[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MtG $$$$$$ COMPETITIVE $$$$$$ MODERN GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 32

File: kithkin_tribal.jpg (84KB, 620x403px) Image search: [Google]
kithkin_tribal.jpg
84KB, 620x403px
> ctrl+f no thread

Magic: The Gathering Modern General (Competitive Discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Metagame thoughts?

Decklists:
>https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
> http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO

Primers:
> http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Weekly Modern Metagame:
>https://www.mainphasemtg.net/gamingcontentblog/2017/4/24/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-42417
>>
File: kithkin general.png (873KB, 1024x436px) Image search: [Google]
kithkin general.png
873KB, 1024x436px
>>52994630
Here's a proper Kithkin OP image for future use.
>>
File: Dying Shadow Aggro.jpg (227KB, 834x658px) Image search: [Google]
Dying Shadow Aggro.jpg
227KB, 834x658px
>>52994630
>>Metagame thoughts?
It's ok. I hope they unban preordain and ban past in flames though.
>>
File: enigma drake.jpg (60KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
enigma drake.jpg
60KB, 312x445px
>>52994630
>Playing?
I've been playing a lot of G/B Tron lately, it's just been very solid for my local meta. I'm also in the process of updating my Bantdrazi list.
>Brewing?
A memey U/R Delver deck with pic related. It's been pretty fun to play in testing.
>Metagame thoughts?
I'm pretty satisfied with the current meta, there are a lot of viable decks at the moment. I'm eager to see if 9chad makes it in the format competitively.
>>
What's the best deck for someone new to competitive magic? They said they'll spend up to $1k but not a penny over. I was thinking of recommending affinity but then I thought if he just gets hosed out of his first few games he might get discouraged.
>>
>>52995011
Burn. It'll run your friend about $650-$700 but it's easy as pie and will always be a solid deck.
>>
>>52994874

How does green black tron work? I remember the switch from green red to green white made sense because of the sideboard options, I'm curious as to what green black is all about
>>
>>52995384
Collective Brutality to make Burn winnable G1.
>>
>>52995384
Pretty much this >>52995397 also, discard + surgicals is solid against most combo decks.
>>
>>52995452
>>52995397

Makes sense, hand disruption IS modern at this point, idk what would make somebody want to play without black
>>
>>52995491
>playing 1 for 1's that aren't removal
laughingdrawgoplayer.jpg
>>
File: 1491646777318.jpg (393KB, 950x720px) Image search: [Google]
1491646777318.jpg
393KB, 950x720px
>>52995665
>draw-go
I thought tron kept you fags out of the format?
>>
>>52994874
Can you provide a list for the drake deck?
>>
>>52995011
Second for burn
>>
no one answered my question in the last thread--whats the best way to order a full modern deck? just search for lowest prices NM condition on tcgplayer?
>>
Just recently tried this deck UG tron with the new nissa

// 60 Maindeck
// 15 Artifact
3 Oblivion Stone
4 Expedition Map
4 Chromatic Star
3 Chromatic Sphere
1 Mindslaver

// 5 Creature
3 Wurmcoil Engine
2 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

// 4 Enchantment
4 Oath of Nissa

// 21 Land
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Tower
2 Forest
1 Academy Ruins
4 Yavimaya Coast
2 Island

// 8 Planeswalker
2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
3 Karn Liberated
3 Nissa, Steward of Elements

// 7 Sorcery
3 Sylvan Scrying
4 Ancient Stirrings

// 15 Sideboard
// 3 Artifact
SB: 3 Relic of Progenitus

// 4 Creature
SB: 2 Thragtusk
SB: 2 World Breaker

// 8 Instant
SB: 2 Warping Wail
SB: 2 Nature's Claim
SB: 2 Repeal
SB: 2 Aetherize
>>
>>52995890
And? How was Nissa?
>>
>>52995793
Yea pretty much. Or Amazon.
>>
File: enigma delver.png (18KB, 642x257px) Image search: [Google]
enigma delver.png
18KB, 642x257px
>>52995751
Here you go my dude. It could probably use a lot of tuning (and input from people who actually play delver) but this is what I have so far.
>>
>>52995011
Bant Eldrazi.
Relative to burn, there's a bit more going on-board, but it's still pretty simple.
>>
>>52995793
Order from an online retailer of your choice that has the cards and editions you want.

Personally I order from Cardkingdom instead of tcgplayer or stuff like that since I've had bad experiences and the customer service is great.
>>
>>52995896
played like 10 games so far, its pretty good finisher, early oath in play and on turn 3 you play her for x of 5, uptick and next turn swing for 10
>>
>>52995945
i live in the us, isn't cardkingdom eu only? if so is the shipping expensive?
>>
>>52995954
CardKingdom is based in Seattle.
>>
>>52995983
thanks, ill check out both
tcgplayer has a 3% kickback which seems cool (i was planning on ordering this tomorrow)
what sort of problems have you had with them?
>>
Thinking of running one Ghost Quarter and 3 Surgicals in the SB of DSJ to fight Tron. You can search up Quarter with Deliriumed Traverse. Its my only hope to beat them desu I hate that fucking deck but I gotta find some way to beat them. I guess Gaddock Teeg can help too.
>>
>someone selling a deck on Ebay
>costs more than just buying all the singles off TCGplayer
Why do people do this? Are they trying to catch retards?
>>
I realize that Naya Zoo isn't really viable in competive Modern anymore, but what's an ideal land base?
19 lands
2 Stomping Ground
2 Temple Garden
2 Sacred Foundry
1 Mountain
1 Forest
1 Plains
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Windswept Heath
4 Arid Mesa
>>
If there was an MTG anime akin to yu-gi-oh, what deck would the main character play?
>>
>>52996635
GW midrange
>>
>>52996635
Wasn't there a fanmade manga or something and the guy played Twin? I vividly remember a page of him summoning a Vendilion Clique against a Tron player, a commentator said he chose poorly, then the tron player assembled tron and cast a wurmcoil engine which said SCREEEEEEE
>>
>>52996767
wizard's soul?
>>
File: 11.jpg (374KB, 800x1132px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
374KB, 800x1132px
>>52996635
Caw-Blade
>>
>>52997043
Source ? Reverse image search give nothing
>>
>>52997109
Unfortunately it never got past 3 chapters translated

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/if_the_light_music_club_played_magic_the_gathering
>>
>>52995011
Probably burn. Easy to play, very consistent in gameplay and can't ever be outright banned away.

