>53108127
>full-3D remake of the Marathon games
Shit, I still remember when Unreal was the pinnacle of video game graphics. Now I'm split between feeling impressed about how far we've progressed and feeling very very old.

>>53108123
Good choice! Though what do my tastes matter, I'm one of the few who managed to enjoy Colonial Marines if just for the aesthetic.

>>53108078
Dead Space is another kill 'em all but that's a given from the title so it never really feels egregious. Bioshock might, to a degree. Everybody is fucked up, there is no saving Rapture. You can at least save the kids but the moral choice system is so ridiculously black and white and you get better shit if you spare the kids. Shame Delta never gets to enjoy the good end he earns. Then for some reason they redo this just to kill Elizabeth but she still helps save others, soured by the way she sacrifices everything going on a rampage revenge against any Comstock that somehow survives despite Booker's sacrifice supposedly ending it. I'll be honest, I was never quite sure how the hell Bioshock Infinite was supposed to work. You're reality hopping which can fuck up the traveller's brain but sometimes people who haven't travelled can remember when they were dead in another universe...somehow.
>>
>Thanks to this slavishly loyal and humorless AI, I am now sharing cramped space with the circuitry of some hybrid war machine, itself complicated by such useless clutter as a conscience. I do not like sharing. Sharing is for children.
>when your friendly head AI spends her time badmouthing you on the internet 550-odd years before you were alive
>>
>>53106867
Halo 2 wasn't shit, and a cliff hanger mid trilogy is always the right movement
>>
>>53108268
Theoretically you could rehabilitate the Splicers since they're the result of fucking up their DNA. You could potentially use a solution that cleans up their DNA, but you'd need to tailer it to each person since they've all fucked themselves up in various ways depending on what they've injected themselves with. That's just the physical damage, though. Good luck with the mental because they're all kinds of crazy. I don't think you could reboot that with a cocktail of Adam. Though it is possible to get them to listen to reason, sort of. Worked for Sophia Lamb.
>>
>>53108338
Miranda got such a short end of the stick in 3, though. At least Johnson got to go out like he'd have wanted and left you his indestructible Warthog.
>>
>>53108338
>Halo 2 wasn't shit
The PC port was, though. Such a shame, because the Halo 1 port was actually better than the Xbox version.
>>
>>53108359
Thinking about it there wasn't much for Miranda. Her mother was Literally Hitler, her dad was delicious Flood candy.
>>
>>53104812
Or Cal too
>>53106577
Named character means shit unless it is said other wise and even then it doesn't make you superman, the only thing special about Atriox is that he is a tactical genius
>>
>>53108777
>Literally hitler
Is the world white and black in your eyes?
>>
>>53109171
To be fair to that anon 343 have turned her into literally Hitler.
>>
>>53102434
Brutes are sized from 250 to 280 cm if I remember correctly so Atriox is big.
>>
>>53101991
I'd rather just see Legolo in 40k because when the covenant first met the hunters the covies got curb stomped so hard in every ground engagement that they just threatened to orbital bomb the planet until nothing was left if the Legolo didn't surrender.

Legolo incorporated into the Tau or just getting 40k tech of their own would be interesting.
>>
>>53109177
And 343 can fuck right off.

>ruining the Pelican
>ruining the Elites
>ruining new spartans by making them dudebros.
>>
>>53107672
>where human AI can invade Covenant ships but nobody thought to look up their design schematics.
That's because they are not on the ships, and humanity could not produce the metallurgy and components to create them.
You realize the Infinity was not made by humanity, but by the Forerunners' barely sapient greasemonkies, right?
That no one actually understands HOW it works, not even Haley, but just that they can interface with it? The elites were the same way with their ships.
>>
>>53096060
>unyielding hierophant
AI too
>deep winter
>endless summer
>>
File: To Be Continued.png (43KB, 486x110px) Image search: [Google]
To Be Continued.png
43KB, 486x110px
>>53108777
>Her mother was Literally Hitler, her dad was delicious Flood candy.
>>53109177
>343 have turned her into literally Hitler.
WAIT WAIT WAITWAITWAIT WUT Halsey is Miranda Keyes mother?!
When the fuck did that happene??
>>
>>53109513
The civilian ship.
>This Side Up
>>
>>53109512
Why would the Elites lack of knowledge surprise you when they were just the same type of religious zealots as the rest of the Covenant? The Covenant didn't WANT to understand how it worked, and thanks to the Huragok they didn't NEED to understand how any of it worked. There was literally zero pressure for them to understand the technology they enjoyed.

Also humanity, even precious Halsey, not understanding it is not a huge stretch. Their multitude of "Smart" AIs, on the other hand...
>>
>>53109171
It's a reference to Halsey and how she's been portrayed in the most recent lore.

