[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 386
Thread images: 27

File: DD-Transparent.png (57KB, 1500x750px) Image search: [Google]
DD-Transparent.png
57KB, 1500x750px
5th Edition D&D General Discussion

>Download Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Races:
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/RJSJC2017_04UASkillFeats_24v10.pdf

>Official Survey on Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Skills:
http://sgiz.mobi/s3/9faa85b8c0d0

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
https://mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/...
>>53000103
>>
kd-hp
>>
What?
>>
How good is a Serpentine owl as a mount? Can I pair it with call lightning to rain death from above? What other spells would combo well with a flying mount?
>>
>>53008919
Pally/lock vs pally/bard
can't decide halp
>>
File: Orc.jpg (91KB, 485x891px) Image search: [Google]
Orc.jpg
91KB, 485x891px
Does any mechanically inclined classes exist within Homebrew? Artificer is alright, but I was hoping for one that doesn't use magic.
>>
Wrong UA
>>
>>53008948
Druid spells to be more specific
>>
>>53008964
>Artificer
>Homebrew
What?
>>
>>53008985
Did I ever mention Artificer being homebrew? Cause I'm pretty sure I didn't
>>
>>53009031
So it was a complete non-sequitur instead?
>>
>>53009045
You may have autism
>>
File: UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf (106KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf
106KB, 1x1px
>>53008972
New UA: Revised Subclasses.
(because OP forgot to change)
>>
>>53009057
>Does any mechanically inclined classes exist within Homebrew? Artificer is alright, but I was hoping for one that doesn't use magic.

What does this mean then?
>>
First for:
The reason that sorcerers only regain 4 sorcery points and only as their capstone while wizards regain their two uses of 3rd level spells is that this lets the sorcerer store up spell slots by short resting during downtime without taking a long rest until they actually need to heal, restore hit dice, or regain a lot of spell slots.

If a wizard takes a week off to build a skeleton army, the sorcerer can spend that week gaining four fifth level spell slots for each short rest they take every day. (8 slots with two SR a day, 12 slots with three, and so on.)

>>53009078
I suppose it means you have poor reading comprehension
>>
what was your favorite encounter
>>
So this isn't really /5e/ exclusive, but I figured I'd ask here because there isn't a current DM thread. I ran my first session of my first campaign last night. 3 of my players were from a campaign I'd previously been a part of until that DM went to jail for cp, and two were friends of mine.

I started by "correcting" the homebrew rules and setup related things that the 3 previous players hated from our previous campaign and proceeded from there and everyone seemed to be having a ton of fun. However, I noticed one of the old players and one of the new players were mostly silent while the rest of the party handled a lot of the interaction with NPCs and tried to do more in combat than just rolling to hit, and even they tried to add flavor to their attacks with great descriptions.

I'm looking for tips on how to engage those two players a bit more while avoiding becoming That DM. It's too early to start dropping plot hooks so that's out. Old player is a Warlock and 1st timer is a Ranger if that helps at all? Maybe it's too early to worry about this in general?
>>
>>53009078
It means he's okay on the artificer, but he wants a non-magic using mechanically minded class.
Since others don't exist within the published stuff, he's wondering what homebrew options are available.
>>
>>53009071
MEME archery edition!
>>
>>53009071
Wizards actually listening and responding to feedback is good.
>>
Sorcerers being able to expend sorcerery points to heal themselves was a pretty good idea.
>>
>>53009078
I'm not the first guy, but it seems pretty simple.
He asked for a mechanic-inclined homebrew, most likely because Artificer, the official mechanical class, doesn't quite fit his needs. What don't you get?
>>
>>53009201
Which is exactly why you have 5e, the EditionTthat Almost Doesn't Suck But Doesn't Manage To Quite Get The Job Done.
>>
>>53009165
Arcane Archer shoots at an enemy, misses, Curves the shot to a nearby Kensai Monk who uses Deflect Missiles to catch it and throw it back at the original target, misses, and rerolls the attack with unerring accuracy. Edition
>>
>>53009225
At least it's not Autismfinder, where the public playtests and feedback mean nothing, because fuck you the devs are still going to write it how they feel like.
>>
>>53009223
>>53009139
Thanks for actually explaining, but I got it, I just want to understand why does this idiot write like that. The redaction confuses me, it's meaning its clear in the worst way possible.

But without magic what does he want anyway, an engineer? Artificers have always been about magical stuff, be it the UA Artificer or the UA Eberron Artificer.
>>
File: thenow1.jpg (239KB, 719x297px) Image search: [Google]
thenow1.jpg
239KB, 719x297px
Anyone interested in seeing the differences between each version?
>>
>>53009295
I am.
>>
>>53009295
>>53009311
Me too.
>>
>>53009295
Yes please.
>>
>>53008964
If I remember Mercer's gunslinger is on the fighter chassis so no magic.
>>
>>53009125
>pave the way to put their backstory into play.
>put some challenges that specifically require their skills and NPCs that take a liking to their characters, like:
>a herbalist that talks a lot about nature with the ranger, asks him to gather some specific plants when he's on the woods, gives him some crafting recipes maybe if you're into it
>the local goth girl approaches the warlock trying to get a pact as well
>have the patron ask the warlock to basically talk to some people, like:
>go to the library and ask for x book, read it and give me relevant info
>talk to the elder and try to get him to recount the event y, I need accounts of it in detail
>>
File: 1491745806974.jpg (76KB, 1266x785px) Image search: [Google]
1491745806974.jpg
76KB, 1266x785px
Hello I'd like to play dungeons and dragons friends.
>>
>>53008664
This is the list of spells Sorcerer'a get but Wizards don't:
Daylight
Dominate Beast
Earthquake
Enhance Ability
Fire Storm
Insect Plague
Water Walk

The opposite list is like 100 spells long

>>53008665
I like it with the exception of not really having a capstone

>>53008781
I like leaving a couple off for variety between builds. I would definitly add some new ones. Maybe even give Dragon Sorcerers the ability to choose a few spells to chamge elements on
>>
>>53009295
Do it.
>>
>>53008957
Pal-lock for blade has decent synergy, and access to cantrips is always good.
>>
>>53009295
Please do.
>>
The paladin my game died from a 400 foot fall (he chose to throw himself into a leaping strike against a Drider at the bottom of the ravine about to eat the Warlock, knowing that the fall damage would make him /very/ dead).

After he died, his spirit passed into his longsword, and the players are curious as to what effects it will have now. Any suggestions?
>>
>>53009461
Yeah, although I'd also be tempted to give a random version to Wild Mages.

Archetype based metamagic would be a neat thing.

(Or just turn Spell Secrets into a metamagic option completely)
>>
>>53009694
did you kill it?
>>
>>53009726
The paladin did indeed kill the Drider.

The force of the impact from his body + the damage from his longsword killed her.
>>
>>53009124
A bit long, but here I go.

>Party gets led to a dungeon as part of a test to join an adventurer guild
>Party is a cleric (me), rogue, paladin, and some other assorted casters
>Go through the dungeon, some shenanigans because it's a lot of the players' first time playing D&D
>Party comes to a chasm with three rope bridges spanning it
>To the left, there's an underground waterfall that looks like it's been frozen in time
>Each bridge has two levers at the end of each suspension rope
>We conclude that these levers let the attached rope loose
>We're still checking things out when another party (maybe 5 people) appears on the other side of the chasm
>They declare that they're here to defeat us even if it costs their lives
>Combat starts
>Enemies immediately pull the lever on their end for the northern bridge, causing the rope to fall away, leaving the bridge useless
>One of them starts moving down the middle bridge and another moves down the southern bridge, knowing we won't risk destroying anymore bridges
>Paladin moves down the middle bridge to meet the enemy, rogue follows to support him
>I position myself between the party and the southern bridge, ready to intercept the other enemy
>The casters start doing their thing, mostly trying to fuck with the remaining enemies on the other side

(1/2)
>>
>Level 8
>Battlemaster Fighter, Valor Bard, Wild sorcerer and War Cleric
>Out of the Abyss
What do I play?
>>
>>53009694
+1 longsword afraid of heights
>>
So that Arcane Archer revision makes me want to multi-class my longbow rogue into it. I just can't decide on the class spread, I've never got to play a Rogue so not sure which ones are worth giving up.

I'll be level 8 soon so with 12 levels to work with it seems like the most efficient is either 3 or 8. 8 so I can get the normal ASI and the curving shot(along with an extra attack)and 3 just enough for permanent +1 ammo and two arcane shots.

Just not sure whether giving up some of the rogue(Thief archetype)skills is worth it or not to just dip my toes in or go all in multiclass.
>>
>>53009748
What books are you allowed to use in the first place?

