[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

D&D storytime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: danyah_miller_storyteller_3.jpg (68KB, 380x310px) Image search: [Google]
danyah_miller_storyteller_3.jpg
68KB, 380x310px
Ever have one of those games that you'd LOVE to play again? That even years later, you remember it fondly?

Here's mine. Remember-able, remarkable, and fun story's from the table general thread.

I have to set the stage here first. 4 of us decided to play a game of d&d, something we'd not done in a long time. Our DM (we'll call him Shawn, because that's his fucking name), volunteered for the job, and said he'd dicked around with a setting for a long time, and would like to run it.

We agreed and everyone showed up to play. We picked my house, because I'd just turned my den into a game room.
We rolled of course, because we're old school.

I got a mediocre fighter, one guy got a sorta weak mage, and one guy got the rare Paladin. 3 6's on cha.... there were cheers as he rolled the final number he needed.

So, a fighter, a mage, and a pally. We all agreed to play 'good' pc's, so as to not cause issues with the pally's code.

Story begins below........
>>
>>53053197

>DM starts each of us off in different locations.
>We rolled for backgrounds, I don't recall the other two pc's backstory too much,
>My little fighter was the son of a farmer. I'd been trained by an old guard, and taught the basics of sword play.
>We were subtly steered towards becoming guards on a wagon train leaving soon
>After a month on the road together, and some fun RP at the fireside, we all agreed that our pc's were fast becoming friends
>a bandit attack gave us our first chance to draw blood together
>When we arrived at our destination, we dropped the surviving bandits off at the jail, and collected a small reward
>This began our lives of adventurers
>And ended our first session, just shy of lv 2
>One thing about shawn as dm.....he never said "No, you can't do that"
>He'd say "Well, you can try, but you may not survive"
>The choice was ours, he just set the stage.

cont
>>
>>53053285
cont.

>We heard about a village that needed help with kobolds coming out at night to attack farmers
>We head that way, and by the time we arrive, we're a solid lv 2.
>We check with the villagers, and eventually (after a lot of work), track the kobolds to their den.
>The mage dies a brutal death, catching a couple kobold spears in his back
>The pally and I survive and clean the kobold nest out
>We get some great treasure rolls, (no magic, but lots of gems/gold)
>We bury the mage, and the DM tells him to reroll if he'd like to
>We could have tried to bring the mage back, but we didn't have the coins or the ability to do so
>The player said he'd roll one up next session and we'd figure out how to work him in
>The pally wanted to give all the gold except a small part to the local village to help them rebuild some of what the kobolds had destroyed
cont
>>
>>53053343
cont..

>We donate the gold to the villagers and build a nice little tomb for the mage (since he was our friend after all)
>We continue traveling east, with no specific destination in mind
>We help the next village get a trapped boy out of a collapsed mine
>we also reach our next level
>We continue going east towards the ocean..
>We stop to help a farmer make peace with his neighbor, and prevented a bloody (if small scale) family feud
>We explore an old ruined tower and kill some undead
>we gain another level, and realize at this point that we're still using our starting gear, and have basically no gold to upgrade
>the pally says he didn't mind, as our starting gear was working fine so far
>A few more skirmishes with roaming monsters saw us reach level 6 by the time we hit the coast.
>The guy playing the mage came back next session, and spent the entire time reading the complete book of wizards, and didn't bother rolling up a new pc

cont
>>
>>53053197
>Remember-able

The word you're looking for is memorable.
>>
>>53053432
cont

>We were told of a troll terrorizing a nearby area, and we headed that way
>after an ugly battle, my fighter burned the troll to ash after hacking it apart
>the pally didn't survive the battle, the troll attacked him as I was trying to climb out of the trap I fell into
>I bury the pally and loot the troll cave
>The player of the pally was pretty sad about it all, but we'd rushed into something that was over our heads, and paid the price
>He said he'd roll up a pc if we were going to keep going
>Meanwhile, the DM kept my adventure going
>I carried all I could back to the nearest big city, and bought much better weapons and armor
>I don't recall exactly, but I think my AC went down 5 or 6 which was huge in 2e
>The pally player and the mage's player decided to listen in instead of rolling up new pc's for a while, because they didn't want to start at lv 6, and lv 1's wouldn't fit in
>I talked to a noble in the area, and he agreed to sponsor me as a knight, if I could prove my worth
>I dispatched 2 ogres and got my knighthood
>This gave me no special powers, but did allow me to court the nobles daughter (with his blessing)
>The noble was delighted to have a mid level fighter on his side, and made me captain of his troops
>I defended one of his outposts from another nobles attack, and even though we were tired and outnumbered, we attacked back
>I brought the offending noble to my father in law in chains but unharmed ( i obeyed the local customs of not harming nobles)
>I thus at lv 8, gained the castle of the defeated noble

