[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is immortality a curse? Wouldn't you want to see everything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 32

File: 1493530435808.png (611KB, 693x693px) Image search: [Google]
1493530435808.png
611KB, 693x693px
Why is immortality a curse? Wouldn't you want to see everything that will happen in the current universe?
>>
>>53076650
People get up their own ass about it. Pay them no mind.
>>
Sour grapes.
>>
Something about never being able to spend your golden years with loved ones, but I would assume someone trying to obtain immortality isn't one for such Earthly pleasures.
>>
>>53076650
Because those authors just like the rest of us experience existential dread when they think about their own mortality. But instead of accepting how much it sucks that they are mortal, they try to argue that not dying is actually a bad thing as a way to appease their own thoughts and put that dread at bay.

It's bullshit. People may not want to live "forever" but they probably do want to live indefinitely. When the majority of these people are 65 they're going to want to live to be 66. When they're 66 they'll want to be 67, etc.
>>
Because the chances of dementia increase with age. The deal was you live forever. Nothing about that means "you're sane forever".
>>
>>53076650
A) Even "lifelong" relationships are doomed to be short to you and B) the heat-death of the universe is a thing.
>>
>>53076650
>Be able to fuck girls that are more than probable related to you
Man, if I were immortal I would be Genghis 2.0
>>
everyone is already immortal though, we wipe memories upon physical death and reincarnate.
>>
>>53076650
Well it sucks watching your friends and family pass away while you remain, but on the other hand you'll have more friends and family than anyone else.
>>
>>53076650
>Why is immortality a curse?
People sour grapes, consolling themselves for their own mortality.

>muh everyone will leave me
So...? You will lose a lot of loved ones in your life. Nothing stops you from meeting more people.

>I would get bored
There is literally infinite content in the world. And more content is done everyday. You would only get bored if you wanted.

It's only bad depending on the type of immortality, as in 'lol you are immortal but you age'.
>>
>>53076650
Shit gets boring after a while, and you eventually end up with no friends you can really relate to. Plus, you keep having to meet with the devil at this one shitty pub every century and he always makes you pay for the bill.
>>
>>53076929
thank you, no one gets how weird it would be to float from the metal hearts of dead suns for eternity. Time spent in the current universe would seem like a minute in comparison.
>>
>>53076650
Because immortality usually only extends to yourself, not those you care about. Because sometimes you can still be ripped apart and just have to live on as a cripple, forever. Because eventually the world might be destroyed and you will be stuck in the void forever. Hell.

>Wouldn't you want to see everything that will happen in the current universe?
No that sounds boring as fuck. I'd rather shoot myself in the head right now if I had to pick between the two.
>>
>>53076650
I HATE YOU CHUCK

I HATE YOU AND YOUR STUPID FUCKING MADE UP BULLSHIT ILLNESS

JIMMY SHOULD HAVE YOU FUCKING COMMITTED YOU FREAK

AND THEY SHOULD FUCKING LOCK YOU IN A ROOM MADE OF FLUORESCENT BULBS
>>
File: big_1423069677_image.jpg (80KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
big_1423069677_image.jpg
80KB, 1280x720px
>>53076650
>live too long
>can't maintain all your memories
>have to pick and choose what memories you want to keep, write them down and repeat them to have any remembrance of your past
>>
>>53077040
>Because immortality usually only extends to yourself, not those you care about.
You will outlive your parents. Sorry anon.

>No that sounds boring as fuck.
Because you lack imagination. I could spend my entire life watching movies and I'm sure I could never finish watching half of the worthwhile ones.
>>
>>53077058
Soothe your boobs. You know Jimmy wins in the end. He's practicing law in BB, so Chuck's disbarment scheme obviously doesn't work out. And there's no trace of Chuck in BB, so that means he's either dead, committed, or just disowned from Jimmy and slowly withering away in his home, all alone.
>>
>>53076650
Because our generation is incredibly cynical
>>
>>53076961
/thread
>>
>>53076650
Human psychology is built on novelty.
Take away novelty and you lose your reason to live.
>>
>>53076650
You know how people complain about being bored even when there is a shit load of things they could be doing? They are the ones who bitch about immortallity as a curse
>>
>>53076650
No one would, to be frank.

Why live a life that exists only to exist? If you're temporally bound, you at least have your legacy to work towards. When your lifespan is literally infinite, you're stuck in an infinite regression where there are simply a finite number of experiences, and after you've had experiences beyond human conception, for all intents and purposes you cease being human. You're a victim of profound entropy, and you'll live long enough to watch everything you've ever cared about die 10,000 times over.
>>
>>53077365
>Why live a life that exists only to exist
Ego
>>
>>53077336
Isn't this pretty much the opposite of true? The human mind is exellent at handling routine. Even if this was't the case noone is taking away novelty?
>>
>>53077391
This is the fallacy, because after an eternity you're destined to grow and have a deeper, more profound understanding of the aeons, which would lead to a humble approach to solving problems. Really, only a megalomaniac sociopath could possibly enjoy any aspect of immortality after they've experienced their third, fourth, tenth cycle of human life.
>>
File: 1454888904341.png (201KB, 478x562px) Image search: [Google]
1454888904341.png
201KB, 478x562px
>>53076650
You will outlive everyone you know and love.
You will outlive humanity.
You will outlive the earth.
You will outlive the sun.
You will outlive this galaxy.
You will outlive the entire known universe.
You will outlive existence itself.

On the one hand there's barely living a century, on the other hand there's spending an amount of time comparable to earth's age in pain and agony, floating through the empty vacuum of space where you can't even scream to relieve yourself.

Immortality is a curse I wouldn't even wish upon my worst enemies, it's a torture far crueler than mankind. The only 'good' kind of immortality is the Tolkien elf kind where you can't die of old age but everything else can still kill you.
>>
>>53077358

Yeah I don't know how anybody can be bored in this day and age.

I think the only curse of immortality would be if all things ceased to be and you were just floating around aimlessly in the void of space, but you'd hope with all that time you could work out a solution to that.
>>
>>53077365
>Why live a life that exists only to exist?
Why do you climb a mountain? Because it exists.
Existing is enough of a reason.
>>
>>53077365
that's nonsense
>>
>>53077395
Sheer probability says by the time you hit 200 you will have seen every possible human experience you could possibly have. Shit, people stop having sex in their 40s because it's boring
>>
>>53077419
in the worst case scenario your brain would probably just shut down after some time
>>
>>53077115
You are an idiot. Comparing 'you might lose most of the people you know before you die' to 'you will outlive everyone. Forever' is simply stupid. You will never meet a person who will live even a fragment of what you will live.

You're weird if you could enjoy yourself watching movies every day for more than a week. There's something wrong with your brain.
>>
>>53077420
>>53077420
Wrong. You don't climb a mountain simply because it exists, you climb a mountain for the experience of climbing a mountain, for the thrill of reaching a peak, for the legacy of accomplishing something. Once you've climbed the greatest mountain, all others pale in comparison and ring hollow. Once you've climbed every mountain, even if a new mountain burst forth from the ocean, you'd feel apathetic towards it unless there's some intrinsic newness you want to experience in a philosophical sense. Existing is reason enough to exist for the being that is not aware of its being, but for the being that has ascended to eternity, after the thrill of corporeality has worn off, you're left empty and devoid of purpose when you need it the most. What gives you the will to exist beyond simply existing when there is no danger in sustaining your existence? If the answer is nothing, or that existence is self sustaining, you'll simply sit in once spot and watch the universe die, which sounds more like a punishment than a gift.
>>
>>53077455
Is this opposite day or are you pulling my leg? "every possible human experience" in 200 years? Are you saying that 25% percent of all people live identical lives? also old people have TONS of sex, nursery homes are like a high school without social anxiety.
>>
I'd like to see myself as a living archive within 100,000's of years

How would the government react noticing you being alive that long

im autistic and I think of these scenarios when im in the shower
>>
>>53077468
Look, everyone you know will die some day. Some of them you'll manage to outlive, others not. Outliving some doesn't stop you from enjoying your life, so neither would outliving everyone.
>>
>>53077478
Not true. I have eaten a great meal, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying other meals even if they're not as good.
>>
>>53076650
Eternal youth and immunity to disease would be great
Being completely invincible would not not be great at all, you'd inevitably end up stuck on your own forever somehow
>>
>>53077617
Exactly, because you're limited temporally in what you can enjoy. If you had every great meal throughout human history, you'd stop enjoying "normal" meals, and kitche value wears off pretty quickly. You'd only continue to enjoy meals if you had some sort of meaning associated with eating them, like sampling a chef's particular art, or the nuances associated with that meal. Eternity is a long time, and matter only has a finite number of arrangements. It's reasonable to assume that in 100 Billion years you've eaten every combination of matter possible, and in doing so, you reduce the experience of "eating" to a mechanical action of nostalgia.
>>
Depends on setting.
If an afterlife exists then you're bottling yourself out of infinite pleasure.
If no afterlife exists you are probably not really immortal as you crumble apart with the rest of baryonic matter a few quintillion years down the road.
If you are still immortal to the point of outlasting the decay of baryonic matter, then you're going to be alone for a very, very long time until a new universe is generated around you if spontaneous matter generation is a thing.
>>
>>53077468
>You are an idiot. Comparing 'you might lose most of the people you know before you die' to 'you will outlive everyone.
What's the difference? You can still outlive everyone you know. You could go with them for a trip, an accident happens and all your friends and family die except yourself. Too bad, time to kill yourself I guess?

