[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 374
Thread images: 45

File: Song of ice and fire.jpg (132KB, 864x864px) Image search: [Google]
Song of ice and fire.jpg
132KB, 864x864px
Fifth Edition General Discussion Thread

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised subclasses
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/7e74b19937c1

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/
>>53057017

How much of session time do you spend on adventuring in dungeons, and how much on less dangerous activities, such as drinking in the taverns or courting your waifus?
>>
>>53063100
But my waifu is the dungeon.
no seriously the party was super-miniaturized and we're sailing through her blood vessels in a wooden submarine to kill some evil demon-parasites that godmagic doesnt work on
>>
File: 1489174881712.png (75KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1489174881712.png
75KB, 800x600px
>>53063100
>How much of session time do you spend on adventuring in dungeons, and how much on less dangerous activities, such as drinking in the taverns

Depends on what all is happening, if they are already in town normally half of our four to five hour session is drinking, going to stores, getting the next quest or intel.

If they are already in a dungeon normally a full session to get through most if not all.

>courting your waifus?

Keep that shit in pfg
>>
>>53063150
Your DM made an episode of the Magic School Bus into a dungeon, I'm not sure if I should be impressed or sad for you.
>>
Asking for new thread.

>Idea for a villain
>Literal power gamer who's making as many contracts with fiends, pledges to fae courts, commitments to the Gods as he can
>Hoping to amass as much power as quickly as possible before they all get wise and tear his soul apart

Is this any good or is it just total shit?
>>
File: 1493817497536.jpg (21KB, 500x328px) Image search: [Google]
1493817497536.jpg
21KB, 500x328px
How does one play dungeons other than "I roll perception" every 5 feet?
>>
File: sarindar-acuarela.jpg (40KB, 560x450px) Image search: [Google]
sarindar-acuarela.jpg
40KB, 560x450px
Reposting in the new thread.
>>53062907
>Has anyone done Adventurer's League?

>I am wondering what the rules are for buying and selling mundane equipment between sessions.
>>
>>53063208
>the Alchemist's metal bear walks 30 feet in front of the party
>if it dies, we push it with a 30 foot shovel
>>
>>53063208
you can break down the walls and skip the traps
>>
>>53063206
I like it, especially since you can have his death result in a celestial war over his soul since he promised it to so many beings
>>
>>53063208
DMs not being shit and letting passive perception spot traps, or instead making traps more like puzzles and obvious instead of hidden.
>>
>>53063223
>Has anyone done Adventurer's League?
Thankfully, no. There's no reason to play AL, unless you're really desperate.
>>
>>53063208
>assaulting a castle
>yeah we could scale the walls and fight our way into the keep and then find the throne room
>idk lets just drink these potions of gaseous form and float through the BBEG's bedroom window at night
>>
>>53063251
The problem with passive perception is once the DM knows the party's perception, he knows whether any trap he makes is going to spring on you or not.
>>
>>53063179
>not having a waifu in your game
Wow it's as if you don't like developing relationships with PCs
>>
Any word on when will the trove be updated with the new adventurers league modules? Or was that abandoned?
>>
>>53063252
>Already running a weekly game
>Local Game Store runs AL twice a week

Yup, I am desperate.
>>
>>53063273
That's great, but does the creature that set the trap know?
>>
File: IMG_8461.jpg (753KB, 2073x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8461.jpg
753KB, 2073x3000px
>>53063203
>>
>>53063302
Considering the DM is in charge of that creature, yes.
>>
>>53063295
>just wanting to play D&D with no homebrew bullshit
>>
>>53063273
True but it atleast speeds up some instances instead of every single point needing a roll.

>>53063278
>Wanting to flirt with a bunch of sweaty dudes at a table

I might browse /fit/ but I'm not that deep into it. Occasionally stuff here or there can fly to start relationships but after that you do it off screen.
>>
>>53063320
So kobolds know how to make near undetectable traps, because the DM metagames?
>>
>>53063352
Joke's on you, I'm a girl and so is the DM. It's not gay when women do it.
>>
>>53063273
A DC isn't just some arbitrary number, it's supposed to reflect the actual difficulty of the check. The DM knowing a player's passive perception doesn't suddenly make an enemy better at hiding or capable of constructing a more subtle trap.
>>
>>53063365
If the DM decides you should get hit by a trap, yes. That's how it works when he can know with 100% certainty every time whether the party will passively spot a trap or not. He's just deciding whether you will blunder into this or not. Your only defense is to say "we search for traps" every X feet in a room or to convince your DM to roll for the DC of his traps.
>>
>>53063258
>no siege weapons
>>
>>53063223

To sell mundane equipment, you can do it at the end of the session when you return to some form of civilization with stores and such; you can sell your gear for half the price listed on the PHB unless it's damaged (Armor or weapons being ruined by a jelly or consumables going halfway down).

On your logsheet at the end of the session just write on the notes what you're selling for how much GP so it adds to the total of GP you will be starting at the beginning of the next session, provided you don't spend the GP (If you do you obviously do the math and write in the notes what you will be buying and such).

If you don't return to civilization then at the beginning of the next module, talk to the DM about visiting a town with a shop and do the buying and selling before the session starts.
>>
>>53063371
It's still gay, just no one complains or is weirded out by it.
>>
>>53063379
>I know the passive perception of my party is 10, 10, 11, 13, and 16
>I need some traps for this dungeon
>we'll put a spike trap here
>it'll be about an average difficulty, so DC 15
>oh, the Cleric will see it every time
>here's a fireball trap over here
>this was made by a really clever Wizard so the DC will be 20
>oh, no one's going to see it
You're looking just at effect and not cause. The DM is in control of the NPCs and the dungeon and everything else. At this point he's just going to decide if you hit a trap or not. If he doesn't want you to find a trap, he'll just increase the DC to whatever arbitrary level is necessary to beat your passive perception, and come up with the justification after the fact; oh, it wasn't kobolds who made this one, they had hobgoblin allies at one point. He can justify anything. Every trap you find and every trap you don't stems first and foremost from the DM's decisions. Don't be retarded and pretend you don't understand.
>>
>>53063390
Why destroy a perfectly good castle when you could just assasinate
>>
>>53063388
How about, base DC of 15, then a 50/50 chance of either adding or subtracting a d6 from the DC
>>
>>53063432
>implying shoujo-ai is gay
>>
>>53063434
>If he doesn't want you to find a trap, he'll just increase the DC to whatever arbitrary level is necessary to beat your passive perception
If the DM doesn't want you to find a trap it doesn't matter whether he's asking you to roll or not. How is this even difficult for you to understand?
>>
File: 1489520830531.jpg (42KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1489520830531.jpg
42KB, 600x800px
>>53063459
I have no fucking clue what that is but if it's two dudes or two chicks its gay.
>>
>>53063469
The DM can just say rocks fall you all die if they're doing that already
>>
>>53063469
Because now he's not hiding behind the die and giving you an illusion of choice. You can call him out on his shit.
>>
>>53063482
But what if its a trap anon, traps aren't gay right
>>
>>53063434
If the DM is unwilling to allow pcs to overcome traps they are specialized to overcome, he will be a metegaming dickhead either way
>>
File: trapsaregay.jpg (59KB, 679x660px) Image search: [Google]
trapsaregay.jpg
59KB, 679x660px
>>53063482
shoujo-ai is girls' love
it's a non-romantic affection
at the extreme end it's like being super-bffs who sleep naked together but no gay stuff

>>53063494
I have some bad news,
>>
>>53063100
>less dangerous activities, such as drinking in the taverns or courting your waifus?
The fuck you talking about? Those are the most dangerous parts of being an adventurer.
>>
>>53063491
How can you call him on his shit when you don't know what the trap DC is?

Do you think passive perception existing doesn't mean you also can't actively look for things and roll anyways?
>>
>>53063510
Because you're playing a Druid with Observant.
>>
>>53063510
If you know your passive you can guess the DC of the trap
>>
>>53063525
>Really, Jeff? There's not a single trap in any dungeon we've visited with a DC under 22? Lemme guess, when we hit level 9 the DCs will mysteriously be 23.
>>
>>53063434

put a time constraint on the dungeons

Create situations where the party has to move faster (chasing something or something chasing them) if they stop to look for traps they lose out on something or they are forced to fight a patrol.

Additionally you can hide the traps better so a simple perception check wont teach them anything, but if they did a proper investigation on it they might notice the little piece of string attached to some part of it that would set off a contraption etc.

Be creative, make it fun and cheat.
>>
>>53063506
But its not gay anon it can't be gay
>>
File: 1490736969942.jpg (48KB, 500x672px) Image search: [Google]
1490736969942.jpg
48KB, 500x672px
>>53063494
Traps are faggot tier because you're trying to hide and rationalize your homosexuality.

>>53063506
Sounds borderline gay if not at least would be treated the same as two really close bff guys sleeping naked together. Everyone would just assume they're gay.
>>
>>53063559
Or, maybe, just seeing the trap doesn't disarm it
>>
>>53063525
And? Observant doesn't apply to rolls. Neither does it prevent you from rolling if you can't spot something passively.

>>53063549
What's the problem here?
>>
File: traps are gay.jpg (35KB, 376x395px) Image search: [Google]
traps are gay.jpg
35KB, 376x395px
>>53063494
Yep, that makes it A-OK
>>
>>53063510
>I made a character that revolves around finding traps
>Great, you don't find traps anyway because fuck you you're not supposed to interact with traps traps are just minature 'rocks fall you die'.
>>
File: IMG_0928.jpg (75KB, 750x658px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0928.jpg
75KB, 750x658px
>>53063580
>>
>>53063559
what if

what if there was a trap
what if there was a trap that activates when you look at it
>>
>>53063597
That's the problem the original anon brought up, he hates that dungeons are just people rolling every 5ft.
>>
File: shoujocontacts.png (325KB, 616x790px) Image search: [Google]
shoujocontacts.png
325KB, 616x790px
>>53063580
That's because if two guys do it, it is gay.
Girls are different. They can get away with this. Girls braid each others' hair and try on each others' underwear and shower together and call each other pretty and dish about boys and their ideal wedding.
Guys pretend not to notice each other in locker rooms and hesitate for a second before grabbing their friend as he slips off the mountain because they're worried if hugging another dude when they're not on the football field is homo or something.
>>
>>53063635
What if it's an orb that sends an information pulse that permanently drains your Wis by 2 if you look at it with a clairvoyance spell?
>>
>>53063638
Yeah, and one of mitigating constant rolls is applying passive perception and then asking for rolls when necessary.

