[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magic Story Lore Thread: Bontu is a Women Croc Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 43

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/brazen-2017-05-03

New story Brazen in which The Gatewatch plans to start another rebellion.
>>
>>53041527
Nah, only Gideon does because the God told him that his doubts only lead him to confusion, while the doubts of the crop leads them to excellence
>>
>>53041527
>Numbers of planes saved by the Gatewatch - 1
>Number of planes ruined by the Gatewatch - 3
>>
>>53041527
>You can't be a heretic if you never had faith to begin with
>>
File: reece.jpg (27KB, 504x415px) Image search: [Google]
reece.jpg
27KB, 504x415px
>>53041653
>>
>>53041629
what plane have they saved? Zendikar? Which they left as a blasted ruin?
>>
Gideon "Too white for his own good" Jura
>>
>>53041527
I expected the trial of ambition to be the one where most people get culled.

Didn't expect the very final part of the trial would be to literally offer a heart of your group for success.
>>
File: Anointed Procession.jpg (68KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
Anointed Procession.jpg
68KB, 850x500px
>>53041527
tl;dr

Gideon undergoes the black trial.

They start with 20 dudes, including Gideon.

Nine get to the end, there's eel infested water, they don't get eaten by the eels at this time. No need to worry, or be concerned.

The eight of the nine that aren't Gideon rip each other's hearts out and give them to Bontu. Gideon swims through eel infested water.

They remaining four call Gideon a heretic and Bontu says Gideon never had faith to begin with.

Gideon realizes that the mummies on Amonkhet are the dead trial guys, which Liliana pointed out to Jace in a previous story. see pic related
>>
>>53041965
literally "you gotta want it", the trial
>>
>>53041852
I'd say Innistrad
>>
>>53041629
What planes did they ruin?

Zendikar could be blamed on Nissa/Jace/Chandra's actions before they became the gatewatch. Though this could be further construed to be the fault of Sorin/Ugin/Nahiri earlier actions.

Innistrad was saved as much as it could be. None of the gatewatch are to blame for what happened there.

Kaladesh was saved by overthrowing Tezzeret. People complain about the gatewatch coming and conflicting with cultural/people of the plane and subjecting them to their own ideal, but Tezzeret was already doing that himself to kaladesh.
>>
Is it confirmed to be a planeswalker spark farming operation?
>>
>>53042302
No hard confirmation, but everything points to it.
>>
>>53042208
All the complaining looks like it's just for things to go back to the way things were before Alara. When Planeswalkers were tourists instead of protagonists.

A strange narrative in which the Gatewatch is to blame for any dissatisfaction they feel with things. Same as the narrative that Maro is to blame for everything mechanically bad about the game, when there are a lot more hands in the game without a public face on them.
>>
Confirmed that Bontu willingly submitted to Nicol Bolas instead of being mind controlled or killed?
>>
File: IMG_7298.jpg (65KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7298.jpg
65KB, 312x445px
>>53042302
>>53042317

I dunno. I initially thought that as well, but this card+flavortext gives me some doubts. Unless Bolas is straight up farming just the Sparks, and not Planeswalkers.
>>
REEEEEEEEEEE NISSA IS BLUE
UG da bes tho
>>
>>53042396
Well if their spark ignited they would be sent huddling across the blind eternities. Possibly to the meditation realm since everyone has a stiffy for old Nicky B
>>
>>53042396
Glorious death just means death in the trial
People who complete Hazoret's trial get dusted
>>
>>53042396
What else would it be?

Life on Amonkhet boils down to one thing, and one thing only, training for the trials. The trials themselves are designed to cull everyone but the strongest applicants. Any applicant capable of completing all 5 trials is then killed by Hazoret.

All of this does seem to point to planeswalker farming.
>>
>>53042456

When a Planeswalker's Spark ignited they end up on a plane that "need" to be, right, or that fits their personality? Gideon ended up on Bant, Chandra ended up on Regatha, Liliana on Innistrad, etc. So Bolas creates the trials as a way to force any potential Planeswalkers into a personality that puts them on a specific plane when they spark. Makes since.
>>
>>53042552

Sense*, not since, sorry.
>>
>>53042366
>before Alara
Nah, the best stories started with Alara, and ran through Tarkir. When planeswalkers were protagonists, but the conflicts belonged to the worlds themselves, rather than always having to tie into something interplanar.

The Gatewatch ruining things isn't an in-universe issue, but a meta one. We don't see as much worldbuilding detail as we did before because we have to have N cards per set dedicated to showing them in the world and telling us what they're up to.
>>
So if Bolas is farming for his Legion of Doom, why haven't we seen ANY of them. Like there hasn't even been mention of an Ascended Hero that survived Hazoret. Nothing like a winner walking around to cheer on the masses.

The only conclusion we reach otherwise is Bolas is just farming Zombies for his eventual invasion of other planes
>>
>>53042636
They're probably in other planes doing shit or training more
Besides, if they returned to the plane, then they would be considered failures for not being dead
>>
>>53042636
The simple answer is that no PW-sparked potential ha ssurvived Hazoret.
>>
>>53042636
>why haven't we seen any of them

Because they all planeswalked away.

If Bolas was trying to farm zombies, why bother with the trials and the constant training.

The most logical thing to farm zombies would be to increase the population + population growth as much as possible.
>>
>>53042617
Said worldbuilding stuff is in the artbooks rather than on the cards these days.
>>
I don't think it can be a planeswalker farming operation for the simple reason that he put a deadline on it. If he was just farming walkers, he'd want to collect every so often, not end the entire project all at once without any confirmation of success or failure.

He's accumulating some kind of definite resource.
>>
Are we really sure Amonkek is a walkerfarm. As I understand the character, the main goal of Bolas is to regain his oldwalker powerlevel. So everything he is doing should be leading to that goal, right?

How is sparking walkers or invading other planes going to help him do that?
>>
>>53042709
>goal is to make the story and flavor more accessible
>shoves all the setting details into a $40 supplemental product that isn't available until the end of the block
>when the delay between set releases and book releases was one of the reasons they moved the stories to the website in the first place
>>
File: rankupu.png (86KB, 588x215px) Image search: [Google]
rankupu.png
86KB, 588x215px
>>53042776
I can only assume, he eats the sparks in some fashion.

How else could you gain your old powers, if not by devouring a bunch of other sparks?
>>
>>53042776
a. He could just be farming the Spark itself to gain its power
b. If he's God-Pharoh of the multiverse that's kinda like having your godlike power back
>>
>>53042800
>How else could you gain your old powers,
Well, time travel obviously. It's been done several times already so we know it's possible inuniverse.

If I was Bolas, over 25.000 yrs. old allknowing walker, and so pissed off about losing my godlike powers, I'd travel back in time and try to prevent the thing that caused the mending to happen.

He's fucking Bolas, right? He should be able to figure it out. Could be epic if they do it right I think. Re-visiting Urza and old Phyrexia.

It'll never happen off course, I understand why they did the mending and all. But would be awesome story I think.
>>
>>53041852
As opposed to leaving it to be eaten by the Eldrazi?
>>
I like Gideon more with every story. I hope the rest of the Gatewatch bites the dust.
>>
File: 1369367220162.gif (509KB, 328x283px) Image search: [Google]
1369367220162.gif
509KB, 328x283px
>>53041527
How do you fags read this shit?
>>
>>53043448
Without taking it seriously.

Bontu's sassy as fuck and Gideon's a culturally insensitive bumbling moron with a hero complex. It's hilarious.
>>
>>53042731
This.

It was mentioned in previous stories that the trials existed pre-Bolas but was reserved to an elite few.

