[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hex v square

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 20170304_123025.jpg (116KB, 526x684px) Image search: [Google]
20170304_123025.jpg
116KB, 526x684px
Ok, /tg/ I need a hand. I'm working on a really weird homebrew with extremely spacial combat. Lots of small movements and area of effect attacks.

So should I use hex grid or square grid for mapping combat? I know it's a small distinction, but once I get started there's no changing it, I'll have to start all over. So which do you prefer and why? What are the strengths and weaknesses of either? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>53078094
Square for indoors, hex for outdoors.
>>
>>53078118
I see where you're going with that, but I can't really use both because of all the AOE. I'd have to make every weapon twice. Are you saying perhaps that hex is better in general, but square is good for architecture and map design?
>>
hex is better because you have more ways to move, which means more options. with square you can't do round area of effect.
>>
File: vertex - square.png (89KB, 1058x794px) Image search: [Google]
vertex - square.png
89KB, 1058x794px
>>53078094
Have you tried triangles and vertexes? Anyone can stand on a triangle or vertex, but standing too close imparts penalties of its own.
>>
>>53078427
pic only slightly related: this is vertexes and squares, which doesn't work out as well for small movement.
>>
>>53078427
Ok, so you stand on a vertex and move along the lines?
>>
>>53078094
FLAT PLANE
AND A RULER.

Think about it.

A character can move X inches or X centimeters per round.

No longer a need to do mental gymnastics around making AOE work.
>>
>>53078150
>but I can't really use both because of all the AOE
Can you tell us more about that? Wouldn't an AOE just be a number of spaces out from a point?
Even with print-outs, it should be easy enough to draw both kinds of gridlines on the same shape.
>>
>>53078150
Squares are good for environments that take place in structured hallways or narrow passages, such as caves, dungeons, and buildings. It's also good for tracking 3D movement since squares can easily be converted to cubes without sacrificing the nature of the grid.

Hexes are good for exact movement (so you avoid the whole "moving diagonal costs an extra move" situation) and is better for tracking the size of an AoE. They're also good for designing world maps as well.
>>
Hexes are generally better, squares are way more common.
>>
>>53079871
I suppose that's an important detail. I'm giving melee weapons a aoe based on how they swing, meaning it's not just "x spaces out" or "y foot line" It would be more like three spaces horizontally in front of the character, or a cross shape 1 space ahead. Weird stuff. That's why I need to choose hex or square before I start. That's why the ruler idea doesn't help much either.
>>
>>53080091
Meant to reply to
>>53079888 but whatever.
>>
>>53079926
hexes are significantly easier to convert to cube math, unless you meant indoor elevation and floors but I still think they're about equal in terms of practicality.
>>
File: example.png (457KB, 640x1200px) Image search: [Google]
example.png
457KB, 640x1200px
>>53080091
If that's the case you are most likely going to want to use squares. It's a shame though that you can't use a graphical representation for both types of grid however. See pic related.

The two grids aren't that different.
>>
>>53080823
Ideally I'd just use transparencies, but that could get expensive....oh shit. OH WAIT WHAT IF I USE BLANK TRANSPARENCY SHEETS AND ADD THE MOVES WITH DRY ERASE! OH THAT'S PERFECT!
>>
>>53080989
Taking a note from elementary school projectors, are we?
>>
>>53081840
The answer had been right in front of me the whole time.
>>
>>53082686
I would enjoy DMing with a projector, goddamn.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.