[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 360
Thread images: 30

File: 1493875966035.jpg (154KB, 844x946px) Image search: [Google]
1493875966035.jpg
154KB, 844x946px
Fifth Edition General Discussion Thread

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised subclasses
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/7e74b19937c1

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/
>>53063100

What's the most memorable Paladin you've played with?
>>
Anyone have the Curse of Strahd maps as separate image files/not a PDF so I can use with r20?
>>
>What's the most memorable Paladin you've played with?
The one that threw a coffin with a necromancers skeleton in it at him then used a earth elemental to break through some walls judge dredd style after a black dragon showed up
>>
File: Bloodborne Master Willem.jpg (181KB, 532x695px) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne Master Willem.jpg
181KB, 532x695px
Have your players' eyes yet open, /5eg/?
>>
>>53071435
if you have pdf, just snapshot the maps
>>
File: 502.jpg (41KB, 351x359px) Image search: [Google]
502.jpg
41KB, 351x359px
>>53071598
Yes, no........... Maybe?
>>
>>53071598
I'm not running a Far Realm Incursion campaign, anon.
>>
>>53071607
The maps are too big unless I zoom out.
>>
>>53071598
my eyes are always open, they've always been, even before i was born.
>>
My good folks, have 2, potentially 3 people (Rogue and Paladin with chance of Bard) got any chance at completing Strahd without DM fiat? Will it be enjoyable even?
>>
>>53071698
Maybe if they are revenants.
Otherwise, give them nore points at character creation and/or use hero points.
>>
>>53071698
probably not unless you play strahd as brainless bag of meat.
>>
>>53071677
Guess you'll have to zoom out bitchboi
>>
>>53071677
just stitch them together in paint or whatever photo editing software you may have.
>>
>>53071677
Open it in Adobe Reader and right click -> Save Image As.
>>
>>53071737
>>53071818

Ah that's regrettable.
I wish I had more friends interested in ttrpg
>>
File: witcher_3_face.jpg (113KB, 1000x625px) Image search: [Google]
witcher_3_face.jpg
113KB, 1000x625px
How would one make a Witcher PC?
I was thinking going Eldritch Knight, great weapon fighting and the faction agent background, any thoughts?

I know not to play ttrpgs like a vidya gaem, just liked the character concept
>>
>>53071902
Sounds solid, definitely try and work with your DM on letting you make potions and such.
>>
>>53071902
>great weapon fighting

Now is this going to be a witcher or is it going to be MrOptimised #76893 with vaguely witchery characteristics.
>>
>>53071386
What interesting or funny character builds am I missing out on by not keeping tabs on 5E? For example, even all these years later, I still sometimes giggle about bardadin being a mechanically sound build in 3.5.

(I don't pay attention to 5E because it's wrong for my group, that doesn't mean I think it's shit or something.)
>>
>>53071977
The strangest for me is definitely paladin/warlock. Very mechanically sound and powerful, but I cannot for the life of me imagine how to RP such a character, or how I would justify the multiclassing to my DM.
>>
>>53071999
Raven Queen paladin and warlock, raised in one of the churches eventually decided to make a slightly more binding deal to better serve.
>>
>>53071919
Cheers man, I'll have a chat with him, see if I can swap out a skill proficiency for one in alchemist's tools or something
>>53071945
GWF was cos Witchers use 2 swords one at a time, usually with both hands when they swing, thought that made sense
As for the spells, I was thinking Shield for Quen, fire bolt/burning hands for Igni, maybe thunderwave or booming blade for Aard?
>>
>>53071999
instead of "Selling your soul," you have sworn an oath to your patron. the oath may or may not involve your soul
>>
>>53072023
Scratch that, booming blade actually best fits Yrden mechanically
>>
>>53072023
Depending if you want to stick closest to the character concept then burning hands, fire bolt for more practical reasons, Thunderwave for Aard all the way.
>>
Crawford has said that Volley and Whirlwind that the Hunter get are both 1 Attack with multiple Attack rolls. Does that mean an Invisible Hunter would get Advantage on all the Attacks?

Does it mean my Duergar Hunter might be as awesome as I think?
>>
A war forged forge cleric who continually tries to improve themselves with their channel divinity. They believe in the forge domain relevant gods, and want to meet their maker to figure out if they have a soul, or if they are just a machine.

Y/n? Pretty sure I want to run this for my next campaign.
>>
>>53072111
Depends on the DM at this point since they haven't given any ruling on that
>>
>>53072038
Sorry mate, not sold. Maybe I just hold too traditionalistic (previous edition-esque, despite not having played them) views on warlocks and paladins.
>>
>>53072090
Got it, can get all the signs at level 3
>Aard - Thunderwave
>Axii - Friends
>Igni - Burning hands
>Yrden - Booming blade
>Quen - Shield

Sound good?
I may swap out friends for fire bolt for Igni, and have chromactic orb just for damage/range coverage
>>
>>53072111
Yes, you get advantage on each roll.

This is a good way to give the rest of the players at the table and opportunity for a bathroom break.
>>
I roll a sorcerer with decent dexterity, but I find it really weird when I need to use melee weapons, which tend to be daggers. I know there's no finesse bludgeon weapons in the book, but what would be an example of a homebrew one?
>>
>>53072184
>spoiler
Nah dude, commit to that shit. The list you have now is good.
>>
Can I use TWF with haste attack action?

Trying to find a way to make TWF with the new blade bard.
>>
>>53072212
Yes you can, that is the only way to make the TWF Blades Bard work well.
>>
>>53071698
You could always make an NPC ally healer (cleric) or tank (barbarian, some kind of fighter that can protect the rogue.

Though I'm sure they could do it if you scale the encounters and let them be more powerful than usual. More points if point buy or a flexible rolling variant (as in you roll until you have decent stats), definitely more HP and a bonus feat at level 1.
>>
>>53072205
Alright man, if we come up against ranged enemies I'll just throw my swords at them, can summon them back with a bonus action anyway
But that doesn't sound very Witcher-y
Maybe bombs are the answer...
>>
>>53072185
What level do Rangers get the bonus action hide? I'm feeling like a Wood Elf Ranger with Elven Accuracy and Volley could have a round longer then a Wizard.
>>
>>53072184
Go balls deep in this or not at all just like >>53072205 said.
>>
>>53072159
Sounds like a good concept to me. Would they give in to despair or have it harden their resolve if they found out their maker made them as a simple tool? How would that work with the rest of the party?
>>
>>53072023
Ah yes, of course they do. My apprehension was more in line with the fact that a witcher would probably use a longsword, want to have one hand at least potentially free for casting at all times, and that their fighting style is more agility than strength based (pirouttes and the like).

>>53072045
Definitely burning hands to be more true to the nature of Igni yeah.

I've just realised than I don't actually know the difference between Heliotrope and Quen. The description in the books is really quite similar, and I forgot how they were used in the games.

Also don't forget to get something like suggestion for Axii and sleep for Somne
>>
>>53072230
Get a hand crossbow just like a Witcher, come on man
>>
>>53071999
Mine was a paladin who worshipped a sun that appeared to him in his dreams which was actually a giant sun-like Old One.
>>
>>53072258
Depends on the school, each one has different methods and training.
>>
How would one go about granting a sort of long-charge nuke for Barbarian? That is, something close to Smiting but damage is relative to the number of rounds you've been Raging.

Most combats don't last very long, but I'd have to wonder how broken something like that could be?
>>
>>53072023
>swap out a skill proficiency for one in alchemist's tools or something
You know you can customize your background, right? If you have Faction Agent, it gives you two extra languages. You can should swap one of those for a toll proficiency.
>>
>>53072184
I'm stealing this for my next character with your permission.
>>
>>53072258
Quen would definitely be shield
>>
>>53072279
With how much damage a barbarian can do on its own very. Easiest way, give them a weapon that has it built in x per day and recharge at dawn.
>>
>>53072262
I am the stupid, thank you anon
>>53072258
Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to talk the DM into making longswords finesse weapons for me despite them being literally reskinned rapiers so it'll hvae to be a strength build
>>53072258
Quen and Heliotrope are really similar... I have no idea how to differentiate the two, I guess shield would work for both? Suggestion could work for Axii, and sleep would definitely work for Somne, thanks!
>>53072281
I'll probably do that then! We have enough casters in the party to be honest, I'm sure one of them will have comprehend languages...
>>53072287
Of course man!
>>
>>53072238
They don't.
>>
What does magic armor account as? Light, medium or heavy?
>>
>>53072354
Whatever armor it actually is.
>>
>>53072354
it doesn't count as those, or unarmed.
it's magic.
>>
>>53072329
You're not from the wolf school then, could easily be from the bear school. I remember each one in armor and lore in the games and such were different types, bear was heavy, wolf was medium and snake was light. If I'm remembering correctly.
>>
I'm thinking of making a Barbarian 1/Monk X. I'd take the Barbarian levels for the DEX+CON AC, the resistance to damage and the Advantage on Strength Checks while Raging. For Monk I'd probably go for Drunken Master for the speed boost and ignoring oppertunity attacks.

Basic idea is a Monk using all those attacks per round for grappling, prones and bonus action dash to sprint up walls to drop people. While also being able to just punch people of course. Only issue is I'll have a low Wisdom so stunning strike basically won't be helpful at all.

>>53072238
>>53072349
Level 14.
>>
would it break anything to give a class/race combo that only gets simple weapons, shortsword proficiency?
>>
>>53072279
As long as it's a small damage die it could be done. Like you can drop a number of d6s/d4s equal to how many rounds you've been raging, up to 10. Then your rage ends.
>>
>>53072354
I'm assuming you're talking about an enchanted suit of armor, in which case it's the same type as that armor would be if it weren't magical. Plate Armor+1 is still Plate Armor with all inherent requirements.
>>
>>53072203
Maybe nunchaku?
>>
File: 1493904609738.jpg (110KB, 600x378px) Image search: [Google]
1493904609738.jpg
110KB, 600x378px
Hey guys I'm like 3 sessions into my first rogue and I don't know if this is a problem or just life now.
Basically every time I go into a room I check for traps on the walls, in the floors, and every door I go through.
It just seems a little tedious. Like am I doing it wrong or is there a better way to go about it?

Like I said I've never played rogue before and the last PC I played was circle of the moon druid
>pic related
>>
>>53072390
Bear would definitely work, focusing more on heavy swings and tanking damage, would work for a low dex high con build, But I think I remember reading somewhere about Bears respecting free will to much to learn Axii, may have been mistaken though...

