[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does tg think about...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 24

File: wt2-cover.jpg (129KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
wt2-cover.jpg
129KB, 612x792px
Wild talents 2nd edition? I want to run a supers campaign, and i was told it was better than mutants and masterminds. I've been reading the book, but I'm not really seeing it.

curious what you guys think
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Qo07nKlxUlejBfbmdVb2FCM0E/view?usp=sharing
>>
no one cares, fuck off
>>
I've been playing Wild Talents weekly for about three years now. It's by a wide margin my favorite system. What sort of game are you looking for?
>>
>>53042792
a mix between stalker and worm, but generally realistic post apocalypse with super powers. Not exactly dark, but high consequence and.. well not realism, but believable?
>>
Oh, and very low power to start, ends with very high power. I'd like to do relatively creative powers, and this does seem like something this system would handle well
>>
>>53042892
I'm unfamiliar with Worm, but Wild Talents should work smashingly for a gritty, high-consequence system. It's actually a sequel to a game called Godlike, which is a supers game set during WWII where powers arise from individuals being thrust into extremely trauamatic situations (a lot of American "talents", for instance, acquired powers that saved them from being killing in naval engagements in the Pacific). Both systems are, by default, high-lethality: being shot in the head without armor will, at the very least, put you out of commission immediately from even a glancing blow, and automatic weapons are your worst nightmare.

Moreover, the system is best when focusing on normal folks who gain a single power with very clear rules and limits. It can handle Superman and Green Lantern, but it's a lot more fun when it's more grounded. And characters can become extremely powerful with enough dice in the right places.
>>
>>53042900
Making creative powers is exactly what Wild Talents excels at. Here are some examples of powers that have been used in my group:

>Acquiring DNA and transforming your appearance, Animorphs style (with a built in 2-hour limit)
>Releasing floating bubbles from your hands that numb any muscles they contact
>Turning your body into smoke to move, avoid attacks and enter people's lungs to suffocate them
>A telepath who inflicts damage by causing a person's body to remember physical trauma its experienced in the past
>A person who can track the location of any metal object he's touched
>A character who creates an impenetrable force field at a radius of 15 feet from her body, trapping anything inside
>...who's teamed up with another character that can psychically buff and heal allies, turning encounters against them into brutal cage matches.

As well as your standard super-strength, super-speed, laser vision, flight, etc... The flexibility of the system is basically endless.

The trick is that it takes some experience to dial in the actual strength of certain powers and abilities. It's extremely cheap, for instance, to give a character a power that allows them to inflict firearms-level damage at will with no drawbacks. So the cost of a power isn't always commensurate with its impact on the game.
>>
>>53042972
>>53043146
ok cool thats exactly what I'd like to go for.

Could I ask questions on how to build powers? The whole system is a bit complicated
>>
>>53043319
Sure, hit me.
>>
>>53043335
cool ok,

so a power i was thinking of is basically a dude that makes these crystals right?

they're about the size of a baseball, and they draw in water in about a 20 ft radius. they can desiccate living things in about a minute or so.

At any point he can "detonate" these crystals, creating shrapnel that has a mini version of the water leech. the shrapnel can NOT detonate again.the explosion and amount of shrapnel scales up to a maximum based on the amount of water absorbed.

after an hour all crystals just become salt, and he can end the effect at any time

would this work in system?
>>
>>53043748
Alright so there are two things you should keep in mind when making powers for Wild Talents. First is to do exactly what you've done: describe the full breadth of the power's effect. Second is that you work backwards: figure out the moving parts that add up to the whole. These moving parts are called "Qualities".

In this case, your power stems from the base ability of "Create Water Crystal." This is a Useful quality, since it does something that's not explicitly an attack or a defense. As a Useful Quality, it has the Mass, Range or Speed capacities as its default. However, since the power affects a mass of water at range, it has both Mass and Range. Each of these Capacities is 2 points.

So here's where we start:

Create Water Crystal (4 pts)
>Useful Mass, Range

Now its effect works at a radius of 20 feet, which means we want to add the Radius Extra for 2 pts. Radius actually works in increments of 15 feet, but precise distances aren't super important in Wild Talents so we'll stretch it and allow it to work at 20 feet. This power is also conditional on there being sufficient water around, so we can add an if/then flaw for -1. Finally, a crystal lasts for 1 hour before turning into salt, so we add Duration+2.

Create Water Crystal (7 pts)
>Useful Mass, Range-- Radius+2, Duration+2, if/then-1(Requires sufficient water supply)

You can choose to specify how much water is needed when you describe its effects, but that won't affect the point cost.

Now there's also another factor in creating Water Crystals, because doing so can also damage living things by draining them of their water. So we add another quality, this time an Attack with the Range capacity (since the fact that it affects an amount of mass in its target is negligable). This allows it to inflict Width in Shock and Killing to its target, a pretty nasty power.

Create Water Crystal (9 pts)
>Useful Mass, Range-- Radius+2, Duration+2, if/then-1(Requires sufficient water supply)
>Attacks Range
>>
>>53044041
Continued
Now, what Extras you add to the Attacks Quality depends on how exactly the power works. The way you described it though, I feel that you could add the Engulf Extra (since it would suck water from its target's entire body, not just a specific limb) and the Non-Physical Extra, since it's not like how much armor you have would really affect the power. I'd also add an if/then flaw specifying that it only affects organic targets, so it wouldn't work on a robot that has no water in it.

It also has the same Radius extra as the Useful function, since it covers the same space. It also has the flaws Attached-2 and Automatic-1. Attached means for the power to work you need to roll another thing, in this case the power's Useful Quality, and Automatic means it goes off immediately. So whenever you roll Create Water Crystal, you roll for both its Useful properties and its Attack property.

Here's what it looks like with those Extras and Flaws:

Create Water Crystal (13 pts)
>Attacks Range-- Radius+2, Engulf+2, Non-Physical+2, if/then-1(only works on organic targets), Attached-2(attack goes off when you roll to create a Water Crystal), Automatic-1 (attack ALWAYS goes off).

For the sake of ease of readibility, let's split "Create Water Crystal" and "Desiccate Living Things" into two "sub-powers"

Create Water Crystal (7 pts)
Desiccate Living Things (4 pts)
>Attacks Range-- Radius+2, Engulf+2, Non-Physical+2, if/then-1(only works on organic targets), Attached-2(attack goes off when you roll to create a Water Crystal), Automatic-1 (attack ALWAYS goes off).

Constructed this way, you can choose either to have those abilities as a single power with two qualities, or as 2 separate powers. The cost will be the same, it's all about whether you want to have a single dice pool or one for each.
>>
>>53044041
is base shock and killing good? like i see thats hand gun level, but like how would this power need the engulf or the area extra? Or are those way overkill here?

also, is non physical attack just straight up better than penetration?
>>
>>53044185
oh sorry i should've clicked update first, didnt see the continuation
>>
>>53044191
Ha, you anticipated some of the extras I suggested!

Base Shock and Killing is good for a power that are clear and present threats on serious enemies. If I were running this character I'd probably tone down the damage to be less lethal, since he can inflict it over a wide area.

Area is a nice alternative to Engulf. The power I'm outlining here is pretty much the most lethal version you can imagine.

Non-Physical is almost always better than Penetration, so the rules suggest giving your players some alternative way to resist that kind of damage. For instance, a telepathic attack might be resisted with Stability.
>>
>>53044238
so what would an alternate resist for the water crystal be? just already be covered in salt?

or would the ability to create large amounts of water overwhelm it? I see theres this capacity chart? does that mean theres a hard limit to how much water the crystal could absorb before it's saturated?
>>
also thank you for being so helpful, i really appreciate it

could you maybe give me a practice power that I could try making? just to see if I've got this down?
>>
>>53044221
No worries!

So with the power as it is now, you roll your dice to suck up all the water in a 15 foot radius, and if there are any juicy targets within that space, you can roll to attack them too.

Now for the second part: the detonation. That's pretty clearly an Attack with the Range capacity, and possibly the Mass Capacity too if you want it to throw people back.

Detonate Leech Crystal (2 pts)
>Attack Range

Right off the bat you can give it Radius+2 and some Area dice, let's say Area+3, since that's how Grenades usually work. Let's also give it Depleted-1 since it consumes your supply of Leech Crystals; no crystals, no explosions.

Detonate Leech Crystal (6 pts)
>Attack Range: Radius+2, Area+3, Depleted-1

Now, here's the real tricky part: there are no real clear rules in Wild Talents for powers that inflict varying amounts of damage. Sometimes this is modeled by giving a power multiple Attack qualities with different damage outputs. This is kind of clumsy, however. What I usually do instead is use the Variable Effect extra, which is sort of a catch-all Extra for powers without rigidly defined effects. Variable Effect is expensive, costing +4 points, but we will lower that by hemming in its effects with if/thens. First, we specify that the Variable Effect ONLY affects the amount of damage the attack inflicts, not anything else. Secondly, we specify the effect is based on how much water is absorbed.

Detonate Leech Crystal (8 pts)
>Attack Range: Radius+2, Area+3, Depleted-1, Variable Effect+4, if/then-1(Only for damage levels), if/then-1(damage is based on amount of water absorbed

With this set-up, the maximum damage you can do is Width in Shock and Killing, and the minimum would be Width in Shock.
>>
>>53044400
So here's the finished product:

POWER: LEECH CRYSTAL
Create Leech Crystal (7 pts)
Desiccate Living Things (4 pts)
Detonate Leech Crystal (8 pts)
>Attack Range: Radius+2, Area+3, Depleted-1, Variable Effect+4, if/then-1(Only for damage levels), if/then-1(damage is based on amount of water absorbed

Like I said, you could clump these into a single mega-power costing 19 pts, or you can make them as individual powers. As individual powers you can have separate dice pools, so you might roll 5d to create a leech crystal but detonate them for 8d. If they were a 19 pt mega power, they'd share a single dice pool. Both options work.
>>
>>53044457
Very cool, thank you man. You have no idea how helpful you've been.

Hey, just out of curiosity, do you want to talk about your game? You seem like the kind of person who'd be an awesome gm, and god knows I could use all the inspiration i could get
>>
>>53044335
Having some kind of salt armor would work, though that's a pretty fringe case unless your characters are expected to be pretty resourceful when dealing with this particular threat. You could also allow someone to roll Endurance just to grit their teeth through the physical strain of it. That's how the telepath who can cause pain through traumatic memories works: you can roll to defend against her attacks, and unlike a normal defense your speed doesn't really matter since it's an instant effect, so if you roll a 2x8 to defend against a 3x7, you can actually totally nullify the attack, which would otherwise fail against a conventional weapon.
>>
>>53044619
oh, I didn't realize that worked that way.

ok i feel like i'm gonna try out wild talents for my game.

Thank you again dude.

Any advice or things I should really know/look at before I run anything in this system?
>>
>>53044845

>Try using Expert Dice instead of Hard Dice
Hard dice (see page 19) are really good for "passive" powers, but are actually kind of unfun when used in Skills or Stats. Expert Dice (see page 20) work a lot better and are more fun.

>Wiggle Dice are ridiculously powerful
Wiggle Dice (also on page 19) are the most powerful things in the game. The book doesn't make this clear but a character with a Wiggle Die in their pool is a force to be reckoned with. For that reason, I'd suggest that you NOT allow characters to have Wiggle Dice in their stats, only their skills and miracles.

>The dice sweet spot
The dice curve on page 18 doesn't tell the full story. A dice pool of 4d technically has 50-50 odds of a Set, but the sweet spot for the One Roll Engine in generally is usually between 5d and 7d. In that range you're more likely than not to get a Set and have an okay chance of being able to pull of multiple actions.

It helps to realize that the dice you have in a Stat or Skill works out like this:

0d- You're physically incapable of doing a thing
1d- You're unusually feeble or bad at it
2d- You're normal and unremarkable
3d- You've actually practiced and are pretty good at a thing
4d- You're genuinely elite
5d- You're the best a human can possibly be at this thing

Above 5d you're entering superheroic areas.

So a character with 2d in a Stat and 2d in a Skill is rolling 4d, so they have a 50-50 shot at getting a Set because they're utterly ordinary. Someone with 3d in the Stat and Skill is rolling 6d, giving them an 85% chance of a Set.

If this seems high, it brings me to the most important tip:

>Encourage risk taking
The real advantage of having a large dice pool isn't that you have a 90%+ chance of a set. It's that you can stomach penalties and reliably pull off Multiple Actions. A character with 8d-9d for a dice pool should be trying to do really awesome things with that pool, because they'll be able to pull of mundane stuff without breaking a sweat.
>>
>>53045001
Clarification: above 5d is superhuman,not superheroic. Everyone is supposed to be superheroic!
>>
As for my own game, I don't want to get too much into it, but it's set in an alternate history where there are three superhero archetypes. Elites are humans without any kinds of superhuman abilities but through training and willpower have pushed their talents to peak ability. They arose during WWII in a very Watchmen like fashion.

Mutants appeared in the 70s as a result of government experimentation during the cold war. Mutants all have the Inhuman metaquality, so whatever powers they have are always coupled with some kind of deformity. A lot of them have animal features. One mutant is a kind of vampire telepath whose body is covered in lesions that heal when she hurts others.

The most recent archetype are individuals who were infected with a retrovirus that rewrote their DNA and, to some extent, their molecular structure. Retros have physics defying powers usually coupled with very hard limits on how they operate.

The campaign itself is set in Ransom City, the capital of Arcadia, a fictional island state off the coast of North Carolina. It's been going on for three years now so it covers a lot of ground, but in essence it focuses on two conspiracies: one is of powerful corporations colluding with alien intelligences in exchange for technology, and the other involves a cult-like organization run by an immortal nazi scientist who may or may not have been the person who created the retrovirus. This is sprinkled amidst plots involving the various criminal organizations in the city and the personal vendettas and drives of the characters. Fairly standard stuff in that regard but the devil's in the details.
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>53048191
hey I'm here if anyone wants to talk, I've kept a wild talents game running for a while
>>
Ran this for about six months, the players only had 50 points of powers a piece but still managed to have some very strong abilities. The biggest issue was getting them to not be afraid of their own capabilities: "this seems unbalanced, does it really work that way?"

The biggest issue with the game is how opaque the power generation system is. I made all the powers for my group by asking "so what do you want to be able to do? ...okay, what else?". If Stolze ever writes a 3rd edition that's the main issue that'll need to be addressed (it doesn't help that a bunch of the write-ups for NPCs in the settings seem to conflict with how the game is supposed to work).
>>
>>53051232
Yeah I really wish there was a 3rd Ed too. Stolze doesn't seem particularly interested though, since Wild Talents was basically a design by committee project and he's more interested in his passion projects like Reign and Better Angels.