It can also get boring really fast, but it has it's own niche things that keeps things interesting.
>>
>>52997351
If you take away eidolon,goblin guide and lightning bolt the deck is trash. You could easily weaken it with a ban.
>>
>>52997122
Aww what a cute story uwu
>>
>>52997648
None of those cards will ever get banned though
>>
>>52997648
Yeah but WotC will never ban those cards
>>
>>52997020
No that wasn't it.
>the worse off the mom got the stronger with cards she was
>little daughter trying to prove her wrong and beat her with all her might
Fucking Christ.
>>
What are some good -any color- cards to go with a white life gain deck?
Because I can gain a lot of life but cannot actually win the game
>>
File: death star.jpg (63KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
death star.jpg
63KB, 312x445px
>>52998294
>Because I can gain a lot of life but cannot actually win the game
Play pic related. Do it for the memes.
>>
>>52996209
I've been doing this with 2 surgicals for the last couple weeks. It can be helpful, but GQ doesnt come in against any other matchup
>>
>>52995011
The GR Valakut decks with/without Scapeshift and with/without Through the Breach are very competitive, quite customizable, easy to learn, and hard to master. Pretty much all of them don't hit the $1k mark
>>
>>52997774
>>52997774
>>52997777
I love people like you guys. I remember people saying the same about Bloodbraid, pod and twin. Never say never especially with goons like Aron Forsythe in charge.
>>
>>52997351
I've personally got sick of Modern Burn because it shoves you into way too many unwinnable situations. Which is specially infuriating after playing Legacy Burn for over 12 years and doing straight up legendary shit like beating Reanimator with Iona in play, getting Jace Ultimated and still beating Stoneblade at 1 life after after dealing 36 damage in a single match, winning through double Chill against Shardless, and consistently beating Miracles with quirky sequencing.

Legacy Burn is Rocky Balboa, Modern Burn is Kimbo Slice...
>>
>>52995890
>shaving slots off the engine to run more lands than necessary and a shit walker you can't reliably cast instead of 4 Karn 4 Wurmcoil and spot removal to not just die
Mindslaver is decent inevitability and disruption vs combo, I'll grant you that.
>>
Brewing//playing

Bug Loam Pox, because repeatable tectonic edging and ghost quartering people is "Fun."
>>
Is there any deck that can't be sodomized by a single sideboard card?
This shit's getting ridiculous, tournaments are being won not by the best players, but by the guy who dodged hate all day.
>>
>>52999499
I agree with you m8, part of the reason i stopped playing modern burn. The other reasons are because i didnt like how often it rewarded stupid greedy plays and also because I'm a midrange player at heart. But i have to argue that Modern burn is better in its respective format. Modern burn has been tier 1 for the past few years and puts up a lot of results while legacy burn has arguably never been tier 1 and finds itself outclassed by other decks very often.
>>
>>52999568
That's the point behind my fighters allegory.
Modern Burn is "professional". Allegedly good, popular and connected enough to keep showing up on stream even if it's an embarassment of a show 9/10.
Legacy Burn is a nobody that gets to trade punches with the best and look like a champ when he finally beats them.

Besides, it's worst match just got banned out of the format.

I guess my point is Modern Burn is so mediocre and inconsistent it wouldn't be above 1.5 if it hand't been under $200 to build for half a decade when the format was new. It's a padded statistic, rather than a championship deck in it's own merit. And I'm walking out on it.
>>
>>52999556
I disagree, but there are a couple decks right now that involve narrow strategies that fold to certain hate cards. Burn<Lifegain, Affinity<Artifact hate, Tron<land hate(sometimes), Dredge<Grave hate. But most of the other decks dont have silver bullets yo be afraid of, and either way smart play and correct mulligans are a massive part of the current metagame. I think your perception is just getting hazed by recent tournament results.

For example; i beat Eldrazi Tron with DSJ through chalice on 1 AND 2 ratchet bombs. Tight play and patience are key desu.
>>
>>52999672
Wasnt miracles a decent/hood matchup thats what everyone else says? Also the deck is still consistent just not as consistent, plus it is a relevant threat in the format when considering sideboarding and what not. In Legacy burn loses to other decks being better than it, in modern you lose to getting hated out/take off your gameplay. So its more feel bad. Also its actually a good tier 1 deck in modern, it isnt all just padded.
>>
>>52998323
that seems pretty good
now why it is priced 0,50 Eur? It is shit for some reason that I cannot see?
>>
>>52999820
4 is too much for modern
not enough support for it in standard
>>
>>52994630
>Shell out significant cash for tiny semi-professional fantasy art pics on low grade cardboard
>read online to find the list of optimal decks as discerned by professional autists
>"play" these decks against other "optimal" decks.

I cannot imagine why people waste time with this "game". Force of habit combined with Apathy plus there's no roleplaying so you can have Maximum Autismo?

