[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 34

File: 300px-CatachanJungleFighters.jpg (21KB, 300x291px) Image search: [Google]
300px-CatachanJungleFighters.jpg
21KB, 300x291px
For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than we can possibly imagine.

>Where did the Mandragora Apocrypha go?
The namefag working on it has fucked off to finish it in peace after our autists yelled at him over the unfinished version they found.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
>Now in Homebrew megafolder

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.10) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.4) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)

Previous thread: >>52930853

What is the most ridiculous thing you or one of your players has done in a game?
>>
what would a heavily armed river boat be armed with for ork hunting?

i want it to be like the famous PBR, which had a twin linked .50cal, two 7.62mm machine guns, and the ability to use 40mm grenade guns

thats a lot of dakka for one boat, but boats can hold more guns so it should be alright
>>
>>53019025
Rammed a heavily modified cruiser into an orbital tau defense facility, crashing it into their embassy/capital on the planet below. Power ram, armored prow, reinforced prow... 4d10+1d5 dam at once is p good
>>
I'm about to start a DH2 game, and I'm making my first ever psyker. The plan is to go heavily into biomancy and telepathy, with a later smattering of Sanctic Daemonology. Are there any other powers I should consider picking up because of their versatility/utility, or 'trap' powers I should avoid? The GM has hinted our inquisitor is going to be radical... how can I prepare for this? I'm expecting daemonhosts.
>>
>>53019056

Given that you're fighting Orks, I believe a river monitor like this one with its flamethrower. Slap an inferno cannon on it is my suggestion.
>>
What's the worst time you've had with a 40k rpg? For me it was when the GM invited one of his friends for a one shot DH game. We went to a random feudal world on suspicion of heresy. After we killed some feral orks and found an artefact of some saint or another, we returned to the governor's palace, where new guy killed the governor for no reason. Not wanting to completely ruin the story, the GM decided that the governor had been a pink horror all along! This eventually resulted in an exterminatus and a feeling that this adventure could have been a lot better.
>>
Would there be any issues attaching a hand cannon to a ballistic mechadendrite?
>>
File: IQ_Neko.png (61KB, 433x696px) Image search: [Google]
IQ_Neko.png
61KB, 433x696px
>>53019025

How do I stat out and play a Felinid Abhuman (of /tg/ anime cat-girl interpretation)? The game will be play by post.
>>
How do I best role play the religious element of a Tech-Priest character?
>>
>>53012111
This guy again, hoping for any more information of about the Tau and/or how they'd compete with a feral world my DH group is trying to convert, or at least contain.

The feral world natives will probably be lowtech but well-mounted in snowy, forested terrain (any advice on Vehicle rules, by the way?). I read somewhere the Tau have a relatively recent history of tribal warfare and diplomacy, seems like they'd have quite the advantage over the boots and treads and lasfire of the Imperium.
>>
>>53024723
Incorporating rites and hymns in your tech stuff. Kneel while recharging laspacks. Press a row of buttons like prayer beads when you clear a jam. Chant a short binary prayer as you repair vehicles.

Or be really pushy about the Omnissiah. You do probably have low Fellowship, so it'll be grating and weird.
>>
>>53024723
Install gentoo.

But really, the religious side can come apparent in the same way a food connoisseur might express his delight at a deceivingly smooth peanut sauce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st21dIMaGMs
>oh baby listen to that 2.4 Ghz processor whine~
>>
>>53024699
which system?
>>
>>53019025
Killed Sanguinus.

It was actually an Ogryn with chicken wings glued to its shoulders, but a lot of heavy drugs were involved on both ends. And a mind-plague.
>>
Murdering Severus Agemman and bringing a end to the Ultramarines by having a greater lord of change possessing Rowboat Girlyman.

It was a long black crusade game.
>>
>>53019025
>What is the most ridiculous thing you or one of your players has done in a game?

Let the guy who tried to kill them moments earlier go because of some bullshit excuse
>>
Has anyone made playable tzaangors in Black Crusade
>>
>>53028570

I don't think so. Not many like to touch the new material. It should be really easy though. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to make one if one really tries.
>>
>>53028570
>>53028807
Doesn't the handful of "mutant" classes work pretty good as a base already for Tzaangors?
>>
>>53028848

You mean the Rewards of Tzeentch for reaching corruption goals? Those appear to be more based around psychic powers and fire-based attacks, not swole birdman relic hunters. I don't think these books even conceptualized tzaangors. At the time Black Crusade was released, those things were straight out of 1e/2e, and probably weren't considered modern or valid.
>>
>>53028969
Nah, I meant the Mutant archetype from DH2 and the like.
>>
>>53019025
We needed money to pay for a ferry ride, so we entered a crab into a boxing tournament. Due to an absurd amount of combat drugs and makeshit biotics, it won
>>
>>53024699
How did your character get off of Carlos? which system?
>>
>>53019025
>What is the most ridiculous thing you or one of your players has done in a game?
My groups Rogue Trader played a game of Ro-Sham-Bo with a Radical Ordo Xenos Inquisitor to see who'd get first dibs on some xeno tech in some ruins they were doing a joint investigation on.
>>
>>53029385

Who won?
>>
>>53028807

Sounds like you're offering.
>>
>>53030088
The Inquisitor, fair and square too, seeing as we physically played Ro-Sham-Bo to decide it rather than rolling dice.

Rogue Trader later claimed, in private, that he let her win because he didn't want an angry Inquisitor riding his ass, seeing as she was the one that was responsible for financing their first ship and they're still paying it off.
>>
>>53030473

Okay. Give me an hour.
>>
How soon should someone in a Dark Heresy game pick up Forbidden Lore (Heresy)?
>>
File: Tzaangor v1.0.0.pdf (573KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Tzaangor v1.0.0.pdf
573KB, 1x1px
>>53030473

It took me longer than an hour. It took me two. I guess I get to eat shit.

See how this functions. The Tzaangor is built as a Tzeentch aligned frontlining combat guy, with bonuses against enemies with relics or rare gear. It is mortal, but it's a little bit tougher than your average human. It doesn't have as much talent and skill choices as Archetypes such as the Frost Father, Pirate Prince, or Death Priest, but you DO have a slight choice in Gifts of the Gods, abilities that boost you up when charging and fighting relic bearers, and a unique advancement as you prove yourself to Tzeentch. Unfortunately, as a combat Tzeentch guy, he's gonna be hard to build, since you need to balance your Tzeentch advances with combat advances that are probably in Khorne and Nurgle camps. I fucking hate Black Crusade and its bullshit alignment system.
>>
>>53029292
>>53025668

>which system?

Dark Heresy, 1st Edition.

>How did your character get off of Carlos?

She was smuggled off by a Radical Inquisitor who took interest in her. The game will mainly take place on Feral Worlds so her nature won't be as big of an issue, she'll have to hide it elsewhere. He career will be Scum.
>>
>>53033323

*Her career
>>
anyone running a game of rogue trader/dark heresy/ black crusade over Discord and or roll20? ive been itching to play in a second session.
>>
>>53033035

>frontline combat
>tzeentch

Do those even belong in the same sentence? Also, nice palindrome get.
>>
>>53034147
tzaangors are the closest thing Tzeentch has to a "rip and tear" force.
>>
File: Armageddon_0.3 by Toastie.png (274KB, 1628x1476px) Image search: [Google]
Armageddon_0.3 by Toastie.png
274KB, 1628x1476px
Hosting a 40k risk game here:
>>53034529
Please come and help me alpha test, I need people who can rp 40k.
>>
How is Malcador generally viewed within the imperium and the administratum some 10k years after his death?
>>
>>53019025
So I was aware that only war had convoluted rules but holy shit. We did our chargen session last night and trying to talk 6 people through that piece of shit book had me ready to scrap the whole campaign. Don't even get me started on the learning/teaching combat.

My question is, I have about 30 pages of reference material right now and was wondering if anyone had a concise, consolidated cheat sheet they use for general play and/or combat in Only War.
>>
>>53033035
Gal Vorbak stats and rules when?
>>
Ok
What are the do's and donot's of playing Operator as tank driver in Only War.
Point buy, 1000xp.
>>
>>53037345
Do make sure you can actually drive your vehicle and assist the tech priest in making repairs to it.
>>
>>53037519
Sure, got it
Any recommended talent ?
>>
>>53038694
If you plan to use your comrade as a gunner, look at some of the weapon mastery talents.
>>
>>53034049
Anyone?
>>
>>53019025
My players detonated a grand cruiser in a busy port and allowed a greater daemon to be summoned using the bloodshed and violence if the explosion as sacrifice.