You don't need the players to initiate everything on their end. If you, as the DM, think there's a chance of a player noticing something even if their passive perception isn't up to snuff, tell them to throw a d20 and give you the result.
>>
>>53063641
>hesitate for a second before grabbing their friend as he slips off the mountain because they're worried if hugging another dude when they're not on the football field is homo or something.

That's just called being a bad friend and bad person, also still sounds gay, other than braiding, but people ignore it because they think two chicks doing stuff like that together is hot.
>>
>>53063641
This can't be a real manga

Also what the fuck is this conversation doing in in this thread
>>
>>53063585
It may as well, because no one in my group is going to fucking roll to disarm a trap. We know what bags full of rats, bricks, sticks, bars, and rope are.
>>
>>53063667
Personally that is how I handle it, but the main argument is over people playing with a)bad DMs and b)asshole DMs.
>>
Reminder there's no reason to hide traps from your players in the first place unless you want them to say 'I check for traps' on literally everything or 'I poke X with a 10ft pole' on literally everything.

Denying players useful information that allows them to make creative and informed choices is a shit idea.

Traps should be dangerous because of time constraints, how tricky they are to avoid/disarm if you know they're there or because they have a psychological effect the players have to figure out ('Oh, there's an obvious trap here because it wants us to walk around it into this dark, suspicious passageway instead.') or because it's punishment for not doing something else properly (Not lighting the room properly). They could also be used by the players themselves against enemies.

The above actually gives something interesting. What does not give something interesting is 'Roll to find traps' and then 'Roll to disarm traps / avoid traps'.
>>
>>53063686
It was a gag strip in the back of a real manga.
And we're talking about it because you fools need to learn that girls can be gay without being gay, but guys can't.
>>
>>53063686
The ending comment responding to OP's question >>53063179 then it turned into some "femnon" trying to convince me that just because girls do it makes it not gay.
>>
File: trapmaster.jpg (153KB, 760x596px) Image search: [Google]
trapmaster.jpg
153KB, 760x596px
>>
>>53063690
>Trap activates when you open a door
>"let's get the rat to open the door!"
>"no let's throw a brick at it!"
You know all your woes could be solved by traps more complex than "don't step here"
>>
>>53063714
Women can't be gay. They can be lesbians, but not gay.
>>
>>53063662
Gnome damn it!
>>
reposting,
So for an Immortal Mystic, which seems to be the only playable variant, do you use the 10+DEX+CON formula or do you use Inertial Armor's 14+DEX?

Also, Bestial Claws vs. Brute Strike vs. Lethal Strike?
Bestial form gives you Tough Hide, Brute Force makes you a grappling god, Mastery of Force gives you ranged options and shit but you are probably not pumping up INT at this point, Psionic Weapon gives you the +3 magical weapon.

Outside of that Iron Durability for the +1AC focus and over all resistances and Giant Growth for the reach and +1d4?

At this point are the two extra disciplines as good as I think they are, compared to going Soul Knife?

Also, you are pretty much forced to go STR for this thing, right?
Dex seems to work much better with a Soul Knife, but no idea how their DPS actually compare, given all the shit that wants to use your bonus action, not getting TWF nor extra attack, etc.
>>
>>53063738
Same difference
>>
>>53063758
>Immortal Mystic, which seems to be the only playable variant
Get out
>>
Right, Curse of Strahd.

The whole final castle seems a bit.. Like there are so many cool things in there, including at least two powerful boons that you get for taking something from the castle to somewhere else.

But.. Like when you're in the castle, it's pretty much final showdown with Strahd already since you're bound to stumble onto him in the fated room.

But I can't see any reason why the party would sack the castle and bugger off, only to return because Strahd was left twiddling his thumbs in X tomb waiting for them.

What are some inventive ways to let them clear Castle Ravenloft and do some final exploration overland before the final showdown without sounding like a cop out.

Only one I thought of, was when they find Strahd for the final showdown, it's actually Baba Yggsa with a Tarot deck who reveals that the players aren't the only ones with the portents of fortune telling, and that Strahd is already on his way to kill Madam Eva/Esmeralda/Whomever. Which he has already done by the time the party arrive, and fighting them in a position where he can return to his coffin in the ransacked castle for the "Final showdown 2, electric boogaloo."
>>
>>53063758
I went for the standard formula, but I'm no frontliner, I just go there to bail the martials and revive people.

Go Str if you want to grapple, and if you want to blast, Psionic assault has no save.
>>
>>53063797
Strahd ain't in, he popped out to the willawonk to get some jammy dodgers.
>>
>>53063797
By the time we were on the way to Castle Ravenloft, we had a revenant buddy who could home in on Strahd wherever he might be, so I'm not really sure this would be a reliable fix.
>>
>>53063206
If you plan on going with >>53063239 make sure the guy performs a few particularly noteworthy deeds, he needs to be God-Emprah tier if deities are fighting over his puny mortal soul.
Have him boil a lake to steam or knock over a mountain on a kingdom.
>>
>>53063785
it's the only variant people talk about here.

>>53063823
standard formula being?
>>
>>53063827
Doesn't this kind of conflict with the whole Tarot deck which explicitely gives you a location where you can always find strahd, because the threads of fate are tied in a manner that when you arrive, he will be there.
>>
>>53063895
10+Dex+Con
>>
>>53063895
Wu-jen godmoding gets talked about too
>>
>>53063931
>check Tarot deck
Oh, Strahd's at home
>walk over there
>he leaves while the party is en route
>party doesn't check it again when they're on the front porch
>>
>>53063975
But where you meet Strahd is part of an early prophecy, isn't it? It's set from the beginning of the campaign. It isn't some sort of compass system.
>>
>>53063975
>>he leaves while the party is en route
This happened in a game I was playing in.

We were on our way to lay siege to the BBEG's castle... but he had gone out for a trip with his wife a day before we arrived. We got inside, searched the whole place looking for him, and eventually got his steward to talk.

We felt like idiots.
>>
>>53064005
Doesn't say WHEN you'll meet him, just where. You could go there 50 times and none of them have to be the Fated Time.
>>
>>53063952
i wish the awakened was good, the psychic detective crap is so fringe, specially compared to what some other divinations can do, and spectral body overlaps heavily with psionic body.

nothing in the awakened feature list suggest any synergy with the awakened disciplines, and that is pretty fucking shit in my opinion.
>>
File: youngmin-suh-333333-copy.jpg (887KB, 1920x2751px) Image search: [Google]
youngmin-suh-333333-copy.jpg
887KB, 1920x2751px
I'm getting an itch to homebrew a blood sorcerer. What sort of features should it have and what would you like to see/do with it? I was thinking con+dex but Stone Sorc already did that.
>>
>>53063690
How do you know which one to use? Passing your investigation checks?
>>
>>53064200
It doesn't matter. It's not like you lose your resources if you fail to set off the trap with one of them.
>>
>>53064232
I mean. Using a rat or a pole doesn't help much if it causes the walls of the room to slam shut. Disarming would help
>>
>>53063208
Hope your GM describes things in the environment that are the traps instead of just leaving you to think you're in a blank space and then step forward onto a pressure plate your passive perception didn't pick up because no GMs use it and that causes 20ft spears to launch from the very obvious holes in the wall that you weren't told about.
>>
>>53064261
What are the quintessential This could be a trap descriptions
>>
>>53064257
There's no point to such a trap. It would have been triggered centuries ago by whatever fucking creature lurks further within the dungeon and the party would walk in to find a big stone wall in the way. Why even leave the trap unengaged to begin with? Just close it off from the get-go and call it done.
>>
>>53063352
>not having at least one girl in the group
>being this NEET

or you can do what I do and have the DM be your girlfriend
>>
>>53064190
Maybe they can damage themselves to add dice to spells. Lots of self damaging metamagic. Access to some good necromancy spells
>>
>>53064264
This is all so weeb it physically pains me
>>
>>53064288
It can reset automatically or whomever runs the dungeon resets it. It'a a pretty effective trap. I tend to make traps that a pole doesn't effect.
>>
>>53063208
>passive perception
>>
>>53064314
>tfw every experience I've had with a girl at a table has been awful
>>
>>53064349
Is there a character that could even possibly EVEN TOUCH Madara Uchiha? Let alone defeat him. And I’m not talking about Edo Tensei Uchiha Madara. I’m not talking about Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara either. Hell, I’m not even talking about Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan and Rinnegan doujutsus (with the rikodou abilities and being capable of both Amateratsu and Tsukuyomi genjutsu), equipped with his Gunbai, a perfect Susano’o, control of the juubi and Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju’s DNA implanted in him so he has mokuton kekkei genkai and can perform yin yang release ninjutsu while being an expert in kenjutsu and taijutsu. I’m also not talking about Kono Yo no Kyūseishu Futarime no Rikudō Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan (which is capable of Enton Amaterasu, Izanagi, Izanami and the Tsyukuyomi Genjutsu), his two original Rinnegan (which grant him Chikushōdō, Shuradō, Tendō, Ningendō, Jigokudō, Gakidō, Gedō, Banshō Ten’in, Chibaku Tensei, Shinra Tensei, Tengai Shinsei and Banbutsu Sōzō) and a third Tomoe Rinnegan on his forehead, capable of using Katon, Fūton, Raiton, Doton, Suiton, Mokuton, Ranton, Inton, Yōton and even Onmyōton Jutsu, equipped with his Gunbai(capable of using Uchihagaeshi) and a Shakujō because he is a master in kenjutsu and taijutsu, a perfect Susano’o (that can use Yasaka no Magatama ), control of both the Juubi and the Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju’s DNA and face implanted on his chest, his four Rinbo Hengoku Clones guarding him and nine Gudōdama floating behind him AFTER he absorbed Senjutsu from the First Hokage, entered Rikudō Senjutsu Mode, cast Mugen Tsukuyomi on everybody and used Shin: Jukai Kōtan so he can use their Chakra while they are under Genjutsu.
>>
>>53064264
nandesuka
>>
>>53064389
kek, someone needs to make one like this about some retarded multiclass.

