[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tomb Of Horrors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

Our DM is running 5E Tomb of Horrors for us in a few weeks, and wants us to make characters for it. All unearthed arcana allowed. Any advice on the kind of character I should make?
>>
An expendable one.
>>
>>53068959
To clarify a little, we're level 15, and we get 3 magic items of our choice(up to rare). We apparently get a prize if we finish using the character we started with but I don't know what.
>>
>>53069082
Well, that makes it more interesting.
I don't know 5e, so I can't really help you too much on a build.
You suspect you'll need detection and divination to give you proper warning of dangers.
Something that gives you canon fodder would be good.
There may be a magical item that aids in that, but summoning might work too and would save you an item slot.
Is there an approved source of magic items to choose from?

I have ideas but no familiarity with the system.
/tg/ is the right place to ask, if we're feeling helpful.

If any anons do want to help, don't spoil any surpises for OP.
>>
>>53068959
You might want to consider an alchemist Artificer. The Alchemist's acid auto-maximizes damage on objects and requires no attack roll, and you'll get four extra magic items from a really useful list. Artificer can also infuse items with spells to give martials no-concentration fly, haste, gaseous form, invisibility, enhance ability, etc.
>>
I don't know what they've done with the 5e version of the Tomb, but walking on the ceiling might be a plus.
>>
>>53068959
level 15 druid with dungeon delver
>>
>>53068959
Scourge aasimar (volo's guide) Zealot Barbarian.
Fifteen levels of it.

Annoy the shit out of your party as you prevent them from fighting enemies because of your auto-damage aura while raging
And then pump it up to over-maximum to annoy them even further as you drain your precious health in the process
>>
>>53071017
What would be the point? There's barely any monsters in the tomb.
>>
>>53071050
to piss your party off with the few monsters you encounter
>>
>>53069611
>Is there an approved source of magic items to choose from?
Can you answer this OP?
>>
>>53070632
>I don't know what they've done with the 5e version of the Tomb
They basically made it light and fluffy in comparison to the brutal dungeon crawl that it was in the past.

Y'know how spiked pits were lethal and how most characters wanted to avoid them at all costs? Now you can just tank the hit thanks to every PC having a shitload of HP to tank whatever failed DEX save they may encounter.

It's a mess.
>>
>>53076749
I suppose that if it's too light, the GM could always exercise his own initiative and up the difficulty himself instead of being bound soul and mind to the book.

Additionally, oath of conquest paladin good tier, mix liberally with defensive magical artifacts and the defensive fighting style and get a 28 AC
>>
>>53076778
The only way to truly emulate the feel of 2e is to make every trap in the game a OHKO without a save but this is a moot point since most people in the hobby nowadays are used to their characters being invincible badasses who do badass things for the sake of being badass.

If the book makes a character strong, you're going to be called out if you make a character weak.
>>
>>53076827
Honestly I've ran a couple of hardcore 5e campaigns, and most of the players enjoy it a lot and say they feel like their actions have more purpose than other 5e campaigns or something similar. Of course a few players weren't impressed with it, but to each their own.

I think you're overestimating the 'softness' of the average player.
>>
>>53076853
If I'm overestimating, it's because I've seen it so often that it's become the new standard. Granted, it's much harder to make a snowflake in 5e than in 3.PF but the point still stands since most people in 5e migrated from 3.PF.
>>
>>53076913
Maybe you've just been extremely unlucky (Or I've been lucky.) For the sake of the hobby, let's hope it's the prior.
>>
>>53076947
Honestly, it's the mindset that games like 3.PF (and to a lesser extent 5e) encouraged.

Players are taught that their characters are special and that everything about their being makes them inherently better than everyone else who doesn't have class levels. They can fight longer, run faster, take more damage, are smarter, wiser, and more charismatic, and they have a plethora of amazing abilities that allow them to survive practically everything.

Unfortunately, this also makes players entitled, because they're so used to winning that they've forgotten that losing a necessary consequence of playing the game. If they're hit by adversity, they browbeat the DM for making things unfair, since they have so much power that nothing challenges them unless the DM purposefully makes them challenging.

So DM's become conditioned to lower the difficulty to avoid confrontation, which makes players feel more entitled, which creates a cycle that undermines the game in favor of roleplay.
>>
>>53068959
Make one that doesn't like ice cream
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.