They were the good guys.
>>
File: aott.jpg (176KB, 650x651px) Image search: [Google]
aott.jpg
176KB, 650x651px
This just cropped up. Are we getting a series of DH styled novels?
>>
>>53040421
>Lady Yuuuuge, Techpriest Large McSlab, Scowls-While-Reloading, and their squad of tiny, sassy, soldiers
>>
>>53033035

Isn't tzeentch psyker focused? This doesn't feel right. It doesn't feel close to the fluff.
>>
>>53040421
Do the Deathwatch books seem like things an actual Deathwatch party might get up to? Are there any books that might fit a Black Crusade game?
>>
>>53040773

The fluff changed a few months back. Tzaangors are expendable melee troops to protect the sorcerors.
>>
>>53019170
Biomancy actually isn't as useful as it was, anon, unless you are going CC.
Telepathy, Divination, Telekinesis off a lot of options in both support and offense, and Santic, while very good, also carries a lot of buff powers that require half actions to maintain, which really cut into your shit.
>>
>>53024699
You don't.
>>53023410
Your GM, basically. Tests would be stiffer, the caveat of needing 2 hands to hold is a definite mark against the idea, and honestly, the low ammo would work against you, rather than for you.
>>53021342
The worst time I had with the rpgs was running it for a group years back. I was new, but I knew 40k. A lot of mistakes were made, on both parts, and in hindsight, I should have cracked down on the chucklefuck players harder.
But they wouldn't have been down for grim adventures in 40k, they wanted space wackiness.
>>
>>53024833
Tau are smooth talkers, make no mistake.
They have an entire subrace dedicated to negotiations, after all.
If you need an example, look at how conquistadors made friends: They brought advanced weapons, tools, HIGH PROOF ALCOHOL (I can't stress how effective this was on any place that didn't already have dedicated spirit production), religion for those who were seeking something different (China had many Christian converts simply because the version they were pitched was simply Be a Decent Person and Eternal Life through Faith, and did not have the many, many gribblies that Confucianism had, or the horror of existentialism inherent to Buddhism).
The Greater Good, on paper, actually does sound like a decent deal, especially if the people are either already tribalized or savvy enough to think they can try to get a good position of their own.
However, I think that having the pc party do the work of, alone, what is usually the goal of a small army of Administratum, Ecclesiarchy and Terra officials seems... odd?
I mean, the Tau aren't stupid, and what do they have to offer these feral worlders that the Tau can't, in greater numbers, and actually show to them?
What is keeping the Tau from finding out that there are interlopers in what is techinically not Imperium space and sending a few HK cadres to scrub the pc party out? 2 devilfish with a load of FWs would be more than enough to turn them into paste.
>>
>>53032744
As soon as they earn it with deed or steal some heretical documents.
>>
>>53034740
He is a saint, one of the highest, iirc.
>>53036620
>So I was aware that only war had convoluted rules
Compared to some other crunchy games, percentile is fairly easy to pick up.
Roll 1d100, goal is to roll under a target number based on attribute/+skill, bonuses and maluses.
Chargen isn't hard unless you are trying to create a custom regiment, as opposed to using one from the book (you should).
What exactly are you having issues with?
>>
>>53032744
Forbidden Lore (Heresy) is super easy. You just point at someone, call them a Heretic and chances are you're 100% right most of the time because somewhere there is an interpretation of the Creed that they are breaking the laws of. Really, I don't see why everyone doesn't automatically have it. ;)
>>
>>53042217
>they wanted space wackiness.

I hate how Emperor's TTS has encouraged this, by virtue of being one of the first online interactions players have at this point.
Same way the abridged series ruined the DBz community.
>>
>>53034274

But that doesn't feel like tzeentch at all. Nucanon was a mistake.
>>
>>53043369
Well, beastmen are always beastmen.
Also, tzaangors were present in FB too.
>>
Hey anons, I'm playing a Missionary and my party found a CSM corpse, my Forbidden Knowledge lets me know about it, but no one else really knows, as well as our armsmen we brought along. How do I freak out without telling them/the ignorant about CSM?
>>
>>53042492
I think by the laws from the Arbites book you can kill everyone legaly if they look at you the wrong way.
"Insulting the Holy Ordos of the God Emperor: Field Interrogation, Field Execution"
>>
>>53019056
>>53019310
I concur with anon, at least one heavy flamer weapon, heavy autoguns to cut through massed infantry, and some sort of anti armor weapon like rocket launchers or a grenade launcher or something
>>
>>53043082
Anon, this was YEARS ago, back when DH1e first came out.
>>53043369
>bitches about nucanon
>probably didn't even know tzaangors even existed longer than some factions in the game
>>
>>53043510
Why not just tell them there are traitorous servants about, and be on guard?
If you are concerned about morale, tell the rank and file enough to be prepared, and tell your fellows the truth.
>>
>>53043510
"This was a rebel space marine. As with all traitors, he has died ignobly."
>>
>>53044197
>tzaangors even existed longer than some factions in the game

They existed as weak slaves and simple thralls with some psychic potential, you know, the way mortal followers of Tzeentch have ALWAYS been portrayed. This recton blows that up for MUH MELEE XD, totally stepping on the toes of Bloodgors.
>>
>>53044308
Go read FB fluff on Tzeentch mortals, then return.
>>
>>53044308
Maybe if-
>>53044336
What this guy said. Tzaangors were always the expressed combatant types, summoned as thralls and warrior servants by sorcerers.
>>
Is anyone here going to make a Long War campaign that start in 2 weeks? It will give time to read the rulebooks?
>>
>>53044654
2 weeks is more than enough to read all the mechanical bits of Black Crusade and XCOM.
>>
>>53044654
What's Long War?
>>
>>53042478
It's not the rolling. It's the million modifiers, rules for everything and absolutely horrendous layout of the rulebook. It takes so long to find the info I need that it slows down our game. I was just hoping someone had an alphabetized trait and talent sheet, general rule rundown, and consolidated combat rule list.

I made my own but it's 30 pages long and still takes forever to sort through.
>>
>>53044825
>30 pages
Ok, what the hell are you even doing?
>>
>>53044825
>the million modifiers
Anon, the vast majority of modifiers outside combat are GM's best judgment. Decide what you think the modifier is, and roll with it.
>rules for everything
Far less than some games you can find, anon, and since the game is modeled on many real life sensibilities, it's not so hard to hodge the situation. The only time I've had to hunt up rules was stuff that rarely happens, like suffocation/drowning/vacuum and the like.
I think you are trying too hard to get all of the rules together at once. You don't need to know what half the traits are, because unless you have one of each example from the book, you will not have more than a handful of examples on a battlefield at a time, and certainly not within the course of a single session.
Talents are very much the same way; I freely admit to ignoring most talents when it comes to npcs unless it's something vital to how they interact.
The combat rules almost all boil down to:
X = +10
X = +0
X = -10
And yes, your players should be running their own modifiers to you, with you making the final check over, versus counting their mods for them.
On that note, you should NOT be reminding players of their shit. It is vital, for your own headache, that the players have a basic grip on their own pcs and how rolls work. Yes, it will take a few weeks, but it seems like you did not look over the book enough to get the basics in your head before starting the game, and that fault lay on you.
You don't need 30 pages of notes, because you will not use 15 pages of those outside outlier moments.
>>
>>53044771
Either:

A: the best mod for Xcom

B: the fight between the original Fallen Legions and the Imperium
>>
>>53045219
>C: Both
>>
File: Double The Heresy.jpg (143KB, 700x662px) Image search: [Google]
Double The Heresy.jpg
143KB, 700x662px
>>53019025
So any interesting stories about raising armies in BC and leading them into GLORY!?
>>
>>53040421

Where did this come from? Google search gives me nothing.
>>
>>53045762
Here.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/coming-soon/august/blood-and-lies-cd.html

Apparently it's a tie in story for an Inquisitor Covenant series. You know, one of the Inquisitors from the Inquisitor giant miniature game ages back, who is somehow still having stuff written about him?
>>
>>53043616
I think those are the guidelines distributed by the highest ranked arbitrator in the Calixis. The dude who dreams about the oppressed masses being crushed by a cathedral of the Emperor and rages at how they won't just STAY STILL and keep rocking the foundations like selfish little shits.

I mean you can probably get away with whatever shit you want anyway as Inquisition agents, but if there's an Arbitrator in charge who loves sticking to the written word of the law (all of them), then you may get shit for not following procedure.
>>
>>53046292
Also realize those rules do not apply to any member of the Adepta or nobility, ie people who matter.
The people it applies to literally have no right to a trial.
>>
>>53046400
I dunno. It's always fun when an arbitrator forgets/remembers (delete as applicable) how the law is meant to apply to those in power and goes through with it anyway.
>>
So the other day an anon came on here and posted some really cool space maps he made along with the Dropbox link for some of the images he used

If that anon is still around could you give a tutorial on how you did it? My Gimp-fu is weak
>>
Are there non-Homebrew rules for playing an Eldar in Rogue Trader, my GM seems to think there are but I can only find the Dark Eldar rules in the Soul Reaver and he can't remember which book had the rules for standard Eldar.
>>
>>53047610
Dark eldar only.
>>
>>53047672
I thought it'd be weird for an Eldar from a craftworld to join a human Rogue Trader.
>>
File: annoyed.png (308KB, 500x502px) Image search: [Google]
annoyed.png
308KB, 500x502px
>>53044308

>Arguments and shitflinging in the thread over canon and fluff

Let me guess, shas made a new homebrew thing?
>>
>>53047803
He only made 40krpg stats for Tzaangors, so yeah p. much
>>
>>53048031

Like clockwork, then.
>>
>>53019025

That is a tough cookie

One time in BC I rode my half-machine-half-mutant dragon monster through the stained glass windows of a Cathedral in the middle of a mass, kidnapped the Cardinal and accidentally caused Mass Possession with an unlucky (or very lucky, depending on how you look at it) psychic dodge when everyone present opened fire.