And, I'm playing V.Human, could take magic initiate as a feat for some extra cantrips right off the bat and have a one-shot first level spell
Yes, the DM is making us start at level 1
And in the games at least, Bear was heavy, Wolf was medium and Cat was light,
Viper didn't have a dedicated set outside of dlc, which was medium I believe, but the books may well be different
>>
>>53072203
Just get a saving throw cantrip or Shocking Grasp. Both are going to be waaaay better then a melee weapon on you.
>>
>>53071999
I think that one happened in 4E too. Apparently the laws of D&D mechanics say that paladin/warlock must be a thing.
>>
>>53072446
Works even better because then you got a free slot for something.
>>
>>53072443
>or is there a better way to go about it?
get a spellcaster to use detect traps :^)
>>
Does anybody use Roll20?

If so, how hard is the system to learn?
>>
File: AVGN.jpg (11KB, 318x325px) Image search: [Google]
AVGN.jpg
11KB, 318x325px
reposting cause i posted in old thread

does anyone.. ANYONE use non-meta spells? and I'm talking stuff like Augury and whatnot. I mean, I could count the amount the amount of times I seen spellcasters with something other than fireball/lightningbolt/magic-missile/mage armor a number of times i can count on one hand.

I'd like to use some of those other spells, but they all feel so damn situational. I'd love to use arcane lock, feign death, magic circle, the majority of illusion spells, and so forth.
>>
Why does almost everyone on roll20 insist on starting at level 1? It is jarring when your characters are supposed to be experienced adventurers and yet, mechanically, they are completely fresh-faced idiots without access to basic class features. It's like everyone plans assuming they'll have a group for months/years (which would be unlikely even if they weren't recruiting randoms on roll20) and as such can afford to spend the first couple of weeks trying to get to level 3 so they can finally fucking do something interesting in combat.
>>
I have a question, I'm new to DMing and moving through a dungeon, Is it better to have them move in turns with movement, or just let them move together in a group and move where ever they want?
>>
>>53072488
One of my players build a wizard entirely based around illusion and crowd control.
>>
>>53072476
Roll20 is massively popular and where the bulk of online activity in the hobby is concentrated.

The system is pretty easy to learn. Read the Basic Rules and you'll be good for a while.
>>
>>53072488
Illusions are the best. They can solve a lot of problems if you know where to put your suspicious new boxes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1WSH0VzoaM
>>
>>53072354
do you mean mage armor the spell or magical armor the gear.
there's a difference.
>>
>>53072504
Keep them in a group. Ask for a marching order and who walks through the doors first.
>>
Anyone got the image of a really charming, rustic-looking elf knight flirting with some villager?

Also, for a half-elf paladin, oath of the ancients;
Str 16
Dex 10
Con 12
Int 8
Wis 13
Cha 16
Level 3, 25 HP, Duelist style for +2 one-handed damage, sword and board+splint mail for 19 AC?
>>
>>53072540

Can you please give me an example how you do it? Cause I really need to figure this out, I want to get better.
>>
File: 1478373950903.jpg (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1478373950903.jpg
1MB, 1000x1000px
>>53072548
Sounds good.
>>
>>53072566
That's it, that's perfect, thank you.
>>
>>53072529
>>53072410
>>53072361
>>53072367
Mage armor
>>
>>53072582
The spell doesn't create physical armour of any kind, simply affords the caster more protection
>>
>>53072564
Describe the situation
Hear the responses/actions
Resolve their actions
Describe the new situation

Wait for the players to come to some sort of consensus, or for one of them to say "Screw it, I am going in!"

Keep your descriptions to where the action is happening.
>>
File: 1298398936972.jpg (90KB, 432x585px) Image search: [Google]
1298398936972.jpg
90KB, 432x585px
>>53072548
Be sure to bring joy to all the village ladies, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>53072566
>Foendal, that human is 100 years younger than you!
>>
>>53072619
Hey, refer to the Harkness test.

It only matters if she's sexually mature for her race!
>>
>>53072612
no, another player is rolling up his childhood sweetheart
>>
File: ybd87bnd11_li_20140625_cardart2.jpg (145KB, 700x450px) Image search: [Google]
ybd87bnd11_li_20140625_cardart2.jpg
145KB, 700x450px
>>53072619
You can't blame the Elven Knights for being sexy beasts.

>>53072640
Better be a plot line that involves cheating.
>>
>>53071999
Okay I got a couple ideas. Anyone want to add to this list?

Devotion/Archfey - White Knight of the Seelie Fey
Devotion/Fiend - The Noble Demon
Devotion/Great Old One - ???

The Ancients/Archfey - Green Knight of the Fey (Seelie or Unseelie)
The Ancients/Fiend - Green Knight of the Unseelie Fey
The Ancients/Great Old One - Green Knight of the Really Weird Fey

Vengeance/Archfey - Grey Knight who comes to collect on the better Feys' debts
Vengeance/Fiend - Grey Knight who makes compromises with Evil to fight the Greater Evil
Vengeance/Great Old One - Bloodborne
>>
>>53072609

Thank you, I'm writing that down and putting it on my screen.

If you wouldn't mind helping me with one more thing.

In this situation, they stumbled into a guards barrack without really sneaking or being alert, or so they didn't tell me. So I say before they enter the barracks, to make a stealth check. Should I have warned them ahead of time or was I being fair?
>>
>>53072652
Lots and lots of fey so a solid _ _ _ probably not _ _
>>
I decided to buff dragonborn as a race. Besides making their Breath Weapon increase by 2d6 instead of one, I'm giving them this, inspired by the racial feat:

>Frightening Roar. As an action, you can force each creature of your choice within 10 feet to make a Wisdom saving throw. A target automatically succeeds if it can’t hear or see you. On a failed save, a target becomes frightened for 1 minute, as long as you maintain concentration. If the frightened target takes any damage or ends its turn without line of sight to you, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success.

How is it? The only thing I'm not 100% sure is it requiring concentration.
>>
>>53072524
Is there any groups on /dndg/ that are currently playing? I'd be interested in joining and trying it out. But my schedule is usually late night.
>>
Can you use Lethal Strike with Bestial Claws?
Or Knock Back/Brute Strike for that matter.

Soul Knives and Hone the Blade doesn't seem like nearly enough damage to make it worth sacrificing two disciplines, have anyone had any success with one?
>>
File: 1466047993387.gif (981KB, 342x239px) Image search: [Google]
1466047993387.gif
981KB, 342x239px
>>53072640
This could work out really well or really bad, please tell me it's not going to be two guys awkwardly making passes at each other until the tension gets to be too much and you guys give each other brojobs in a dark alley saying no homo the whole time.
>>
So are Dwarven Samurai as cool as it sounds? I'd obviously pick up their feat for gaining HP on a dodge.
>>
>>53072698
That'd be in the domain of the Game Finder thread

When playing with people from 4chan use at least one different account with a fake name so you can just delete everything if needed. Not because you'll get hacked or some shit, but because a lot of the people who publicly admit to using 4chan are annoying egocentrists and feed on internet drama
>>
>>53072720
You get more as you level up, Soul Knives are probably the best balanced Mystic while still being good.

The only one you need for your damage straight up on a Soul Knife would be Brute Force I say, then the rest of your picks are whatever you want. Psionic Weapon's Focus isn't any good on you so it's definitely not going to be your first pick.
>>
>>53072685
>He thinks you can't cheat with fey

You may want to get what all you two are doing in writing before hand and be prepared for some crazy stalkers perhaps.
>>
>>53072329
What were you thinking for armour? Chain mail or leather?
>>
>>53072734
We've done this before except more overt. This time they'll just be besties who are quietly crushing on each other and both oblivious to the other reciprocating.
So, yes, on all accounts.
>>
>>53072590
I am fuck then. My dm roll quite high. Are there any AC that I can stack?
>>
>>53072736

I played a Gnome Samurai, and it was some good shit. Was playing Curse of Strahd at the time and it was quite fun imagining a dexterous whirling blade gnome taking out vampires.
>>
>>53072783
Chain, going strength instead of dex so was thinking heavy armour
>>53072788
Only using a shield would increase AC further, putting on armour cancels the spell
>>
I'm very bad with distances, especially in the imperial system. My players are in a small town, less than 1000 residents, many living in farms around the town. They are going to an isolated location in the outskirts of this town, and then they'll have to go back to town center as fast as possible, probably on horses or carriage. How far away should it be? I literally have no idea.
>>
>>53072669
Unless they have a tendency for sneaking around everywhere, they don't get stealth rolls.

They could always stumble in, see the post, and scurry for cover, but let them say that they are going to hide. Don't assume how the PCs are going to react to things.
>>
>>53072858
I don't know Imperial but I live in a town about the size. If they're on horses maybe 2-5 km could about do it. Depends how long you want it t take.
>>
>>53072858
No clue man, I just wing that shit and decide on the spot.
>>
>>53072858
Just make time a distance unit "its 30 minutes away" or something like this, your players wont bother probably.
>>
>>53072777
but brute strike is only +1d6/psi while lethal strike is 1d10/psi, even if the focus is shit isn't it the best way to maximize your damage?

also, is hone the blade supposed to stack with augmented weapon?
>>
>>53072488
Dumb blaster is the weakest wizard still, though. Sure, you'll want one of the blasting spells, but you can do so much more.
>>
>>53072662
Devotion/Great Old One: Cultist who, as a result of indoctrination, believes his patron to be a benevolent entity whose presence can make legitimately make the world a better place.
>>
>>53072972
and both cost you your bonus action, making soul knives even weaker.

i honestly don't understand what they were at with the melee mystic options and mystic action economy in general.
>>
>>53072662
>Devotion/Great Old One - ???
Paladin of YWVH

Oathbreaker/Fiend - Blackguard
Oathbreaker/Archfey - Siren Slave
Oathbreaker/GOO - Mad Knight
>>
>>53072669
Passive stealth vs Passive perception
>>
>>53072888
>>53072906
>>53072931
They might want to get back VERY fast. Guess I should do the math considering horse speed? 120ft every 6 seconds means they could cover 2 km in about 5 minutes.

Thing is, they will see a dragon attack in the distance to a building with an NPC they might want to protect. So they should also be close enough to see a dragon, cackling lightning, and fire. But combat rules means shit happens really fast.
>>
How much loot is too much loot for 5 level 5 pcs?
I wanted my players to each have a chance running an encounter, and one im afraid is going to be giving way too much loot. Im not really stingy, and they could use some, but we are talking tons of magic items for a fairly difficult fight. The reasoning is the characters are basically being boarded by pirates.
>>
>>53072662
Vengeance/Archfey - Drow slave working off debt
>>
>>53073067

What is Passive stealth?

