[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

System Suggestions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1489463426013.jpg (250KB, 1000x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1489463426013.jpg
250KB, 1000x1600px
For the longest time, I've been running games in 3.x based systems and been dissatisfied. Years have passed and mountains of house rules have been written, and I'm fed up trying to force the square peg that is my personal tastes into D&D's round hole.

Now, I've been looking this whole time. Hate the shit out of Gurps, and I hate the shit out of narrtiveist rules lite systems. Looked into 4th and 5th editions of D&D, don't care for either. 4th's mountain of powers and whatnot turns me off. 5th doesn't look too shabby, but it's skill system seems off and it's weapons are too samey.

Runequest looked promising, but the lack of character customization via talents, feats, and abilities turned me off.

Now, I love me some Dark Heresy, and other fantasy flight d100 games. Looked at warhammer fantasy roleplay 2nd edition, but it's too locked into it's weird class system for my taste, and I hate it's weapon and armor stats, but those could be easily houseruled. Honestly, I'm close to just smashing DH and WFR together and seeing what I can come up with as a homebrew system, but first I thought I'd come here and ask,

Does /tg/ have any idea of a system that'd do gritty, grounded dark fantasy well without me having to break it over my knee.
>>
>>53052978
Classic Fantasy is RuneQuest 6e (now called Mythras) with rules for minis, and powers based on D&D classes and races. It also gives more luck points to allow for more difficult encounters regularly.

PDF Share thread has it.
>>
>>53052978
There's Zweinhander, a grimderp fantasy RPG that's essentially WHFRPG with a few tweaks and the serial numbers filed off. Don't know if it's out yet or not, but I remember seeing a good number of threads about it.

Anything you specifically hated about GURPS, or was it just everything? If it was just a few things, I'd be glad to point out other rules within the system that will turn the game into something more appealing as I honestly do feel that GURPS is awesome with gritty dark fantasy games, but if you disliked the system as a whole, I won't waste your time gabbing about a system you'd never want to use.
>>
>>53053076
Mostly, my problem with GURPS is the same problems I have with FATE and the like, just in the opposite direction. There is too littel crunch, and there is too much crunch, and GURPS is like a mouthfull of gravel in that respect. 1 second turns, three turns to throw a damn hand grenade, piecing together multiple abilities to make a breath weapon. On top of that, there are just too many damn splatbooks that I'm just not willing to pick through to find what I'd need, and I have players in my group who just wouldn't be able to handle the system complexity. I have to hold hands from time to time with 3.x or Dark Heresy, GURPS would kill them.
>>
>>53053464
Yeah, sounds like GURPS just ain't yo thang. I love the level of detail and tactical thinking that comes with one-second turns (e.g. do you have three seconds to safely ready and fling a grenade; should you dive into cover before hand; If enemies goes for their 'nade, are you better off diving for cover or rushing them before it's primed; etc.), and the tweaking you can do with advantages and modifiers lets me get character abilities just right, but I can totally understand just not wanting to deal with all that all the time.

Hope you find a system that works for you, Anon!
>>
>>53052978
FantasyCraft.
>>
>>53052978
>>53053464
>>53052978
>the lack of character customization via talents, feats, and abilities turned me off.
If you're players are as dumb as you imply, why do you need any of that stuff? It sounds like your players would be perfectly happy with B/X (or Labyrinth Lord).
>>
>>53052978
Why not Warhammer Fantasy 1e?
>>
>>53052978
Have you looked into Song of Swords? its dice pool and still in beta but it aims for a HEMA style of combat.
Alternatively there is Riddle of Steal.
>>
>>53053834
Vitality bloat is real when you get above Levl 6 or so, senpai.
>>
File: 3zsqa75.jpg (686KB, 1209x804px) Image search: [Google]
3zsqa75.jpg
686KB, 1209x804px
>>53052978
Have you heard about Shadow of the Demon Lord?
>>
Wait for my original RPG system I'm designing, anon. Should be available in 4 - 200 months
>>
>>53053464
>GURPS would kill them.
Perfect.
Run GURPS.
Then you can find smarter, better players and play whatever you want!
>>
>>53055882
>players grow on a tree
Sometimes, you have to play with shitty players if you want to play at all.
>>
>>53054430
Seconding this suggestion if you want to go heavy on martial characters. But there's no magic system yet, so that may be a problem.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.