Another time in Black Crusade when I dueled a gigantic mechanical dragon with just a chainaxe and somehow dodged every strike long enough to rend it apart... Same character, despite being just a Chem-hunter, would later slaughter survive an entire barrahe from a Thunderhawk and slaughter every Space Marine within with the same chainaxe.

In DH2e, my character committed glorious suicide into the enemy arch-heretek's face mid-ascension with two meltabombs. He was canonized for that later.

In Only War, more than a single act, my hilariously zealous Melta gunner survived five consecutive sessions with zero Fate points despite melting Chimeras and other vehicles with reckless abandon.

Back in Dark Heresy first edition, my very much shooting-inclined Cleric, when the party was attacked in his comfy mid-hive apartment by Hounds of Khorne, proceeded to hold his ground against them in melee and suplex them multiple times into various pieces of (by then, burning) furniture.

And the first time I played Deathwatch, I made an insufferable goody-two-shoes Ultramarine, then proceeded to kill a Hive Tyrant with a single Boltgun shot to its face.

Pleasant, pleasant memories
>>
>>53046247

Thanks, there can never be enough audio dramas. I love them. The hardback edition of the horusian wars book looks like top notch as well. It looks like something you can hang from your belt when doing an inquisitor cosplay and it would fit right in.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/coming-soon/july/hw-resurrection-ltd.html
>>
>>53048361
Any idea where I can get audiodramas from? There are none on mega
>>
>>53030671

Either the PC or the NPC probably got an unfair advantage. Should have used an opposed logic test.
>>
File: Screenshot 2017-05-02 00.19.49.png (38KB, 436x454px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-05-02 00.19.49.png
38KB, 436x454px
In one of the previous threads someone was talking about making John Wick in DH2E, and while this isn't exactly that my friends and I have come up with the hypothetical character of "GUN WIZARD".

The main drawback is having to buy all the way down to the bottom of the Biomancy table, buying up to Psy Rating 5, and praying that you get a good enough Ballistic Skill. So assuming you would need 2 Ballistic Skill advancements, and you're starting at Psy Rating 1 you'll need to spend 2800xp for the Psy Rating 5, 750xp for 2 BS advancements with 1 matching aptitude, 450xp for Mighty Shot with 1 matching aptitude, and 1300xp to buy all the way down to Warp Speed in the Biomancy table (not including any Toughness or Willpower advancements one might need to get down the table).

So essentially you'd need 5300xp to make a character like this, and that's with moderately good rolls for Characteristics.
>>
>>53049489
Also I didn't say it here, but I think they'd be best off being from a Frontier world to give them the Ballistic aptitude
>>
>>53049656
You did, though.
>>
>>53053020
oh, duh
>>
>>53053091
Happens to me all the time.
>>
File: Screenshot 2017-05-03 19.15.03.png (38KB, 410x667px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-05-03 19.15.03.png
38KB, 410x667px
You know how advanced archetypes were a thing in Black Crusade's expansion books? I was thinking of making some for DH2E and have them fluffed for my OC sector. Essentially they'd be almost entirely made up character archetypes, with only the most basic of character gen needing to be done. They'd be a bit better than regular starting characters, and count as having a few thousand spent xp already, just like the advanced archetypes in the BC Tomes.
>>
>>53053256
I'm not sure how you'd actually do that since selecting your archetype was the bulk of what goes on your character sheet whereas 2e has 3 levels of character creation.
>>
>>53053256
>>53053401
So ... Elite Advances? I don't see why you would try to straight-jacket a system that's managed to get out of that.
>>
>>53048559

Audiobookbay,

There are also some audiobooks-dramas in various mega links but i believe they are not up to date with the latest ones.
>>
>>53053256
I sort of agree with the other fags who aren't sure if it fits, but I'd be interested in what you come up with anyway. 40k/10 if you make some lore for all those classes though, they sound amazing.
>>
>>53053481
It would kind of be an elite advance, but one you only can take with character creation. I do realize it wrests away a lot of customization, but it sort of is the point, so that with this they'll have a character that is already made up, and fits in, lorewise. Some people find character creation a pain (indeed some of my players lament the death of the Ranks system from 1E), and this would really help quick start the game.

>>53053858
I do have the lore for them (if any particularly interest you just ask), it's a matter of putting talents, skills, aptitudes, gear, etc. to them.
>>
>>53042361
I... Shit. Well, thank you for bringing this up before the session.

The vague plan was to have the mission be an afterthought, the planetary governor blowing them off with a "oh, the missionaries in this feral region have gone quiet, can you check it out?". Maybe a crashed Tau ship bargaining for shelter and convincing the natives to salvage Imperial tech for a distress beacon, rather than a full Tau cruiser full of vehicles and troops spreading The Greater Good?

I know rather little of the lore, but leaps and bounds beyond all but one of my players, so it's all pretty casual.
>>
>>53055361
Maybe the feral world has resources that the Tau would want? Some sort of metal, or fuel resources that the natives and the rest of the Imperium was unaware of, and in the process of extracting it they've made contact with the locals and are trying to induct them, so as to find more of the mineral or whatever as the savages seem to know how to find it very well.
>>
>>53055724
It could also just be farmland and such. Remember that Tau FTL is slow as balls in comparison to every other faction's FTL.
>>
>>53019025
My favorite moment is in Only War. One of my players, a ratling sniper, shot down a ork dakkajet with a single shot from his rifle from the back of a valkyrie spiraling out of control towards the ground. He then jumped out the back and made a perfect landing with his grav chute
>>
Where is the Chaos Boon table in Only War? I know it's in there somewhere but I can't find it.
>>
>>53058072
Enemies of the Imperium.
>>
>>53054204
>Rick&MortyGiantHead.jpg
Show me what you got!
>>
>>53019025
My players' squad has just made it to an escape pods after the ship they were on was attacked and destroyed. They are locked on a nearby world's homing beacon and are being autopiloted in. I was hoping to express that this is going to take around a month in game time but don't want to just skip it. Was hoping for some ideas on things to have them do on the pod while they wait to reach Terra firma.

The pod is made for 20 people, however there are only 7 people on board. It has a months worth of rations as well as weapons and emergency gear on board.

I want it to stimulate some RP and cohesion with our new group but I don't think they'll take the initiative if I don't tell them to get to know each other's characters.
>>
>>53063348
>Bannurian Man-at-Arms
The Bannur system is a place where technology is distrusted, as during the Horus Heresy Dark Mechanicum forces attacked their worlds and ravaged their worlds. This has led to them being very wary of tech, and most of what they do have is incredibly ancient and venerated as it was not tainted by those invaders so long ago. The main thing keeping the Bannurians from regressing into a feral state is this reverence of this old technology, and their strong connection to the Imperium, and belief in the Imperial Creed. The Adeptus Mechanicus also has great interest in their inherited technology, and have great patience in making negotiations to have access to analyze their ancient voidships and manufactorums. In terms of appearance they are very much so space Gaul, but replace the boar imagery the Gaul loved with aquilas and eagles, as they are well and truly in the Imperial fold. You, as a Man-at-Arms, were the bodyguard of a Bannurian noble, and your prowess and ability to channel your savage rage into killing power caught the eye of the Inquisitor.
>>
>>53063831

>Voidborne of the Barrens
The Barrens is a dead world, nothing grows on it's surface, and the apocalyptic event that killed the world left it's core torn right through, like a manstopper round through a convict's head. The inhabitants of this world eke out their existence by trading with the void-corsairs and other less than legal means, but, so far away from the Imperium's light, who could possibly prosecute them? Many of the inhabitants are classified as abhumans or worse, mutants, their enlarged eyes, gangly limbs and lengthy fingers giving them an extremely offputting appearance. Though being void-born people usually have a one or two of these qualities it is also likely that the radiation emanating from the planet’s still glowing core is at least partially to blame for these strange deviations from the usual breeds of humanity. Ultimately the people of this world are voidborne to a man, and experts of close combat, voidsmanship, the underworld of Imperial society, and acrobatics in low gravity situations.