>You will never meet a person who will live even a fragment of what you will live.
Yeah, people totally think 'I will probably outlive this person' before deciding to make a friend.

>You're weird if you could enjoy yourself watching movies every day for more than a week.
Yeah, because if I gave you an example it means only doing that example. The point is that there are like unlimited activities in the whole world for you to do. It's only limited by your imagination.
>>
Immortality means watching everything you ever loved die around you. Not just everyone, everything.

Two hundred years from now you'll wake up and realize you're living in a completely different country with values and politics completely unlike yours, in a society that bears no resemblance to the one you grew up in. All your favorite childhood activities will be forgotten. All your favorite places to see and visit will be gone.

In two thousand years, human society will be entirely incomprehensible compared to what you were raised with. You won't even speak the same language or eat the same food. In all likelihood, none of the skills you grew up with will matter anymore. In twenty thousand years, it'll be so different it'll be like dwelling among aliens. In two hundred thousand years, you might not recognize the human species. Two million, and you won't recognize almost any animals. Twenty million, and you won't recognize the kinds of animals that exist. Two hundred million, and you won't even recognize the world.

Now think about how upset the average fa/tg/uy gets when someone messes with Warhammer 40K lore.
>>
>>53076908
This.

Everyone wants to be immortal, people just come up with shitty excuses on how that would be bad with stuff like "muh see everyone die" and "muh time perception" to try to convince themselves.
>>
>>53076650
Because you won't go see the universe.

What are you doing right now, OP? You're posting on a board about random hypothetical Why aren't you seeing the world, OP? Because it's expensive. Because it'd be a lot of work. Because you're planning to do it tomorrow.

How often do you sit around bored, OP? Why not go learn a new skill? See someplace new? Meet strangers?

Because it's easier to be bored and do nothing. Gaining immortality doesn't make all these things less true. Infact, with an infinite lifespan you're likely to get worse. "Visit Antartica? Sounds neat. I'll get to it next century."

Being immortal just means being bored and lazy for eternity.
>>
>>53076650
>why is existance a curse?

Fuck, it's summer already?
>>
>>53077682
No food tastes good. Hence I want to eat it. If I'm around for eternity I'm going to forget the details of the different high quality foods I've eaten and have the sensation rush back then next time I eat it. Or be disappointment cause I remember it tasting better. Such is life. Regardless I'm going to enjoy sitting around eating a hot bowl of minute noodles on a rainy day.
>>
>>53077929
I am seeing the world though. I also have bills to pay so I can't go on vacation every second of my life
>>
>>53077858
But you'll change too, along with the world
>>
>>53076908
+1 this.
You can imagine scenarios where you would WANT to die, but you probably hope you don't die today, so the real curse is having no choice in the matter.
>>
>>53076650

Anything taken to an extreme becomes a curse. Life is no exception.
>>
>>53077284
"Immortality wouldn't be all that" has been a moral since AT LEAST since humanity developed writing, what with it being the final message OF LITERALLY THE OLDEST TEXT EVER FOUND, the Epic of Gilgamesh.
>>
>>53077111
This is so fucking true. I mean, I'm troubled trying to remember two years of events and people, and I've barely lived ten times that long.
>>
>>53078120
Gilgamesh wasn't against living forever, he was against being the lover of the Ishtar because she was an arbitrary bitch who would make his life suffering the moment he fell out of her favor
>>
>>53078120
I always figured the message of TEoG as being pragmatic than anything. "Immortality would be great, but consider that if it takes a lifetime to search for you just might end up wasting your whole life for it when you could instead invest in the people around you and creating a legacy that will outlive you anyway."
>>
>>53078158
In the end of the story he accepts that the snake got away with immortality instead of him and, upon gazing on the walls of Uruk, realizes that eternal glory will be all the immortality he needs (and lo and behold, some 7000 years later we still think of him as a hero).
>>
>>53078120
Rejection of immortality is the ultimate sour grape. No one has it, no one can have it and no one will ever have it, so people come up with lots of reasons and justifications why they wouldn't want it anyway. But they all secretly covet it, even in denial. Because what is the affirmation of immortality other than the affirmation of life itself?
>>
>>53076650

Sour grapes. You ever notice how the only people who call immortality a curse aren't immortal? Makes you think, doesn't it?
>>
>>53078190
Thats Gilgamesh accepting mortality and making the best of it, not stating that immortality is a curse. Which is admirable and sensible moral given the inevitability of death for everyone at the time but immortality would still be awesome.
>>
Living beyond your loved once will be hell the first extra 50 years over 85, when you see your great grandchildren die.
But eventually you'll have no real connection to anyone for the long term.
You'll become a god quite obviously eventually.
Form your own living religion, end all wars eventually.
Thousands of years later humanity will explore other galaxies, thanks to you.
>>
I love how it's the people who get most fiery about how, if they were immortal, they'd live a life of "eternal journeying, eternal discovery, eternal growth!" and all that rhetoric almost always tend to be the people who've thus far spent the vast majority of their lives sitting in front of a computer doing nothing of importance and would likely continue to do so indefinitely if given the choice.

Newsflash: you don't need to be immortal for all of those things. Or at least, you don't HAVE to be. You can have plenty of discovery, journeying and growth right now, right the way you are. Join Doctors Without Borders, go volunteer somewhere, join the army, join a monastery, start a band, learn an art, learn to cook, open a business, buy a one way plane ticket to Nepal, start walking South and don't stop until you reach Mexico, build a boat and sail it, start reading philosophy, start writing poetry, adopt a kid, leave your fucking apartment.

But you'd much rather keep watching anime and pretending immortality's what stopping you.
>>
>>53078190

Theres something really satisfying about the fact that the oldest story to survive through the ages is the one that ends with "my story is my immortality"
>>
>Everlasting life
>Regular human memory

You can hardly remember details from a decade ago. Being immortal without any other guarantees basically just makes you a homunculus
>>
>>53078257
You being immortal would be noticed you know.
>Hey this guy still look like 25
If you don't reveal yourself to the public, you will get locked up and tested on in secret.
>>
>>53078257
The idea is generally that, given an infinite amount of time, they'll be able to *eventually* get around to doing all those amazing things.

Anons being what they are though it's far more likely it'll just place them in a loop of infinite procrastination and they'd spend eternity doing nothing.
>>
>>53076650
Yeah, let's live past the lifespan of our earth, the solar system and eventually the universe. What happens to you in a trillion, trillion years?
>>
>>53078257
Or you know, they have done some of those things, enjoy doing them, want to do them forever without the constraint of physical harm stopping them from doing the really crazy stuff or from the financial burden of living comfortably when you eventually do have to return home getting in the way. Immortality removes plenty of constraints from the dream of adventure.
>>
>>53078307
There's a joke saying among students in my country (it also sounds funny in my native language) that translates to something like "give a student two weeks for a project, you've given them 13 days to procrastinate. Give a student two months for a project, you've given them 59 days to procrastinate."
>>
>>53078312
Dream.
>>
>>53077002

Yea but come on.
Dude's got some kick ass stories, and being able to say 'go home Satan, you're drunk', is worth picking up the tab.
>>
>>53078293
I still remember stuff from my early childhood.
Doesn't matter if I don't remember the details.
I was on a boat, I was off the boat, we walked on ice.
This other time around 5 years old I threw a snowball in my sisters face, my father laughed about it, sister cried.
I have many memories like this they're all visual and mute. But I constantly remind myself of these random memories, I even have memories of me remembering them.
>>
File: itll-happen-to-you.png (312KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
itll-happen-to-you.png
312KB, 500x363px
>>53078050
The world will change way faster than you.
>>
>>53078050
Did you read the last sentence of my post? People don't adapt to change very well. Seriously, think about any time someone's changed a favorite piece of pop culture - one single piece of one tiny fraction of the human experience. Yet so many people freak out about it.

The future is Age of Sigmar. Forever.
>>
>>53078383
I don't mind changes to stuff, don't even understand why people get so angry about them. The original still exist doesn't it?
>>
>>53076650
It comes from a Christian mentality, to live forever means you can never live with God. It carried over but the reasoning was forgotten.
>>
>>53078337
And then what? Forever is a very long time. Even if you didn't go nuts from floating in a void for eternity you'd get really, really bored. The only hope you'd have is if your mind shuts down or you know how to enter your own dreams and stay there.
>>
>>53078257
>people who have to toil 8 hrs/day + sleep 8 hrs/day (for health) + spend 2 hrs/day getting to and from work don't use the remaining 6 hrs a day for ebin adventures

Who'd a thought?