People accuse GWS of being money-grubbers, but MtG is a full-blown ponzi scheme.
>>
>>52999879
didn't you see all the $ signs in the OP? You're not welcome here poorfag
>>
>>52999556
anything running the 8x discard package
>>
>>52995715

Autists are unable to change their ways. Keep in mind this. No matter how many times they will go 0-3-2 they will keep playing their deck.
>>
>>52999672
I think modern burn is just consistent. Sure, it lives by top decking into last few damage and currently gets hosed by collected brutality.... It is still most solid way to hit damage to face every turn, unless you get manaflooded or you can't deal with leyline or such. Compare that to combo decks that cripple themselves every so often.
>>
>>52999556
Anything that isn't Burn/Balls to the wall Aggro/Tron/Affinity/GYshit. Play goodstuff or midrange and you will pretty much never get hated out of the game.
>>
>>52999556
Melira and most CoCo/creature toolbox variants.
>>
>>52999676
>i beat Eldrazi Tron with DSJ through chalice on 1 AND 2 ratchet bombs. Tight play and patience are key desu.
More like by drawing a very specific sequence of cards versus a player that draws like shit.
>>
>>53000379
>Play goodstuff or midrange and you will pretty much never get hated out of the game.
What is Tron, Blood Moon or a combo deck that has Leyline of Sanctity.
>>
>>52999556
>tfw you play dredge and not a single opponent draws their graveyard hate all night
Fuck Modern, but I'm glad every time that happens.
>>
>>53000602
If you don't like playing the game as it currently is, then why are you here? Go outside and do something else.
>>
>>53000621
Oh no it's the Wizard's Defence Force emissary from Reddit. Quickly, no one say anything mean about Magic or suggest it isn't as good as it once was.
>>
>>53000621
I didn't even hint at my evaluative attitudes towards the game, I just don't like outright lying. BGx midrange is the least capable deck in the entire game of winning via "tight play", moreso vs deck that's basically a hard counter against it.
>>
>>53000658
But you're not being entirely truthful, either. Midrange decks have to know their matchups, i.e. where they need to be on the aggro-control spectrum or they will lose. Is that not counted as "tight play"?
>>
>>53000695
No, because the average bgx list curves out pretty well so you spend the first 3-4 turns tapping out for whatever is the best, most expensive card in your hand for the current situation (hint: turn 1 it's always your discard or tarfire if you have nothing else, turn 2 it's tarmogoyf, turn 3 it's liliana or discard+2drop), after which you should be basically hellbent and you keep slamming the top card of your library down after combat, unless it's an answer like Abrupt Decay. The card draw nor selection just isn't there (compared to say Aggro Loam or Delver in Legacy) for you have multiple "correct" lines at any time t. If you're playing vs Storm that cast a discount dude on turn 2 and you have a choice between Terminate and Tarmogoyf, of course you pick the former but that's just not being retarded, not tight play in any relevant sense.
>>
>>52995715
I do pretty well against Tron with Esper actually.

I think the only MUs that are hard for control no matter what SB configuration you have are the disruptive tribal decks. Stuff like UB Faeries or Bant Spirits that go wide but are also resilient to Wraths.
>>
File: Image.jpg (28KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
28KB, 223x310px
M/W foxes here

can I get some help/tips?

ty

https://manastack.com/deck/kitsune-md
>>
>>53001673
>MtG $$$$$$ COMPETITIVE $$$$$$ MODERN GENERAL
>>
>>52995011
>>52998417

Seconding this. Also slamming mountains and getting those valakut triggers feels amazing
>>
>>53001717
come on I have no other place to post it
>>
>>53002031

make a kitchen table thread, people are usually up for it

or just try in the edh general
>>
So i'm starting to play again every now and then and am in serious need of cards/decks that don't suck
All I really have is a deckbuilder's toolkit from late 2012 and as a result have a set of decks with no real synergy and that just suck in general
What would be the best choice for just getting some decks/cards that aren't just a mix of random shit just for casual play? The cheaper the better given i'm just playing casually with friends
>>
File: 1487308144066.jpg (35KB, 482x309px) Image search: [Google]
1487308144066.jpg
35KB, 482x309px
>>53002416

Look, this is not the thread you're looking for

That being said, if you don't really care about powerlevel and just want cards to dick around in kitchen table get duel decks or buy planechase anthology with 2-3 friends and keep one deck each

There's supposedly an Archenemy set coming this year, that should also work

If you're not convinced, just do chinaman kitchen table and play whichever decks you want. I do, and it's good practice for FNM. Seeing how the top decks in the format works is a good learning experience
>>
>>53002484
sorry friend didn't know, what's the proper thread to ask in
>>
>>53002528

There's not really an appropiate one, honestly

I think we should have a kitchen table or just a MTG general for these kinds of questions, but I'm too lazy to make it
>>
>>53002528
Just create kitchen table general or something. Most important thing about kitchen table is that decks are about same powerlevel. Which doesn't really work outside friend circles, hence formats. Pauper is cheap and well contained format.
>>
>>52995665
>draw go
This is a competitive thread you fucking inbred
>>
>>53002561
is Pauper a good/fun format? I've heard good things but never played it myself
>>
>>52996635
5 colour super friends
>>
>>53002609
It's alright. At least it has proper rules compared to kitchen table and isn't expensive.
>>
>>52999299
You're a grade A retard if you can't tell the difference between those cards and burn cards
>>
>>52999879
I'm sorry you're so unfulfilled with your hobby you had to come here and shitpost. Good luck with your future
>>
>>53002031
Then don't fucking post it.
>hey guys I know this thread is for trains but just lemme post some boats
>>
File: 232535.png (216KB, 876x924px) Image search: [Google]
232535.png
216KB, 876x924px
>Storm and Dredge tier 1

fun and interactive
>>
>>53003570
>Storm, Dredge tier 1 Valakut tier 2
>UW control getting more viable as counterspells are more relevant

Now only if we had the actual fucking counterspell though.
>>
>>53002609
>>53002561
>>53002081

kitchen table general created

>>53003623
>>
>>53003570
Elves and knightfall at a healthy upper-middle t2
Liking it. I'm glad Knightfall is seeing more play
>>
>>53003570
Thank God this format has some real Magic to fight the brain-dead aggroshitters.
>>
>have a conversation with friends about modern bans like 3 years ago
>"Man if they ban pod and twin tron will just be all over"
>today

It's like you could see it coming or something.
>>
>>53003570
Storm is a fun and interactive match for me tho
t. Temur delver player
>>
>>53003720
but Gx Tron is tier 2 and Eldrazi Tron was inevitable with the amount of colourles creatures in modern
>>
>>53003750
Yeah I have nothing against it, but sadly because of decks like that Preordain or Ponder will never be unbanned and Delver strategies will be forever tier 3.
>>
>>53003750
My nigga. This meta is shaping up very nicely for us
>>
>>53002609
It's Legacy Lite.
Commons-only slows the game down, but asides from that there's minimal reduction in power.

