[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 393
Thread images: 38

File: Armor Archer.jpg (109KB, 674x1037px) Image search: [Google]
Armor Archer.jpg
109KB, 674x1037px
Fifth Edition General Discussion Thread

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Revised subclasses
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/7e74b19937c1

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/... >>53037829

What mysteriously appearing art has inspired your characters?
>>
>>53045242
>Having random art be the beginning inspiration for a character

Absolutely plebian
>>
i'm thinking of turning my sorcerer into ben 10 and polymorphing myself into some shit. anything else i should add to make it better?
>>
Flails not being versatile is dumb.

Proposal for a housrule: any melee weapon without the Light, Finesse, or Two-Handed property can be wielded in two hands, for a one die increase to its damage (d6->d8, d8-d10)
>>
>>53045355
Do you have a reliable way of attaining key magic items? If not then that's basically it. Maybe a race with some interesting abilities.
>>
File: 1487095715681.png (1MB, 1916x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1487095715681.png
1MB, 1916x2592px
>>53045242
This made me want to have one of my characters have a kid... Sadly I'm forever DM and will never get to play them.
>>
>>53045417
Probably fine, +2 AC is generally better than only one dice size increase.
>>
>>53045417
Military flails are one-handed weapons though. Too short to be wielded in two hands.

The two-handed variety has a completely different structure.
>>
>>53045463
They better be an NPC in your games. That's what I do, my PCs become NPCs when they are never played. If they die they don't have to die in my campaigns.
>>
>>53045463
I know that feel, hopefully one of my players likes running the one shot he's making and then I can play the idea I have.
>>
>>53045441
well we are level 3 at the moment so by the time i get polymorph at level 7 i should have something
>>
>>53045509
I may place someone in the game I have like ..15 characters I'm sure some of them could potentially be NPCs.
>>
Anons? There's this 5e-based campaign setting I'm trying to build up for personal amusements I could really use a hand with in terms of crunching stats for native PCs, monsters, magic, etc. Would it be /tg/ relevant to start a thread for it, or not?

Fair warning, the setting's theme is "post-apocalyptic fantasy", of the "fantasy world blew itself all to hell" variety, and the backstory involves a war between dwarves and elves (who're fleshcrafting necromancers from another planet).
>>
>>53045600
my first thought is to just rename everything without changing the numbers etc. it is arguably the easiest way to completely overhaul the flavor.

another option is to do the above but then tweak the monsters and spells following advice in the DMG. this is a bit more work than just renaming everything but adds that custom flair you might be looking for.

doing everything from scratch is very time consuming. and there is a worry surrounding getting the new material in the players hands. are you willing to write out a new spell book for the PCs to use when making characters and playing? any changes to races or classes will override the PHB and make character creation slower and more difficult.
>>
>Lore Master Wiz
>cast Magic Missile at whatever level you desire, target one missile per creature
>spend one 1st level for 2d10 force damage on every missile
>1d4+1+2d10 per creature, guaranteed hit

Is this legit
>>
>>53045717
Yes that works. It's per target, not per missile or per casting.
>>
>>53045717
Of all the broken shit you can do, that's one of softest.
>>
>>53045671
The mild tweaking options is best. Going from nothing is awful, and no changes won't make it yours. Tweak a little and leave the hardest work to wizards.
>>
File: 1443058012493.png (3MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
1443058012493.png
3MB, 1242x2208px
>>53045765
Go on
>>
>>53045717
>One of my players still doesn't understand the why I laughed and said hell no when he wanted to play this class

That's the tip of the iceberg on how broken that subclass is.
>>
File: IMG_4624.png (53KB, 1875x631px)
IMG_4624.png
53KB, 1875x631px
>>53045801
Multiclassed unearthed arcana aside it follows rules. But if I were your DM I'd take you out back and beat you if you came to the table with this.
>>
Forever DM, about to play for the first time soon. I want to do Trickery Cleric, Illusion Wizard, or maybe a Multiclass of both. Has anybody made one of these? Any advice?
>>
>>53045840
>people think UA isn't just a rough draft that will be tweaked after the feedback points out the broken shit like this
>>
>>53045801
Throwing around Force Charisma/Intelligence save fireballs is no fucking joke, or using Strength/Dexterity save Hold Person.

They took a good part of Lore bard and a decent part of Sorcerer then handed it to one of the strongest classes in the game.
>>
>>53045901
If you're trying to make the best character you can with the concept, you only need 1 level of cleric or only 2 levels of wizard. Don't split your caster classes evenly or you fuck up your spell progression.
>>
>>53045840
Nuclear Druid doesn't work with Loremaster. One of the only good things that came from Loremaster is the wording on Alchemical Casting. Look for the next version of Harvest Scythe to use that wording over its current.
>>
What's the best for your character when you aren't at session?

-Your character disappears/reappears when you aren't there.
-Your character is there in the background for roleplay but not for combat.
-The DM takes over your character for combat but not for roleplay.
-Your DM takes over everything.
>>
Party has taken on a gnoll follower after he's converted to good from an encounter with a Celestial bear. Should I let him level up in any fashion if they bring him with for combat, let them train him in a class of some kind, etc.?
>>
>>53046226
Just have them do something else or something.
>>
>>53046226
>The DM takes over your character for combat but not for roleplay.

For me I try and write the PC out of the game for the day if I can. Sometimes it unavoidable though, when that happens I ask the player if they need anything said or done and I do those things. Then for the rest of the time, they are just there for combat.
>>
>>53046239
If you must have him progress, let him gain hit dice, proficiency, or ability scores. Don't build him like a PC or you'll have an NPC taking too much spotlight. The NPC can get more powerful without getting more complex.
>>
>>53046226
-Your character disappears/reappears when you aren't there.

the next session that player is back is a great opportunity to speed up a plot point or reveal a cool secret. it also gives the missing player a fun thing to bring into the mix even though they missed the last session.
>>
>>53046226
Depends.

If we're at a city or something, write me out.
However if we're doing something important, have my character in the background. Usable for resources and any small role-playing bits that are needed as well as combat.

It can be awkward when a character is important for a session and the player isn't there, but we have to make the best of it and not let it fuck over the group.

I once had the awkward measure of having to roleplay a character refusing to hand over a plot book because the player wasn't there and I knew his style of play. It was a bit awkward, but everyone understood.
>>
>>53046365
i should add that this is all context dependent.

at critical junctures i'm loath to have any one missing which can mean the game doesn't happen for a month.

i also set a quorum limit before a game can be played. i have loyal and reliable players so that's ok, but it can be tough if the group is unreliable.
>>
>>53046226
When one guy had set up beforehand that he would not be able to play due to starting up a business (lfgs I might add) I had his character just not be present, with the vague explanation that he had gotten sick. When he came back, he got healed and had part of a session catching up with the party and getting some party-wide hooks they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

More recently when a player was sick, tried to play, but dropped out of the call half an hour in, I took control of his character for the remainder of the session, asking the other players "I think the barb would do this, how about you?" And they agreed with me, but it was mostly for dramatic effect anyway.
>>
does anyone have any experience playing an awakened or avatar mystic?
all i hear about is immortal meme builds.
>>
>>53046239
Yes, give him stuff or a class.
>>
Which do you think would be a better Greater favoured enemy? Fiends or Aberrations? I know the game is going to involve both
>>
>>53046758
Aberrations, shout that Call of Cthulu makes no sense or just shout jibberish as you attack.
>>
>>53046626
Sorry, just psychomethabolic bros here.
>>
>>53045944

Thanks. Why only Cleric 1? Is Trickster's Blessing not worth it? And what's sneakier, Cleric 1/Wizard X or Wizard 2/Cleric X?
>>
>>53045355
Be a Moon Druid instead.
>>
>>53047043
no
>>
>>53046810
fug
>>
>>53047380
Thinking about it, you could play the X-Men as mystics.
>>
>DM makes a set of magic weapons for TWF
>They each require a bonus action to activate
just... why
>>
>>53047559
...Poor understanding of how balancing works in this edition?
>>
Has there ever been a creature who grants bardic inspiration?

How would the statline look like?
Inspiration (x/Day) Grants 1d12 inspiration?
>>
File: 1456465013955.jpg (51KB, 500x606px)
1456465013955.jpg
51KB, 500x606px
Alright, I'm done complaining. Is it too late to jump on board the 5th ed bandwagon? Is it too late to sign up for events?
>>
>>53048359
No
>>
>>53048359
I feel like it wasn't my fault I had to drop my first 5th ed game. I was stuck between a wall and a literal retard.
>>
Is that really part of your job description that you have to babysit the mentally challenged? I feel like the sheer number of mentally handicapped people who play the game detract from its enjoyment.
>>
>>53048471
I mean, I don't mean this ironically or sarcastically, there are quite a few people who are actually retarded who seem to congregate near my game store. Is this part of the game?

Did I miss a meeting or something?
>>
>>53048471
The thing is they get to play pretend they aren't retarded and their tard wranglers don't have to put in too much extra effort to learn 5e.
>>
Core rules only, y/n?
>>
>>53048471
>>53048490
So far I've met 4 people who were severely mentally handicapped who wanted to play d&d and they ruined each and every game they've been in.

I don't just mean socially awkward or the occasional outburst, I mean just non-stop interruptions and constant outbursts.

I mean, I know the word "retarded" gets bandied about rather casually these days, but these guys actually had a problem and did not belong at the table.
>>
>>53048540
>they aren't retarded
>tard wranglers

choose one.
>>
>>53048543
How many splats are there out now?
How much crap am I going to have to buy/memorize?
>>
>>53048588
Are you retarded? Their wranglers run the game and help
>>
>>53048570
Are you trying to play at a store, maybe in a store-organized group? Those things are used as drops by useless parents.
Get a group going with your close friends, it's the only way.
>>
>>53048609
Define splat.
There are some campaign companions with a few options and two books on FR with a few options more.
The rest would be UA, which is free.
>>
>>53048543
Meh it can be done but spellcasters will easily outshine martials without access to feats.