I do like that once you have some experience with the system you can whip up even fairly complex powers on the fly. When my group does crime patrols I'll just come up with some crazy Jojo-esque power and not even bother statting it up because I know what kind of power it's going to spit out.
>>
What are the examples of powers conflicting? also an explanation as to whats wrong would really help.
>>53051232

also turning this thread into a "make this power" thread might be fun/educational
>>
>>53051955
I mean, that might be a good call on Stolze's part. Have you guys read the expanded setting/module stuff? A lot of it is pretty bad.

That, and I'd argue wild talents is a bit worse at it's job than godlike.
>>
>>53053342
The other settings: Progenitor and The Kerberos Club are some of the best rpg material I've bought. I do concede that it's more waffly than godlike by trying to be universal though.

>>53052794
My gripe is about how extras like: duration, endless and permanent end up being applied inconsistently in some of the published material. For me it reinforced the need to have a central consensus on how certain things worked, because I had players building things backwards either missing out on bits they needed or overspending for what they were getting (not that WT is huge on balance).
>>
>>53051955
Exactly this. I ran groups against stat blocks and powers i cooked up in my head and it worked out great. Don't worry about the crunch so much, focus on getting your players into the scene and making them think about how to use their powers creatively to beat the powers you throw at them.
>>
>>53055450
It also helps to realize that the point value for characters and powers are practically meaningless. You can have a 400 point character get chumped by a well optimized 250 pointer because one is built to do one thing very well instead of a bunch of things. Which isn't so terrible as to make the game unplayable at all, it just requires a good understanding of the system to avoid it becoming a stumbling block.

Also quite surprised this thread lasted till morning!
>>
>>53053342
WT's power creation system is better than Godlike if only because it's both more streamlined and more adaptable, but Godlike as a stand-alone game instead of a semi-universal supers system is immensely better. It knows exactly what it wants to be and goes for it.
>>
>>53055450
And this here is really where Wild Talents and the One Roll Engine in general really excels. It's just crunchy enough to give you enough moving parts where you can create interesting, challenging encounters, but it's flexible and interpretive enough that you rarely feel weighed down by them.

Just the other night I ran a pretty awesome one shot "patrol" for one of my players (my wife). Basically we cooked up a system where we can roll up some random street crimes and have the character or characters cruise from one to another and deal with the culprits. It ended up involving running a van full of Russian mobsters off the road as one of them threw molotov cocktails out the back door; a brawl with a dude who killed someone sleeping with his girlfriend which started in a house boat, sprawled under a pier at low tide and ended in the surf in the moonlight; and culminated by taking out a human auction run by some white supremacists by flooding the building with chlorine gas and rescuing the victims from a redneck swordmaster and a lady gunslinger named Caliber Kate. It ruled and none of it was pre-scripted, but the combination of homebrew rules and the robustness of the system itself made it easy.
>>
So what oddball and interesting characters have you guys made for Wild Talents?
>>
>>53059573
Let's see:

Protagonists
>Russian infiltration expert who can shape-shift her appearance at will, but her real power is that she's just stupidly good with knives. Also her player does an amazing Russian accent.
>Indian IT specialist who moonlights as a vigilante using what is basically a Caster Gun from Outlaw Star and leaves business cards for his superheroic alter-ego at crime scenes he visits
>A physics prodigy who can manipulate probabilities and is real good at throwing objects, especially balls in the manner of Gyro Zepelli from Steel Ball Run. Also has a crippling addiction to strippers that he should really get some therapy for.
>An Irish mutant with wallaby legs and a tail who sparked some great jokes when she was introduced that mutations don't always conveniently line-up with your ethnic background. She routinely has to hold back from kicking people's heads off.
>Another Russian, this time an artist and auto-mechanic who can control carbon to turn his skin into armor and cause explosions by recombining atmospheric gasses, and pretty much fights like Zangief.
>A gentleman thief character who is both a master of disguise and wields a pair of stolen laser pistols and a threaded cane, whose passion is "Showboating."
>A bow and arrow wielding telapath who can cause criminals to experience the emotions of their victims as a way of encouraging reform. She also has 1d in Charm and has a disaster of a personal life.

We have a rotating cast of characters that we draw from each session depending on what story we're focusing on. It started small but just snowballed into a full ensemble cast.
>>
>>53059573
So, there was this one group of bikers that gave my players some trouble

Piston: converts kinetic energy into explosions, stronger the closer it is to her, and very short range, and the conversion isn't 100%. Plus side is she's immune to those explosions and it's automatic against attacks, So, for example, you were to hit her with a car, it would be the equivalent of hitting the car with an artillery shell, and she would barely be staggered. can also trigger it with punching/running for proactive use.

muffler: ok so this dude's missing a hand, and his power "replaces" it with sound, or really just high amplitude vibration. Just getting close to him causes damage with daze from the sound alone, and the hand can cleave through steel with very little effort, kind of a glass cannon if you can hit him though.

chassis: manipulates metal into personal shells. Normally winds up looking like a walking car crash about a story tall. Is stronger, but also less mobile than you'd think. can also pull limited T-1000 shit, like summoning blades, shifting the metal through small spaces, etc. Withing reason though, theres still a human core there.

exhaust: if it's a gas, and it hurts you to breathe, he can control it. can become intangible in the gas he controls, but he also still needs to breathe in that state. Tends to form a several story tall man made of gas as a diversion, and can get a pretty good gust if he gets enough gas. Like tossing cars, wiping out floors of buildings, ect. Can fly, and seep into a lot of places you otherwise wouldn't expect to find him.

Windshield: Crafts force fields. Basically sets anchor points, and changes the connection points between them. So if he connects four in a square, he makes a square force field. he can move either individual points, or the entire construct, and can basically hotkey the configurations he uses the most. he can fly by just standing on a force field and then moving it.
Also makes shields for his allies (1/2)
>>
>>53064672
by basically coating them in anchor points. His power was the one that had the most practical applications I found.

Carburetor: His power is actually tied to a zippo lighter. when he flips open the top, he can convert the nitrogen in the air into a hyper flammable gas that also interferes with a person's ability to absorb oxygen. This power is very subtle, people usually don't even notice it until they start to lose consciousness. He can convert about an entire block's with of nitrogen in about half a minute, and it explodes with about the force of natural gas. Flicking the lighter triggers a second ability, it creates a spark at whatever he's looking at, at that moment. The thing is, he's not immune to his own power, and while he's incredibly tough, he needs to be very careful when using his power. also has a basic flamethrower attack by using both powers at once, but it's kinda not that good.

tire: super speed, but must be intangible to use it. (well, she doesn't 'need' to be, but it would really damage her to do it while solid). Has a lot of utility, and normally fights by carrying some nano wire, turning that intangible with her (she has a mass capacity of 1 lbs), running though people while trailing the wire, turning it solid again, and then handing the wire to one of her teammates with super strength. Or at least, that's her favorite tactic.

Finally, Jack knife: his power is basically Jack Slash from worm +1. can invisibly extend the edge of knives (though really, i got absurdly loose with what counts as the game went on, and the players kept getting his power wrong) to an almost infinite distance, and the swing is always perfect. Also has a danger sense that applies to other talents, sort of hyper charm (really good at figuring out a persons weak points, or their needs), and has an instinctual knowledge of how powers work (in setting, this is a huge deal). Thing is, almost everyone is a talent.
>>
>>53064903
how the group worked was, everyone in the group had their own motivations and little side stories, and were generally not the type of people to be... well a biker gang really.

I mean piston was the equivalent to a police officer, muffler was a disgraced musician, they were the last people anyone expected to be involved.

But what the party found out was that Jack was capable of bringing out the worst in people no matter who they were. Though they didn't realize how bad it was until they found themselves killing NPC's who'd been helping them out of sheer paranoia.
>>
>>53059573
I have about 200 more of these guys if you want more
>>
This threads interesting, but the problem seems to be a lack of continuing conversation. Like, we've had two posts now try to find a topic.

That being said, this thread has been pretty polite. It's kinda nice
>>
>>53059573
I've been in a game for a while, but I'm the least creative guy in our group when it comes to this stuff.

probably the most "odd ball" guy I made was this chemist dude. I gave him the standard human frailty immunity from progenitor, and immunity to chemical based attacks (so things like acid, fire, double down on toxins), and the ability to summon a few pounds of any element, and force reactions to create very simple compounds on the fly. Though eventually I just defaulted to summoning 12.8 tons of some fluid and running away usually.

The only reason it worked is because I'm a chem major.
>>
bump because these are good powers
>>
>>53042892
are you . . .me? I've been looking at this system for a very similar kind of campaign.
>>
>>53068455
OP here, I'm just combining two things I love, and I saw an anon on another thread talk about something like this (was that you?)

I'd love to hear your ideas, they're probably a hell of a lot better than mine
>>
>>53065776
It is what happens with any ORE thread. Everyone agrees that they like it, help out any one with questions, then it dies from lack of controversy.
>>
>>53070334
Fuck, that's actually super comfy. I wonder why though? I mean surely there's something we disagree on right?
>>
>>53070490
Probably because if you're not shitposting, there's not really a whole lot to disagree on. Maybe what game is the best iteration of ORE.
>>
>>53070532
probably godlike i'd argue, I kinda actually hate progenitor, though I've never touched the kerebos club. I've never heard any of the other discussed really
>>
>>53070532
Fuck, Never thought shitposting would be something tg struggled with
>>
>>53070561
Personally I'd say it's a tie between Reign or A Dirty World. Godlike is pretty cool as well, though I like the modern setting for Wild Talents a bit more.

Shout-out to Monsters and Other Childish Things, Nemesis, and Better Angels, though.

That's definitely one thing that ORE seems to have going for it - most d20 stuff still feels like D&D with a coat of paint, but ORE's stuff even feels different even if it's mechanically mostly the same.

>>53070582
You have NO idea.
>>
>>53070642
damn i haven't even heard of half of those. Reign I've seen in this thread. I'm gonna look it up, but can you tell me if you've done anything in it?
>>
>>53070685
I don't have a group, unfortunately, so most of my experience is in theorycrafting and homebrewing.

Reign is the "standard" fantasy iteration of the game. The default setting is bizarre to say the least, with the landmasses basically being two lovers lying facing each other and the sun actually being a lamp that goes out - certain parts of the world don't ever get any sunlight.

It's got some fantastic Company rules for abstracting running a group of some kind, from a small-town cult consisting of just a few people to a bustling business in a decent-size city, to a continent-spanning empire.

I actually was working on a Mount & Blade set for Reign but I got too busy with life and set it aside.

There's a "totally not Harry Potter" style setting that's a bit more grim that's pretty fun. You should check out the "Years of Our Reign" guidebooks, I believe Stolze should have them on his website still.

>A Dirty World
is basically Film Noir. Stats and challenges work a bit differently than baseline ORE.

>Monsters and Other Childish Things
is basically kids with their made-up friends... who aren't entirely made up. Kind of dark, but can be pretty light-hearted too.

>Nemesis
is a semi-lovecraftian horror game for ORE, uses some of the same components for trauma and violence that Unknown Armies uses.

>Better Angels
is "people have superpowers, but they're given by demons. Appease the demons but don't totally give in to them." Players have their characters, and also play the demon for another player.
>>
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/32761008

32771290 has fucking all of the PDFS
>>
>>53070838

So Reign might actually be fucking perfect for my setting, since Its primary antagonists are just a bunch of super powered groups who've carved up a city, and the players are going to become one of those factions
>>
>>53070906
Possibly. The Company rules are pretty easy to export to other systems even if you decide that Reign isn't the system you want.
>>
File: XENOTYPES 0.1.2.pdf (254KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
XENOTYPES 0.1.2.pdf
254KB, 1x1px
Alright how about this for a discussion point: I've pretty much made hacking the ORE my hobby. I'm currently working on a sci-fi space adventure hack of Reign, and the Wild Talents game I run has half a dozen bits and pieces modified from the core.

Attached here is a piece of the project, a still unfinished attempt to create a system for building alien lifeforms using a variation on Reign's Esoteric Disciplines system. I'm also working on rules for spaceship design and combat and a ruleset for advanced technology based on a fusion of WT style Miracles and Reign's sorcery.

The other hack that I've envisioned is Bloodborne. I'm convinced that the ORE is the perfect system to run a Bloodborne game in.
>>
>>53070954
This. Reign's Company rules are close to the best faction-running system in any game, chiefly because they're easy to use, scale nicely to different settings, are highly flexible and are based around the notion that the players are going to be affecting change in these organizations, instead of them lumbering on heedless of whatever the PCs are doing.
>>
>>53070973
Interesting. Will it have it's own setting or just a generation method? Also, what major changes have you made?
>>
>>53070973
So the main issue I have with this is it's not very in depth when it comes to creating your own perks/flaws.

Like, I can't think of anything you haven't covered there right now (really tired, and honestly it is pretty comprehensive on a skim), but how would I cost something that isn't covered?

I'm guessing common sense works just as well, but I'm curious
>>
>>53071014
>>53071119
I gotta head to bed but if this thread is alive tomorrow I'll reply to these.
>>
>>53071144
let's be honest, it's a miracle this thread survived it's first hour
>>
>>53071192
>miracle
ayy
>>
>>53070334
maybe if we talk about why we prefer ORE to other super settings?

like, why go ORE over M&M?
>>
been looking at Wild Talents for awhile but I learn best by doing and could never get a game of it together.

any podcasts or videos with demonstration of play?
>>
File: Grey_boy.jpg (69KB, 323x588px) Image search: [Google]
Grey_boy.jpg
69KB, 323x588px
I've wanted to run a char in this system for a while but I've been more of less perma-GM'd by my group so I don't really get to make my own chars. It also hurts that none of the other people in my group want to run a superhero setting.

I wanted to run a dude with powers similar to Grey Boy in Worm, but have him struggle with using them due to having an actual conscience.

For those that havent read Worm, Grey Boy is essentially an young boy who got gain the power to create time loops. He himself is perma-contained in a loop which resets any damage (including death) every 5 seconds. The problem with his time loops is that they last thousands of years and during that time the victim is fully aware of what is happening (AKA their mind is not looped, just their body). Because Grey Boy is the only one who can interact with those in his loops he tends to cut/burn/shoot his victims so that they remain trapped in agony for thousands of years.