My guess is that the blessed afterlife is an actual thing, and that is what Bolas is gonna farm, like with the Maelstrom on Alara.
The Hours is basically a countdown until it has reached max capacity of souls to harvest.
>>
>>53043469
I get that. It's not funny though (subjective) and it's difficult to read with the poor writing (objective). Dear god, the writing.
>>
>>53043520
This one was particularly difficult to follow because it was just poorly written.
>>
>tfw we will never have stories as good as "The Thran" ever again
>>
>>53041527
Gideon getting roasted by Bontu. Delightful.
>>
>>53043520

Sometimes people can take the stick out of their ass and just enjoy something that isn't high literature. Crazy, I know.
>>
>>53043520
I'm mean yeah sure the story is not great and a half of other things about the game aren't going well but I really just look at it like scenery, as we are but tourists to this Desert shithole stuck following around some incompetent power rangers.
>>
>>53042927
The thing is that the mending happened because of so many clusterfucks being piled on top of each other. If he just stopped the mending itself, the multiverse would have been torn apart. The best thing to do would be to go back to Thran times and smother Yawgmoth in his crib.
But that would create more problems and probably more rifts and magic cancer since the Thran wouldn't have died.
Maybe take the world bombs Urza had made and blow up Phyrexia right after Yawgmoth gets sealed off
>>
>>53044211
Even the act of time travel and altering the course of time on that level would probably exacerbate the destruction of the Multiverse.
>>
>>53044229

Wasnt what made the mending neccessary in the first place that time travel had damaged reality and all of time and space was coming undone?

Trying to solve that with more time travel sounds bad.
>>
>>53044260
Funny enough, time travel actually helped. A rift was created when Karn went back in time to save his friends but made beyond repair when Barrin obliterated Tolaria. Knowing this, Karn went back in time again to seal the rift right after it happened with his own spark.
>>
>>53042636
What if he's harvesting Sparks to try and change the Mending in some way - even if just for himself? Regain some of his former power.
>>
>>53042366
I don't blame the gatewatch for all the issues, I blame the SJW pandering and those Magic the Armaturing women for this diversity push.
>>
>>53044211
>Smother Yawgmoth

Congrats. Wizards has already confirmed that if yawgmoth hadn't become the Father of machines then Urza would have instead.
>>
>>53045288
I blame you for not killing yourself.
>>
fuck wotc and fuck (mono) white planeswalkers
>>
I still feel like this whole plane was converted into a Planeswalker farming realm for Bolas to get people loyal to him from birth to serve under him.

I think the reason why no one's survived Hazoret's trial (ie., having their Spark ignite before dying and Planeswalking away) is because of the trials themselves; these people are expected to train and serve from birth to death (which we're lead to believe is them dying due to the Trials by their early 30s). They are so used to death and strife that when they go to Hazoret and get dusted, they think they'll just be reborn when Bolas shows up. Compared to the other Planeswalkers we know of, their Sparks ignited upon being faced with a great revelation and/or are shocked so deeply that they just 'NOPE' out of the plane.

Instead, I think Bolas is going to show up, see that no one's had their Spark ignite, and just Wrath of God + Armageddon the plane, chalking up this planar experiment into the study of 'Spark ignition' a failure, and move onto the next plane.

... Which, funnily enough, might be what makes one of these idiots have their Spark ignite; seeing their God-Pharoh arrive, be greatly disappointed, and decide to nuke the plane because fuck humans, what use to me are you alive or dead. Oh, and btw, your whole, "reborn in the Afterlife" thing is fake, too.
>>
I'm starting to think Bolas doesn't really give a shit about the population of Amonkhet so much as he's letting something tick down until he's ready to consume the last of the plane's power and the remaining gods all in one go. If the warped trials produce useful pawns in the process this is merely a convenient bonus.

I notice they continue to not have Gideon use Heiromancy in the stories. Still just the invincible aura and hand-to-hand combat.

Which is making me wonder if they just forgot that Gideon is, in fact, a fairly powerful mage as well as a soldier and has magic powers BESIDES his aura, or if Gideon is for some reason unable to use his Heiromancy because his faith's been broken for years and Amonkhet is forcing him to confront that with a new set of gods rather than ignore it.
>>
>>53042927

Timetravel in MtG is oddly specific:

1) not even walkers survive time travel, only silver can withstand it

2) Time travel rips the multiverse, and leads to mending-like crysis

The only actual time traveler is Karn (karona was clearly experiencing delusions), and even him did it only a handful of times, and ended up being stranded on new phyrexia, losing his old spark and with memory mostly wiped out
>>
>>53045721
Also Sarkhan, whose dragonboner is so hard that he fucked a hole in Tarkir's timeline until he was blue in the face.
>>
>>53045770

Technically that was Ugin, but yeah, it basically broke all the pre-extabilished rules for time traveling.
>>
>>53045770
It's implied that Sarkhan was able to time travel thanks to Ugin's corpse making a portal back to the moment he died, back when Bolas showed up to fight Ugin. And Sarkhan might or might not have been possessed by Ugin's spirit, which was having him be so crazy to begin with.
>>
>>53045572
Fuck you, I like the cat man and the knight girl.
>>
>>53045948
Ajani and Elspeth are (to my knowledge) well-liked Planeswalkers, because they actually have some sort of personality and character growth.

Compared to Gideon, who is pretty boring as, "soldier boy beefcake."
>>
>>53045992

I dunno, I kinda feel like Gideon's the only member of the gatewatch that reads like a person more than a stereotype, even if it seems like half the writers have no fucking idea how to write him.
>>
>>53042709
Anybody has scans of the artbooks?
>>
>>53045795

The one intetesting thing there is tgat Sarkhan didnt actual travel physically, he basically just astral projected into the past, and only was able to do that because Ugin summoned him.

Which might get around the silver restriction, but also means that you can only travel as far back as to when the spell was cast by someone else, not before or to anywhere else.
>>
>>53046052
Gideon is aggressively steortypical white. He is literally what would happen if you took Savannah Lion and made it a mythic.
>>
>>53041527
If you all didn't realize Bontu was female even before her card came out, you are miserable at both identifying sexual dimorphisisms and also bad at pattern recognition,
Because WotC always does 3/2 split with women being the majority.
>>
File: actually.png (24KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
actually.png
24KB, 200x200px
>>53046255
>3/2 split with women being the majority

The amonkhet gods are opposite sexed of the theros mono-color gods. Which means they did a 3/2 split with men being the majority.
>>
>>53046255
It's literally just a gender reversal of the Theros Gods, there's nothing sinister behind it.
>>
>>53046294
>>53046255
worded poorly, but Theros had a 3/2 split with men being a majority
>>
>>53046255

They do a 3/2 split that alternates from set to set. Half the time it's guys half it's girls.
>>
>>53046255
Mono legends in aether Revolt
Khans in ktk
Mono gods in Theros (which amonkhet gods were mirroring)
>>
>>53042389
Would explain the lack of a mask.
>>
>>53044260
Time travel only caused ONE rift.
The rest were caused due to Dominaria suffering about a dozen apocalypses
>>
>>53043115
How many years Zendikar has been eaten by Eldrazi before Gatewatch showed up?
>>
>>53046570

I think about a year passed between Rise of the Eldrazi and Battle for Zendikar.

Nissa and Gideon were there fighting them most of that time, though.
>>
>>53044211
>>53044260
Nah. What made the mending necessary was the planeswalker card type. Kinda bummed by this actually. You know that they'll never reverse this fluffwise so you kinda already know Bolas has lost. You can strech it but but basically Bolas has already been defeated by marketing.
>>
>>53046728
meta. Also, depressing. Fuck planeswalker cards, I much prefer the idea of the players being the only planeswalkers.
>>
>>53046728

I do have to wonder what "Bolas the God-Pharoh" Planeswalker card will be though.
>>
>>53046728
>Implying Bolas doesn't try to timetravel to Old Phyrexia to try meld himself to the plane like Yawgmoth did
>Implying the dead Dragon that Yawgmoth found on Phyrexia isn't Bolas.
>>
>>53042389
She wanted that dragon dick
>>
>>53045351
Hey cuck your wife called to say Tyrone miss placed the key to your cock cage.
>>
>>53046938
Or atleast she was willing to suck it to not be killed/mind-controlled.
>>
>>53045337

But if there's no Yawg then the Brother's War doesn't happen, Mishra isn't compleated by Gix because he doesn't exist either.
>>
>>53047431

Urza would have eventually planeswalked, and discovered phyrexia.
>>
>>53047431
Wizards has confirmed that the only difference between Urza and Yawgmoth is that Yawgmoth found Phyrexia first
>>
>>53042396
It's been confirmed that the leylines on amonkhet are manipulated so that every dead eventually comes back to life. Maybe it's just a temporary dead. Either the spark gets ignited when they come back to life, or Bolas is just farming sparks somehow and not planeswalkers.
>>
>>53047578

The Brother's War and the Golgothian Sylex was what ignited his Spark. Without the War, there is no Guarentee that Urza's Spark ever ignites.