>>53048609
Depends if you don't care about modules then there are five in total, even then Volo's guide and SCAG are optional.
>>
>>53048672
>Get a group going with your close friends, it's the only way.
I don't have any friends, I am a political extremist.
>>
>>53048682
isn't unearthed arcana filled with the most useless busted ass shit the devs could come up with? I'd be fine with a handful of supplements, but UA is a no go for me.
>>
>>53048697
I don't see how is that relevant.
>>
>>53048724
Anon is an ass is what he's saying.
>>
>>53048543
>>53048609
I keep the PHB & SCAG at the minimum (Extra subclasses, Racial Variants, and cantrips), Volo's and EE are nice to add but not essential.
>>
>>53048717
No?
There are a lot of harmless options, two perfectly playeable classes and other than lore wizard, most can be used as long as you don't let them multiclass.
The feats are nice too.
>>
>>53048724
It basically means I know things that make it difficult for me to function in normal society.
>>
>>53048783
well, nice to see UA bucked the trend of previous editions.
>>
>>53048798
(you)
>>
>>53048672
So you are saying events are shitshows?
Is that why organizers get paid the big bucks, cause they are babysitting the mentally handicapped?
>>
>>53048798
>>53048697
That's your own fault for being a piece of shit.

>>53048717
Do you want to stop being a retard and actually read the UAs?

>>53048570
My friends and I have been around literal autists, they're assholes.
>>
>>53048783
>two perfectly playable classes
Artificer is fine but dull. It needs changes, but it works
Mystic is broken.
>>
Cause I swear to god, if people are going to use d&d to wrangle free special needs care out of gullible DM's who just wanted to show up and have a good time, I'm going to quit playing.
>>
>>53048873
>My friends and I have been around literal autists, they're assholes

Sounds like you guys are the autists.
>>
>>53048885
Gunsmith seems to lack choices in combat. More damage types?
>>
>>53048920
Did I hit a nerve, autist?
>>
>>53048914
people expect to get PAID for that shit, you know? I am not qualified to handle some spergs freakout cause I accidentally touched his ear muffs.

That shits like, 20 bucks an hour in the real world, getting 5 bucks towards a new supplement and marking off hours on my community service scoresheet isn't exactly a fair trade.
>>
How do you handle not being useful in combat? Tons of rituals and have been absurdly helpful out of combat but.
Enemies have too much HP for Sleep, Enemies always have good WIS saves so Tasha's never works, Enemies are always too spaced out for Web.

3rd level crossbow wizard reporting. +5 to hit 1d8+3 reporting double. Should I surrender and just take Scorching Ray when I hit 4th?
>>
What brought on this discussion about retards and autists? I feel like I'm missing something
>>
>>53048955
there are plenty of highly functioning people with very mild levels of autism, barely noticeable, really.

In another day and time we would have just written them off as nerds or geeks without having to add some sort of label that used to be reserved for hopeless mental cases.
>>
>>53049000
My game store is being used as a dropoff for retarded kids. Parents leave their little shitflingers there at noon and don't pick em up till happy hour is over.
>>
>>53048955
Did I?
>>
>>53046889
Blessing of the Trickster is level 1. Invoke Duplicity is at level 2 and it's not that great.

Cleric 1/wizard X will get you to more spells that help you with sneakiness than wizard 2/cleric X.
>>
>>53048885
Why this time.
>>53048944
Yesterday I sat in before my desk, opened homebrewery and stared at the page for 20 minutes trying to make a new archetype for the Artificer. I failed.
>>
>>53049021
I don't understand why we can't just leave them out in the woods.
>>
>>53048944
They have as many choices as alchemists do.
>>
>>53048984
Pick better spells

>>53049003
Thank the medical community for trying to wring every dollar they can out of parents because someone's precious kid has mental issues.
>>
>>53048984
You should gain levels. 1st and 2nd level damage spells suck. Blindness/Deafness is good for 2nd level control and maintains usefulness at later levels due to no concentration.
>>
>>53049062
bro, who cares? Your just crapping out d&d filler material. Vomit some fluff, add some numbers and collect your paycheck.
>>
>>53048984
Yes.

How is this even a question? Burning Hands, Scorching Ray, Magic Weapon - Wizards need to deal HP damage too sometimes.

Also, you've got Phantasmal Force, which targets INT.
>>
>>53049076
>has mental issues.
you mean they disagree with the party line. our society is fucked up man, it scars smart people for life.
>>
>>53049110
The goddamn gnome is a better artificer than the artificer class.

Can you guys throw me a bone what the hell would to a Tinkerer do?
>>
File: 1492119069308.jpg (41KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
1492119069308.jpg
41KB, 600x416px
>>53049113
>Mfw just remembered almost all my players used Int as a dump stat
>They are gonna fight foulspawn, Illithids and other abberations because they are part of the main story arc

Worst part is the barbarian has the highest int at 12
>>
>>53048984
Magic missile is your friend
>>
>>53049148
anyway, thats my 10 cents.

Honestly the players handbook is so simple that the game practically runs itself. I kind of like it, very simple, dumbed down mechanics but overall it feels pretty versatile.

There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot for martials to do during combat.
>>
>>53049190
The martials thing is argue almost twice a day in some form or another.
>>
>>53049190
The DMG has some things to resolve improvisation, but the player has to try.
>>
>>53049173
Ainsley pls no
>>
I think I'm going to play a figheter and go with two weapon fighting using a double throwing axe. 2 attacks at d6+Str is pretty baller and gives you something to do in melee, and if I need the AC boost I can just draw my warhammer and shield prior to attacking
>>
>>53049185
16 dex right? MM at best is 15 damage, with minimum 6. A crossbow at that is 4 to 11. is it really worth a 1st level spell slot?
>>53049113
MW might be good on the fighter, if they hit six times that's as much as a magic missile. Depends on number of combats in a day, if it follows the actual 6/8 between each long rest might actually be great. I'll consider it.
>>53049094
Constitution saves? Might as well just waste spell slots. Every monster has a +10.
>>53049076
What's the best 2nd level spell in your opinion?
>>
>>53049173
>a band of roaming retards "saving" the day
sounds amazing desu
>>
>>53049236
no no, I mean in 3.5/pf there is still plenty of shit for martials to DO, even if most of it is crap. What I'm saying is that there aren't a whole lot of attack options.
>>
>>53049278
It's not the most optimal build, but go for it and have fun.

>>53049303
>I mean in 3.5/pf there is still plenty of shit
quite.
>>
File: lol badass xd.png (364KB, 800x646px) Image search: [Google]
lol badass xd.png
364KB, 800x646px
I'm going to play the good old Rogue (Thief) + Healer feat. We're starting LV1, I'm going human variant and my DM already agrees that I can sacrifice some of the starting equipment to grab a healer's kit from start.

Background-wise I'm thinking either a veteran medic with a crossbow, or some kind of Plague Doctor straight from Darkest Dungeon.

Any tips?
>>
>>53049278
I know I'm arguing semantics, but can you draw a weapon with both hands? When you get an extra attack from a martial class while dual wielding, do you get 3 attacks or 4?
>>
>>53049317
I really like the flavor of throwing pairs of hand axes. It just seems like something a kickass dwarf would do.
>>
any advice for first time DMing for first time players?
>>
File: Silence.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Silence.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
I'm planning an ambush against my PCs, and thanks to a suggestion from last thread, I decided to have a shadow monk type NPC as part of the ambush to cast Pass Without Trace and ensure surprise.

I'm here thinking on how to build this NPC, so I go check the archetype to pluck the features I'd like him to have, and I realize they can also cast Silence. Now, part of the initial plan in the ambush was to have a strong gladiator who would push the party's wizard into a chest and lock him there. I realized they could be even more clever and have the monk drop Silence on top of the chest, effectively removing most of their options.

Am I going too far with this?

I went through his spell list and realized his only prepared spell without Verbal components is Counterspell. Sheesh.
>>
>>53049366
Use a module.
>>
>>53049320
Couldn't you use starting gold plus background to get a healer's kit to start with without sacrificing initial equipment load out?
>>
>>53049262
How was I supposed to guess that everyone would make wise but stupid? It's too late now because I took the time to convert them from 4e to 5e so it's happening.
>>
>>53049378
Basically he offered to give me a healer's kit instead of 2 daggers. It's minor, but pretty nice of him.
>>
>>53049334
>>53049352
also, do sorcerers have to prepare spells like wizards now? I kept trying to skim the class description but couldn't figure out if they still have spontaneous casting.
>>
Is there an option to take the average instead of rolling for gold?
>>
>>53049454
No, it's still spontaneous.
>>
>>53049352
Good news handaxes still have the thrown property so you can do that.

>>53049291
Hold person, shatter, scorching ray or invisibility. If your playing a low magic item campaign then magic weapon isn't terrible to help the martials.
>>
>>53049470
Ask your DM
>>
>>53049291
Magic missile always hits. Its there for when you don't want to use a cantrip/crossbow because you need it to hit, or break someones concentration. I find when I get to higher levels, my level 1 and 2 slots are normally used for magic missile or defensive spells
>>
>>53049526
>magic weapon isn't terrible to help the martials.
yeah, but there is always that feeling if you didn't make it by exactly the amount of the bonus that you wasted your spell, even though, statistically speaking, it ain't so.
>>
Is it a bad idea to take Linguist as my level 1 human feat for flavor even though I'm a Human Archer?
>>
>>53049334
anybody have a ruling on this?
Sorry, still kind of pumped cause I downloaded and added a bunch of stuff to my cloud server and actually got something done today
>>
>>53049638
It's not just about the bonus it's about overcoming resistances, again this is if your DM is stingy on magic weapons.
>>
>>53049689
I spent my feat on *FLAVOR*
>>
>>53049689
Yes.
But I've done similar.
>>
>>53049374
Casters are given free reign in as many D&D games as they are because the tools for hamstringing them (Silence, Anti-Magic Field) are so rare and do not fit in the wide variety of situations that "DOES A SHITLOAD OF DAMAGE" or "IS RESISTANT TO PHYSICAL" does.