>>53009694
Dawnbringer, but afraid of heights and can cast Jump on the wearer.
>>
>>53009744
>Suddenly the time frozen waterfall starts slowly unfreezing
>Starts surging towards the bridges in slow motion, likely going to sweep them away
>The casters get spooked and start dropping the heavy stuff
>One of the enemies on the other side goes down to spells
>Southern enemy finishes crossing the bridge, but gets hit with Sleep before he can hurt anyone
>Another enemy starts crossing the southern bridge
>Someone hits the rope on the southern bridge with an acid spell, which breaks it and sends the enemy on it into the chasm
>Paladin downs the enemy in the middle, crosses the bridge, and engages the last guy on the other side of the chasm
>Waterfall is moving faster and overtakes the remains of the northern bridge
>Casters quickly cross the middle bridge and help the paladin finish off the last enemy
>Middle guy is still alive, so my good guy cleric decides to stabilize him and carry him across
>Ask the rogue to help, but when it comes to his turn he bails and crosses the bridge without me
>Have to carry the guy myself
>Barely cross in time before the waterfall overtakes the middle bridge and then returns to normal speed
>There's a hallway leading to the end of the dungeon
>Leave the guy there for the guild to pick up later
>Tell him my name when he asks for it
>DM takes a note before telling us to continue

I don't think we ever got a clear answer about who those guys were. Maybe they were just other guildies that the guild was willing to pay resurrection costs for or something. Or maybe just some sort of constructs.
>>
>>53009694
1d4 smites per day recharge at dawn, base level. Also once per day the wielder can use their reaction to gain Feather Fall.
>>
College of Swords Bard with a multiclass into Paladin? Other then multiclassing UA it seems like a fun character.
>>
>>53009775
Anything. UA is fine too, but no mystic
>>
File: 1492578058652.jpg (133KB, 803x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1492578058652.jpg
133KB, 803x1000px
>>53009748
Either Oath of Devotion or Oath of Ancients Paladin, smite evil anon.
>>
File: Armor of Spirits.jpg (184KB, 500x726px) Image search: [Google]
Armor of Spirits.jpg
184KB, 500x726px
>>53009843
>but no mystic
Bummer.
Take the Barbarian Ghoulcaller, sounds fun.
>>
File: King_Hekaton.png (86KB, 171x189px) Image search: [Google]
King_Hekaton.png
86KB, 171x189px
>483 replies
Stop being lazy
>>
>>53008957
There's no substitute for bard
>>
>>53009763
Take 3 or 5 levels. Action Surge and the Fighting Style will be enough for you, with the magic shit and Extra Attack as gravy.
>>
>>53009748
I don't know much about Out of the Abyss, but that's the one that happens in the Underdark, right? I'd imagine that a Deep Stalker Ranger would be a good fit for that.
>>
>>53009694
Turn him into a Hexblade.
Do it faggit!
>>
>>53009748
Shadow monk
>>
>>53009984
If the Warlock wasn't Pact of the Tome, that'd be perfect.
>>
>>53009984
I'm with this anon, there's some cool potential there.
>>
>>53009748
Goblin Deepstalker. bonus action hiding from everything, everywhere. Plus I've heard that Rangers are good in OotA.
>>
>>53009715
Ya, spell secrets ald alchemical casting could all be broken down into multiple metamagics
>>
>>53010028
No I think he means make the Paladin into a Hexblade with some "I'm actually the weapon" memes.
>>
>>53010028
He can switch pacts.

>>53010051
No i mean the Paladin becomes a Hexblade patron.
>>
>>53010051
Ah.

He already chose to roll a Barbarian and is greatly enjoying his greataxe.
>>
>>53010061
pls read:
>>53010059
>Paladin becomes a Hexblade patron
Oh I see, that's much less retarded than what I was thinking.
>>
>>53010059
Maybe.

I'll ask her if she'd like to switch pacts. She'll probably say no, since her character is obsessed with collecting tomes.
>>
>>53009974
Maybe bump it up to 6 for a bit of extra HP and the 6th level ASI for Fighters could work. Well its extra stats or Slippery Mind.

5 definitely seems like a good solid choice though.
>>
>>53009295

If you're going through the effort then please do.
>>
>>53010111
Technically you can be a Tome Hexblade. I mean I don't really see why you would, but it's possible and with GFB/BoomBlade you don't "need" the extra attack invocation from Blade anyways.

And since they'd presumably have the sword on hand anyways they wouldn't need to summon one anyways.
>>
Our DM doesn't actually award XP, just levels. Is this ok or should I confront her? It is kind of simpler this way but some mechanics do involve XP and I do like seeing them numbers go up.

Second question: I've just hit level 3 and am choosing between Devotion and Vengeance for my Paladin. We're playing CoS currently. Help me decide please.
>>
>>53010178
Milestone leveling is literally the patrician way to play.
>>
File: 1492378657023.jpg (102KB, 636x900px) Image search: [Google]
1492378657023.jpg
102KB, 636x900px
>>53010178
Devotion, uphold the ideals of good and wanting to save the land from darkness.

Also it's a suggested alternative in one of the books if I remember correctly so no real issue.
>>
>>53010111
The pact can still be tome for a Hexblade patron. What is the warlock's current patron?
>>
>>53010178
>some mechanics do involve XP

Like what?
>>
>>53010178
Milestone leveling is fine, I prefer XP but don't worry about it.

Also Devotion for sure, Charm immunity is very good in CoS.
>>
>>53010210

This is truth, especially since it tamps down on the "I have to kill everything for exp" but then I imagine only a shitty gm actually allowing that stupidity
>>
>>53010178
Vengeance. Don't listen to >>53010212 , since the land is literally impossible to save. You might as well avenge it.
>>
>>53010178
The campaign guide for Curse of Strahd tells the DM to award levels based on milestones, so she's doing that right

Otherwise getting lost in the wilderness and set upon by dire wolves would offer some kind of reward rather than just grinding you down, bleeding you out slowly, slowly, until the master decides it's time for this little game to end - and then... kill my pretties! Kill them all!
>>
>>53010219
Well I know some stuff from deck of many things drains your xp and some res spells I think? Not sure.
>>
>>53010174
>>53010218
She's a GOO-Lock, serving a-believed-to-be-dead god that is now aware of her leeching power from him (well, it) and demanded she retrieve a tome or be punished.

She's really digging the idea of her character being so scared of this entity she's been stealing power from that she ends up in bad situations, so I dunno if she'd want to change.
>>
>>53010111
Hexblade is the patron.

Tome is just a subclass feature.
>>
>>53010249
One of the deck of many things results grants you 50,000 XP and one drains a level, but there aren't any decks in CoS as far as I can remember
>>
>>53010238
>>53010244

Ok you have confused me further. Vengeance for the fluff and Devotion for the mechanics then if I understand correctly? Unfortunately, that was also why I'm in the predicament in the first place (and I really like the vengeance spells).
>>
Is there a better dataset for 5e on PCGen?
>>
>>53010284
I said don't listen to him. Go Vengeance. It's so good you could literally solo Strahd.
>>
>>53010284
Trust, when you get to a certain point you will literally hate yourself for not getting the Charm Immunity.

Without spoilers, remember that Vampires are big on mind control effects.
>>
>>53010266
I'd go with your original idea and leave it at a magic sword.
>>
>>53010284
Be Devotion, become the bright heart of your party

So they can all be distraught when you're singled out as being a threat and dispatched with extreme prejudice
>>
>>53010266
I mean, it's her character and if she's happy with what she has, there's no sense in taking that away from her. Just float the idea and see how she reacts, since Hexblade patron is a pretty cool way to keep the paladin memorable.

>>53010284
Devotion mechanics are better for party support, but yes, the Vengeance spell list and mechanics let them really fuck up one dude's day.
>>
>>53010244
>Vengeance
>Taking the edge way because it easier

Vengeance Paladins were a mistake.

>>53010284
Honestly it comes down to what appeals to you more. Me I'm tired of seeing vengeance paladins because everyone plays them now thinking it gives them a free pass to do what ever.

Also even though it maybe "hopeless" to help the land rp wise I'd make it interesting even if your paladin were to realize his but not give up anyway.
>>
File: IMG_20170315_141921.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170315_141921.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
>>53010315
>>53010317

T-thanks 5eg. Have this cat.
>>
>>53010319
>>53010341
Yeah, it's definitely a cool idea and I'll ask her about it.

The Paladin told me he'd prefer if the Bard took up the sword, so while the Warlock studies its properties, we'll see if the Bard is willing to take up his fallen friend's blade.
>>
>>53010343
It's not easy, it's the sane option
>beat strahd
>don't read next line, future Vengeance pally
>he comes back in a few months anyway
Just fucking kill him in 2 turns and go away.
>>
File: image.jpg (637KB, 1381x1919px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
637KB, 1381x1919px
My current character (lv10) will probably die permanently next session so planning my backup.

Wanting to go Bladesinger and try multi classing for once but can't decide between Fighter 2 -> Bladesinger 8 or Fighter 1 -> Rogue 3 (Swashbuckler) -> Bladesinger 6

My level 1 stats before modifiers 6, 16, 14, 15, 10, 12 and my DM gives us a free feat regardless of variant human or not. Taking Dual Wielder.