>>53047635

Well, yeah, that much is true. I mean, look what happened in the story when Urza decided to join up with Yawg.
>>
>>53047578
Except Phyrexia had nearly fallen apart when Yawg was handed it by the dumbest planeswalker ever.
The plane wouldn't have existed by the time Urza was born.
>>
>>53048064
>dumbest planeswalker ever.
>Not Urza
>>
>>53048137
Urza was a clever imbecile, it's different.
>>
>>53048137
There's a lot of competition for Second Dumbest Planeswalker Ever.
There's none for the #1 slot, because that will always be held, in perpetuity, by Dyfed, the Thran planeswalker. A squeeing fangirl of the artificer Glacian, she went to up and visit him and tell him he's totes a planeswalker too he just hasn't become one yet, all within earshot of his doctor. She then decided to give said doctor his VERY OWN PLANE of nested spheres and mechanical horror and glistening oil that she'd found, because ??? and the old owner died so hey nobody's claimed the place.
And to be extra helpful, she even made a portal from Dominaria to this brand new plane just for ol' Yawgy, so he could use it as his special hospital. Right in front of him. This was obviously a smart idea.
For her efforts, he pithed and vivisected her, because those are his fetishes.
>>
>>53045288
this. When the hobby started to open itself up, the decline began.
>>
>>53042102
Emrakul saved Innistrad, not the gatewatch.
>>
Thanks for the cringe, friends.
>>
>>53046570
>>53046639
Two iirc, but even with the Roil the plane was being eaten faster than it could recover. Wizards shouldn't have ended it the way they did, but Zendikar was straight-up saved by the Gatewatch
Kaladesh wasn't in the same kind of pinch and Tezz's (Bolas') plan is fairly abstract at this point, but it seems safe to say that if the portal was going to be used to import Phyrexian oil, they saved it too. If not then they just went America all over everybody's ass for personal reasons
>>
File: Scan_20160106.png (6MB, 1523x2236px) Image search: [Google]
Scan_20160106.png
6MB, 1523x2236px
>>53046109
I did quite a few back in the day right before oath of the gatewatch came out (My art book came early for some reason).

I haven't done a total scan mostly because my scanner is small, the book is big, and a little weirdly shaped in such a way that its near impossible to get everything in there.

One of these days i might schlep these books to the library and use one of those big book scanners they got for old documents.

I got the books through kaladesh.
>>
File: file.png (157KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
157KB, 265x370px
>>53042708
I think there are some folks that think Ashiok might be from Amonkhet. He has some shoulder armor that showed up on some of the characters on either the cover for the art book or some other obscure characters on the cards.

All I can say is that they've got the horn motif.
>>
>>53046814
>>53046786
Something to keep in mind, there is going to be some "Archenemy" kit coming out too.
So maybe that might allow bolas to be more "Oldwalker styled"
>>
>>53051211

Eh. Tezzeret was certainly establishing an authoritarian regime and stockpiling powerful and dangerous artifacts, with the intent of using them on both Kaladesh and elsewhere. And he had all but betrayed the Consulate anyway, its just with the rebellion going on they were too busy to notice/no one wanted to speak up and get lumped with the rebellion.

Ignoring Tezzeret and just letting him do his thing would have clearly ended in disaster. Do you really want Tezzeret of all people essentially running a plane that can move Gearhulks into mass production, and build a functioning planar gate?

Its not exactly a Phyrexian tier problem, but it would still be a massacre out of nowhere against most planes you can can drop that one.
>>
File: file.png (177KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
177KB, 265x370px
>>53045576
>Sparks ignited upon being faced with a great revelation and/or are shocked so deeply that they just 'NOPE' out of the plane.
You know I half expect this to happen with Djeru from the story. Dude gets his life saved by say Gideon when gatewatch fuck up the Hazoret stabbing ceremony, and the guy basically ignites from the sheer anger of having his graduation to afterlife ceremony being interrupted.
>>
>>53051828
I would actually laugh. Like, the last story for AKH is the red trial and just as Hazoret is about to off Djeru, Gideon steps in and he ignites into a RWB walker.
First thing in HoD Djeru shoots Gideon in the back. We get a Blightning reprint. Then fucking Bolas shows up
>>
>>53052078
>blightning
>not hero's downfall
>>
>>53052155
You know, I thought as I typed it that Dreadbore would make sense too
>>
Okay, so as far as I can tell, everyone either:
>gets to die by Hazoret's spear
>dies trying
So where do the babies come from? If this has been going on for a generation or two, who made the current generation? Who's making the next?
>>
>>53052961
Woman have children between the ages of 14-18, as God intended.
>>
>>53052982
But there's no time for sex with all their training. Not to mention being pregnant eats up a huge chunk of the girl's training time, so she's not going to want that because it severely stunts her chances of clearing all the trials.
>>
>>53042636
I think the idea is that once they get to end, Hazoret executes them. This will either ignite their spark or make them dead, according to Bolas' plan. When the spark ignites, and they get planeswalked away Bolas probably goes to retrieve them wherever they end up. There can't be that many sparks, so the guy could track them down. Plus, being greeted by god would be a pretty affirming vision for these guys.
>>
>>53051549
I'm a bit of an Eldrazi fag and have been looking for scans of the BFZ block book. Thanks for the scan, mate. I hope one day I come across the complete digital version
>>
>>53051756

Yeah, for the most part Gideon didn't think the Gatewatch should get involved in planar politics but the organization is designed to combat extraplanar threats and a planeswalker waltzing into a plane, taking over a position of power in the government, and using that to cause civil unrest while he stole from the locals is an extraplanar threat. The gatewatch isn't so much meddling on Kaladesh as assisting the locals in REMOVING a meddler and restoring the original state of affairs, minus one or two corrupt officers.
>>
>>53053024
This is probably a hole in Wizard's explanation, desu.

I believe not everybody is fit to face the trials and thus are condoned to live an ordinary life;
>>
>>53042302
>>53053064
>Bolas betting on 1:100,000,000,000 odds to find one Planeswalker
Sounds familiar somehow.
Holy crap I can't find that gif of Pailsen taking off his shades anywhere why is it so hard to find
>>
>>53046786
>I much prefer the idea of the players being the only planeswalkers.
That was never a thing.
>>
File: Scan_20160105 (5).png (6MB, 1673x2239px) Image search: [Google]
Scan_20160105 (5).png
6MB, 1673x2239px
>>53053175
yeah i have a few more. I just couldn't do the entire thing at the time. Let me see if I can find the emrakul section.
>>
>>53053024
>>53053212
"The trial of motherhood" is probably one of the green gods trials for women on the plane or something.
>>
>>53053520
Thanks bud, you are being my hero today.
>>
>>53053520

...Really, I remember reading this passage and then wondering why the fuck EMN seemed to push Zombies as the Emrakul-counter when elementals are obviously the best in-universe thing to fight her with.
>>
File: IMG_0727.jpg (264KB, 750x671px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0727.jpg
264KB, 750x671px
>>53042636
We can't ignore the mundane skills of these zombies. You could wipe out most of the population, replace missing labor with Anointed, and rebuild it into another Bolas-worshipping plane. These are kid-friendly zombies, in-universe. This is quality villainy, folks.

>>53043516
Does anybody else recall Agyrem? Ravnica's meta-plane, a city of the dead partially controlled by Orzhova. Maybe Bolas fashioned a mini-plane within Amonket, siphoning an unbelievable amount of nonblack mana into a preparation zone, simultaneously leaving the rest of the plane a wasteland.