"With Fighter's Action Surge and Sorcerer's Metamagic casting Eldritch Blast ..."
>>
>>53064319
Yeah, some of the ideas I had was

1. Ability to use hit die to add damage to a spell.

2. Dealing damage to yourself based on hit die(1d8) to add damage to a spell.

3. Gaining hit points per level(similar to Draconic).

4. Homebrew spells.

5. Something to do with temp HP, potentially gaining temp HP when using spells that deal necrotic damage.

6. Adding Con modifier to spells that deal necrotic damage.

These are just ideas in no order, something I can draw from.
>>
>>53064190
Con to misc things.

Spending Hit-Die for empowered effects or recovering Sorcery points.
>>
File: mucussorc.jpg (42KB, 300x285px) Image search: [Google]
mucussorc.jpg
42KB, 300x285px
>>53064190
Blood is gay. Use a different bodily fluid, like bile or mucus.
>snot sorcerer
>can slip-n-slide everywhere
>escape from grapples
>knock enemies prone
>stick to walls and ceilings
>form protective films
>mark trails
>take control of other creatures' mucus
>>
>>53064314
>Implying I don't have one girl I DM for

There's a reason I do it the way I do, she's one of the other players girlfriend and I don't want them doing it at the table so no one does.
>>
>>53064573
>not seducing her with the power of loot and DM favors
This is why your life will never be an erotic doujin, you can't even NTR or corrupt.
>>
>>53064573
>Two female players in my group
>One is my best friend's gf of 8 years
>Other is just a friend I invited
>Now she's trying to fuck one of the guys in the group
God damn it. I wish I had a group of a bunch of asexual people.
>>
>>53064714
>God damn it. I wish I had a group of a bunch of asexual people

That's a typical all male group
>>
>>53064794
Nah, last all guy group I played in had two of the guys trying to fuck each other's characters since they were both playing women.
>>
Asked last thread but since we started a new one didn't see an answer.

What's a good starting stat buy spread for a barbarogue. We agreed it'd be a half orc who uses barb strength to grapple shove and a finesse weapon for stabbing.

Probably only one level of rogue though, just for athletics and SA. I assume Str and Con mostly?

I'll start at level five in this new group.
>>
>>53064432
I think I'd avoid giving extra health since it kinda voids the point of the class. Maybe the temp health from necrotic due to stealing blood
>>
>>53064816
STR and CON. Don't forget to use STR mod with your weapon.
>>
>>53064623
She's a 5/10 at best Zyzz would not approve
>>
>>53064869
So str con and enough dex to rogue but fuck the rest of it?

Like should I leave int and wis at 8 or at least nudge those to 10?
>>
>>53064917
Not much use to INT, maybe you want WIS at 10-12 for the saves.
>>
>>53064865
I think we might be thinking of different blood mages/sorcerers. Maybe Hemomancer is a better word for it? Less stabbing yourself and more mastery of blood.

Here is some WIP I came up with.

Flow Sense
At 1st level, you can sense creatures that have blood flowing through their veins. As an action, you can sense creatures with blood in them within 30 feet of yourself. You become aware of the creatures even if they are hidden or invisible and you stay aware of them as long as they remain within your range.

Vampiric Endurance
At 1st level, your innate mastery of the flow of life has affected your own body like the moon affects the tides of the sea. Your hit point maximum increases by 1, and it increases by 1 again whenever you gain a level in this class.

If you are below half your hit point maximum at the start of your turn, you regain hit points equal to your proficiency bonus(minimum of 2).
>>
>>53064432
Roll a hit die, lose that HP, add it to damage, but the damage cannot be reduced?
I forget what levels are sorcerer utility levels, but heat vision would be a neat ribbon at higher levels.
Resistance to necrotic damage.
Lifesucking aura, use an action to damage everybody in 30 ft and get that damage as temp HP (probably 18th level)
>>
>>53064937
I'll leave int down and go wis 10 for saves, sure.

Everyone else in my party to be has wizards or warlocks or bards n shit so I don't really need scores in anything but stabbing.
>>
>>53064816
Max STR, 14 DEX, rest in CON.

You actually want Totem Barb 5 and the rest of your levels in Rogue.
>>
>>53064979
Why's that?
>>
>>53064385
>tfw you're a socially inept mouthbreather who doesn't realize the common denominator in all those situations is you
>>
>>53064816
I suggest Pure Barbarian with the "Brawny" feat instead of a level of rogue.

Brawny gives you +1 Strength and Athletics Expertise, as well as Powerful Build.

Wield a 1d10 Verstile weapon and occasionally shove prone or grapple when you feel like it.
>>
>>53065004
shit you're right
>>
>>53064872
Doing and not doing things for the chance of a man's approval is pretty gay anon. You sure you're not just a queer?

also rip Zyzz
>>
>>53065001
Extra Attack
>>
>>53065016
Does that suggestion change if the party already has a paladin who (I hope) is tanky?

Though big weapons do sound fun.

I think the rogue path might be worthwhile since the party has no sneak/etc abilities.
>>
>>53064972
Thanks m8, you gave me a good idea for a capstone.
>>
>>53065016
Start 15+2 Strength, so that level 4 still gives you the 18 and you're at 20str by next ASI.
>>
>>53065069
Sure, dunno what the damage would be or how often you'd get to use it (short rest? Long rest? Multiple times?) But no matter what I figured you could get a shitload of temp HP in one go that way so it should be a higher level ability.
>>
>>53065016
I'm the guy who suggested the shield-bashing build, but this way is also a viable method.

I still prefer the Rogue multiclass because of SA damage to make up for the 1d8 rapier, and the extra skill/expertise in a non-Athletics skill is also pretty good. Not to mention, if you take Shield Master at 4, you can Bonus Action shove to not fuck with your Extra Attacks.
>>
>>53065102
Probably a long rest, damage might be something similar to the warlock's fiend capstone. What do you think of these >>53064947
for features?
>>
>>53065060
Barbarian with the Criminal Background as a Half-Orc Thug.

You can pick a lock and stick to the shadows, you also like to scream bloody murder and hack people up with your longsword.

You can start 17, 14, 14, 10, 10, 10 with that +1 STR from the feat, giving you good stats all around and enough dex to do medium armour and some skill things, enough con to be tanky barbarian things.

Reckless attack gives you advantage for those 3d10 crits, if you get em prone you can keep your defences okay by not being reckless. Lacks something to do with the bonus action aside from rage, if you really wanted to cheese pick up Polearm master later and one-hand a quarterstaff as your bitch-slapping bat.
>>
>>53065039
It's more about having the same higher standard but your opinion is yours m8
>>
>>53065060
Well, look at it this way: Totem Barbarian has fuckloads of HP and resistance to all damage but psychic.

Paladin doesn't, but their presence in a party makes it much, much less likely for anyone to get fucked over and die.
>>
File: 1492025346266.jpg (784KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1492025346266.jpg
784KB, 1920x1080px
What do you think is the life expectancy of 5th edition?

You'd think they've set it up for the basic rules to last for a while, all with the glacial publication pacing, the DM's guild platform and their whole design philosophy.
>>
Would giving all fighters superiority dice make them more fun to play?
>>
>>53065001

Gives you all the important Barbarian features you care about (3 Rages, Reckless Attack, advantage on Dex saves, Bear Totem, Fast Movement, Extra Attack, and a whole bunch of early game HP) and then switches to Rogue progression for better damage and class features.
>>
>>53065204
Only if you buff the battlemaster.
But almost all already have them, so I don't think it would cause too much trouble.
>>
>>53065155
Seem good, we both arrived at infrared, and I was in fact thinking of recommending tweaking dragon sorc for a lot of the features which one of yours is basically that, so thats good
>>
>>53065155
Seem good, we both arrived at infrared, and I was in fact thinking of recommending tweaking dragon sorc for a lot of the features which one of yours is basically that, so thats good
>>
Hey /5eg/. I'm not a frequent /tg/ browser but I've been to this general a few times before, mostly as a player.

Gonna try DM'ing for the first time, is there any general on /tg/ that'd be a good place to get some advice? I just wanna spitball some ideas I had and see if they're total shit or not.

Also, is starting at the 3rd Level alright? I think we've done enough basement rats between us now.
>>
>>53065202
Probably ten or so years.
>>
>>53065228
>>53065243
Huh, I double posted somehow.
>>
>>53065060
Since you're starting at level 5, I'm gonna try to lay out your options properly. Apologies if I missed something.

Shield-bearing Barbarogue:
>16 / 14 / 16 / 8 / 12 / 8
>17 AC
>Shield Master feat
>Expertise in second skill, pick a good one
>Extra skill proficiency from Rogue multiclass
>1d8+2d6+3 per Reckless Attack

Two-handed Barbarian
>18 / 14 / 16 / 8 / 10 / 8
>15 AC
>Brawny feat
>2d10 + 8 damage from Extra Attack
>I'd suggest doing a GW build with this instead as you'll most likely be shoving enemies and not grappling

Both builds get:
>Expertise in Athletics for good shoves
>>
Honestly, using hit dice as a resource outside of rests is usually bad design.