>>53072887

They don't tend to be sneaky, because two of the four are heavy armored but the other can be sneaky, one is a rogue and the other a warlock but has Prof. in stealth. Could I have maybe let them have advantage to maybe cover behind something before they were noticed?
>>
>>53073221
Consult the treasure tables on the DMG to see the kind of reward they are expected to get after a certain fight.
>>
File: fma.png (112KB, 408x372px) Image search: [Google]
fma.png
112KB, 408x372px
So my friend wants to be the shield for the party, but, says he's not really feeling it yet as a Paladin. He describes it as "I just hit things with a Mace and nothing else". I want to try and get him to this point since I want him to have as much fun as the other players. He described it to me like the Knights from Fire Emblem, picture related. He wants a big ass shield and a spear or lance of some kind to fuck something up that wants to get to his party. Is there a custom class that covers what he wants or are there any magic items, particularly shields, that would make him feel like he's doing more for the party?
>>
>>53073267
PAM, Sentinel use a pole arm of some type, multiclass into fighter and go to battle master get the stuff to draw enemies.
>>
>>53073267
What kind of build does he have?
>>
>>53073250
>What is Passive stealth?

Doesn't exist. But, 10+Stealth.
>>
>>53073267
what level is he?
>>
>>53073267
What level? As they level up, paladins gain tons of support with their spells and Aura of Protection.
>fuck something up that wants to get to his party
Sounds like he'd like the Sentinel feat.
>>
>>53073267
Did he try other attack action yet?
>>
>>53073310
Compelled Duel exists
>>
>>53073267
The Knight subclass for Fighter does some stuff that he might like. It basically forces enemies to attack them or fuck up attacking your allies.
Also AoO's are buffed or some shit.
>>
My players almost never share wealth amongst themselves and tend to be very greedy when they loot things, I mean all of them, and they will never share magic items unless they really can't use it.
>>
>>53072662
The issue I've always found with Paladin/Warlocks in my games is that 9 times out of 10 they're playing an edgy good guy with demon/elritch/inner darkness crap or they're doing it for pure mechanics. I've seen 2 good Paladin/Warlocks and even then one of them was pretty much just playing a melee Warlock.

Honestly I just make sure people know that a Paladin Oath in my game is a serious deal, you can make mistakes but actively going against it will have punishments (I just take away the subclass abilities until they fix the oath or take a new one).

If a Cleric of a Lawful Good god goes super murderhobo then he's lose his subclass until he finds a new god.

If Warlocks piss off their Patron too much then they lose their subclass until they get a new one.

It's mostly to encourage more thought put into your choice. If you think you can uphold an Oath of Devotion while serving a Fiend then go ahead. I don't put in any "lol no matter what you fall" shit though.
>>
>>53073267
Sentinel, shield master, polearm master feats.
Tunnel fighter, protection fighting styles.
Knight fighter archetype, UA latest ancestoral guardian archetype for barbarian, stone sorcerer.
Crown paladin.
Cleric, likely with boomingblade/green flame blade to make melee combat more viable.
Strength barbarogue.
Abjuration wizard.
Compelled duel spell. Vengeance's 0 speed channel divinity, ancient's rooting channel divinity.

Basically I'm just listing all the things that offer a lot of team support that use shields that can do things to help protect team members (Such as slowing enemies and such).

That said, I'd say the best course of action would be to give the sentinel feat and some sort of magic item that upgrades the protection fighting style / gives the protection fighting style, that sort of thing, or a sword that has a short rest power that can be used to slow enemies so they can't go after teammates.
>>
>>53073251
I tried telling him this.
He decided he wanted to use the Treasure table below it (as in slightly worse) and give like 4 bags with treasure inside, each having one roll from the table
>>
>>53073267
That's pretty much all martial though. Perhaps he should try a caster, like an abjurer gish. Or a different game
>>
>>53073221
>Players get boarded by pirates
>They give the party free loot

Wow, good job burying that treasure, pirates.

Give the party a treasure map instead to follow and then they get their treasure at the end of that.
>>
>>53073339
But nobody seems to use it. I honestly wonder why does that happen, it seems like a great tanking spell. I've played with at least 3 different paladins and none of them even prepared it ever.
>>
>>53073267
This reminded me, was anyone else pissed that Redemption Paladins got Crown Paladins level 7 except better in every way? What the fuck is that?
>>
Playing my first ever D&D game tomorrow, 5E. I'm a little nervous.

DM is starting me at level 4 since that's what his party is at, and I'm joining a little ways into an existing campaign.

I decided to go with a BattleMaster Fighter.

I'm having a hard time choosing the maneuvers I want though since I've never actually DONE any combat in this game, so it's hard for me to tell if, say, maneuvering strike would be useful at all.

So far I've chosen Parry, Riposte, and Disarming Strike since they seem pretty useful under any circumstances. I was just curious if some more seasoned players could tell me if I'm making a mistake picking a shitty maneuver or something. Which ones should I avoid? Which ones are very useful?
>>
>>53073427
It's just a poorly designed archetype overall, wait for its second rendition in some new UA.

>>53073449
pushing and precise attack are always good
>>
>>53073398
It's concentration.
It only inflicts disadvantage, and only against allies. They can still wail on you to their heart's content, which is probably what they'll do if you just engage them.
The target can still move freely 30 feet around you, and can make a save to ignore that effect altogether. Most enemies don't really move away from their targets much.
Basically DMs don't run smart enemies, and the right combination of feats/actions can do the same thing better anyway. It's too soft of a control method when you have things like sentinel, shoves, etc that provide hard action denial.
>>
>>53073335
>>53073336
He's only level 3, he took Path of Vengeance, but, I think he only did it because he didn't understand despite assuring me he did. I'm going to sit down with him next time before we play and try to explain to him better what he's doing. I would of done it before but I was swamped with having to fix the other two player's sheets with them since they wouldn't get in contact with me earlier about certain things.

>>53073337
No, last session went pretty shit though since he fell asleep at the table. We had to call it early despite saying he was fine.

>>53073346
Is that part of UE Arcana book? I'll have to look at it in a moment.

>>53073364
I'll show him these when I see him next, in a few days. I'm sure we can come to something he likes once I'm able to explain it better to him.

>>53073391
This is our first game. This is my first time DMing, and this is their first time playing. This is probably just a growing pain. I'm sure we're going to try a few more games in the future. They REALLY love the roleplaying aspect, so I was going to find something like that if 5E doesn't work out.

Anyway, thank you everyone, I'm going to do some more research and give him a bit of a TL;DR with some links on the matter.
>>
>>53073427
Crown pallys aren't great anyway
>>53073449
>Disarming Strike since they seem pretty useful under any circumstances
I would warn you your DM could just run one of the copious amounts of monsters that use natural weapons or spellcasting.
>>
>>53073458
I considered pushing attack at first but I can't imagine it being very useful unless my DM designs his dungeons with a shitload of pit and traps and stuff, but like I said I haven't played so I have no idea.

Precision seems pretty good, basically you get to reroll an attack if you miss?

>>53073540
That's true. Maybe tripping attack or something then?
>>
>>53073495
at least you have people to play with that actually show up and have interest
meanwhile i just sit here in silent anger over how i like this game but it's unplayable for me since i need a few other people to play and nobody gives a shit
>>
>>53073557
The internet exists anon. Play an online game.
>>
>>53073554
Precision adds your maneuver dice to hit. It exists pretty much to counteract GWM
>>
>>53073604
granted i only took a brief look through the games on roll20 but it seems like all of them are (currently 1 player) and they look very much like young teenagers
>>
>>53073554
Pushing Attack means you can hit a fucker and toss him away, then safely walk out of melee. You can push an enemy into a hazard created by your spellcaster, like a conjured bonfire. You can use any existing hazard, or make a path to any more dangerous enemy.

Precision just means you can just sort of decide to hit.
>>
>>53073540
>Crown pallys aren't great anyway
That's what hurts the most, aside from their Spell list and their AoE Compelled Duel channel divinity they're not that great. They're good tanks in a game where a dedicated tank isn't really needed.

Giving a subclass focused about... Redeeming people? Or something? The same level 7 Aura of damage taking except better feels so dirty.
>>
>>53072443

i would just limit it to doors and anything suspicious. your way is super tedious, and honestly, tripping a trip can be a lot of fun...plus you're a rogue your dex save should save
>>
File: OhShitNiggerWhatAreYouDoing2.jpg (43KB, 366x380px) Image search: [Google]
OhShitNiggerWhatAreYouDoing2.jpg
43KB, 366x380px
>>53073651
>fighter
>trying to escape melee
>>
>>53072488

my build for casters typical involves (per spell level) one main damage spell (two if i want to diversify my damage types), then just situational stuff. and plus, you never know when you'll need that knock spell
>>
>>53073649
I know the pain, I've looked a few times but everyone's either running some special snowflake stuff, something heavily homebrewed to the point of being a new game or want voice which I can't do.

If I can get the motivation to do something I might end up DMing my own game but I've only done it twice and wasn't really good, so I'm not too confident about my abilities.
>>
>>53073649
Take a less brief look then
>>
>>53073706
>can't do voice
buy a mic?
>>
>>53073495
>he fell asleep at the table
What.
Anyway, paladin's have more options as they level up, gaining more spells and feats. But even at level 3 they should have a few level 1 spells. Bless, Bane (from his oath) and Command are great low level spells for him.
>>
>>53073727
Have a stutter when I'm nervous and live in a very loud place. Trust me no one wants to suffer through me tripping over words.
>>
>>53073630
what's GWM
>>
>>53073694
>Escape
>Not toss someone into environment stuff or give a squish the chance to run away

It's more about control in my opinion
>>
>>53073449

just make sure you ATTEMPT to learn the rules, be respectful and attentive when other players take their turns, and don't try to be disruptive.

as for the rules, if your DM/players aren't complete cunts, they won't mind if you goof up the rules
>>
>>53073745
Great Weapon Master
>>
>>53073744
Work on your shit, its only your own issues stopping you.
>>
>>53073744
You won't get better by avoiding the problem
>>
>>53073766
Honestly I'm just waiting for a few things in my schedule to fix and then start my own game. Worst case scenario I fuck up, delete my account and never have to deal with the people again.

Best case I have a game to DM.
>>
>>53073781
No one wants a DM that can't handle basic communication. Fix. Your. Shit.
>>
File: 1424201236709-3.png (143KB, 342x423px) Image search: [Google]
1424201236709-3.png
143KB, 342x423px
>>53073781
Not often I call someone a coward and mean it but come the fuck on man. If you fuck up you try again.
>>
>>53073799
Gee, that's handy advice. Don't know why I didn't think of that for my whole life. Wow. Wish my shrinks told me that.