More later, got stuff to do.
>>
>>53019056
Boat? Chimera. Get on that multilaser!
If you do go boat though, include a multilaser in addition to whatever light autocannons/heavy stubber. Can recharge power cells from the boat engine, keeping weight down. >>53024873
>>
File: 1493047216668.jpg (568KB, 1200x1689px) Image search: [Google]
1493047216668.jpg
568KB, 1200x1689px
Other than Fear and Loathing, are there any other supplements for running an all Ork game?
I want to run a game of Only Waaagh! for my players.
>>
>>53053256
I see at least two religious ones, tell me more
>>
How often should players be able to make acquisition checks in Rogue Trader? I'm doing a RT campaign pretty soon and I need a concrete reason why a certain member of the party can't just keep rolling over and over until he succeeds.
>>
>>53066525

Into the Storm and Navis Primer for freeboota and weirdboy
>>
>>53066791
a) Try the "unwanted attention" rules. Every time they roll, there's a chance of something going wrong and the chance increases with each roll.
b) Limit them to discrete timeline events rather than per session: E.g. Arriving at a port, and when returning after traveling elsewhere to complete a story/endeavour section.
>>
>>53066791
If their network of mooks and contacts can't locate the item in that location then they will just have to check later, like you can't expect amazon to immediately restock something
>>
>>53034577
Got a working link to the discord mentioned in that thread? Interested in playtesting, down for either getting Orky or purging the unclean
>>
>>53066525
Has anyone tried running an all Ork game before and does anyone have tips?
>>
I've got a decent amount of rp game experience, ~4 years, and I want to start a 40k game with my group. obviously I'm doing research to learn more about each system and such, but I'd love to get general opinions on which one's you guys prefer
>>
>>53070937

Just one ork is tough and hard to kill because of unnatural toughness, and they get the best weapon upgrade track in the game. You have four unstoppable walls,who are laughing and blasting each other while exploding and catching fire. The battlefield is picked clean of loot. Shit that don't make sense for a human does for an ork.
>>
Some of the guys in my group want to try out a 40K rpg. Which game would you guys recommend we start with?
>>
>>53071034
>Start with
Only War
>>
>>53071069
I say start with because the members of my group have varying levels of understanding of the lore and such (basically no understanding). So when I say start I mean which game would be most friendly to people who don't know the lore already. In any case thanks for the recommendation.
>>
>>53071090
I have the same problem. Only myself and one other player know anything about 40k, plus my group has never run a military game before.
I think it'd be pretty jarring to go from generic d&d to getting executed by a commissar.
>>
>>53071126
Execution would only happen in cases of blatant disregard for a superior officer, acting lol randumb, or other such behavior unbecoming of someone in the imperial guard.
>>
>>53071034
Only War is a great introduction, and leads into Dark Heresy 2e nicely.

Read some Vietnam memoirs, Forsyth's Dogs of War, and Stephen Ambrose. Read Forsyth's Day of the Jackal when preparing for DH.

That should cover the basic research angle.
For in-universe research, Abnett's First and Only series is the go-to, but there's plenty of other good ones.
>>
>>53071090
>>53071126

I had the same problem, but running a game of Only War really was easy given how they had all little understanding. Just sent them a few articles on everything and told them to scream about the emperor. Everyone has an absolute blast.
>>
>>53019025

Hey I'm thinking about running a game of Rogue Trader. How do you guys handle combat? My group is typically DnD and we all prefer a battlemap but it seems like it'd be a pain with the size/variety of enemies. I'm thinking just a large map of whenever they're fighting and we'll handle things narrative.

Any pro tips?
>>
>>53072225
I do a battlegrid with different colored markers for different features, dotted lines for raised structures, etc. Our markers are usually bottle caps, which allows a lot of enemy variety and I can track it all pretty well.

It is all sort of close, though. given the size of the grid. Weapon and power ranges are rarely an issue, which I'm not wild about, especially since one of my players has been slaughtering everything with a meltagun.
>>
>>53072225
I've run things narratively no trouble, but any important set piece battles it really helps to have at least a room layout printed in front of you. Cover is much more important in this game than D&D.
>>
>>53072225
It does fine with a battlemap as long as the ranges are about 50m by 50m. At ranges farther than that, you'd need things to be zoomed out or narrative with some visual assistance.
>>
Have you ever had your players paint models to represent your characters? How did it go? I'm thinking about doing something like that but I also know that my players are lazy.
>>
i'm pretty stoked for the possibilities the 40k setting moving forward can provide us.
>>
>>53074254
Sounds like it'll be a lot of work to homebrew content to keep our game alive.
>>
>>53044075
>>53065707
alright, the boat so far has
1 hard point for its primary weapon
either a twin linked multilaser or hellhound flamer
2 hard points for the side gunners, heavy bolters as standard, or hotshot volley guns stolen from the scions gun depot
and 1 heavy weapon hard point, none as standard, but can take on either a mortar or missile launcher

that is a whole lot of dakka, but its supposed to repel a whole ork ambush single handedly, unleashing as much fire power in a single volley as possible

if i am being true to the real life PBR, not every weapon can be brought to bear at the same target, since the side guns and heavy weapons cant fire directly in front of the boat and the main guns cant fire straight back the back
>>
>>53071126
Good, they're in the perfect frame of mind to be thrown from the relatively sheltered safety of the hive city into the imperiums meat grinder.

As an intro, tell them all the optimistic lies of the imperiums propaganda machine. Then watch as your naive rookies slowly realize their leadership is insane, the war is unwinnable, their enemies terrifying beyond imagination and the battle is not for any arbitrary objective but simply for survival and to retain a semblance of sanity.
>>
>>53074254
>>53074329

But nucanon is wrooooooooooooooong
>>
If I/my pals wanted to play a group of full-on pirates, would it make more sense to have someone playing the Rogue Trader role, just as a 'corsair' type of guy, or to not have anyone in the Rogue Trader role at all?
>>
>>53077198
Nobody wants to Pirate Captain?
>>
>>53077342
well no it's a question of mechanically do we have the pirate captain role filled by someone using the Rogue Trader advances or the Voidmaster advances
>>
>>53076867
>nucanon
For a second I thought I was on /swg/.
>>
Is there a way to use Biomancy on others? Besides the healing powers.
>>
>>53074254

>wanting neo end times and the death of grimdark for Disney primarch avenger bullshit

kys
>>
>>53070937
Remember that even though orks are comedy relief for the audience, they're serious fucking business for in-game characters.
The humans they fight should be screaming, fleeing, begging for their lives before a crude mockery of the human form who cannot be persuaded. They're the barbarian hordes that torched Rome. They're the Vikings who pillaged the English.
Every race believes again and again that because orks are stupid, they can be directed or controlled. But orks are a wild card, even more than Chaos. You'll never be able to pin them down for long.
Remember that they are capable of learning and innovating, and being damn sneaky when they get the mind to. Just look at Snikrot.
>>
I feel like the range of weapons are really short, the average guard can only throw a grenade 9m and shoot out to 200m. I'm thinking of buffing all the ranges by 2-3x.
>>
>>53077405
Unless you want your captain to be very quiet, distant and professional, I'd pick Rogue Trader every time. The leadership stuff he can provide fits in very well with a gung-ho, into the breach style pirate captain.
Remember that the captain isn't necessarily the one steering the ship. Usually it'll be the helmsman, which is a much better Voidmaster position.
>>
>>53024699
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7sh50xvidsu7ao4/Abhuman%20Character%20Guide%20%2807-15-15%29.pdf?dl=0

Rules here
should be easy to turn it into a dark heresy bitch

Suck my dick later
>>
>>53080605
alright, how broken are these?
>>
>>53080847
No idea. I mean, in my experience of playing abuhmans I have played

the squat from that book for one session with no fucking combat in rogue trader, because the gm couldn't handle his job and the game died as soon as we set sail.

And an ogryn version of my go to guard character in only war (so not the one in that book) , who outsniped two snipers with his ripper gun, since the same dm as above didn't realize at the time when range penalties applied and soon realized he had put them literally at the edge of my range, and I emperor's furied both times and blew their heads off with an oversized outshotgun despite my shitty Ballistic skill. that was fun.

So I can't say. I'd say just show it to your gm, and see what he thinks/ work it out with him.
>>
>>53080367
An ork shoot another ork or chops their arm off over a card game, it's all fun and they guffaw over it.

Meanwhile humans etc. see a giant hulking green monster guffawing and yelling louder than anything they've ever heard as it rips their arm off and beats them to death with it.
>>
>>53081038
If memory serves, there's an audiolog in the Space Marine game from an ordinary factory worker telling his son or daughter that their mother is dead. He says that she tried to attack one and they just grabbed her and tore her apart and laughed the whole time.
The guy's heartbreaking delivery completely changed the way I see Orks.
>>
>>53024699
For Rogue Trader, using the tainted background and choosing the aberration mutation is probably the closest to what the rules allow without homebrew.