So yeah, do put the fear of God into your caster from time to time.
>>
>>53049334
>>53049698

You get three attacks
>>
>>53049334
>can you draw a weapon with both hands
If you mean "Each hand draws a different weapon" then nope. That requires the Dual-Wielder feat.

>When you get an extra attack from a martial class while dual wielding, do you get 3 attacks or 4
Nope, dual-wielding sucks giant dick in this edition.
>>
>>53049334
>When you get an extra attack from a martial class while dual wielding, do you get 3 attacks or 4?
gets 2 attacks per action, 1 attack per bonus action.

>>53049454
>do sorcerers have to prepare spells like wizards now?
no. they are known caster, you learn spells on leveling and have them all with you at all times.
>>
>>53049689
It's fine if you want 5+ languages
>>
>>53049698
Your off-hand attack is made with a bonus action, not as part of the "Attack" action. Therefore it does not benefit from Extra Attack.
As far as drawing weapons, you can only draw one at a time, unless you have the Dual Wielder feat or whatever it's called.
>>
>>53049725
>>53049734
>>53049775
My character was a Scholar.

I'm also using a Shortbow even though Longow is better in every way.
>>
>>53049757
>Nope, dual-wielding sucks giant dick in this edition.
How do you figure?

There is no attack penalty and you can use your strength bonus on ranged weapons
>>
>>53049725
>Feats
>Flavor
Pick one and only one.

>>53049689
But seriously, it depends on the campaign and the DM. Talk to your DM and ask how useful languages are going to be in his game.

>>53049757
You realize dual-wielding is better than in 3rd edition because of the removal of Full Attack actions, right?
>>
File: Extra Attacks.png (126KB, 1054x258px) Image search: [Google]
Extra Attacks.png
126KB, 1054x258px
>>53049698
>Can you draw a weapon with both hands.
Yes
>When Dual wielding do you get 3 attacks or 4
When you have extra attack you use your action to attack multiple times as an action. Dual wielding has nothing to do with that, you may use your bonus action to attack one extra time with your second weapon.

One thing a lot of people forget about TWF is that you can use the second weapon in your hand as a part of your extra attack.

EX) I am a level 5 fighter I have extra attack and i have a shortsword and dagger.

First attack I attack with my shortsword second attack I attack with my dagger. As a bonus action, I attack with any of my dagger/shortsword.
>>
>>53049801
Scholar fighters are the best characters. My players love them and there's one or two in every single campaign.

>>53049848
People do tend to forget this but mostly because it's so rarely useful. Unless in a campaign with lots of magic items, there's almost never any point to attacking with your off-hand compared to your main hand.
>>
>>53049807
If you do the numbers then it has literally no redeming factors after you get your first feat or your extra attack. Two-Handers, Polearms and Archery all win at damage and Shields are better for defence and giving advantage. Seriously it's awful.

>>53049838
Never played 3e but I guess it wasn't great then either.
>>
>>53049892
>Its rarely useful

You are correct, but it may come into play for this person, so it's important to bring it up.
>>
>>53049848
so if I have Dual Wielder feat, two readied axes, and a bonus attack, I can throw both my axes, draw two more as a free action, then throw a third with my bonus action?
>>
I guess what I'm saying is, can I throw 3 axes per turn?
>>
>>53050002
Yes but only on one turn, if you have the right feat, with a range of 20ft and it'll do shit damage. Seriously at that point you might as well just walk up to him with two battleaxes.

I'm sorry to tell you but throwing weapons and dual-wielding are both bad this edition. Throwing weapons are my favorite but they're near useless now.
>>
>>53050002
Like if I had two extra attacks, was dual wielding, had quick draw or whatever its called, could I throw 4 per turn or would it be more like 4 one turn and 2 the next?
>>
>>53049986
yes.
>>
>>53049735
Thanks anon. I'm just afraid of coming off as an asshole DM because this encounter will probably be frustrating for the party. I need some reassurance that I'm not a jerk for putting them through this.
>>
>>53050057
ahhh, I'd probably throw 4, then draw a shield and a d8 clanger and engage in melee next turn anyway.
>>
>>53049986
>>53050057
If you started your turn with both of your Hand axes in your hand you can throw both of them as your action then draw two more and throw a third yes.

If you did not start your turn with at least ONE hand axe in your hand you cannot throw 3 because you used your item interaction (Free actions are not a thing in this game) to draw two.
>>
>>53050102
dude, reading comprehension
>>
>>53049374
Make sure they have no familiar that could be outside the box, as if they are even in the box, depending on init if they are staring through the familiars eyes they'd be able to counter spell the silence being cast since they could see it. (Gladiator -> Them -> Monk init for example)

If you really want to take them out, just have a max initiative antimagic field dropped on them while they're grappled or something. AKA DM fiat.
>>
>>53049689
>>53049801
Go revised ranger too. Get 9 languages
>>
>>53050120
ayy, and what a cunning linguist he'll be
>>
>>53050097
The fact that this whole trick requires a feat is bigger then you think. Most characters only have room for 1-3 feats over 20 levels and they're a variant rule anyway.

If you are putting a whole feat into just throwing weapons it isn't worth it. Just pull out a Javelin lob it then run in with a shield.

Also shields take a whole action to equip.
>>
>>53050115
Sorry, anon I type quickly without much care. If you want this to work keep at least 1 handaxe and you will be fine.
>>
>>53045355
>>
>>53049903
>Dual-wielding sucks giant dick in this edition
>In this edition
What the fuck are you comparing it to? 4e didn't even have dual-wielding rules.

>>53049986
Technically I believe the draw is your one free item interaction, but yeah, basically.
>>
File: ive had enough.png (768KB, 586x795px) Image search: [Google]
ive had enough.png
768KB, 586x795px
>Be 5e player
>My DM starts ranting about how he hates the advantage system
>And the fact that casters have to deal with concentration
>And how 3.5 core was perfectly fine
>He's known for fixing things he doesn't like with homebrew
>mfw
>>
>>53045509
And then the players murderhobo them.
>>
>>53050192
death is the only escape, either yours or his.
>>
>>53050083
Some players will get frustrated, because they view anything that stops them from casting as invalidating their purpose in the party. Oddly, you never see ranged attackers bitch if they're forced into melee or something is behind a wind wall, or melee fighters whine when the creature is flying or resistant to their damage type.

Silence is fairly nice to PC casters, all things considered. They can just walk out of it, and it doesn't disable any of their effects or even block all spellcasting. It's another matter if the enemy is trying to keep the caster in it, but that's just good tactics you would expect of intelligent humanoids (particularly those of standard, "civilized" races) who are either part of a special team or are knowledgeable of the party's capability. "Geeking the mage" is a time-honored tactic in D&D, and this is still a lot more polite than five guys popping out of a bush and filling the caster with arrows.

Some other things I've done in my games are conditions which prevent casting for a single round only (like when a martial gets disarmed), or limits casting to just cantrips until the effect is saved against. I've also had variable magic suppression fields (some stationary, some generated by objects or NPCs) which prevented casting of anything higher than X spell level. Some of them allowed an Arcana check to cast a spell of the suppressed level (so if it "blocks 2 or higher", you could check to cast 2, but not 3) with the caveat that if you fuck up the slot is lost. Those are pretty nice, because the caster can still do his class thing, just not to full efficacy.
>>
>>53050189
You know there were other editions before 4e, right?
>>
>>53050189
Pathfinder had tedious dual-wielding rules, but they at least worked out well when you could get them to work. In 5e it's easier to do, but it sucks in comparison to every other option in the game.
>>
>>53050192
Break his game and then quit, it's the only way
>>
>>53050236
There was even a 0e.
>>
TWF is fine as long as you ban sharpshooter, GWM, PAM and crossbow expert like a sane GM
>>
>>53050236
Yeah, but then you might be the first person I've met to skip from 2e to 5e. Most people I know have played at least one edition in-between. (I played every edition for a while, FWIW.)

>>53050252
In Pathfinder, like in 3e, they were useful if (and only if) you could make a Full Attack. In practice, that didn't happen nearly as often as you'd like.
>>
>>53050252
Dual wielding is fine if you don't try to shoehorn it into every class, like unarmed combat.
>>
>>53050234
>Oddly, you never see ranged attackers bitch if they're forced into melee or something is behind a wind wall, or melee fighters whine when the creature is flying or resistant to their damage type.
...You know, I had a player throw such a hissy fit at the though of having to fight a beholder and this just reminds me how pissed off it made me.

When the encounter came, they trounced it because I let the whining get to me and I gave it too few minions.
>>
>>53049892
>>53050120
I'm actually playing an Arcane Archer. I was going to be an Eladrin for the once per rest Misty Step but I'm not sure it's worth being an Elf.

My DM did say we could use Dragonmarks but that they have a different meaning in his setting. I might look at those.