Seriously though I've seen other people bitching there's no text only games so that's what I'll run, it's what I feel more comfortable with.

>>53073817
Well yeah somewhere down the line of course I would. Just not right away, I'd need time to bask in self-loathing.
>>
File: 46948766.cached.jpg (49KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
46948766.cached.jpg
49KB, 800x500px
Playing an illusionist for the first time soon. Any advice?
>>
>>53073839
Pick a theme and play it up.

Having illusionists that use whatever pops into the players can be fun for a little while, but it creates a spastic and unpredictable long term play experience. That's not to say don't be clever from time to time, but generally, stick within a specific wheel house. Better yet if your party starts to be able to pick up on your illusions IC due to how they tend to share certain characteristics.
>>
>>53073744
Play a guy who stutters and only talk in character. Everyone will just think you're devoted to the role.
>>
since most of the games i see are kind of rp centered, is there something like a combat centered game type?
i would like to just try and survive the game with my character, seeing how far i can go before i die, like in a roguelike
is that a thing?
i really don't care about talking to random made up people for shit i don't care about, i just wanna play the game and level up
>>
File: Myst_Tower.jpg (716KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Myst_Tower.jpg
716KB, 1024x768px
Need a quick basic-ish dungeon check. There's only one puzzle, but it's the whole dungeon:

>The whole tower is a labyrinth.
>The gates are perfectly black (impenetrable shadow, but intangible) so they can't see into the next room.
>Every time someone passes through a door, they come into the new room from a different side from the one they'd expect.
>Top door sends them left. Left door sends them down. Bottom door sends them right. Right door sends them up.
>Travelling through two of the same door in a row sends them back to the start. At the start, they'll see their past selves just finishing disappearing through the first door.
>Every time they revisit a cell after they've seen their past selves, they have a 20% (4/20) chance of encountering themselves. The selves they encounter will always attack.
>Each cell contains a map showing which cell they're currently in.

Map is attached (ignore the arrows, I was playing around with the idea of semi-randomised travel).

How long do you think it would take for them to solve, to get to the far top right cell (assuming they know that's where they're supposed to get to)? And if it's too easy, is there a better cell they should aim to get to?
>>
>>53073899
That's actually how D&D has always worked, RPfags just took over and cried when their snowflakes got mauled
>>
>>53073495
Oh, and, I mean, don't forget that you don't have to stick 100% to the rules if the narrative works better otherwise.

Say, BBEG throws a fireball at the party, right past paladin who's 40ft away from BBEG.
You might allow them to try to jump and catch it with their shield, using their reaction and a dex save. Success means the fireball is centred right in front of them instead (Which means it won't hit the entire party and also anybody behind the paladin has at least +2 to the dex save from half cover, if not +5)
However, you warn them, success or failure, they will fall prone, and success or failure they will take full fireball damage.

However, the problem there is making fair on-the-spot rulings when you're not good at 5e. Still, you can improvise and often not break the game in the process as long as players don't purposely try to abuse on-the-spot rulings.

>>53073694
>It's another 'I'm a melee character so I should melee this creature that instantly fucks up anything within 5ft of it' episode because otherwise I won't do optimal DPS'.
>>
>>53073921
PLEASE
DONT PLAY WITH MY FEELINGS
i fully expected a reply like "fuck off, why even play dnd then"
>>
>>53073900
It's a nice idea but I'm sure without a proper map or anything it'll end up being a massive farce of endless circles where a lot of the time they're guessing because they can't see ahead.
>>
>>53073934
>engaging a thing that fucks up anything within 5ft at all
pull out your bow and use tripping attack fool
>>
>>53073899
Old school dungeon crawls, even being new to DnD I learned that fairly early. Nowadays every wants a balance of RP, exploration and combat instead of a heavy focus on one.
>>
>>53073899
So would you prefer a dungeon crawling game where you collect something to get EXP and see how far you can get in the dungeon but
A) You have access to all sorts of non-combat more roleplaying things, such as being able to try to intimidate opponents or barter with an enemy to leave you alone or come join you, or make friends, or
B) You just want to play it more like a computer game where these non-combat actions aren't scripted and allowed? Probably to remove DM fiat from affecting how far you get.

>>53073954
But you still don't want to be within 5ft of it. And if it can be tripped, all you're doing is making it so that anyone trying to attack it at further than 5ft is going to have disadvantage to hit it and then it'll just stand on its own turn (So, I guess it's a matter in this case of tripping it to slow it down, but you'd be better off pushing it away)
>>
>>53073449
The battlemaster is my group gets a lot of mileage out of tripping attack, it doesn't work on everything but prone gives advantage to everybody. It's better when you pick up your second attack.

If you have a Rogue or Paladin in the party they'll love you for commander's strike. Precise attack is great if you have great weapon mastery.
>>
>>53073980
more like option B, but i wouldn't say "not allowed"
i am totally fine with others doing fancy shit i just personally want to play in a videogame-like way to push the limits of the combat rules
and yeah, i'd like the gm to be more like a human CPU and not an almighty god dictating everything as he sees fit
>>
>>53073980
>try to intimidate opponents or barter with an enemy to leave you alone or come join you, or make friends
You realize the bulk of the MM is "unthinking evil monster, irrationally tries to kill all it sees"
>>
>>53073995
The most important question when designing a dungeon crawl is, how much IC and OOC play is preferred? Straight dungeon crawls, with puzzles and traps you, yourself, try and solve can be tons of fun, but play vastly differently than a game in which you use rolls to search for traps and the like.

Although i think i prefer AD&D for a dungeon crawl anyway.
>>
>>53073980
you know people keep making the video game analogy but all those old video game tropes were modeled off the ttrpgs that spawned them. YOu play things like a "video game", you're actually just playing it like an oldschool ttrpg
>>
>>53074015
>Straight dungeon crawls, with puzzles and traps you, yourself, try and solve
this is exactly what i want and i will never get it
please kill me
singleplayer when
>>
Filled out a Roll20 application, is the fact they put "Pronouns" on their form for new players a bad sign?
>>
>>53073995
I don't know, that kind of ruins the appeal of D&D, aside from the fact you can make things up.

The DM kind of has to be an almighty fucker because otherwise if everybody tries to play optimal characters with no roleplay worth then someone's going to be overpowered with some stupid gimmick and the DM's going to have to tailor encounters to be a bit harder for that particular build to overcome. Well, no matter what, if the DM hasn't planned out a dungeon (Which could be ultra-diverse to make it hard on all kinds of playstyles at varying stages) then they'll have to make shit up at some point.

>>53074005
Yeah, well, it's shit senpai.
Don't make a game like 5e and then turn everything into 'Blind W+M1 attackers'.
>>
>>53074027
Yes.
>>
>>53073952
I can get rid of the arrows and provide a blank version to them - they're able to see where they are at any given time, just not where a door will take them.
>>
>>53074028
>Don't make a game like 5e and then turn everything into 'Blind W+M1 attackers'.
But those are what most of the attackers in 5e are, by the book.
It's not like 5e has much tactical depth to support much else anyway.
You rpfags need to understand the game has not actually evolved past hack and slash. If you want to rp, you should be playing something else.
>>
>>53074027
What do you think, xer?
>>
>>53074027
I hope you put "My liege" or something equally ridiculous. If they are deep enough to ask, then they either actually use it, or question themselves. Win/win.
>>
>>53074073
That's the point.

Because it lacks tactical depth, you need to add more depth to it by making enemies more interesting, otherwise it becomes 'I walk up to enemy, I roll to attack.' 'Okay, enemy's turn, enemy rolls to attack' on loop.

Buff all the monsters but make it so at least most intelligent creatures and things that aren't monstrosities and abominations of nature will run if they think their lives are in danger, or actually be somewhat shy of attacking the party if they don't have the upper hand, or they might even barter or try to get out of a fight. They'll still want to kill off the PCs and if they run they might show up later with some other enemies, but they still try to actually stay alive. Fucking darwin awards.

So then players are encouraged to say 'Oh, well, fuck, I stop attacking for a moment, take an opportunity attack and slam up to the door they came through, I'm not letting them get away this time' or they try to grapple, or they try to lure the enemies somewhere the players have the upper hand and they won't escape from.

>>53074060
If you have the map on display, I think it'd be a good non-critical area for the party to clear.
>>
>>53074117
>If you have the map on display, I think it'd be a good non-critical area for the party to clear.
Perfect, that's what I'm after. How long do you think it would take them to solve it, though? An hour? A session?
>>
>>53074277
Depends how long the combats take each time unless they just run past the combats, but I imagine it could be at shortest half an hour if they get into a routine very quickly or at longest two hours but considering there isn't anything else to look at in those rooms, or at least you haven't mentioned any such thing, I'll figure that it'd be an hour and fifteen minutes or so if they don't give up.
>>
>>53073937
As far as I can tell the other anon is telling the truth. I myself run a very combat heavy game, with just a little roleplaying. I could do with more, but my players aren't the most talkative or prone to taking the initiative.
>>
>>53074345
That's cool, I was looking for baseline time on what I had.

I'll look to expand it out a bit, maybe add some features to the rooms, make it more like session length. Cheers!
>>
Am I wrong to be annoyed that one character in the party outshine everyone else's?

None of the other players seem to care much and I didn't either until that player began to be able to do my role only better in most scenarios. The party is two fighters (one battlemaster, one eldritch knight), an underdarrk stalker ranger (me), a sorcerer, and a ua sorlock.

>The Sorlock has the highest average dpr.
>Out damaged the battle master GWM fighter when they action surged
>Is slightly worse at social skills than the sorcerer but has charm person/suggestion to make up for it
>Now has a cloak of elven kind and are now a better scout than me (cloak being an effective +10 to stealth, high perception score from ua warlock, familiars giving advantage on everything with help, and they has have a ton of rituals that effectively replace a good amount of skill checks)

I've already spoken with my group about it and they said I was over exaggerating and that they see it as the team effectively becoming better. Really, the only thing that I'm better than the sorlock at scouting wise is that I can move full speed while stealth, I have a faster fly speed (I'm an aarakocra and their a dragonborn with the UA wing feat), I have Disguise Self, or if I use Pass Without Trace which I only ever use to help the party pass stealth checks.

They also said I would always be the primary scout, which makes no sense to me to send out the person with +8 stealth and +5 perception when you can send out the person with +13 stealth, +10 perception, and with a bunch of autopass skill check rituals.