I think it's pretty apparent that those dice aren't meant to be an in-combat thing.
>>
>>53065173
Implying anyone will ever be as glorious as Zyzz.
>>
>>53065285
No but that doesn't mean one can't try to achieve such
>>
Quick question:

When Mercer releases the setting book for Critical Role's world, do you guys think we'll get a good scan?

I want to support but can't afford. I'll have to grab the pdf.

Is someone willing to scan it?
>>
>>53065245
You can get some good 5e specific advice in these generals, general dm stuff included. I suppose you could check worldbuilding threads and stuff like that if you need that kind of help.

Starting at 3rd is fine, too.
>>
>>53065302
It usually happens, official stuff is often scanned within a week or so of release. When is the book supposed to come out?
>>
>>53065302
I'm sure there's someone who'd be willing to scan. Hell, I'll probably be that someone. I'm just not too sure about the way people get good quality scans. Is it just sitting above a scanner until each page is acceptable?
>>
>>53065245
Answering this kind of questions has become the way I endure the period between sessions.
Fire away whenever.
>>
>>53065320
GenCon. August 17 I believe
>>
>>53065202
All editions so far have had a shelf life of about 10 years, so probably that unless someone pulls a Pathfinder and hijacks 5e's popularity prematurely.
>>
>>53065333
Getting good copies and running a program to make the text searchable/selectable.

Don't know if there's anything else to it
>>
>>53065351
Oh wait, that's without counting 4e, but 4e undeservedly never really got popular to start with and 5e is hitting record numbers
>>
>>53065351
wasn't 4th edition life just 6~ years?
>>
>>53065262
Thanks! Wrote both down to think over.

Since barbarian gets the AC while unarmored (but with a shield) is it better in both cases to go without armor?
>>
>>53065448
i think you can't rage while armored but don't quote me on that.
>>
>>53065448
I may have missed things on the list so don't take it as the be-all-end-all. I'd like the other anon to way in just to be sure.

And yeah, if your DEX and CON are high enough, it's almost guaranteed to be going without armour, as you'll never have to don or doff, and you won't have to deal with the Stealth Disadvantage that comes from the better Medium Armour options.
>>
File: Sv9ucG2.png (308KB, 1148x1025px) Image search: [Google]
Sv9ucG2.png
308KB, 1148x1025px
>>53065340

It's pretty generic so far, I'm gonna expand on it a bit when I get the player's backstories.

The overarching plot is that the Kingdom they'll be starting in has recently been taken over by the big bad empire (who aren't really that bad though), but the king just surrendered cause he knew there was no way he could stand up to this world conquering war machine, so they left him in charge as a vassal.

Now there's a rebellion cause people weren't happy that he just gave up without a fight. Was gonna leave it up to the party if they wanna get involved, but keep sort of gently prodding them with it because it's obviously kind of important.

I know it's not as Shakespearean as DmC, but it was just gonna be a starting point.

The more interesting things I have planned are the side stories, but I just wanna make sure I get the worldbuilding done right and at least make sure the "main" story is interesting enough that they wont just go off on a never ending sidequest while the kingdom burns down, but without super railroading them, which is where I'm struggling.

At the end of the day, I'm just not very creative but I said I'd at least try for the sake of our Forever DM.
>>
>>53065476
Can't Rage in Heavy Armour, Light and Medium are fine. Not that it matters since a Barbarian doesn't get proficiency in it.
>>
>>53065448
Barbarian 5 / Rogue X is better.

All Barbarian features work with Medium Armor. Only ditch it if your combined DEX+CON is better than 6 (unlikely unless DEX barbarian).
>>
>>53065528
Should I start at barb 4 / rogue 1 or barb 5 and then take rogue at 6

Not that it super matters. I'll just be at 5 for awhile.
>>
>>53065257
What do you think of this?

Sanguine Bond
At 6th level, life is fleeting for all living creatures, and you are no exception. You have learned to use your very own essence to augment and strengthen your spells. When you cast a spell that targets one creature or more and deals damage, you may use your reaction to use your hit die. You deal extra necrotic damage to all creatures targeted equal to the hit die roll.

In addition, you gain resistance to necrotic damage.

>>53065275
What would you suggest instead? As it stands right now, my homebrew doesn't really require hit die much since you have a passive regeneration. Should I change the 1st level ability into something else? I chose regeneration because I didn't want to steal Stone Sorc's niche of having 13+con=AC, but wanted something comparable strength wise.
>>
>>53065583
Just start at 5 to get Extra Attack out of the way.
It'll save you some headaches.
>>
>>53065583
Rogue at 6.

Barbarian 5 (most martials 5 for that matter) is bad to delay, since that's when you get access to the huge damage spike that is Extra Attack. You also need both attacks to do the grapple/shove in one turn.
>>
>>53065351
From my understanding most of the hijacking would be for old pf since 5e seems to be way more normie oriented.
>>
File: 4441585-2363132634-34285[1].jpg (143KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
4441585-2363132634-34285[1].jpg
143KB, 800x1000px
>Playing Evil/Neutral campaign
>My character is a LN Vengeance Pali
>Basically fight for revenge against society that shunned me, and care only for gaining more power to do so and make a theocracy around my god
>In a city with slavers in it
>Party decides to hit up the slavers to see if anythings good
>Some guy selling a kid for 1200 gold
>Party doesn't think the kid will be useful,and no one has that gold on their own
>Starts trying to trick the guy into going cheaper
>I look at this boy and see myself, taken advantage of and cast aside
>Buy the boy's freedom by paying 800 gold and the armor off my back
>Adopt him
>Turns out he has a natural talent for being a monk (24 Dex)
>Train him to fight alongside me, and teach him my ways of justice
>Start saving up more gold to buy more slave children and build a training facility/barracks for them
>Fight for the liberation of all slave children, and teach them how to be someone////
>Recruit ex-military people to help me keep things organized and run a tight ship
>Start using them as mercanaries and soldiers as part of their training
>Use them to liberate more slaves and bring in more money while I'm out adventuring
>mfw I've become Big Boss

I'm raising the first child as if he was my own son, and when I die the DM said I can just take control of him. This has been a very satisfying diversion.
>>
>>53063618
>>53063635
I know it's d&d and /tg/, but can we not, for example, talk about traps and traps at the same time? Or at least actually blend the concepts?
>>
File: 1482902209988.jpg (8KB, 250x230px) Image search: [Google]
1482902209988.jpg
8KB, 250x230px
>>53063506
>sleep naked together but no gay stuff
>gay

what.
>>
>>53065769
No
>>
>>53065717
So what's Metal Gear? A endgame giant automaton for your God to possess so he can plunge the world into justice?
>>
>>53065855
Follow the entire conversation, it's about girls doing stuff and it isn't gay. Even though it might as well be.
>>
>>53063635
This this this
>>
>>53065861
That's a good idea. I might use that.
>>
File: 1492788758089.jpg (145KB, 892x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1492788758089.jpg
145KB, 892x1024px
>know of only one group semi-nearby
>they meet on a tuesday evening

Alright I'm going to attempt the Roll20 meme. How bad is it?
>>
>>53065717
>Basically fight for revenge against society that shunned me, and care only for gaining more power to do so and make a theocracy around my god

I'm not saying it can't be executed well or that there's no potential for development there, but seeking vengeance for personally experienced misdoings has got to be the lamest motivation a Paladin could possibly have. It's just petty revenge.
Which makes me wonder, is (personal) revenge more mapped to Neutrality or Evil?
>>
>>53065925
Either fine or the worst ever

Good luck.
>>
>>53065925
not terrible if you actually talk to the people before hand and find out they're not all autistic
>>
>>53065861
>>53065896
Tarrasque android
>>
File: 1401067342616.jpg (194KB, 1024x1101px) Image search: [Google]
1401067342616.jpg
194KB, 1024x1101px
> Playing a lv1 solo gesalt D&D game in Faerun
> Play a LN gesalt gunsmith/immortal mystic
> Started out being Geralt but an eskimo based on background rolls and shit
> Ended up as eskimo Geralt/Master Chief due to having green armor and orange faceplate/ immortal's abilities basically getting a regenerating shield
> First session has me on a boat that hit an iceberg and washed up on coast crawling with goblins
> End up fighting a trio of goblins
> Kill 2 of them, about to kill third before she surrenders
> Says she'll do anything if I spare her
> Begin questioning her and take her prisoner
> Give her food, treat her nicely
> After few days I get near the town and tell her to leave
> She refuses saying she gets more food and better treatment then back at the tribe
> After several attempts at telling her to go and a few fumbles somehow ends up making her want me more
> Leave her and later on finds evidence she's following me
> I end the session wondering why the fuck is the GM emulator and the dice is trying to give me a goblin waifu so fucking early, but decide not to question the will of the dice gods lest the fuck me over even harder in the future

In short, short stack goblin stalker with stockholm, wat do?
>>
>>53065925
Holy shit, that picture is both horrifying and great at the same time. ''Saturn'' even fits as a title.
>>
>>53065957
Teach her to defend herself and watch your back, either the problem solves it self with her sacrificing herself for you or you bang.
>>
I've just recently got into RPG's and mostly i have been reading 5e stuff. As where do i live there isn't any groups, i would like to try to get some friends intro trying a one-shot.
Everyone seems to recommend Lost Mines of Phandelver for beginner Players and DM's alike, but i wonder if there's something simpler and shorter, like an one-shot that teachs the core mechanics of the game, could be completed in one-two hour maximum and maybe making the PC's pass from level 1 to 2.
there's anything out there like that?
>>
>>53065957
what's that "GM emulator"? i'm interested in solo gaming
>>
>>53065932
It is weak, I know. I honestly just wanted to be a non-good Pali and couldn't think of reasons that weren't edgy.
>>
>>53066001
On one hand, I'm tempted to do that, on the other hand, I suppose my dood could use more hands with building stuff since I'm planning on crafting golems and shit in the future.
>>
>>53063857
Well at this point they could be trying to get his soul because whoever got it might receive the combined power of his other boons combined,giving them a lot of political power and favor.
>>
>>53066034
Mythic GM Emulator, basically you roll a D100 and check a chart after asking a yes/no question, and factor in shit.

http://wordmillgames.com/
>>
>>53066037
>non-good Pali and couldn't think of reasons that weren't edgy.