T6 pauper is still just as crazy as T3 legacy
>>
>>53004425
That's exaggerated, its power level is still lower than Modern, I wouldn't call that Legacy lite especially considering that combo is almost entirely missing and that plays a big role in Legacy.
>>
File: Mardu Burn.png (2MB, 1073x953px) Image search: [Google]
Mardu Burn.png
2MB, 1073x953px
>Playing
Mardu Burn, best burn.

>Brewing
Not much, still thinking if any Ahmonkhet cards can slot into G/R Pummeler

>Hating
Leyline Of Sanctity & hand disruption
>>
>>53004425
Which makes it the best format.
>>
>>53003570
>Grixis Delver continues to drop

Uh oh
>>
>>53004471
Combo was all the rage in pauper before they banned every single one.
>>
>>53003570
>knightfall mid tier 2
WE DEM BOIS
>>
So I have vials, Thalias, voices and thought knots. Which DnT build should I make. Eldrazi? G/w? U/w?
>>
>>52999879
>here's no roleplaying
Clearly you have never played Burn before
>>
>>53005732
GW has some dank flickerwisp LD plays with Rallier. Triple strip mine dream
>>
>>53005793
Is there anything more satisfying than strip mining someone out of the game?

I was told at GP's if your opponent searches their library without paying for arbiter it's a game loss. Is that correct?
>>
>>53004471
>its power level is still lower than Modern,
Nigger pauper has fireblast
If Fireblast was modern legal the format would be literally just burn.
>>
>>53004647
>Mardu Burn, best burn.
This is objectively false, get you filthy fucking black shit out of Burn. Red White Pride world wide.
>>
>>53003570
Funny thing is, Dredge does interact in Modern, especially vs faster decks. I've cast more Darkblasts and Conflagrates than Galvanic Blasts aimed at creatures ever.
>>
>>53006674
Me too
But it's probably because I never played robots
>>
>>53006870
Good thing I have, Affinity for about a year, Dredge for a month.
>>
>>53005909
That doesn't mean much, Pauper Burn is still much worse than the Modern version mainly because of the lack of good creatures.
>>
File: deprive-cropped.jpg (117KB, 464x664px) Image search: [Google]
deprive-cropped.jpg
117KB, 464x664px
Thoughts on pic related in U/R delver? I think 1 or 2 might be good.
>>
>>53007892
I like it as a 1-of in U/R Delver. Takes a lot of people by surprise.
>>
>>53007892
>>53008147
>relying on singletons

Why though.
>>
>>53008160
It's less relying on them and more of having them as a fun-of.
>>
File: Dfdddddd.jpg (32KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dfdddddd.jpg
32KB, 400x400px
>>53008147
>>53008160
I was thinking of having them as a hard counterspell if the opponent gets enough lands on the board to make manaleak/remands obsolete
>>
>>53008207
As a substitute for cryptic as im poor.
>>
>>53007892
I'm happy to have it as a 3-of in temur
Take that as you want
>>
>>53008341
What posible temur list could you play that makes use of small mana?
>>
>>53008387
Delver ofc
>>
File: spice.jpg (4MB, 5984x3366px) Image search: [Google]
spice.jpg
4MB, 5984x3366px
>>53008341
>running this in temur delver
poor form desu
>>
>>53003570
rip grixis delver
>>
>infect not even tier 3
Damn. Was Git Probe really that important?
>>
>>53009161
It was a free cantrip that let you see if your opponent had any answers. It was pivotal to the decks success.
>>
How would a deck based around Consulate Dreadnought/Aethersphere Harvester/ Peacewalker Colossus with Siege/Aerial modification stand up in the meta? Potential swings for 9/10 by round three or four.
>>
>>53008597
I don't play traverse anymore and swiched back to shoal so I needed more blue cards
Also, past turn 3 it's usualy better than leak because we have at least a basic we can return without loosing life
>>
>>53009374
>Potential swings for 9/10 by round three or four.
That's cute. Are you sure you're in the right thread? I think you might be looking for the Standard general.
>>
>>53009374
You still get hosed by Stony Silence. At best, one of those might find itself in an Affinity build, but the odds are horrible.

Arcbound ravager is just too pure.
>>
>>53009446
The ravages is good sure, but the siege/ aerial modifications would bypass the stony silence would it not? And just make the vehicles creatures with some counters on them before you can use aura blast/aura of silence?
>>
File: 1384433313989.png (29KB, 300x162px) Image search: [Google]
1384433313989.png
29KB, 300x162px
>>53009374
Oh no 2 card combos that result in a 9/10, how will the meta ever recover?

Back to the kitchentable and EDH, kid
>>
>>53009594
One of those is five mana dude.

I'm not saying it won't work kitchen table, but this is still the $$$$$$ COMPETITIVE $$$$$$ modern general.

I can't advocate for something primarily built out of a single Standard rotation. Otherwise I'd be bringing my Warriors tribal to FNM.
>>
>>53009628
What do you get out of being arrogant and snarky? Does it make you feel better about your shitty life? Take a long good look in the mirror and then consider whether your family isn't better off if you swallowed some pills with a few shots of vodka
>>
File: 194764023809.png (326KB, 630x824px) Image search: [Google]
194764023809.png
326KB, 630x824px
>>53009713
Jesus christ I didn't expect you to get so buttmad because someone pointed out your clear inexperience and/or retardation on an anonymous Croatian sausage stuffing mailing list.