I really wanted to run a guy who has those same powers but it super afraid to use them because he knows that anyone trapped would be unable to escape. That way, despite being a super overpowered power, the villains would still be able to beat him simply by using his conscience against him.

http://worm.wikia.com/wiki/Gray_Boy

Link to Grey Boy's Worm wiki entry for those interested. Can anyone help me come up with this char?
>>
>>53071489
Roleplay Public Radio has a huge actual play series called Heros of New Arcadia using Wild Talents. It's quite good and is what got me into the game.
>>
>>53071489
i mean, i could share a few stories from my game? but it's kinda too niche to have podcasts for it
>>53071580
coming back from death is actually done in the progenitor book, but that one uses a psychic virus. Shouldn't be hard to adapt though. Do need to remember to include a teleport to avoid the whole perma death loop though. The big problem is that the time loop would be a suped up version of the containment power, admittedly it's not too far off

He'll probably wind up closer to alabaster from worm than gray boy, depending on the point budget, and most of his points would go to powers. Upside is at least you could level up. I'll try stating the powers as soon as I can find my progenitor pdf
>>
>>53071633
oh shit really? summary?
>>
>>53071662
Yeah, it's been a few years since I have played the system but I imagine you can have like 3 hard dice in trapping people would be pretty hard to beat for most people.
>>
>>53071771
thing is if its gray boy level, it's basically an "I win" button. plus it forms a barrier.

also it seems resurrection costs willpower, which doesn't fit with gray boy. still stating
>>
>>53071580
Stick a ton of hard or wiggle dice on the Bind power from the miracle cafeteria with the appropriate modifications. Depending on what ancillary effects are important to you either add additional qualities or attach a couple of other powers that go off automatically.

Then set one of the character's willpower motivations as 'don't use that power'.

>>53071662
>coming back from death is actually done in the progenitor book
I've got a return from the dead power I wrote up for one of these a while back still sitting on my harddrive, it doesn't quite match but should be easily adaptable:

Resurrection 2HD (1pt per die, 4pts)
Useful (Resurrection) +2, Always On -1, If/Then (triggers [set interval] after death) -1, Permanent +4, Self Only -3, Capacity: Self.

Restore the Flesh 9HD (2pts per die, 36pts)
Useful (Self Heal) +2, Attached (Resurrection) -2, Always On -1, Engulf +2, Permanent +4, Self Only -3, Capacity: Self.

Empty Tomb 2HD (9pts per die, 36pts)
Useful (Teleport) +2, Attached (Resurrection) -2, Always On -1, Booster +6, Permanent +4, Capacity: Range. (Range: ~11363 miles).

Total Cost: 78pts

Setting off a set period of time after death this power automatically restores the user to life, transports them to a particular set location (at a distance of up to ~11363 miles, should cover you for anywhere on Earth) and heals 9SK to all hit locations.

If you want to cheapen it up you could add Base Will Cost (-4) to one of the more expensive powers or talk to the GM about a flaw version of the Traumatic (+1) extra, which only effects the user (I'd cost it at -1). There's also a bunch of other ways it could be tweaked depending on your taste and point budget.

>>53071832
Stuff costing will is down to GM prerogative.
>>
File: gray_boy_by_cadillion-db1mt7w.jpg (69KB, 650x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gray_boy_by_cadillion-db1mt7w.jpg
69KB, 650x1200px
>>53071580
ok so I'm more than a little rusty at this, and there's no way any sane gm would allow this at the table but here it goes

Resurrection (2 pts):
Useful mass(+2), Permanent (+4), self only(-3), automatic(only triggers on death) (-1)

this is based off of jean davis' resurrection power

This will almost have a willpower cost attached inherently, like nullify in the book. Probably base will, as this is one of those powers that kinda breaks things. Also normally powers like this have several conditions that need to be met. I'll post a screen grab in my next post to explain it better.

also, you will probably want 10 hard dice. You want this to be as reliable as possible

Teleport out of infinite death loop (8 pt)
Useful range(+2) range booster(+3), Permanent(+4) , go first(+2) , attached to resurrect (-2), automatic(-1)

this is the one that teleports you out of bottomless pits or whatever. Given range boosters and go first to be safe (basically if an attack is fast enough, there's still a chance it'll kill you before you can teleport, or if there's a permanent attack with a radius larger than your range it'll still kill you. with 10 hard dice this risk is mitigated)

Restore to Pristine Condition (5 pts)
Useful mass (+2), Permanent (+4), Self Only (-3), engulf (+2)

re fluffed heal to help simulate the self time loop

Purge status debuffs (5 pts)
Useful mass(+2) Variable effect(+4), if/then (only for variable effect)(-1), if/then (only for removing effects)(-1), Permanent (+4), Self Only (-3)

this power helps simulate the self timeloop's ability to remove effects (E.g. being turned to stone, being set on fire, etc)

Time Loop (17 pts)
Useful mass (+2) Useful range(+2) radius (+2) Permanent (+4) High Capacity mass +1
Defends quality (+2) Range capacity (+2) Radius (+2)

This is the time loop power. The useful is the actual time loop as we know it, the defends is there for the barrier effect we see in the book (like when he lime looped air, and no one could
>>
>>53072680
attack through it) For the genuine gray boy feel, 10 hard dice.

so actually stating the kid,

Resurrection 2 HD (hard dice means they're always 10 in case i forgot) 8 pts

Teleport out of death loop 4 HD (64 pts as written, except I messed up. should have thrown an if/then along the lines of "only triggers when can't resurrect in place of death"(-1), bringing our actual cost to 56 pts)

Restore to pristine condition 10 HD (100 pts)
(you could definitely get away with less, this is overkill, but gray boy would probably get 10)

Purge Status Debuffs 10 HD 100 pts
(same note as above)

Time loop 10 HD 340 pts
(really, about 4 hard dice would do you just fine, though throwing on interference (a +3 extra) on the useful might be a good idea, but might be overkill. I left it out because the books containment power didn't have it)

Bringing our total cost to 612 points I think (very tired, might be wrong)

I went really over board here, for an actual character, you could cut the restoration powers, cut the death loop escape's boosters and go first, and some other minor things, but I wanted to give gray boy an honest go. first (2/3)
>>
File: resurrectpower.png (98KB, 388x554px) Image search: [Google]
resurrectpower.png
98KB, 388x554px
>>53072861
here's the power i used for the resurrect reference, also

>>53072520
is 100% right about costs being up to the GM. I was just trying to be super cautious.

Also, his powers are slightly better built than mine, throwing on the always on flaw is a very good idea here

but yeah if you have questions, or notice i fucked up, let me know please
>>
also sorry if thats hard to read, Im pretty tired rn
>>
>>53073040
>>53072926
>>53072861
>>53072680
>>53072520
>>53071832
Wow, I really am speechless. Thank you for giving such a hard look at this. I kind of wanna try this now with the char that I mentioned earlier (like you said no sane GM would allow this but maybe if I promise to roleplay the char effectively enough it could be interesting)
>>
>>53073078
keep in mind the recommended budget is 250 points, and getting 1 in every stat costs 30 points (though a lot of gm's I play with just start everyone at 2 )
>>
>>53073121
I think if I was to start him I would consider dumping significantly less dice in the time loop power to start. I would probably keep it to 3-4 hard dice. That way, the dm can have some time to think of ways to work around it before it ramps up into infinity.
>>
>>53073186
Yeah, sorry I though I included that in my post. Must've forgot.

Also that character was more meant to represent the character from the story he mentioned, so it's very much the end result.

But yeah 4 hard dice is fine for a power like that, especially in lower power games
>>
Hey, guy from way earlier here, I was just wondering how combat works in this game? Also, how do you plan around pcs that could theoretically do anything?
>>
>>53073412
Combat goes: Declare (everyone announces what they're doing in ascending order of Sense), Roll (everyone rolls their relevant dicepools), Resolve (actions occur in order of descending width, height is used as a tie-breaker). This means that you might declare for an action and have someone else beat you to the punch or work around what you're doing if they've got a clearer view of the fight, it makes combat frenetic and unreliable which keeps things feeling dangerous.

Don't worry about planning around your PCs until you know how they'll operate. Throw a couple of paper tigers at them to let them strut their stuff and get a handle on the way they play, then hit them with something bizarre and difficult to respond to - keep them on the back foot so they're responding to you and force them to adapt to you so when they overcome whatever is in store it's all the more rewarding.

Then think about what happened and consider how to plan around them.
>>
>>53071633
If I remember correctly they also ran an interesting Better Angels campaign that is pretty much the alpha play through of what ended up the No Soul Left Behind splat/advenutures about fresh new demonicly possesed villian students and teachers at a school.
>>
>>53073524
One last question, are hard dice as overpowered as they seem?
>>
>>53071670
It's a fairly huge series, something like 30 episodes in length, so I can't summarize the whole thing, but basically it takes place in very comic-booky world after an event called Ragnarok that wiped away all the old superheroes (who formed a group called the Ideal), so it follows a group of new heroes who step up to take their place. It's a very broad, marvel-esque setting with supersoldier drugs, alien technology and magic. The GM, Ross, also knows his players really well and knows that most of them are crazy power-gamers so the threats he throws at them are quite extreme sometimes.
>>
>>53073121
I'm pretty sure the first die in each stat is free, since it's impossible for a normal human character to have less than 1d in a Stat. Then again that may just be a really obvious house rule that my table has been using for years.
>>
>>53076336
That really depends on a couple factors.

Hard dice in an offensive power are obviously extremely powerful since it means you're aiming for the head (or vitals in general) every time. That is, having 2 or more HD has the effect. I've found that having a single HD in an attack power or skill is more frustrating that anything; on a purely anecdotal level, having another normal die in your pool seems to give better outcomes. This is mitigated when you treat Hard Dice like Expert Dice, meaning you set their value before-hand to whatever you want, making them very good at doing called shots.

The "intended" function of hard dice is to allow for passive powers like armor or regeneration. Hard dice are also incredibly useful for defensive abilities. There's a sample power called "The Dodge Podge" which is basically a permanent Hyperdodge with 2hd. This gives a nice alternative to Heavy Armor, which can be quite punishing since you need to roll a Width of at least +2 over the armor's value to get anything done. Dodge Podge means that your character automatically dodges any attack with a Width of 2, but a Width of 3 will still hit. I used it for a solo boss encounter (a crime boss called The Reverend whose power, The Chronic, let him turn his body into a cloud of smoke) and it really ratcheted up the threat level since only the player's best sets could hit him before he'd poof out of their way.

On the whole, Wiggle Dice are a lot more powerful than Hard Dice, more-so I think than the game makes clear. The game gives examples of characters with +2wd in a power which seems like lunacy to me.
>>
>>53076460
How would wiggle dice be more powerful than hard dice? Aren't hard dice the best possible roll?
>>
>>53076336
The reasons that keep hard dice from being king shit of turd hill are:
1) They are inflexible, it's either on or off. If you choose to discard a hard dice from your pool you lose all of them.
2) More importantly, when you take dice penalties on an action hard dice are lost first (then normal, then wiggle). Having only a pair or trio of hard dice in a power leaves it susceptible to interference.

>>53076375
Eyeballing the character writeups in the corebook it looks like you're supposed to pay for them. That said it's not a terrible houserule (the only exception to the 1d minimum I can think of come from the Custom Stats intrinsic: for when you're building distributed AIs and magic swords that possess people).
>>
>>53076521
First, hard dice get knocked off first when you take any kind of penalty, whereas Wiggle Dice get knocked off last.

Secondly, Wiggle Dice basically have the same effect as HD, but better. Here's an example:

Let's say you roll 6d and get the following results:

If you had a Hard Dice with that pool, you'd match it up with the 10 to have a 2x10. If you had a Wiggle Die in that pool, you could match it to the 10, OR any of the other dice you rolled. This means you could choose to have a 2x10 OR a 3x2 OR a 2x4 OR a 3x8. In combat where Width counts for speed, this is extremely important.
>>
>>53076542
Wait, distributed ai net? You could build that? That sounds awesome!
>>
>>53076542
>>53076557
Ok that makes sense. how do you fluff them on an attack by the way? Just say it's like aimbot?
>>
>>53076558
Yup, take Custom Stats: No Body. This leaves you completely disembodied.

Then buy whatever powers seem appropriate to give your AI access to the world.

>>53076574
Yup, aimbot, an unrelenting torrent of hellfire, kills by an incredibly deadly side-effect that can't be avoided - whatever makes it on/off rather than a finesse tool.
>>
>>53076574
You could, but you can also have them represent preternatural talent in an area. WD represent absolute mastery of the field, such that you can do something with anything you roll (infact in some other ORE products they're called Master Dice).

One nice thing that WD can do is pair with small dice pools. Some of the sample characters have pools for stuff like Flight or Sensors with like 3d+1wd. This means you'll always get a Set, so the power never outright fails, but it won't always be an amazing set.
>>
>>53076597
...how do you hurt something with no body? Is it entirely dependent on how you flavor it? Like the ai could get hit with power outages or viruses, but what if they're just like a ghost?
>>
>>53076638
Precisely. There are plenty of psychic powers that could inflict damage on a disembodied intelligence. What's nice is that since everything in WT runs on the same mechanics, you don't really need to work out new damage rules for unconventional combat. You're causing some manner of harm based on your Width, so it doesn't REALLY matter that much whether it's a knife, a gunshot or a malicious electronic worm sent against a sprawling digital mind.
>>
>>53076638
From a GM perspective there's two ways to handle it, neither mutually exclusive:
1) Assign it hit boxes anyway (nothing says no body gets rid of these even if it seems counterintuitive), let appropriate measures deal damage commensurate with their impact. In addition some powers might not carewhether the target has a body or not (ie. certain attacks with the Non-Physical extra).
2) Come up with special rules for the situation. Exorcisms, viruses, whatever fits.

The other thing to keep in mind is that something with no body requires powers for the specific purpose of interacting with the world at all. If you deny it access to those it might as well be dead or at the very least is on the back foot while you find a more permanent way to deal with it.
>>
Hey op here.

Just wanted to thank everyone who participated here. This has been a surprisingly educational thread (expected it to die immediately desu)

Also, what do you guys think about the nullify power? Do you guys have it available to local law enforcement like in the book, or do you make it super rare?

I worry that it might not be a fun power to fight, but might be necessary
>>
>>53076903
Nullification works when you have a good non-superpowered way to cancel or escape it. Slapping it on a pair of handcuffs or like a collar or something is the perfect way to handle it. Force your players, once in a while, to have to rely on their mundane skills instead of their powers. Just don't make it a persistent threat otherwise it sucks the fun out of the game.

In Godlike, the original Nullify ability is called Zed and it's cool because it's always a battle of wills between the Zedder and whoever he's fighting.
>>
>>53076903
I'm just happy that we've been able to have a good chat about the One Roll Engine. These threads are pretty hard to come by.
>>
>>53076903
>>53076977
You can also restrict it by source (something that nulls psychic powers doesn't work on rayguns for example) and deny the variable effect extra for broad spectrum nullification. This restriction might also apply to specific types of power, a method of nullifying powers gained from genetic manipulation might be available in the form of a drug but that might not mean anything about the availability of nullification for magical powers. If you go this route bump up the cost of the protected archetype correspondingly.