On another note, if a character would take forearm weapon mounts on each arm and take a pistol in each hand, what would happen? Could they fire all 4 of them at once with the right talents?
>>
>>53077405
Go with Rogue Trader as Pirate Captain, it's the best choice. Unless nobody wants the responsibility, then just NPC him/her.
>>
>>53080847

It's lodge blackman, so weaker to on par with a hefty helping of fanon.
>>
>>53078604
In Black Crusade, it has a part in the first bits of the psychic powers chapter on runes you can draw on a person or room that affect that person/things in that area instead.
>>
>>53036620
Found something and worked something up, hope its useful. Geared toward new players. https://mega.nz/#F!ZeYAyDoQ
>>
>>53084199

Fucked it up.
https://mega.nz/#F!ZeYAyDoQ!7zp1w9kWN7DIN7OMrOjklg
>>
>>53084225
Thanks my man
>>
>>53047721
You'd think a corsair would work fine though.
>>
>>53066661
The Esoterran Hierophant is a preacher from Esoterra, a shrine world far off from Terra, consecrated thrice fold and sanctioned as a pilgrimage location for those pilgrims from worlds in the Ultima Segmentum for whom a pilgrimage to the throne world of Holy Terra is a far off dream. The Adeptus Terra and Administratum recognize the soil of the Shrine of The Wayward Son as a wing of the Imperial Palace upon Terra, as within it, kept sustained by a stasis field is a sable armoured super-human warrior, one of the Emperor's own cohort, a Custodian. Lost to the vagaries of time is the story of how he became placed there, but about him is an ornate shrine, one made by an architect from Holy Terra cut from the very same quarries as those used upon the throne world. To be an Ecclesiarch from this world is to wield the authority of the Adeptus Terra itself, in some small fashion, and priests from this world command respect in all but the most corrupt and heinous of individuals. And Inquisitor would do well with the guidance, help, and respect brought by the sable cloaked Hierophants of this Esoterra.

Disciples of St. Frederik believe that the most holy of acts one can enact, and are often regarded as an order of powerful warrior priests. Not simply berserking, raving warrior priests Disciples of St. Frederik are far more calculating in the conquests, following the example of St. Frederik's initial conquest of the Untellatian sector, wielding an iron fist in a velvet glove, casting down those he believed would never submit to Imperial rule, and bringing into the fold those who he deemed would make willing and capable Imperial worlds. To be a Frederikian disciple is to be a tactician, diplomat, and a purgator in His name, an individual any Inquisitor would find great use in.
>>
What modifications might one need to make for a game as Imperial Navy officers? Are the ship combat rules in RT good enough for continuous use? What classes would there be?
>>
>>53088748
All that you need do is refluff Rogue Trader classes, and Profit Factor as some sort of political sway the Captain has.

Rogue Trader > Ship Master
Astropath > Astropath
Arch-Militant > Master-at-Arms
Explorator > Master Enginseer
Navigator > Navigator
Seneschal > Quartermaster
Voidmaster > Wing Commander

Barely anything else needs to be done, besides minor fluffing here and there.
>>
>>53088748
The ship combat rules are workable, but flawed with how they treat ship armour and massed macrobattery fire. I recommend looking up and talking to your group about implementing a variant of the mathhammer house rules.

With the rules as written, ship armour and lances are basically useless and ships get alpha striked by massed macrobattery far too easily. Reducing the ships armour, but applying to it to each individual macrobattery hit mostly solves the issue.
>>
Out of all the books in the 40kRPG system, which is the best to start with for a group of complete novices (DM included) to this system?
>>
>>53092869
Only War?
>>
>>53092902
I wasn't sure between OW and DH 2nd, given the fact that the entire system (Mechanically) is built on DH. My tabletop group has been playing Pathfinder (I know, I know PF suck) for close to if not over a year and I want to try something new so that the powergaming munchkin would be forced out of his comfort zone.
>>
>>53092949
Well, you kinda can powergame in DH2 since you can technically buy every talent/skill... also in Only War, but you are kind restricted.

Only War would be a good choice after PF, because they can play with planning, combat and strategy/tactics.
>>
>>53092975
Starting from OW, would it be better to use one of the preset Regiments to start or work with the group to build one from the ground up? (Most of the group are Murderhobos sooo...)
>>
>>53093052
Preset with no support specialists.
>>
>>53093052
>>53093095
And if they like the "go kill", "go secure" type of missions instead of more intrigue etc., you can advance to Deathwatch.
>>
>>53093114
I'm not sure if a bunch of muderhobos could handle roleplaying Space Marines. Maybe Flesh Tearers
>>
>>53093114
I want to give me (DM) and the group a semi-firm grasp on the system before we go Space Marines.
>>
>>53093135
I mean after couple of sessions or a campaign in OW.

>>53093137
Then just like I said, go with OW. If after couple of sessions they want something with more... freedom? Then Rogue Trader. Kill potential and epic battles? Deathwatch. Maybe play the bad guys? Black Crusade. Intrigue and Investigations? Dark Heresy.
>>
File: space cat.jpg (73KB, 464x498px) Image search: [Google]
space cat.jpg
73KB, 464x498px
Thank you guys. Here's a picture of a Space Marine Cat in thanks
>>
File: Thomasthedaemonengine.png (1MB, 1019x720px) Image search: [Google]
Thomasthedaemonengine.png
1MB, 1019x720px
>>53093201
Will gift you this also.
>>
>>53074627
it should also play rock music as you gun down orks
>>
>>53040421
Looks like an attempt to cash-in on Rogue One
>>
File: Valhallan_Trooper.jpg (79KB, 673x955px) Image search: [Google]
Valhallan_Trooper.jpg
79KB, 673x955px
What all should I pickup building a Valhallan Ice Trooper in 2e?

Hive World
Imp Guard
Warrior

Get high Toughness and Ballistic skill
Up Dodge

Resistance: Cold
Hardy
Hatred:Xenos(Orcs)
Jaded
True Grit

Ty
>>
>>53095185
Hammer of the Emperor already has Valhallan Ice Troopers, take inspiration from that.
>>
Why would anyone EVER hold a knife that big in a reverse handle grip? It's like the author has never used a knife before in his life.
>>
>>53074329
>lot of work to homebrew content to keep our game alive.

I don't even try anymore. Too many fights, and I'm not autistic enough to make it good.
>>
File: 1482369589555.png (352KB, 493x586px) Image search: [Google]
1482369589555.png
352KB, 493x586px
>>53100817
Just keep it to yourself, at least that's what I do.
>>
File: He man says hey.gif (491KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
He man says hey.gif
491KB, 500x375px
>>53100932

JUST KEEP IT INSIDE
LEARN HOW TO HIIIIIIDE YOUR FEELINGS
>>
>>53099851
He's carrying it with it partially at the ready. HOlding it reverse like that means if he trips or gets snagged on the underbrush he won't accidentally trip and cut himself with it, and he can still have it ready for any sudden threats that rear up or use it to clear away growth.
>>
File: lelith hersperax sweater.jpg (106KB, 282x370px) Image search: [Google]
lelith hersperax sweater.jpg
106KB, 282x370px
So I'm planning to use Dark Eldar in a mission against my Deathwatch Kill-Team in the near future. I know damn well to make them a threat I need to use horde rules for everything but Incubi basically, but anyone have a decent set of suggestions to beef up the Archon from DH 2e? I can backwards port everything just fine, but these guys aren't really as great a Master as I could hope. They aren't really that powerful for something that should at least be able to pump out the hurt if not take any. I figure after a mission full of DE hit and fade bullshit the players would appreciate a good fight to the death at the end with the elf, but if something is too easy it becomes a non-risky letdown.

I know this is balanced for DH2e but I mean, the Incubi seem pretty good for elites to throw up in a group against the team
>>
File: Fuck.jpg (52KB, 564x423px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck.jpg
52KB, 564x423px
So /40krpg/ I have a bit of a conundrum. Almost all my players last session were possessed when a psyker suffered perrils and rolled a result for mass possession. A lot of them have taken a ton of CP and here is where I struggle. Should I execute the entire party? The ones possessed? Or only the mutants?
>>
>>53101447
None. Let them deal with it. Let them try to conceal it. Why ruin a potential plot hook?
>>
One of my players wants to play a Fenrisian Explorator. That makes sense, right?
>>
>>53102626

No reason why a person from Fenris couldn't become part of the Admech.
>>
>>53103446
The main issue is access to the people, since the Wolves keep them deliberately tribal. Though the Iron Wolves probably have chapter serfs who are inducted into the AdMech, and one of those could probably get some kind of blessing to go elsewhere with good (adventure) reason. After all, the system itself has more settled worlds and the chapter maintains a fleet which is mostly crewed by serfs and you need tech-priests to keep any big machinery working.
>>
Good starting missions for dh2e? That one from core is known to most of my players and I need to mash some inspiration up
>>
>>53103446
It doesnt. The tribals are well tribals and the folk think of SW as gods and thunderhawks as the steel birds whom serve to SW.
>>
File: Untitled.png (25KB, 357x235px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
25KB, 357x235px
This game took an odd turn.
>>
>>53104764
What
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>53104853
Its an only war game, we were told to storm a trench and most of the players died, the storm trooper was the first to flee back to our trench and ran right into a player re rolling as Yeb, the most strangely terrifying commissar ever.
>>
>>53105203
I had my PCs meet the noble Nebula Tullus a few minutes ago. Weird coincidence.
>>
Trying to start my first game ever but I've run into a problem.