>>53050289
>but then you might be the first person I've met to skip from 2e to 5e

Not hima but I never played 3e-4e. Didn't have the money for 3e-3.5e as a teenager and 4e looked like shit.
>>
>>53050289
I've only ever played 5e, visited the pfg once and never went back.
>>
>>53050280
TWF is fine as long as youstop worrying about muh dps and have fun
but that's heresy
>>
>>53050339
>
I'm actually playing an Arcane Archer. I was going to be an Eladrin for the once per rest Misty Step but I'm not sure it's worth being an Elf.
...Are you me?
>>
>>53050360
>...Are you me?
yes.
>>
>>53050360
Huh, I guess it's not that unlikely though. Misty Step is an awesome racial, the fluff fits them and everyone fucking hates Elves.

So I'm thinking either Human or Dwarf just to mix shit up.
>>
>>53050407
Mind you the game I'm in is pretty high level so I was thinking of being a filthy multi-class.

AA + Fey Warlock, Darkness + Devil's Sight to be a Sharpshooter machine.

But yeah I needed a reason not to have already intervened in a world-altering affair so Eladrin seemed to fit the bill even though I don't usually go fort elves.
>>
>>53050183
Did that dude just become a she-dude?
>>
>>53050624
I don't even care what's going on in that video, "she-dude" is my new favorite term.
>>
>>53050624
It's anime of course he fucking did.
>>
>>53049165
I dunno about tinkerer, but what about a trapper. Base size, base damage, DC is 8+int+prof. Give it a pool of resources, spend those resources to make the trap be bigger, do more damage, add magical effects. Every few levels add like four options to pick from. Ribbons for dungeoneering stuff.

Alchemists get expertise, right? New meta, set up a trap, expertise in grappling, drag creatures into your traps.
>>
>>53049024
Stop being autistic.
>>
>>53050624
Just a she.
You are thinking of Shezow.
>>
When it comes to the TWF debate, isn't each weapon style made for a different focus? Two-handed and ranged for BIG DEEPS, sword&board for a bit more tankiness, and TWF for a midpoint between the other two?
>>
>>53050674
Only when you do.
>>
>>53050743
TWF's only focus is "I'm a Rogue and I need more attempts to land my Sneak Attack".
>>
File: 1493576755045.png (124KB, 327x327px) Image search: [Google]
1493576755045.png
124KB, 327x327px
>Give party an oathbow
>The rogue uses it
>Declares sworn enemy
>Advantage and sneak attack within 600 ft.
>>
>>53050828
>Bards have the same HP as Rogues, massive casting capability, are nearly as good at skillmonkeying or arguably better in some cases, and have an archetype that gives Extra Attack
>all Rogues can do is stab and their only source of two attacks per round is TWF
there is no justice in this world
god has abandoned us
>>
File: InvisibleBlade.jpg (95KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
InvisibleBlade.jpg
95KB, 400x300px
So, I would like to make an invisible blade-style character (the 3.5 PrC). I'm not sure how to go about it. I was torn between some kind of rogue or fighter or maybe ranger. Any thoughts?
>>
>>53050905
>Assassin rogue can insta-kill any class it rolls higher init on the first turn.

They have that at least. (though if they miss gg I guess)
>>
>DM asks us to give him the occupation and major goal of our characters
>I bring a petty cutpurse who is, long term, looking to restore her sister's emotions
>Somebody else brings a character whose occupation is "looking for rumors" and major goal is looking to take over the world

Two kinds of players, I guess.
>>
>>53050743
>a midpoint between the two

You'd think, but 4 extra damage from Dueling, plus being able to use d8 weapons instead of d6 weapons (another 2 damage) means that the average 8.5 damage you get from the offhand attack is only 2.5 higher than a Dueler, and falls behind entirely if it's a Fighter level 11+. If you have the Two Weapon Master feat, you can use d8'ers, but the duelist can take an feat like Shield Master and get more use out of his bonus action than you do, and it still falls behind at Fighter 11.

Hunter's Mark may let it pull ahead for a ranger a little bit, since it makes you do 6 more damage / round than a Dueler, 9 with TWM, but again, they can get a feat too, and advantage in attacks from a successful shield Shove may outweigh your offhand attack.
>>
>>53050976
Go back to 3.5
>>
>>53050976
What exactly does it do? I'm not well-versed in 3.5.
>>
>>53050976
>int goes to ac
>damage over time (booming blade)
Bladesinger, maybe. Or arcane thief could get booming blade, maybe mage armor? Don't remember for sure. Something like feinting would be something like using your action to make a deception check, and getting advantage on your next attack, but that specifically would be something you'd discuss with your DM. The rules leave it open that you definitely should be able to do things like that, but unless it's in the book a lot of people are hesitant to try it. Otherwise take the maneuvers feat and get the actual maneuver called feinting.
>>
>>53051135

Specializes in using daggers or small blades, to deliver sneak attacks. Also gets an AC bonus, a bleed and feinting to deliver sneak attacks.
>>
File: rogue2.jpg (47KB, 736x981px)
rogue2.jpg
47KB, 736x981px
>>53050905
Yes, but rogues have cunning action, uncanny dodge, evasion, reliable talent, and an extra asi.
Cunning action and reliable talent by themselves are extremely good.
Plus, the archetype that gives bard extra attack doesn't really compare to sneak attack, since sneak attack would outscale the bard's damage (assuming they're not using GWM/SS or some shit) and has the effect of only needing to hit once to apply most of their damage.
While the bard probably has various spells they can use to replicate the rogue's features, keep in mind the rogue is an almost completely at-will class. Having abilities that aren't tied to a resource is a massive game changer.
>>
>>53051003
You're the better kind. Obviously you knew that already, but I'm okay with compliment-fishing today.

>>53051099
>d8 weapons instead of d6 weapons (another 2 damage)
Surely you mean another 1 damage, unless I misunderstood you.
>>
>>53051285
>Having abilities that aren't tied to a resource is a massive game changer.
The average "adventuring day" is nothing like what is described in the books or thought of by the developers. This isn't really a concern.
>>
>>53051285
>Having abilities that aren't tied to a resource is a massive game changer.
I keep trying to explain to people that warlocks are magical rogues, tackling problems with a limited but diverse and reliable skill set, and not shooty, restricted wizards. They never listen.
>>
>>53051346
Do people even follow their 'average adventuring day' in the Adventurer's League?
>>
>>53051318
Thanks. I only posted because I was frustrated about possibly wasting a decent character concept on a campaign that might go to shit because of Murder McHobopants

I appreciate the validation.
>>
>Ran Death House last session
>Ended with a total party kill
>Party is furious
>Promised them a chance to redo the fight next session
>They're still whining about CoS being overly hard and demanding
DMing is pain
>>
>>53051444
>wasting a decent character concept on a campaign that might go to shit because of Murder McHobopants
Story of my life. And that's when I get the rare break from foreverDMing.
Feelsbadman.fileextension
>>
I'm working on revamping a murder mystery I wrote years ago when I first started playing and DMing. Anyone have links to any decent murder mysteries (any edition) that can serve as good examples on how to format the campaign for future community sharing?
>>
>>53051268
Sounds like a Swashbuckler would be what you're looking for... The other option is any Rogue really.

You could do Fighter 1/Rogue X for shield proficiency, take Expertise in Athletics and get the Shield Master feat. Refluff the shove from Shield Master as something else and use it to get Advantage for Sneak Attacks.

>>53051490
Play Bunnies and Burrows with them instead.
>>
>>53051527
Not that anon, but invisible blades explicitly dual-wield, always. Daggers and kukris.
5e doesn't really support it because of the "1 sneak attack per turn" thing.
>>
>>53051490
>people die
>in the death house

Really gets those wheels a-turnin'
>>
>>53050192
For 5e I do like some homebrew.

I go for injury tables based on damage type and amount of damage balanced by armour giving damage reduction (to certain types of damage) equal to its AC bonus in addition to its AC bonus.

Also less math carry weight and more complicated exhaustion.
>>
>>53051570
Well, a Fighter 2/Rogue 1 could use action surge and ready to do 2 sneak attacks.

I guess just dual wield daggers as a fighter/rogue and play as a slightly tankier rogue who can go super sneak attack with both knives once per rest.
>>
>>53050876
get them to fight in tunnels and forests and urban areas with short sightlines forever
>>
>>53051490
Look them dead in the eye and say "treat this like Dark Souls and git gud."
>>
I'm thinking of taking the Brawny feat on my Human Monk just for the Athletics expertise. It seems like being able to spam prone a lot of times per round pretty reliably could be handy on a Monk.

I mean between 12 STR and +4 Proficiency at level 1 I'd have a decent chance of it right? Also can I shove with my normal attack and then use my Martial Arts attack?
>>
File: Ah there he is.jpg (40KB, 717x638px) Image search: [Google]
Ah there he is.jpg
40KB, 717x638px
>>53051615
>I go for injury tables based on damage type and amount of damage balanced by armour giving damage reduction (to certain types of damage) equal to its AC bonus in addition to its AC bonus.
You disgust me
>>
>>53051490
shit is called DEATH house for a reason.

Group I ran for got all the way to the boss no prob, killed him with superior tactics went upstairs, absolutely lost their shit, panicked, and died..
>>
>>53051430
Nah warlocks are just badly designed.
>>
>>53051881
I don't remember exactly what happened to my party but I think it was similar to this. I know they got to the end and somehow butchered the Shambling Mound.

Then when they go upstairs the house starts doing spooky shit right? I think the rest of my party all died but I smashed through a wall or a window or something with a Sledgehammer and jumped from the top floor. Survived with like 2HP.
>>
>>53051930
shit man, for a minute there i thought you were one of my players. Right up until >Survived with like 2HP.
>>
>>53051790
There's nothing immediately wrong with wound charts if they're done properly, though I don't like damage reduction based on AC bonus, as that's just way too much.
>>
>>53051945
So I'm not the only one who decided to smash a hole through the house? I just realised the rest of the place will probably get worse the closer to the door you would get.

