[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Simple and easy RPGs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: 1490030028865.jpg (48KB, 853x772px) Image search: [Google]
1490030028865.jpg
48KB, 853x772px
Yesterday my group and I played Star Wars D20 (our first try with a D20 system) and it took an hour and a half to make the bloody characters. Afterwards, we ended just ignoring habilities and feats because only the DM (I) had read the whole rulebook anyway. We still had fun, but the rules sucked.

So... could you recommend some SIMPLE and EASY rules, where rolling a new character takes just a few minutes? We usually play Basic Dungens and Dragons, if that helps.
>>
>>53092730
Have you tried D1? It's this new barebones system that is really well presented.
>>
>>53092730
Dungeon World is a decent "babies first ttrpg". But its very limited and requires a bit of skill on the part of the GM. Also recommend D&D 5E since its simple enough but has many more options than something like Dungeon World.
>>
>>53092756
Google gave me nothing. Could you pass me a link or something?
>>
>>53092730
Pretty much every system with any reasonable amount of mechanics will take a while to make a character the first time or two around.
>>
>>53092730
mini six barebones
>>
>>53092730
It seems like you guys simply don't want to put the effort in to learn a ruleset. No ruleset can solve this for you. You need to all sit down and read the rule book and not only will character creation NOT take an hour and a half the game will run smoother.

Any game that's as easy as you want will be lacking in any mechanics at all. It will be less a game and more just improve.
>>
>>53092730
Barbarians of Lemuria is pretty cool, if you like Conan-style swords & sorcery. Instead of futzing around with a bunch of individual skills, each character just has a few careers. If you have 2 ranks in thief, for instance, then you get a +2 bonus to do anything related to thieves. It's an elegant way to do things, and since you only start out with 4 points to divide (and don't gain new ones at any great speed), it keeps things pretty simple.

Other than that, each character has 4 points to divide between 4 attributes (strength, agility, mind, appeal), and 4 points to divide between 4 combat abilities (initiative, melee, ranged, defense) -- they can range from -1 to 3 to start out with. You roll 2d6 + an attribute + a relevant career rank (mostly outside of combat) or combat ability (inside combat).

Additionally, each character selects a boon from a small list for the region where they grew up. (You can get an additional boon by selecting a flaw, but you don't have to allow this, if you want to keep things simple. Hell, things would run fine if you wanted to skip boons entirely.) Boons often let you roll 3d6 and take the two highest dice (instead of 2d6) when doing related tasks. Like, if you have Beast Friend, you roll an extra die when dealing with animals.

It's a very minimalist system, that should be easy for your players to grasp.

>Barbarians of Lemuria,Mythic Edition (current edition) -- https://www.mediafire.com/folder/7llc83r2xf8bg/Barbarians_of_Lemuria_-_Mythic_Edition

>Barbarians of Lemuria, Legendary Edition (earlier edition, shorter but not as refined) --http://www.mediafire.com/download/p5w885sa9a869ma/Barbarians+Of+Lemuria+-+Legendary+Edition.pdf

>Barbarians of Lemuria, House Rules / Patches for Legendary Edition (if you want minimalism of Legendary, but with the rules tightened up) -- https://mega.co.nz/#F!CtQR2bST!y_awB-GHCiL3CdK4iLCV7A
>>
File: BoL armor.png (66KB, 784x368px) Image search: [Google]
BoL armor.png
66KB, 784x368px
>>53092935
One caveat about BoL is that heavy armor can get a bit out of hand. It's not necessarily unbalanced, as wearing heavy armor gives you a penalty to your agility, but it means that both you and your opponent won't inflict much damage (them, because they will do very little damage, and you because you'll have trouble hitting them). I would suggest ignoring helmets, and maybe even dropping heavy armor (see bottom table in pic; top table is the RAW).
>>
>>53092730
You want simple and easy? Go Risus or Awesomesauce. They don't get much easier.
>>
Gurps Ultra-Lite.

It's a single page.
>>
>>53092730
If you like action movies, Feng Shui might be worth a try.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.