Where the hell can I get a pdf of the Dark Heresy 1E books? I've googled high and low and found nothing but dead stores, empty links, and malware. I really don't want to have to wait for a physical copy to be shipped.
>>
>>53106435
Did you try the OP?

>physical copy to be shipped
Do you have hundreds or thousands of bux to spend?
>>
>>53106478
Thanks. Was hoping to find a legal version somewhere, but fuck it.
>>
>>53101197
karacnos when?
>>
>>53019025
i'm sure it get asked a lot, but does anyone around have a web quality version of Faith and Coin? It can't be the only book missing
>>
Me and a friend played Only War yesterday. First time for him, with me DM'ing also for the first time. Was pretty fun, at one point he managed to sneak up to point-blank range up to some Orks and absolutely shredded them with his shotgun.

But we're only using the Eleventh Hour booklet and I have some questions. Do Degrees of Success do anything when calculating damage?
>>
>>53108346
You can substitute one of the numbers on the damage dice from an attack with the number of degrees of success if you want. Page 250.
>>
>>53104708
Anyone?
>>
If a GM gives some chaos/blood related items

I.e a gun can deals corruption damage ( you gain corruption equal to damage taken)

is it the most sensible thing to send it to inquistor
>>
>>53108643
yes, and if you can't send it to him you should destroy it, and then submit for a purity test
>>
>>53104708
What's the party?
>>
>>53108643
Gun that deals raw corruption without it needing to trigger first and overcome user through WP check then it's a meme, OP weapon and I shouldnt recommend it. And yes, it should be sent upwards.
>>
File: Sister_Brofist.png (111KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Sister_Brofist.png
111KB, 700x700px
>>53108408
That's super useful.
>>
In 2e, the null rod 2d10 meters. When and how often is this number rolled?
>>
>>53109043
I roll when you whip it out and then after each time you smack someone with it. If they abuse it, roll every time you feel like fucking with them.
>>
>>53108664
>>53108655
well I am currently in a mission so should I complete the mission first and then send it up or just destroying it on the stop
>>
>>53109517
Destroy it. Your GM is trolling you.
>>
>>53099851
Reverse grip is good for stabbing and hooking, and laying the weapon against the forearm provides a solid defense against larger weapons
>>
>>53108919
Now figure out if you proc RF on 10 dos.
>>
>>53108643
>you gain corruption equal to damage taken
Break it, burn it, burn it again, bury it, then burn the continent.
>>
>>53104764
>pet turtle
>he helps bolster morale because he's such a happy guy
Aww!
>>
>>53109731
No, RF specifically says it triggers on a dice roll of 10. The real question is if you get enough DoS, can you deal more than 10 damage on a single dice.
>>
>>53102625
Because depending on how far they are mutated, they may be functionally unable to do their job, and no, a game isn't fun when you are simply playing until the point where your shit inevitably implodes.
For this situation, I'd talk to each player individually, and offer them the opportunity to replace their pc. This isn't a "plot hook" for the GM, these are the pcs the players must deal with.
>>
>>53101399
Most enemies in DH2e outside of troops and grunts are fucking shit.
You need to rebuild them almost from the ground up. There is an archon in one of the BC modules that is good inspiration.
>>
>>53101399
Only War has a bunch of DE stuff.
>>
>>53109709
>Hiya! Matt Easton here...
>>
>>53109899
Since the system is percentile, I'm not sure you can get above %100.

>>53109731
Your replacing the result on a damage die (RAW) so I'd say yes?
>>
>>53109899
You cant.
>>
>>53019056
VIEETNAAAAM.

No but really I have a similar situation but it kinda derailed when the party is mostly xenos.

Also Add Napalm, Remove the grenades, .50 cal on the front. 2 7.62 machine guns on the back. With Smoke launcher on the mid point.
>>
By chance anyone able to help me Stat a Mi-24 Hind with the standered gun on the front and rocket pods.
>Before you go off on me my party is fighting a vehicle recovered from an abandoned museum that was uncovered by admechs.
>>
>>53110695
Do you know its not physically possible? By the time the humans having FTL they had far higher tech, the artifact is 39.000 years old, probably riddled with daemons
>>
>>53110845
Note the cases it a few systems away from Terra.

Also the thing was found Stasis Field
>>
>>53110845
i can't remember where, but there is a book where a dark angel finds USSR stuff on a space hulk and when he asks the chaplain what those things are, he replays that nobody remembers anymore
>>
>>53110883
It was an inquisitor with a similar moment as well, that noticed blocks that had the USSR marking on it. With the same replie.
>>
>>53107950
I do.

https://mega.nz/#!NNQjxTLb!IVEklUVbSSYUHNKKq3T_4_rl3jN82sfdlDhqW7c4jkQ

I also don't fucking understand why wouldn't anyone finally put it into the main mega.
>>
>>53110883
Please for the love of God Emperor give me the source
>>
>>53110160
>Since the system is percentile, I'm not sure you can get above %100.
have 51 in BS, get +60 modifiers, roll 1.
11 DoS
>>
>>53110958
probably i remember wrong
it's likely that >>53110911
is right
>>
>>53110958
I remember the novel. "Pariah"
>>
>>53110913
thank you, fine sir, i can't express enough gratitude
>>
>>53111037
I'll check it out, thanks. Is it from Eisenhorn?
>>
>>53111018
Yeah refer to post above me.
>>
I have an question. Is +30 to -30 modifiers maximal? How does that work?
>>
>>53111057
Actually it is. from
>>
>>53111070
No, in later lines +60 to -60 total is max.
>>
>>53111070
I believe no one source can provide more than 30 points of modifiers, and total modifiers cannot exceed 60.
>>
>>53111057
It is from Eisenhorn
>>
>>53111093
How about that sniper rifle modifier stacking then? +30
>>
File: inquisitor heldane.jpg (22KB, 351x303px) Image search: [Google]
inquisitor heldane.jpg
22KB, 351x303px
What would the roll be to get a horse face like Inquisitor Heldane from Gaunt's Ghosts?
>>
>>53111787
or maybe a raven head like this guy?
>>
>>53021342
Dm legitimately trying to murder my storm trooper because i was the only guy not getting steam rolled by the traitor guard we were fighting.

I was in a narrow alley between houses and he kept dropping grenades on me for like three rounds, but they all kept bouncing off myn armor/toughness.

Then i threw a grenade blind around a corner and almost killed three dudes because i know he's like that.

It was a fine game really. My worst 40k games are always when i get blue balled because the gm or players don't show up again. Like we had a great dark heresey game shaping up and the gm literally moved across the country two weeks later.
>>
File: vindicare 1.jpg (210KB, 713x708px) Image search: [Google]
vindicare 1.jpg
210KB, 713x708px
What is the best organization of professional killers, all works of fiction combined, and why it is the Officio Assassinorum ?
>>
>>53112197
>Hiring turbo autists killers who are only capable of killing
>>
>>53112197
>what is the Collegia Titanica?
>>
So i am dm and would like to start a new campaign with the kill team called by an inquisitor to start a human rebellion on a human/alien allied planet.

I want to open with a meeting on an alliance space station. The inquisitor hopes to flip the human leader, and get the xenos to turn traitor. He have very high hopes of this and expects the alliance to walk out and try to kill them at some point.

The main thing i want out of this is for the alliance to purge the atmosphere and be like zomg space marines don't give a a fuck.

So maybe i could talk them into no armor because diplomacy reasons. But i want them to end up planetside after disabling the space station.

The rites to put armor on takes forever though, right? Can i reasonably have a crate of their armor/supplies in the hangar they are trying to get to?
>>
File: wp_ss_20170429_0001.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20170429_0001.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
>>53112391
>the subject line finally doesnt work for subjects anymore, only options.

Tch.

Deathwatch recommendations!
>>
>>53110911
>>53110883
Are you guys talking about Pariah where the Alizebeth clone wanders into a shop, finds a rocket ship model, and asks what CCCP means?

And the shopkeeps like "No one remembers."
>>
>>53112297
What are you waiting from a professional killer to be capable of other than just... killing ? If I have to hire a assassin, I prefer that the only thing he knows how to do properly is to kill, because I can expect him to have trained this specifical skill and have raised it to a superhuman level. Yes, he can be a good cook or a pretty correct juggler, but who cares ?
>>
>>53110845
>fighting a mi-24 possessed by a logis daemon
>implying this wouldnt be awesome.
>>
>>53019025
So genestealers like to let one person of a group "escape" after infecting them, right? I was thinking about having my players encounter a derelict shuttle floating in the void, a lone survivor of a small scouting group sent to investigate a space hulk.