The rest of my party ran ahead while I worked at it and they died but yeah, turns out the death house isn't immune to good old fashioned Barbarian with a hammer.
>>
I'm just about to join a 5E game. What should I do to make everyone else at the table FEEL BAD for playing 5E?
>>
>>53052042
twincast horse bard
>>
>>53052000
my player didn't try to smash his way outside, only to smash his way out of the room he was in
boy did the swarm of rats coming out of the wall cause his butthole to tighten
>>
>>53052042
Act natural.
They will lament being there.
>>
>>53052042
just be yourself. they'll surely hate the experience
>>
>>53052042
I'm sure you joining will be enough.
>>
>>53052042
Just REEE at the first sign of 5e's superiority and they should feel pretty bad about your autism.
>>
>>53051490

My party ran into the Hags. The warlock rolled a 20 on a deception and fooled the hags into thinking it the windmill was actually his house, and that they owed back rental fees.
>>
>>53052156
Was his Charisma 30 or something or is this Critical Success bullshit?
>>
>>53052156
Variant: Critical checks or DC 20 or less?
>>
>>53052156
this story better end with the hags taking him into the backroom for payment, then when they are alone, ripping him to absolute shreds.
>>
>>53051346
Then your GM is doing it wrong. IF limited slots aren't something players have to husband carefully, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>53051242

So, maybe Arcane Trickster splashed with Battle Master? Or maybe the other way around?
>>
>>53052196

It ended with him dying, yeah.
>>
>>53052221
then all is right in the world.
>>
Hello,

Thinking about adding a lost language to my world to leave clues and puzzles around for the party to solve. Could use it as a means of railroading a little, and give them something to work on under some ticking clock scenarios. Looks like tongues only effects spoken language so that shouldn't get in the way.

So, how does one go about learning a language they've never seen or heard before without being taught?
>>
>>53052261

Perhaps it has ties to a language still in use in the present era, or context clues from other signs of the civilization. You might look into how archaeologists deciphered ancient Maya.
>>
>>53052261
>Comprehend Languages
Is a ritual, so just make sure to have one ritual caster in the party.
>>
>>53052061

Go on...
>>
File: Rosetta_Stone.jpg (7MB, 3665x4288px)
Rosetta_Stone.jpg
7MB, 3665x4288px
>>53052261
>>
>>53052296
>minute per page

I guess that's not so bad. Magic always seems like cheating a little, but I guess I shouldn't stifle that sort of thing.
>>
>>53052323
>heavy object to lug around
Good idea, that will get the fighter involved in the plot.
>>
>>53045417
I made a feat for this:

Fell Handed
You can gain the following benefits:
-When you use a weapon with no weapon properties, add 1d4 bonus damage to the attack.
-Whenever you have advantage on a melee attack roll you make with a property-less weapon and hit, you can knock the target prone with both d20 rolls would have hit the target.
-Whenever you have disadvantage on a melee attack roll you make with a property-less weapon and miss, the target takes takes damage equal to any numerical bonus added to the attack damage if either d20 rolls would have hit the target.
-As a bonus action, you ignore any bonus to armor class due to shields or cover less than total cover with property-less weapons.
>>
If a Shadow Monk is grappling someone and they use their teleport can they bring that person with them?
>>
>>53052320
It doesn't actually work for anything useful.
>>
>>53052440
It only works for cones, doesn't it? And you go lore bard to get around needing to take levels in Paladin?
>>
>>53052472
It works for spells with a range of self, I believe.
>>
File: Fell Handed feat.png (33KB, 557x354px) Image search: [Google]
Fell Handed feat.png
33KB, 557x354px
>>53052414
You might want to rename that.
>>
>>53052414
So you took the defult Fell Handed feat, added more damage for certain weapons, made the help thing only work on yourself and didn't even change the name to make it make sense? Also why don't you just say it only works with Maces, Flails, Morning Stars and War Picks?

>>53045417
Wield a Maul and call it a two-handed Flail. Very few things need a new rule in 5e when you can just refluff shit.
>>
>>53052495
Why? It's just a homebrew based on that UA feat.
>>
>>53052320
It's a dumb meme that doesn't work RAW or RAI. Ignore bardic horsecasting posters.
>>
>>53052418
No
>>
>>53050976
Multiclass, my nigga.

Assassin for sneak attack, poison use (bleeds)
Battlemaster fighter for feints
Bladesinger wiz for INT bonus to AC
>>
>>53052513
Assassin gets zero benefit over other people with poison though. All they get is proficiency if you didn't already have it.

Wouldn't Thief for midcombat poisons make more sense?
>>
>>53052505
If most homebrew is hot garbage, that feat is a dumpster fire's worth of trash.
>>
>>53048446
1800 184 527
>>
>>53052505
Yes, I have a basic feat for all the weapon properties. This one increases damage and knocks people over - literally both fit the definition of fell.

And the final part of the UA feat is more situational - especially since as DM my humanoid enemies like cover and shields.
>>
Coolest weapon for a Kensai? Heavy refluffing into something exotic is encouraged.

Also am I the only person who loves Monks but hates anime? I'm thinking of Bruce Lee when I'm playing Monks.
>>
>>53052598
There were Christian monks/friars so you can in fact have them fully Medieval.

I think literally everyone forgets that though.
>>
>>53052598
Also Jackie Chan.
>>
>>53052586
I personally feel like the normal Fell Handed feat is hilariously OP as it is. Like seriously have you seen a Barbarian using that thing?

Also my biggest issue with yours is now you're dealing an average damage equal to a Greatsword but still get a Shield, they do get GWM to boost their damage but that still doesn't sit right.

Also I'm still caught up on the shit a Barbarian can do with that.
>>
>>53052598
Monks are chinks not japs
>>
>>53052642
I love playing them like that, something about being the older, overwieght guy who can do 6 backflips and kick someone in the jaw with the power of inner peace is fun.

>>53052645
As a kid I watched Jackie Chan all the fucking time. He was awesome.

>>53052649
Still the classes abilities attract people who are into jap shit. I mean each to his own but I don't really get it.
>>
>>53052647
Getting greatsword damage as the cost of a feat is not gamebreaking.

Knocking things over is only extremely powerful if you can kill their movement speed - so it allows the already strong barbarian shove/grapple to deal some extra damage on top of it.

I also tinker with monsters to keep up with the party, it's why my group is satisfied they earn their wins which is literally all I care about.
>>
File: iweyxjoeywry.png (578KB, 954x1431px) Image search: [Google]
iweyxjoeywry.png
578KB, 954x1431px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REXWH712L7k

>When the monk hits level 20
>>
Ok, I'll try to make a Sapper archetype for the Artificer, Ideas?
>>
>>53052721
If it works for your group it's fine, everyone has their own fun and that's what matters.

Personally I wouldn't allow it for a few reasons but I've got my own fixes in place for weapon damage and they do involve changing GWM and SS to take away the Power Attack but giving weapons a flat damage bonus equal to proficiency (Monks have a slower scaling on their Unarmed damage because they became retardedly powerful). So far it's made Dual-Wielding do slightly more damage then Two-Handers but only when they use their bonus action, which seems fair.

When it comes down to it, as long as it works for your group.
>>
>>53052776

nothing but hand grenades.
>>
>>53052769
Anyone who doesn't have an eastern land full of nothing but Monks for powerful warriors isn't doing world building right.
>>
File: 1365902342782.png (55KB, 455x451px) Image search: [Google]
1365902342782.png
55KB, 455x451px
>originally wanted to play a lowly member of a religious organization
>DM is slowly but surely pushing me into "The Chosen One" role
>rest of my party are a bunch of no name shitters

I asked him to help me with my background and it just kind of evolved as the campaign went on. I don't want the rest of my party to feel lame or unempowered, but at the same time I'm enjoying being cool to much to stop.
>>
>>53052692
I had a patrician-tier dm who both allowed me to use improvised weapons as monk weapons and made sure to have a lot of props and shit lying around when we'd fight.
>>
>>53045815
>lore wizard.
>go to major city.
>cast divine word.
>extend range to one mile.
oppenheimer has nothing on me!
>>
>>53052871
Did you ever smash a man through every single rung on a ladder?
>>
>>53050828
Vengeance Paladin can TWF to smite some more with Hunter's Mark. Melee Rangers do it to add another Hunter's Mark as well.
>>
>>53052795
I have other damage boosting feats as well, but dealing too much damage is just not a concern of mine because it means I can push my players harder on the tactics side and it forces me to be creative. I get that a lot of people like the pace of combat as is, but I like peeling HP away a lot faster.

To me the game is better the way I play where players don't go unconscious at 0HP but receive an injury (and status effect) instead. My NPCs are either brought to 0 with injury or killed by the player's choice.

I only even posted what I did just to say how I made other weapon groups more interesting. I have a loading weapon feat that pools damage into a single shot and makes it easier to get advantage, I have a throwing weapon feat that imposes disadvantages to flying creatures and creature's attacks, a finesse feat that is a slight bump to normal defensive duelist, a versatile feat that give opportunity attacks a bump, I have Tavern Brawler turn your fists into light weapons, I have shield master treat shields as weapons, etc. I let players retrain in downtime, and give them downtime to do it as their battlefields change themes. I see a lot more variety of weapons being used, and it feels better even if it's not well designed.
>>
>>53051619
Sneak Attack is once per turn.
>>
>>53050141
>feats are a variant rule

How often does a variant rule have to be used before it's considered standard?

Anybody who doesn't use feats is a fucking anomaly.
>>
>>53052945
He's talking about using a Ready action to attack outside your turn, but it'd be easier to just use an Attack of Opportunity instead.
>>
>>53052945
Action Surge, use your action to ready an attack as soon as your turn ends and then sneak attack next turn. It also works if you're hasted but Action Surge is the quickest way to get it on a character.