And while the Army is pretty rad, just plain being a hobo sounds gay as hell.
>>
>>53077411
>You will outlive existence itself.
If you haven't figured out how to become God and create a new reality at your whim by that point in time. Then you're really shit.
>>
>>53078403
I'm honestly just using an example I think most people here can relate to. If that doesn't make your skin crawl, and there's no other media examples which would bother you, then imagine whichever one you hate more between /pol/ or tumblr winning the culture war and eventually society shifting so that their most extreme fringe is considered moderate.
>>
>>53077411
>existence will end meme
>>
>>53077858
Sounds pretty neato.

Presumably, somewhere in that time frame will be every permutation of D&D, 40k, et cetera that will ever be. Playable Alchemical Patropoli may even become a thing. There may even be a new edition of Dark Sun and Spelljammer. etc.
>>
>>53078257
But what if i want to be immortal just so i can keep doing nothing forever?
>>
>>53077411
>existence
Nothing can't be.
or
Something has to be.
"Nothingness" is the only thing that is truly impossible.
A void is still something.
>>
>>53076650
Well if it's perfect there's no problem aside from what you leave behind. But even a perfect eternal body might have a fallible mind, even if the physical aspect of the brain is fine it won't necessarily protect you from madness and ennui.
>>
>>53078438
See, that's the thing you don't get. You only live longer. You don't get any smarter. That requires hard work and effort and all the reasons why you're not out there making something out of yourself and instead sitting on 4chan complaining about age. You're probably going to get some kicks but in the end you're going to realize that after humanity has kicked the bucket there won't be any internet to masturbate to. Being immortal will give you time but more likely than not you'll waste it doing the same old shit as before. Go out there and figure it out now instead of hoping humanity will do the work for you.
>>
>>53077890
Got to agree there bud. People lost those closest all the time. I have personally and i can say that you get over it. If you don't its probably something on your end.
>>
>>53078050
You can do that right now, yet odds are (statistically speaking, being on /tg/) you are currently bitter and angry at the directions politics, society and your hobby of choice are going. It's easier to talk about being infinitely adeptable than it is to actually accept change.
>>
>>53076929
>heat death of the Universe
Entropy must always increase, but the maximum entropy that can fit inside a given volume depends on its size, and the Universe is expanding. While adaptations will be necessary, it now seems likely it's always possible for life and civilization to exist by extracting energy from that expansion.

"Heat death" was based on naive understanding of physics.
>>
Are there any books or movies about someone with immortality?
As in protagonist has some form of immortality?
>>
>>53078257
Basically. Immortality might be awesome in the hands of a decent human being. Give it to the average neckbeard and he'll just spend every day for the rest of eternity going "meh, I'm sure tomorrow I'll feel like going on an adventure, for today I'll sleep and masturbate"
>>
Boredom
Your hobbies will get stale after a few hundred years, then you'll have to move onto the next one. Eventually you'll run out of things to do, and then what? Depression and boredom for all eternity.
>>
>>53078684
I've played CS for 3000 hours.
Still find it fun.
Boredom is a lie, just like you never get bored of sex.
Sure you might do things less.
Unless writer imbues you with bullshit to fit his narrative, like brain getting numb. What kind of immortality is that, where your brain can get dazed?
True immortality should make it easier for you to forever enjoy stuff, cause you can't get addicted. If you know anything about addiction you'd see what I mean.
>>
>>53078664
Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne is pretty dope.
>>
>>53078684
It'll take me AT LEAST 2000 years to get through my backlog.
And that's just the stuff I have now. Who knows what shit will come out later.
>>
>>53078733
>just like you never get bored of sex.

I see someone's never had any.
Sex gets old fast, especially with the same chick
>>
>>53078766
sex as in getting orgasm
Getting old affects it, if you didn't get old, your libido would forever be at your prime.
You see what I mean?
Immortality includes all aspects of your biology.
Brain will always respond to stuff like the first time you experienced it.
>>
There's a difference between able to not die and being unable to die.
People are thinking about the latter when they say immortality is a curse, and they're right.
>>
>>53077807
The difference is that you're taking a chance vs knowing that no matter what, you will never meet somebody that you wont see wither away. They get old. You stay young. How are you going to remember them? When you have met a million people, how can you tell the ones in your memories apart? The people you love will lose their importance, you wont be able to love anybody the same way anymore. Unless you get some kind of magical memory enhancement with immortality. But then you might as well have an ability that says "you will always have fun".

You're probably not gonna enjoy every single thing you can do unless you're completely retarded. Then we're left with activities that are normally enjoyed by humans. Are you truly gonna have fun with all of these? I know that there's several sports, genres of movies etc. that I do not enjoy, and most people have these kind of preferences.
>>
>>53076650
>You will watch your loved ones pass away
this is a fucking given but its important to note
>As you get older so does how fast you perceive time passing. Centuries would pass like minutes for you after a certain point rendering you unable to have even something resembling a normal relationship with someone
>There is a VERY VERY REAL CHANCE you will get stuck some where, like a building will fall on you or you get trapped in a sink hole. unable to die you'll just sit there for god knows how long, possibly never escaping.
>if that doesn't happen you will live to see the death of mankind anyways, leaving you alone on a lifeless planet
>when the universe eventually collapses in on itself you would be unable to truly perceive anything with your human brain. your entire existence would devolve into an existential nightmare.

Forever is a long fucking time m8, try to keep that in mind
>>
>>53078733
>>53078750
>only 12 day worth of playtime
Are you sure you wouldn't start to get bored after the first couple years of consistent play.
besides, I'm sure after the first thousand years, videogames as a concept would start to lose their luster.
>>
The loved ones dying argument is so stupid.
It's not like you can't get new ones and you'll eventually forget the old ones just like every failed relationship in your life.
More importantly though
>having people to love
>>
>>53078812
>>53078795
Learn how numbness works.
You get a thing, it gives you a sensation, next time you need more of that thing for same sensation.
This wouldn't happen if you were true immortal.
Every time you drink alcohol will affect you as if it was the first time you had alcohol.
Same thing with anything.
Everything that makes you excited now will forever excite you.
>>
File: rick-sanchez.jpg (80KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
rick-sanchez.jpg
80KB, 600x500px
>>53076650
Because as ennui and the absurdity of existence crushes you, and as you realize that the ephemeral nature of all other life and your inability to connect to it in a meaningful way, you will lose the desire and ambition for anything other than prurient pleasure as a coping mechanism for dealing with the eternal pain and agony of your own existence.

Basically, imagine Rick Sanchez, except a hundred times worse and nowhere near as smart.

Wubalubadubdub
>>
>>53078797
The problem is that the sort of person who'd want to be immortal in the first place is also the type who'll never have the courage to say "this much life is enough."
>>
>>53078834
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>53078844
>>53078812
Plus.
There's the argument your brain can only hold certain amount of data.
Eventually your brain will delete complete memories, so you remembers fractions of this game here, but you've forgotten the complete story = old experiences becomes new.
>>
File: IMG0001.jpg (1002KB, 1256x1786px) Image search: [Google]
IMG0001.jpg
1002KB, 1256x1786px
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/the_immortal_who_saw_the_death_of_the_universe_first_part
>>
>>53076650
Becouse it's based on our experience of immortality op: evolution through reprodution. Our immortality has cycles, birth - reproduction - death, in which we pass informations to a new vessel by genetics. A painful way, so it is why we think it's a curse to begin with.
>>
>>53076650
The same reason some people consider living a curse

depression
>>
>>53076908
>When the majority of these people are 65 they're going to want to live to be 66. When they're 66 they'll want to be 67, etc.
You haven't met many people past the age of sixty, have you? A lot of them are at peace with their mortality.
>>
>>53078953
Cause they're old.
They're forced to.
Imagine if they have the minds and bodies of someone who's 25, but with same experiences, and the knowledge that you can't die (for some reason).
Would they then ever say...
>ok today I can die
>>
>>53078929
Well that writer seems to have forgotten that a black hole would be a blessing.
Cause time goes infinitely fast there.
They'd skip right to the end of the universe.
>>
>>53078211
>>53078223
>>53076809
>>53076976
Getting a strong sense of samefag
>>
>>53078983
>Cause they're old.
>They're forced to.
You have no way to prove that it isn't just the consequence of living that long, rather than being "forced" to.

>Imagine if they have the minds and bodies of someone who's 25, but with same experiences, and the knowledge that you can't die (for some reason).
>Would they then ever say...
>>ok today I can die
I imagine they would, yes.
>>
>>53079043
>samefag
This is me: >>53076976
Maybe multiple people think that immortality blues is just the whine of someone who can't cope with his own mortality?
>>
>>53079089
You can't fool me grapefag
>>
>>53076961
If that is the case how is the world population increasing than faggot?
>>
>>53079180
At least a billion people are just NPC tier blanks or are the same soul split into multiple bodies. Or all the souls are being sent back to take their part in the endtimes
>>
>>53076650
Ah, the young and their ignorance. Enjoy it.

>>53076665
>>53076809
>>53076908
So much youth and foolishness. To be expected.
>>
File: 1362510438071.jpg (135KB, 807x861px) Image search: [Google]
1362510438071.jpg
135KB, 807x861px
>>53078257
>join the army

This is a meme right?
Have your entire day controlled by some superior whose only virtue is joining before you. And you have to lick up to them and at least bear with them.
Have irregular work hours, re-locate regularly.