I'm gonna give a few minor hints that he's corrupted but nothing big. If they save him it'll come back to bite them later, probably. Or maybe just end up as a blurb after we finish a few campaigns.

I'm wondering, what do you guys think about PLAYERS being infected with the genestealers genome? Could that make for an interesting hook/turmoil/dilemma?

It's an Only War campaign, btw.
>>
File: Sector_Askellon.jpg (3MB, 3000x2120px) Image search: [Google]
Sector_Askellon.jpg
3MB, 3000x2120px
Anyone has this map in english and maybe updated? Also, any Askellon high res map updated?
>>
Is it just me, or is fluff discussion on /tg/ getting even worse? I mean, there's always been a level of "I don't like x bit(s), so I ignore it" followed by "Your opinion is wrong" shitflinging and of course, Carnac's string of autistic ad hominems has been ever-present.
But it seems to me lately there's been more and more straight up misinformation, bickering, lies, unbacked opinions (by an source old or new), and general shitflinging/unproductive unpleasantness across the board recently (Across the board, meaning the expression, not /tg/).

I think these thoughts a loud here because /40krpg/ has been an island of relative calm compared to the rest of /tg/. Polite sage for semi-off topic.
>>
>>53112876
>Is it just me, or is fluff discussion on /tg/ getting even worse?

Fallout from Gathering Storm and the incoming edition change and the shake ups going on there is one cause I'd grant it alongside the shitload of trolling going on because of it.

But more generally, I'd blame it on /tg/ only ever getting fluff from osmosis rather than reading the actual source material and getting outrageously autistic with there only being one true interpretation of 40k fluff that never contradicts itself that's based largely on headcanon and /tg/ fanon.

And I wouldn't really say that /40krpg/ is completely immune from this. We can get plenty autistic (particularly certain anons, none mentioned none forgotten) over "MUH ONE TRUE 40K" which is why homebrew is so rarely discussed, sadly.
>>
>>53113016
>/40krpg/ is completely immune from this
Unfortunately no where is. And from what I've seen, /tg/ is actually the safest place on the internet from ONE TRUE 40K circle jerking (Which, I guess, depending on the person, could be a good or bad thing).
>>
>>53112876

8th edition is changing so many things and hurting so many feelings that neckbeards and grogs, afraid and confused, are lashing out. What they see as an attack on their hobby is interpreted as an attack on them and they go wild.
>>
>>53113135
It's actually pretty funny to watch. One second Chaosfags are drinking Imperialfag tears and shitposting, the next, Cadia's apparently set to be reclaimed and it's the Imperialfags who are drinking tears.

It's like the shitposting equivalent of tug-o-war.
>>
>>53113016
About homebrew - anything for dark heresy 2?
>>
>>53113274
This is why /40krpg/ is stale as fuck. No one answers questions that require to think.
>>
>>53111787
>>53111810
Go check out the Tome of Corruption for the whfrp. It has a ludicrous amount of mutations, among them: Splitting in to identical versions of yourself while halving your LP but playing both, turning into a giant head, growing a dick on your knee and substituting your blood with melted metal or little birds. Or your skeleton becomes indepent of you and rips itself out of your body. Good luck trying to catch it while being a helpless blob of flesh.

You roll a fucking d1000 for mutation!
>>
>>53113274
>>53115319
I don't even know wtf he wanted to know.
>>
>>53115478
Probably he was too lazy to check the OP for dh2 homebrews or smth.
>>53115439
To be honest many of the mutations seem great and original, but most of them fuck you over - this is what you get for abandoning the God-Emperor or Sigmar, depends.
>>
Are shotcannons statted anywhere?
>>
>>53116266
Rogue Trader
>>
>>53115319

That's because homebrew comes in one of two styles.

1) A completely new weapon or subpattern of existing gear, which gets "Ah, that's cool, but it doesn't fit my game / my sector / my canon," if it gets any replies at all.

2) Something from the tabletop ported over, and the tabletop has gone crazy in power levels recently. These without fail get plenty of (you)s, mainly "REEEE HOW DARE YOU FORCE NUCANON ON MY TRUCANON KYS"

And you wonder why nobody bothers?
>>
>>53116922
You also forgot:

3) The rare piece of fluff that either gets roundly ignored or causes autistic screeching.
>>
>guy who always plays but never DMs finally decides he wants to DM
>game that spurred this? Black Crusade
Everybody has been wanting him to DM, we're glad he is, but we are a RP heavy group and don't like crunch so much. He says he hasn't wanted to DM due to a fear that the game would fall apart before it went anywhere. I'm worried nothing is gonna make a game fall apart faster than playing shut that definitely doesn't mesh well with the preferred playstyle. I talk to him, the conversation goes like so:
>try to convince him to run FFG SW instead, it's similar but the dice system really goes with the story driven the group likes and would be more engaged in
>he tells me what he's got planned, realize he's super super into the lore (and even though I'm not, I've got a passing understanding and it sounds intriguing- chaos gods come together for a rare collab to make chaos primaries and legions)
>we start to see if we can adapt the SW dice to 40k, attribute modifier makes your pool, the negative modifiers equate to difficulty dice, etc
>he wants to keep numbers, but wants to make them smaller- d20 instead of d%
>he also really likes advantage and disadvantage SW dice, and changing initiative so players go in a group all together and facilitates the advantages you pass between players
>combat resolutions are simpler, you hit or you dont, even out armor ratings across the whole body, don't worry about location damage except on crits
So far the shortcomings we've come up with are that things may sway in favor of players more, he's OK with that. Finding those target numbers to roll under may get weird, he's confident he can deal however. Any other stuff we're missing?
>>
>>53063668
Make them think something is on the pod with them.
>>
>>53080426
Seems fairly realistic actually. You don't often have much more than 200m clear LoS in most engagements, hell, they mostly occur within 150m or less. And the distance for grenades seems pretty accurate as well, given the scenarios you'd likely use grenades.

>I'm solely referring real life, not 40k events.
>>
>>53111148
+20 full action aim or +10 half action, +10 accurate, maybe +10 short range, +10 sight if you have it
>>
>>53080426
I believe you can take shots up to double range for some modest penalties.
>>
>>53118321
Double is merely -10 with triple to quadruple being -30.
>>
File: me.jpg (316KB, 675x1058px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
316KB, 675x1058px
>>53019025
>>53019025
>>53019025

I ended up getting murdered by my own companions. It was the first dark heresy campaign I had done and to be honest, the first tabletop rpg I had ever played as well. I tended to meta game too much and joke around back then since I didn't quite know how to roleplay and take the game seriously. I was playing a crazy psycker and killed a quest npc. The dm made me get captured and put on trial and during the trial i cast fear aura and managed to roll whatever it is psyckers roll to get crits (i forget). While all the npcs in the courthouse were tearing their own eyes out, one of my teammates who was fed up walked over to me and beheaded my character while i was handcuffed to the chair.
>>
Has anyone ever homebrewed "only war" into a WWII type setting and if so how did it go
and can I steal your work
>>
Hey guys. I'm running an Only War campaign through the summer. You want me to record audio and upload podcast/audiodrama style to Youtube (I have a small /tg/ related channel), or should I greentext it? Do you care at all?

Campaign takes place in 999.M41. PCs are Cadians freshly deployed to Armageddon during the 3rd war. Late campaign MIGHT involve them rushing home to meed the 13th Black Crusade, depending on how the game goes.
>>
Hey guys just been assembling my first ever 40k models (scouts) and I struggled a bit with a gap where the arm meets the torso.

I used blutack to fill the gap, and then used plenty of glue.

It's been about an hour now and it still isn't really set, will it set? Was this a bad move? I've done some googling and some people say blutack is fine, others say just use green stuff because blutack won't set.
>>
>>53118955
Green text is fine.
>>
>>53118955

Don't greentext if you're just going to spam full sentences. Just make a pastebin with a story in that case.
>>
Anyone got a deathwatch game going over Discord? I have a fresh Carcharadon assault marine and a Bloody Magpie Techie ready to go.
I'm #2438
>>
>>53119862
You need a name to go with your number, mate.
>>
File: 1340870696155.jpg (40KB, 500x404px) Image search: [Google]
1340870696155.jpg
40KB, 500x404px
>>53120248
All this time, I thought people just didn't want me.
Broly218 #2438
>>
>>53120348
How does it feel to be enlightened as such?
>>
>>53120370
A bit embarrassing. I thank you for the tip.
>>
>>53118981
I've never used blutack. I've only ever used green stuff. I know sometimes models just come out wrong, but I'm curious if you're certain those two parts go together. I know I've made similar mistakes for various reasons (cluttered table, wrong pieces in the box, etc). I don't know how experienced you are with miniatures or what it looks like current. So I can really recommend is going over the join with a fine tooth comb to make sure you don't have any weird flash in the way and that you're actually putting the right pieces together.