How will your butt ever recover? Maybe one day you will learn not to take words on the screen so seriously or just not talk about things you clearly know nothing about, maybe said day will come after turn 18.
>>
>>53009803
Not buttmad. Just pointing out myself that you're a sad little being that doesn't know how to communicate without needing to resort to such things.
>>
File: 13352160452.jpg (50KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
13352160452.jpg
50KB, 1920x1080px
>>53009831
>Not buttmad
Clearly.
>>
>>53009831
>not buttmad
you are clearly asshurt someone pointed out your gay kitchen table combo wouldn't work in a real game of modern.

Pro tip: the thread is MtG $$$$$$ COMPETITIVE $$$$$$ MODERN GENERAL not 17 card combos for no payoff.
>>
So how about those competitive decks huh? Sure are all figured out. Guess there's nothing to talk about then.
>>
File: VNyk86k.png (651KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
VNyk86k.png
651KB, 1067x800px
>>53009713
What do you get out of being a sensitive little cock on the internet?
People like you are the exact reason we've got all those cash symbols in the OP, which you probably didn't read. You just saw "MtG" and decided to come shit our thread up.
>>
>>53010140
>being a passive aggressive little butthurt kid

Are you Canadian?
Scroll up and read the thread. When it's not chasing kids off, it is $$$$$$ COMPETITIVE $$$$$$ discussion.
>>
>>52999747
Miracles was unwinnable unless you drew 2+ Exquisite Firecraft.
Other bad matches (D&T, Reanimator) can actually be won through just playing well. Miracles required lucking into sideboard tech, just like in Modern.
>>
>>53010205
Not any of those guys but you seem to keep sperging out at everyone you can.

Modern players lmao
>>
>>53000379
>Goodstuff
Blood Moon
>Midrange
Tron

There are no true good decks in Modern, just the luck of the pairings.
>>
>>53009435
I like to put 3 mishra's bauble in my delver deck.
love the opening with delver and mishra, then crack mishra in the opponent turn and see my first card and then stack the two triggers (delver then mishra or vice-versa) at the beginning of my upkeep for an higher chance to get a sorcery or istant card.
>>
>>53008160

As a singleton, you're less likely to have it in your opening hand and instead draw into it later in the game. It works well for that reason, because that's when it's best. It's not the type of card you want in your opening hand.
>>
>>53004471
Puper Burn and Pauper MBC can beat Modern Tier 1.5 and 2 decks.
>>
I currently have a UW control list splashing red striclty for Nahiri in my 75. So far it has been pretty awesome. With As Foretold though, I think I might either need to retool the deck or cut the Nahiri part out of it. As Foretold gives so much value it's insane. What route would be best?
>>
>>53009713
It's autistic rage for having to play against anything he hasn't sideboarded for.
Modern in a very shitty format where your sideboard and matchup lottery matter more than your skill, rogues can beat Tier 1 decks by just being unbothered by the sideboard tech they're packing, so more diversity is never welcome.
>>
>>53010205
It isn't tho. It's "boohoo how do I make the money I spent on Delver not go down the drain" without any meaningful answers because Delver can't be saved.
>>
>>53010326
>Getting this exited about "fixing" Delver
Just let it die, or stop wasting money in crap cards and get Volcanic Island, Underground Sea and Tropical Island to play an actually good format where Delver is real.
>>
>>53010499
Lol. The fuck is wrong with you? Why are you so upset over nothing?
>>
>>53010539
Why the sour grapes, is nobody allowed to post anything while you're around?
>>
>>53010539
No kidding.
Why would I want to play Grixis Delver if I can't pack Wasteland, Daze and the erection producing Cabal Therapy + Young Pyro combo?
I never get how modern players are so content playing with boring, shitty cards.
>>
>>53010472
Well since you are clearly unaware let me help you out anon. Outside of the kitchentable that you play in people run cards that most call "removal" (cards that destroy, exile or in general neutralize permanent threats (in the game of magic a "permanent" is a spell which upon resolution stay on the board)) in the main board so 2 card "combos" that make 9/10s are not very effective.

I know that prospect is very very scary for you and you fear for the life of your favorite Craw Wurms but I can assure you it's all going to be all right as long as you stick to your kitchetable, casual magic :)
>>
>>53010600
I never get why people who don't play modern hang out in a modern thread
>>
>>53008597
I like this list a lot. How is your shadow matchup?
>>
>>53010624
Well I play Modern, but only Dredge, Storm and a 5 colour control brew with only cards I enjoy casting in it.
>>
>>53010646
I'd say it's even. The fact that I have tarmogoyfs makes death shadow the only real threat most of the time.
Between traverse, snap and bolt, it is easy to get a quick lol if they go to low on life as well.