Anon I.........
>>
File: 1480966411436.jpg (15KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1480966411436.jpg
15KB, 640x480px
>>53066042
Then again you could always do both
>>
File: 1492477727727.jpg (361KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1492477727727.jpg
361KB, 1200x1800px
Hit me with some fun character ideas, anons.

For the first time in forever I can't come up with a fun character concept. We're starting at first level, and pretty much all avaible material (including stuff like MC Favoured Soul) is okay. GM keeps quiet about the world, repeating that it's "mostly identical to Forgotten Realms, but with different geography and some other changes". Other players can't decide on anything as well, so I have little to build on, as for now, other than we should "try and stick to core races".
>>
>>53065351
Pathfinder got popular because it continued 3.5e's popularity, it didn't really start up until after 4e was out and being poopooed on.
>>
>>53066491
A noble human academic (archaeologist, biologist, anthropologist) tagging along with adventurers to write the next book on artifacts, strange creatures and all that.
Class could be anything, suggesting thief.
>>
>>53066491
mounted halfling beast ranger with the two weapon fighting feat so you can dual wield lances.
>>
>>53066491
Source?
>>
File: 1385139018351.jpg (426KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1385139018351.jpg
426KB, 600x900px
>>53066491

Werewolf.
Literally a druid of any race and all your skills and transformations are around physical properties and becoming more of a werewolf.

For how the character would act, go with Wolverine from the x-men.

And fluff all your transformations and abilities as physical manifestations of your "curse"

And pick up the UA/Starter spell Primal Savagery so instead of a 1d4 melee attack you sprout claws and fangs and rip into the enemy for a 1d10.

Also dont act like a regular druid, play more of a barbarian or a ranger.
>>
>>53066491
>Mid twenty human who joined the city guars following in his dad's footsteps. Resents every day because it's bland and always wanted to be an adventure since the first stories he heard. One day quits the guard and sets out to do just that.

>Dwarf who fled home after he was framed for a crime he didn't commit. Doesn't mind the world at large but travels to forget how homesick he is because returning would mean his death.

>8th son of royalty with no shot at the throne, and wouldn't take it even if it came to it. Decides to help his cousin by becoming a paladin roaming the land to help those in need to strengthen ties to the common populace, and because he enjoys it.

>Rogue who's luck has run out and is looking for a big score to pay off some bad people after him.

>Son of a minor noble/merchant who sets out to gain fame and fortune to elevate his family's position.

>Ex gladiator who always thought he'd die in glorious combat one day. After being freed roams the land helping people but most of all looking for the end to his life instead of dying of age or sickness.

>Petty thief who witnessed something big, is now on the run because people want him dead so he can never tell.

>Former pirate who lost everything in a storm, is now trying to gain enough capital to get a new ship and crew.

>Noble's son who enjoys the finer things in life a little too much. Learned to play and sing to help pay his debts, with the added bonus of it helping to get under ladies skirts.
>>
Anyone running a newbie-friendly game on R20 anytime soon? I finally finished finals and I wanna get into D&D.
>>
>>53066726
Look on roll20's LFG listings
>>
>>53066713
>>53066707
>>53066629
>>53066625

Thanks, folks. The ideas are cool and got my creative juices flowing.

>>53066664

I actually had no idea where it came from, but Google helped - '[nonsummerjack (non)]My GOD ANUBIS' on e-hentai.
>>
>>53066739
>watch R20 livestream to know what to expect
>they all look like colossal faggots

Maybe this isn't the hobby for me.
>>
>>53063100
Why do they make the Favored Soul more boring every time they re-release it?
>>
Do monk's ki empowered strikes apply to monk weapons?
>>
>>53067023
No one looks good when playing d&d. TTRPG are something you have to learn by doing, and a bit of an acquired taste if you weren't already excited to play
>>
>>53067091
Also, I have no idea of who is in the roll20 streams, but try watching critical role. I haven't watched that either but they're all fairly good looking voice actors so it presumably could be better
>>
>>53065856
I only mentioned it because I thought
>Traps that are still dangerous when you know about them
and
>Traps that are dangerous when you see them
Had some potential
>>
>>53067117
>>53067091
They have the full dyed skrillex hair style thing. Plus they are talking about rich white people.
>>
>>53067140
As in traps that trigger when you notice them? That's some meta shit that I'd love to try in a game.
>>
>>53067224
Celebrity gossip?
>>
I'm making a Hill Dwarf Long Death Monk in my next game and wondering how this looks so far.

10, 15, 15, 10, 16, 8 and at level 4 I plan to increase both CON and DEX up to 16. Thoughts?
>>
>>53067257
No I mean in abstract terms. Like "it would be better if it wasn't just rich white people"

SJW stuff. I'll just watch WotC stream.
>>
>>53067290
>>53067224
If you ever do find a game, just remember not to show off your /pol/ power level like that. Try to act like a normal person in public.
>>
>>53067242
Maybe one of the symbols. You inscribe a glyph on a surface, cover it with something, and make the trigger be uncovering it. The glyph is a trap. The glyph is of a trap. The effect could be any of Discord, Hopelessness, Stunning, or others depending on the metaeffect you want.
>>
>>53067284
You could drop 2 in str or int and get con to 16, then take a feat with a dex bonus at 4, but your way is also fine
>>
Are ranged attacks against prone targets still made at disadvantage if you're floating above them?
>>
>>53067378
RAW yes. DM might say otherwise if you ask
>>
>>53067371
That could actually be a good idea, I could drop INT to 8 but +1 DEX feats are normally pretty shit.

I might take the new Squat Nimbleness feat. +1 DEX, +5 Speed and Athletics Expertise could all be handy.

>>53067378
No, you get advantage and disadvantage and they cancel each other out. So it's a normal attack.
>>
>>53067442
Yeah, that's what I did on my Dwarf. I don't remember if the stealth, acrobatics or sleight of hand expertise feats are any good, but they also give +1
>>
>>53067475
Not really. Acrobatics is pretty shit, Sleight of Hand is cool but not really all that handy and Stealth... actually could be decent. I think the speed and athletics are probably better though, even a +4 Mod at level 1 gives me a decent chance to prone people.
>>
>>53067442
>No, you get advantage and disadvantage and they cancel each other out. So it's a normal attack.
You only have advantage on a prone creature if you're within five feet of it.
>>
>>53067538
And I imagine if he said "If you're floating above them" as a way to refer to being close to them.
>>
>https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Pun-Pun

what the fuck am i reading, what 3.5 as retarded as i'm set to believe it was?
>>
>>53067794
>was 3.5 as retarded as i'm set to believe it was?
Worse.
>>
any of you guys use fantasy grounds?
>>
>>53067806
jesus fuck, i was just looking for their illithid savant for reference but alas, it's also irreparably broken.
>>
>>53067733
No, literally floating in air. Prone would normally impart disadvantage on ranged attacks because the of the smaller target. I was wondering if there had been any ruling as to whether that disadvantage still applied if you were in a position such that there wasn't a smaller target.
>>
>>53067806
>Worse.
much worse
>>
>>53067862
Still have disadvantage I'm afraid. I imagine it would come from it being more difficult to aim at a target in a position you can't recognise making it hard to determine the location of all the spots you're trying to shoot at.

I actually wonder now, how many other people here drop prone when they're being attacked by Archers? I had an odd DEX and took Athlete on my Monk and whenever there's Ranged Attacks I find myself dropping prone a lot.
>>
What do you guys think of a sorlock villian who on the brink of death was visited by an entity of the far realm giving him great power?

I guess the "plot" would be that this entity is guiding the fate of the villain, and if all goes without interruption, it would change the world/plane they reside

I figure this could be an ongoing background plot that comes up sometimes, as to not be completely railroaded
>>
>>53067929
I'm the only one in the party who does this and everyone gives me dirty looks like I'm a munchkin or some shit.

Shit, we had one fight where several guys with crossbows were in a room and the party wanted to charge in and fight them. Even taking Dash actions it'd take us a whole round just to get close, then all our movement in the next turn provided they didn't move further away.
I said we should just stay in the hall and shoot at them with our own shit and they looked at me like I was crazy.

Then there was the time we're fighting basilisks and I want to close these giant doors behind one of them so we don't have to tango with three fuckers at once. Nope, let's brawl with them in the middle of this room.
>>
>>53068012
To everyone who might DM out there, don't use player classes as NPCs. It was never a good idea, and in 5e it is an even worse idea.
>>
>>53063434
Solution is for the DM to roll for the trap against the DC of the party's highest passive perception. Modifier is based on the maker's skill in hiding it, so some kobolds would have a -4 or so while a wizard's trap would have +4. If the DM succeeds against the passive perception, the party doesn't notice - otherwise they do.
>>
>>53067929
I imagine the same amount of people that don't take cover from spellcasters to break line of sight.
>>
>>53067863
>much worse.
Much, much worse
>>
9 Hours? It's still good.

>>53059840
The math is very dependent on circumstances, but it looks like the best at level 20 is Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter, when all your attacks have advantage. Booming Blade and rapier when your first attack has advantage, and of course booming blade if the enemy will actually move and trigger the extra damage.

results against AC 19:
>Adv BB: 56.0625
>Adv XbowSS: 57.75
>Adv 1st att XbowSS: 53.7

>>53059933
If you don't have advantage though, you have to have a party to get sneak attacks. If you have no party synergy at all, you're probably hiding every round, dashing when enemies get too close, and acting like a sniper/jack-in-the-box/asshole.
>>
>>53068051
I think it's really important that passive perception can be at -5 from moving at a fast pace and -5 from disadvantage, like dim lighting (or no lighting if you're using darkvision). So you might have 23 PP, but when you're running around without a torch, that's 13. 13 is nothing.
>>
>>53067378
Prone is any position except for standing on two feet. Sitting, hands and knees, kneeling, etc. are all still the prone condition.