Mundane means of staying in the fight after power nullification are a factor too, depending on your games power level. The guy who could fly and eyebeam people pulling out a gun can make up in surprise what they lose in power. An interesting scenario might involve impending, inescapable nullification of powers and the PCs planning for how to handle facing their problems without them for a while.
>>
>>53041447
I tried to get into it, but despite the ease with which I grasp most other systems, I just couldn't really understand Wild Talents character creation.

I can create a HERO character in my sleep, ffs.
>>
File: EQUIPMENT.pdf (149KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
EQUIPMENT.pdf
149KB, 1x1px
>>53071014
>Will it have it's own setting or just a generation method?
A bit of both. It's mostly for generation purposes; since everyone always asks "what system should I use for my Scifi game?" I wanted to create something with some flexibility, much like Reign itself. However I'm also working on a setting that will be a part of the finished product, though not directly baked into the crunch (Welks and kastrani are two of the races from it).

>Also, what major changes have you made?
The core system isn't changing too much. Reign's a robust system that can handle being ported into other settings without breaking in half. I've adjusted the skill list to fit in more with space adventure vs terrestrial fantasy adventure and I've added a subset of skills for operating a spacecraft as well as creating and fighting with them.

One of the bigger changes is Edge, which is an alternative to the Passions system from Reign and Willpower from Wild Talents. With Edge you gain points usable by certain stats based partially on how you spend your time between jobs. This is partly inspired by the Free Time system from Fragged. So if you spend a full day at the gym working out you can gain a bunch of Physical Edge that you can spend to boost your running, jumping and dodging, etc, whereas if you hang out at the bar until 3am you can build Social Edge with can be used with Charm and Command.

I've also created a bunch of new Martial Paths and updated the rules for weapons and equipment to better fit a sci-fi universe. I've attached them here though I need to make another pass on them since this is an old draft. It's mostly to allow for a variety of firearms and to tone down the damage output of them somewhat to balance them against the fact that most of the time you'll be faced with firearms instead of swords and clubs, and I wanted to avoid increasing Reign's lethality, which is already pretty nasty.
>>
>>53077088
That's a really interesting idea. So like if I made driven a protected source I'd have to bump up its cost, or would restricting what permissions it can take also work?
>>
>>53077249
What was the stumbling block?
>>
>>53071119
No worries!

I agree with this and it's something I need to address. As I said, the system is adapted directly from Reign's Esoteric Disciplines system, with some adjustments (such as removing the ability to affect Company Qualities and adding in stuff like more hit cells and unconventional movement).

The philosophy behind doing it this way is as follows:

1.) I wanted players to be able to choose an alien race without it cutting into their point cost unless they want to. In this system you can choose to be whatever race you want and still spec out the way you like, but you also have the option of investing in that Xenotype's perks for a different array of advancement.

2.) I wanted to avoid the trope that "All members of X race are strong" and "All members of Y race are smart and beautiful". I rather prefer the idea that your genetic advantages are predispositions rather than defaults. A member of a strong warrior Xenotype can become super strong and deadly, but if they instead focus their efforts on science and diplomacy they probably won't. Since everything operates on the same point scale, they're meant to balance out. Sure the scientist might be missing out on being able to rip doors off their hinges, but the points he could have spent for that could be invested in, say, the Hardware Skill that lets you just bypass the door altogether.
>>
>>53077315
I'd restrict its permissions. In the setting I play in, characters with the Driven Source can only be Hypertrained or have Super Equipment, which balances nicely against the other archetypes (Mutants, which have a Power Theme but are Inhuman, and Retros, which have the Super Permission but have a Willpower Allergy to an antiviral compound the villains have at their disposal).
>>
>>53077447
>>
>>53077447
I did something similar, but probably a lot dumber.

I kinda compressed all sources into driven, technology, and paranormal, and each one would break down into three sub classes

For example, paranormal had artifact users, aberrations(mutants), and naturals.

Paranormal was also the only one where getting miracles was easy. Downside is it's the easiest to nullify, and each "class" had a down side.
Artifact users powers could get stolen

aberrations had inhuman, and would basically go feral if the hit zero willpower (they did get the mutable archetype to compensate however, though it usually was the main reason their willpower was always so low)

And naturals were people who had access to miracles with seemingly no downside. Except they didn't get to pick their powers. The group would listen to the characters backstory/description, I'd throw out a very vague theme, we'd all come up with ideas for what power would fit the character (usually with an ironic twist), and we'd all vote with the natural players vote counting for two.

It sounds stupid writing it out but it was actually super fun
>>
>>53077724
I forgot to mention paranormal had to follow a theme
>>
File: New Character Sheet_Version2.pdf (120KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
New Character Sheet_Version2.pdf
120KB, 1x1px
>>53077724
No that sounds awesome actually. What are your other subclasses?

Also wanted to share this. Here's the heavily modified character sheet that my group uses. We use a totally house-ruled First Aid system and a bunch of variant skills including a completely rewritten set of Charm skills that we took directly from A Dirty World.
>>
>>53077889
Well tech has the most poorly defined abilities of the three (intentional)

The three main tech classes were cyborg, gadgeteer, and tinkers (though paranormal also had tinkers, there were major differences which I'll outline below)
You might notice the classes are very similar to one another, that's because I am a hack

The main draw of tech powers is that, while they're much less powerful and can't break physics as strongly, you don't have to follow a theme, and you aren't limited to one focus at a time

Cyborgs are exactly what you think they are. Their powers are built directly into their body, either using sockets or fully integrated tech (later was stronger), this means they're the least flexible of the tech users, since they'll need minor surgery at least to swap powers, but they normally are the strongest (assuming they're not too attached to a human form. They also run the risk of losing willpower, though in their case they just become robots)

Gadgeteer are tech user, peak human hybrids, if you want to play bat man, or just a survivor with a thousand tricks up their sleeves, this is your guy.

Tinkers are the builders. Like I said above, paranormal tinkers are also things, but they a) normally have restrictions on what they can build or how they build it, b) can't mass produce the things they build.

Tech tinkers are the guys who'll outfit an army with laser rifles and power armor. Eventually
>>
>>53078033
I can dig it. One of the nice things about the Archetypes system in WT is that it's open-ended enough to serve as a vague guideline to what you can do with your powers or as a rigid class system depending on the needs of your players.
>>
>>53077889
Driven can't really break too many rules. And they have the weirdest sub classes
That being said, their stuff is the cheapest, and if you want hyper skills/stats, you need this
Peak human: your stock height of human ability people. Probably the broadest class, since it covers everything from being able to lift a truck to making it so that you can tell psychics to go fuck themselves. Combos super well with any style of play really

Stalker: kind of unique, these are people with no base willpower. By the rules of the setting, they can't use paranormal powers at all, and even the really high tech stuff gets unstable in their hands. They can't even really surpass human limits like peak humans, with exception of command. The plus side is powers also have a harder time working on or even noticing them, though it's pretty limited. For example, they could sneak up on someone with danger sense, but summoning a sun on them is still very likely to kill them. However, they are outright immune to mind and some body altering effects. They also are the only people who are ignored by anomalies, meaning they're the only ones who can get to the really powerful artifacts in the scar (they do eventually unlock the ability to bind anomalies, but that's it's whole own mechanic). Note they can still buy wiggle dice in skills and stats, they just can't go above 5. They're the hardest to play, but the hardest to stop when played right.

Willful: they're the ones who power through things with will power alone (not really, but it's a way to get extra tough and aces that're incredibly hard to nullify) these guys are natural willpower batteries in addition to having access to hyperskills. If they hit zero will they still get halved everything however
>>
>>53078235
It's more prebuilt archetypes to keep my weaker players roughly in the same tier as the power gamer really. Some of my players can't really figure out how to work the system, or don't really know what to go for beyond a line or two.

So I threw these prebuilt archetypes to give them a jumping off point, or at least something to get their feet wet while they learn
>>
>>53078237
I'm curious about how you'd roleplay a Stalker since they seem fairly, uh, inhuman amidst a setting populated by normal joes.
>>
>>53078373
I think I know what you mean, but could elaborate? like, inhuman in what way?
>>
>>53078798
Well for one having no base will, as written, pretty much makes you a robot, but these guys seem to be normal humans with a weird relationship to the scar (I'm guessing the equivalent to the Zone from the video game Stalker)? Just curious about knowing more.
>>
>>53078373
But there's a few ways to role play stalkers depending on what type you're going for.

The only central theme is that before a person becomes a stalker, they had to have spent a significant amount of time at zero base willpower. The exact time doesn't really matter, but it's long enough that emotional rock bottom has become the functioning norm for them. Right after they become stalkers, they're closer to robots than people, just forcing themselves to function as they bounce back from whatever happened to them.

Note it doesn't have to be trauma that does it, sometimes people just burn themselves out, or didn't have much in them to begin with.

also to note, they don't have passions or loyalty like normal talents. They are also pretty much immune to all mental trauma, since there's literally nothing there to damage anymore.

As for being immune to mental and physical influence, the mental comes with zero base will, and the physical comes from an in setting aspect that probably wouldn't translate well out of context.

It should be noted that most stalkers don't really make it to the "functional" stage of having zero willpower. Most go catatonic, kill themselves, or just even out again.

Again this sounds really dumb just written out, in game I revealed it through stalkers describing what the went though, research documents, and player observation.

Also sorry if this is hard to read, it's pretty early where I am
>>
>>53079196
Oh sorry didn't realize you replied. Yeah "normal" in the sense that if powers weren't a thing they'd just be really competent people.

Even then, the most functional stalkers have something "off" about them.

And yes the scar is the zone rip off, I should've specified my bad
>>
Alright so Stalkers are less zombies and more "desperate burnouts with nothing to live for." Which definitely works for the purposes of what you're putting together. I like it.

Not sure if you mentioned this, but is this a game you're planning or one you've actually started to run?
>>
Alright so check this out. I mentioned it earlier but I'm certain that ORE is the perfect vehicle to run Bloodborne.

Here's my reasoning:

1.) Bloodborne is a game about risk-reward management. How many times can you land hits and still have the reflexes and stamina to avoid a counter-attack? Can you get a little farther before awakening without being ganked and losing your souls? This theme fits wonderfully into the ORE, where you have to balance your own greed for actions with your ability to reliably roll enough Sets to satisfy them.

2.) Bloodborne demands active defense. You can't just hide behind your shield and armor and expect to live. Avoiding an attack is a conscious decision, and you have to weigh it against the desire to inflict damage.

3.) Action. Bloodborne is an action RPG that's very heavy on the action; as a result, the player isn't usually consciously aware of his statistics, only his input. I think this can be modeled quite nicely.

Here's the idea:

>Stats and Skills
Stats and Skills remain as they are in WT/Reign, tailored for Victorian horror. You still have Body, Coordination, Mind, Sense, Charm and Command and a suite of skills under each. These are advanced via Experience Points.

>Traits
Here's where we deviate by bringing in the Bloodborne stats like Strength, Skill (change to Dexterity), Arcane, Bloodtinge, etc... These aren't on the 1d-5d scale that Stats are on. Instead they're on a scale of, like, 1-20, 30, 40 or whatever end-cap makes sense for them. These aren't rolled. Instead, they act as resources to spend. Spend a point of Strength to add +1d to an attack with a Strength weapon, or a point of Endurance to add +1d to blocking an attack. These traits are improved by spending Blood Echoes. It follows, then, that a person who has very high Strength but low Arcane will be extremely good at hitting guys with the Saw Cleaver but not as good at using, say, the Wheel.

(continued)
>>
>>53081065
Trait points are replenished when you rest at whatever safe space your game uses, such as the Workshop.

>Combat
We can ditch the Wound Silhouette; BB doesn't care about where you hit a dude. Moreover it means don't need to worry about specialized hit sheets for weirdly shaped monsters. Instead, characters have a Health value like in most other RPGs.

This also changes what a Set does. Width still equals Speed of an attack, but damage is determined by Height plus a modifier. So a 5x2 is an extremely fast but quite weak attack, while a 2x10 is slow but extremely damaging.

Anyway, this is quite rambley and under-developed but I wanted to get it down in writing.
>>
>>53080411
It's a game I've been running for about two and a half years now, and I've run it for a few groups because I'm lazy and know that one setting stupidly well
>>
>>53081141
Interesting, but there's honestly a lot of work that needs to be done. What's the purpose of the modifier? Why not just bonus attack levels?
>>
By the way, what would everyone think about a Biweekly Official One Roll Engine thread? I'm not sure there's enough interest to merit one every week but I think maybe every two weeks? This one's already lasted a lot longer than any I've seen before, maybe it's the system's time?
>>
>>53081491
>Interesting, but there's honestly a lot of work that needs to be done
True, but maybe not as much as one would expect. I think the whole thing could come in at under 70 pages, though I'm not right now in a position to write it.

>What's the purpose of the modifier? Why not just bonus attack levels?
Not sure what you mean by this. Obviously you're referencing the Height + Modifier damage scheme, in which case the modifier is there to allow for improved weapon output. When you say "Bonus attack levels" are you referring to the Attacks+X system from Wild Talents?
>>
>>53081543
I think it's because we had a lot of people bump it. If you look at the stats we only have like 17 unique posters.

Not that I'm against the idea, but I feel like we need a few more people

Maybe if we start talking about our campaigns or campaigns we want to run?

Or do like that super power thread that was pretty successful, except we actually stat the powers?
>>
>>53081658
Yes, it's just there's already systems to do some of the stuff you're describing I think.

I need to look it up while not at work
>>
>>53081682
Valid points; I'm going to remain optimistic though, and the worst that could happen is a dead thread every other week. Still, this particular one has been awesome (I'm going to be offline for most of the week but will hopefully pop back in now and then).
>>
>>53082402
Fair. Alright I'd say go for it
>>
File: MARTIAL PATHS [BETA].pdf (164KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
MARTIAL PATHS [BETA].pdf
164KB, 1x1px
Here's something for anyone who wants some expanded Martial Paths. These are written up for my Sci-fi Reign expansion. Not all of them have been tested and some need revisions (Invisible Knife in particular isn't appreciably different enough from normal Serpent's Fang), but overall they work well. Gunslinger Arts and Breach Fighting in particular are quite fun, and Schemata is a real ball-buster.
>>
>>53081682
maybe stat up a superhero using the system?
>>
>>53084660
Holy shit are we spider man thread now?

Fuck it, give me a run down of his powers and I'll do it
>>
>>53084772
Spider-Man is highly intelligent, definitely top twenty maybe top ten geniuses in Marvel.

He's ridiculously acrobatic.

Super-strong, about enough to lift twenty tons or so.

Wall-crawling.