cont..
>>
>>53053581
Keep er goin op!
>>
>>53053813
This, desu senpai.
>>
>>53053581
cont.

>The next session, the other two made up low level pc's, and we stuck them in my new castle as guardsmen
>While I was rp'ing diplomacy in the Kings court, the DM was allowing them to gain exp with a series of battles with bandits and goblins
>By the time I was back at my castle, they were within a couple levels of me, and we all agreed that we could function together just fine
>I left my spouse in charge of the castle, and we headed North in search of an idol that was said to have the power to increase crops in a big way.
>Carrots the size of horses, etc
>the other two were both fighters btw....so we were 3 fighters, no multiclass, just straight fighters
>We track the idol down, and kill the giant guarding it after a battle in a massive garden
>We take the idol back and soon we have crops that defy belief
>The kings men come and take the idol within a year
>I go protest to the king, and fail to change his mind
>He orders me to leave, and tells me if he hears anymore about this idol, he'll strip my titles and lands
>I go home like a little bitch
>I talk to my father in law, and complain about the idol to him, he agrees to bring it up at the next yearly council meeting
>With no other recourse, we go on a recruiting run
>Recruiting runs were fun
>We needed skilled people, engineers; horsemen; medics; master blacksmiths
>This involved no small amount of rp interactions as we'd talk people into moving to our castle
>>
>>53053915
cont

>We went home, with little exp gained really, and at great cost in gold, but with a large group of people that would add to our strength
>We heard rumors of sightings of drow near an outlying farm area, and we headed that way
>We freed a group of dwarves from the drow, and they returned to mining some premium metal (Could easily be worked into quality weapons/armor)
>The dwarves agree to sell us bulk metal, at a much reduced price, by way of thanks
>the magical drow weapons turn to dust in the sunlight, so we gained nothing from that
>With a supply of metal coming in, and our merchants and blacksmiths selling high quality weapons/armor, we began to grow
>More blacksmiths joined our service and a Temple to Pelor was built near our castle
>The King summoned me to court and raised my taxes due to the growth
>The King also decided that I'd pay a stipend of 3 wagons of weapons in addition to the gold
>I protested, but to no avail
>The yearly council meeting where the nobles aired their complaints was approaching, and my father in law urged me to wait on the other nobles before i acted rashly
>We toured the kingdom for a few weeks, helping people where we could, and seeing how things were
>we learn that the king is hitting people pretty hard with taxes, and that he's putting almost all the duty of 'protection of citizens', on the back of the nobles, with no compensation
>Meanwhile, he's expanding his castle, and paid 10,000 gold for his daughters wedding
>We get irked by this, but do nothing, as he is the rightful king
>The King began a conscription of young men, to fill the ranks in his army
>service was mandatory, and you weren't paid for your time
>taxes increased again
>the kings royal children threw lavish parties, and killed peasants at will
>The royal council meeting was canceled and we were told that the council was no longer needed, by order of the King
>We knew at this point, that this was leading up to a battle with the king one day
>>
>>53054083
cont