I predict Djeru and Samut as the only potential planeswalkers. Djeru will be Bolas's first loyal minion, but not his last. I think his long-term is cultural terraform and creating more Infinite Fun Space for his personal pleasure, and the agony and worship of as much raw sentience as possible. Remember: S&M isn't about seeking or causing pain - it is about seeking definition through pain.
>>
>>53053881
Because EMN was told from Liliana's POV basically and Innistrad is short on Elementals. Technically Geists would be the best thing Innistrad had to fight Emrakul with.
And they were, since the humans were bonding with them like Inovocation of Saint Traft to be otherwise resistant to Emrakul's influence.
>>
>>53046366
I feel dumb now. Do the other four really have masks? They could be tainted with that blue lazotep the Anointed are mining, the stuff that imprints on initiates during trials (the cartouches) and lets Anointed retain skills and follow rules.

Mind control rocks, baby.
>>
File: Rebel-Alliance.png (3MB, 1227x1388px) Image search: [Google]
Rebel-Alliance.png
3MB, 1227x1388px
>>53053808
No Problem, its my pleasure.

Like I said, I'd like to give the whole book a big scan through, but I don't have the machinery to do it well.

Basically I wind up cutting out the middle six inches of each two page spread off of my current scanner. So I'd like to try bringing the books to my uni's book scanner (assuming it does stuff in color.)
>>
>>53054111

It sucks about what happened to the angels and the wolfir, but at least the humans have spirits to stop the vampires and demons from just murdering them all over the next year now.

I know that nobody ever found out about the existence of other worlds on Innistrad, but I still thought it was interesting that a very common Zendikari sentiment about the Eldrazi was "make it go away! It can be someone else's problem!" While Emrakul's emergence on Innistrad prompted the humans that were not taken to take one look at it and go "I don't know what that thing is but we're going to kill it or die trying."
>>
>>53053881
Elementals kinda point to a plane needing some Kozidick, imo - Zendikar was in need of dry cleaning. Mana constructs charging furiously at Eldrazi and being dispassionately eaten seems like the natural way of things.

Innistrad is a dense place, but it clearly wasn't out of wack mana-wise. Since Emrakul (glorious is Our name) is one with all life, there's no point in her trying to splooge on a plane which isn't barren. She said it herself - inchoate, out-of-time/place, eldritch masturbation.
>>
>>53041653
really poodles your noodle
>>
>>53054217
>a very common Zendikari sentiment about the Eldrazi was "make it go away! It can be someone else's problem!"
This wasn't actually true, only one person thought this, and it was Anowon.

Yes, even Nissa didn't believe that would work at first until after she broke the eldrazi seal, then she claimed that that was what she was doing instead of admitting she was just spiting Sorin.

The overwhelming Zendikari opinion was "How the fuck do we kill these things?" for a year.

Also, it's important to not that Emrakul basically fucked Innistrad up for either a week to a few hours, not sure which. We saw everything on Innistrad banding together. On Zendikar, that phase was over months ago, which is why they were seemed more "fuck it, we'll call it a win"

To bring history in this, WW2 was going on for quite a while by the time America joined in, all fresh and bright eyed and not having it's infrastructure torn to shit, while the rest of Europe was starting to get sick of this shit.

Europe is Zendikar, America is Innistrad, and WW2 in general was the eldrazi.
>>
File: Scan_20170503.png (980KB, 819x1117px) Image search: [Google]
Scan_20170503.png
980KB, 819x1117px
>>53053808
Here's that other half of that Emrakul page. Swore I scanned it yonks ago but couldn't find it anywhere so scanned it again.

Like I said, this "Middle bit" doesn't get scanned just due to my scanners size. But I'll try and find you one more emrakul thing while i'm at it.
>>
>>53054217
Avacyn's church was cool and all, but now we have GW Humans, WU Spirits, UB Zombies, BR Vampires, and RG Werewolves. Sorin got BTFO and the Vampires lost some power and organization, right? Place is balanced until Emmie finishes whatever she's doing to whatever is trapped in the moon with her (big Helvault, right?). Kinky shit is going on up there.
>>
File: Scan_20170503 (2).png (1MB, 850x1169px) Image search: [Google]
Scan_20170503 (2).png
1MB, 850x1169px
>>53053808
And here you go, 5/6ths of her glorious first spread in Innistrad.
>>
>>53045288
>SJW pandering

I dunno, I mean Amonket seems like you can sum it's story up as
>"A group of White folk come to tell a plane full of brown people that their culture is barbaric and evil and proceed to save them from themselves"

It seems more like the kind of thing the SJWs would label problematic and flood Wizards' with hate-mail and death threats over.
>>
File: jacetice league.png (3MB, 1655x2211px) Image search: [Google]
jacetice league.png
3MB, 1655x2211px
>>53041527
>yet another "Jacewatch leads brave vibrant PoC to rise up against the oppressive whateverarchy" episode
Change the channel, Marge, it's a rerun.
>>
>>53054376

I dunno. Humanity very nearly went extinct when Avacyn was gone for a year, and now Avacyn's gone forever, as is literally every angel except Sigarda. Demons are, as far as we know, still impossible to kill permanently and the way to seal them has been lost, and the human population of Innistrad is at least as decimated as the vampires with the added problem that their leadership collapsed entirely during this catastrophe.

Humans will pull through because there needs to be an Innistrad 3 for sales, but EMN really painted them into such a corner I'm expecting serious retcons to explain how humanity didn't become an all-you-can-eat buffet over the next in-game year.
>>
>>53054412
>Literally none of that happened this story.
So you just come into threads to complain then?
>>
>>53054393
Really didn't even see that view. That said their culture was made up by some rich tyrant to entertain said rich tyrant.

So honestly my mind went to hunger games. Or battle royale if one likes being less wrong.
>>
>>53054448
>So you just come into threads to complain then?
Yes. What, you expect me to read this garbage? I paid real money for Quest for Karn, they're not going to jew me out of more of my time until they hire actual writers again. The storyline's been shit since Lorwyn.
>>
>>53054465
>I didn't read it or anything I just want to bitch about it!

4chan in a nutshell
>>
>>53054465
Seems like a sad waste of your life to me. Oh well, if all you have going is whining about the story to a card game that you don't like that's your problem.
>>
>>53054500
Takes all of five seconds to type up a post. Much less than it takes for you to waste reading and caring about some of the worst fantasy writing ever committed to webpage. But hey, whatever makes you feel like this shit's worthwhile.
>>
>>53053182
Did the story ever get in to how he even managed to get into that position of power to begin with?
>>
File: Pissed off Black Women.png (159KB, 736x295px) Image search: [Google]
Pissed off Black Women.png
159KB, 736x295px
>>53054393
http://www.gatheringmagic.com/mikelinnemann-05032017-amonkhet-art-review/

trust me that stupid women they got to "consult" noticed
>>
>>53052961
The previous two generations may not have been as urgent to get the trials done ASAP. This batch is because GOTTA DO IT BEFORE YOU CAN'T!
No time for babies when the God-Pharoah is ALMOST HERE and you need to prove that you're worthy before that.
>>
>>53054515
The main difference being that I don't spend all my time angry at nothing.
>>
>>53054522

Do it like Wizards and don't think too hard about it.
>>
>>53054522

Not particularly, but Bolas is a mind mage of considerable skill on top of being a fucking dragon and Tezzeret has a year or two unaccounted for after the Phyrexians tried to kill him if I'm remembering the timeline right.

I'm guessing Bolas mind-woogied a passport for Tezzeret to just step onto the plane like he owned the place and from there being a plainly brilliant artificer with his alien metal arm let him become the chief judge of the fair, at which point he engineered an emergency to take charge of the Consulate in general while stealing all the inventions.

Some people have noted the consulate symbol bears a certain resemblance to Bolas's head viewed a certain way, which does lend some credibility to the notion Bolas may have cultivated agents in Kaladesh's government as one of his many side-projects. The guy gets around.
>>
File: file.png (178KB, 702x702px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
178KB, 702x702px
>>53054386
sorry about all this innistrad/eldrazi posting. But the idea of a emrakul two page spread was a fun idea.