His web-shooters are devices in most incarnations. He can use them to swing around the city at roughly fifty miles an hour or so, he can use them to bind enemies or protect allies/civilians, pulling them out of harms way. The webbing itself usually disintegrates after about an hour or so.
>>
>>53084903
Wasn't there also some sort of spider sense? I'll need specifics on that.

Will stat as soon as work slows down
>>
>>53085066
Ah, yeah. Can't believe I forgot that. It's basically just precognitive danger sense, though, so not too hard to stat out.
>>
File: spider-man stronk.jpg (161KB, 600x918px) Image search: [Google]
spider-man stronk.jpg
161KB, 600x918px
>>53084903
I usually hear ten tons
>>
>>53085304
It varies. Ten is about the low end of average for him, but he's lifted much more than that, on several occasions - parts of skyscrapers, loaded planes.
>>
so how fast is this system?
>>
File: AS33.gif (212KB, 299x450px) Image search: [Google]
AS33.gif
212KB, 299x450px
>>53085066
>>53085095
self only
doesn't tell him who/what is the danger or where its coming from. just that he is in danger.

>>53085352
true

maybe just split the difference and say 15 tons, more if exerts himself during times of great duress
>>
>>53081682
>>53084660
I've got a bunch of characters stated, eg:

Henry Carlisle - Archaeologist Adventurer & Occultist

Source: Paranormal
Permission: Inventor (Occult Artifacts) (5)
Intrinsics: N/A

Stats (128pts)
Body 3D Coordination 3D Sense 3D
Mind 3D Command 4D Charm 3D
Base Will 18 - Willpower 18
Passions - Adventure! (5), It Belongs In A "Museum" (6); Loyalties - Carlisle Name (4), Occultist Patrons (3)

Skills (45pts)
Pulp Adventurer 4D
Passable Academic 2D
Museum/Tomb Robber 3D

Powers (72pts)
Focus: The Vaults -4
Extras & Flaws: Focus -1, Irreplaceable -2, Unwieldly -2.

Occult Artifacts 6D+2HD+2WD (ADUU; 4pts per die; 72pts)
Attacks Extras & Flaws: Delayed Effect -2, Endless +3, If/Then (Variable Effect is only for mythological artifacts) -1, The Vaults -4, Variable Effect +4, Willpower Investment -1. Capacity: N/A.
Defends Extras & Flaws: Delayed Effect -2, Endless +3, If/Then (Variable Effect is only for mythological artifacts) -1, The Vaults -4, Variable Effect +4, Willpower Investment -1. Capacity: N/A.
Useful Extras & Flaws: Delayed Effect -2, Endless +3, If/Then (Variable Effect is only for mythological artifacts) -1, The Vaults -4, Variable Effect +4, Willpower Investment -1. Capacity: N/A.
Useful (Retrieval) Extras & Flaws: Delayed Effect -2, Endless +3, Self Only -3, The Vaults -4. Capacity: Self.
Effect: Henry has access to hidden vaults of historical mythological artifacts that he has retrieved for his occultist patrons. He may requisition a few of them at a time to aid him in his misadventures. This power mimics gadgeteering, except that the powers created must belong to magical artifacts which he and other agents are assumed to have previously retrieved. The Retrieval quality provides a reward for recovering new artifacts for his patrons.

(1/2)
>>
>>53081682
>>53086820
EXAMPLE ARTIFACTS

Dainsleif, King Hogni's Sword +2D+1WD (Hyperskill, Willpower Investment: 6)
Hyperskill Extras & Flaws: Attacks +1, Dainsleif (Focus: Accessible, Indestructible, Irreplaceable) -2 , Full Power Only -1, Go First +1, Penetration +3, Uncontrollable (Cursed: Must kill when drawn) -2.
Effect: A sword which grants +2D+1WD to the Melee Weapon (sword) skill when wielded, does WK+2 at +1 width for initiative resolution and penetrates up to 3 points of armour. All dice must be used and maximum possible damage inflicted. Once drawn the wielder must either take a life or spend a point of willpower then beat their best attack activation roll to sheathe Dainsleif.

Sak Yant Jacket 2HD (Defends; Willpower Investment: 8)
Defends Extras & Flaws: Armored Defence -2, Defends +2, Endless +3, Hardened Defence +2, Locational (excludes head and legs) -3, Yang Sakh Jacket (Focus: Adaptation) -2. Capacity: Self.
Effect: A leather jacket lined with the tanned hide of a mystic which protects the wearer from harm; 4 hardened LAR covering the torso and arms.

(2/2)
>>
>>53085447
Define fast
>>53085095
Ok I don't have the book, so I'm going to over shoot a lot of those bench marks

Oh well

Anyway let's start with the stats

10 dice in body gets us 12.8 tons to lift if I remember correctly, and that sets us back 42 points (2 native, 8 hyperstat)

Now 8 of those body come from his power, so they only cost 4 instead of 5. I'm guessing he has 2 body without his power.
6 coordination to dodge bullets (2 native +4 hyperstat= 26 points)

6 coordination let's you dodge bullets, which I know spidey can do

Sense of at least 7 (1 native + 6 hyperstat= 29)
Part of emulating the spider sense

Mind of at least 10, probably has hard dice but let's be basic for right now

Let's use inhuman stat for this, since peter would be this smart without his powers. Making mind inhuman costs 3 points, and the actual 10 mind costs 50 points, total is 53

The skills

Athletics 4 hard dice, with the endless extra (+3 each die), brings each die to 4 per die (hyper skill), 32 points total

This should cover pretty much any acrobatic stuff he'll need to do

Dodge + endless, 5 hd, 40 Pts

Spider reflexes

Web slingers 2 wd + 2 hd + 6 d 126 pts
Useful (ensnare): mass capacity +2, range +2, duration +2, high capacity (mass) +1, focus (-1), depleted (-1)
Useful (movement): speed capacity (+2), focus (-1)
Defends (use web to dodge)(+2), focus (-1)

The web slingers are expensive, but they're damn good

Realistically, peter should have at least a few dice in gadgeteeering, extra tough, endurance, stability, and a few other areas need to be shored up.

But this is a good start.

Final stats

Body 10d
Coordination 6d
Sense 7d
Mind 10d
Charm 2d
Command 2d

Athletics 4 hd
Dodge 5 hd

Power (tech source)
Web slingers 2 wd + 2 hd + 6d

Final cost: 398 (once we add in charm and command), add two willpower and you have about where I'd expect Spider-Man to be on the scale

Also maybe add mass capacity to the movement if you want him to carry other people. Forgot that one
>>
>>53085447
Fast to play, slow to start out.
>>
File: Wild Talents 2nd Edition.pdf (6MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Wild Talents 2nd Edition.pdf
6MB, 1x1px
>>53087199
>>
>>53087199
FUCK I FORGOT THE WALL CRAWL

useful (speed) +2, duration +2, subtle +1 because its stealthy

Like, idk, 1wd+2 d>>53087359
Thanks, my main issue is that I'm on my phone at work at the moment though
>>
there's a bunch of sample heroes and villains in here.

its free on Drivethrurpg
>>
File: wild talents cheat sheet.pdf (184KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
wild talents cheat sheet.pdf
184KB, 1x1px
>>53087359
>>
>>53087478
and now for something completely different
>>
>>53087292
Could you elaborate? Why is it slow to start?

And it's been pretty slow in my group, but that might be because we have a group of 6>>53087522
That is the single most useful thing posted in this thread
>>
>>53087593
The initial 'getting your head around it' of the system handles a lot different than most games, add how opaque the power-generation rules are for new players and you've got a pretty steep learning curve. From a GM's perspective that's a problem best addressed by walling off the weirder stuff until the players have a full handle on the basics.
>>
>>53087703
OK but where do you draw the line? Like, what do you define as weird stuff?
>>
>>53088060
Extras like Variable Effect and Augments for instance can be a little tricky to work with until you have a better understanding of how the various parts of the system work together. Keeping the power creation aspects of the game on the GM side for the start is also a good idea until the players get a firmer grasp on things. Doesn't usually take long though, just a few sessions really.
>>
>>53081141
>damage is determined by Height plus a modifier.
So long as you don't mind really swingy damage it could work and would make it pretty lethal still even as a hitbox blob when someone can hit for 10+modifier
>>
>>53083889
>Sci-fi
If you haven't yet then check out the Out of the Violent Planet splat from Stolze for some sci-fi Reign
>>
>>53041447
Nice. It's been a while since I've read anything Wild Talents related here.
I'm attempting to do a campaing with my group, but most of them are novice when it comes to RPGs and some have approached me saying that the power-creating system is too confusing for them. I promised I'd find some Character Builds for them, at least so that they get familiarized with the system.

Can anyone recommend me a good site where I can get pre-made Character Builds?
>>
>>53088478
I love Out of the Violent Planet. It's so well written that I actually just straight enjoy reading it. I also really like how it handles alien generation, and it's inspired me in working on the Reign space project in doing random space monsters (ViPlan aliens are very specificly "bug eyed blobby psychic monsters", where I'm trying to be a bit more generalized).
>>
>>53088484
http://arcdream.com/home/tag/power-sets/

If you want anything outside of that we could do it here.
>>
>>53088484
They have a character generator, but it sucks.

If you throw some concepts my way I could try my hand at stating them, or failing that I can throw you some of my npc stat blocks
>>
>>53088484
http://arcdream.com/home/2012/07/wild-talents-made-easy-the-simple-path-to-ultimate-power-part-1/

Show that to your players
>>
>>53087199
I also forgot to give his web slingers spray

See kids, this is why you check your work
>>
>>53088862
This is actually a good idea. Like maybe we could do a build a power thread to generate interest?
>>
Ok I'm going to bed, but hopefully this thread survives another night.

To help with that

What power would you guys give a final boss?
>>
File: Shdwkng.jpg (38KB, 442x350px) Image search: [Google]
Shdwkng.jpg
38KB, 442x350px
>>53089320
a psychic entity bodyjacker looking for the perfect host to inhabit before taking over the world
>>
>>53089320
>>53089420
Expanding on this. A hive-mind that expands by overlaying itself on to people's minds. There's an upper limit on how many people it can contain at a time, but instead of limiting it's size this effect causes it to gradually calve off nodes of minds who then begin to diverge in thinking and behavior from the main group while being subject to the same limitations. Size is variable depending on a number of poorly understood factors and some of the hives are experimenting to see how they can expand their reach.

Bonus points if the primary source is information: like a book or a song or an image. Combating the spread of this information becomes a secondary goal to opposing the hives and outbreaks after the hives are dealt with can still be a thing.
>>
B'Qeleh, The First Murder Weapon

Source: Construct (0)
Permission: Power Theme (Intelligent Knife)
Intrinsics: Custom Stats (No Coordination) (5), Unhealing (-8)

Stats (78pts)
Body 1D Coordination - Sense 3D
Mind 3D Command 5D(10D) Charm 3D
Base Will 9 - Willpower 9

Skills (61pts)
Athletics 1D, Blocking 3D, Dodge 4D, Ranged Weapon (Pistol) 1D, Stealth 2D, Perception 2D, Knowledge (Stabbing & Anatomy) 2D, Medicine 1D, Lie 2D, Intimidation 2D, Stability 1D.

Occupational Skills: World Languages 3D.

Powers (114pts)
Puppet 10HD (U; 2pts per die; 40pts)
Useful Extras & Flaws: Endless +3, If/Then (breaks on lost contact) -1, Touch Only -2. Capacity: Touch.
Effect: You can possess anyone wielding you, use their physical stats (Body, Coordination, Sense) and hit boxes unless someone specifically targets the knife, but your own skills while possession is active. If contact between you and your vessel is broken the power ends. Opposed by a Stability roll or Willpower spend.

Custom Hit Locations 2HD (U; 2pts per die; 8pts)
Extras & Flaws: Always On -1, Permanent +4, Self Only -3. Capacity: Self.
Effect: Arrange your 'knife body' hit boxes however seems appropriate.

Light Armor 2HD (D; 4pts per die; 16pts)
Defends Extras and Flaws: Armored Defence -2, Permanent +4. Capacities: Self.
Effect: Difficult to damage, 2 LAR.

Hyperweapon (Knife) +6D+4WD (1pt per die; 22pts)
Effect: You're really good at stabbing.

Hypercommand +5D (4pts per die; 20pts)
Effect: Not only do you have a commanding presence but you can push vessels way beyond their conventional limits.

Telepathy 8D (U; 1pt per die; 8pts)
Useful Extras & Flaws: Reduced Capacity (Range) -1. Capacity: Range.
Effect: You can telepathically speak to people within range, 128 yards.
>>
>>53088128

I was in a campaign where a guy made an attack power that was so difficult and time-consuming to resolve that the GM made him redo it (I think it had Spray, Electrocuting, and Scattered Shot).
>>
>>53092278
That scatter flaw takes forever no matter what. I like it in concept, but it's just so slow
>>
I feel like you can accomplish what scattered wants to do with judicious use of Area and some if/thens.
>>
>>53092201
This is pretty pro. I'm in awe of your expertise.
>>
>>53092201
Reminds me of this mask I made. Except mine was closer to that drama mask Scp
>>
>>53089320
Posting from mobile right now but wanted to get in on this. The final boss in my campaign controls gravity, and has used it to destroy buildings with a black hole and drop a battle ship from a mile up in the air on the middle of the city. To dat several of my players are legit terrified of him.
>>
>>53094749
Shit, I just realized I never actually got around to making that one gravity npc I wanted to make. I kept wondering why I felt like I was forgetting something
>>
I used this as an antagonist for a game, she finally surrendered to the PCs who had to protect her because everyone else wanted a piece but they needed her help:

Lydia 'Infovore' Cole
BODY 2D COORDINATION 2D SENSE 3D
MIND 3D(6D) COMMAND 2D CHARM 2D
Will 4 - Base 4 (Loyalty: Herself (2); Passion: Obtaining New Skills (1), Maintaining A Certain Lifestyle (1))

Drive(Car) 1D(3D), Empathy 2D(5D), Knowledge(Computers) 3D(9D), Language(Russian) 2D(8D), Leadership 1D(3D), Lie 3D(5D), Persuade 1D(3D), Research 3D(9D), Stability 3D(5D)

Scan Mind 2HD (2pts per die, 8pts)
Useful (Telepathy) +2, Range.
Lydia can scan the minds of those around her, discovering their memories and skills out to 20 yards. She cannot communicate telepathically or read current thoughts.

Devour Mind 5HD (12pts per die, 120pts)
Useful (Devour Memories) +2, Daze +1, If/Then (Only following successful scan) -1, Permanent +4, Range.
Useful (Devour Skills) +2, Daze +1, If/Then (Only following successful scan) -1, Permanent +4, Range.
With a second use of her powers she can remove memories or skills (up to width in skill dice). This does not include alteration and nothing is left in their place but a gap, which becomes conspicuous upon reflection. Doing so adds the memories directly to her own and gives her provisional access to the skills.