Am I being that guy for caring about the numbers too much? I realize the DM would've definitely given me something to balance things out if I had not voiced my complaint but the question is why for any amount of time is one person in the party the best at everything? It just feels crappy not being the best at what I built my character to do.
>>
What have been people's problems/issues with 5e?
>>
>>53074597
Can you describe their build more thoroughly?

They sound like they're kind of suboptimal anyway, but
>Allowing UA multiclassing
>Flying race ranger/blasters
Aside from that, it seems like they've foregone repelling blast (sorlock's main deal) for book of ancient secrets, which also requires 3 levels of warlock. Which means unless you're at a high level they won't have a lot to bonus action eldritch blast with.
Their stat balance should also be off as dragonborn is +2 strength which they don't need.

And how'd they get the cloak anyway? Why didn't you take it instead if you're supposed to be the scout?

In any case they seem suboptimal, but the problem seems more about how the DM is handling magic items.
>>
>>53074612
Onion moon druids are just silly.
>>
>>53074658
>>53074597
Or, uhh, if they didn't take book of ancient secrets for the mentioned rituals (And even then they'd only get up to spell level 2 rituals), they must've taken ritual caster which is a second feat which means they've used two ASIs instead of getting their stats up
So it sounds like the rest of your team's damage is absolute shite rather than them because they must still have, what, 16 charisma?

Maybe it's your build that's shit, because they don't sound like they're trying to be minmaxey, though I find being both a flying race and a sorlock kind of bullshittey.

In an ideal world your party would be:
Ranger: Does AoE ranged damage
Fighter: Does single-target focused damage
Sorlock: Does pushback to keep enemies from getting close
>>
Might be playing a level 2 WIzard, what should I pick for some spells other then Find Familiar? Rest of the party are a Fighter, a Ranger and a Paladin so damage is pretty much covered.
>>
>>53074612
Barring some edge cases, dual-wielding is a trap after level 5.
When it comes to optimizing damage, PAM+GWM have next to no competition.
Make that CBE+SS for ranged. CBE in particular is ridiculous.
Because martials have limited to non-existent control options, all they can do to be more effective is optimize damage.
As is endemic to DnD, caster supremacy, though to a lesser degree than other editions.
Point-buy and stat arrays are treated as 'variant rules', when bounded accuracy means that the impact of stats is significant and the game balances around starting with 16+ on your main stat.
>>
>>53074658

We're all 5th level. Raven Queen 4/ Sorcerer 1 I believe. I'm not too sure as I've never seen their character sheet. They're some sort of Aasimar/Dragonborn hybrid thing so I assume the stats are in correct places.

>And how'd they get the cloak anyway? Why didn't you take it instead if you're supposed to be the scout?
Found in a pile of magical items. I didn't take it because everyone seemed to want the warlock to take it, the DM chimed in twice about just giving it to the warlock and at that point I really didn't feel like trying to get it anymore.

>In any case they seem suboptimal, but the problem seems more about how the DM is handling magic items.
They're being handled fine. It's just this one instance where the DM wanted more players to be involved in the scouting segments of the games as I was the only one with a decent stealth score.

>>53074681
Their charisma is +4. And no, the DM let the warlock learn a ton of rituals using the large amount of gold he threw at us at one point.

>Maybe it's your build that's shit, because they don't sound like they're trying to be minmaxey, though I find being both a flying race and a sorlock kind of bullshittey.
I have a +5 to dex and I'm proficient in stealth, it really can't get much higher than that. We rolled for stats too, so that could be a part of the problem.

Also, the DM likes to throw big singular enemies so 9 times out of 10 horde breaker is worthless.
>>
>>53074725
Make sure you have plenty of rituals (And anything like the 100gp pearl for identify you might need), since you don't need to prepare those.

Shield, Grease, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Sleep (Only very useful at lower levels), Disguise Self, Chromatic Orb (Only very useful at lower levels), Thunderwave and Tasha's Hideous Laughter should all be viable picks outside of rituals.

>>53074740
>Rolling for stats
>DM allows non-ritual casters to get ritual casting when there's a fucking feat and invocation for that
>DM likes to throw big, singular enemies

Really kind of sounds like the DM is the problem here, not the player.

I'll be back in an hour and a bit, going to lectures.
>>
>>53074681
Also never said they were minmaxing, just that they were outperforming every other player in all aspects.

The Battle Master GWM has been running around +3 Strength for the longest time.
The Eldritch Knight never casts spells because they don't want to waste their spells slots.
The Sorcerer just takes whatever spells they feel like.
There was a point where I was doing the most damage simply because I made sure to put a +4 into Dex and used my ASI to bring it to +5.

I'm not blaming the player or the DM for it. I literally just want to know if my complaints about being overshadowed are legitimate or not.
>>
>>53074788
Complaints are valid, but the overshadowing problem is mostly due to DM rather than player is what I'm saying.
>>
>>53074788
If you are overshadowed because you built your character poorly and not because your class litterally cannot be optimized as well as someone else's, then no your complaints are not legitimate
>>
>>53074839
Thanks.

>>53074839
I really don't think I could be anymore optimized. Race with +2 Dex, +1 Wis, 4th level went straight to ASI to bring Dex to 20. Proficient in all skills related to scouting. Spells chosen to be useful for scouting. Unless I used to ASI for a feat for double prof to scouting skills but then my character would be worse off and still be outshined.

Really, a character with -1 Dex would still have an effective higher stealth score than mine (+8) because the cloak of elven kind gives advantage on stealth checks and disadvantage to find them (on average +10).

The cloak just fell into their lap and combined with their other skills it causes them to outshine me with their now +13 Stealth, high perception score, and their general utility rituals.
>>
>>53074916
Sounds like you should've been given the cloak since scouting is your thing. I'd discuss it with the party and see if the other PC is willing to give it to you. About the rituals, spells always shit on everything else. You should look into somehow getting them yourself. Or perhaps you can form a two man scouting party from now on and support each other.
>>
Playing CoS, we have no close combat fighters or cleric/paladin. Should someone multiclass or is it still doable
>>
I'm new to D&D, when making a War cleric, can I start with a martial weapon or is that something I have to find/ at my DM's discretion?
>>
>>53074740
> DM urge you to give warlock magic item
> DM give warlock free ritual casting as a class feature

Are you sure those two didn't have sex behind the screen?
>>
I'm playing Hoard of the Dragon Queen right now, and I really don't want t use a battlemat, and just want to display the map on a TV, but the secret rooms and what not are kinda obvious, how do I get past that?
>>
Help me build a character /5eg/

The concept is a pacifistic LG Redemption Paladin/Monk who works as a knight errant for his order that sends him on missions.
Basically an idealist cop who works hard on his job.

And yes UA multiclass is allowed but the DM outright banned some of the UA classes like Psions, Beast conclave ranger, Nuclear druid, Light warlock and Shadow sorcerrer.

Now i went with POINT-BUY + STANDARD HUMAN to get this:

13 Str
16 Dex
14 Con
10 Int
13 Wis
13 Cha

Starting at lvl 4.

What proficiencies or feats would be good?
>>
>>53074740
>Raven Queen 4/ Sorcerer 1.
>some sort of Aasimar/Dragonborn hybrid thing
Jesus christ, this game just sounds like a trainwreck
>>
>>53074740
Warlock 4 / Sorcerer 1 can't even do Quicken spell metamagic yet. The best they can do is 2d10+8.

> Aasimar / Dragonborn hybrid
okay this is a huge red flag both from the player and from the DM that allow it.

Also ritual casting take 10min+standard casting time. Are you sure he been doing that correctly?
>>
>>53075020
You do realise there's no reason to have a 13 over a 12 and it would be wise to lower a 13 to 12 so you can put something up to 14?
>>
>>53075015
>I'm playing Hoard of the Dragon Queen right now
I'm sorry for your loss.
>>
>>53075043
>there's no reason to have a 13 over a 12
13's are the requirement for multiclassing
>>
>>53075020
> Standard human
literally why?

Also why don't you dump STR for more CHA?
>>
>>53075043
WHAT ARE MULTICLASS RULES AND STAT REQUIREMENTS?
>>
>>53075054

Tell me what exactly is wrong with it? Besides the pacing is terrible and the descriptions are lacking.
>>
>>53075020
> Paladin / Monk
Is there even any benefit from this? Redemption Paladin already give you a better unarmored defense. If you want unarmed strike just get a feat.
>>
>>53075059
To get that sweet starting 19 AC wit no gear and Dex based Quarterstaff.

Can't Dump stats that are required for multiclass.

Standard human is a +1 to all stats and is ideal for this MAD build.
>>
>>53074998

>Sounds like you should've been given the cloak since scouting is your thing. I'd discuss it with the party and see if the other PC is willing to give it to you.

I did. The thing is I'd feel really bad if I just complained my way to magical item especially since I know the player in question is easily persuaded.

> About the rituals, spells always shit on everything else. You should look into somehow getting them yourself.
Seems like I might have to.

>Or perhaps you can form a two man scouting party from now on and support each other.
I wouldn't have a problem with that if the warlock wasn't a flat out better scout other outside of skills not taking 10 minutes (the DM has never once made scouting a time sensitive matter) and Disguise Self. I'd be less upset if another player was given the cloak because with the cloak the warlock is now best dpr/debatable best face/best scout/best utility.

>>53075014

It's pretty unlikely. The DM just thought it'd be nice to get more players involved in the stealthy segments as it was usually only me participating. I also seem to be the only on in the group aside from the warlock who cares about numbers.

>>53075038
It's an all around fun game most of the time. I really enjoy the group as well.

>>53075040
With Hex and Spiritual weapon they can do 2d10+1d8+3d6+12.

>Also ritual casting take 10min+standard casting time. Are you sure he been doing that correctly?

Yeah, the DM usually glosses over time when it comes to ritual casting or anything that takes a long time.
>>
>>53075075
It's WotC first module that was written before the official 5e release. You can see remnant of old mechanic that doesn't exist anymore everywhere (like level of alertness).
>>
>>53075057
I'm going to be quite honest and tell you the character's going to pretty much be terrible. It's literally the definition of MAD.

You need Strength for multiclass, Dexterity for attack, Con because everyone does, Wisdom for multiclass and charisma for multiclass. On top of this you're going to be behind in damage, your fists don't count for your redemption paladin feature and you'll be HIGHLY restricted on spells and abilities as a Pacifist.