Only morons who have nothing else to do join the army , thinking by doing so they will get some respect by the general populance.

As for the patriotic side of it, no thanks. I dont want to die for the wishes of some rich fucks that decides which internevtions are necessary to keep the cash flowing.
>>
>>53077455
>people stop having sex at 40

What a sad life you live anon
>>
>>53079615
>Have your entire day controlled by some superior whose only virtue is joining before you.
That's the NCO, which can't make those calls. Officers generally have to go to school to command

Also how the fuck is that different from any other job?
>>
>A billion years into the future
>You've done everything there is to experience as a human, mastered every skill, become the foremost expert on all subjects, sired a powerful lineage of the smartest and most sexy people ever to exist
>And you've only got eternity left befor you can rest
>And eternity after that
>And eternity after that
>And eternity after that
>And eternity after that
>>
>>53079615
Yeah, far more meaningful to be an enlightened NEET and play videogames
>>
>>53078257
Thus argument never makes sense to me. Were I immortal, I certainly WOULD "eternal journeying, eternal discovery, eternal growth!" It might happen on a geological timescale, but it would still happen. I'd simply have enough time to shitpost on 4chan for 300 years first. "But you'd NEVER get around to it" is argument which most likely reflects a failure of imagination; as an immortal, I could move towards Mexico at a net rate of half a centimeter per year and still get there with plenty of time to spare. The limiting factors would be political and geological-- the existence of Mexico itself as a coherent entity-- rather than my own motivation.

It's worth noting that nobody will live long enough to do more than a few of the things on your list, and poor people are unlikely to get to do any of them. If I could live longer, I could do all of them. Glacially. Maybe make one album every century or so.

It's interesting to contrast this attitude with /tg/'s stance on nihilism. If I were to post about how nothing matters and all life is impermanent, I'd get replies about how you have to make your own meaning, or assertions that impermanence is itself irrelevant. But from this discussion, it seems as if meaning can only be sustained if you can pretend that impermanence isn't real; if you're actually forced to observe it, you'll be crippled by existential angst, or driven mad by boredom.
>>
>>53078312
Don't you want to find out?

I do.
>>
>>53078448
>imagine whichever one you hate more between /pol/ or tumblr winning the culture war and eventually society shifting so that their most extreme fringe is considered moderate.
A temporary annoyance, at best.
>>
>>53079779
This is wrong though. You don't have eternity to fuck around on earth. Earth will be gone some day, so will the human race, you'll be all alone for the vast majority of your existence and unless becoming immortal ascended you to a higher consciousness you'll be driven mad by the isolation and loneliness before you'll be driven mad from boredom.
>>
>>53079803
>wait a trillion, trillion years for the end of the universe
>its occurs on such a metaphysical scale that humans cannot perceive the events taking place
>waited a trillion trillion years to see nothing
>time to wait another trillion trillion to see nothing again
>>
>>53079774
>the only two options are to be a neet or a military cuck
>>
>>53078050
No you can't. For a few hundred or even thousand years, sure you can pass for normal by following culture and adapting to the changes around you, but you'll go to the doctor one day a few thousand years from now and they'll find out you still have sinuses and you'll be outed as the living fossil you are. Eventually humanity will evolve into something else and you'll be the only homo-sapien running around like an unfrozen caveman.
>>
>>53078257
Hey
Hey guess what

Those things take money and time, and there is the possibility of harm or death if you do them.

What if you removed those constraints. I bet that would make it easier to do these things.
>>
>>53076938
No you wouldn't. You'd still be the same lazy, worthless NEET with simply a longer life.
>>
>>53079803
Precisely. Maybe I don't want to spend eternity floating in the void, but eighty years is not enough. Nowhere near enough. There's so much shit in the universe that dying after seeing a fraction of a fraction of a single planet is not becoming of sentient life. I'll take agelessness or regeneration, I just don't want to be DEAD because that's literally the worst thing that can happen to a person.

>>53079779

Also this. That would be fun too, even if we ran into the "limited memories" problem. That would be better, really, ship of theseus or not. Also, we now live in an age that means the dream may be at least partially real, which is cool. Of course a billion other people thought that before us, but a man can hope.
>>
>>53079774
I'd be fine playing video games for a couple of centuries.
>>
>>53079845
This is also fascinating, isn't it?

The alternative would be an ergodic universe, a universe which will eventually explore its entire state space. In they world, immortality would be very odd; you would eventually do everything you could possibly do.

Nobody here, myself included, thinks that this is likely. To put it another way: even if I were to live forever, I'd still never learn what it's like to live in 1864.

It's hard to square this view with arguments about boredom, because it requires an expectation that the universe is not likely to repeat itself. The closest reconciliation is the assertion that the future is almost certainly guaranteed to be extremely dull, for the most part, even if it's not repetitive.

Ultimately, human minds appear incapable of understanding either eternity or oblivion. It seems as if we must experience one or the other, and I would pick the former over the latter. This isn't much different from a belief in an afterlife, in a way; it just doesn't require a Heaven or Hell, and isn't related to any human idea of morality.
>>
As someone whose died thrice now, immortality is ass. Every time I wake up after a full on death it is as if I have had the best nap ever. Such peace. But then I awaken back to this ...vale of tears and am forced to tense back up and ready myself for another slog through daily bullshit. It isn't disaster that does one in; it is the everydayness of things grinding you down to a fine powder where once there was a man.
>>
>>53078257
Nah you don't understand I want to watch anime and play games for an eternity.
>>
>>53079983
>money
Half of them don't, or at least not more than you currently waste on frivolities in all likelihood
>time
Which you have in abundance, or you wouldn't be posting on 4chan

The only thing they take is motivation, which no supernatural power would give your pathetic ass
>>
I'm not saying I want to live FOREVER.

But at the very least triple my lifespan so I can actually see some interesting history unfold with enough time to view its consequences.
>>
>>53080118
How can you have died thrice, or his heart stopping considered death now.(instead of enough brain damage to erase your consciousness)
>>
>>53076908
This.

If I could live forever in my prime, I'd be very happy. Can you imagine all the stuff you can do when you have ALL the time in the world?
Hell, you practically ascend to another plane of existence since you aren't restricted by time.
>>
>>53079180
Because we have a bullshit linear concept of time. The amount of people may be increasing, but the amount of souls isn't. It's 1. You are Jesus. You are Hitler. You are me. I am you. Fucking samefag.
>>53079398
There's no such thing as blanks or portals or what ever you wan to call them. That's just you deluding yourself into thinking you're special. You both have the same amount of soul. And you're gonna be that "NPC" one of these days anyhow.
>>
File: HeyYaColor.png (407KB, 354x521px) Image search: [Google]
HeyYaColor.png
407KB, 354x521px
>>53080235
>which no supernatural power would give your pathetic ass
Unless you're the luckiest man alive
>>
I don't know, Queen's song made immortality seem kinda bad.

On the other hand, they also had a song about immortality being awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEJ8lpCQbyw
>>
>>53080269
Spinoza pls
>>
File: 1487770593651.jpg (29KB, 538x525px) Image search: [Google]
1487770593651.jpg
29KB, 538x525px
>Someone ask a question on a board made for RPG and little plastic men
>Deep philosophical discussion

Never change /tg/
>>
How about immortality, but you just can't naturally die, someone has to kill you? Then if you ever get tired of it you can opt out.
>>
File: 1356778536483.gif (2MB, 1067x720px) Image search: [Google]
1356778536483.gif
2MB, 1067x720px
>>53079687

It does not differ if you are an officer.
If you are 2nd lt you have to suck the captain.
If you are a colonel you have to suck off generals.

>Also how the fuck is that different from any other job?

Ddidnt you read a single thing ? You dont have superiors that have the authority to command and order you and make reports about your behaviors. And those commands dont even has to make sense most of the time and it doesnt have to be related to your mission or position.
If you are for example an lt that is subordinate to the colonel he can order you to do menial tasks. (Here are they keys, take my car and get it washed) and i am talking by other poepels experiences, not making shit up.

>>53079774

Nice strawman you made there.
>>
File: Don_hertzfeldt.jpg (21KB, 279x402px) Image search: [Google]
Don_hertzfeldt.jpg
21KB, 279x402px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUCLvuQkj6k

It doesn't sound like much fun.
>>
>>53080374
Ugh , sorry for the spelling errors.

The army is not a good option for those who are used to think independently and those who are not used to serve like a servitor.
>>
>>53076650
Depends if it's an emperor scenario where you have a goal that require a shit ton of time to achieve then yes Immortality is a boon not a curse. If not well I guess it's a thing you gotta live with
>>
>>53077419
>Yeah I don't know how anybody can be bored in this day and age.