Floating above them it doesn't mean they are splayed out as if they were standing in front of you.
>>
>>53067034
This version is probably my favorite but YMMV
>>
>>53068029
>okay, we saved the dragon and can escape the castle on peaceful terms without anyone noticing
>let's get our army and come back later since scouted the place out and trounce all these giants
>NAH LET'S ASSAULT THE ENTIRE CASTLE BY OURSELVES
>SURELY FIVE GUYS CAN TAKE ON A CASTLE FULL OF GIANTS, EACH OF WHICH HAS MORE HP AND DAMAGE THAN ANYONE IN THE PARTY, BY A WIDE MARGIN
>WE HAVE THE ADVANTAGE ON THEIR HOME TURF BECAUSE THEY CAN'T MANEUVER AS WELL IN HALLWAYS LITERALLY MADE FOR THEIR SIZE AND DOORS WE HAVE TO SPEND AN ENTIRE ACTION TO TRY AND OPEN
DM really went easy on us there. We only had to fight three things and we got a full round of surprise. If he'd bothered to use reinforcements or target the non-tanks more than once, we would have been toasted.

Fucking tactics, how do they work? Three of the four other members wanted to force the fight because "we need some combat this session". Really? Just because it's going to take the PCs some arbitrary amount of time to fly to town, get their forces, and come back doesn't mean we spend more than five minutes describing this.
>>
>>53068118

Both good suggestions, thanks
>>
>>53067362
How would you do that without completely shitting on a player? Like, is it possible for them to disarm it at all, or is it one of those "why would they devise a trap to be disabled in the first place" situations?
>>
>>53068129
It seems like it should be read as though they were splayed out. A kneeling target could still be larger than a halfling. It's only when they're hugging the ground that they'd be presenting a meaningfully smaller target.
>>
File: tumblr_oo9t6up1nF1ujy76io1_1280.png (889KB, 700x972px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oo9t6up1nF1ujy76io1_1280.png
889KB, 700x972px
There's a tool out there somewhere that I can't remember the name of, I think Matt Colville linked to it in an older video of his. You put in your party number and level, choose a difficulty, and it gives an encounter that's appropriate.

anyone know what I'm talking about?
>>
My group is finishing CoS and I'm going to have them exit Barovia through Aserek's tomb under Yester Hill, using a talisman of the sphere the my found in the Amber Temple to remove the sphere from the green face's gullet.

Long story short they will end up spending about a year in a final fantasy tech+magic+glowing shit sandbox. However I'm not sure what should already be living there. I want a lighthearted race that is essentially an Idiotocracy they take over, but the best race idea I came up with was bunch of clones using a variety of David Spade tokens.

They will be exploring a lot and these useless assholes will just be there to save from a gang of fae trying to capture a yet undetermined thing they protect.
>>
>>53068260
The point is that they are a smaller target for longer range, but at a physical disadvantage if you are on top of them.
>>
So Eldritch Knights are alright as long as the DM allows SCAG cantrips, right?
>>
>>53068332
Lots of things are smaller targets for range. The system only cares under a specific set of conditions: i.e. prone targets.

That makes me think that prone is to be meaningfully smaller. And being as the definition of "prone" is lying face down, you'd think that's what they meant.

I was just curious if there was any clarification or errata on the matter for dealing with potential edge cases.
>>
Why is the grappler feat so fucking bad?
If you pin an enemy then that means you're restrained too, undoing the first benefit of the feat.
There are certainly situations where having them restrained is marginally better than having them grappled, but it would never be worth sacrificing an action to do it. And it does specifically take an action too, not just one attack.
>>
>>53068391
EKs are 'alright' even without out them. Its not like they are druids or PHB rangers.
>>
>>53068300
It's probably donjon. It's got a random generator for everything
>>
>>53068391
Eldritch knights are good anyway. SCAG cantrips are for losers.
>>
>>53068425
Because the designers are especially retarded with designing anything that isn't spells
>>
>>53068391
yeah
>>
>>53068256
You'd put it under something that you never, ever want moved, to punish people for moving it, basically.
>>
>>53068391
Scag cantrips become obsolete by the time EK gets their third attack. Those cantrips are actually the least useful for them.
>>
>>53068260
Ask yourself this, do you want people to dive for the ground when a plane comes by firing a strafing run? That's why prone works against flying things, generally. You could count distance on the x, y axis only though, ignoring the z axis, so flying straight overhead would be within 5'.
>>
>>53068509
>>53068509
They can be useful again once the EK can haste himself as he would only be able to use his extra action to make one attack anyway.
>>
>>53068425
It's why house rules exist. Grapple even references a rule that doesn't exist.

Still better than Savage Attacker.
>>
>>53068556
I don't see how that would make the cantrip better than an attack action
>>
>>53068394
You are especially dense.
>>
>>53068596
Well I fucked up, thought you could use the extra haste action action to cast cantrips.
>>
>>53068596
If you have Haste, you only get one weapon attack. That makes using something like BB or GFB better because it is already better than a normal weapon attack.
>>
>>53068540
>You could count distance on the x, y axis only though, ignoring the z axis, so flying straight overhead would be within 5'.
This is kinda what I had in mind. As long as you're within 5 feet on the horizontal plane, ignore disadvantage. I wasn't sure if there was anything more official, though.

>>53068609
It's just a question, brother. No reason to be a prick.
>>
>>53068300
I would a Laura Bailey if I knew I could survive Travis finding out. Dude can tear a man in half
>>
>>53068665
Can't use that action to cast spells though.
>>
>>53068509
Doesn't it depend on your weapon and level? I'd imagine a Sword and Board EK does more damage with booming blade at level 17-19
>>
>>53068665
You can't use BB or GFB as your hasted attack. You can only use one weapon attack. That's it. No cantrips, no attack actions, no frills, just one basic weapon attack.

Haste is only good as an attack buff if you're a GWM or smity paladin. For everyone else it'll just be an underwhelming attack.
>>
>>53068693
I bet this is the real reason Orion left. After he made that weird comment towards Vex "in character", Travis looked pretty god damn pissed at him.

Nobody touches Travis's waifu except Liam, apparently.
>>
What is this guy's build? Treachery Paladin? Why does dual wielding suck so hard?
>>
>>53068695
>>53068757
Oh shit, I didn't read the rules for those properly then. For some reason, I thought you could apply it.
>>
so im going to be dming for the first time for a group of 5 players: a artificer gunsmith, a bard(the more magic focused one), a barbarian, a circle of the moon druid , and a necromancer. All at lvl 6 but only 2 of the players are actually well experienced(necromancer and druid).

My question is whether or not a final boss composing of a group of 5 hobgoblins with a captain with a hydra coming in at the end of the 2nd round would be balanced

also if anybody has an idea for a random encounter in a forest that is mildly interesting but not too challenging that would be great
>>
>>53068781
I think the only reason Liam gets away with it is he's married, has kids, and seems slightly afraid of Travis. I'm surprised how hilarious he finds the whole Vex and Percy thing, especially the bath scene he fucking looses it.
>>
>>53068043
any tips for creating a villain from scratch then? At least as far as stats/abilities go. The DMG isn't very helpful in the villains section unfortunately
>>
>>53068693
I'd fug her so hard, and if travis found out, I'd fug him too.
>>
>>53068851
Hydras are a weird one because it depends entirely on how reliably the team can do fire damage. They are balls to the wall hard if not and fucking pushover jokes if they can.
>>
>>53068866
That's just confidence, man.

When you're as fucking huge as Travis is, you don't need to be worried about /anyone/ trying to get with your wife. I love that he supports the fun his wife has with her character, I'm tired of seeing married couples that don't support how the other has fun.
>>
>>53068746
It also depends on how easily you can deliver the extra damage, and how many targets you have. BB may never deliver it's extra damage if your target isn't retarded and GFB has to split it's damage between two very close targets. Fighter attacks can focus fire or freely disperse across targets anywhere within your move speed. In ideal scenarios the cantrips deal more damage, but ideal scenarios would be insanely hard to count on.
>>
>>53068866
I mean, it also helps that they have a sibling dynamic going in a role they've been playing for a damn long time. I'd imagine that's what's happening and why it's "ok". That and I expect travis isn't as much of a cuck as matt.
>>
>>53068746
The issue with it is that you can't use your Bonus Action shove then, so I guess... No one is really good at them consistently.
>>
File: 2b_thinking.png (24KB, 128x118px) Image search: [Google]
2b_thinking.png
24KB, 128x118px
>>53068953
>That and I expect travis isn't as much of a cuck as matt.
>>
>>53068596
It isn't, but with war caster it can give you a hell of an opportunity attack
>>
>>53068917
Now that I think about it yeah

>>53068944
True, then again I forget it is Talisen so there isn't really any thing to worry about. My other bases was as another anon said Orian said something and it looked like Travis was ready to break him.

Also growing up in fucking Nebraska skews your views to more traditional leanings.
>>
Lads, my players are completely content with theater of the mind, but I feel that at least my boss fights should actually be mapped out with miniatures.