Dilemma

>Just Fighter dip gets more spells and earlier Song of Victory + Action Surge

>Rogue route has infinite skills, 2d6 Sneak, Fancy Footwork, +1 initiative / not requiring more people to active sneak

It'll be 6 levels at least until I can add my Int mod to attacks so I'm leaning towards just going with the rogue route as we have pretty long encounters and the 2d6 every round will go further than action surge / more spells.

I need someone to confirm my beliefs or call me retarded, either or.
>>
What Figurine of wonderous power makes the best mount (thats not the obsidian steed because its too obvious an answer ) /5eg/?
>>
>>53010436
Ths fly?
>>
>>53010436
Tower of Grey.
>>
Ancestor Barbarian, Blade Bard or Arcane Archer? We've got a new game in a week and all of these appeal to me strongly.

I'd either be a Dwarven Barbarian with talkative ancestor spirits, a Tabaxi Bard who was a noble in his homeland or a Human Fighter who had an abusive Elven step-dad and is so emo.
>>
>>53010443
>>53010450

Why is Tower of Grey a superfly but Superfly is a grey tower?
>>
>>53010436
I think they all have too long a cooldown to be of use as a mount.
>>
>>53010459
Barb character concept is the only not-shit one you have, anon.
>>
What is a good setting? i am a beginner at settings not a dming
>>
>>53010479
But if you want mounted combat soaring above the heads of your enemies once or twice every 2 days its pretty sweet
>>
File: 1493400615245.jpg (5KB, 201x201px) Image search: [Google]
1493400615245.jpg
5KB, 201x201px
>>53010404
That changes nothing about my statement, then again I forget most people on here build for DPR instead of fun.
>>
>>53010501
Eberron.
>>
>>53009412
1)drop frogposting
2)list timezone
3)tell us what do you define as "fun"
>>
>>53010524
What is it about?
>>
File: Your next line.jpg (89KB, 494x298px) Image search: [Google]
Your next line.jpg
89KB, 494x298px
>>53010467
Because that's what I wanted you to ask.
>>
>>53010535
Demon tiger men plotting against polymorphed dragons, undead terrorists, and monopolizing merchant houses in a world recovering from a continent-wide war, with widespread low-power magic allowing the creation of airships and magic trains.
>>
>>53010513
If you are at a point where you can pick what rare magic item you want then you should probably also be at a point where just training a flying mount is possible.
>>
>>53009748
I dunno out of the abyss but heyo, if war cleric doesn't have high AC consider going Paladin with high AC, otherwise this is a great set up already, you can really play just about anything
>>
>>53010501
Build a setting with your group.
>>
>>53010571
But thats no fun and it cant talk to you telepathically unless if you're a ghostwise halfling or something. I found the magic item (serpentine owl) and wanted to see /5eg/s opinion
>>
How stupid is to change from 5e to 3.5PF
>>
>>53010519
Only part of my argument was the damage you could deal. The other part was that saving the land is literally impossible, so it might be better to roll with a practical guy. But then again I forget faggots come here everyday and misunderstand simple phrases, while being passive-agressive, appealing to some minmax boogeyman.
>>
>>53010654
Pretty.
But not impossible I guess.
>>
>>53010654
not as stupid as you not fucking off back to /pfg/
>>
>>53010535
It's a normal, generic setting that's not as bad as Forgotten Realms. It has airships, magic nuclear fallout Mournland, warforged, special snowflake lich and power struggle. What else to ask for?
>>
>>53010467
Why does ACDC control heat, while RHCP controls electricity?
>>
>>53010656
>The other part was that saving the land is literally impossible

This is what I hate about CoS, I get that it's a Gothic horror adventure and all that but in the end you just dicked around for 10 levels, probably ruined quite a few peoples lives and accomplished jackshit because it's impossible to fix.
>>
>>53010692
Why is JJBA good while Araki is a hack?
>>
>>53010654
Don't go back. You've lived too long in the sunlight and forgotten the chill of the dark, but the moment you step back in you'll remember why you left. And by then it will be too late.
>>
>>53008283
If you had a spell that made a lot of lamp oil, that's suitably creative.

If you had to fill it with oil without a spell, there'd be a whole load of hoops your DM would sensibly make you go through (How do you get that much oil there? Where do you buy it from? Is it even going to burn in this case properly? Do you have the money? Can store it properly on the way? Did you even scout the lair to make sure you can do this?)
But if there was a spell of 'create tonnes of fucking lamp oil' you could skip all of those steps and say 'well, it's magic.' You get the creative use, but you don't get all the boring faff, though it does mean there's a lot less of a build-up.
>>
>>53010730
A mystery for the ages
>>
>>53010737
Ha that happened to me yesterday when i wanted to go out with other girls
>>
>>53009748
Wolf barbarian, moon druid, wizard, shadow monk, barbarogue, rogue, revised ranger, devotion paladin, mystic, artificer, blaster sorlock. Pick your poison, really.
>>
>>53010423
The most important question is what you intend to do with Bladesinger. What do you expect out of it?
>>
>>53010656
I come here every day and forget the biggest passive aggressive faggots get mad when their subconscious optimizing is brought to light.

Your argument about the land being impossible to cleanse has no bearing, unless your a metagaming optimizing fag, because a devotion paladin can come in trying just that only to realize it's impossible and look for alternatives to help people.
>>
I really liked this UA
>>
>>53010729
Unless you fucked up, you at least reunited Ireena and Sergei, laid some revenants to rest, killed some evil witches and druids, changed the leadership of a werewolf pack for the better, helped an old man find peace, slew Strahd's most loyal servant and freed a good few souls from a dark and twisted hell.

When Strahd does return, his land will have far fewer people to torment, and far fewer means to do so.
>>
File: 1492424301406.jpg (125KB, 637x476px) Image search: [Google]
1492424301406.jpg
125KB, 637x476px
>>53010249
>Deck of many things
>Ever
>>
>>53010807
If anything someone who keeps fighting for what is good and right despite knowing in the end his cause might be pointless sounds pretty devotion paladin to me. Giving his all just to make life just a little less shit for people.
>>
>>53008964
Fighter, Rogue.
>>
>>53010875
Have a random NPC draw from it
>>
File: 1482257827968.gif (2MB, 250x220px) Image search: [Google]
1482257827968.gif
2MB, 250x220px
>>53010249
>Wanting to fuck around with a deck of many things

Hello darkness my old friend
>>
>>53010822
Sooner rather then later all those things will go back to shit though, there's no long lasting changes you can make for the better.
>>
File: kanna10.gif (529KB, 220x227px) Image search: [Google]
kanna10.gif
529KB, 220x227px
>>53010899
>Random NPC gets to change an event from the past
>"I stop the creation of the universe"
>>
Is it just me or did they nerf arcane archer? Now arcane shot has ST and some shots don't even deal extra damage! And dealing non force damage is also a nerf imo
>>
File: 1491511374865.jpg (51KB, 600x604px) Image search: [Google]
1491511374865.jpg
51KB, 600x604px
>>53010899
>Letting an NPC have a shot at wish
>>
For building a Swords or Valor Bard, what should my stat array be? I have to dump a few stats to be able to have a 16 in both DEX and CHA and both seem rather important.
>>
>>53010924
Nah theyd probably just wish for a sandwich or something
>>
>>53010929
They get +1 to hit and +1 to damage. Before all they could do is make non-magical ammo at 7.
>>
Is giving a free feat to the entire party on char-gen worth it to cut down on having 4 variant humans?
>>
>>53010948
The point is, the deck of many things doesn't make sense except in a campaign where the highest power of all is some really, really fucking bored trickster god who doesn't care if everything goes to shit and they made a stupid deck of cards and gave it to some goblin child as a joke.
>>
>>53010890
Exactly, the other anon feels that since it's pointless just roll up a vengeance paladin to make everything easier.
>>
>>53010951
That's not enough imho
>>
>>53010974
What would a little goblin boy even wish for
>>
>>53010944
Depends on what you wish to be doing.

Like, DPR Bard is Valor prioritizing DEX and Sharpshooter and grabbing Swift Quiver at 10th for 4 attacks per round.
>>
>>53010929
Basically they had the same issue most Fighter subclasses have in the fact they were dependent on a resource they might not have time to recover.

The +1 Arrows are really, really good because 99% of Archers use Sharpshooter which gives the -5 to hit. Also because the arrows are magical they stack with +1/+2/+3 bows.

The issue with just buffing arcane shot is then you have "Battlemaster: Magic Archer edition". I personally really like this version of it.
>>
>>53010997
Maglubiyet's eternal happiness.
>>
>>53010963
It does help cut down on it, but the real fix is to give everybody parts of weapon feats for free and remove weapon feats. And then give everyone a feat anyway and let them customize it a bit to flesh out their character mechanically.