Hypermind +3D (4pts per die, 12pts)
Lydia's mental faculties have been boosted by her predatations.

Skill Pool 10D (1pt per die, 10pts)
Hyperskill +1, Attached (Devour Skills) -2, If/Then (Only up to 5D per skill) -1, If/Then (Only for skills gained via Devour Skills) -1, Variable Effect +4.
Lydia can access up to 10D of skills that she has removed from others. She can only replicate them up to the absorbed values so she is always on the lookout for new experts for her library. No emulated skill rating may exceed 5D or use any special dice, regardless of it's source. If she wishes to alter the skills she currently has active it takes her a moment of concentration.
>>
>>53095803
I feel like there's something wrong with the skill devour. Like, I'm pretty sure there's a power like that in one of the books, and it definitely has at least variable effect
>>
>>53095803
That if/then after scan should be attached, and a -2
>>
>>53095870
Ignore this. It's fine
>>
>>53095803
This is real cool. I especially like the Skill Pool miracle, that's a very nice use of both Variable Effect and Attached. I may borrow that at some point for someone in my game.
>>
It's awesome that this thread is still around, it's great to see other people who enjoy Wild Talents and are actually working on content for it. Just wanted to say that as someone whose been playing WT for years and has barely drummed up any interest at all on this board that you guys are great.

So here's something I've been speculating on. In this post >>53044400 I outlined how Variable Effect could be used to create Attacks that had highly modular and conditional damage (in this case, the more water is absorbed by the Leech Crystal, the more damage is inflicted by its detonation). However, I don't feel like this a very good way to do it, since you're basically paying more points for the permission to inflict less damage.

Instead, how about this Flaw:

>Conditional Damage (-1 or -2 Points)
This Flaw can only be applied to an Attacks Quality. A miracle with this function will only do its full damage if certain conditions are met; otherwise it deals some lesser amount of damage.

As an example, a Miracle with Attacks+2 and this Flaw attached to it would only be able to inflict Width+2 in Shock and Killing under the right circumstances. Otherwise it might only inflict Width in Shock and Killing, or Width+2 in Shock, or Width+1 in Shock and Killing, etc... The rules for how much damage you get from which circumstances should be listed in the Miracle's effects.

This Flaw is worth -1 Point if it only affects the raw damage output of the Attack. If it also affects offensive Extras like Spray, Burn or Area then it's worth -2 Points.

How's that look? I think this should work nicely as a way to better model powers with highly variable damage output; otherwise you'd have to create a separate Attacks quality for each amount of damage.
>>
So this is a power for a villain that my players are preparing to go up against but haven't seen her actual capabilities yet. It's a bit abstract, but I think I put it together in a way that makes some sense.

RINGING IN MY EARS (6 pts) 3hd (36 pts)
>D Self (Subtle+1, Willpower Cost-2,Duration+2)
>U Speed (Subtle+1)
Effect: Ringing in My Ears emits an ultrasonic signal that paralyzes the sensory and short-term memory centers of the brain. Upon use, anyone within earshot will cease to perceive the next three seconds, allowing the user to move and act freely. This can be used as a powerful defensive tool, as most attacks launched against Ringing in My Ears' host will fail as their victims are cut off from all outside stimulus. More beguiling is the fact that this power is extremely subtle: only a Scrutiny Check at a Difficulty of 7 will be able to determine what is actually going on, centered on the residual temporary tinnitus inflicted by this power. RiME can also be used as a form of unconventional movement, as anyone within its range will view the user as seeming to teleport instantly.

When used as a form of protection, RiME drains its user's willpower, as the mental focus required to time this power such that it can be effectively used incurs a cost of 3 Willpower per use. However, once triggered it is effective against the next three attacks launched at it in that Round.

DEAD ON ARRIVAL (6 pts) 10d (60 pts)
>A Self (Augment+4, Attached-1(Any Attack Skill), Go First+3, Willpower Cost-2)
Effect: Dead On Arrival functions the same as Ringing In My Ears, but offensively. By freezing the target's senses, the user earns a huge timing advantage, as her victim's ability to interact meaningfully with the outside world is effectively paused. Mechanically, this power allows any Attack Skill to go off as if it had 3 additional Width for speed, at a cost of 3 Willpower per use.
>>
>>53098269
The tldr version: this character can effectively freeze time by preventing everyone within earshot from perceiving the next three seconds after her power is used, during which she can appear to teleport around the room, dodge just about anything coming at her or throw attacks at a tremendous speed advantage (though it's still possible to beat her to the punch if you can secure a high enough Speed on your attack).
>>
bumping from page 9
>>
>>53097053
I think it's probably the best solution for conditional damage we're likely to come up with. I like it

>>53098269
So it's like king crimson?
>>
>>53100576
>So it's like king crimson?
That wasn't the original idea but when I was done I pretty much thought "Oh hey this is pretty much King Crimson, but a bit more coherent."
>>
>>53100698
Which quite nicely illustrates the fact that WT is perfect for Jojo. Half of my villains and characters have ridiculously Jojo powers.
>>
>>53071633
Oh shit was that guy from earlier the guy who does that?
>>
>>53101847
I'd be surprised if he (Ross Peyton) was in this thread, but he posts on Something Awful as clockworkjoe and has actually interviewed Greg Stolze and published an adventure for Monsters and Other Childish Things called Road Trip which is pretty rad. I think he's hosted a con gae that Stolze played or ran on his site too.
>>
>>53087359
Sorry, meant I didn't have the book "with me"
>>
Also, the Drunk and Ugly Podcast has done a lot of One Roll Engine stuff, including several Wild Talents campaigns and quite a lot of Monsters and Other Childish Things, in particular "Shin Megami Tensei and Other Childish Things" where they reflavored it as Persona and it's awesome.
>>
I second that guy who proposed a bi weekly ore thread. Seems fun
>>
how is starORE?
>>
>>53104877
The RPPR guys played it once, though I haven't listened to that one yet. The system seems good though. It handles damage kind of confusingly compared to normal ORE.
>>
Wilma Bennigan
BODY 3D COORDINATION 2D SENSE 2D
MIND 2D COMMAND 2D CHARM 1D
Will 3 - Base 3 (Loyalties: Her Animal Companions (1); Passions: Solitude (2))

Athletics 2D(5D), Brawl 1D(4D), Drive(Truck) 1D(3D), Endurance 1D(4D), First Aid 2D(4D), Knowledge(Nature) 2D(4D), Navigation 3D(5D), Perception 2D(4D), Stability 1D(3D), Survival 3D(5D), Weapon(Rifle) 2D(4D)

Control Animals 6D (3pts per die, 18pts)
Useful (Mind Control) +2, Attached (Call Animals) -2, Duration +2, If/Then (animals only) -1, Radius +2, Range.

Call Animals 2HD (8pts per die, 32pts)
Useful (Summon Animals) +2, Always On -1, Booster (range) +3, Permanent +4, Range.

Wilma's powers put out a constant call to all animals within a 20,000 yard range, guiding them towards her presence. With careful manipulation of the energies that generate this pull she can direct the summoned creatures to do her bidding for short periods of time.

Hooks
- Pets and livestock have been disappearing in the area.
- There have been a spate of animal attacks on a construction company building a nearby industrial farm.
- Someone has kidnapped Wilma's dog and is blackmailing her into having animals commit crimes for them.
>>
>>53106014
clearly the deadliest animal of all is the zookeeper
>>
Damien Higgins - Construction Labourer Turned Burglar
BODY 2D COORDINATION 3D SENSE 2D
MIND 2D COMMAND 1D CHARM 2D
Will 3 - Base 3 (Loyalty: His Ailing Mother (2); Passion: Stock Car Racing (1))

Athletics 2D(4D), Drive(Car) 2D(5D), First Aid 1D(3D), Knowledge (Construction) 2D(4D), Navigation 2D(4D), Perception 2D(4D), Stability 1D(2D), Stealth 1D(4D), Survival 1D(3D)

Doorway Teleportation 8D+1WD (4pts per die; 48pts)
Useful (Teleport) +2, Booster +1, If/Then (only from doorway to doorway) -1, Obvious -1, Range.
Useful (Unlock & Open) +2, Booster +1, Range.

Hypersecurity +2D(4D) (1pt per die; 2pts)

Damien's teleportation shtick allows him to travel between any two doorways within range (~29 miles), disappearing in a flash of light. A side effect of this power also allows him to unlock any lock (door, safe, handcuffs, whatever); with two sets on a multiple action this can be combined to teleport him through a closed and locked door, which the power opens. He has a van - borrowed from work - with a doorway set up in the box.

Hooks (chronological order unless interrupted)
- A string of late-night burglaries have occurred at 3 jewelry stores in different parts of the city in the space of an hour. Review of security footage shows that the same man wearing a cap and sunglasses visited all three stores in the previous week. A shot on an external camera shows him driving a van registered to a local construction company.
- Damien tried to fence the stolen jewelry and his buyer tried to rob him. Damien escaped, with a bullet in his gut, and stashed the jewels. He is on the run, unwilling to go to a hospital, hole up in one place for long or leave the city. The buyer is keen to get a hold of him.
- Damien has been arrested for the thefts and is trying to cooperate with authorities. He needed money to pay for a healer to cure his mother's terminal illness. Superpowered healing is illegal. He is willing to give up information on the healer in return for considerations.
>>
>>53106752
Why is super healing illegal?
>>
File: SuperhealingIllegal.png (499KB, 762x986px) Image search: [Google]
SuperhealingIllegal.png
499KB, 762x986px
>>53107881
Although a part of the worst Wild Talents setting, the concept is easily adaptable.
>>
>>53107984
Yeah it's a shame that the default setting for Wild Talents isn't especially good or anything, but I really like the do-it-yourself setting creation rules it includes.
>>
>>53106014
This reminds me of one of my my characters, a guy named Raphael "Los Lobos" Valdez. His powers:

Wolfpack (1 pt per die) 2hd (4 points)
>Useful (Permanent+4, Self-Only-3, if/then-1(only for Caz and Aulli), if/then-1(both must be active on the field), if/then-1(only for Multiple Actions), Limited Width-1)
Los Lobos' two dogs, Caz and Aulli, act separately under their master’s orders. This feature of their relationship allows the pair to execute two actions using two sets from their pool without taking a Penalty to do so.

Dogwhistle (5 pts per die) 2hd (20 points)
>Useful Range (Focus-1 (Focus-1, Adaptation-2, Manufactured+2), Permanent+4, Attached-1 (Command), Booster+1)
The Dogwhistle is an ultrasonic resonator that allows Los Lobos to transmit commands and orders at frequencies that only dogs can hear. Los Lobos has many models of this tool, but it usually takes the form of a device worn on his collar that automatically translates his orders when he presses a switch on his suit gloves. Most significantly, it allows Los Lobos to communicate instructions to Caz and Aulli over great distances thanks to subdermal transponders implanted in the dogs, up to 200 yards away. It also makes him extremely coercive to other dogs and animals.

(Continued)
>>
>>53109215
(part 2)

Caz and Aulli (8 pts per die)
>Attacks Range+1 (Focus-3 (Focus-1, Adaptation-2), Adjustable Damage+1, Go First+1, Duration+2, Penetration+2, if/then-1(Duration activates if one of the dogs declares that they are biting down after a successful attack), if/then-1 (same as Duration rule))
>Defense Self, Range (Focus-3 (Focus-1, Adaptation-2), Go First+1)
>Useful Range (Focus-3 (Focus-1, Adaptation-2), Variable Effect+4, if/then-1 (only for dog-related actions))
Caz (short for cazar, “hunt”) and Aulli (short of aullido, “howl”) are a pair of dogs bred from a combination of Alaskan Malamute and Australian Cattle Dog, a mix that Los Lobos affectionately calls “Alaskan Shepherds”. Los Lobos has treated the two animals with experimental gene therapy aimed at increasing their already prodigious intelligence, to the point where they are each potentially as smart as a human child-- limited by human standards, but outright genius for adult canines.

Caz and Aulli operate as a pair and respond instantly to Los Lobos’ commands, and can follow complex orders as well as act on abstract information due to their enhanced brainpower. They’re trained to defend their master, identify threats, distinguish friend from foe and work as a single unit along with Los Lobos.

Because of this rapid response time, Caz and Aulli are treated as a extensions of Los Lobos’ character, and their dice pool is rolled as a power being triggered. If instructed they will act independent of Los Lobos, but they are trained to immediately change objects when ordered. When they bite onto a target, they can choose to sink their teeth, allowing them to repeat the attack that they just rolled with Penetration+2.
>>
>>53109229
Ha, should have used Conditional Damage on Caz and Aulli's Attack, not the random +1 Extra I came up with.
>>
>>53109229
why adaptation?

also I feel almost like it'd be a better idea to just use sidekick with some attached hyperstats at this point
>>
>>53109378
>why adaptation?

Because they use the same hit chart as a dog, which is pretty much the definition of the Adaptation Flaw.

>also I feel almost like it'd be a better idea to just use sidekick with some attached hyperstats at this point
I could do it that way, but I wanted to experiment with sidekicks-as-powers, potentially as a jumping off point to a real Jojo game. Also bring in Hyperstats and Skills is probably as complicated as "roll this dice pool to make the dogs do stuff."

That said looking at it now I should make some adjustments; in particular their Attack should really be three attacks (Width+1 in Shock, Width+1 in Killing, Width+1 in Killing w/Duration and Penetration) instead of one with a crazy mix of flaws. The Conditional Damage Flaw that I should have put on it is really for attacks with a wide array of damage gated behind external conditions, which isn't appropriate for this.
>>
>>53109987
ah gotcha. I normally only use adaptation for tech, so it didn't click
>>
>>53110096
Yeah that's what it's designed for, but I thought it would be a clever shortcut around needing to define custom hit locations. Just say "yeah these are dogs, they have dog hit locations." They aren't particularly tough in that respect but they wear canine body armor to even things out.
>>
>>53110209
I'll admit, it's clever. Actually gives me an idea for a mini boss I have planned that creates, for lack of a better term, animal ghost minions (not actual minions, but you get the idea)
>>
Alright I've checked out Wild Talents and it seems pretty good, how is Godlike in comparison?

Is it just rougher and older and less polished, or can it be considered its own thing worth checking out?
>>
>>53110638
It's rougher but also has much better flavor and verve. It's harder to bend into a new form since it's pretty tightly bound to the WWII setting, but within that Setting it's aces.
>>
>>53110777
nice get
>>
>>53110638
Grittier, more focused, tightly bound to its setting. It's powers also work very differently, and personally I prefer it. But if you want to be original in any major way, do wild talents
>>
>>53112743
Well, not "very", but everyone is psychic and the powers are a lot less reliable for the most part
>>
>>53114332
I think it's dead this time.