What are some decent but not too expensive minis I could pick up?
>>
>>53068953
I hate that whole pairing, one is a ditzy idiot who should have at least some shit figured out by now and the other is a mood swinging woman.
>>
File: beaskinhead.jpg (54KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
beaskinhead.jpg
54KB, 728x546px
>>53068908
Whatever you do, don't give it a single initiative. They'll just get blown up by the first control spell that passes Legendary Resistance (if you even give it that) and dogpiled by the party.
>>
>>53069074
Tokens. Minis are clunky and never accurate enough; I don't get why anyone prefers them.
>>
>>53069146
Explain what you mean by tokens.
>>
We had a session, the players are journeying to a Dwarven Ruin 8 days away.
I like random encounters, when they happen, I roll a d12 (or the players roll). On an 11 they get a medium encounter, on a 12 they get a hard/deadly encounter

First day of Travel
>Roll a d12 for a random encounter
Your travel passes uneventful as you walk down the road with the summer sun beating on your back...
The sun sets and night begins. What do you do?
>players make camp and establish a watch order, 2 watches between 3 players (One is an Elf, so he has trance)
>Players roll a d12 for their watches for random encounters
>Both watches dont trigger a random encounter
During your watch the night is calm, serene. The cool wind of the night is a well deserved respite from the scorching sun on the road.

Day 2
>Roll a d12 for a random encounter
>Doesn't trigger a random encounter
>Players look bored

I made a temporary fix where I just divided the # of possible encounters by 6. Then rolled d20s for odd/even to determine Medium/Hard.

So (7 Days of travel +(7*2 for each watch) ) / 6

They ended up with 3 encounters, I rolled a d6 for Odd/Even to see if that decimal at the end would be an encounter. Super fun to act out, great memorable moments imo. Getting there felt like pulling teeth though.

Should i just keep my current solution?
I want there to be some tension, but the rolling doesnt feel tense, it feels boring, but maybe that was just due to the situation of rolling 4 times with nothing happening and there potentially being many many uneventful days ahead.

Anyone have recommendations? I would love to know how others run their random encounters.
>>
File: tokens.jpg (1MB, 2546x1613px) Image search: [Google]
tokens.jpg
1MB, 2546x1613px
>>53069158
>>
>>53069216
>4e
Get out.
>>
>>53069207
>I would love to know how others run their random encounters.
I don't.
>>
>>53068465
>>53068509
Never seen one in play, it's just that having only 3 1st level spell slots until level 7 doesn't look very compelling. Seems like a shittier warlock in principle if you have a few tricks down the sleeve but then are stuck mechanically bashing shit, with the bonus of being MADer, weaker even for your "baseline" attack, and with slower spell progression.
>>
Should I play a Duargar Hunter or a Deep Gnome Arcane Archer?

Also Crawford said that the Volley and Whirlwind Hunter abilities are 1 Attack with multiple attack rolls. Does this mean something that being invisible before using them gives me Advantage on all the attacks?
>>
File: 1380227759220.jpg (74KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1380227759220.jpg
74KB, 250x250px
>>53069230
>wants to use grid combat
>doesn't want to take cues form the edition specialized in using grid combat
>thinks tokens are a 4e invention in the first place
I'm tired of your kind
>>
>>53069264
Nigga that ain't me, don't go saying stupid ass shit.
>>
>>53069256
You sound boring
>>
>>53069291
I don't treat D&D like a video game, sorry.
>>
>>53069216
ehhh, thanks but no thanks.
>>
>>53069256
That seems the common attitude. My DM doesn't use them himself, he told me that he thinks that they are a waste of time and detract from the "narrative".

Why don't you use them?
>>
>>53069308
Because I feel that "random encounters" makes it feel too much like older Final Fantasy games or Pokemon or whatever RPG of your choosing that had random encounters.
>>
>>53069257
EK are basically a defencive Battlemaster at first and later on get enough tricks to be better then one but need Long Rests instead of Shorts.

Early picks are Shield and Absorb Elements while Sword and Boarding for protection and later on you use self-buffs like Enlarge, Blur, Mirror Image and Haste. Dump Intelligence because it isn't worth it, only use spells that don't require it.

When you have the Cantrip + Attack at level 7 I think then you can use that for Blade Ward or Resistance when you need to go super defence.
>>
File: binderclipminis.jpg (320KB, 2993x922px) Image search: [Google]
binderclipminis.jpg
320KB, 2993x922px
>>53069074
Go to an office supply store and get some heavy stock paper and a box of binder clips.

Put a bunch of the characters on one page in your image editor and print it. Flip the paper around and run it back through to get the rear image.

Cut 'em up and shove 'em in your binder clips. Remove the silver wingythings.
>>
>>53069336
That's a lot of Pathfinder art there anon, good way of doing it but you might want better pictures.
>>
>>53069316
That's fair, i can see a sort of "grind" in there if the random encounters are kinda flat. I mean...it was really easy to make 8 Tribal Warriors interesting last night, but the 4 Axe Beaks were kinda meh.

Though it was kinda nice because there were 2 new players in the group and they got to level 2 as a result of everything they fought along the way to the dwarven ruin.
>>
>>53069317
Oh, I see.
>>
>>53069087
Wait which one is which?
>>
>>53069336
This could work for me.

Now if only my printer wasn't a daemon-possessed machine that destroys anything that tries to get two sides printed on.

>>53069370
Yeah, that's the exact problem I'm talking about - whenever there are random encounters, people just try to muck about in the wilderness trying to "grind" levels.
>>
>>53069336
>implying I didn't just google "binder clip minis" and take the first decent image from reddit
>>
>>53069297
>everything that happens in life is part of a single unbroken narrative and unrelated events never happen
Are you one of thise people that think an encounter means you have to stab things?
>>
>>53069375
Exactly

Liam's the woman in that relationship, I get he tried the whole my character is torn inside but it just comes off as random mood swings.
>>
I think the game would be better without Attacks of Opportunity
>>
>>53069532
Cool, care to explain why?
>>
>>53069545
Nah
>>
>>53069389
>people just try to muck about in the wilderness trying to "grind" levels.

Admittedly they went straight to the dungeon, even traveling on the road.
I've never had players actually just grind out levels, they typically want to get through the wilderness to the cool stuff on the other side.

I don't really see the problem with wanting to grind out exp or other resources. I was in a Pathfinder game some years ago where that happened. We were in a town, there were a few of us Spellcasters who were talking with some Magi Guild. The Monk (who was legit a Batman RP) and the Fighter went off and did their own thing. Batman did some random encounters to bust from criminal activity in the slums, and the Fighter got on her horse and just rode around the forest outside of town looking to fight some stuff.

Though I think both random encounters and splitting the party is kind of considered unfashionable nowadays because I think alot of DMs run very narratively focused games where they seem to actually just write a story for the PCs to play out, which is fine, but not my style. I have a fondness for that "Old School" RPG feel, even though I was not part of that era. Probably because of Dark Souls.
>>
>>53069502
If you have a non-combat situation interesting enough to warrant doing then you should just do it. Why should I make up a scenario then hide it away with only a 20% of actually being encountered?
>>
>>53069389
>whenever there are random encounters, people just try to muck about in the wilderness trying to "grind" levels.
People still award levels for things that aren't story arc acheivements? Sounds awfully videogamey
>>
>>53069545
Encourages movement and creative combat.

I've had plenty of times when my players decide not to do something because even one enemy would take a single swing at them
>>
File: 1492808221143.jpg (20KB, 300x320px) Image search: [Google]
1492808221143.jpg
20KB, 300x320px
>>53069564
Ok then have this
>>
File: PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg (19KB, 600x478px) Image search: [Google]
PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg
19KB, 600x478px
Hey, fa/tg/uys. So, I'm running into a bit of a dilemma, and while I seek council on the subject, I also wish to share it in hopes that someone might get a few laughs.

My best friend, myself, and another friend of ours are all looking forward to playing DnD here very, very soon. If things run smoothly tonight and tomorrow, then I can have a small 2-player initial game set up by Saturday night so we can all get used to 5e. Best friend is super excited, and my other friend (who is also a GM by nature) is also glad to partake. Here's the thing though... They're both unrepentant furries.

My best friend was up first, and he tried very hard to convince me to allow an anthropomorphic unicorn into the group (which currently stands at only the two mentioned above, but can include a third and fourth. We're all playing on Skype and Roll20) After mulling it over in my mind, I decide to agree, helping him with a backstory that he's essentially a magical creation that turned out decently, with a trail of kinsmen who can only be described as 'abject failures' on the part of an insane wizard or warlock. His life will be hell in civilization, and he is fortunate he doesn't spend every day in mind-fraying agony. He agrees to this, and I figure the case is closed. I begin to get details from my other friend on what he wants to play? Is it a Dragonborn? A Warforged? I mean, I'll even accept a Drow at this point, I'm pretty open. Nope. Instead he wants to play a character, he says, has been with him for 10 years, and has been 'balanced' through the editions. Essentially this thing is a female of a race that can essentially be described as huge ass bipedal sharks with fur and tails. He claims that they are quick enough to earn a +1 to Dex, and since they are naturally in tune with magic, a +1 to Int. Now, when I said they're huge, he said that the females pretty much top out at 7 feet tall. Please help. I'm not sure what do here. Maybe I'm just too polite to say no?
>>
>>53069620
teehee, i tricked you
i wasn't the guy you were responding to at all!
>>
>>53069569
Because ideally you have a lot and it would slow down story progression if you did all of them
>>
>>53069608
I can see what you mean, the argument for it though is it makes sense in a real world idea. Someone moves away from you and you have the chance you're probably gonna try and hamstring him.
>>
>>53069640
GOD DAMN ILLUSIONISTS!
>>
File: otherkinwiccan.jpg (82KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
otherkinwiccan.jpg
82KB, 728x546px
>>53069637
You're just gonna have to run a game for a bunch of fucking furries.