>>53010981
It's more than enough. Champion gets, what, 0.05 chance of dealing 3.5 extra damage with a handcrossbow, or 0.05 extra chance of dealing 7/8.33 extra damage on a greatsword and triggering cleave for potentially an extra hit, all the while making damage more inconsistent?
And yet champion is actually pretty okay, if really dull.

The +1 ammo makes it more valuable than champion is to a GWM fighter, and that's not considering the other features arcane archer gets.

>>53010997
Goblin supremacy.
>>
>>53011017
I was hoping to go melee, probably single weapon and a shield.

It seems like Swords would want more Charisma but I do like the fact I get a Fighting Style.
>>
>>53011048
>>53010997
Also this isn't about wish

Wish isn't powerful enough.
This is about the card that
"The Fates. Reality's fabric unravels and spins anew,
allowing you to avoid or erase one event as if it never
happened. You can use the card's magic as soon as you
draw the card or at any other time before you die."

There's literally no restrictions on this
>>
>>53011031
>they stack with +1/+2/+3 bows

They have to be fired from a non-magical weapon, so it doesn't stack.
>>
>>53011084
That's the best card.
>>
>>53011088
>Whenever you fire a nonmagical arrow from a longbow or shortbow
Read it again.
>>
>>53010784
I want to be in combat but also want to get around the battlefield and have high defence capabilities
>>
>>53011102
It literally says 'Fuck all of reality'

You can just say 'Eh, I wish tiamat was never born/created/whatever.'
>>
>>53011048
>>53011031
I just don't like the fact that you only get 2 arcane shots/rest, and you don't get more uses when you level up like BM does. When I read that you used them only on a hit, I thought that would compensate as you would not waste resources, but them I saw the shots have a ST now, and they use the AA intelligence, which makes the subclass MAD.
>>
Holy fuck! The "random dungeon generation" at the end of the DM's guide might as well be called the "Megadungeon generator".

It's pretty fun because it just keeps going, but it allows you to adopt your own sort of logic to dungeon layout as you go along.

I'm thinking about running a "randomly generated West-Marches" campaign, using 5e.

Anyone got any suggestions?
>Used DonJon's random world generator for the setting.
>Pointed at a random location on the map to determine where the starting town is
>Stereotypical "city with anything you'd need" used as a base of operations
>Randomly generated tavern
>Surrounded by randomly generated dungeons, using the rules from the DM's guide.

Got any more tools for running this sort of thing? So far it's been pretty fun. The most fun part is trying to make sense of the random shit that these things spew out. Sometimes they throw a loop that adds a lot of character.
>>
>>53009124
>infiltrating a keep full of bandits serving some cult
>scope the place out all day, wait until night falls
>scale the least-guarded wall, shank the guard as we mantle the edge
>shoot another guard and approach the far tower
>four wizard-looking dudes inside doing magical shit
>Ranger pops a silence into the room
>Fighter1, Fighter2, and paladin bumrush the room
>Fighter2 and Paladin take out their targets
>Fighter1 grapples two of the wizards and beats them to death with each other
>loot the room and sneak across the wall and into the courtyard
>stack up on the barracks door
>breach; Ranger takes out woke guard and fighters+paladin give free tracheotomies to sleeping soldiers
>creep along the other wall to the second far tower
>an ogre and some goblins or something inside
>silence-breach again; ogre drops to surprise, two goblins necked on the capstan's pegs
>guards outside wonder why the rear "gate" opened and go to check on both towers
>ranger snipes one at far tower, second guy walks into the tower with the party and is immediately clowned
>party struts to the main gate room while holding up the shields of the guards
>takes the guards inside a second to realize it's not their buds; murdalized within the turn
>head to the dining hall where "the boss" is after having cleared the rest of the area
>nearly get spotted by some patrolling guard but Ranger zots his dumb ass
>no more sneaking, kick in the hall door and start talking mad shit to everyone assembled
>Fighters rush to tank and realize OH SHIT THIS GUY'S A WEREBOAR
>Paladin, Sorclock, and Ranger are slaughtering minions
>Fighter1 is a Tavern Brawler and runs wereboar through with a silver candlestick
>Fighter2 shield-punts his ass to the floor and decapitates
>secure the keep and prepare to raid the cult base below later
>>
>>53009071
Arcane archer needs to use superiority dice. There is no excuse for not using the Fighter system in the Fighter class. I like the idea of keeping it only to fighters, but it is their defining archetype.

Kensai looks better with the wording. Now it actually works and allows for decent archery.
>>
>>53011134
West Marches are so fucking boring man.
>>
>>53011165
If you gave maneuvers to Fighters on a basic level, what becomes the level 3 feature for Battlemasters?
>>
>>53011111
Quints of truth
>>
>>53011125
Then you start running a campaign to liberate the world from the Illithid Empire, which would never have collapsed without the Gith revolution, which turned the tides with a deal with Tiamat.
>>
>>53009071
On one hand, they're actually touching up on these archetypes, it's good content, and I've gained new hope we'll see a proper book for class options in the reasonable future.

On the other hand, UAs once a month and if any of them turn out to be bad, fuck.
>>
>>53011125
But than what if you're never born because your great great great great great great grandparents met because both of their former spouses were murdered by Tiamat/dragon cultists
>>
>>53010942
Critical Role's last episode had this happen.
>>
>>53011111
Not that anon but got me thinking. Would an arrow fired from a +1 bow not be magical? If the arrow is not magical then why should it effect creature with resistance to non-magical.
>>
>>53011174
How so?

When run properly, they seem to ireward players that invest into them and give careful consideration to things instead of just being given reards based on whatever track is set out for them.
>>
Any tips for coming up with pranks to play on my group? I'm playing my first campaign and made my character a changeling artificer with a Loki-esk personality but after my first session I'm realizing that it's harder than I thought it would be to mess with my companions.
>>
>>53011116
Well, the issue with Bladesinger is that... doing wizard shit is better than waving your weapon at enemies.

Bladesong is effectly just a defensive/mobility boost. You shouldn't be attacking - you should be casting spells.

If you want to be a gish there are better options.
>>
>>53011165
>Kensai looks better with the wording. Now it actually works and allows for decent archery.
But you can't choose greatswords as kensai weapons anymore, sad!
>>
>>53011222
It's why it was the first thing to come to mind
>>
>>53011212
And then some other faggot somewhere gets their hands on the cards and wished that illithids were never created either.
And then shit keeps changing every day.
The adventurers wake up 'Okay, what's the timeline of the day today? We have space travel now?'
>>
>>53011228
Maybe I've just played in poorly run ones, but they always seem to end up in people seeing their characters as disposable and constant combat-fests.
>>
what's a good online character generator/sheet?
>>
>>53011244
>implying multiple decks of many things
>>
>>53011231
Don't.
>>
>>53011244
Thats the thing with the deck of many things, you should use it when you are out of ideas.
>>
>>53011131
Not really that MAD though, the way people talk about Ability Scores on here a lot is rather stupid. Having a Save DC 1 point lower only changes the chance by 5%, that's 1/20 where it will really have an effect. Also because the only feat Arcane Archers need is Sharpshooter they're free to increase other stats. They're not the best thing in the world, but they're good.

>>53011165
Why is everyone obsessed with maneuvers? They're not that fun when only 2-3 of them are any good. The Fighter's main thing should be consistently high damage output and high defence, if some subclasses use resources it's fine but it definitely isn't needed on the main class when it's whole thing is it just does good constantly.

>>53011227
...That's a really good question. I don't think the arrow's magical but I think the attack from the bow is. So I actually don't know.
>>
>>53010178

Devotion would work very well for a character who seems to redeem and free Barovia. But Vengeance would work too.

my character after my first one died in CoS was an elven Revenant Vengeance paladin whose only reason to exist was to destroy Strahd. We destroyed Strahd's coffin ahead of his wedding. He ended up tackling Strahd off the edge of the cliffs off of Ravenloft, piercing him with the Sun Sword, and laughing as they both crumbled to dust
>>
>>53011231
Don't unless you guys are good friends irl, other wise you're gonna start useless drama and either be asked to leave the party and reroll a character, or if they have a That Guy he'll just try and kill you.

Keep tricks to NPCs and such untill your characters have a reason to keep you around.
>>
>>53011259
No, I talked it over with them before I settled on it and they like the idea.
>>
>>53011184
No, I mean more archetypes should be using superiority dice - though just making the dice a class feature would have been more potentially interesting.

Then again, I'm in the middle of a homebrew that gives every class the same level progression.
>>
>>53011245
I could see that being a problem if that came up, but that's all a matter of how the DM runs it.

That could be a problem in any campaign, regardless of format.
>>
>>53011279
>ha ha ha yeah jeff sounds like a good idea go ahead
>[holy shit jeff's a dumbass but we need a fifth player, let's just ignore his shit]
>>
>>53011233
But, Bladesinger is a great 2 level dip for the aspiring EK, AT, or EK/AT.
>>
>>53010423
Stone Sorcerer all the way!
With quicken spell you get "extra attack" as early as level 3, and it only gets better at level 5 when it does extra damage on a hit.
Cast shield when you need to, and you'll have some pretty good survivability.
Misty Step out when things get heated, and throw down fireballs with your bonus action, and twinned fire bolts. Best of both ranged and melee damage.