This happens to me a lot. It's usually more that I crave an experience I can't have at that time and other things fail to adequately distract me.
>>
>>53076650
> Everyone you love will grow old and die while you watch
> Nothing lasts
> You have to keep changing identity to avoid people realising you don't age
> Everything gets boring after a while
> Decades of daily routine engraving themselves on your habits
>>
>>53080374
>You dont have superiors that have the authority to command and order you and make reports about your behaviors. And those commands dont even has to make sense most of the time and it doesnt have to be related to your mission or position.
>If you are for example an lt that is subordinate to the colonel he can order you to do menial tasks. (Here are they keys, take my car and get it washed)
Here's a secret you'll find out one day when you're old enough: it can be just like that in a job, too. It's illegal in both cases, and both cases you have the option of reporting your superior to his own superiors (which he always will have), and in both cases there's the exact same likelihood he'll punish you for it. Your reasoning for not wanting to join the army is exactly as applicable to getting a job.
>>
>>53076650
Because life is boring you cuck. Who gives a shit about what happens to the universe.
>>
>>53080374
>(Here are they keys, take my car and get it washed)
You think bosses don't do that?
>But in the army if I refuse I get court martial'd
In a job if your refuse you get fired
>But they can't fire me for it!
They can't court martial you for it either, it's abuse of their authority. Do whatever menial task they tell you then report up the chain
>But it won't do anything, the system's rigged against me!
Welcome to life.
>>
>>53076650
because it doesn't always come with everlasting youth or an invincible body

being old and decrepit forever would fucking suck
>>
I think the major issue with the whole discussion of immortality is that people always think on the macro scale. Which is reasonable, but there's a lot of time between here and the end of the world. Will you really enjoy immortality when you are struggling to hide your existence for the fifteenth time from the government as you try and set up a new identity with a new social security number and ids, or how about going through several lifetimes of mundane jobs were you have to leave within ten to twenty years of working at one place or else your coworkers and bosses will notice you aren't aging at all. Paying bills a million times, a billion times, ages where you are likely homeless, or struggling pay check to pay check. Keeping yourself unknown despite the numerous times where you get mugged, or caught in accidents and survive. Oh and god forbid if you get caught somewhere. Maybe kidnapped and tortured, caught in the wrong place and picked up by police who will investigate you, or fall into the hands of a foreign government that will do worse. Or if you get exposed as an immortal, which will happen. Or falling into a ravine, it getting caught somewhere you can't escape on your own. There are all very real possibilities when you can live forever. So you have to consider the countless horrible and annoying things you'd have to deal with along the way just to exist in modern times.
>>
>>53080671
people kinda take it as inevitable that if you are immortal you will become rich. Keeping/maintaining that wealth over aeons would get tiring though.
>>
>>53080569
>Welcome to life.
Not him but that's why immortality is perfect, you can just go postal and it's not like you'll die in the process.
>>
I'd be satisfied with a 5,000 year lifespan. I think that's enough time to become a master of every sport, an academic of every science, a patron of every art. Dabble in warfare and politics, leave a few hundred children behind and engage in an extensive love life with several dozens of lovers.

I don't want to live forever. I just want to live long enough to get a decent taste at everything. I want the luxury of spending a few dozen years trekking the wilderness or writing novels in my room with the knowledge that I won't be decrepit and old when I emerge.

True conceptual immortality would be hell though. I'd rather die right now than live forever.
>>
>>53080743

Nope, you'll be put in prison for life. Which in your case, won't end until the government falls or the prison physically crumbles, which still might take a good few centuries.

>but anon a life sentence is just 25 years

It's a meme. In most first world countries, life sentence means life sentence. It lasts until you die. 25 years or so is how long it normally takes before you become applicable for parole.

>then what's the point of getting multiple life sentences, huh?

That each one needs to be separately considered for being shortened or cancelled. You could get cleared of one charge but not another, for example, but if both put you in for life you'll still be in for life until you deal with the other one.
>>
>>53079845
>When you're mortal, you don't have enough time to enjoy everything you want because you have limited time to do it all.
>When your immortal, you don't have enough time to enjoy everything you want because everything else has a limited time
>>
>>53080743
>>53080784
Actually in that situation it's far more likely anon's immortality will be discovered (either because the police keeps shooting him and he doesn't die, or because he's been put in prison for a dozen life sentences and it's very obvious he isn't getting any older), meaning it'll be less that and more spend the rest of his life getting dissected.
>>
>>53080784
>Nope, you'll be put in prison for life. Which in your case, won't end until the government falls or the prison physically crumbles, which still might take a good few centuries

A few centuries isn't much for eternity.

>>53080815

The only way you'd be dissected forever is if you're a regenerator.
>>
>>53080815
>b-but eventually even those people would die, everyone dies, I'll outlive them all, hahah
>psychoanon who would "go postal" because of frustration with work and try to lord his immortality over humanity gets encased in lead and buried somewhere for his trouble
>>
File: 1365922373460.jpg (305KB, 568x579px) Image search: [Google]
1365922373460.jpg
305KB, 568x579px
>>53080528
>>53080528

You can quit a job whenever you want, you cant quit the army at your leisure.
And that gives them power over you.

Also in the army your superiors (and the discipline officer) have the authority to discipline you. (Meaning they can bark at your face, berate you , make you do certain tasks to correct your behavior and generally punish you) (and that would be very much legal)

Punishments can range from simple tasks to pay reductions to disciplinary confinement.

Your boss cant lock you up in a brig, shocking right?

Seriously, even discussing the issue this far is like a joke.
>>
>>53080864
>A few centuries isn't much for eternity.
The exact mentality which proves you won't do anything even with eternal life.
>>
>>53080815
>Actually in that situation it's far more likely anon's immortality will be discovered (either because the police keeps shooting him and he doesn't die
>he's not smart enough to fake being killed then leave the morgue and make it look like your body was stolen
Amateurs
>>
>>53076650
Because everyone you ever loved, and everyone you will ever loved will die. Your favorite species will die. Your planet, and your sun will die, but you will not.
>>
>>53076650
I dunno, but I'm 26 and kinda tired of life.
>>
>>53080784

Please dont talk about legal issue like you have any knowledge about them. What you have written has so many exorbitant mistakes that it is irritating my eyes.
>>
>>53080885
>You can quit a job whenever you want
And not have a job.
>you cant quit the army at your leisure.
Unless you live in a country with forced conscription, the tests involved in joining the army are supposed to verify you don't have the kind of personality that would get you in that situation in the first place. If you're always the contrarian for the sake of it, you'll just be dishonorably discharged. The army gains nothing from holding you in the brig forever.
>>
>>53080937
I don't know about the 25 year thing but I can confirm the second one is right, at least where I live. Sentences "overlap", including life sentences (e.g. you got one life sentence for killing Alice and one for killing Bob, it was proven you didn't kill Alice so you're cleared of that, but you still can't leave prison because your life sentence for killing Bob is still in effect)
>>
>>53080811
This is basically the ultimate argument against immortality. People want to live to do everything they want and to see how humanity's future unfolds. They don't think about how finite everything else is. Sure you have earth and other planets if we get space travel, but what about when humans die off and you run out of parts and fuel? Better hope you parked your space ship somewhere nice because you've still got eternity to go and wherever you are is probably where you're staying.
>>
>>53080947
>Unless you live in a country with forced conscription, the tests involved in joining the army are supposed to verify you don't have the kind of personality that would get you in that situation in the first place. If you're always the contrarian for the sake of it, you'll just be dishonorably discharged. The army gains nothing from holding you in the brig forever.
Chipping in as an Israeli, that happens even in countries WITH forced conscription. There's only so long you can spend in military jail before they just shrug and kick you out. It's you who'll have to spend the rest of your life in a country with a very central military culture with the stigma of someone who couldn't finish their service like a grownup.
>>
>>53081028
One final revenge of the system in Israel, too, is that you get the exact same dishonorable discharge note regardless of the circumstances. Doesn't matter if you were in jail for two long for refusing to fulfill an order or if you sexually assaulted another soldier, same note. You go ahead and try to tell your potential future employer it was the first one rather than the second.
>>
>>53081055
>Israel was a mistake
>t. Adolf "Can't Stop the Rock" Hitler
>>
>>53081087
Da fuq? Adolf "Send all jews to Israel" Hitler loved the idea of Israel, because that way he didn't have to kill any jew, just send them away. Like how you should go back 2 Reddit. The Reddit existance is proffitable for us, otherwise were would we send people like you?
>>
>>53080885
It's legal for them to discipline you for disobeying orders. The orders themselves, in this case, are illegal (again, they're abusing their authority. Your subordinates are not your butlers). That's why I said your responsibility as a soldier is to quietly do as you were told, then report them to their higher ups. Depending on country, there might also exist in your military an exception for certain classes of orders which you must not follow under any circumstances, in order to prevent people from defending atrocities with the Nuremberg Argument. Regardless, an officer telling you to do menial work for them likely doesn't fall under that classification.
>>
>>53081153
>go back 2 reddit
t. Reddit Himself

:^)
>>
>>53081208
>implying I can post that same line without the 2 in there
You have to go back.
>>
>>53081155
Yeah but if you weren't in the military you could just tell the dude to fuck off.
>>
>>53081226
>muh esoterics

I hear reddit is nice this time of year
>>
>Be immortal, so far so good, feeling great about never having to worry about dying
>Decide to travel to foreign lands to experience the joy of traveling the land as an immortal man
>Go to the middle east, cause who cares about political discourse, I'm immortal
>Get kidnapped by ISIS, tortured for a week, then they try and behead me on live video
>Immortality exposed, and still in the hands of ISIS
Fuck
>>
>>53081249
Heard it from your other opened tab, didn't you?
>>
>>53081228
And be fired. Haven't you heard everyone's replaceable in capitalism?
>>
>>53081263
Yep
>>
>>53078257
This is the most retarded post in the thread, and I came here to call OP a retard.
>>
>>53081267
Find another job, faggot.
>>
>>53081267
Can't be fired if you quit first.