Going pure paladin with STR Quarterstaff and having a 14 DEX would be better in every way.
>>
>>53075057
>>53075067
>they allow multiclassing at their table

lol
>>
>>53071386
A twenty seventh level red dragon slayer from the complete handbook of paladins (the kit came from it). He was glorious. A front line fighter, double specialized in the th sword style. He jumped off a mountain into the maw of a rising dragon on accident. The priestess cast a reversed age dragon on it, effectively freeing me the next round but between the fall, the bite and one round of constriction I was in the single digits in hp. He wasn't too bright but he was tough as nails, probably had the highest hp of any character I've ever played.
>>
>>53075093
I understand. I does feel old and odd compared to other modules I've played using 5e.

But any suggestions on the whole battlemat thing? I'd appreciate it.
>>
>>53075099
Well that's all good to know but I'm not the anon who posted the build
>>
>>53075088
Warlock only get bonus to perception when his Raven perch on his shoulder.

Raven that perch on shoulder is incapacitate (and thus can't use help action).

He is literally cheating at D&D.
>>
>>53075122

They have the Find Familiar ritual. So they have 2 familiars.
>>
>>53075099
>Caring about optimisation for damage and sheet

Dude the whole point was to make a flavourfull well rounded character.

Being Dex based with that one level Monk dip makes sure he's depending on only his Dex for attacks and AC.

Smites don't require Charisma since they are just a damage buff for your melee attacks, you need CON to maintain them.

As for the other spells.
Well the relevant ones are from the expanded list: Shield and Counterspell.
>>
>>53075132
Kill your character and play Lucky Diviner Halfling with Bountiful luck feat.
>>
>>53075147

I don't want to be a dick. I just want to have a role in the party.
>>
>>53075132
>They have 2 familiars
What the fuck, does that work?
>>
>>53075146
>you need CON to maintain them.

You don't, unless you miss.

You know smites only last for 1 attack, right?
>>
>>53075171

Raven Queen gets a familiar as a class feature. Find Familiar gives them another one.

Neither of them say you can't use both at the same time iirc.
>>
>>53075172
Yes.
But Charisma isn't required unless you want to use the ones that force saving throws.
>>
Bloody hell, I was away for a few hours and missed hundreds of posts. I've gotten used to the easygoing pace in the 40K RPG general.

>>53072023
>usually with both hands when they swing
Great Weapon Fighting and a Versatile weapon seems appropriate, yeah.
>>53071999
>>53072662
I actually really like that multiclass, and if you select the Pact and Oath carefully it can be a snug fit fluffwise. Fae Pact and Oath of Ancients are practically made to go together, for example, and with alignment restrictions a thing of the past, you could even pair up Fiend Pact with Oath of the Crown for a lawful knight who cut a deal with an archdevil, though he probably wouldn't be from a very nice kingdom. Undying Light warlocks fit pretty much any paladin Oath.
>>53073041
>Paladin of YHWH
Top kek, that actually fits disturbingly well
>>
>>53075153
How is that being a dick? You will get your niche in the party and everyone will love you.

>>53075180
That's because Raven queen's raven isn't really a familiar. It's something else that act similar to familiar (think find steed).
>>
>>53075110
Best suggestion, make scans, edit out secret rooms, use that on screens. I haven't actually got the material so I don't know what you have to hand, but if you're digitising it, that's what I'd go with.
>>
>>53075181
So...all of them?
>>
I don't understand the new college of the blade.

Slashing flourish seems useless, the damage is negligible.

Mobile flourish seems weird... there aren't that many situation where you want to push something then walk next to it again.
>>
>>53075217
Mostly I see it used to push people into fires, holes or into an AoE like Cloud of Daggers. Be all Swashbuckler-y with it.

Slashing flourish seems pretty shit though yeah, I would consider letting them add their ability score damage boost onto it.
>>
>>53075203
Most people don't use smites for their extra effects but for damage.
>>
3.5 question but w/e

Do 3rd books work with 3.5 or do they need to be converted? Books like Deities and Demigods didn't get a 3.5 version, I presume that's because there was no need, is that correct?
>>
>>53074916
Well, you have scouting down, but scouting is something that a familiar or something could do anyway.
So you're not really optimized in terms of roles you fill.

The fighters both already fill the combat roles you're barely really filling because I dare say a hunter ranger that took feats for better ranged combat would be more competitive damage-wise. Then, aside from having a half-assed combat role, the 'scout' role as I said before isn't worth so much.

ALSO I just checked Cloak of Elvenkind

Firstly, I'm not so sure advantage+disadvantage would be +10, but it's not that simple -

Most stealth checks are to avoid being heard, NOT to avoid being seen, so your DM is doing it wrong if enemies have disadvantage on all perception checks. Trying to get surprise in combat requires you to not be heard.
Because, I mean, usually enemies autosucceed at spotting someone who's in plain sight. Even if you're invisible, enemies can roll to hear you.
So if you're invisible, you're already much better than that stupid cloak.
It also only giving advantage on HIDE checks. This is not all stealth checks. It's a bit fuzzy, but 'sneaking up on someone' is not a hide check. Trying to hide behind a pillar and stay low is a hide check. Concealing your position in combat is a hide check. 'Slinking past guards' is a bit of a grey area.

So presumably your DM is giving the guy far too much shit they don't deserve, like wizard's main utility - vast ritual casting, along with extra stealth.
>>
>>53075641
>>53074916
Oh also you practically signed up for overshadowing: the game when you played a rolled stats game. where 4/5 players share class levels with another player.
>>
>>53075020
>Paladin/Monk
>In a game where everyone starts with balanced instead of overpowered stats
Do you hate being useful or something? Are you TRYING to be as MAD as physically possible?

I bet you'd take levels of psionic if your DM didn't ban it and then end up with 13/14/14/13/14/13.

I mean, sure, you don't have to be 100% optimal, you can be 50% optimal, but holy shit what is even the point of this
>>
>>53075716
Redemption Paladin 3/Monk 1

16+DEX mod= 19 AC
DEX Quarterstaff to use with their SM feature.
Decent Con.
Only needs to invest ASI into raising DEX and either CHA for spell save DC or CON for durability.

Since when has a 16 in your main stat become something bad?
Even as Variant Human you can't get more than 16 unless you take Resilient in that stat or some other feat that may raise it.
>>
>>53075775
Most people could have 16 in three stats in this case, especially considering paladin would be best off with 16 charisma and con as well.

Without UA multiclassing, you wouldn't be able to have decent AC without wearing armour and you'd be left in a trainwreck of losing monk features or having shit AC.

... But, yes, I made a pretty big oversight in not seeing it was supposed to be a redemption paladin.

But basically what's going on is getting PAM but worse but dexterity.

So, eh. I guess it's fine if you want to run a dexterity paladin specifically. It's not much worse than using shillelagh instead.

I'd give it a pass, unlike my autistic overreaction suggested. Though I'm not too fond of any of the UA paladins.
>>
>>53075775
Odd ability score triggered people.
He has multiple 13, that triggered a lot of people.
>>
Anyone have any other Volo's maps other than the Beholder Lair in the mega?
>>
So, I have five towers, each of which is a dungeon. The towers are in a mirror plane to the main one, and completing the tower affects the main world quite significantly. They have to take a specific portal to get to the mirror plane.

I'm making each tower quite extensive, with lots of puzzles and traps, but each one needs to be available for the party to go to from the start, so they might end up going to any one of them. Each has different themes, so they're not interchangeable.

Given I don't have enough time to plan all five before they're likely to go to one, I'm going to make there be keys to each tower, so they have to find the key before they can enter it.

Given no one has entered the mirror plane in over a thousand years, the keys are going to be hidden away with ancients like dragons or old elves.

But the question is, how can I make it not bullshitty that the towers can ONLY be accessed by the key, rather than creative thinking, given that I can't provide them with a dungeon unless I have time to plan it out first?
>>
>>53071999
Warlock patron: fae, paladin oath of ancients.
>>
File: Ass.png (31KB, 659x255px) Image search: [Google]
Ass.png
31KB, 659x255px
Anyone here getting A Touch of Class cause 5e lacks all the choices of master race 3.5?

Also will post pdf once the fucking kickstarter is done
>>
>>53075873
Just have the towers look the same from the outside, so you can only determine what tower it is once you enter it. Then you can always have the first tower they enter the first one you made, unless they peak through the door and leave for another tower.
>>
>>53075847
The problem isn't odd ability scores, but forcing yourself to have odd ability scores by way of multiclass requirements when you really kind of need those ability scores elsewhere.
>>
>>53075936
Someone else mentioned it before
It's shit senpai
I can't remember why
It's just shit
>>
>>53075956
noooooo
I just want to be superedgy demonman
>>
File: Ahkyrreah.pdf (636KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Ahkyrreah.pdf
636KB, 1x1px
>>53075936
Looks shitty, but I wanna see it.

Also, here is the weird shark stuff that the other DM was asking about.

It's balanced, but feels boring.
>>
>>53075939
I'd like to do it that way, but the towers are mapped to the cities.

So the Void Tower is mapped on top of where the city of criminals and monsters is in the main plane, Iron is mapped to the human city, and so on, thematically.
>>
File: 1484343519084.png (109KB, 500x516px) Image search: [Google]
1484343519084.png
109KB, 500x516px
>run first session with group of friends
>best friends character is awful
>literally just a cowboy from earth but celestial so he can use "extra-planar" as an excuse
>says nigger all the time in character
>uses artificer so he can have a d10 ranged weapon at level 1
>just went out of country for 2 weeks
>have no way to contact him and tell him to have a new character ready by next session
My boy is in for a bit of a surprise, hopefully he takes it well
>>
>>53076012
What.
>>
File: 1493565721211.gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1493565721211.gif
2MB, 400x300px
>>53076033
I'm gunna give him a day to fix it once he is back or move on without him
wouldnt feel bad normally, but he's my best bud
I even made like 3 possible characters if he cant think of anything
I'm not screwing over 3 other people just because he made a retarded character
>>
>>53076004
Then you probably have to map out every tower sufficiently before the players get a chance to get there.
>>
>>53075936
I'm getting it and upgraded to the two physical copies because my DM spotted me some cash. I too want to play as an edgy demon man.
>>
>>53072488
I DM a game where the lvl 2 bard just swicthed his vicious mockery for prestidigitation - his other cantrip is mage hand (they are currently getting their asses kickeed by kobolds - its a great party)
>>
>>53076012
Shouldn't artificer give a 2d6 ranged weapon
And even then, that's not broken.
>>
>>53076075
nice, pls post the 45 subclasses later cause I'm a poorfag
demonshit has been lacking so far in 5e, cept for the crazy black magic arcana bit
also interested in the cultist abomination thing
>>
>>53076083
2d10*
He claims he brought a gun from his home plane
>>
>>53076071
Damn. Is it really too bullshitty to say "the door is sealed, and there's no other way in" so they find the key?
>>
>>53076187
Yes.
>>
What are some ways I can have my rogue/warlock pay tribute to his patron? His main aspect is greed, and they share a mutually beneficial relationship.
>>
>>53076187
>>53076197
No.
>>
>>53076241
>>53076197
>>53076187
Yes it is.
>>
File: IMG_1418.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1418.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>53076252
No it isn't
>>
>>53076187
>>53076197
>>53076241
To weigh in. Why even present the tower as an option if you are going to prevent them from going in?