Convince your DM to let you use the Spell Points system instead of slots, it's so much easier.
>>
>>53011316
They don't need me and I offered to play something else before we started.
>>
>>53011267
A Battlemaster is still constantly good, it just has some extras too. It's not like they lose all the great core features of a Fighter.
>>
>>53011111
shiggy
>>
>>53008964
Look for the gunslinger CLASS that's based on the Mercer's version. It has a gunsmith archetype that might fit what you are looking for.
>>
File: baldwindrink.gif (132KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
baldwindrink.gif
132KB, 500x281px
>>53011334
>They don't need me
heavy
>>
>>53011227

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/26/are-ammunitions-fired-with-magic-ranged-weapon-magical/

This seems to imply the ammunition's still nonmagical but the damage is. So I think it stacks.

>>53011339
Yeah, Battlemaster's good and it fills a certain role, I do like it. My main issue is that not every fighter needs to have a pool of "Not!magic special attacks".

I see nothing wrong with having options that focus on passive bonuses and abilities they can use all day long.

Plus Scout and Cavalier already tried to use BM dice... and they're not very fun.
>>
>>53011231
Who are the other characters?
>>
>>53011274
I talked it over with my group and even offered to play something else but they all told me to go for it so I did. I'm not railroading them or anything of that sort just trying to create humorous situations as we progress through our quests. I'm just looking for tips, ideas or inspiration for light pranks I could pull on my crew. For instance, the next time someone goes to sleep I'm going to change into and old lady and wait for them to wake up to me cuddling them and talking about how much fun I had.
>>
>>53011231
Throw the Wizards spellbook in the fire, impale the Thief with the Fighter's sword and then do a shit on the Cleric's holy symbol.

Then shout "It's what my character would do".
>>
>>53011319
2 levels for a +2 bonus to AC and Concentration? Not really.
>>
>>53009680
except if you go by the PHB the spell slots are fucking garbage then
>>
>>53011425
They're all CN save the minatour who's CE
We have a android artificier, minatour barbarian, some sort of humanoid bard, a tiefling fighter, and a rouge who's all out nuts.
>>
File: gnizard.jpg (63KB, 640x630px) Image search: [Google]
gnizard.jpg
63KB, 640x630px
Is this a good portrait for a Gnome Wizard? Also, how do I Divination Wizard right?
>>
>>53011461
Soooo helpful. Thanks...
>>
File: doot doot.jpg (498KB, 1744x2480px) Image search: [Google]
doot doot.jpg
498KB, 1744x2480px
Why can't I think of any good character concepts for Paladins
They just seem so terribly bland in concept to me
>>
>>53011491
>CN
>minotaur
>android
oh boy
>>
>>53011521
Paladins have always kind of suffered as far as mechanical variety goes. If we're talking roleplaying characterization though, just pick any characterization you like and then try to figure out how their oath would affect them.
>>
>>53011258
You only need the one deck and for it to be handed around.

>>53011262
And that's why I'll call it a crutch or something.
At the very least make a more sensible homebrew version of it.
>>
>>53011475
2 levels for Int mod based AC and Con bonus, advantage on acro checks, and +10ft movement speed 20 rounds per short rest. Its worth it unless you don't invest in Int and you don't need War Caster or a Shield.
>>
>>53011521
Why tho? They're just armored warriors with divine magic. You can do whatever the fuck you want with them.
>>
File: MaskCarrey.jpg (48KB, 335x307px) Image search: [Google]
MaskCarrey.jpg
48KB, 335x307px
>>53011506
No one is going to take your lulzy party seriously around here.
Is anyone in your gaming group even legally allowed to post on 4chan?
>>
Does anybody actually use Purple Dragon Knight, or Mastermind? Some of the SCAG classes seem kinda bad.
>>
>>53011439
use prestiditation to make all their food taste like weird things at random times

make water taste like ale,

swap out their weapons with illusions at camp and hide it in their bags

jack in the box's
>>
>>53010746
>If you had to fill it with oil without a spell, there'd be a whole load of hoops your DM would sensibly make you go through
Or they could just charge thousands of GP for each barrel of oil.
>>
Best Arcane Shots? Grasping Arrow and Piercing Arrow seem pretty good, the Illusion one seems the worst.
>>
>>53011521
You realize a paladin can be anything with an oath, right? Green knights, paladins that protect nature, are a thing. Oath of Vengeance is the avenger from 4e. The generic sword and board, golden, sparkling, lawful good boner having is only 1/3 of the concept and there's a lot of directions you can take that.

Unless your DM looks at any petty thing as an excuse to make them fall, in which case your DM is shit.
>>
File: Alfred P.jpg (7KB, 194x260px) Image search: [Google]
Alfred P.jpg
7KB, 194x260px
>>53011521
>"HALP! I has no imagination, pls send game mechanics!"
Go play pathfinder, you'll never have to strain your atrophied imagination again.
>>
>>53009071
>Favored Soul THREE POINT O
>They still somehow fuck it up

wew there!
>>
>>53011656
>Doesn't have to imagine anything because the options are all shit
Maybe he can imagine himself having fun
>>
>>53011494
get save or suck spells and whatever else you want, give low rolls to shit so they autofail your disables, give your high rolls to your team so they autopass DC effects.
>>
>>53011521
Pick any Oath
These are your Oath's new tenets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuYeHPFR3f0
>>
>>53011621
I really, really want to like PDK, but it's literally complete shit. If they do another revisited UA then it, Berserker and 4 Elements are the ones I think need it most.

Mastermind is better then you'd think. It works great with another Rogue in the party and decent with other characters. Remember that you can help with ability checks in combat, so grappling and shit as well. The History skill feat is a must.

Other then that Arcana Clerics and Battlerager were decent options from it. Arcana Cleric's basically the perfect Gish but people don't like it because it's called a Cleric. Battlerager never gets enough credit but it's much better then a Berserker for everything except the level 6.
>>
Can the College of Swords use booming blade/Green-Flame Blade with their Blade Flourish ability? If not haste or Elemental Weapon?
>>
>>53011627
Thank you.

>>53011607
That's fair but yes, we're all late 20s early 30s
>>
>>53011733
Nope, not at all.
>>
Blade Flourish is not the Attack Action, so you can't:

-Attack with your off-hand
-Gain extra attacks from Haste

Who thought this was a good idea?
>>
>>53011771
>Gain extra attacks from Haste
This works mate.

The off-hand thing is probably meant to work but they fucked up the wording.
>>
>>53011742
The main issue is most people on 5eg just roll there eyes anytime someone comes in making a meme character. Once they view your character as a meme stop bothering because most people are just gonna give you shit.

In my opinion I'd hate your character because it's a gimmick that will get old really quick, yeah it'll get a chuckle or two but eventually it's just going to be be a "oh look he did something wacky and funny again."
>>
>>53011745
Thanks!
>>53011771
Haste thing is wrong but the off-hand part probably an oversight.
>>
>>53011793
>The off-hand thing is probably meant to work but they fucked up the wording.
Obviously. I'm going to call everyone thinking otherwise an idiot right now and say "told ya so" when Crawford tweets the clarification later this week.
>>
>>53011733
Blade Flourish requires an entire action, which includes making a melee attack. Melee cantrips are out, but Elemental Weapon would add its damage. The extra action from haste could be used to make another single melee attack just fine, but not another Blade Flourish.
>>
>>53011837
Yeah, I"m with you there. It's actually probably the best Dual-Wielder around right now. They don't really need their bonus action for anything else except normal Bardic Inspiration which they will rarely use.
>>
>>53011837
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/859194808534941696
>>
>>53011877
I said later this week. He'll trip over himself and explain the opposite when it finally sinks in. Crawford is incapable of answering rules questions in a satisfying manner the first two or three times.
>>
>>53011877
Huh... odd decision.
>>
>>53011908
He'll do a "Blade Flourish does trigger TWF, sometimes knowing the system guts is a bad thing" like he did for Kensai. Apparently actually knowing the rules instead of assuming something works isn't what he expects.
>>
>>53011908
>he'll mention that you can't use bonus action attacks when dual wielding on a special action like Blade Flourish but that BF was supposed to have a line that said you could take a dual wielding attack as a bonus action
this is "unarmed strike is and isn't a weapon" all over again
>>
>>53011928
Well, Crawford is the rules guy, he says how the rules WORK, not how they were intended (this is Mearls' job)
>>
>>53011244
God, realism fags are so fucking autistic.