Huntmasters, engineered Explosives and blood moons do a lot of work out the sideboard.
>>
File: 1468432779877.jpg (78KB, 680x1058px) Image search: [Google]
1468432779877.jpg
78KB, 680x1058px
>>53010539
(you)
>>
>>53010714
>quick lol
Damn phone posting. Kill
>>
Have you accepted the queen of the format in your hearts yet?
>>
>>53010600
Actually this. Playing any Modern deck that has a Legacy version is giving yourself a worse play experience on purpose.
Shame we don't have much 100% Modern decks other than crap piles like Tron (which is now trying to be a worse version of MUDrazis instead of Tron). So I'm enjoying DSJ while it lasts.
>>
What do you think of this Top 16?
Only 4 Death's Shadow decks!
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15391&d=293628&f=MO
>>
>>53003570
M A R D U B O I S
>>
>>53010804
I would say Tron is more akin to 12post than MUD.
>>
>>53010804
I love how arrogant legacy players are. Legacy being better is your opinion, not fact. Please fuck off
>>
>>53010621
As I said, autistic rage.
You'll meet 8Rack at your next event, it'll beat you because you don't have relevant SB tech against it, and you'll whine here for 90 hours about how 8th and 9th edition cards have to be banned because Ensnaring Bridge fucked you up.
>>
>>53010824
It's only natural for the best deck
>>
>>53010624
People can play more than one format and it's in fact how you realize some formats are not all their claimed to be and how some decks or even whole archetypes are utter unenjoyable shit in some formats.
>>
>>53010839
>you don't have cards to beat it
>bridge
>artifact
>no cards to deal with it
>implying anyone loses to 8rack
>implying 99% of decks aren't packing artifact destruction
just leave you idiot lmao
>>
>>53010856
Jesus christ. Don't post if you can't even speak English
>>
>>53010731
>t. denial stage of grieving
Just replace Delver with Death's Shadows if you want to make those Snapcasters worth their cost.
>>
>>53010833
>Legacy being better is your opinion, not fact
L M A O
How much koolaid do you have to drink to type something like this?
>>
>>53010839
>it'll beat you because you don't have relevant SB tech against it
Are you alright my dude? Did you hit your head somewhere and forgot that leyline of sanctity is the top 25 played spells in the format? Or that every side (and most main) boards run some sort of artifact/enchantment removal? Or that rack decks have been a known quantity since the inception of the format?

The only autistic rage I am seeing is your yours my friend.
>>
>>53010624
I sit in the Standard thread sometimes to feel the anger against Planeswalkers.

Two mana Hero's Downfall/Instant speed Dreadbore soon, fellow card players.
>>
>>53010831
With their newfound love for Chalice they're just a Trinisphere away from don't cast things reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee MUD players.
>>
>>53010833
Now say it without crying.
>>
>>53010787
>tfw this old and busted outdated combo as a cuter waifu than the pig-faced Vizier and the donkey-dick earred, long-faced Druid
>>
>>52999556
Traditional jund
>>
>>53010833
The best thing about Legacy is the lack of poor people like you.

Did you know French nobility would sometimes take tours through the slums, specifically because they enjoyed seeing the common rabble angry that they were inferior?
>>
>>53010873
>>53010898
>I'll draw my sideboard tech, you'll see!
We'll see you whining Bridge/Moon in the near future.
>>
>>53010926
MUD is awesome, I wish there were good Trinisphere + Chalice decks in Modern.
Unfortunately they'd run all those retarded Eldrazi someone thought it was a good idea to print.
>>
File: 1475637795298.jpg (42KB, 320x374px) Image search: [Google]
1475637795298.jpg
42KB, 320x374px
>>53010897
>>53010936
>he's an elitist over a trading card game
>>
>>53010897
>objective facts regarding a trading card game
oh, i see. you're a special kind of faggot, isn't it?
>>
>>53010945
>>old and busted outdated combo
Go back to playing your tier 6 sorcery speed meme brews kid, Ana and Melira are for real men only.
>>
>>53011002
Just wait until retards start proclaiming that Frontier is better than Modern.

>waaaah all formats are created equal
Fucking WotC apologists.
>>
>>53010965
>this whole post
Wew
>>
>>53010992
>he's poor

I bet you've emailed villa zheng.
>>
>>52994630
>>Brewing?

Mardu Bedlam Reveler with pack rat. Shit's fun.
>>
>>53011071
I'm a Legacy elitist but I think fakes are great. They get more people into a format where you actually get to play with good cards and fuck the jews in the secondary market.
>>
>>53011071
Oh no, you called me poor on an anonymous image board!
Seriously, fuck off. You're just shitposting and derailing a thread to fill some void in your bleak life.
>>
File: aut.jpg (44KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
aut.jpg
44KB, 600x315px
>>53011033
try to realize the silly existence of legacy players.
too fedora elitist for modern, too poorfag for vintage...
>>
>>53005985
>red white pride world wide
Somebody please help, I've cringed and I can't get up
>>
>>53011032
How exactly did you pass second grade without learning the difference between a fact and an opinion?
>>
>>53010979
I literally play Lantern and you're a retard who's trying to draw attention away from the fact that his shitty meme combo won't work in modern, now kindly fuck off you autist
>>
>>53011185
Implying anyone plays Vintage
Although Modern player should be the screecher there, forced by poverty and inexperience to play a format where cards like BBE and Preordain are deemed too powerful to be legal.
>>
>>53010982
I'd actually try to make MUD a thing but I know I'll inevitably get my shit blown out by Oblivion Stone.
Tron is the cancer killing Modern.
>>
>>53010965
Can I borrow one of your fedoras to tip you with?
>>
>>53011106
Be careful, the $$$$$$$$$$$ computative muderns $$$$$$$$$$$$ shitter may get triggered by your post.
>>
>>53011311
B-b-but Tron keeps the controlfags out right g-guys?!? Haha, thank god we have Tron in th f-format, I don't know what I'd do without Karn haha
>>
>>53011287
How resigned to the shittiness of your format do you have to be when your only defence is to try to pretend that quality is subjective?
You might as well be a competitive EDH player lmao
>>
>>53011298
I play DSJ, that's why I'm not afraid of kids showing up with their memebrews and beating me because I didn't draw my silver bullet.
I'm sorry you can't play the best deck.
>>
>>53011360
Nobody but the retard trying to force his meme combo said that though? Are you alright anon?
>>
>>53011338
I think after the Eye of Ugin ban the one sidedness of Tron vs Control matchups have been greatly exaggerated. They lost their inevitability which was pretty much the linchpin they held over control decks whose sole gameplan was to literally inevitably win by not losing over the long term.

