[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Satisfying magic system?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Elementalism
>Based on intelligence
>Adheres to a pokemon-like rock paper scissors of different elements countering and affect other elements

>Spells are based on a vocabulary system where the caster uses certain words from different categories(i.e range, form, element, power) to form the spell and it's effects
>the limits being the spell caster's upper vocabulary limit(3-7 words) and the spell caster's potential(stronger/more potent words have a higher value. Going above your potential increases chance of the spell backfiring

Divinity
>Based on faith/wisdom(whatever you want to call it) and a level of Fidelity to whichever deity you follow
>Each deity has a list of rules to follow to increase fidelity
>At lower levels Spells are easy to get and simple to use(Heal, cure, smite, etc.)
>Base spells are designed to be weak and underwhelming
>Spells gain extra damage/effects/potency/statuses based on the powers of your deity as your fidelity increases

Mysticism
>Based on faith/wisdom
>Base spells are similar to Divinity in simplicity to use and specific spells, but have a dramatically wider library
>Higher level spell casting becomes the most powerful straight-forward damage but begins to revolve around collecting rare ingredients, waiting for specific times of day/lunar stages/solar stages, and days/weeks/months of preparation

What do you guys think? I'm brainstorming this myself, and it helps to write things out, and especially if someone would be kind enough to give me their opinion. These are the 3 main branches of magic. I'll be going into the offshoots next.
>>
>>53047969
I'd go for elementalism personally.
>Relatively simple to implement.
>Simple to explain
>Allows players to decide how they go about casting spells since the order they say syllables matters.
>Going above your potential reaps massive rewards but also increases the risks of shit backfiring.
>>
Necromancy
>Based on both intelligence and faith/wisdom, requiring the highest stat investment to be effective
>3 types of spells include independent(Simple, normal spells like fire ball, except the fireball is a spectral hand/blade, Independent(The user summons a spectral ally) Full Control(The user summons a phantom-like creature and takes control of them, leaving the user's main body vulnerable),
>Killing a creature and taking a trinket from them(Usually a bone, or a piece of equipment famous for being used by an individual like King Arthur and Excalibur) allows you access to Bonded summoning
>Bonded summoning changes your spells from a spectral phantom to a physical skeleton/zombie with much more damage and health

Shaman
>Branches off from Elementalism
>Based on meditating to go into the spirit world to search for a spirit of power
>Spirits of Power must be talked to, persuaded, and impressed in order to be granted their assistance
>Spirits of Power gives the user extra skills and passives
>A spirit's moveset changes when you've earned their full respect, committing more effort and power of theirs for better skills

Conjurer
>Branches off from Mysticism
>Creates altars and rituals to summon demons and devils for advice and power. Can also sign contracts and create pacts at the risk of the demon gaining control
>>
>>53048367
Weird because I designed Elemetanlism specifically to be a little more complicated to feel like actual magic. Divinity and low-level Mysticism are supposed to be the easy spells with the simple "Choose a spell and cast it" formula
>>
>>53048761
Think of it like this right.

Memorizing the effects for over a hundred spells can be taxing, which is why most players will only commit a handful of spells to memory or will utilize a grimoire of sorts to access these spells whenever it's required.

If you tie a magical effect to a syllable, and that syllable has different properties depending on where it's placed, it makes it so that you can create an exponential number of spells while only requiring the player to memorize a fraction of the effects.

I forget the anime it's from, but the webm I saw of it was like a teacher explaining how magic worked in a classroom. He said a phrase, which would normally just generate a lightning bolt, but as he added more syllables and removed parts of the phrase, the spell's effect changed, such as changing direction or losing power.

I imagined it being like that, casters say a phrase to yield an effect and the order you say it determines what sort of effect will play out.
>>
Animist
>Based on intelligence
>Absolutely no offensive/defensive spells and very few buffs/debuffs but allows you to create golems, chimeras and other constructs
>Each Animist has a level of control. Having too many constructs bound to your will, or having a construct too powerful may abandon you

Alchemist
>Based on Intelligence
>Permanently and Temporarily enhances equipment and items
>>
>>53048761
For the record, when I said this part
>which is why most players will only commit a handful of spells to memory or will utilize a grimoire of sorts to access these spells whenever it's required.
I meant in the sense that players will either write them down or access an app with the full list of spells. Although there could be overlap in universe.
>>
Wizards don't do anything
They summon demons and crap and have them work for mana
>>
>>53048954
Yea that's pretty similar to what I was thinking. Assuming that I'll never have the creativity/time to create a completely made up magical language, I was planning on using greek.

>Makria ischyrós fotia teíchos

Word limit of 5. a hypothetical controll level of 55. if the spell caster had a control of 50 then there'd be a certain chance that the spell backfires and one of the elements becomes unreliable
>The spell might cast on yourself, or a few spaces away from where you cast it
>The spell might turn into a different element combined with a much lower power
>The spell might not even be the form you chose

>>53049084
See conjurer
>>
>>53049208
How would you determine control level?
>>
>>53049548
Each word would have a value assigned to it

>1square distance = 2, 2square = 4, etc.

All that adds up to the spell's total value which ahs to be lower than the caster's control level.

A caster's control level would come from
>The Caster's level, some skills you'd have to invest in over learning different words, having a higher max vocab limit, the caster's intelligence level
>>
There's lots of different "summoner" types
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.