I'm sorry.
>>
>>53054522
Literally magic.
Chandra is an ultra-powerful freak on Kaladesh that needs to be contained because she can light your cigar for you without technology. Imagine what Tezzeret or Bolas could do there.
>>
>>53054570
I N N O V A T I O N

no but really that's how it works right

we just need Strong Honest Philosopher Kings with no black mana in their casting cost
>>
>>53054376
If anything Olivia owns Innistrad now and she's not one to avoid gorging on earthly pleasures and frivolities.
>>
>>53054393
>>"A group of White folk come to tell a plane full of brown people that their culture is barbaric and evil and proceed to save them from themselves"
But that's pretty much everything SJWs do when they're not pestering whitey.
>>
>>53054211
such heavy tits
hnnnhgh
>>
>>53054550
>gideon isn't a "person of color"
>chanrdra (brown mother featured all over last set) not a person of color
what is the point?
>>
>>53054609
Is there anything else on Emrakul in the Innistrad book?
>>
>>53054550
I read that.
She was also pissed that something wasn't diverse enough because a card that showed all black people had the focus character (who is front and center and more in the light) have slightly lighter brown skin than the others, and that's horrible.
Not that there should be nonblacks, but that one shade of brown being not as dark was Bad.
>>
>>53054930
There's a few more nice pics of her. Rising out of the Drown Yard, going to the moon. one reused pic from Battle For Zendikar of Kozilek and Ulamog.

But a lot of it is to deal with the stuff that's been messed up by her, or rather how her corruption works. Has a nice series of illustrations that demonstrate examples of "stages" of emrakul's corruption.

it also went into detail about the "tribes" of horrors in each province of innistrad,basically telling you where the wet sticky icky types lived, compared to the angels, to the dronepack and etc.

again I'd have to give it a good read.
>>
File: theendofanempire.jpg (59KB, 480x262px) Image search: [Google]
theendofanempire.jpg
59KB, 480x262px
>>53054964
It's a complaint on the most asinine level. I wanted just Egyptian not a ton of Nubian. What I hate about Niggers like her, is that she has put her in the position to make up complete bullshit rules of what's offense or not, and WotC was stupid enough to let that happen. Fat bitch just eats her pain away since daddy left her years ago.
>>
>>53054426
Every surviving human has merged with a spirit or turned into an eldrazi. Just from that alone you can tell they are fine, wotc has no problem stealing ideas from popular frachises and there happens to be a 30 year old franchise where all the main characters are ghosty boys and they have to fight vampires.
Fucking knights from new benalia looked like sven a year after dota 2 came out. Look when stardust crusaders ended and then look at soi's release date, Innistrad is weaboo standworld now.
>>
File: 1480297782816.jpg (55KB, 434x434px) Image search: [Google]
1480297782816.jpg
55KB, 434x434px
>>53055171
> Look when stardust crusaders ended and then look at soi's release date, Innistrad is weaboo standworld now.

I am very ok with that.
>>
>>53055171
I want a Sorin alter with Dio instead of edgybloodsucker
>>
>>53054964
Niggers will nigg.
They're impossible to please, and SJWs by extension of being turbocucks, are impossible to pelase as well.
>>
Haven't read any story stuff since mid-Innistrad, friend of mine told me that apparently Gideon and Chandra have shown interest in each other.

Was he shitting me or are they actually shipping those two?
>>
>>53055614
that shits from when wotc printed books, the new hotness is chandraXnissa.
>>
>>53055614
Gideon and Chandra were right about to fuck in a dungeon in the book Gideon was introduced in, until a vampire interrupted them.
But that was before SJWs took over WotC, now every female character is lesbians, wants Jace's cock exclusively, or both.
>>
>>53055273
>>
File: DIO THIS PLEASES MY WORLD.jpg (45KB, 436x719px) Image search: [Google]
DIO THIS PLEASES MY WORLD.jpg
45KB, 436x719px
>>53055273

I am more than fine with this.
>>
>>53053493
I meant represented in the game.
>>
>>53054386
>the bit at the top
B-bolas??
>>
>>53041629
Zendikar was a blasted, but healing ruin after the Gatewatch left. Prior to their Gatewatching the plane was on track to being eaten alive. Pyrric victory, but the end result with Gatewatch was better than without.

Innistrad was fucked up by Nahiri summoning Emrakul, but then Emrakul used Tamiyo's uber scroll to seal itself inside the moon. The Gatewatch (well, mostly Liliana's Zombie army) saved some lives by fighting the monsters but overall didn't affect the outcome. Sorin notably probably saved a lot of lives by Anguished Unmaking Avacyn.

Kaladesh was a powder keg waiting to blow and Tezzeret was a big giant fuse shoved into it. Something was going to light it and it just happened to be Chandra. The plane ended up just fine (maybe better off?) after the Gatewatch got involved and if anything is going to doom the plane, it's going to be the non-planeswalker who made the planar portal.

Amonkhet was raped and molested by Bolas to such an extreme extent, if the Gatewatch totally destroys the place it'll be a mercy killing.

All that being said, if Ugin's theory was right and the Eldrazi turn out to be somehow crucial to the ecosystem of the multiverse, the Gatewatch may have doomes everyone everywhere for all time by killing the Eldrazi rather than trapping them like Ugin wanted.

Ultimate the score is:

Chandra: 1
Liliana: 1
Gatewatch as a whole: 3

Nahiri: 1
Sorin: -1
Universe: 0
Emrakul: 0

Nicol Bolas: Keikaku.
>>
>>53056411
Emerakul is fine, she can rebuild her race and replace kozilek and ulamog. Tazri became a sentient eldrazi titan in
the timeline before her angels cur... something or other kicked in and reversed time.
>>
File: thalia 5.jpg (404KB, 1280x935px) Image search: [Google]
thalia 5.jpg
404KB, 1280x935px
>>53055273
>>53055171
>>53055675
>tfw Thalia now has her Stand Saint Traft
>>
>>53041965
Technically she just demanded a heart. They could have offered up a poisonous snake heart or something.
>>
>>53056526
how are you gonna explain that to Rhonas later though
>>
>>53056572
>trial instructions unclear; accidentally got dick stuck in ceiling fan. please advise.
>>
Trials are color-based, basicaly.

Blue seems to attack your mind. In-game this is represented by milling. The trial of knowledge is a mill deck.

Black cheats in a cheap demon early and tries to kill people over and over. The trial of ambition is dark ritual and spammed doom blades.

Green presumably is just a ton of creatures.

Red is "I ping you for 20. GG."
>>
>>53056688
It's heavily implied Otreka's trial was tower defense. New gamemode when?
>>
>>53056855
Its called horde
>>
>>53056866
I meant an actual tower defense gamemode where you have to actually take control of 'towers' or whatever.
>>
File: 55933_200w.jpg (26KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
55933_200w.jpg
26KB, 200x285px
>>53055675
>tfw they already made a card with stand mechanics
>>
>>53056855
Oketra's trial is a wierd capture the flag type thing. You have to retrieve her arrow while protecting your tower. It's about resource management.
>>
>>53056988
Do we know what they're protecting their tower from?
Oketra can summon warriors but sending actual people at initiates doesn't sound very white - does she use the annointed maybe?
>defending a tower against waves of potentially your dead family
>>
>>53056878
>he doesnt have tutors for his towers
>>
File: iE4LEzc[1].jpg (35KB, 614x430px) Image search: [Google]
iE4LEzc[1].jpg
35KB, 614x430px
>>53055614
Chandra only had a crush on Gideon because he was hot but since then she's fallen for Nissa who told her she's too autistic for fuggs right now.

Gideon still has a hardon for Chandra though but at this point I think Chandra feels too "safe" with him to feel the same way.

>>53055082
>It's a complaint on the most asinine level. I wanted just Egyptian not a ton of Nubian
Egyptians have no trouble being black, this whole obsession with skin color is all American politics.
>>
>>53057223
Where did you get that hour of devastation leak? Do you work at wotc?
>>
>>53056688
If the magic duels campaign is anything to go by, you're not that far off at all.
>>
>>53056526
>>53056572
>>53056638
>>53056638
It wasn't a blue trial, but a black one (where cheating is expected)
>you didn't ask for a human heart you cunt
>>
>>53055171

Not all humans mergered with a spirit. Some of them stayed sane thanks to being an iron willed badass (Rem Karolus) or because of love (Lesbian Werewolf Hunters Technically one of them stayed sane to willpower, while the other stayed sane because of love). Also some of the other humans (Gisa and Geralf, scientists like Thermo-Alchemist) weren't affected, neither were some werewolves who fought along surviving humans in the art.
>>
>>53059704
Well, with the scientists and the like, Im not sure if "sane" is the right word.
>>
>>53054343
>>53054386
You are my favorite anon from now on; Thank you very much for the scans
>>
>>53051634
hope not. Part of Ashiok's appeal is that we have no clue what the fuck it actually is
>>
>>53054522
The Ajani story mentions that he invested an awful lot of money to secure his position
>>
>>53060028
"Yes, yes, memetic horror from beyond the stars, that's nice. Now bug off, I've got zombies to make."
>>
>>53056526
She also said
"The Hours draw nigh. Your numbers are too great. Pay the toll, or fall short and perish."