Now I miss my Tunnel Fighter Fighter 2/Rogue X. He was fun.
>>
>>53051514
My Divination Wizard casts Detect Thoughts while a charisma character interrogates folks with persuade, deception and intimidate. Who is the murderer?

My Divination Wizard casts Locate Object to find the mcguffin, where is it? I also cast Locate Object to find the nearest amulet of proof against scrying and detection, because why not?

Charm Person on anyone who gets tagged with Detect Thoughts.

These are the sort of shenanigans to expect when mysteries and D&D collide.
>>
File: 1492829312656.jpg (77KB, 741x1200px)
1492829312656.jpg
77KB, 741x1200px
Does anyone have experience using GOO warlock's Create Thrall?

I plan on using it + Disguise Self to get close to a King and basically Theoden him.

How should I go about doing it? Obviously I'm worried about some sort of Detect Magic revealing my influence over him, so I want some method that would allow me to cast Nystul's Magic Aura enough times that it becomes permanent.
>>
>>53052953
What's stupider is because WotC see it as a "variant" they balanced the game around not having feats.
>>
>>53051490
Have your worthless bitching whiners wake up buried in shallow graves. They are now in Ravenloft.
>>
Pretend I'm an idiot and explain why GWM, PAM, and Crossbow Expert are so good.
>>
how do i make an interesting campaign based of a lich? i know it's supposed to be one of the most common things to do, but all of the (albeit few) examples i have seen have been boring undead attacks, party fights back, counter attack, dungeon crawl in tomb, bossfight, destroy phylactory, win

any examples of clever spins to shape a campaign around?
>>
>>53050905
Crossbow Expert also gives Rogues two attacks.
>>
>>53050116

The monk is hidden and can ready silence as a reaction. Let them keep their familiar so they can do SOMETHING in the fight, even if it's pretty weak.
>>
>>53052881
I once rode an orc down a ladder through every rung, and did once "grapple" two bandits with a ladder.

There was a shit ton of flower pot flinging and chair kicking in the game.
>>
>>53053031
+10 damage on every hit.

An extra attack that is literally better then Dual-Wielding in every way.

An extra attack that works with Sharpshooter and gives you more then +10 damage on each hit.
>>
>>53053035
Thirl Feodal was born in a time of chaos and hardship for the race of man. A time when dragons ran rampant, elves marched hell-bent on conquest and dwarves sought the crumbling of the world above.

Man caught in the middle of these elder races fighting for supremecy was nearly wiped out. Thirl, being a naturally gifted mage sought an answer to the problem he saw of man seeming to be the lesser of all the races. Using his magic he gathered around him a base of human support to hide and protect his research into the creation of what he would call The Neguecis Spell. A spell whose sole purpose was to propel man to the top of the races by distilling the very best essence of each race and gifting them to man while keeping them as pure as possible.

As the years dragged on and the world settled into peace Thirl would not be deterred from his work to assure man's dominance no matter the cost. Feeling his age he gathered the last of his supporters and conducted a ritual turning himself into a lich to continue his research indefinitely.

Wether his mad quest was ever completed no one living knows, but there are rumours of his supposed island laboratory still giving off columns of smoke here and there, and ships in the area disappearing without a trace.

Already got your lich made
>>
>>53052875
You have to be able to see them.

Also, cleric 1/wizard X strikes again .
>>
File: 1454684857895.jpg (97KB, 437x700px)
1454684857895.jpg
97KB, 437x700px
>>53045242
Spellcasters have a, generally speaking, unified mechanic (spells) a division of what class can do what (spell lists) and a moderate variety of means to use said spells (daily spell slots, short rest spell slots, sorcery points, and so forth). This gives them a powerful resource with limitations on use and restrictions on certain options that make each class feel distinct while operating on similar means.

What if non-casters had a similar unified mechanic with divisions on what class can do what and a variety in the means in which they were executed? No, I'm not advocating we go all "Book of Nine Swords" on the game, but hear me out.

1) Every non-casting class gets a pool of points. Let's call it Stamina. This represents their reserves of non-magic prowess and ability the same way spell slots or sorcery points represent magical reserves of power. Let's call these classes 'Stamina users'.

2) Every Stamina User has access to a discrete number of options based on their class and, perhaps, other factors like Proficiency. These options are combat, exploration, and/or social abilities. Not all of them need to consume Stamina to use, some might be passive instead. For example, a Barbarian might gain access to brutal combat maneuvers that focus on dealing and tanking damage, a character proficient in Intimidate might gain access to one or more powers that revolve around browbeating foes or motivating allies like a slave-driver.

3) Every Stamina User gains or expends Stamina in a different way. Barbarians might gain Stamina when they enter a Rage or spend hit dice. Rogues may gain Stamina when they land a Sneak Attack or move. Fighters may gain it when they use Second Wind or Action Surge. Monks may just use it and Ki interchangeably, or have more in total. These are just suggestions of course.

This is probably just crazy and off-topic but I'd love to see this work.
>>
>>53053025
Make sure to regularly hint at the possibility that they might have really died in the Death Housee and Ravenloft is a horrible afterlife of eternal murderhoboing for murderhobos.
>>
>>53053067
What's a mystic?
Also, sounds like LoL.
>>
>>53052953
I don't like feats. They would be better tied to equipment choice or built in.

The desire for feats just locks rules behind an artificial barrier and if you balance around feats that include damage boosting and silly nonsense you end up with random difficulty spikes in your CR system.
>>
>>53053014
If only they were better at balancing, since it takes feats to have martial be as viable as casters, and even then, castercucks find the notion tenuous at best.
>>
>>53053035

Looks like >>53053059 has got the Final Solution to your conundrum.
>>
File: REEEEEEEE.jpg (457KB, 1500x1604px) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEEE.jpg
457KB, 1500x1604px
>>53053059
>Thirl Feodal
>>
File: 1298398936972.jpg (90KB, 432x585px) Image search: [Google]
1298398936972.jpg
90KB, 432x585px
>>53053105
I don't care if it will be wonky he's going in one of my campaigns
>>
>>53053059
thank you, cool stuff, but not quite what i meant. i wanted stuff for the PC's to be doing in such a campaign, since it pretty much always is just "fight a bunch of nameless undead and then do a long and hard dungeon crawl"
>>
Just want to know before we fight it next session, can Shambling Mounds be knocked prone?
>>
>>53053146
Read the MM.
>>
What if TWF didn't cost a bonus action?
>>
>>53053136
Gives you a premise and a reason for them to do it. Sure they'll fight undead but obviously there will be cultists and other magicians after such research either to use it or destroy it.

They have to travel all over to find information on how to actually get there since the location is hard to find, either through moving or some kind of defense, and of course they'll run into other things that might be trying to help such a leader.

Think of it like a secret bunker that is very hard to find and they need to wuest to piece everything together.
>>
>>53053171
I don't want to be that guy, I just want to know if it's worth trying.
>>
>>53053171
But that's cheating!
>>
>>53052511
Fine then, what's the gayest shit I can do in 5E shy of actually sucking off the GM?
>>
File: the_lich_by_thornspine-d9jgqk4.jpg (183KB, 769x1038px) Image search: [Google]
the_lich_by_thornspine-d9jgqk4.jpg
183KB, 769x1038px
>>53053035
I've had an idea for one that's basically a zombie apocalypse.

The Lich has already dominated the continent and there are only a few remaining bastions of resistance. Thinking he has succeeded in his endeavors, he quietly retreats to his lair believing his lieutenants and hordes of undead will take care of the leftovers on their own.

The party has to travel from town to town rescuing people and liberating them while also helping them establish resistances. Poor planning could result in the town being destroyed completely, and it would be fun to see the PCs reactions as that NPC they loved is spotted amongst a horde of undead as nothing more than a shambling corpse.

The PCs slowly work their way up the chain of command by first slaying weak minions, to lieutenants, to undead dragons, then finally Lich himself.

Maybe it starts with them trying to board the last ship leaving the continent only to have it be destroyed and they get forced to retreat further in-land.
>>
>>53053067
That's garbage. If you advocate for anything it should be a system of 1st through 9th level powers across all classes and have some be magic and some be not magic. It solves basically every common problem in D&D. Don't like it? Use spell points across the board.

Same for psionics. Use the same resources with all classes, but give the classes a wider variety of options with those resources.

I mean how many resources do you need? Level, a scaling bonus die, a point pool, some short rest slots, and the spell slots. Now Warlock spells, inspiration, and action surge all use the same resource; ki & sorcery points; spells & maneuvers; inspiration die and monk unarmed strike weapon die. Make the whole thing actually modular.
>>
>>53053185
Try it then, you're already being that guy trying to have us help you.
>>
>>53053185
They can, prone is not listed in their condition immunities.

>>53053186
No more cheating than fishing for answers on a norwegian goat farmer website.
>>
>>53053178
fair enough.

>>53053191
nice, might try to work something out of that.
>>
>>53053035
Drew the Lich just wants to marry Kiara Blackfist the AntiPaladin. But she's with Vecna now. Every so often, Drew embarks on a half assed campaign to take over the world like his idol Skeletor, but his heart really isnt in it. His heart is actually in a box somewhere. At first the PC's are working with the Knights of the Aquarium which is led by a guy who acts like outrageous Aquaman. But then the Goddess of Love instructs the party to help Drew and Kiara be together and thwart the will of Vecna. This sets them at odds with the Aquarium, not to mention Drew, who really doesn't want their help.
>>
>>53053208
Thank you, I figure it's unlikely to be able to move fast anyway so simply prone and kite is a good trick.

I only know we're fighting it because spoilers for Death House is everywhere.
>>
Are Khopesh cool?
>>
>>53053286
Very,
>>
>>53052199
Every GM is doing it wrong. Unless you're going to allow one long rest every few sessions, there just aren't enough combats or limited time situations to force the party to manage per-rest resources.