Also
>trying this hard to defend the cucked losers who don't enlist as officers

They're a fucking joke, everyone knows they are, stop pretending
>>
>>53080569
>You think bosses don't do that?
They don't. I can sue him if he tries that.
>>
>>53076650
Anti-aging immortality by itself isn't a curse.
The problem is immortality + not being able to die when you finally get fed up with it
>>
File: Dorian-Gray-pic[1].jpg (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Dorian-Gray-pic[1].jpg
29KB, 300x300px
>>53081314
>Anti-aging immortality by itself isn't a curse.
But it is, have you read nothing about the scientific books released that showcase how life would be without aging?

It's awful and you feel like shit, and you will have to run away and hide otherwise people around you will know, and when they know, the government knows, and when they know you are already dead
>>
File: hitler facebook anime.jpg (17KB, 235x196px) Image search: [Google]
hitler facebook anime.jpg
17KB, 235x196px
>>53081153

Funny thing is at first he wanted to force jews out of his country to other countries.
Fun fact, no one wanted them, even the so humanitarian and freedom loving USA.

When that failed they tried to send the jews to madagascar. That was the original final solution.

After that plan failed did the extermination was agreed upon in wansee.
>>
File: colbert-laugh.gif (2MB, 254x275px) Image search: [Google]
colbert-laugh.gif
2MB, 254x275px
>>53081309
>MURRICAH
Though to be fair, with employment standards in America he'd be more likely hit with a counterclaim on principle and end up both fired and in debt. You can't beat the system in America.
>>
>>53081377
>and in debt
even if you win
>>
>>53081414
Yup. One of the biggest jokes in that story is that in most cases, winning against the company means paying more to your lawyers over the course of the case than you'd have had to lose anyway.
>>
>>53081155

Stop talking about the legality of the issues you have no understanding and education in.

Also, we are not talking about orders that are not related to the mission or orders that are illegal ( or both illegal and criminal in nature)

I am referring to the disciplinary power your superiors and the disciplinary officer has over you ( and for those who think this is limited to enlited vs ncos and officers that is wrong, even if you are an officer you are still under the same scrunity by your superiors and the disciplinary officer)

For example
Your boss in the company cant imprison you for breaking company equipment while being careless.
If you have lost or broken your rifle that is issued to you with your carelessness you are going to the brig in the army.

Being in the army is not the same as working for a company, ffs people are you living in a fantasy universe that you are so completely detached from the reality? Military service is not what is show in the army sponsored action movies.
>>
File: xgeqmmwi5vty.jpg (138KB, 1576x882px) Image search: [Google]
xgeqmmwi5vty.jpg
138KB, 1576x882px
The thing that fuckin' annoys me is that people always conflate biological immortality and magical immortality. One is reasonable to obtain and offers a lot of benefits. The other is impossible and an actual curse.

Being biologically immortal means that you'll live as long as you want, which could be forever given the right preparations but you'd probably opt out somewhere along the way.
>>
>>53081481

Agreed, american attorney fee system is a joke as is its jury system.
This way rich companies can hammer ordinary citizens in courts of law and prolong the cases making sure any possible gains be made will be nullified with the fee. This in turn cretares situations where citizens wont use legal action when they have the right to do.
>>
>>53081536
I served in the army, you absolute goddamn retard. And what do you know, I've never once had to deal with your imaginary worst case scenario officer who seemingly exists for the sole purpose of proving your point and disciplines everyone left and right for frivolous reasons. Officers like that rarely stay that for long. If they're that shitty, they will be demoted.
>>
>>53081607
And the few times the citizen end and makes out without losing all their money, said company will drag their name through the dirt, as shown with the old lady who got burnt by McDonald's coffee
>>
>>53081639
YOU DON'T GET IT ANON IF YOU JUSTIFY ANY COURSE OF ACTION OTHER THAN ETERNAL NEETDOM YOU'RE A KEK AND PROBABLY A VIRGIN AND I BET YOU CRY YOURSELF TO SLEEP AT NIGHT
>>
File: 1417545778594.jpg (65KB, 664x572px) Image search: [Google]
1417545778594.jpg
65KB, 664x572px
>>53081639

>serving in the army makes you a legal expert
>getting this mad on internet

What is this, your first time browsing the wonders of the internet age?
>>
>>53081665
Sure feels good in the land of the free (tm)
>>
>>53081683

The amount of strawman in this thread is too damn high
>>
>>53081665

While i believe the ruling was unjust and she did not deserve the money. I also believe that company did everything it could to make the story so popular that anyone who would think they were wronged by companies and thinking about suing them will think again about this story and feel they might be wrong.
>>
>>53081536
>man with no military experience is an expert on military disciplinary hierarchy
>>
>>53081707
>get on my level, mr. firsthand experience. I read three whole articles on wikipedia AND a copypasta on /pol/, IMHO I could probably be a military lawyer if I wanted
>>
>>53076650
Would you want to live for eternity long after everything else has died off?
>>
>>53081825
Who said that everything else will die off?
>>
>>53080747
> master of every sport
> implying you can train genetics
>>
File: 9de.gif (307KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
9de.gif
307KB, 267x200px
>>53081762
>>53081793

I dont like to pull the profession card because it makes you look like an asshole on the internet but this discussion has gone for too long. I am an attorney and have no further desire to deal with internet tough guys.

Make what you want with that information. I will take no further part in this conversation.
>>
>>53081758
Why do you think she didn't deserve the money? All she wanted was for them to pay her medical bills, they refused, so she had to take them to court and sue them for even more money.
>>
>>53081884
Me
>>
If you have the option at any time to kill yourself, then its the best deal their is. If you don't fuck that, the longer you go on living, the higher the chance that you get stuck, immobile, forever. What are you going to do when the sun explodes and your stuck in nothing for the rest of time? What happens if all of humanity goes extinct? Immortality is great (as long as your mind stays just as healthy as your body) but any of these scenarios, which will all happen, make it not worth it.
>>
>>53081665
Woman buys coffee in the drive through. She pulls ahead with said coffee, puts it between her legs, and opens the lid to transfer the contents to another container. She spills it, and suffers horrible burns to her crotch, so the company that sold her the coffee should be liable for millions of dollars.

Or, don't be stupid, and blame others for your stupidity.

At trial it was shown that the drive through coffee was hotter than the coffee sold inside. That was so that it could cool down, and still be hot when you arrived at your destination. At the temperature is was at when she spilled the contents onto her lap, she had a mere fraction of a second to unbuckle her seatbelt, exit the vehicle, strip her wet clothing off, pat her skin dry, and apply cool water.

At the typical temperature coffee is sold at, she would have still had less than a second to do the above to avoid scalding herself. A cooler coffee still could have scalded her in less than two seconds. Most households have an anti-scalding feature on their water heaters, but putting that hot water into a tub, and sitting in it still may scald you in minutes. The only safe temperature of coffee is so cold that people don't want it.
>>
>>53081938
>Attorney
>Enters two hour long arguments with retards on 4chan
I hope for your own sake you're lying, because it'd be sadder for you to be truthful.
>>
>>53082037
That first part is wrong though. She wasn't driving, she was in the passengers seat, her son was the driver, and they are parked, and she was trying to put creamer on her coffee. Not to mention around that time, numerous people suffered serious burns from the coffee, cause they kept it at like 190 fucking degrees
>>
>>53076650
If it's the kind of immortality without the eternal youth and regeneration then it could be a serious issue.

Every time you get a scar it stays there, over the course of a couple decades you could be covered in scars all across your body.
If you lose an appendage, like your arm, you'll have to live your immortal life without it, so just hope you don't lose multiple appendages.
Time will feel like it's going extremely fast, days will feel like hours and years will feel like days as you continue to grow older.
>>
>>53076650
Unless your immortality includes a lot of extra features, it's going to get really shitty real quick. I'm not even talking about never getting stuck under rocks suffocating forever, I'm talking about shit like "your brain will eventually run out of storage space and you'll go crazy".
>>
>>53081960

Because an average person is supposed to know that a coffee is....hot. As for the hot above the regular temperatures part you can gauge the amount by just holding it in your hands.

You being not alarmed by the heat emanating from the cup onto your hands while you are holding it is very improbable and unconvincing.