So it was expected to off your teammates.
>>
File: IMG_7299.jpg (91KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7299.jpg
91KB, 312x445px
>>53060028
>>53060845

I think the Flavortext on Thermo-Alchemist sums it up.
>>
>>53055171

>"Be careful, Thalia!" Traft murmured as the swords levitated and turned to aim at Thalia. "I don't sense a demonic presence–this must be the work of an enemy geist!"
>>
>>53055614

Chandra does still have running commentary that indicates she's still attracted to Gideon or at least thinks he's sexy.

As of "Burn" Gideon was tempted to tell Chandra he loves her but chose not to because it was really not the right time to unpack those feelings.
>>
>>53062365
Isn't this literally the mechanics behind laboratory maniac? Rather than going mad from trying to think more thoughts than you have, you instead achieve genius and instantly succeed?
>>
>>53059704
Man I totally forgot about Rem. I really enjoyed all his stuff, seeing someone so badass simply because they were a badass was really enjoyable.
>>
Quick,

name a character who could actually impose a challenge to the gatewatch/Bolas in canon that's actually alive.
>>
>>53064080
Garruk
>>
>>53064080

Ugin.

Sorin if he's not being dumb.
>>
>>53064080
Gix
>>
>>53064080
Jin Jan The Augur Man
>>
>>53064146
Sorin is a rock boy now.
>>
File: 1348167841440.jpg (769KB, 1434x1434px) Image search: [Google]
1348167841440.jpg
769KB, 1434x1434px
>>53064209
>yfw Gitaxias goes full dakka
>>
>>53064330

He's only stuck as long as the pain keeps him from concentrating.

Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.
>>
>>53064358
>"Hey Norn, check this shit out."
>"Oh God, what is it now Jin?"
>"So I got drunk last nght and made something magnificent."
>"OH DEAR FATHER WHAT IS THAT?!"
>"It's a Blightsteel Colossus but with two wurmcoil engines for arms and two Gargantua's as legs. I also apparently used a Sword of Fire and Ice as it's penis for some reason."
>>
>>53046847

Would be a neat nod. Phyrexia was made by an unnamed dragon Planeswalker
>>
>>53064080
Didn't Nahiri just completely fuck over a plane without any issue?
>>
>>53065811

Mostly Nahiri just used leyline bullshit to lure a super-monster to the plane to fuck it up FOR her.

Nissa also has leyline bullshit but she doesn't need tools to manipulate it and Lithomancy's capacity to harm Gideon or protect from Jace's powers is limited. Nahiri's strong but the Gatewatch would probably win if they fought.

Bolas, meanwhile, would obliterate pretty much everyone that's not Ugin in a fight.
>>
>>53064412
>sword of fire and ice
>not a batterskull
All you had to do was follow the damn train CJ
>>
>>53065811
Mostly because she was doing so completely unopposed.
Even once Sorin figured out what was going on, instead of doing anything to stop her, he went and tried to get someone else to do it for him.
As well, she also was too bugshit nuts to actually care if she survived what she was doing, as long as Sorin didn't either. And when you're in that kind of state, it's really easy to fuck stuff up.
>>
>>53065902
Arguable, given Nahiri also just beat Sorin in combat, and Sorin was portrayed to be still stronger then most of the gatewatch.
>>
>>53045288
>>53048653
Explain?
>>
>>53065927
>>53065902
I missed most of SoIs story. What is Nahiri doing now?
What is Sorin doing now?
>>
>>53066023

At the end Sorin took Olivia's army to attack Nahiri.

Nahiri surprised sorin with a bunch of cultist/eldrazi monsters.

They fought, Nahiri got the advantage and trapped Sorin in a bunch of rock. The rock is literally stabbing sorin to prevent him from focusing and planeswalking away.

Nahiri seeing emrakul rise, and having sorin trapped ran off.

Nahiri never saw the Emrakul being sealed
>>
>>53066224
>Nahiri never saw the Emrakul being sealed
Doubt she cares if it is or isn't. It's fucked up Sorin's home enough to not really matter.
>>
>>53065918
Yep, I done fucked up son
>>
>>53066619

How is she gonna feel when she finds out that Zendikar survived?
>>
>>53065927

Still, Nahiri chose where the fight would take place, had set up the leylines there specifically so Sorin couldn't use sangromancy to instantly kill her (and couldn't use any of his other magic against her for that matter) and still very nearly died because Sorin's a fucking vampire.

Nahiri only won because she got to fight Sorin in a place she'd prepped so she could use magic and Sorin couldn't, and while hedron bullshit is powerful it's leyline-based and as we've seen Nissa doesn't need tools or prep time to do leyline bullshit. She just can, robbing Nahiri of her only real advantage against the Gatewatch.
>>
>>53070302
Nahiri can win any fight given enough prep time.
>>
>>53070325

Still think she'd lose to either of the dragons.

Ugin can transmute matter into energy so there's not really a damn thing she can do to him since Lithomancy is ROCKS, and Bolas wins because fuck you he's Nicol Bolas.
>>
>>53070342
It's a meme you dip.
>>
File: 9k=.jpg (6KB, 247x204px) Image search: [Google]
9k=.jpg
6KB, 247x204px
>die
>wake up in the plane of unlimited reps, where no one tires and you can hit the gym 24/7
>still be completely devoid of any real character or redeeming qualities, but now you can overhead press a bus

Gideon speaks to me on a very fundamental level
>>
>>53064209
You mean Jin "The Chin" Jan, The Augur Man, Gitaxias?
>>
>>53071858
I bet he has pithing and vivisection fetishes just like dear old dad. Just none of the raw ambition.
>>
>>53055082
Wouldn't surprise me if samut and or djeru become planeswalkers, more vote for samut but she is relavent to the story, and since gideon is about to intervene, I see wotc possibly throwing in a colored pw to the fab 5.
>>
>>53072747
Hes just more cautious, being overly ambitious got papa yawgy in trouble with the cops, they even sent a swat team to raid him.
>>
File: EN_Ashiok_Header.jpg (194KB, 1920x1120px) Image search: [Google]
EN_Ashiok_Header.jpg
194KB, 1920x1120px
>>53042636
>why haven't we seen ANY of them

Yo.
>>
>>53060347
I don't think that was supposed to last forever.
>>
>>53070325
na na na na na
nahiri
>>
How was Hepthys trying to save gideon any different than Gideon trying to save other crop members?
>>
>>53073833
trading your mage for a giant super hunk given to you by a god is a fair trade when you have no worry about death.
>>
>>53073856
No worry about death? Hepthys didn't risk his life fighting some generic monster to save gideon. He fought an Ammit. Those things eat souls. There is no afterlife for those who fall to an Ammit.
>>
>>53073907
They have a culture that readily accepts death and gideon was basically a divine escourt quest given to them before their final trial.
>>
>>53073955
>>53073856
They assumed that he was just the sole survivor of another crop.
>>
>>53074075
Yeah, but he got dumped off on them by oketra and she talked to djeru with her divine telepathy.
>>
>>53054332
I feel like Innistrad banding together rather quickly was just a result of them being used to their fucking world ending. Thalia literally said "Lets take back our apocalypse"
and the Geist mage's apprentice in responds to Liliana saying his world is ending "Yes, mistress. S'what it does around here, mostly."
>>
Two dumb questions from an oldfag getting back into the lore:

Do these new story characters have any idea about the old-school stories like the brothers war or taysir or where the phyrexians even came from? Shit, do the phyrexians even know where they came from?

And I also never got what the scale of a plane really ever meant. Never understood if like... The plane of dominaria was it's own universe, or just a different planet, so I could get into a rocket and fly to kaladesh or mirrodin or whatever.