Listen, no other adventuring party gets the deck. Things only happen in the campaign if they would lead to an interesting and entertaining story. Just ignore stupid shit no one gives a fuck about like hurr the economics of oni villages or durr why dont wizards rule the world or whatever. Fuck.
>>
>>53011521
My character is a diplomat/politition who lusts for more political power because he was born to a whore, who was then killed by a noble.

then while doing his duties as a diplomat a paladin (who was his bodyguard) saved his life, and when asked what he should do to return his favor the paladin asked him to take his vows.

now my character begrudgingly does what an oath of vengeance paladin is supposed to do, not because he wants to, but because he has to for his word is his bond.
>>
>>53011960
>hey crawford, how does this thing work? it seems like a huge oversight given this other thing
>[PAGE 61]
>yeah that's great, i read page 61 before asking, but it's still unclear, could you give a ruling on this example case
>NO
>is that "no it doesnt work" or "no i wont give a case example"
>[PAGE 61 RE-WORDED]
>that still doesnt answer anything
>mearls: i dont see anything broken about this so go ahead :) :) :)
>>
Would monk become broken with some sort of ki recharge ability.
>>
>>53012028
No.
also it's called a short rest OWNED
>>
>>53011981
If you want to play a mindless hack n' slash, 4e is better for that. I like there to be at least a little plot to 5e where things actually have a reason for being other than 'lol randumb magic item'
>>
>>53012028
If they spend 45+ minutes without doing hard work just give them back, same as Warlock and all other Short Rest abilities.
>>
>>53012028
It gets all its ki back on a short rest anyway, so probably not. Depends on how much and how frequently.

For reference, its level 20 is that it gets four back every time it rolls initiative with none remaining, but that type of ability is so boring. A lot of classes really need flashier level 20 features.
>>
>>53012069
This, really. Having to ask the entire party to sit down and do nothing for an hour just slows the game down.
>>
>>53011908
>>53011932
>>53011960
>>53011939
>>53012003
I get the feeling it's because you can do more damage with TWF than you can the duelist, so to make it work they gave the duelist the blade flourish stuff. Also you don't need to have a free hand to do the blade flourish abilities so there's that.
>>
>>53012082
>A lot of classes really need flashier level 20 features

I noticed that. I also noticed that there seems to be way too many high level/capstone features that are 'you no longer need to eat/breath/sleep or sometimes age.' Nice ribbon. Not really helpful in most games though.
>>
>>53012082
Barbarian has the coolest and one of the best level 20's. Wizard also has a good one.

>>53012096
3d6+9 vs. 2d8+10. Barely anymore damage, uses bonus action doesn't get a shield and now loses 10 speed? Also does even worse damage for using it's class abilities? Sign me right the fuck up.
>>
>>53012096
TWF's damage increase over Duelist only comes into play if you successfully land your bonus attack and it's still pitiful, while Duelist applies to everything. Blade Flourish ignoring TWF completely destroys the point of ever taking that option if you intend to use your archetype abilities, so what was the point?

Dual-wielding is trash and everyone knows it. Hell, RAW, you can't even attack with both of your weapons on the first round of combat since you can't draw and wield both of them WITHOUT A FUCKING FEAT, meaning you either blow an ASI on that, walk around with a dagger in your hand at all times, or get your DM to grow a fucking brain.
>>
>>53012121
Yeah, those ones are great. A perfect mix of flash and substance. I wish Monk, Sorcerer and Warlock had ones nearly as cool.
>>
>>53012003
Crawford is just fucking tired of imbeciles who think he's the first thing you consult instead of the book and just goes 'Look, read the fucking book and put some thought into it'
>>
So I picked the entertainer background for my Bard and misunderstood what it meant by a Trinket and thought I was meant to Roll in the Trinket table and I rolled vial of Dragon Blood (89 if you are wondering). Asked the DM and cleared it up but said if I can come up with a good story for it. Any ideas?
>>
>>53012193
>never answer a question
>wonder why the same question keeps getting asked
>>
So assuming the party is fighting one big bad monster, is a ghost barbarian essentially giving the entire party resistance?
>>
>>53012121
>>53012164
Might as well get Dual Wielder if you're going to go TWF and these guys cannot use a shield. So its actually
>3d8+15
vs
>2d8+14
But you are both correct about the class abilities part.
>>
>>53012197
It's an unusual medicine for a long-term condition the character has.
>>
>>53012218
I mean, give me some examples where he doesn't answer about some rules that aren't already properly defined and I might believe. He has probably fucked up somewhere.
>>
>>53012219
Yes, it's pretty fucking cool.
>>
>>53012220
It's 3d8+9 or +12 vs 2d8+12 or 14.
Averaging, that's 22-25 vs 21-23, with the latter having +1 AB and AC and the former having more chances to do damage.
>>
>>53012197
Family heirloom, from way back in the days of legend where your great-great-great-great-great grandpappy was a dragon slayer?

I dunno what setting you're in.
>>
>>53012220
Actually your level 6 extra attack requires you to Flourish. So Dual-Wielding's literally worse.
>>
>>53012181

I agree. Sorcerers and Warlocks are living leylines of either pure arcane might or unbridled demonic rage. At level 20 a commoner should be able to see the energy flowing off of them. A monk should have ki flowing around their movements and harnessing it without limit. At least for a short duration.
>>
>>53012339
Wow... you're not wrong, nvm it sucks there is no reason to TWF with those guys then.
>>
>>53012339
>tfw your DM will interpret all the Flourish actions to REQUIRE you to spend Bardic Inspiration
>if you're out of BI you literally can't use your second attack
>>
>Finally let an archetype use a weapon as a focus so it can have its hands full
>Don't give it shields and make TWF useless for it
Who else but Wizards?
>>
>>53012118
"Oh cool, I'm basically immortal now. That's nice but how does it help me do an extra d8 in combat?"
>>
>>53012374
I know, it fucking sucks duck and I'm rather sad. Still any nice DM will just let TWF work with it.

>>53012407
...Fucking really? I specifically says you "Can use one of these options". You don't have to.
>>
>>53012443
"Oh good I no longer need to eat. I mean I know we can literally conjure up some food but it's a little bland and I'm free from that now."
>>
>>53012441
I guess you can make a decent grappler bard with it?
>>
>>53012444
you can still choose any of the flourish options and decide not to spend an inspiration die. twf works with it just fine
>>
>>53012481
TWF requires you to take the attack action, Flourish is a special action that lets you make an attack. You can't use your class abilities, you don't get the +10 speed and you can't use your level 6 extra attack with it.

Read the section on Dual-Wielding if you don't believe me but even with the feat there is nothing it can do on the Bard.
>>
>>53012444
I was positing a game where the DM is an asshole who can't read.

But again, this should be an obvious point of possible confusion for some people and all it would have taken was an extra sentence there to clarify and swat down all questions.
>You can still Flourish and gain your second attack even if you are out of Bardic Inspiration.
Wow, very hard, now no one will ever have to put up with confusion at the table or consult Sage Advice.
>>
>>53012481
>TWF works with it just fine.
Okay if you want to get into semantics sure. RAW you can use the second attack granted by your Cunning Flourish to attack with your second weapon BUT because it's not a bonus action attack you don't need the two weapon fighter ability AT ALL for this attack so you deal damage as normal. AND you still cannot use your bonus action to attack because none of these attacks count as attack actions they count as special actions.
>>
What's the best build for a warlock if I just want to have some spooky fun?
>>
>>53012293
Forgotten Realms
>>
If someone wanted to make a dual whip wielder what would be the best class for it assuming no multiclass shenanigans.

I fully realize it's not remotely optimized but just trying to play around with some thematics.
>>
>>53012640
GOO for telepathy.

That's it, really.

I guess Raven Queen UA.
>>
>>53012698
rogues are the only class that even remotely wants to consider dual wielding, because the extra chance to get their sneak attack is actually valuable to them.
>>
File: indiana_jones_ish_whips.jpg (43KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
indiana_jones_ish_whips.jpg
43KB, 300x225px
>>53012698
Swashbuckler rogue probably. Any of the extra attack classes become nerfed extremely hard when you are rolling d4s as your weapon die.
>>
I have found out how to become the most powerful being in the history of dnd.

>start out as a bard
>shove highest stat in dexterity, you must max this out overtime.
>choose proficiency in sneak
>get to level 3, choose expertise in sneak
>get to level 4, choose 'stealthy' feat
>get to level 10, choose another expertise in sneak
>get 1 level in rogue, yet another expertise in sneak
>get to level 6 in rogue, yet another expertise in sneak
>you are always invisible. you have a +41 to Dexterity(sneak) checks. you can never be noticed, even if you roll a 1. DC 30 my ass.
>>
File: read the phb.jpg (65KB, 600x686px) Image search: [Google]
read the phb.jpg
65KB, 600x686px
>>53012787
None of those things stack.
>>
>>53012698
Kensai and just ask if you can swap your 1d4 unarmed punch for a 1d4 whip attack?