You can do a false option. Have the bottom room of every tower be a small portal maze that may lead them to one of the other towers.

You could try to lead them to the tower(s) you have already prepared. "The interesting thing that you guys seemed to want is in this tower." "Your NPC friend is trying to get into this tower." or whatever.

You can draw out every trip to a tower so you get time to flesh out the tower they're travelling to.

Alternatively, you could just work on the first few levels of every tower (roughly enough for one session), instead of finishing one tower at a time.

Just going "Okay you made it to the pink tower. The door is locked. (after some investigation or whatever) the key is in the tower of songs" is extremely lazy and will make your players annoyed with the flow of the game.
>>
>want to have party face a chessmaster in the BBEG's Dracula castle
>not all that good at chess myself
Would it be too much bullshit if I use a hard AI opponent from a chess game to play for the chessmaster?
>>
>>53072488
If you want a class that doesn't feel gimped for not using 'i smash' spells, your only option is a really descriptive+lenient DM, or >mystic
>>
>>53076303
Would you object to your players using an even tougher AI to beat yours?
>>
>>53076303
You can do it subtly if you have chess running on your phone behind the screen, then make every move they make (and let the bot respond) then copy the bots move in real life.

You can make this less apparent if something happens between every move (exchange of words, fights, other puzzles.)
>>
>>53076303
Only problem is if the players ask about chess-related things. 'So, why did you move that piece there?'
'Uhh.. B-because if the king doesn't go first, the rest will follow?'
>>
>Just going "Okay you made it to the pink tower. The door is locked. (after some investigation or whatever) the key is in the tower of songs" is extremely lazy and will make your players annoyed with the flow of the game.

Not the guy with the tower problem but giving my players big clues or even just flat out stating the answer upon a successful knowledge check was ALWAYS welcomed without complaint. You're the first I've ever seen to declare something negative about that.

Plus I disagree with creating that much more work for the DM.
>>
File: latest[1].png (176KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
176KB, 500x375px
How do I Hoss Delgado?
>>
>>53076303
Nope.
>>
>>53076303
Change the difficulty according to the character's Int.
>>
>>53076335
The problem isn't that it's easy to find out where the key is. The problem is that it's a clear railroad of 'Oh, you cannot enter this tower before you go in thise tower'.

Heck, even false choice feels slightly railroadey (A false choice is no choice at all and won't feel like a choice, much like how choosing between 4 directions with no idea where any of them goes isn't a choice).

The best solution is DMAnon plans a rough idea out for the start of each tower and makes sure the players know a decent amount about each tower so it's actually a meaningful choice.
>>
>>53076303
Actually, on second thought, how on earth would you use game set proficiency (Chess) in this case?
>>
>>53076335
There is nothing wrong about giving the clue. The problem lies in pretending that the players have the freedom to go to every tower, and then tell them (after they make the journey to one tower) that they have to go to another tower.

Think about this. What if all the towers held a key to another tower, except ONE tower which is unlocked.

Then the players could potentially make the journey to every tower until they reach the last one, then find the key and go to another tower (which they have already visited).

This is boring and annoying. Even worse, imagine if the keys weren't labled. The players could go to and fro the same towers five times or something. Is that fun? No.
>>
>>53071698
Paladins shine in CoS, they're pretty much worth 2 PCs.
If they get a quickstart like an extra feat or a healbot and don't go up against swarms of mooks they'll be fine.
>>
>>53076366
For each one to have that skill, let them re-do one more.
>>
>>53076366
Adjust the difficulty of the AI for the bonus.
>>
>>53075873
>how can I make it not bullshitty that the towers can ONLY be accessed by the key, rather than creative thinking,
This is fundamentally a bad idea, but if you've given it some thought, and think that robbing them of their agency and the satisfaction of coming up with a creative solution to something in-world thought impossible, and so on, you can do it by simply establishing that attempts have been made to breach the towers by a powerful mage, and he/she concluded that the magic that was warding the towers was some unknown ritual seemingly more powerful than a 9th level spell (or, if spell levels don't exist in your lore, "significantly stronger than the most powerful spells ever produced by mages in recorded history.")

Just weigh into it that this will seem like some stupid bullshit handwaving, but at the very least if you mention this before the players get invested in fucking with a tower, you won't be taking candy directly out of their mouths.
>>
>>53076327
This would be how I'd do it. I'm already clicking and tacking away behind the screen to keep track of and manage things so my players would be none the wiser
>>53076322
Half of my players are physicists and the other half are also pretty smart except for the weeb so chances are they won't need to
>>53076366
I agree with >>53076374
Handwave it as them expecting the move
>>
>>53072548
I'd just swap con and wis, let the space open for a possible resilient con
>>
>>53072220
>Three attacks with dueling: 3d8+21 (34.5)
>Four attacks with TWF: 4d6+20 (34)
It's really unfortunate, really.
>>
>>53076396
"think that it's worth". Whoops.
>>
>>53076397
Chess is a very particular skill. Simply "being smart" does not make you good at chess. It might make you able to beat someone else with the same amount of experience with chess, but unless we're talking about some championship level motherfuckers, anyone going against someone with like 25% (to a minimum of 5 hours) more chess playtime than them, is almost certainly going to lose, and it really isn't terribly important if their IQ is 90 or 110, or if they're a burger flipper or an oncologist.
>>
>>53075012
if you use the item kits from the class, you get a warhammer if you are proficient with it.
>>
Running a one or two shot level 17 campaign. Each character is getting a tailored legendary item to fit their character.

Fighter has a +3 dragon slaying longsword that also gives advantage against breath weapons, frightful presence ect.

Bard has an adamantine +2 rapier that does an extra 2d8 sonic damage and instakills any construct left on 25 or less health.

Dwarf Ranger asked and wants instead of a standard pet, for his legendary item to basically be a wyrmling dragon as his companion.

It doesn't seem too powerful since they are level 17 and it is a one shot but I'm still not sure, maybe should I give him one of those tough drakes instead?

Thoughts?
>>
>>53076478
Wyrmlings are quite weak. Exchanging a normal pet for a wyrmling wont break the game.
Honoestly I might have given him a wyrmling plus a weak magic item.
>>
I'm thinking of giving Rangers a version of Magic Weapon but for their animals. So basically Magic Fang.

I'm thinking that I might remove the concentration from it just because Beasts having no way to fight immunity is a pretty big issue.
>>
>>53075012
Ask the GM if you're using starting equipment or starting gold (or both).

>starting equipment
You get more value (in almost every case) but you might end up with some useless items. Quicker.

>starting gold
You get considerably less money, but you can spend it on the items that fit your character. Slower.

I'd advise against starting gold, it's very punishing and slower.
>>
Seeing that no one is updating the folders, would you mind if someone made a new trove?
>>
>>53076538
What, the UA?
>>
File: dwarfkatana.jpg (100KB, 400x577px) Image search: [Google]
dwarfkatana.jpg
100KB, 400x577px
>>53072736
It's actually even cooler.
>>
>>53076283
>Why even present the tower as an option if you are going to prevent them from going in?

I want each tower to be accessible from the start. The only reason that I'm thinking of slowing their entry is because I don't have enough time available to plan out five full dungeons before they potentially pick one to enter.

They're also only likely to complete one or two - once they're completed, the world starts unhinging and falling apart, because the mirror plane is sort of the "source code" for the real world, and the towers (and the artifacts at their core) are the hubs that hold them together.

Pulling out the artifact causes damage to the world, so the party is likely to complete a tower, realise the problem (or not, until they've done 1-2 more and the damage ramps up) and stop taking the artifacts (though there's story in place for if they do all five).

>>53076396
I'm not looking to handwave - but equally, the players are likely to be a maximum of about level 5 when they encounter their first tower. If there are no windows or anything, would it be reasonable for me to discourage them heavily from trying to break in, but allow it in the long run if they do something spectacularly creative, with the backup plan that I'll nick one of the other towers and come up with a new theme for that one? It's not my first choice, but it allows for both eventualities without locking them out.

>>53076335
>>53076367
My players are quite reasonable and likely to pursue a hook rather than bullshit their way around if I present them with it.

Would it be sensible to let them get to the tower, and have the door in some way indicate where the key is in the main plane (like a general map, or perhaps some sort of vision), so they go pursuing it instead of trying to break in? I think they'd go for it.
>>
File: Ranger-Battle_for_Wesnoth.png (164KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Ranger-Battle_for_Wesnoth.png
164KB, 400x400px
Looking into making a low magic West Marches campaign. Are there any good resources for low magic 5e? Or decent martial classes on the dmsguild? I've already picked up the Pugilist.
>>
>>53076595
Add the Artificer (UA, not Eberron).
It's as low magic as you can get with magic.
>>
>>53076556
Yes, and in general, I have my own personal Trove that i could upload to mega,
>>
File: floorbreak.webm (2MB, 576x304px) Image search: [Google]
floorbreak.webm
2MB, 576x304px
>>53073694
Any Battlemaster that doesn't have Pushing Attack and Menacing Attack is doing it wrong.
15 foot knockbacks are incredible.

You can force dismounts (even better against guys on flying mounts),
end grapples on your allies,
OHKO creatures by hurling them off cliffs,
play keep-away with melee-only enemies,
secure your own retreat/reposition,
knock enemies into hazards (fireplaces, spikes, pools of whatever, their own allies, an AoE your casters are maintaining),
juggle enemies into the air and let 'em take extra falling damage,
and just look like an all-around badass as you blast dudes halfway across a room.
>>
>>53076012
This is why session 0 exist
>>
File: IMG_1134.jpg (109KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1134.jpg
109KB, 768x1024px
>>53076456
This.

For as much as Chess is placed on a pedestal for the "cultured" and "intelligent" throughout the years, at the end of the day, it's just another BOARD GAME.

And we should all know that anyone from any walk of life, even sleeping in a cardboard box and getting his game time on the free internet at the library, can get good at a game if they play it long enough and study.