>We kept training and growing and doing our best to keep people fed and clothed
>We raided a huge gnoll lair in a battle that took us 9 hours to complete (after 3 hours of set up time)
>It was a large pack of gnolls, and the loot was good, and helped pay for some of the costs of the castle, as we were running in the red
>I had a child in game at this point, and we were all three at lv 10
>Rule of our little mini-barony was shared between us three, with me handling diplo matters, and the other two handling training and military issues
>The other nobles were grumbling about the king, but so far, none had stood up
>Finally, my father in law did, and was promptly hanged for speaking sedition against the throne
>The Kings men came to our castle and demanded that I present myself before the King
>I did so, and the King informed me that my child would be taken into his court as a hostage against treason, since treason ran in my family's bloodline
>I was given 1 month to bring the child to the King or be considered outcast, and hunted down and slain
>I return home and we talk it over and decide that this kings rule has gone on long enough
>I sent messages to the other nobles, and while a couple agreed to fight with me, most refused to help, but agreed to 'stay neutral'
>At this point, the guy who'd started with a pally told me a secret he'd been keeping.
>He'd dug up the pally that had died, and his body was in the Temple of Pelor awaiting the order to be brought back to life in a time of need
>The DM took over the fighters sheet as an NPC, and gave the player his paladin's sheet back
>The paladin (after a tearful greeting) agreed to rally the clerics of Pelor in our march against the King
>The other player took over direct command of the "special troops", like siege equipment and squads of archers
>I was left with the main force of infantry
>The paladin was given command of a squad of clerics, and a small group of heavy cav
>The session ended

cont
>>
>>53054207
What a cliffhanger anon!
>>
>>53054207
>The big battle started on a Sat morning IRL,
>The kings army met us on the field
>We were outnumbered 20 to 1
>The siege equipment did ugly damage to the kings army as it was grouped up
>Our infantry intercepted their cav as they charged our siege equp
>The archers (oddly enough), did not aid us very much, missing 9/10 shots
>The small group of clerics and hv cav ripped through the kings army like paper, but we were still badly outnumbered
>The enemy captain came forward and challenged me to a duel, I accepted
>His blade was coated in poison of course, but I still managed to eek out a victory and beheaded him in front of his army
>The dm did a moral check and a few began to run away
>then more ran........then more
>We routed those that remained and continued our march on the Kings castle
>It was close to midnight when we stopped, 10 hours for that battle
>Fuckin' epic, imo

cont
>>
>>53054270
>The siege of the Kings castle was ugly, and brutal
>The King killed hostages of noble families, tried to bribe our captains, and tried more poison
>I must confess, having a Paladin around is awesome, and brings luck
>Eventually we reduced the gates and walls to rubble, and marched into the castle
>The king had thrown himself from the top floor, and saved us the trouble of hanging him
>We gathered the nobles, and declared by unanimous vote that the old king's bloodline was no longer royal
>We then discussed who would become king
>Each noble was allowed 1 vote
>I lost the vote by 3 votes and some other guy became king
>The new king quickly revised the taxes, and conscription
>The new king also had me sign a pledge of support in the temple of Pelor (basically a geas), swearing to never raise my sword against the throne
>I agreed, because I was a good guy, and wanted to keep the peace after all this bloodshed
>We were given some treasure from the King's armory.......at this point, I got my first magic weapon. A +2 Longsword, and a +1 shield and a set of mithril armor.
>The pally was made head of the military branch of the temple, and that suited him just fine
>The other player was made War Marshal, and given command of all the border troops
> And with that, our campaign ended
>We sit and discussed things, and the DM answered all remaining IG questions we'd wondered about
>How many gnolls got away? Who talked the king into killing my father in law? Why didn't the King's army hit us sooner?
>All was answered
>I gotta say, it was the most fun we''d ever had playing a ttrpg
>Every fucking NPC was a 'person', the DM fleshed them all out, but not to an annoying level
>The recruiting runs we did, were funny and challenging in a way no other DM that I've played with has ever mastered.

And that, is my memorable game. Some would call it 'low magic', but there was all the magic we wanted, we just didn't seek it out.

Good times.
>>
>>53053197

low stats? Check
always low on gold? Check
nearly no magic items? Check
forced to RP encounters ? Check
No cleric/druid in the party? Check
All humans? Check

This was the least exotic game ever. And the most fun.

I encourage others to try a game like this, without magic shops, or min/max druids/clerics/mages.

It can be fun.
>>
>>53053432
Wait, you mean you were 6th level in 2 sessions?
Using what edition of D&D?
>>
>>53057175
No.
>A few more skirmishes with roaming monsters saw us reach level 6 by the time we hit the coast.

That trip was 3-4 sessions.
>>
>>53053197

1 story? 1? Just one fucking anon posted a story?

Does /tg/ not into ttrpgs?
>>
>>53062157

Post stories TG.
>>
bump this shit

Entertain me with tales /tg/
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.