Now a question for y'all. I've never played Dark Heresy and the mega-folder has two editions. Do I need first edition at all or is it just there to help generate ideas for campaigns and such?
>>
>>53120842
First edition has a lot more material. Download it all and use 2nd, edit to taste IMO (for example, I like dual alternative secondary aptitudes for skills and some talents/characteristics, and I think Highborne and Feral/Penal characters should have different stat modifiers than of Influence).
>>
>>53112765
Genestealer infection (from how I understand it) would be unnoticeable until he fucks and has a child. The infection is said to make the man or woman infected seek a mate to fuck and then give birth to their abomination baby. I'm not sure how you could play it off from how I understand it.

I'm not the foremost expert on the infection though so take what I have said with a grain of salt.
>>
>>53121036
So use it for ideas and such. Alright. I did similar with Shadowrun 4e when I last ran a 5e game.

Going from advice I've seen the thread, I'm thinking of running Only War and then Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, or Black Crusade depending on what the players want.

>>53112765
>>53121419
It's not completely unnoticeable and can be easily detected with a test. Though I'm not sure if it's a blood test or what, just that you can do a test. As for physical symptoms, I admit I can't recall all of them, but the person is generally acting weird. Strangely happy I think was one part of it.

Also, IIRC, when an infected person fucks someone then the uninfected partner becomes infected. They also develop an adoration of their abomination. I believe you need two abominations to fuck to get a pure strain and call down the 'nids.

So if >>53112765 wanted to have a player get infected, make the lone survivor something they're likely to fuck. Not so sure if it would be a good idea for the players to get infected though. Being infected mindfucks people and if anyone ever finds out, it's an instant "rocks fall and you die" moment. But that might just be me. Because if you told me I had to kill my buddy or we get fucked by 'nids, I'd kill the fucker in a heartbeat.
>>
>>53121419
One of the PCs is a woman. I might have him make a pass at her. Or make it a woman and do the opposite. I feel like pushing the sex thing could get pretty magical realmy pretty quickly. None of my players know the lore at all so I think it'd be neat, like actual guardsmen would react.

I'm just not comfortable pushing sexual shit with my group at all so I'll probably pussy out.
>>
>>53121559
Just out of curiosity, would you be turned off by the fact that you got infected? My players might enjoy it but I'd hate to do something that ruins a player's fun. Especially if I didn't really have MUCH of a choice.

Maybe I'll give them a few warnings and saves if one (or a few) wants to bang.
>>
>>53121419
>>53121559
>>53121570
>>53121614
A genestealer's ovipositor is like a facehugger from Alien, it wipes the prey's mind of the attack and infects them.
Once infected, they're brainwashed to serve their patriarch (the infecting genestealer). They'll likely do everything they can to keep this a secret. A blood test would identify the Genestealer virus and the infected human's offspring would be Gen.1 hybrids and essentially monsters to any humans who notice them.

Further it's unlikey for a Stealer to leave one guy in a deserted place alive. They'd seek a single individual to infect somewhere like a hive city where a cult could grow, but in a remote location the stealer would just kill the poor fucker since their odds of mating are too low to justify the Stealer's transition into a patriarch.
>>
>>53121614
Depends on how it plays out. I'm not super attached to my characters. By which I mean, if the character dies then they die, I'll try to play them as "realistically" as possible until that point. So if you were able to make it interesting, like the party finding out only after we've had many adventures and I've spread the infection far and wide (mostly due to their dawning horror as they realize what happened), then I would be pretty satisfied getting *BLAMMED*. It's just that I would figure any time you deal with the possibility of genestealer infection, you'd test people to make sure they're clean. Such as when you pick up a "sole survivor" from a derelict hulk.

If you wanted to do it, assuming you have a player willing to fuck in game, have them fuck a prostitute or something. Specifically when they're on a planet for something unrelated. Such as chasing chaos cultists. They bang the prostitute, get infected, and then continue on with their lives.
>>
>>53121559
>Also, IIRC, when an infected person fucks someone then the uninfected partner becomes infected. They also develop an adoration of their abomination. I believe you need two abominations to fuck to get a pure strain and call down the 'nids.

The stealer virus can be spread by sharing bodily fluids, so a sexual partner would be infected.
When an infected human mates the offspring will be gen 1 hybrids.
when 2 gen 1 hybrids mate you get gen 2 hybrids. so on and so forth until you get to gen 4 hybrids who are nearly human.

Nids aren't attracted to any particular generation of hybrids, rather they are called by the psychic signal of the patriarch which grows stronger relative to the size of his cult.
Cults are less allies to the tyranids and more beacons to say "there's lots of food here, come get it" across vast distances of space.
>>
>>53121743
Additionally, purestrains (IIRC) are born either from a hiveship's spawning pools directly or from the mating of two gen 4 hybrids.
>>
>>53121743
>>53121771
Alright.

Not sure why I thought they were attracted to a particular generation. Maybe because if a cult gets big enough for purestrains then the psychic signature is easily identifiable, making attack more likely. Or it could be that one chart I saw showing how genestealers influence 'nid invasions.

Either way, thanks for the clarification.
>>
>>53121743
the virus isn't communicable. it's not a virus. it's a one shot biomod tumor, basically. it's a one and done tainting of a conception. what does happen is the gen 1 puts a psychic whammy on it's parents/family to love it. though if there are genestealers around, it's very likely the uninfected partner would get kissed anyways if the opportunity presents itself.
>>
>>53121771
so purestrains and fleet stealers are different. purestrains are smarter, cleverer, independant. Fleet stealers are basically cloned and subjugated by the hivemind limiting their ability to think and do things. A fleet stealer cut from the hivemind long enough can develop into a purestrain, though.
>>
>>53121850
Did the new genecults book change things? Prior to that, it was established that genestealers infected their host with a communicable virus.

You're right about the "psychic whammy" from the gen 1.
>>53121884
This is also true, but the primary difference is that "purestrains" are just older more developed stealers than the ones just days old from the belly of a hive ship.

Sorry for namefagging, btw. I was using it for /swg/ and forgot it was still on.
>>
>>53121938
While we're all on the subject of genestealers, would you guys play a game where the players are genestealer cultists? What system would work best? How would corruption and insanity work? What classes would there be?
>>
>>53122056
>would you guys play a game where the players are genestealer cultists?
Yes.

>What system would work best?
At a guess, Dark Heresy. I'm only familiar with Only War, so take that with a grain of salt.

Can't answer your other two questions.

Anyway, being the start of a genestealer cult sounds pretty awesome to me. I can see a lot of fun in corrupting a hive and then moving on to the next planet as the Hive Mind consumes the old.
>>
>>53108580
>>53104708

looking for something homebrew or something written??
>>
>>53121938
not changed. it was always just an implanted tumor ball that made you like stealers, feel kind of randy, and made your first conceived child a hybrid. you couldn't spread it to others, (though your spawn would psychic whammy your mate into UNNATURAL DEVOTION)
>>
>>53123941
>>53121938
clarifying why i repeated the whammy portion. the whammy is sorta permanent, it's how you get brood brothers and sleeper agents and stuff. people who haven't received the kiss but are still 100% on board with this whole cult thing.

this is me speculating but the whammy is probably the brood-mind eroding resistance and adding another mind to it's link so beyond your offspring doing it to you, it's also probably a close proximity thing. like you send an infiltrator into the cult and they manage to avoid genekisses, if they're weak-willed, by the time they report back to you, they could be sleeper agents with mentally implanted sabotage commands or flipped to the cult's side. if they're strong willed, you might be lucky.
>>
>>53124001
i keep adding things to what i say. it's closeness and time and an active broodmind for such a thing to happen, and it doesn't happen to everyone. generally just enough that a cult will have enough lackeys to be dangerous
>>
>>53122056
seems like it'd be fine in dh2e. probably you could have an additional "race/generation" step for like humans/hybrids of whatever level. everyone probably would have the same homeworld. and then the origin and role systems probably work exactly like normal

corruption probably would work as normal maybe some mild resistance to it as the broodmind helps bulwark you, ultimately too much corruptos makes you a problem for the brood, as you could infect the broodmind with chaotic inclination or become an outright enemy to it,

insanity... hmm. might be fine as is. again it's possible the broodmind helps resist it's gain, and you might gain from less sources but a nutty hybrid/brood brother also seems possible
>>
>>53122056
Is it just me, or does this question keep coming up? Homebrew. There should be Ymgarl Genestealer stuff in the OP, maybe some alternatives. Work from there.
>>
New thread when?
>>
my personal belief is genestealers aren't originally tyranids, that they're a servant race like the zoats once were (though more regulated and controlled by the hivemind). so sometimes you get mutations back to the mentality they had before, and the broodmind prepares to try to repel the hivemind and tyranids so as not to be eaten. so they flee as the hive fleets come, the broodmind invariably gets punched by the hivemind and they try again to build a power base strong enough to stop the hivefleet and let them propagate freely
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.