Chess isn't some direct test of ones general intelligence. It's just a good an indicator of intelligence as World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Magic: The gathering, and D&D is.
>>
>>53073954
>use Dex as a Str Fighter and make an enemy waste half its speed (usually 15) standing up so it takes longer to reach the party but now all ranged attacks against it between your turn and its have disadvantage
>or use Strength while throwing javelins and simply pushing it back 15-30 feet every round
>>
Hey TG
Disbanded the 5e group I have been running for 8 months or so yesterday.

I feel bad because it was one of the players annoying me but I know it would be a huge drama if I kicked them. I like the rest of the group but this guy was cheesing, trying to rules lawyer me. The line that was ultimately crossed was this.
>Tell me where in the book it says I can't fly.
Keep in mind he's a level 2 druid.
Another player actually found the page where it says it, for me the fact he argued the point rather than accept my ruling was just too much especially as I've been really lenient and tried to accommodate the players where ever I can.

Kinda pissed off about it.
>>
>>53076620
Sorry, I should have stated no magic to start with as opposed to low magic.

The premise is the town they started in had long since turned to isolation due to the fear of the outside world but the reasons for it have long been forgotten over the years. The players will take over the eager youth of the town looking to explore rather than become the next line of farmers or whatever.
The players will start with only martials and maybe clerics, and then if they discover stuff like a wizards tower they could loot the library and take it home for new characters to becomes wizards in the future. But in the beginning it would be low to no magic
>>
>>53076680
>running a game for eight months and the Druid is still level 2
>>
>>53076714
We where 3 sessions into a new campaign and they are a Barbarian with 2 levels in Druid.
>>
File: Cartographical Hook.png (105KB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
Cartographical Hook.png
105KB, 2550x3300px
How would you guys do rolls and mechanics for surveying the land?

I'm giving my players coastline maps for them to fill in with what ever they find on an exploration focused campaign and I"m wondering what mechanics I can throw at them for it.

Image is the first map they've gotten, someone already made it and they acquired it.
>>
>>53076680
As one DM to another, you got to harden yourself to these things, and remain calm.

NEVER be afraid to politely tell somebody "I'm sorry this isn't working out. Feel free to find another game." And if that means you're going to lose additional players because of some sense of loyalty or because they're dating then so be it. It's not worth getting angry over a glorified game of pretend.

Just take what's left of the group, recruit replacements, and carry on.
>>
>>53076737
First I'd see if I can reroll my Mapmaking skill to put the compass rose or the scale in the empty ocean rather than sucking up space in the landmass I'd like to detail and explore.
>hey chief, what's over here
>oh, uh, that's the... united realm of... westpointia.....
>>
Do moon druids become basically invincible with their wild shape or how does it work with regards to HP?
>>
>>53076758
It just gives them extra health, not unkillable.
>>
File: Cartographical Hook.png (75KB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
Cartographical Hook.png
75KB, 3300x2550px
>>53076755
Great idea, thanks! I've removed them all together, there is no safe place for a compass and a scale, I'm going to let my players draw that.
>>
>>53076804
So when the animal form hits 0 HP it's 0 HP for the druid in all forms?
>>
>>53076743
Problem is I work in a high pressure industry where there's a strong chain of command. When one of my underlings fucks up i run them over coals when I fuck up I get run over coals. I play dnd to escape that frame of mind but I know if he got argumentative I'd escalate very quickly and I can't be bothered with things like that outside of work.

Just spent a day managing people and making sure everyone knows their place. Get home want to relax with some dnd, I don't want to be putting people in their place in my leasure time.
>>
>>53076758
Loads of extra health twice a short rest but low AC but you can still use class features (even from multiclasses such as unarmoured defence) or concentration spells that you've already cast or whatever.

Personally, I think it's stupid.

>>53076828
No, they revert to normal with their normal health.
>>
File: Cartographical Hook.png (81KB, 3300x2550px) Image search: [Google]
Cartographical Hook.png
81KB, 3300x2550px
>>53076815
>>53076755
Oh and here's some context.
>>
>>53076852
>twice a short res
So they can only turn into a hyena twice before it's GG?
>>
I want to try to DM for the first time and introduce some friends to D&D, but i don't think i can get a proper 4-5 players party, at max 3.

i've been reading about the adventurer's league encounters and the first one (defiance at phlan) seems pretty good to introduce players to the game. several one-shots of about an hour, designed to take players from lvl 1 to 2 and highlighting factions and different kinds of gameplay.

how about this idea of running these with 3 players so they can get to lvl 2 and after that get them to play lost mines of phandelver?
>>
A few months ago someone posted a PDF of how to play Strahd von Zarovich, I didn't happen to save it and my CoS game is coming up. Anyone have an idea about it?

It was a large PDF that talked all about how he interacts with characters and how to play him well.
>>
>>53076872
Yeah boy. Not unkillable.
>>
>>53076906
Cool. Thanks. I really wish my players and I could read.
>>
>>53076896
This would be amazing to have.
>>
>>53076848
Dude, I'm in the military. I can relate. I know exactly where you're coming from.

That said, when you drag someone over the coals at work it's usually in the interests of rehabilitating their behavior. During your free time, you don't have to worry about pulling somebody back into line - because you can just get rid of them. Be polite about it, get ready for temper tantrums, but think of it as ripping off a band aid. You won't have to put up with their shit ever again.
>>
>>53071627
>>53071627
I dont know
>>
>>53076687
The artificer gets magic at level 4.
You could make them only gunsmith.
Because gun.
>>
My GM threw a super powerful sword at us. It is a Longsword which nobody wants to use, so it fell on me, the lore bard, because it adds charisma when I wield it.

I am not sure what to do with this, but the stats according to Identify:
3+ Longsword
+3 to hit and damage (as usual), wearer gains +2 charisma when held in your hand.
As a Reaction, the sword can make a sweeping wind outwards, granting a +5AC against ranged attacks. (So a bad Shield spell)
As a bonus action, it can do 1 of the following 4 things:
-An additional attack which is purely Force damage (wind or something)
-Set up a guard stance (just dodge, so disadvantage to be hit
-Take a jump action at 3 times the normal length, with no required distance moved
-Charge the blade, making it possible to add the damage of a normal weapon attack, as a modifier to the next spell cast which rolls it's effect. If the spell is cast as a bonus action, it can be cast at the same time you use this feature.

The last one is very interesting. I asked if this just applied to all spells where you roll dice to determine the effect, and he said yes, and further said that I could always use the versatile die for this.

So my bard is at 10 strength, because I hadn't thought I'd ever consider use a strength weapon. But still, adding 1d10+3 on top of *any* spell - this has a fun interaction with healing word, or Aura of Vitality. (though not goodberries, no roll).

Any good ideas for how to use this well? There are no restriction on the amount any of this can be used.
>>
>>53077177
Magic Missile. Fun quirk about how damage is rolled for that spell.
>>
>player is a doofus
>edgy warlock that uses devils sight and becomes sasuke and chidori EB
>dies 3 times to stupid decisions but gets ressed
>quits
>turn his character into a villain
>all he does is cause the characters shit tons of grief through incompetence
>steals a character's dog and sales it to some sailors

Having a le so randum reoccuring villain is actually pretty fun.
>>
>>53077239
That's not a real villain, that's comedy relief. Just don't use him too often over a short period.
>>
>>53077216
Yeah, but first off: Bard, furthermore, the GM has ruled it differently, because of how game breaking it can be.
>>
Slight lore question. How does anybody run a country in D&D settings with monsters pushing their shit in all the time? Is this why the Dagger Coast in Unforgettable Realms is made up of city-states and crap?
>>
>>53076403
I thought wis was pretty important for paladins?
>>
>>53077446
Kind of.
You want a military presence in you walls that won't be spread out, so beyond city states is pretty hard to justify.
>>
>>53077446
Either the country runs its taxes like a protection racket (just because you're paying up doesn't mean you're actually protected) or they concentrate all their guards within their towns instead of their borders - like city states

"Points of Light" and shit
>>
Toasting in new bread >>53077888
>>
>>53076652
What IS this movie? I've seen a lot of its scenes, but never a name.
>>
Expansion to >>53073900

and ongoing work for >>53075873

The map for the Myst Tower now resembles this picture.

The rules are:

>The whole tower is a labyrinth.
>The gates are perfectly black (impenetrable shadow, but intangible) so they can't see into the next room.
>Every time someone passes through a door, they come into the new room from a different side from the one they'd expect.
>Top door sends them right. Left door sends them up. Bottom door sends them left. Right door sends them down.
>Each room contains a map showing where they are, but not how they got there.
>When they enter a cell, they enter it as if they'd intended to head in that direction - i.e. if they go through the left door of the previous cell, they'll come in through the bottom door of the cell above.
>Travelling through two of the same door in a row (from their perspective) sends them back to the start, i.e. turning left, then turning left again
>At the start, they'll see their past selves just finishing disappearing through the first door.
>Every time they revisit a cell after they've seen their past selves, they have a 1/20 chance of encountering themselves. Every time they return to the start, the chance increases by 1/20.
>The selves they encounter will always attack.

The map notes:
>Return sends players back to ENTRY
>Locations: Cave, Camp, Throne are all silent visions of what's occurring in those locations at that time
>Crying Child is a location the party haven't visited yet, with a crying child they can't interact with but providing a hook for a sidequest
>Mosaic is artwork that explains the purpose of the towers to give them an insight into the plot
>Target is where they find the artifact that completes the tower
>The Future Chosen is a vision of where their current plot choices will end up, in the worst possible way
>Home...? is a vision of the land they've been abducted from

Does this seem like a complete dungeon or is it lacking?
>>
My party just finished white plume mountain. The barb is going to refuse to give up blackrazor.

They were sent to retrieve these weapons because they are prone to causing trouble by the commander of the military force in neverwinter. They were offered basically a mundane wish, anything they could want.

How should I approach this, they are going to deliver wave and whelm but refuse to give blackrazor.

They will be in the middle of neverwinter so I'm thinking of creating an escape from LA esque thing.
>>
>>53075249
If you just want damage, you have no reason to use the spell smites. The class feature smite will always outdamage it, and it doesn't require the weird concentration bullshit
>>
>>53077472
Charisma is their casting stat.
>>
>>53076678
You can't keep drawing javelins because retarded rules. You can throw like one a turn, two if you're a dual wielder.
>>
>>53078903
you can throw up to four if you have two readied.
>>
>>53077177
Oh, here we go with the 'I want to be the anime guy' jerk-off swords again.

I bet its only relevance to the plot is 'The BBEG will offer you a one-time-only surprised face when he sees you with this sword'.

At least tell me you're of a decently high level
Thread posts: 360
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.