Kinda changes the scale of stuff like the apocalypse chime.
>>
>>53041653
I think that it was supposed to be apostasy, but for some reason they went with the word heretic. Maybe in a world with one religion, the words are interchangeable.

Also maybe Michael Yichao didn't know it or thought we wouldn't know it and considered us having the trivial (considering modern technology) inconvenience of looking up the word was prohibitive. Perhaps looking up the word would potentially be more disruptive to immersion that using the word heretic wrong.
>>
>>53064412
>Sword of fire and ice for it's penis

It was big. Really, really big. No, bigger than that. Even bigger. Keep going. More. No, more. Look, we're talking krakens and dreadnoughts for jewelry. It was big.
>>
>>53073009
The one that has darker skin will become the planeswalker.
>>
>>53073009
Djeru didn't even get a legendary creature card. I'm guessing Neheb, the Worthy (because "the Worthy") or Samut (because other people suspect Samut).
>>
>>53074734
He hasn't had a legendary creature card but he has been present in the art and flavor text of several cards.
He seems to be too built upon as a character to not either get a planeswalker card or legendary card in Hour of Devastation.
>>
>>53074561

Some have an idea of what phyrexia is. Elspeth and Lili, for example.

Jace knows it vaguely.

Nissa, gideon and chandra porbably have no idea.

Phyrexian, quite amusingly, don't know it
>>
>>53074561
Planes are alternate dimensions that float around in the aether of the blind eternities. You cant fly from one to another in something like a rocket but a dimension breaking portal works. Also planes vary in size. Some planes go on forever in all directions like ravnica and others are small zones like amohnket. Others are the sizes of large countries and more are planet sized like dominaria or zendikar.
>>
What exactly is an Angel? Card mechanics aside, are they creatures? Constructs, like some kind of mana robots that carry out a set of (detailed) programmed instructions? Are they tied to their home plane's mana, or can they become planeswalkers or be moved to other planes by one?

Does WotC or any of the people who write their lore ever say anything concrete about anything that isn't directly related to the planeswalker justice friends?
>>
>>53075880
Angels are constructs of white mana. They cannot have a spark. So no, they cannot become planes walkers.
>>
File: Angel_of_Invention.jpg (77KB, 600x452px) Image search: [Google]
Angel_of_Invention.jpg
77KB, 600x452px
>>53076017
That's what I thought. Does any sufficiently powerful white mana construct end up being an angel no matter what plane it's created on? Kaladesh has these very mechanical ones that aren't Artifact Creatures.
>>
>>53076017
>constructs cannot have sparks
Wrog desu ne
>>
>>53076136
Very well. They cannot be created WITH a Spark. Karn is the obvious exception to constructs having Sparks, because neither of the sparks he has is his own originally, both came to him from outside means.

Which I am sure you know, and are just being an asshole over for shits and giggles.
>>
>>53076128

It's the other way around, if you leave a lot of white mana lying around it eventually manifests as an angel
>>
>>53057027
That could be what in Oketra's name represents. Then again I was sure it was angels, but ive no idea where I read that.
>>
>>53076305
That makes a lot more sense. Thanks mate.

Now I'm imagining some grumpy wizard somewhere periodically stuffing angels into a closet as the mana he has laying around randomly assembles itself into them.
>>
>>53074734
Neheb was made 'worthy' by Hazoret. He died. It's the plot of Amonkhet's Duels Campaign.
>>
File: IMG_5209.jpg (56KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5209.jpg
56KB, 640x360px
>>53076323
I remembered. It was in the Duels campaign.
>>
>>53073009
But Liliana is already black
:^)
>>
File: IMG_5212.jpg (234KB, 594x989px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5212.jpg
234KB, 594x989px
>>53076128
It's just armour. Check the DnD supplements.
>>
File: Hazoret the Pervert.png (363KB, 423x750px) Image search: [Google]
Hazoret the Pervert.png
363KB, 423x750px
Any of the Amonkhet lore worth reading yet?
>>
>>53076136
>>53076163
I could see them doing some lore BS to give us an Angel Plainswalker, but knowing Nu-WotC they will make her black because black equals diverse.
>>
>>53076817
All the stories have been decent to be honest. I didn't like the Chandra/Nissa one but they're still worth reading.
>>
>>53076339
>>53076128
>>53075880
They're constructs of white mana that usually end up embodying certain aspects of white, just as you've got demons embodying different parts of black.
>>
>>53045351
What haircolor does your "girlfriend" have this week?
>>
>>53075184 >>53074561
Jace doesn't know about them at all, actually, unless he just recently found out about them by reading deep into Ajani's mind.
Liliana knows due to being from Dominaria. You don't come from that hellhole without knowing about Phyrexians.
Ajani knows, due to Elspeth.
It is unknown what Elspeth knows about oldschool Phyrexians - it's most likely her plane was one still under their control rather than somehow being conquered MORE QUICKLY than Mirrodin post-Apocalypse, but who knows if they still venerate the Ineffable or know their own origin beyond their name at this point.
Of all the walkers, only Bolas and maaaaybe Lilliana might know about the Brother's War. It just isn't relevant to most of them honestly, since most haven't even BEEN to Dominaria, or if they have it's been to visit the apocalyptic wasteland where said war is just one horrible apocalyptic war amongst many.
>>
>>53076911
It's honestly more likely they'll turn Elspeth into an angel.
>>
>>53075184
>Phyrexian, quite amusingly, don't know it

They know that Yawgmoth existed and that they came from another plane. More specifically Jin-Gitaxias knows.
>>
>>53077505

Jace was told by lilian in very vague terms if I recall.

Elspeth was from a plane still under phyrexian dominion (speculated to be what's left of Serra's Realm)

Every dominarian knows about the brother's war. Hell, Urza and Mishra are tought in terms of myths, it would be like the Troian Wars
>>
File: Generic Eldrazi.png (986KB, 680x750px) Image search: [Google]
Generic Eldrazi.png
986KB, 680x750px
Anybody got that fanart of the eldrazified Tazri from her Kozilek-induced future?
>>53077038
You said that about Kaladesh too, but after reading some of it with chandra, I really doubt any lore of it and Amonkhet are worth it
>>
>>53077633
>speculated to be what's left of Serra's Realm
Serra's Realm is now a D cell battery
>>
>>53076911

Jesus christ, people.

Here we have an near infinite multiverse, populated by all manner of fantasy peoples and mythological races, and LITERALLY EVERY TIME someone, whether it be a named character or av3 pixel tall extra in the background of some card art, has a skin tone a single shade darker than 'white as the driven snow', you throw a tantrum.
>>
Innistrad will be fine, because Thalia has become a being that somewhat rivals even Avacyn, utlizing the amazing powers of her stand [Saint Traft] she, with a little effort killed "Brisela"

now, to compete in this new arms race, Olivia, will have to get her stand akin to THE WORLD and they will fight an epic battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp5Ctx4ZabE
>>
>>53078523
we really need Thalia drawn in Jojo style with Traft behind her.
>>
>>53076017
We already have a Demon walker. What makes them different from Angels in how sparks operate?
>>
File: 18[1].jpg (69KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
18[1].jpg
69KB, 312x445px
>>53077633
I'm not sure that was still the case post-Apocalypse throughout the entire plane, thus the 'maybe' on Liliana rather than a definite.
Elspeth is from an as-yet unknown world. It's not Serra's Realm, since Serra's Realm was used to power the Weatherlight, and all components of the Weatherlight are now part of Karn. As well, it was chosen to power the Weatherlight because at the time it was already on the verge of collapsing, with Serra having left the place and it being an artificial plane
>>
>>53076017
My Fan Theory (aka worthless, baseless speculation) regarding Elspeth is that she's going to somehow resurrect and ascend to godhood with an angel motif, then smite the FUCK out of the other gods and take over, ruling Theros with a monotheistic hegemony. If you're noticing the Christianity parallels, exactly.
>>
>>53078823
Ob was a human at one point, the Chain Veil made him a demon.
>>
>>53079100
she'd rather fuck off after than and start smiting the denizens of Grixis and new Phyrexia.

but the Angel thing is probably spot on, fits the trope of Bant Hero's coming back as angels, and since she isn't fully dead her "coming back" would mean she could keep her spark.

we DO need a hero to rival the power of Bolas in some aspects, as he greatly outclasses anyone, and Elspeth was already a powerhouse before this theoretical transformation.
>>
>>53079100
Didn't Ajani already made a stab at Theros gods?