Yes, Halsey and Jacob Keyes had a bouncing baby Miranda together.
>>
>>53109569
Apparently:
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Dr._Halsey%27s_personal_journal
>>
>>53109710
Cortana received a huge data dump (snerk snerk) from Installation 04's computer system but we never really find out what it means, just that Cortana enjoyed the experience. Between that and her incorporating the firing key into herself it's pretty much assumed that the sheer amount of data she'd absorbed made her rampancy worse and also may have helped her reach metastability, although frankly we still don't know if she's really stabilized. Given her current activities, eh, probably not so much.
>>
>>53103146
He is made of nerve and steel, and has his mind concluded
This one is but flesh and faith, and is the more deluded
>>53102615
Gene "kids shouldn't mourn the dead parents and be sad about their sudden orphaning" Roddenberry
Gene "constant surveillance" Roddenberry"
Gene "of course the perfectly logical Data would allow himself to die for a maybe not even close chance of making more of him" Roddenberry
>>
>>53109710
>Their multitude of "Smart" AIs, on the other hand...
Cannot understand technological foundations 2 epochs ahead of them. They can work the microwave, but they can't build the microwave.
>>53109775
>prepares to be upset
>is only mildly upset
Also
>tfw the 2 threads that you have been following for a few days and were full of happy people waxing about a loved series are both autosaging and near page 10
>to be replaced with more nattering bullshit, X wat do trash, 40k edition warring
I love this thread, but I hate it only reminds me how awful this board is, and other boards are only worse, somehow.
>>
>>53109849
>Cannot understand technological foundations 2 epochs ahead of them.
You act as if the Forerunner are that technologically advanced. It might be believable if we hadn't met them. That was the worst mistake in Halo.

>They can work the microwave, but they can't build the microwave.
This is disingenuous. You act as if everything from the anti-gravity to the light switches would somehow be so advanced they couldn't comprehend them. The Forerunner are more staggering in the scale at which they operated, however unless they're operating on vastly different laws of physics it is unlikely that they would truly have no understanding.

Anyway your understanding of the Infinity's construction seems rather off. Construction began before the end of the war, it was in fact intended to help end it but wasn't complete in time. It contains a large amount of REVERSE ENGINEERED Forerunner technological applications. It wasn't just built as a giant socket for a bunch of Forerunner shit to be inserted into. Even the Engines are based on Forerunner designs but had to created using human technology.
>>
>>53109962
I'd like to think more of it as someone has the schematics but lack the tools so they have to build the tools needed for building said item on the schematic.
>>
>>53110075
Always seemed like the foundations of Forerunner tech was well established and understood but it was the scope on which they deployed it. But then they relied on massive fleets of Sentinels.

I think the key technology they have that nobody else has employed is teleportation. Theoretically with that you could turn energy into matter (something Stargate employed as a plot device on several occasions, often to create technology they didn't necessarily understand and didn't need to as long as something else built it). With Dyson Spheres they would have obnoxious amounts of energy to create with.

Another key problem to duplicating Forerunner technology, as I understand it, is when designs and technology required materials and applications that are currently beyond human capacity to duplicate. Say, for instance, that a specific technology must be built with a Mark VII Widget but humanity only has comparable to the Mark III Widget they can't even make the Mark VII which requires a Mark VI. In other words they don't just need to know current (for lack of a better word) Forerunner technology but they may need the historical record of how they eventually achieved that technology to recreate the steps necessary to copy it.
>>
>>53109962
>You act as if the Forerunner are that technologically advanced. It might be believable if we hadn't met them. That was the worst mistake in Halo.
I can agree with this in that Covenant technology, derived from the Forerunner technology and sometimes outright duplicates or even the original pieces of technology they've found (like High Charity), are quite different from when we actually meet Forerunners in the form of the Prometheans.
>>
>>53110216
>Mark VII Widget but...
Okay I think a better way of explaining the point than that mess is imagine dropping a modern handgun in the hands of the most learned men of the 16th Century. I sincerely doubt that there is anything they couldn't figure out in terms of operation and even, to a fair extent, perhaps even materials construction. Still they won't be able to duplicate it with their level of tools and machinery. It would be different than dropping a microchip in their laps. Good luck with that, fellas.

Humanity and especially the Covenant already have access to much of the basics of Forerunner technology, but the Forerunner still do it bigger and better. Humanity would struggle to create passable imitations with their far more limited means. But they were also in the middle of a major interstellar war. Desperation may make them try things they otherwise wouldn't but it also stresses their resources and how many of their best and brightest they can spare to projects.
>>
The Lekgolo is such an underrated species.
>>
>>53111104
Absolutly, I love that they are getting more time to shine in wars. Also how bi imagine the Slaught from 40k fighting
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.