Of course that is just a general observation form the outside, we cant give a full and healthy deliberation on the matter without researching the court records on the case.
>>
>>53082161
She knew it was hot, anon, she was drinking fucking coffee. The problem is it was served hotter than any restaurant is supposed to sell it. The woman almost died because of her burns, and McDonald's didn't even want to shill out the money to pay her medical expenses, so she took them to court. It's not about people being stupid, it's about a massive company being accountable for mistakes.
>>
>>53078844
That's fucking stupid and baseless.
>>
>>53078983
>Would they then ever say...
>>ok today I can die
Probably, yes.
>>
>>53081884
How could it possibly not? It might take several -illions of years, but anyone who thinks life can continue indefinitely has never really thought that hard about.
>>
>>53078844
This is the stupidest post I've ever read. Are you some kind of bubble hamster, anon? A robot?
>>
>>53078883
Make everything immortal, idiot
>>
>>53079429
I didn't think I'd ever get to call someone an edgy ancient fuck
>>
>>53079429
Kek you earned this (you) now dispense another youth based insult
>>
>>53078929
At the same time I am surprised and not at all surprised that touhou fancomic has this subject matter.
>>
I'm not even 30 and I'm tired of being alive. If not for the burden it would place on my parents, I'd spend all my money and kill myself without a second thought.

Immortality would be fucking unbearable.
>>
>>53076650
>>
>>53076650
Immortality is literaly not a curse if you sniff glue every once in a while.
>>
File: aYgD205.jpg (178KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
aYgD205.jpg
178KB, 1440x810px
>>53078438
That is the dumbest shit I have ever heard. No amount of time given will allow someone to break the law of conservation of matter. Or are you planning to land on a planet that has all the necessary equipment to make a dark matter reactor or some other scifi shit?

Here is how your time would most likely be spent
>wait for family to die
>wait for friends to die
>wait for everyone to die
>wait for sun to die
>float through endless vacuum of space with no guarantee that you will ever land on anything and if you do it will most likely be a constant storm of volatile gasses that has no chance of supporting any life.
>wait for planet's star to die
>repeat forever
>yfw you stop thinking

Even if there were exceedingly few things in a finite space in an infinite time, they would not have to repeat in the same configurations. Suppose there were three wheels of equal size, rotating on the same axis, one point marked on the circumference of each wheel, and these three points lined up in one straight line. If the second wheel rotated twice as fast as the first, and if the speed of the third wheel was 1/Ï€ of the speed of the first, the initial line-up would never recur
>>
Unless you have super regeneration abilities as well you'd be fucked pretty hard among other things. Would you have to eat? if you don't then do you naturally produce nutrients or would you just slip into a comma until you were fed? What if your body was separated, would you only be able to think as long if you were just a brain in a jar? What if you got brain damage would you just be a retard for eternity?
>>
>>53076650

If you aren't driven/talented enough to have a fantastic and interesting life right now, then immortal you still wouldn't have one. You would just get to keep existed indefinitely until you got so bored you killed yourself.

Also becoming jaded is actually a thing, not just for edgy teenagers. It's why the super-rich join secret societies and cults, because they have wealth and power and now they're bored.

>>53080266
>If I could live forever in my prime

That's another thing, does immortality necessarily involve eternal youth?
>>
File: 1489514996093.jpg (1017KB, 1256x1786px) Image search: [Google]
1489514996093.jpg
1017KB, 1256x1786px
>>
>>53080864
>A few centuries isn't much for eternity

No, but it will destroy you mentally.
>>
People like to pretend they could handle immortality and they're just like the kind of fag on /k/ who pretends they could handle being shot at

Pathetic lol
>>
>>53083107
Is there a mathematical proof for that modulo you got there? I don't claim there isn't, but I'd like to read the reasoning
>>
>>53076908
/thread
Being immortal would be great
>>
>>53078257
>walk from Nepal to Mexico
Annnnnnnnnnd that's how free spirits wind up in the news paper
>>
>>53079868
>survive the end of the universe cause you're immortal
Check mate science
>>
>>53080522
You have no imagination, I could keep myself entertained for at least 1000 years
>>
>>53084092
sauce?
>>
>>53084528
I believe those were meant to represent two separate ideas for adventure, anon.
>>
>>53084144
>people who claim to be able to handle a good thing that makes life nicer are like people who claim to be able to handle a bad thing that makes life deader

good one

PROTIP: All the alleged drawbacks of immortality ("my friends are deading") are things that'd happen anyway, except instead of being crippled, retarded, and pooping yourself at the time, you're hale and hearty and can make new friends.
>>
>>53078953
Being at peace with your fate doesn't mean you would go with it if you had a choice.
>>
>>53084714
>not sure if has never had one of his friends die or is just a sociopath
>>
>>53084714
>PROTIP: All the alleged drawbacks of immortality ("my friends are deading")
Literally no one has said that
>>
>>53084768
What part of "would happen anyway" you don't get?

Besides, having friends and then seeing them die is better than never having met them.
Otherwise you're making an argument for a shut in existence even as mortals.
>>
>>53082046
Not him but I'm also an attorney and I have spent a shitload of time in 4chan arguing about nonsensical shit.

You are a moron, get a life.
>>
>>53084845
It *does*, happen, anon, but normal people don't treat making new friends like buying new shoes. Friends aren't "replaceable". You can get more of them, but that's not the same as replacing the one's you've lost, and dismissing that with "you can make new ones" is frankly a tad bit disturbing. It tells me that anon has likely never actually lost a friend, and is thus not equipped to say whether he'd be able to handle an eternity of experiencing such loss.
>>
It's not the seeing all that will happen in the universe. That part is great. it's the after part. When the universe falls apart, and you are alone. Drifting in space, with no one and no way for the torment to end. it's like a twilight zone episode come real. That is of course if dying is not an option. If it is, there really isn't a downside other then feeling like you missed a ton of shit if you die early.
>>
File: Death Becomes Her.jpg (132KB, 736x1104px) Image search: [Google]
Death Becomes Her.jpg
132KB, 736x1104px
"And now a warning..."
>>
>>53084853
>attorney
>argument is literally "no u r stupid"
The American legal system, ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>53084912
You're on 4chan, how can you tell he's ever HAD friends?
>>
>>53084714
Yes, because the only drawback to living forever is your friends dying, not the countless other horrifying and depressing situations you will very likely encounter.
>>
It's a curse if you won't be preserved biologically. Imagine living to see your skin rot off, with your physical body shutting down completely despite the fact that you cannot die. You'll be begging to be killed once decomposition sets in.

If it's eternal youth though, it's not a big deal.
>>
>>53084927
This gave me an idea for another bad thing with immortality.

It's likely you aren't the only immortal. And you might not like the others.
>>
>>53076650
Well first off, immortality doesn't mean eternal youths, so be prepared to spend eternity being incontinent. If it does, then be ready to only be able to remember about a century at a time, because that's all the human mind is really built for.
>>
>>53078668
>a story about a NEET loser who has somehow become immortal and completely squandered it away, spending centuries shitposting and telling himself "tomorrow will be the day"
>suddenly, internet connection dies
>for the first time in ages, steps out the door, finds out the rest of humanity has ascended long ago and the AI that's been running the internet for his comfort has finally shut off
>is now alone in the desert, beneath a red sun

I'd watch it
>>
>>53077568
You'd only remember the last century or so, because the human brain can only store so much data.
>>
>>53079030
You have it backwards, time goes slower when in a more powerful gravity field. To reach the event horizon would subject you to a world in which time does not pass, at least until you did the impossible and escaped it.
>>
>>53085103
Wouldn't you subjectively experience it at the same rate, though?
>>
>>53085118
That's a really good question. It's entirely possible it would be like a hypobolic time machine (in which time passed faster on the outside), but until we attach someone to something moving at relativistic speed, we'll never know for certain.
>>
I don't see it as a problem until you hit the point where you're incapable of death, under any circumstances. At a hundred years people are already very tired of the world. A thousand years? A million? A billion? At some point you have so many memories you are essentially weighed down by them. At some point most would choose to exit the stage likely a could thousand years down the line. It's the point where you no longer have the option when things are bad.

Especially if you can't die even when terribly injured. Such as having your feet encased in concrete and thrown in the ocean.
>>
File: 1462565277417.jpg (1MB, 1100x943px) Image search: [Google]
1462565277417.jpg
1MB, 1100x943px
>>53085034
lel

>>53076650
I honestly think that discussing a "lel you will exist longer than the universe" immortality is fucking stupid.

I will refer to a "i won't age and have superhuman durability but i can always kill myself" kind of immortality. Kinda like a Vampire but without the drawbacks.

pros:
>you will experience the future
>probably that you will amass enough wealth to fullfil your desires
>time will start flyintg at some point so that the boredom of eternity won't set in so harsh

>cons:
>likely that you are imprisoned in a political change/because you commit a crime whatever
>your loved ones die
>you will probably see some horrible holocaust shit going down
>not unlikely that you loose touch with society, like in full auotmatic gay communism you worry about money or whatever

I honestly don't know. There is always the chance that you die (hit by a truck or whatever) so it stays interesting. And you can always off yourself is depression hits you at full forces.