Of course Thought Knot takes a shit on them anew since controlfags are destined by Wizards to eat shit forever but that is only semi related.
>>
>>53011340
Yes...dig your heels in deeper, that's it. It's all you have left, you sad, sad, person.
>>
>>53011308
>forced by poverty and inexperience
citation needed
>>
Unban Deathrite Shaman an 90% of the shitbrews will be gone within a month.
>>
>>53011340
>people like different things
>false
This is you. This is what you sound like.
>>
>>53011390
What meme combo are you so upset about now?
>>
>>53011445
literally read up the reply chain you retard.

starts here in case you weren't aware >>53009374
and here >>53010472
>>
>>53011397
"Contol" as in Draw Go, doesn't lose because of Tron. It doesn't even lose because it lacks Counterspell. It loses because it's an inherently flawed strategy that can't compete with diverse metas.

Draw Go needs an enviroment where all competitive decks can be answered with the same 40-something cards. And that just isn't the case in Modern.
>>
>>53011421
It will also run all the Snapcaster decks out of the format, as if they were in a good place.
>>
>>53011483
>There's only 2 people in 4chan
Can you be even more autistic?
>>
>>53011508
No, but apparently you can for jumping into a discussion when you don't know the context.
>>
>>53011501
How? Legacy is literally Deathrite decks vs Snapcaster decks, because the only thing that can beat T2 Liliana is Bolt-Snap-Bolt.
>>
>>53011493
I was using the more general definition of control (more commonly decks like those Grixis lists that were on the rage circa summer 2015 with Baby Jace) which includes but isn't limited to drawgo, which let be honest will never be a real thing. It needs like 5 JTMS (JTMS included of course) powerleveled cards that don't universally fit into other strats, it's a long by long shit standards.
>>
>>53011528
>Muh private mongolian puppet show conversation
Pls stop, the cringe is hard to watch
>>
>>53011561
>I jumped in to the conversation not knowing what the fuck was going so I'll try and not look retarded
pls stop
>>
>>53010824
>scapeshit
How low has this format fallen.
>>
>>53010965
Did you know french nobility got their balls rocked by angry peasants?
>>
>>53011609
A predicted response. Yawn.

But you see, the Nobility lasted some 1000 years, which is a fat lot better than Magic will do.

All things must end Timmy, but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy them first.
>>
File: 1491322856191.png (338KB, 778x658px) Image search: [Google]
1491322856191.png
338KB, 778x658px
>>53011693
yeah but uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
consider this, atheists
>>
Would 1U counter target spell unless you pay 2 (alternately uu for counter unless pay 3) exile a spell countered this way affect the format at all?
>>
>>53011766
It would generate a great deal of anti-Blue sentiment, but otherwise not much would happen. That hate would set back anything else Blue might get, mind.

Blue doesn't have any good wincons right now. That's the real problem. Delver is the worst card in the whole Delver deck.
>>
>>53011766
>>53011798
A better version, by the way would be

UU - Instant
Kicker - U
Counter target spell unless its controller pays 2
If ~ was kicked, Counter target spell.

The kicker effect could also just be countered unless pay 4, but either would be better than Mana Leak.
>>
>>53011766
too powerful for modern here's a fixed version

4UUUUUU
Counter target non creature spell unless it's controller draws a card

cycling:UUUUUUUU

we don't want blue to get out of hand do we?

no fucking reason they couldn't have printed miscalculation, it's not even that good.
I'm sick of the hateboner for blue
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>53011693
>i predicted they'd call out my shitpost, yet i was powerless to stop it
>>
>>53011766
You can print Counterspell and Daze, Draw Go will still not be a thing.
Daze would just end up in Infect and Storm lists, while Counterspell goes unplayed.
>>
>>53011871
Calling out a shitpost just gives him (You)s you chucklefuck.

He's already won.
>>
>>53011900
daze doesn't usually get played in control though, it's a tempo card.
>>
>>53011857
I laughed
>>
>>53011857
U
Counter target spell. It's controller draws a card.
How bout dah?
>>
>>53011857
Counterpoint: blue is the Most Boringest color with the Gayest Spells.
>>
>>53012051
Let me counter that counterpoint:

Every color in Magic needs an overhaul.
White needs something other than sideboard cards.
Green needs something other than big-dick creatures
Red needs something other than speed memes.
Black needs something other than discard
Blue needs to be deleted and remade to work in the post-Garfield era of MaRo
>>
>>53012030
Way too powerful for standard and modern friend.

Fixed version from MaRo and WotC with love:
10^(10^(100))UU
Counter target sorcery unless it's controller gains 50 life and draws 3 cards

>>53012051
That's just like, your opinion man. I'm not saying blue needs to dominate but it needs playable stuff every once and a while.
>>
>>53011538
>Legacy is literally Deathrite decks vs Snapcaster decks
????
Modern players, ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>53011538
Legacy is literally just deathrite bug piles now with some delver and combo thrown in
>>
>>53012091
Black has everything, though, it just has to pay life to get it. That's why black is the best color.
>>
>>53012198

Lands is going to become popular as well because it takes a steamy shit on any greedy delver decks.
>>
>>53012322
Lands is based as fuck.
If only there were decks that cool in modern, but unfortunately cards like Punishing Fire are way too powerful for the tryhard babies. I guess we're lucky we can still cast Life from the Loam.
>>
>>53012365
I can't believe you're actually this stupid. The reason some cards are too powerful is because legacy has answers like force of will, whereas modern does not. Fucking mongoloid
>>
>>53012423
>FoW
>against a recurred source of removal
Loving every laugh

On a side note, all punishing fire really does is enable Jund and maybe give Naya midrange some game or something. It wouldn't really enable anything cool like in Legacy I don't think
>>
>>53012423

You're pretty retarded if you waste a force of will on a punishing fire. Force of will is not just some "use it whenever you feel like it", no repercussions card.
>>
>>53012206
>Black has everything, though, it just has to pay life to get it.
Show me a black artifact or enchantment removal card.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-01-21-20-09.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-01-21-20-09.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>
>>53012460
>>53012477
Holy fuck, no kidding. It was a for example. Can you go back to your thread? Or did it die from inactivity again?
>>
>>53012479
Abrupt Decay :^)
>>
>>53012499
Hey it's Mr. Punishing Fire Is Only Banned Because Modern Doesn't Have FoW.
Point at him and laugh.
>>
>>53012530
(You)
>>
>>53012495
How does this avoid losing to burn?

