[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Handling penalties

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (127KB, 1024x1214px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127KB, 1024x1214px
So I got this idea while playing Fallen Enchantress where normally when a hero gets defeated they get this semi-permanent penalty to some stat, like permanently lowered hp, damage, or -50% resistance to cold damage, or something like that. One of them was really interesting through, "hallucinations," which gives -10% spell resistance but also +10 spell mastery. So it was a bonus and a curse at the same time.

I'm about to run a game basically set in the underdark and I'd like to implement a system like this where the PCs gain traumas, which can reduce one stat but also refine the character as a result. Any ideas on what these could be or how to specifically implement this?
>>
Not sure what to do man, but I support you. Maybe base them off of positive and negative qualities of other systems like Shadowrun.
>>
Is this a "Do an action, consequence happens" ideas thread?
>>
Darkest Dungeon has something like this, except they implemented it terribly. Still interesting though, usually it comes in the form of some buff/nerf with some flavour text explanation which can be used for roleplaying purposes.
>>
I mean, what ideas can we spit out for these sorts of effects? I'm asking for specific ideas akin to the "hallucinations" effect.

For example:
Shell Shock: You are haunted by past experiences. You can't relate to others like you could before. But the horrors of the underdark don't scare you so much anymore.

Effect:
-2 on diplomacy checks, but a +2 bonus against fear effects.

Or if they were to play a more prominent roll in the campaign

-2 to charisma, but +2 to wisdom.
I'd like to have a more extensive list but am sort of a lazy bastard and don't want to spend all my creative energy on just one aspect of the game.
>>
>>53073183
Maybe make the traumas occurring a chance in combat, low enough that it can't be exploited and maybe kept hidden from the players til they actually get one, and only from certain attacks or conditions? Like, your fighter gets hit in the head pretty hard by something, he lives, but now his brain's pretty fucked and he gets access to low-level psionic powers but also has to take damage to use them and suffers migraines?
>>
>>53073609
Actually this is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. That sounds awesome
>>
last bump
>>
You get some serious injury after battle and now must spend few weeks in swamp village nearby to cure them. Your speed is lowered and weather change affect you, but weeks on poison mushrooms painkillers makes you kinda immune to common poisons.
>>
>>53073711
Eldritch horror have this mechanic where you character gets trauma/poisoning/debth/jailed etc conditions that turn into something if they not removed in time.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.