I think most people underestimate how hard it would hit you if your original social sphere just dies off. It gets harder to find friends (true friends at least) the older and more cynical you get. And when you are a few centuries in you probaböy have no one who can even remotly understand you. So i really don't know.
>>
>>53084804
Of course they have, and they keep repeating it. Over and over again.

A summary of the vast majority of anti immortality arguments is "if your friends and family die you should commit suicide!" Its fucking retarded. I can't relate to that level of pathetic weakness. When my dad died and my uncle killed himself shortly thereafter, at no point did I think, "Boy howdy, I should blow my brains out before the rest of my family croaks!"

I do in fact have very strong depression and have suicidal ideation (not that it matters), but I can tell you that nothing about "my friends are deading :'( " makes me want to react with dying. This shit is just sour grapes to the max

>>53084912
> is frankly a tad bit disturbing

This level of weakness is disturbing, even though you're merely pretending to be this much of a coward. If I didn't realize your sentiments are pure crocodile tears I would point out that you're advocating a level of fragility beyond that of your average little girl befriending a common cat.

If human feelings worked the way you claimed they did, then people would probably jerk off about box turtles and parrots being the ultimate pets rather than short lived fuzzy things.
>>
>>53084964
Trifling nonsense compared to the horror of, you know, becoming a decaying retarded cripple.

>damn it hurts that I haven't seen person xyz recently
>you know what'd make me feel better? if my legs and penis and eyes and brain and hands and heart didn't work xDDD good thing I'm mortal praise Eru
>>
>>53076908
This.
Though honestly I'm only 23, so perhaps I'll feel different when I'm older.
>>
>>53086486
>what kind of pussy doesn't think of his friends as ambulatory sacks of interchangeable flesh, geez
>>
>>53086486
Yup, sociopath. If only because it takes a truly exceptional lack of understanding of human emotions to realize there's a distance between "not wanting to kill yourself because a loved one has died" and "why would anyone give a shit about dead people, there are more people".
>>
>>53086486
>>53086585
Aren't sociopaths supposed to be good at pretending to have emotions? Sounds far more like run of the mill edgy teenager to me.
>>
>>53086614
>>53086585
Probably autistic. You see it all the time. Didn't feel a thing when his dad died, but'd curl up and cry for a week if you threw away his miniatures.
>>
File: 1470014776116.jpg (115KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
1470014776116.jpg
115KB, 900x600px
Because Authors are part of a secret occult group that means to implant the thought-crime that immortality is bad, thus allowing their unseen master to aspire to live forever while the rest of us flounder in the dark of our pitifully short lives.
>>
>>53076650
>float around in an endless void for the rest of eternity
>on the off chance you end up in a new universe some day it'll most likely be completely incomprehensible to you with entirely different laws of physics
>>
File: 1471999021105.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1471999021105.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
>>53086743
>authors are creating crimethink in readers to stop immortality

Wut
>>
File: Never change tg, never change.png (77KB, 627x214px) Image search: [Google]
Never change tg, never change.png
77KB, 627x214px
>>53086797
Welcome to /tg/
>>
>>53086890
/pol/ is not welcome in /tg/.
>>
File: morte.png (289KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
morte.png
289KB, 640x480px
I'm still around. Of course, I ain't got nobody.
>>
File: 1489366728138.png (869KB, 986x797px) Image search: [Google]
1489366728138.png
869KB, 986x797px
>>53086743
>mfw
>>
>>53076650
If you literally cannot die, there's the fear of facing a situation where you are utterly bored or under a huge degree of torture and have to just bear it forever because... well, you can't die. It's a reasonable misgiving but I believe it would be worth it, ultimately. Pain is something that you only serve to better yourself by learning not to care about, anyway.

On the other hand, only a pussy who is so afraid of their own mortality that they would rather die sooner for reasons out of their control than eventually have to face their own deaths and kill themselves if they decide they're tired of living argues against conditional immortality (ie you die if you are killed, but can't die of age or disease).

>>53076809
Also this frankly. "It's something I can never have so I'll console myself by pretending it would be super bad."

>>53079429
>implying it's not mainly young people who have yet to face death or aging that hold the trite 'n' edgy "immortality would suck" stance
>>
Well, on the bright side, immortality means you could achieve living Buddha status.
>>
>>53085233
>>53087041
This reminds me of that one vampire who was put inside a stone coffin and thrown into the ocean, she managed to break free eventually, somehow, and six thousand years later shows up completely mad.
>>
>>53087713
That was Rita Repulsa.
>>
>>53087041
>If you literally cannot die, there's the fear of facing a situation where you are utterly bored or under a huge degree of torture and have to just bear it forever because... well, you can't die.

That's enough of a drawback that I would never accept unconditional immortality.
>>
>>53087782
>Rita Repulsa
Its Mekare from that Anne Rice book.
>>
I think there is a situation that the "end of the universe" argument needs to consider in that the course of life of a universe may not be the single most large physical mechanic that the universe is involved with, and that rather than just sitting around and waiting for a universe to dye, I imagine an unconditional immortal would have been putting effort into exploring concepts larger than a universe, and would probably be working with resources and aid from things we cannot from our timescale or technological standpoint be able to discuss to the best of our abilities. That said, Being unconditionally immortal and then being forced from then on to live in utter confinement in a state that imitates non-existence is probably just as bad as the things people who seek unconditional immortality are afraid of.

I would argue that an indefinite lifespan is something someone should have access to if they desired it, but that it shouldn't be forced on anyone, it should be something someone must agree to. If there should be a form of unconditional immortality to exist, there should probably be with it an understanding from the individual receiving it exactly what kind of existential situation they are getting themselves into from a universal standpoint, and an agreement that if they are to take up unconditional immortality that they should spend it working towards developing a means of interacting with forces outside of the universal timescale, and be able to say they can accept the punishment of outliving and being trapped in the universe if they cannot.
>>
>>53086585
Yeah, no.

> there's a distance between "not wanting to kill yourself because a loved one has died"

But that's the entire argument against immortality. "Why make new friends... when I could just KILL MYSELF!?"
>>
>>53086676
>understanding the difference between sadness and depression means you don't feel things

ok
>>
>>53078983
>imagine a bunch of immortals with the minds of 25 year olds

Is this what they mean when they speak of hell?
>>
>>53086501
This is abso-fucking-lutely retarded.

Compared to the crushing isolation and loneliness you'll experience being the literal only living thing in the universe for untold trillions of years (or longer, who knows) any miserable scenario you could ever dream up for a mortal would look microscopic in comparison.
>>
>>53088326
You'd get bored of meeting new people. Why put in the effort? Why meet people with experiences you've already given through over and over and over?
>>
File: gs5534.jpg (56KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gs5534.jpg
56KB, 1280x720px
>>53076650
The Man from Earth (2007)

Watch it. Seriously.
>>
>>53088326
>"If I'm ever gonna die, I might as well kill myself now!"
I doubt even immortality could make you less infantile.
>>
>>53076650
No.
>>
>>53076908
>When they're 66 they'll want to be 67
Used to say this whenever a friend would start smoking. They would always say "I dont want to turn 80 anyway" tell me that when you're 79 years and 11 months old
>>
>>53076650
Immortality is a curse if you think about it as "being the same faggot self for all eternity" (a.k.a. being a vampire). If you think about as endless evolution of the self, then it's the holy grail of existence.
>>
>>53090920
He Never Died is a better immortality blues movie.
>>
>>53076809
Depending on what kind of immortality we are talking about, I am pretty sure it's this.
>>
>>53079180
Most of them are born without souls.
Think about it, that would explain a lot.
>>
>>53091200
We've gone over this in 300 posts already. Most anons want to be the same faggot self for all eternity. I do however have to agree with the people pointing out if you want "evolution of the self" there's nothing stopping you now except pretty poor excuses, and if you're making them it's unlikely you'll stop when given the option of endless procrastination.
>>
>>53091383
THIS.

Even if real immortality existed, most of you faggots would be to lazy to pursue it.
>>
Imagine spending forever surrounded by nothing but four year olds, unable to find people to care about without adding to an ever growing list of people you care about who are dead.

You still have to do an awful lot of waiting to see what happens, and most of it is very disappointing and you have to watch people make the same damned mistakes over and over again.
>>
>>53084927

Hey... you just reminded me of my youth. This was a great movie back in the days.... well from what I can recall.
>>
>>53081153
You might want to re-read Mein Kampf anon. He likened the idea of a jewish nation-state to a headquarters for an international crime syndicate. The only reason he advocated for the expatriation of jews was because he wasn't secure enough in his power at the time to go full Final Solution
>>
>>53077478
What about a different type of "immortality", where not your flesh but your mind and soul are immortal. Each death would just be another step, every life a new volume of knowledge for you.
A soul that remembers everythingand a mind that can make use of these memories every time you are reborn. Would make for some intesring school contest when your rocking the cumletive knowledge of hundreds of lifespans.
>>
>>53078652
Citation needed.
Because that sounds fucking awesome.
>>
>>53078190
>>53078283
Indeed, Gilgamesh HAS achieved the immortality he sought.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.