>>53012787
Expertise doesn't stack you double nigger. Seriously none of that's RAW and even with +41 you have to be heavily obscured or behind cover to hide.
>>
>>53012698
It will require a feat to be able to use two first of all
Rogue would be good if you can get the weapon training
Ranger can work, Revised ranger beast master would probably be best
>>
>>53012848
>Revised ranger beast master
Shame you can't take a pet Lion anymore.
>>
>>53012698
You should multiclass cause you are not going to do much damage as your only dealing a d4.

Swashbuckler/Battlemaster

>Get Dual Wielder
>Grab some fun combat maneuvers
>Sneak attack
>ect.

If you don't really care so much about that then just go battle master and slash people with a whip a lot I guess.
>>
>>53012845
Not if your a Wood Elf.
>>
>>53012872
You can always take panther and just reskin it
>>
>>53012928
Then you can hide in a bush or in rain. The bigger issue is the fact Expertise doesn't stack.

I'm actually playing a stealthy character in one game I'm in. A Gobiln Deepstalker with the Skulker feat. I can hide in any lightly or heavily obscured area even when people have darkvision as a bonus action.

Combine it with Hide in Plain Sight and Pass Without Trace and I haven't been targeted by an Attack Roll in a loooong time.
>>
>Exiled Elf Noble, Fighter, Eldritch Knight. Trying to think of something neat to do with the weapon bonds but no idea.
>Mute Human Soldier, Fighter, Battlemaster with glaive. Very technical fighter.
>Elf Outlander, Vanilla Archery Fighter. Never done it before, seems fun.
>Elf Barbarian Hermit, Feral and Crazy.
>Cleric with fire spells. Is there even a fire domain? Shoots fire out of a bullseye lantern.
Do any of these sound fun?
>>
>>53013017
Light Domain Cleric gets a bunch of fire spells and later gets bonuses to fire/radiant.
>>
>>53013017
>Exiled Elf Noble, Fighter, Eldritch Knight.
This can be very fun, if a little bland sometimes. I'd suggest an Eladrin.

>>Mute Human Soldier, Fighter, Battlemaster
Never play a mute, deaf or blind character. It's like rule 101 of character design.

>Elf Outlander, Vanilla Archery Fighter.
I highly recommend making him a real red-neck elf who's racist in the least generic elfy way possible.

>Elf Barbarian Hermit,
Half-Elf works better, pick up Elven Accuracy and be a Battlerager crit fisher.

>Cleric with fire spells.
Light Domain, it's a very fun and powerful laser Cleric.

5/6 are good, honestly pick any except mute and they're you're awesome.
>>
>>53013017
Also for that weapon bond thing, you could say that the weapon is a ancestral one, carried down through your family that holds the spirit of a great ancestor or something. When you get a new weapon, the sentience jumps to that one.
You nicked it when you were exiled.

Or something.
>>
Anyone here know how to add bookmarks to PDFs? Found this boatload of eberron books but it's 200+ pages each of unmarked books, and its really annoying to navigate.
>>
>>53013114
You can have a bonded weapon teleport into your hand, I wanted to do that with a throwing weapon. Throw it, Hit/Miss, Teleports back into hand. It sounded neat.
>>
How should I roleplay a Goliath Barbarian? I was planing to dump Charisma but have a 10-12 in Inteligence just to mix things up but I don't really know much about the race.

The other option is a Firbolg Monk.
>>
>>53013195
You only get one attack doing that, though. Pretty shit on the class that gets 4 attacks on their turn.
>>
>>53013292
>>53013195
He could refluff a whip as a throwing dagger teleporting back to his hand. Depends on the DM.
>>
>>53012640
Wizard.

>>53012698
Rogue. It'd basically be a 'I don't want to get the mobile feat so I attack from 10ft away' build, but eh. You'll also have to get whip proficiency from somewhere.
Overall it's mediocre but using dual whips on anyone else is just as if not more stupid.
>>
What are young dwarves like? I can't imagine a 20-30 year old dwarf being any different then a fully grown one.
>>
>>53012753
Dual wielding is also one of the only easy ways to get a bonus action attack when you're in melee and using finesse weapons, so a barbarogue, particularly strength-based ones may want it for the reason of doing more damage instead of simply getting an extra chance of sneak attack.
Though they could also do some real funky shit by holding both a quarterstaff and a rapier, using the rapier to attack, using the quarterstaff to attack, using PAM's bonus a- No, they have ot make all attacks with the quarterstaff unless you can pull a 'well technically I attacked once and only once with my quarterstaff so I can make the bonus action because you can take the bonus action at any point and now because nothing says I can't use the rest of my action after taking that bonus action to attack with a rapier I'm going to attack with my rapier'
>>
>>53013283
If you're looking for switching things up, the Firbolg monk is a bigger mixup in my opinion.
>>
>>53013387
They attend party all day, every day. Except for stupid shit like hauling stuff around. They also have the worst fey moods.
Dwarf women will often bring babies into battle with them. They make good projectiles.
Dwarf children look reddish.
>>
>>53011407
>My main issue is that not every fighter needs to have a pool of "Not!magic special attacks".
That was the original intent during the playtest until enough 3aboos cried for it to be removed. And a lot of the maneuvers are stuff any character can do anyways, they just do it along with their attack
>>
File: DungeonMasterJeffEasley.jpg (223KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
DungeonMasterJeffEasley.jpg
223KB, 512x384px
>>53008919
>http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck
You ever play D&D on Fantasy Grounds?
>>
Is there anything particularly overpowered, broken, or otherwise strange in interactions from letting the party Monk attune to a Sun Blade and use it as a monk weapon?

It's typed as a longsword, but you can use it if you have proficiency in shortswords, which Monk does get as a monk weapon, even though a Sun Blade is technically a longsword.
>>
>>53011339
>fighter
>great core features
>>
>>53011877
>/tg/ still defends Crawford over rule of cool Mearls
>>
>>53013857
>overpowered
>Monk
It'll be fine.
It's no different than giving the Monk any other magic weapon of that kind.
>>
>>53011237
>kensei can still take Sharpshooter and get a -5/+10 that works with their features
>but if you want to take GWM and do it in melee you're not allowed
lol
>>
>>53011407
Arcane shot is 2/short rest, why does the "all day erryday" fighter bullshit leak into this?
>>
>>53013857
>Sword requires 1 of 2 things
>Monk has one of these things
What's the issue?
The only weird interaction the sunblade has with any class is a rogue, because they can two hand it, and take a level in fighter for the two handed weapon style, then reroll 1's and 2's on sneak attacks
>>
>>53013888
Fighters are matched with warlocks at consistently hitting shit hard. The main issue is that they're bland and suck outside of combat
>>
>>53013888
What core features are better than second wind and indomitable?
>>
Any good or decent guide to homebrewing? I think there were a few official ones by Wizards.
>>
>>53014005
Besides spellcasting, but that is obvious
>>
>>53014005
Action Surge, which is also from Fighter.
>>
>>53013979
Because the +1 Arrows are already really fucking good. The Arcane Shot is something you should be using once per combat or second if you follow the recommended amount of rests.

It's fine for classes to have resources but not everyone has to. Making BM dice a core feature is not a great idea when people who want stuff like that can already chose options for it, but Fighter and Rogue are the only two without core resources.

>>53014005
Aura of Protection would be up there, same as Reckless Attack. Action Surge is probably the single best once per rest ability though.
>>
>>53014044
I was thinking action surge, not second wind.
>>
>>53014029
There's stuff in the DMG. The Assman race in it is used as a guide
>>
Why was kensei changed?
>>
>>53013928
A ranged kensei is giving up its ability to flurry and/or stunning strike for the ability to do extra damage.

Ranged Kensei with Longbow (20 Dex and Sharpshooter):
2d8 + 2d4 + 30 = 44 Avg.

Melee Kensei with Versatile Longsword (20 Dex and flurry):
2d10 + 2d4 + 20 = 36 Avg.

Keep in mind that melee kensei has a higher chance to hit as well as higher AC. If you let a kensei use great weapons, not only would they out damage ranged option, but they'd be able to attempt a stun on each of their hits.
>>
>>53014005
Why does everyone forget about Indomitable when theory crafting? It's possibly Fighters best defence at higher level to save or sucks and no one ever factors it in.
>>
>>53014005
>>53014031
out of the 14 base classes (including artificer and mystic), only 4 dont have spellcasting. if comparing fighter features to spellcasting is unreasonable, than youre really saying fighters have shit class features
>>
>>53014068
Yes, so give all the features exactly the same amway except for arcane shot.

Start arcane shot at 1d6, then give extra maneuvers (arcane shots), broaden the Battlemaster and Arcane Archer's options, and simply limit the dice increase to 1d6 -> 2d6 instead of growing in for size.