If it helps, pretend it's not some sick fetish cartoon and is instead the Talespin universe or some shit. Just put it all in the perspective of old Disney properties where everything is an anthropomorphic animal and you'll be fine.
>>
File: n8umjWj.png (3KB, 698x1284px) Image search: [Google]
n8umjWj.png
3KB, 698x1284px
>>53069640
It still doesn't change the message conveyed.
>>
>>53069645
That is inefficient. I only make encounters I will actually use so that I may put all my effort into making each encounter as interesting as possible.
>>
>>53069637
>Bipedal sharks with fur and tails
...Sergals? I'm not sure how to classify that. As for the stats, I'd just flat out say no. Enough is enough. If they're "Huge", then have him take something to represent that, like +con. +int/+dex is a combination that doesn't exist, probably for reasons.
>>
>>53069569
My stance on it is that one of the most important things for D&D is the player's suspension of disbelief. The game is intended to be fueled by our imaginations. So having a world that just "exists" and doesnt exist solely for the players makes it seem more real, and I think random events happening pushes that sense of realness because they are events that occur even out of the control of the DM.

>Oh this wasnt even planned, this is just the world moving on its own
>>
Do you know any good published material to ripeaproproate ideas from? DM's Guild, Published, or Third party.
>>
>>53069719
He assures me that it isn't a sergal. (I'm sad to say that I even know what that is.) I'm stuck in a little bit of a pickle because I've told my friend that I'm okay with his weird brony fursona, after MUCH cajoling, and I'd feel like an ass if I denied the other one his character. I'm worried I'd break what's already an infant party by telling them both to fuck off, open the PHB, and try not to stick their weird little fetishes in a story that I am trying to create.
>>
>>53069748
Anime.
>>
How do you guys make your druids stand out amongst your other party members/ other druids? I'm having a hard time working with a personality other than being obsessed with trees and shit.
>>
>>53069717
>he hasn't been making encounters for years and compiled a list of detailed encounters to easily port into any campaign
>laughing 2e grognards.midi
>>
>>53069637
As another unrepentant furry, sorry mate.
But 7-8 feet is basically "crib the goliath and firbolg".

Give them Powerful Build. and link the pic.
Also, any OC is generally bad news.
>>
>>53069637
I mean, there's two questions you have to ask yourself.
1) Are you capable of keeping your face straight enough (or your composure) that you won't find yourself breaking mid-session as you realize the party makes no sense
2) Are the players going to keep it free from furry perversions.

Considering that you named yourself DM in Training, I highly do not suggest playing anything long term.
Though if you want experience, play something short.

t. someone who plays with some MtF trans turbofeminazi, who doesn't allow any of those things affect the game and is actually a good roleplayer.
>>
>>53069794
Play them less like a tree-hugging hippie who talks to squirrels and more like a real-world conservationist who wants these dirty fucking peasants to understand things like crop rotation, replanting their logging grounds, and sustainable living practices to reduce consumption and waste.

Show 'em how to increase their crop yields with the land they currently have instead of taking more of the woodland so you don't have to drop lightning bolts on their nature-destroying asses.
>>
>>53069808
The pics for both are equally, tremendously terrible. These are more custom races. I'm pretty sure I could press them into playing something... Normal. Friend 2 says that he wants to bring more 'variety' to the group. Says he's played too many Dragonborn. His demand would require me to implement a whole new civilization, though, which I'm still only figuring out how the world was made.
>>
>>53069794
I made a Druid who was less of a "i love nature" and "we must protect the natural world" and more of a "Beast Mage" he studied animals and nature as a scholar and learned to manipulate such things. He wore alot of furs and was pretty cool.

Other than that, maybe make a druid whose ideals are in-line with that of animal instincts

>Survival of the Fittest

>Pack mentality
Both in pecking order, Alpha gets first pick on loot etc etc, and on how loyal he/she is.

You could rip off https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_jungle as their own personal philosophy.
>>
>>53069855
Now I really want to see what the hell are they pushing unto you.

Anything else he told you? A 10yo OC tends to have some baggage.
>>
>>53069782
You already allowed the other guy his character, which is fairly "unique". That set the example, so you should follow through. Maybe you could run it as them both being escaped lab experiments, being hunted down by the scientists responsible?
>>
>>53069794
Druids are people too. Make a person, then add the sruid part. If you come at it from the class first, you will of course have problems not making a stereotype
>>
File: Oh god help.jpg (9KB, 164x230px) Image search: [Google]
Oh god help.jpg
9KB, 164x230px
>>53069893
Well, this is the not-sergal. Obviously meant for settings other than DnD as well. Again, I think it's more of a custom race than an OC.
>>
>>53069862
This is almost as bad as tree hugger. In fact i think edgy druid has become so common the tree hugger is actually less cliche
>>
>>53069637
This is how it happens m80s, the pfers take young impressionable DMs to be and condition them to accept their faggotry. It starts slow, but little by little more races get "home brewed" then they start petition to have them made official and everything goes to shit.

Absolutelysubversive.png
>>
>>53069936
This is better than what I expected, and worse at the same time. Give me a few min to process this.
>>
File: sharkplanes.jpg (123KB, 1024x1238px) Image search: [Google]
sharkplanes.jpg
123KB, 1024x1238px
>>53069936
Could I play an anthropomorphised aircraft in your campaign? I've had her for eight years. I say her, but she's a futa, because she's got a refueling boom.
>>
Can two, potentially three people (Paladin, Rogue, and potentially Bard) beat Strahd?
>>
File: 1466035788672.png (483KB, 497x732px) Image search: [Google]
1466035788672.png
483KB, 497x732px
>>53069936
>>
>>53069637
>Maybe I'm just too polite to say no?
in the end this game is a game about compromise, you will all devote time and effort to this creation and you shouldn't ever do it out of obligation, if people are having fun and everyone is in the same note, perfect.
that said, if you are DM'ing you are in your divine right to say no, you can ask them WHY do they need to play their abhorrent creations and how do they fit into your world and reach some compromise. they should on all regards share their expectations and express their wants, but they can't be in a position to demand anything out of you.

and my 2gp, why even bother with 5e at this point? your friends obviously don't care about anything this game is bringing to the table, a bunch of stuff in the game just doesn't work as a quadruped large creature or shit. they are probably not outright munchins but it can lead to a number of unexpected complications and if shit is just making your job harder, why bother?

if they can't have fun within your setting or if you can't have fun while agreeing to their demands, then why are you playing in the first place?
>>
>>53069794
Make a druid like they were depicted by the Romans. A tribalistic dude doing human and animal sacrifice.
>>
>>53069855
Don't worry about the big things like origins of the world and shit like that. Just focus on fleshing out a good base region the players are gonna spend their time in.
>>
File: tumblr_ng82slFlEy1qetcjvo1_1280.jpg (777KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ng82slFlEy1qetcjvo1_1280.jpg
777KB, 1280x1920px
>>53069936
how horrifying, it makes my mind flayer fanaticism seem reasonable.
>>
>>53070012
Thats just their day job though
>>
>>53069936
>>53069967
>when your abilities at finding porn prove useful.

Ok, for once, the creation and dedication in this oc is actually kind of endearing, in a macaroni pictureframe way.

Good news, your player isn't playing his waifu.
He is playing his imaginary friend that helped him through the rough times.

>>53070044
Anything interesting in the cephalofront?
>>
File: 1493864553633.png (250KB, 716x716px) Image search: [Google]
1493864553633.png
250KB, 716x716px
>>53070083
>>
>>53070044
...that mind flayer is kinda sexy
>>
>>53069893
Furthermore, best friend began by saying that he 'wants to play a White Mage, but with a fire spell.'

He's since chosen to be a wizard, and wants to become a Lich. No matter what you say, a lich with a unicorn skull is kind of metal.
>>
>>53070105
That's the correct response, I'd say.

Fuck, I'm making it.
I'll homebrew it.

>>53070205
Check out Nightmares.
>>
>>53068908
Use the create a monster section for the basic skeleton. Stats are driven to meet the metrics.

Borrow the abilities you want from other monsters or even classes - but just the abilities. Add a feat equivalent ability or magic item for every 4 CR to keep up roughly with PC feat bonus damage and their own magic items. If you wind up with abilities that require short rests, consider replacing them with Recharge or X/day and know to not to use them all in a row.

Single encounters need lair, legendary, or some other ability to survive against a team. Clever reactions can help - especially ones to mislead or teleport.
>>
what would be a more fun build to play?
Shadow monk to 20
or Rogue 3/ Warlock 2/ Monk 15 for darkness shenanigans
>>
>>53070394
>Single encounters need lair, legendary, or some other ability to survive against a team
This.

The only reason my most recent boss was even able to stand a chance against the party was because of his lair actions that I made for him. Without them, he'd have died very quickly.
>>
File: kowai.jpg (205KB, 500x1033px) Image search: [Google]
kowai.jpg
205KB, 500x1033px
>>53070083
working on a character concept.
>>53070118
d-do not sexualize our glorious race! this one for reasons beyond my power ended up looking too cute for its own good. no one needs the full res. sorry for that.
>>
>>53070551
Mind flayer is a little short. Could be two heads taller.
>>
>>53070661
maybe it's a tiny, sneaky one, special even, stuff happened and now it's on the run.

...but the height can be fixed easily later.
>>
>>53070551
I would that mind flayer
>>
Using Dual Wielder for that delicious double longsword life.

Oh man.
>>
File: dc2.jpg (103KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
dc2.jpg
103KB, 400x400px
>>53070993
Do you call yourself the double long dick of the law?
>>
>>53071386
>>53071386
>>53071386
NEW THREAD
>>
>>53071386
>>53071386
>>53071386

New thread laddies let's take our shenanigans over there
>>
>>53068465
SCAG cantrips are for rogues
>>
File: cow.jpg (115KB, 960x949px) Image search: [Google]
cow.jpg
115KB, 960x949px
does anyone.. ANYONE use non-meta spells? and I'm talking stuff like Augury and whatnot. I mean, I could count the amount the amount of times I seen spellcasters with something other than fireball/lightningbolt/magic-missile/mage armor a number of times i can count on one hand.

I'd like to use some of those other spells, but they all feel so damn situational. I'd love to use arcane lock, feign death, magic circle, the majority of illusion spells, and so forth.
Thread posts: 374
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.