WEST PRESTONS
>>
Then I'll bump with actual content. If this be the end then it was a great thread chaps. Otherwise:

I don't particularly care for how Wild Talents handles Wealth (as an optional rule). Reign does it better, but I still feel like it can be done better. Here's what I'm going to try out for my group:

MONEY

A character's affluence is measured in two quantities: her Wealth and her Stash.

Wealth is a character's earning potential. It's her career, her part time job, or her ability to pick up change off the sidewalk. However she earns her daily bread, that informs her Wealth. If a character lacks reliable employment, this is probably manifested as a low Wealth score. On the flipside, a wealthy heiress living off a trust probably doesn't need to lift a finger to maintain her Wealth level.

When a character makes a purchase below her Wealth level, nothing changes. A character with Wealth 4 can go to Applebees for three meals a day every day for life and it won't make a dent in their finances.

If a character makes a purchase equal to her Wealth, her Wealth takes a Hit, dropping temporarily by 1. This recovers at the start of the next session. If her Wealth gets Hit down to 0, she won't be able to make any more purchases at her Wealth level during that session. Note that taking hits doesn't deplete your Wealth at all; If a character with Wealth 3 takes 2 Hits, so that her temporary Wealth is reduced to 1, she can still make unlimited purchases valued at 2, since she's still a Wealth 3 character.

What DOES impact a character's Wealth is making purchases ABOVE her Wealth level. Doing that permamently drops her Wealth by 1, at least until she succeeds in some action that restores her standing. Essentially this represent that you're spending above your means.

(1/2)
>>
>>53115776
(continued 2/2)

To shore up her finances, a character can make use of her Stash. The Stash is a character's savings, be it in a Swiss bank account or buried in a hole in her backyard. A character can buy stuff using her Stash, but Hits to the Stash don't regenerate next session. That cash you stole from the Red Hand Yakuza doesn't magically grow back after you've plundered it to pay for the exorbitant medical charges incurred from its acquisition.

Naturally my collaborators are going to put together a Stuff to Buy chart for WT based on Reign's list, but we're pretty happy so far with this idea and are excited to try it out.
>>
>>53115776
>>53115816
That's actually really cool, I'll keep it in mind.
>>
File: will to power.jpg (90KB, 900x1182px) Image search: [Google]
will to power.jpg
90KB, 900x1182px
how easy is it to take Godlike NPCs and put them in a Wild Talents game

some of the Nazi talents from Will to Power could make for a nice villain team
>>
>>53116624
Never read Will to Power. Does it include Tragheit, the Nazi Talent that kills dudes by shooting them into orbit so they burn-up in the atmosphere? Because that guy's a diiiiiiick.
>>
>>53116757
yes, page 53-54
>stats
Body 1
Coordination 3
Brains 3
Command 4
Cool 5

>Skills
Brawling 3, Dodge 3, Driving 2, Endurance 1, Grenade 1, Health 1, Inspire 12, Intimidation 3, Knife Fighting 1, Languages (German 3 English 3 Russian 2, French 3), Lie 2, Machine Gun 2, Map reading 1, mental stability 5, Mortar 2, Navigation (Land) 2, Pistol 3, Radio operation 2, Rifle 2, Stealth 2, Submachine Gun 2, Survival 2, Tactics 3.

Base Willpower: 9

Talent powers (cost 100 Will points)
Remove Inertia from Objects (Qualities: Attacks, Defends, Useful outside of combat, Robust)
10HD (Equivalent to Disintegrate, must touch target; Side effect: Objects incinerated as they are thrown into space; 100pts)
Maximum weight affected: 2 tons
>>
File: lumberjack.png (144KB, 483x885px) Image search: [Google]
lumberjack.png
144KB, 483x885px
>>53116935
Always been partial to this guy.
>>
>>53116935
Haha that guy has 5d cool? Would not have imagined him as the ladykiller type given his power.
>>
>>53118074
For reference: Das Tragheit is a nazi Talent who's power allows him to negate the interia from any object he touches. This probably has all kinds of interesting effects, but that's kind of overridden by the fact that a lot of an objects inertia is tied up with the Earth rotating at a 1000 miles per hour. So the ACTUAL result is that anything he touches goes rocketing into the sky and burns up in the atmosphere.

He was typically teamed up with another German Talent whose power allowed him to blanket an area with impenetrable fog. The two of them with cloud an enemy unit, and then Tragheit would walk through it and tap everyone inside the cloud. So anyone watching from outside would see this dense cloud bank and dozens of Allied soldiers being thrown into the stratosphere like human V2 rockets.

Tragheit always made me think of a player who min-maxed his character to do exactly one thing incredibly well.
>>
>>53115885
Thanks! I also wrote up a simplified First Aid system, since the default system in WT is kind of kludgy. This is more straightforward, and also makes healing a bit more forgiving (which may be a good thing or bad thing, depending on how gritty you want your setting to be).

>Healing Shock
A First Aid roll can always remove Width in Shock from a person. The shock can come from any location or combination of locations.

>Healing Killing
If you have at least 3d in First aid, you can heal Killing if you roll a Width of 3 or higher.
**Width of 3: Convert 1 Killing to Shock
**Width of 4: Remove 1 Killing

You can combine these actions if you have enough Width

>Example: If you roll a Width of 6, you can Convert 2 Killing to Shock, OR you can Convert 1 Killing to Shock and Remove 3 Shock, OR you can Remove 1 Killing and 2 Shock.

>Multiple Action:
If you perform Multiple Actions with First Aid, you can combine the Widths of your Sets together.

>Example: With Multiple First Aid Actions, you roll a set of 2x4 and 2x6. Your total Width for healing is 4.

>Healing Yourself
You can perform First Aid on yourself at a -1d penalty, unless you have a Command of 4d or more, in which case you have no penalty.

>Healing with Friends
If two or more people perform First Aid on the same patient, they can combine their Widths together.

>Heal Limits
The number of times you can have First Aid performed on you is equal to your Body Dice. You can recover one First Aid use each night that you experience a restful night's sleep.

If multiple characters perform First Aid on you together, each of their rolls counts as a check towards this limit.
>>
>>53118763
Straight upwards? Or on an angle? Because the latter makes it both risky and potentially more useful.
>>
>>53118858
That's not made clear, but towards the end of the war the Germans did use Tragheit to successful launch a man-made object into space, beating Sputnik by a good decade.
>>
>>53116757
holy shit i need to read this

any pdfs?
>>
>>53119436
Yeah I'm only familiar with the Talents described in the Godlike core book, so I'd love to see some of the added ones.

Pevnost is my hero.
>>
>>53119436
>>53120015

I've never seen a Golike PDF that wasn't the core rule book
>>
File: ORE Toolkit.pdf (4MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
ORE Toolkit.pdf
4MB, 1x1px
>>
>>53123630
Rock on
>>
File: favouredland.png (2MB, 762x986px) Image search: [Google]
favouredland.png
2MB, 762x986px
What's everyone's favourite Wild Talents setting and what makes it better than the others?
>>
>>53125569
Progenitor is probably the coolest published setting.

In brief, it speculates that superpowers are basically communicable. It all starts with an unassuming housewife in the 1950s and spirals out of control from there, with multiple apocalypses and world leaders becoming superhuman. In a way it's the exact opposite of Godlike, where superpowers don't really change the events of the the War in any meaningful way. In Progenitor, EVERYTHING changes.
>>
>>53123630
Man, I'm impressed by the sheer amount of work that went into making this but everytime I look at it it strikes me as just...not good.

In my experience, the ORE as a basic mechanic (roll a dice pool, sort out Sets) works for just about any kind of game, but the rules surrounding that mechanic need to be optimized for the setting and themes you're going for. Trying to create a one-stop-shop for it isn't a very good idea. On top of that, the creator here goes WAY overboard with just about everything. It's got like 40 pages of Esoteric Disciplines and Martial Paths, including paths for using plasma and sonic weapons, and vehicle rules that are ridiculously elaborate.

I appreciate what the writer's going for here, I just feel like there's no way most of this stuff could have been tested before it was unleashed on the internet. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
>>
>>53041447
Wild Talents can be great for much of the same reasons as Godlike but even more. It can also be unbelievably shitty for the same reasons.

Thing is, Godlike let you do basically whatever. Wild Talents lets you do whatever and crank it up to 11. Godlike labeled some powers as unsuitable for player characters and meant it, Wild Talents lets you make your own powers that can be even less suitable, and play tehm if you want.

All that stuff about casters in D&D 3 and later? Aside from the most insane "definitely not as intended" shit like Pun-Pun, you can be crazier.

That guy who just wanted to make a half decent Batman and not bend the system over a barrel? He's the unoptimized fighter with bad stats.

This is a system that is specifically designed with no concern for balance whatsoever. You will need a high degree of cooperative attitude from everyone including the GM if this is going to work.

Basically at the very least you need everyone to be able to recognize how broken you want the campaign to be, and dial things back if they break things too hard. To make this work you will need a good familiarity which you won't have at the start, so expect to do a lot of this.

Once you _can_ work with the system, it's incredible at expressing how you want a character to work. That's the good part.
>>
>>53127575
This is all true, but I don't think it's *quite* as negative as it's coming across. Maybe it's because I've been playing for years, but it's fairly easy for me and the other player with whom I share GMing to keep things balanced at the point where we want it. We haven't had any accidental party wipes and have dialed in the finer points of the system enough where there's little chance of anything really breaking as far as combat is concerned.

The real key, as you mentioned, is that everyone needs to be on the same page. If the players want to play the Justice League, then all of the PCs should fit into that theme, and you probably want to tailor the rules accordingly (which the rulebook includes suggestions for). If they want to Play X-Men, that's a whole different power level, and if they want to play in the Watchmen universe, that's another level still (and you probably want to keep them away from Dr. Manhatten). The point is that creating a party of characters in WT *must* be collaborative, because the game has practically no internal balancing mechanics. Even the point costs are practically meaningless; WT should have kept something along the lines of Godlike's Will Points for power creation instead of siloing it all together. As it stands, after 3 years of playing the game I pretty much do a new NPC's point calculation after the fact, out of personal curiosity.

The one thing that I think is genuinely missing from the game, and which I would love to see in a 3rd Edition of WT, is better support for Hyperskills. As it stands, a character with Hypertraining as their Permission is largely limited to "Has more dice" compared to a character with legit miracles. This is usually fine since More Dice can be extremely powerful in-and-of themselves, but it's not especially interesting. I've begun importing aspects of Reign's Esoteric Disciplines into WT to shore up more "mundane" characters.
>>
I'll give this one more bump. Best ORE thread I've ever been in.
>>
>>53128157
personally, i just give them the ability to throw on certain extras. Like, throw interference and endless on dodge, and then make an unconventional move that triggers when they dodge. The way we've ruled that working is basically you have danger sense, and when you dodge you can dash to anywhere in the abilities radius. 6 coordination and 5 hard dice in that, plus 2 hardened light armor, and he's surprisingly hard to actually take down

its not quite accurate, but it keeps my peak human happy
>>
>>53131019
oh, and an ability that's basically "throw ball bearings everywhere" it forces anyone touching the ground to make an athletics check or get knocked prone.

He has 2 hard dice in athletics with endless, so he normally just uses that ability and crowd controls anyone who manages to get up.

it's fucking hilarious
>>
>>53131019
Nice, I can dig it. I've thrown Extras onto Hyperskills before, like a character with Spray+1 on Weapon (Throwing Knives). Interference/Duration/Endless certainly work for defensive skills quite nicely. The Dodge Podge is a great example of that.

It's awesome that you can do that, and it would be nice if the rules were written in a way to encourage that kind of design. It's kind of a challenge to figure out how you're supposed to use Hyperskills to let characters do different things with skills instead of just doing them better.

For your ball bearings ability is that just "Coordination+Ball Buster" roll? How did you set that up?
>>
>>53131220
the ball pit (his name for it) is basically built like the bind miracle, give it radius, and then if/then (target must be touching the ground).

we flavored it as he just has a backpack full of ball bearings that he dumps on the ground, so we gave it focus and depleted.

He refills it by either buying more ball bearings or picking them up with a dustpan and brush after the fight

honestly he's one of the best character's my players have ever come up with
>>
>>53131393
oh, and throw on duration ( i think thats included in the book's bind, but i forget)
>>
>>53131393
That's really beautiful.

So is it in-fact a Miracle, or did you build it around a Hyperskill?

One thing I've been considering is homebrew rule for Hyperskills along those lines that says "you can trade extra dice for added effects" in order to give very specific uses for skills, but I'm finding that importing the Esoteric Disciplines system to be more productive. I've already done that with a number of Martial Paths, changing them into real world combat styles like Sambo, Kickboxing and Aikido, and my players have been loving it.
>>
>>53131597
It technically is a miracle, but we could honestly just give it operational skill (athletics) or what have you, and it would work exactly the same,

Thing is it's a completely mundane miracle, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I mean by the system definition, body armor and firearms are miracles built into foci
>>
>>53131654
That's what I figured. It's a good way to work around that lack of support; you could do it as a kind of modified Power Theme permission into the Archetype, with that theme being "Stuff you can buy from Home Depot". You've genuinely given me something to think about.
>>
>>53131597
but yeah, the character also has more tricks, like tear gas grenades when he has endless endurance, electrified stereo wire traps that daze opponents, and when all else fails, hyperskill: knowledge(explosives) (and chemistry, and architecture, etc)

oh and one last tidbit, he's actually named "bat man"

Because his signature weapon is an electrified bat with a stop sign welded to it

the only reason he's even half balanced is because he's honestly super squishy if you lock him down, and without explosives hes doesn't actually deal much damage at all

that's what the rest of the party is for
>>
>>53131697
in all honesty, let your characters do what it would make sense for them to do. and dont be afraid to make custom archetypes for individual characters
>>
>>53131781
This is a good philosophy. Archetypes aren't terribly important to my table because we only have three of them and they have fairly broad capabilities (which is a nice contrast to >>53077724 this anon, who has a much more complex archetype system). It's nice that the system works both ways.

I'd love to see that character sheet, btw.

Any other houserules your group uses?
>>
Hello there, thread.
Can I use this system for lighthearted cape shenanigans?
>>
>>53132005
absolutely, if you look at the wild talents pdf posted earlier in the thread, you'll notice rules for "4-color" games. thats the short hand for more campy, and light games.

they reduce legality, and you'll normally have a higher budget for your characters

>>53131990
Unfortunately, the sheet's with it's player right now, and he's somewhere in Singapore at the moment. Even then, it'd probably be hard to read it underneath all the doodles
>>
File: All Might.jpg (108KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
All Might.jpg
108KB, 1280x720px
>>53132076
Thanks, for a moment I thought I had to learn GURPS.
>>
>>53132005
I'd argue it's not *ideal* for that but it's totally supported.