That way you grow the modular choices for fighter (like EK receives when spells are introduced) to make the system something beyond a shitty one-off. Same goes for Cavalier and Scout and Monster Hunter (or whatever it was).
>>
File: Joshua.jpg (256KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Joshua.jpg
256KB, 1280x1024px
Would Joshua Graham be a good Paladin? If so, what class?
>>
>>53014107
Comparing spellcasting to anything is retarded. Spellcasting is easily the best feature in D&D across all editions, and is kept there by the worst of its fan base while others simply are fine with spells being objectively the best class feature given to classes.
>>
Alright just out of curiosity if I was a rogue/pally with Great Weapon Fighter with a sun blade can I reroll my sneak attack dice? I know I can't reroll Divine Smite dice but what about Sneak Attack?
>>
>>53014147
Definitely Vengeance. Joshua Graham doesn't take anyone's shit.
>>
>>53014147
Vengeance
>>
>>53014175
Why can't you smite?
>>
>>53014175
Well you can't sneak attack with any Two-Handed weapons. So no.
>>
>>53014195
The Sun Blade is a finessable longsword, two handedness does not matter for Sneak attack.
>>53014193
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-april-2016
>>
do you have nicknames for your partymembers, /5eg/
>>
>>53014005
>>53014095
Indomitable is just a weaker version of lucky that takes the place of three seperate level up features.
>>
>>53014221
Well the GWF only applies for the weapon damage anyway. When people have problems they really need to just check Sageadvice.
>>
>>53014107
Why would you count playtest material? That leaves 1/3. Paladins/rangers are half casters, out of which paladins are too busy smiting to function as actual casters and even revised rangers are kind of iffy. Warlock design doesn't make them very effective at anything but EB spam

Then you have Druids, Clerics, Wizards and Sorcerers to compare to, being reasonable. And wizard takes one big old shit on all of them for casting
>>
>>53014221
I misread your question.

No you cannot reroll the d6s, it's bonus damage and not the weapon damage.
>>
>>53014260
This is a pretty specific one, that no one has had an answer to. Just wondering if anyone knew.
>>
>>53014234
And yet you can use lucky and indomitable at the same time and fighters get more ASIs than anyone else.
>>
Do you let player hold religious title even though they do not have level in related class?
>>
>>53014278
Ah thank you anon, so it does count as extra damage got it.
>>
>>53014290
Sneak Attack is bonus damage. It has been stated that GWF only works for the damage dice of the weapon, sneak attack is not damage dice of the weapon.
>>
>>53014294
That's entirely true, but it's also the fact you can just get lucky and not really need indomitable unless you're forced to make a lot of saves in one day.
Which is a possibility.

Though, fighter relies very heavily on weapon feats and stat-ups to deal damage. SS+CBE + 20dex or GWM+PAM+20Str. By the time you've gotten all that, your next free ASI is at level 12, much like a caster who used their first two ASIs to get their casting stat to max.
>>
>>53014295
D&D kind of blows for mechanically reflecting evolving characters. Not everyone in the clergy is a cleric or paladin, but every consequential way of showing your character is deeply religious outside of a class involves feats or a background.
>>
>>53008919
>Sharpshooter AKA my favorite Fighter was voted lowest

Fine, I'll keep my twice per day 275 damage burst to myself.
>>
>>53014380
I think if you're prepared to work with players for custom feats and to give them extra feats, you can fill this gap quite easily.

>>53014295
I don't see why not, unless it's really heavily stuck into the setting that all religious people use holy magic and that's what defines you as a holy guy, and even then you could just get magic initiate.
>>
>>53009071

Think the Bard one is my favorite, even if it's always going to be worse than College of Lore.
>>
Has 5etools been updated witht he new UA info?
>>
what do you guys think of d&d beyond, it should be pretty useful
>>
Is new kensei better than old kensei? My DM will let me pick one or the other, but I need to know by level 3.
>>
>>53013387
Humans develop slowly because they need to be born early to get our relatively huge heads and brains out without mothers needing hips so wide they can't walk. So human babies come out helpless compared to non-nesting animals, such as horses and giraffes and such being able to walk hours after being born. Human body and brain development happens into the early twenties, social development is considered done in the late teens in a lot of places.
So- dwarves and elves aren't considered adults until they're what, in their fifties? Eighties? I don't have the book open. Is it because of physical development? Probably not, elves maybe are smarter on average than humans but not enough to necessitate any kind of development that's slower than humans. Dwarves are so stocky and broad that they probably drop babies that are capable of crawling. That leaves social development.
it could be that dwarf and elf cultures are so in depth and nuanced that it takes much longer to learn how to properly be an adult- maybe getting a PhD in architecture is the equivalent of getting a drivers license in modern human society. Or it could be something else, maybe dwarves are expected to start working and having families at the same time humans do, but that doesn't mean you're an adult- maybe you're only really a Dwarven adult once you've become a grandparent. Maybe you only leave home once you've got thirty years of salary saved up to get a nice hand-carved apartment off the main minehall. Hell, maybe learning how to mine, smith, and craft and create your own weapons and armor is your coming-of-age celebration after which you're expected to go adventuring at fifty years old and come back with treasure for your clan.
>>
>>53014677
Well, people are talking about how you can't use Greatswords anymore but you can still use Bows for Sharpshooter.

If you want to use GWM with the new one your only option is Greatclub...

I'd go new one, take Longbow and either Longsword, Lance or Greatclub for your weapons. If you want mostly melee take GWM and for ranged Sharpshooter.
>>
>>53014734
Does the lack of a greatsword really gimp damage that much? Can a longsword not compete at all?
>>
>>53012698

Probably Rogue or Fighter.

I want to go Tempest Cleric with spell sniper and Booming Blade. Seems very thematic.
>>
>>53014677
Old kensei is stronger, but not better in terms of design.
>>
>>53014910
Not really gimped just not as good, the loss is the +20 damage and cleave from GWM. Basically Kensai with SS/GWM becomes the king of sustained damage with the +3 Weapon and bonus action unarmed attack.

If you go Longsword you'll be fine though. Just hold it in two hands and go to town slicing bitches up. You'll be doing more damage then a normal monk no matter what.

You could also look at the Sword Mastery or Spear Mastery feats. Both give +1 Attack and some other boosts that are pretty helpful.
>>
>>53014495
Any word on this? There aren't differentiated options
>>
>absorb elements can't be used with ranged weapons

For what purpose?
>>
>>53014295
I don't see why not?
You can totally belong to a church or temple and not be a cleric.
>>
>>53015175
To give melee Rangers something the archers don't have?
>>
My DM is under the impression that if a character has multiattack he can use a spell twice if it's a melee attack spell. Is he correct?
>>
>>53015197
Still seems kinda silly. I mean, it only works with one attack anyway and requires you to expend a spell.
>>
>>53015207
No he would be incorrect.
Although there is something kinda wonky with the way the spell magic stone works, if that's what you're talking about.
>>
>>53015207
No
Casting a spell is not making an attack action.
>>
>>53014991
What from the new kensei is worth giving up the ability to use GWM?
>>
>>53015239
>>53015247
He's using an NPC who is using Inflict Wounds, and he thinks that because the character has multi attack, he can use the spell twicd, once with both hands.
>>
>>53015207
No, no fuck no. That's broken as shit.

Cantrips and spells are meant to be doing worse single target damage then weapons and that makes them much better because Cantrips naturally scale with level.

>>53015228
Yeah I kind of agree. It is what it is though.

>>53015239
As far as I can tell at this point it's like Ammunition that just changes your damage and attack modifier if you use a sling... or something. All I know is you can apparently Sneak Attack with it.
>>
>>53015277
Ask him if he can find any rules to directly support that. He won't be able to.

Though if it's an NPC then he can really make him follow whatever rules he wants.
>>
>>53015277
npcs do not need to, and should not, follow the sames rules as pcs
>>
>>53015277
Players can't do it, no. NPCs don't have to follow the same rules but if he's trying to follow the same rules as players then his NPC cannot cast Inflict Wounds twice, because casting a spell is not taking the Attack action, they're two separate and distinct actions that follow their own sets of rules.
>>
>>53015391
>>
>>53014232
People call my character Camilla "Cam"

I call most of my party members "asshole"

they bully me
>>
Anyone have that mega link to Yawning Portal PDF as well the roll20 tokens for it? I can't seem to find it on the MEGA links
>>
>>53011111
Czeched
>>
>>53012371
I like Monk Capstone as +2 to all your stats, and your new maximums are 22. Keep the Ki thing unchanged, then
>>
>>53012056
>Implying 4e is mindless
Are you on crack?
>>
>>53016659
I have to wonder if any editions have been that. I'm least familiar with the earlier ones.
>>
>>53015271
The ki smite is alright for crits. Martial arts when you don't wanna spend ki. Not having to get into a huge argument about holding versus wielding and switching hands while you fight every time you try to use your class features is the biggest buff.
>>
Can Ki be expended while raging? I'm wondering if I should take some levels as a Kensei Monk
>>
>>53009071
>Blade bard

Stil a shit archetype.
>>
>>53012028
They allready have short rests.

What they need is Feat support.
>>
>>53012698
Kensai cause you get the nice damage boosts + 1d10 whips.
Go full Indiana Jones with it.
>>
>>53017568
>1d10 whips

oh my
Thread posts: 386
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.