Hell, merely having a Wizard around who needs to be careful about his slots means you DON'T HAVE TO BE CAREFUL ABOUT YOUR RESTS because he can shunt the whole party up a fucking Rope Trick or into a Tiny Hut or a Mansion and everyone can have a nap. He solves his own problem.
>>
>>53053048
But at -5 how do you hit anything?
>>
File: 1462661646343.jpg (60KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
1462661646343.jpg
60KB, 620x400px
So my power is out and I'm in a bit of a pickle right now in the campaign I'm running. So I'm a new GM and I've been designated as the forever GM by a group of three completely new players as well. I read the core books, went online and did more reading, and then I saw some cool monsters I wanted to use and it looks like it's going to turn out awful.

I had a whole little scenario planned out where the players would confront an Aboleth inside of a meteor that would host the remains of a drained Atropal. They were to contain the drained Atropal and bring it back to a wizard.

The issue is, I don't think my players can handle it, to put it in perspective they almost died to three Merrow, twice. This makes me think they're probably not prepared for what I have in store. So I decided to change things up, but, I'd like some brain storming ideas. I've already introduced the area that the Aboleth is in. They're in the middle of a chasm with a thick mucus looking foggy lake around a meteorite with buildings pressed against the walls of the chasm. I want to make it a dungeon since we had to break before they could get too far into it, but, I am not sure what to change the boss to or what I want as traps/encounters yet for the dungeon.

They think they're in some eldritch lair right now from what they've told me out of the game though, so maybe something with that? I'm not sure, just looking for some advice on it while I wait for the power to turn on again.
>>
>>53053302
I just say you can only get the benefit of a short rest twice between long rests. Toying with the idea of letting Leomunds Tiny Hut and Rope Trick add a third and fourth short rest.
>>
>>53053302
I've been thinking of using the week long rest option but hate how long it is. Would making Long Rest abilities recover only on every second Long Rest help?

>>53053315
Do anything you can to get Advantage which is about +5.5 to hit. The real kicker is that with PAM+GWM even if you only hit half as often you'll do slightly more damage then normal and if you have Advantage then you just fuck everything up.

Also the bonus action attack from PAM can be used to knock someone Prone for advantage on your other two attack.
>>
>>53053338
Levels, and link where the fuck you got the Atropal.
>>
>>53053315
Precision Strike, Advantage, Archery FS. It works out.
>>
File: 1493068362956.jpg (126KB, 427x640px) Image search: [Google]
1493068362956.jpg
126KB, 427x640px
>>53053315
Reckless attack, who gives a fuck if they have advantage I eat damage
>>
>>53053059
I always thought that Thirl Feodal was an interesting character that got killed off too soon. He had legitimate points of view as to why man should rise to prominence among the civilized races, and why dwarves were shit and should fuck off back into their mountains.
>>
>>53053362
Advantage is more like an average of +3 in most situations.
>>
File: 1477148262910.jpg (531KB, 700x979px)
1477148262910.jpg
531KB, 700x979px
>>53053363
4 Characters (one of them wanted to play a husband/wife duo which I allowed. That's another mistake to discuss later though). The whole party is level 4. The party consists of a Barbarian, Paladin, Dread Necromancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?384349-Dread-Necromancer-remake-PEACH), and a Ranger.

The Atropal is a macguffin more than anything else. They're not going to fight it, just contain it to bring it back. The Aboleth is just the one in the monster manual.
>>
>>53053404
Aside from the retard sword this man speaks the truth. Barbarian's are the best because they simply never go down.

More health, always advantage and a number of times per rest they fuck everyone up. Plus the fact in a 1v1 fight against any other martial they can reliably win initiative, Prone, murder strike and then run out of range of melee attacks or stay there against archers.

Paladins go home.

>>53053430
But notice you have an over 50% chance to roll at least a 15 with advantage compared to about a 50% chance to get an 11 without. I'd call it a +4 myself.
>>
>>53053479
in any pvp the character who wins initiative is likely to win. D&D was never designed for pvp, though. Also, Moon Druid can easily take four to five times the damage in a day that a barbarian can (given two short rests a day).
>>
>>53053552
Not going to lie that is true. Most of the time in a 1v1 I think a GWM Barbarian can completely reduce a Moon Druid's form to zero in one turn though.

The game sure as hell isn't balance around PvP but Barbarians are the best at shitting out damage and staying alive at the same time as far as I know.
>>
I might be retarded but how what are some ways one can use Fabricate? Can I demolish walls with it?
>>
>>53053444
Mate, you are three levels of deadliness over deadly. They just can't make it.
500 XP per level 4 character is Deadly.
An Aboleth is 5900 XP.
I had to make up entire tiers of deadliness to express just how dead they are.

Level 4

625 - Too Deadly

750 - Total Party Kill

875 - Slate Cleaner

>Too Deadly. A too deadly encounter will be lethal for two or more player characters. Survival requires good tactics and quick thinking, and the party faces a likely defeat.

>Total Party Kill. A total party kill encounter will be lethal for all the player characters. Survival requires either extreme preparation or a quick escape, combat is certain death or worse.

>Slate Cleaner. A slate cleaner is more of a plot device than an encounter, it's used to show the height of a class' power or the might of the main antagonist. A fight with such a foe is straight up impossible.
>>
Do shortbows have any advantage over longbows aside from not triggering my OCD when I have to roll 1d8+1d6 for damage?
>>
File: 1486939652955.jpg (470KB, 1516x2067px)
1486939652955.jpg
470KB, 1516x2067px
>>53053696
Yeah, I am realizing that now since I misunderstood how challenge rating works. I really don't wanna kill everyone since this would be our fourth session together, which is why I'm brainstorming here for ideas at the moment. I don't wanna waste the set piece I've set up, but, I also don't wanna kill the party that hard. A casualty here and there is normal for adventuring, a party wipe session 4 seems needless cruel from what I understand.

I have a few days to come up with something, so it isn't like I need to come up with it tonight. I just wanted to start early since I really don't have anything else going till Saturday.
>>
>>53053829
One idea could be weakening it and making it pre-injured by something else, giving them an artifact that weakens it or throwing a few NPC allies in there to help them.
>>
>>53053829
Give them some sort of explosive and hint them to use it to drain the abolth's area.
The combat is now running and living for 10 rounds while it suffocates.
>>
>>53053829
They don't have to fight it to the death on their first encounter.
>>
>>53053829
It's already fighting something else that got to it. Even if the other enemy only lasts a round or two against it, it should weaken it up enough for the party to be able to stand a chance of murdering it.
>>
>>53053829
The aboleth is dead, he dry drowned.
Use a Chuul.
>>
Any advice on someone looking for a group? I played 3.5 for a bit back in 2007 and then became DM for some RL friends for most of 2015 for a dozen or so sessions until it was clear they were not made for commitment. (Voting on starting over, three or four cases of restarting after session 3, some glossing over the rules to make arguments end quicker, etc). After this I said fuck tabletop for a year so I forgot most things. Sorry for blog.

I just want to play for a change.
>>
File: 1487443855645.jpg (396KB, 700x994px) Image search: [Google]
1487443855645.jpg
396KB, 700x994px
>>53053851
That's something I had in mind originally. What I originally wanted to do was have the Aboleth be bloated and slow, emulating closer to how it looked in the 2E designs. It's barely containing its innards from the power it's been draining from the Atropal, but, I don't know how silly that is lore wise. I wanted to create a "power corrupts" allegory to it. I usually like to design each session with a vibe to it. Not to be preachy, but, to inspire me and work along a theme.

>>53053866
I like this idea, but, I'd already done something similar in an area earlier where they used a pile of explosives the merrows and skum had been using to raid ships and villages nearby against them.

>>53053891
This is true, it could escape, but, would an Aboleth run from its lair? I kind of want to paint the area around it as its home and how the creatures did treat it as a god at some point. Even if it was through mind control, I want to throw my players off.

>>53053894
Any good ideas to what it could be fighting? Would the Chuul the anon below suggested be good?

>>53053909
This could also work, I could combine it with the idea I posted above where it died holding the Atropal at bay and some other creature is running things now.

Also, thank you for the advice so far. I wasn't really expecting this much support posting in here. I was going to assume everyone was going to call me retarded, but, the help so far has just tickled my fancy.
>>
>>53053928
Wait for a new thread and then repost.
Also, maje a throwaway mail and add it.
>>53053947
The Chuul work for the aboleths, they wouldn't fight them.

Also, you could have the aboleth die overloaded, and have the party see it.
The runoff power goes partly into a Chuul and it goes from CR 4 to CR 6.
Just give it a breath weapon like the chimera and more HP.
>>
>>53053947
I was leaning more towards having the party needing to escape but if push come to shove I'm sure most anything would retreat unless it's on its last legs. I can only hope when I eventually get to properly planning my own campaign and encounters I can get the same kind of help.
>>
My DM allows Renaissance Firearms from the DMG with a Fighting Style that lets them ignore the Loading property on it. So basically it does more damage in exchange for losing the accuracy of other Ranged weapons with their +2 Attack.

Should I go Kensai X/Fighter 1 and take pistols or riles as my Kensai Weapon? Should I call it Gun fu?
>>
>>53054046
Gun Kata
>>
>>53054040
Ah, alright then, I like this idea. I'm going to heavily consider it. I was also thinking of using a Shaboath as well, since it could tie into something earlier I was hinting at with a NPC a town or two back.