From the book:

"Four-Color: Four-Color is the flavor of the standard comic book, where characters are larger than life. When they fail, they fail dramatically, but in the end the bad guys are punished, the good guys win and everything works out. This is the world of the Justice League, Superman and the Avengers. It’s concerned with vivid characters and spectacular action.

Characters in a four-color game have powers (and how!) and are able to effect nearly any change in the short term. They may be in danger of being knocked out, captured, or beaten up, but they are not usually in direct danger of death. Of course, from time to time even the most central four-color character dies—but such deaths rarely last!

This flavor is good for players who enjoy over-the-top action and world-spanning (sometimes universe-spanning) adventures. Anything (and often everything) can happen in a four-color game, and characters are usually built on a high Point Total."

The Optional Damage rules on page 62 make that kind of gameplay easier to run.

By default, the One Roll Engine is_pretty lethal_ so it may take some fine-tuning to get it where you're comfortable.
>>
>>53132110
I dream of a world where the default response to "What system should I use" isn't "Try GURPS" and instead is "check out the One Roll Engine."

It's not a perfect system, but it's super fun.
>>
>>53132005
Wild Talents can do that, just gotta be more careful with powers, it can be a pretty lethal game

the old FASERIP system for Marvel Superheroes is definitely made for lighthearted 4 color superheroics (the heroes aren't even supposed to kill or they lose karma)
>>
>>53132188
Here's how to tone down WT lethality:

1.) Miracles with the Attacks quality inflict Width in Killing as a default. You can reduce it to Width in Shock for -1 point, or increase it to Width in Shock and Killing for +1.

2.) Shock doesn't stack up into Killing. When a limb is full of Shock, any additional shock goes to the target's torso instead of piling up in that limb.

3.) Weapons with Spray don't add their rating as bonus dice.

Those three rules should make combat more friendly. You could also change Guns to inflict Width in Killing as a default, but then you're depriving yourself of the Very Special Issue that teaches kids the dangers of gun violence.
>>
So what should be included in the OP of a biweekly One Roll Engine thread?

Obviously a list of ORE games and their genres, but would it work to include a three sentence rundown of how the system works? What else might grab someone's attention so that they'd venture into a thread they otherwise wouldn't notice?
>>
>>53132384
A weekly theme. Like next week might be "lets make characters" and we could build characters based on what anon's ask or post the more interesting characters we've built.

or like, "how do you guys do X"

Idk, just some topic to crystallize initial conversation
>>
>>53132301
>>53132188
>>53132137
>>53132076

Don't worry, I have little problem with lethality, but thanks anyway.
>>
>>53132739
just to make sure you understand why we keep focusing on lethality, here's a list of things that have almost caused a tpk in my game,

1) the party got into a car crash
2) a hobo with a sniper rifle (though that was also my party being idiots)
3) botched grenade throw. a single grenade took half of them down (though they were slightly injured from suppressing fire)

and on top of that, I've had multiple people get one shot (or at least got knocked down to zero willpower. which is almost just as bad) from standard combat. And this is just me soft balling them. though to be fair they got better at the whole "not dying thing"
>>
>>53132853
I'm thinking about Boku no Hero Academia and pic related. I expect them to not get shot at in the first place, but if the dumbasses tries to swallow a granade it'll be as deadly as it has to be. I'll lower lethality a bit, but not much.

This guy's post was pretty useful.>>53132301
>>
File: Sky High.jpg (359KB, 1000x1430px) Image search: [Google]
Sky High.jpg
359KB, 1000x1430px
>>53132967
This is the pic, since I'm a dolt.
>>
>>53132967
This is an awesome concept for a game frankly, and I endorse it; any help you need I'll gladly provide.
>>
>>53132853
Ha ha this is a fun game.

A very determined man with a baseball bat almost wrecked my gunslinger character by nearly filling all his limbs with killing. After the fact we decided to promote him into a full fledged recurring villain named "Bijay the Bonebreaker."

Another character almost got sent to the hospital when he was set upon by some disgruntled football players.
>>
>>53132967
Man I wish my group was into this idea. I proposed a sort of "Wild Talents High" idea and they shot it down.

Do yourself a favor and check out Monsters and Other Childish Things; the Relationship system from that game could work nicely for a high-school or college type setting.
>>
>>53132384
>What else might grab someone's attention so that they'd venture into a thread they otherwise wouldn't notice?
A snazzy picture.

>>53132678
>just some topic to crystallize initial conversation
This'll be the best thing for turning the engine over. The game itself is just the frame. I'd also suggest having a secondary topic in the OP about lesser known ORE systems, like A Dirty World or Nemesis.
>>
>>53135766
A snazzy picture is a must
>>
>>53135766
>>53135884
Good suggestions. Next thread I'll make sure to have both. Too bad the art in basically every single One Roll Engine product (except for A Dirty World and Better Angels, I guess) is either awful or non-existent. I'll work something up though.
>>
>>53135884
>A snazzy related picture that wont derail the thread is a must
FTFY
>>
Oh I also have to give huge props to the original OP for kicking off this rad thread.
>>
>>53135384
Will do!
>>
>>53136312
Please let us know in the next thread how things are going with this! It sounds like a rad idea.
>>
>>53137274
As practice, I'll make some NPCs and post them in the threads.
Does that sound good?
>>
>>53136211
Thanks man. I'm still getting char gen down, but I gotta say this threads been super helpful.

I'm totally stealing that bat dude for my campaign though
>>
>>53137331
Do it.
>>
>>53136097
Just use anything vaguely superhero related

I'm sure that won't backfire in anyway

On the topic of characters though,
I've been working on this one talent
who's power is basically 1) generate "fake" willpower, 2) use that as fuel for a very basic attack power with variable effect and no upward limit

Could this concept be done?
>>
>>53137561
As it happens there's an official instance of just this happening: http://arcdream.com/home/2012/10/wild-talents-building-powerhound-in-grim-war/

Here's a different example I'd posted in a previous thread that also follows the same idea:

Luck Vampire

8D Aces (ADU, 9pts per die, 72pts)
As the Aces miracle from p.140 w/ If/Then (only using willpower from luck battery) -1 on all qualities.

8D Jinx (ADU, 8pts per die, 64pts)
As the Jinx miracle from p.151 w/ Uncontrollable -2 replacing Willpower Cost -2 on all qualities.

Luck Battery 10HD (UU, 2pts per die, 40pts)
Useful (Gain Willpower) +2, Attached (Jinx) -2, Endless +3, If/Then (only equal to the width of a successful Jinx roll) -1, Self Only -3. Capacity: Self.
Useful (Store Willpower) +2, Attached (Gain Willpower) -2, Endless +3, If/Then (only to be spent on Aces) -1, Self Only -3. Capacity: Self.

Using Jinx to hamstring die rolls generates a pseudo-willpower reserve which is stored in a modified Willpower Battery miracle (holding up to 10 points) which in turn can only be used to power the Aces miracle. Ordinarily a miracle that generates willpower would be way out of bounds, but in this capacity it functions more like a limited token system (in addition to the fact that the player can't control the target of their Jinx power, just when it gets set off).
>>
Are there any rules for vehicles? Like if you want your baddie of the week to be a big mech.
>>
>>53137779
Right here: http://arcdream.com/home/2013/03/power-sets-super-vehicles/

Stat the frame as a base and then attach the other powers to it.
>>
>>53137758
interesting, never thought of chaining abilities like that before
>>
>>53137779
Are you planning for this kind of thing to be a one-off, or are you expecting to face that kind of thing on a regular basis?
>>
>>53138042
Thanks! Will take a look at it.

>>53138220
One off for now, though there's always someone trying to make a bigger, better weapon.
>>
>>53137758
I hope that after reading the book from cover to cover I'll understand that. It's deontic operators all over again.
>>
>>53138275
Aces and Jinx are two of the more complex powers in the book, so you're not alone.
>>
is 15 d10s enough to play?
>>
>>53138441
rule of thumb, 10 for you, 10 for them. minimum
>>53138275
basically jinx removes dice from someones pool, aces add them to yours. All that extra stuff is basically saying "You can only use as many dice as you knock off".
>>53138292
not really, it's just "augment:the power"
>>
>>53138487
note when i say minimum, i mean the actual definition of minimum, where it means you'll actually be ok with that many.
>>
>>53138487
>>53138499

>minimum
Another trip to the LGS!
At least my dicebox is filling nicely.
>>
>>53138441
A single player will only ever roll 10d. The GM will need more for rolling multiple NPCs at once, but with the ORE you never roll more than 10d.
>>
>>53138564
How many?
10d per npc?
10d for players, 10d for me?
>>
>>53138584
I had one GM have 10 per player, and 10 for him, but i thought that was overkill, sharing dice is not hard.

I only recommend you have a separate 10 for you so you can roll behind a screen, and the players can pass around their 10.

course that's just what works for me
>>
>>53138645
shit i accidentally a line

you should have 20 dice, 10 for you 10 for players, unless you expect everyone to be rolling all at once all the time, in which case more might be justified

but 20 is already a lot, so try it with that first
>>
>>53138670
>>53138645
I'll get five more tomorrow then.
>>
>>53138275
>>53138292
>>53138487
>basically jinx removes dice from someones pool, aces add them to yours. All that extra stuff is basically saying "You can only use as many dice as you knock off".
Pretty much, it goes like this:

1) Jinx, if there are multiple rollers you don't control who it hits. Let's say you're in a rooftop chase, stop for a moment and get 3x9 ruining someone's day as they plummet two stories while trying to leap between buildings.
2) Luck Battery generates and stores 3 points, based on the width.
3) You've got 3 points that can be turned into Aces dice on a 1-for-1 basis.
>>
>>53139097
it stores up to 10 points I thought? unless im missing something
>>
>>53140047
Yeah, you can go back to the Jinx well as many times as you need to to fill it up.
>>
Bump, because I hope that batman guy comes back
>>
>>53140999
I didn't leave, I just didn't think people were that interested. What do you want to know?
>>
So question: do we want to let this discussion go fallow for a week, or continue with a new thread right away? Because maybe it still has legs?
>>
>>53142250
idk try a new one the day after I guess. Worst that can happen is it dies right?
>>
I made this for the Stat Yondu Thread:

Yondu Udonta

STATS
Body 3d Coordination 3d
Sense 2d Mind 2d
Charm 3d Command 4d
BASE WILL 7

SKILLS
Athletics 2d (4d), Brawling 3d (6d), Block 2d (5d), Endurance 1d (4d), Dodge 2d (5d), Drive (Ravager Vessel) 3d (6d), Stealth 3d (5d), Weapon (Firearms) 2d (5d), Perception 2d (4d), Empathy 2d (4d), Scrutiny 1d (3d), Navigation 3d (5d), Streetwise 3d (5d), Lie 2d (5d), Persuade 2d (5d), Intimidate 3d (7d), Interrogate 2d (6d), Leadership 4d (8d), Stability 3d (6d)

LOYALTY: His Crew (2), The Ravagers (1), Peter Quill (3)
PASSION: Getting Paid (1)

WHISTLING ARROW (10 pts per die) 5d+1wd (90 pts)
Attacks Range+1 (Delicate Focus-2, On Sight+1, Go First+1, Spray+4, If/Then-1(each Spray set must be applied to different target), Locational-1, Penetration+3)
Useful Speed
EFFECTS: Yondu's Whistling Arrow is a deadly ranged weapon inflicting Width+1 in Shock and Killing. It has a thermally charged arrowhead capable of piercing up to 3 layers of armor; exceptional speed allowing it to strike targets as if its Width was 1 greater for timing purposes; and precise guidance, which adds +4d to Yondu's dice pool and allows him to use each Set he rolls as an attack against a different target. The arrow has an effective range of 320 yards and can be guided to targets even through transmitted images, such as through a security feed.

Yondu controls his arrow by means of a fin-like apparatus attached to his cranium. It has 3 hit boxes, and striking it requires a Height of 10. A blow to the head is also capable of breaking Yondu's concentration, nullifying any unresolved Sets for that round.*

In a pinch, Yondu can also grasp the arrow in his hand to use it to slow his descent as a sort of makeshift parachute.

*this last element is a bit dodgy since it doesn't ACTUALLY happen in the film, but it seems a fair trade-off since this is a ridiculously lethal weapon
>>
Difference between Perception and Scrutiny?
>>
>>53144947
Perception is a wide-angle lens. It detects objects and movement in the world around you.

Scrutiny is a magnifying glass. It's used to perceive precise details about things that would otherwise go unnoticed.

At my table this has always been kind of fudgey. We've actually phased out Scrutiny in favor of a homebrew Intuition skill which is mainly used as a sort of metagamey danger radar.
>>
>>53128157
>creating a party of characters in WT *must* be collaborative, because the game has practically no internal balancing mechanics

This is important for any game except e g Amber and even then I'm iffy about it; it's no fun for the player who gets shafted in generation. And in WT I'd argue it's _essential_.

My post mostly covered failure modes but I think yours is essential reading for getting WT to work.
>>
>>53145722
Precisely. Batman and Aquaman being part of the JLA alongside Superman, Flash and Green Lantern works because the writers have full narrative control over who does what and what happens to who. That doesn't work in a tabletop RPG, so people need to be better coordinated to prevent a BMX Bandit/Angel Summoner scenario.
>>
>>53146987
I dont' think Aquaman deserves to be next batman.
>>
So here's a little something I'm working on right now. It's an expanded ruleset for car action in Wild Talents. Right now I've got the rules for a car's Stats and hit locations done up, and I'm working through some simple rules for car action sequences.

>https://pastebin.com/mEgsgpLr
>>
Has /tg/ ever done good on the plan to use this game to create a Middle Eastern superhero setting?
>>
>>53148847
Not that I've ever heard but that sounds pretty awesome! Want to share what you have in mind?

Also completed (I think) Vehicle rules:

https://pastebin.com/UrymL0r9

I'm going to test these out next chance I get, see how they work.
>>
Aaand that's the bump limit.

Before the thread gets archived, does anyone have any ideas for stuff that I could add to a first-timer advice pastebin? I've already got this
>>53128157, >>53132301 and >>53132853
>>
>>53149733
Saving the walktrough of how to make a power would be handy, I think
>>
>>53150284
Good call, I added that to the txt file I'm making. I'll probably end up making it a separate pastebin since it's pretty long
>>
>>53149733
post a link to >>53087522
>>
It was a good thread, thank you for introducing me to this ugly looking book.
>>
>>53152556
I'll make another one in a week or so (though of course anyone is welcome to throw one up if it tickles their fancy)
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.