Also Elspeth taking all the colours to become single god of Theors gonna be hard.
>>
>>53078823
Obby is a human who was turned into a demon. He didn't start out as a demon, it's just the shape/form he wears.
>>
>>53079775
Elspeth is nowhere near Bolas though. Literally the only walker who seems even in his weight class is Ugin, and Bolas still out powers the guy.
>>
>>53078823

Ob was an oldwalker, he just oliked being a demon (or, in later canon, the veil made him so).

Once the mending struck he remained demonic in apperence
>>
>>53080176

We actually aren't sure about who's stronger between the two.

They fought on Ugin's home turf, so he had some advantage there, but unusually, Bolas refused to fight Ugin straight-up, only initiating battle when he could ambush him with an agent on site to intervene if Ugin got the upper hand.

I think this is the ONLY time we've seen Bolas uncertain that he could win a battle with another planeswalker without anyone's help.
>>
>>53080176
I thought it was more like Bolas out'JUSTASPLANNED' Ugin, as apposed to overpowering him.
>>
>>53077629
>Jim Jan the chin man knows

Apocalypse round 2 featuring a reborn yawgie when?
>>
>>53081126
Yawgmoth is dead. Dead dead dead. The only way Yagmoth is coming back is via supplemental product, which will show Yawgmoth before he died, not as having come back.
He is gone. It is best this way.
Same with Urza.
The Raven Man is not Urza. The Raven Man is not Yawgmoth.
Neither of them are coming back to life.
>>
>>53081590
If Mishra can come back as Rashmi then anything is possible
>>
>>53081590
The Raven Man is Urzas and Yagmoths son
>>
>>53080369
He might not have been stronger for certain then, but he probably is now. Ugin just woke up from a coma, Bolas has the Conflux and who knows what else that he picked up in the meantime.
>>
>>53080018
Ajani is laying the foundation. When he was last on Theros, he was deifying Elspeth, and denigrati and sowing distrust of the establish pantheon. And since Therosian gods' power lies in their devotion... You can see where this is going.
>>
File: file.png (464KB, 1151x862px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
464KB, 1151x862px
>>53078550
Ask and thou shalt receive.
>>
>>53082321
>>53081590
The Raven Man is clearly Gix
>>
>>53083222
Damn Son
>>
>>53083222
That's really cool, good work!
>>
>>53083642
How would Gix follow Lilly across the planes.
>>
>>53083222
Niceu, anon.
>>
>>53078052
I am the anon you responded to, here my thing about Wizards new diversity push. 1. Wizards are doing the same black = diverse. I find Egypt women attractive and yet I soul say we have more black than Egyptian in the Egyptian world. 2. The real issues which is the blatant pandering. WofC ignores lore and logic to just pander. Chandra is now half Indian even though she's pale white. Apparently Inndistrad had black vampires and angels. They get an consultant for the female black plainswalker. Its plain and simple pandeing
>>
>>53085899
You forgot the first block to not have a black planeswalker had the afore mentioned consultant calling wotc racist.
>>
>>53085899

>Chandra is now half Indian even though she's pale white

Probably to explain how the fuck a girl who looks Irish has an Indian first and last name, since they can't change her name or appearance due to her visibility as a character.

>Apparently Innistrad had black vampires and angels

Vampires are humans who turned into vampires, and Innistrad has black and asian humans. No contradiction exists here. Angels on Innistrad look like the people of the plane, and indeed if Call to Serve is any indication some of them WERE human at one point. Again, no contradiction exists.

Neither of your first two examples are illogical. Kaya needing a consultant is strange, because Kaya's race is not an element of her character at all compared to being a ghostbuster. But more likely the consultant on her art depiction was just to avoid another debacle like Kiora's surname turning out to be a term that has religious/spiritual connotations in the Maori language, which pissed some people off.

I'd argue Chandra being half-indian and coming from a plane based on colonial India isn't pandering, it's just pulling some backstory out to make her name make some fucking sense. Before that little tidbit it wasn't that far off from if you had some freckled ginger guy named Yoshihama Masakado walking around.
>>
>>53085899
I don't think Wizard's is just doing black = diverse.

Wizard's quest for diversity isn't bound to human ethnicities.

Narset is high functioning autistic, Alesha is trans, and Daretti needs a wheel chair.
>>
>>53087293
Also, I assume Ashiok identifies as agender.
>>
>>53087323

I've always been a little fuzzy if that's an identity thing on Ashiok's part or if the effects nightmare magic...or whatever it is that happened to their head just means they don't have a gender anymore and don't care. Or if that's a significant difference.
>>
>>53055635
In no particular order:
I'm pretty sure Lilly considers Gideon eye candy. Also some exploitable tool to use to kill her literal demons to get out of her remaining faustian pacts.
>>
>>53087293
Aww. I like Daretti, don't tell me they only made him to appease retards.
>>
>>53087863

Jesus Christ, dude, if a prerequisite for you liking a character is that someone on tumblr can't also like them you're not going to enjoy much in life.
>>
>>53087863
Daretti is a cripple because its a classic inventor trope you mong. The guys story was him killing his deceptive evil black pupil, that alone can tell you that he wasnt made for diversities sake. The other hint is that hes a fucking goblin.
>>
>>53084801
He got thrown into a Planar gate and left in the blind eternities
>>
>>53086321
What block was that? SOI?
>>
>>53087090
That's fair about Chandra, what I don't get is that in Origins Kaladesh is portrayed having Indian, white, blacks, and Asians,with Indians being the majority. But then when we get to the block its just Indians wit the only two white people being Braal a villain and Chandra's dead dad. It just seemed sloppy way to explain the story. The orgins set up was fine, or at least you could have made the dad a walker so he could have been the only white guy since he was from another plane.
>>
>>53088608
How the hell did he survive that?

Also the Raven Man was with lilly before her spark ignited, so it's not like while she was going through the blind eternities he latched onto her like a leech sticking to someone that goes into a river.
>>
>>53088813
>How the hell did he survive that?
Not him, but it's never been con firmed if he was alive or dead. He's probably dead but he's the only original Phyrexian enemy, aside from Mishra, who's death isn't certain
>>
>>53041527
WotC already told us that all the amonkhet gods have the opposite gender of their color equivalent theros counterpart.
>>
>>53088701
It was conspiracy 2 for kaya, sorry i misread and thought u were the daretti guy. Im at work.
>>
>>53086321
citation?
>>
File: Thalia.png (461KB, 1874x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Thalia.png
461KB, 1874x1600px
>>53078550
Did that shit a while back.
>>
File: Traft.png (462KB, 1921x1497px) Image search: [Google]
Traft.png
462KB, 1921x1497px
>>53089518
In addition...
>>
>>53089518
>>53089533

>Olivia narrowly avoided the angelic swordstroke, but she gave Thalia a smile that was all teeth.
>"Your geist-magic avails you not! It's useless!" She laughed madly, unleashing a flurry of sword-strokes Thalia rushed to match. "USELESS! USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS USELESS!"
>>
>>53089199
http://www.gatheringmagic.com/mikelinnemann-05032017-amonkhet-art-review/
>So, there’s something that could be said about the elephant in the room, the ancient Egyptian-ness of it all. That could be the subject of another post entirely, particularly the fact that as of where we are right now in the story, there’s no person of color in the group of Planeswalkers that are trying to save other people of color. But I’d like to wait until the entire story is published before revealing any thoughts about it. What we’re here to discuss is the picture at hand.
First, let me say that the artistry of the piece is great, but.... the lack of diversity in the characters
>>
>>53090234
And then there's the joy of 'it's great that you've got a lot of black people (because that's what diversity means), but it's practically racist to have the one being focused be a lighter shade of brown than the others'
>>
>>53090234
>>53086321
when you said first block, I assumed you mean Lorwyn (the first block with planeswalkers). Did you mean first set?
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.