>>53054045
Ah, I understand now. I'd hope so, only thing stopping them would be the hostage they left in the area before. They'd probably have to snag him fast along the way.
>>
>>53053362
>>53053378
>>53053404
Thanks for the answers without being cockbags, anons.
>>
how 2 play wizard

I'm level 7, not solid on what tradition yet
>>
>>53054226
Depends on what you want to do.
>>
>>53054295
well the rest of the party can shit out damage, and generally this campaign is mostly combat oriented
>>
>>53054226
The best is Divination followed by Abjuration, Evocation and Transmutation.
>>
14, 15, 14, 9, 14, 8 Human Monk with the Brawny feat. Planning to focus on grappling, shoves and disarms with my speed to support the GWM Paladin and the Rogue.

Is it a good idea?
>>
File: magnum.jpg (115KB, 797x1000px) Image search: [Google]
magnum.jpg
115KB, 797x1000px
>>53045242
>what art has inspired your characters?
This art.
>>
>>53054399
Whoops the Dexterity should be 16.
>>
>>53054309
So... is it a good idea to buff my skeletons with bless? Is there any other way to increase their accuracy?
>>
> Read new UA Q&A
> Blade flourish is intentionally design to not being able to work with TWF

I don't understand WotC sometime
>>
File: 1487667103651.png (236KB, 574x255px) Image search: [Google]
1487667103651.png
236KB, 574x255px
>>53054535
I wish I could help you, god speed
>>
Can an Open Hand Monk push people upwards with their Flurry of Blows boost?
>>
>>53054754
If your question is the same that Crawford answered, you can't go straight up but you can go diagonal.
>>
So my friend wants to make the son of two of the PC characters after a time skip. Because he will be the son of a dragonborn and a half/elf he is arguing that he should get all of the bonuses from both races.

I dont think that this is fair to the rest of the group.
>>
>>53054838
He is a complete faggot, those races can't crossbreed, he's a complete faggot and I'd give him +2 CHA, +1 STR, darkvision, damage resistance and fey ancestry.
>>
>>53054838
>dragonborn and a half/elf
probably, most likely, biologically impossible.
>>
>>53054838
Nope. Tell him to either stick to the rule and choose one racial trait (although you could let him pick appearance like Dragonborn ability but half-elf appearance) or argue that the PC couldn't conceive a child due to bad racial compatibility and decide to adopt one.
>>
File: 1480550410087.gif (446KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
1480550410087.gif
446KB, 300x186px
>>53054905
Tell him to pick or not get to play it at all.
>>
>>53054838
>all of the bonuses from both races

So have you ever noticed how that doesn't happen in the half-races that are actually possible?
>>
>>53054838
Let him.
Then inform him you'll be giving all other players the racial benefits of any four races of their choosing because they just so happened to have a slightbit of those race's bloods in them.
>>
>>53054838
tell him no, no reason needed
>>
Quick I need all the uses you can think of for telekinesis.
>>
>>53055329
Public handjobs.
>>
>>53055329
>Create distraction a making noise moving stuff
>Throwing objects into people from behind them
>Activating hard to reach or out of reach levers
>Tricking people into thinking something is cursed
>Ruffling your clothes and hair for dramatic effect
>Flipping up some qt3.14's skirt on the street
>Holding a book up to read from in a more comfortable position
>Pulling an item to an ally
>Throwing pocket sand when you can't put your hand in your pocket
>Pushing on something you think is a trap
>Pushing someone down the stairs
>Slapping someone from across the room
>>
>>53054838
>I dont think that this is fair to the rest of the group.
You wouldn't say!

Just use the half elf (human+elf) or half orc (humie+orc) as a baseline, talk about what kind of character he wants to play as, and you'll be able to make a balanced custom race...
OR
just tell him to fuck off, if he wants to breathe fire it's dragonborn, if he doesn't it's humie or half elf. Flavor it up as the draconic part being dominant or recessive or just fucking magic, give him an extra birthmark on his chest, a single scale of the appropriate color.
>>
Is the Mage Slayer feat worth it on a Rogue? The way I see it is that I could get to the Caster easier then most, attack him and then if he moves or casts a spell stand a good chance of killing him out right. Also it's flavorful for the character's background.

Anyone have ideas for what I should pick for my Subclass? Scout, Assassin and Thief are all feeling pretty fun.
>>
So do Kensai do the Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter + Hand Crossbow thing really well or is that just me?

When forced into melee they can try to stun, get +2 AC and generally not suck.

When at range they get the usual stuff but also scaling damage die, the ability to add an extra damage die on when they Crit and a free +3 Hand Crossbow. Plus I think no official adventures have magic Hand Crossbows laying around.

On top of all that they have the cool arrow deflection and awesome mobility.

Only issue I see if being behind in Wisdom.
>>
>>53054838
He's a half-elf with a good excuse to be a draconic sorcerer.
>>
>>53055567
Isn't that because it's supposed to be ammunition that's magical, not the weapon?
>>
>>53045242
>Starting at 6th level, the celestial energy coursing through you can empower your healing magic. Whenever you roll dice to determine the number of hit points a sorcerer spell of yours restores, you can spend 1 sorcery point to reroll any number of those dice once
Aren't most healing spells diceless or very independent of it? I.e. all except the cure wounds spells.
>>
>>53055603
Nope, there's both. Crawford confirmed that having either magic bolts or a magic weapon lets you bypass immunity and I imagine there's a few magical bolts in official adventures but I don't think any Hand Crossbows. On top of that the bolts and the crossbow stack bonuses.

>>53055619
Pretty much, also Healing Word and a handful of other. I can't imagine many situations I'd use the ability at all.

I still firmly believe that the first Favored Soul was the best but I'd change out the extra attack on it for people who don't want to gish.
>>
>>53052414
1d8 + 1d4 is clunky as fuck, just make all those weapons use 2d6 for the same average and similar distribution, or d12 to preserve the swinginess of the originals.
>>
Can I use my normal attack for 1 attack, use my dual wielding bonus action attack and then use my second attack from my attack action?
>>
>>53050183
Ranma's a bit different this season.
>>
>>53055821
Yes.
>>
>>53051436
This is something I'd like to know. I've barely heard of anyone that does, but that would be the place I'd expect them to.
>>
>>53055821
Bonus actions can be used at any time unless there's a specified timing such as 'After your attack action.'

The only timing specified for two-weapon-fighting is that it must be used when you take the attack action (Doesn't even say 'on your turn) so to prevent it from becoming 'You can use the bonus action at any time forever after using the attack action' it's 'When you take the attack action, you may make two-weapon-fighting's bonus attack first, second, third, fourth or last'.
>>
>>53053356
Nerfing short rests doesn't do anything to make casters weaker though? Except druids and maybe bards. If anything I'd say increase the amount of short rests according to how many encounters generally happen per long. If you're running 2-3 instead of 6-8 (lol) then long rest powers are 3 times more powerful than they are designed to be, so a short rest between every encounter would still not let short rest powers catch up.
>>
I'm looking it over and if you give 4-Elements Monks real level 6, 11 and 17 abilities I think it could be salvageable. I mean at level 3 a lot of their low level abilities are actually decent, Gust of Wind is good on a Monk, the Fire Fist thing is decent and the Water freezing one is really cool when it would come up.

I'm thinking that maybe making the level 6 be extra Ki equal to your Wisdom modifier, making the level 11 be that you can use any of the 1 Ki options for free and sticking sticking an max level Elemental Weapon casting on your fists at level 17 for 3-4 Ki might fix it. Thoughts?
>>
>Warlock3/WizardX
>Cast rope trick on a short rest
>Hide all day in your little dark box
>HikkiNEETwizard
>>
>>53050828
Strength barbarogues are a legitimate reason to use TWF for reasons other than more sneak attack chance considering they can't use non-finesse weapons anyway and they can add their rage bonus damage. Though honestly it's not vastly better than using a rapier, but eh, if you used a shield instead you'd end up having a harder time grappling people.

>>53052905
Hunter's mark is a bonus action with makes it awkward. Also, why not just use PAM in that case? You get a stronger bonus action and a reaction.
>>
Can someone help me break down monster HP?
Like, gnolls have 5d8 hit dice, no bonus since they've got 10CON, but they have 22 HP. What's the calculation supposed to be?
>>
>>53056173
The average of their Hit Dice. In this case the average of a 1d8 is 4.5, so 4.5*5 equals 22.5 and we round down to 22.
>>
File: 1493362002674.jpg (23KB, 255x222px) Image search: [Google]
1493362002674.jpg
23KB, 255x222px
>>53056173
>5d8
>How did they end up at 22
>>
>>53056184
Thank you. Is there a chart or table in the DMG that shows this, or that you could post? I understood that average is usually half the die, plus one.
>>
>>53056208
Nah, average is half the die + 0.5.

Think of it as if you were to draw a line with 8 markings on it, from 1-8. Zero doesn't exist here because there's no chance of it happening.

If you go four up from the lowest then you get to 4 and if you go four down from the highest you get to 5. So you go for the middle number between the two which is 4.5.
>>
>>53056208
The average is (total of all numbers on the die)/(number of sides)

Which ends up being the same as half the sides+0.5
>>
The players have a riddle that leads to a treasure. The first clue suggests they need to find a certain old castle. How can I give the party a lead on where to get more info about the castle without sounding railroad-y?
>>
>>53056317
Have one of them get a letter saying he inherited his Grandfathers haunted castle.... the catch is they have to spend the night there.

Also the castle just happens to be that same one.

The better option would be to just put info in a reasonable place. If they found the fist clue in a local inn often used by coal miners the next one might be in the abandoned coal mine for example, just make some plot event happen that leads them there.

Listen to what the players say as well, if they think to visit a master cartographer or something then throw them a bone and the guy gives them a hint.
>>
>>53056317
Make sure they know the world map somewhat so they know roughly where most castles are, but discourage them from just searching every single one.

Let them continue adventuring normally and perhaps they even figure it out or find another piece of riddle.
Thread posts: 393
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.