The idea is fine, but it's still too D&T + flicker effects for me. I'd rather have Tidehollow than Reflector Mage, among other things.
>>
>>53012499
I don't even play legacy anymore champ but keep on Force of Willing Punishing fire. By the way if you're going to use the cards are banned because we don't have asnwers like daze and FoW Punishing fire isn't a card that fits in the argument.
>>
>>53012576
(You)
>>
>>53012545
Please tell us what other hits are banned for lack of 0 mana counters wise Magic expert.
The mighty Ponder, perhaps? Can't lose if you FoW that turn 1 Ponder.
>>
>>53012479
Thoughtseize
>>
>>53012545
>>53012598
>I'll post (you) that way i won't look like a retard haha
It's ok champ
>>
>>53012576
>>53012610
>legacy retards in their natural environment
>they simply cannot help but act condescending
>even in scenarios they fabricated themselves
>truly as if they are only speaking to and for themselves
>>
>>53012560
BFT and kor firewalker in the side. Spellstutter sprite counter 1 drops by itself and spell queller counters the rest. It's not my list but I would cut copter for judge's familiar.
>>
>>53012610
I wish we had something that could stop T1 IOK/Thoughtseize. Allowing FoW would be going too far, however.
>>
>>53012641
>I can't believe you're actually this stupid. The reason some cards are too powerful is because legacy has answers like force of will, whereas modern does not. Fucking mongoloid
>in response to a post about punishing fire
>implying I play legacy
>implying you're not retarded
>>
>>53012091
>Blue is kill
>White gets piracy effects and tax counters.
>Black gets bounce and frost effects
>Red gets cantrips and redirection.
>Green gets polymorphs and stifles.
>Mill is gone forever
The game would actually be much better that way.
>>
>>53012560
>How does this avoid losing to burn?
Perhaps not in this case but the answer to this question sometimes needs to be, "Don't give a shit if you lose to burn."

If you're playing competitively, sure, you have to worry about Burn. But for the most part, that's not what most of us are doing at the FNM level. So who gives a fuck if you lose to burn. Just play it if it's competitive enough and you're enjoying it.

I play WUR Control and Living End, no fucking way you're beating Burn most of the time so I don't worry about it.
>>
>>53012662
Mind censor and Loxodon smiter have a baby. If you would reveal cards from your hand, instead reveal ~ and two other nonland cards.
Put it on a 2-drop 2/1 body. Make it UW so none of the Jund/Junk builds get it.
>>
>>53012662
They should just reprint Cabal Therapy so you can be on the play and take all of their Thoughtseizes.
>>
>>53012662
I've actually got my T1 Thoughtsieze FOWd a fair ammount of times. You're a retard if you can't see why some decks would do that.
>>
>>52996694
or r/w aggro, because righteous fury via gideon and chandra seems to be the narrative these days
>>
>>53012723
There's still the question of meta.
I play elves, but still see a solid two burn players a night.
>>
>>53012736
Something like "if you would reveal cards from your hand reveal this instead and put it into play."

Have it just be a bear or something
>>
>>53012750
Again your reading comprehension is appalling
>>
>>53012750

Hes saying that it's a good answer, but allowing it is too much for the format.

>legacy player's reading comprehension and slinging back "you're a retard if" when it's you that doesnt understand
>>
>>53012680
>b-b-but you're CONDESCENDING
Surely you jest, noble mage? In all of your PF-FoWing wisdom you must know that I would never subject another magic player to tactful derision, or use them as a mere source of haughty amusement.
>>
>>53012813
Uh.
>T1, opponent IOK's
>gives you a bear
>your turn, swing with a bear

Against BGx that's a free goblin guide without the drawback.
>>
>>53011693
We get it, your waifu pillow was taken away after the incident at McDonalds and Mommy took away your Playstation so you have to shitpost on 4chan to fill the void.
>>
>>53012776
I'm saying if you care so much about local meta that has Burn, then maybe play a deck that doesn't have to do any work to beat burn.

If you're playing a deck that has an inherent weakness to burn then any changes to upgrade the burn matchup from "horrible" to "kinda bad" is only going to reduce your deck's ability to fight other decks.

Just focus on what your deck does well and not give a fuck if it has a huge weakness to one specific deck. If there was a deck that utterly blanked every deck out there then it would be "the best deck" right? Well there's no such thing so don't worry so much about it.

That's just me. I've tested for competitive events and most of the time some 75% of the fucking time people are worried about their worst fucking matchup and I'm wasting my time helping test and tweak a matchup they had no chance of winning in the first place so we're wasting our fucking time. And no matter how many times you tell them they just don't want to hear that their fucking deck sucks in that matchup and refuse to listen to its strong matchups. And most of the time that deck is burn. So when I hear people have burn matchup I say, "Well if it can shitkick 50% of the meta who gives a fuck if it loses to burn."
>>
>>53012911
>we

Excuse me, but who the fuck do you think you are? I speak for myself and myself alone. I didn't elect any representative.
>>
>>53012946
Tip your fedora somewhere else you faggot
>>
>>53012885

there's design space for them to print some sort of flagbearer mechanic for hand hate

if they have a hand-reveal block at some point they could print

>Decoy (if a card with decoy is in your hand, if an opponent would choose a card in your hand, that player chooses a card with decoy instead)

might b cool
>>
>>53013055

a minute ago he was part of "we", now he's "you", make up your (our? lol) mind fuckhead
>>
>>53013111
You are both faggots
>>
Has anybody been trying out Censor? Is so what did you think about it?
>>
>>53013158

correction, we are faggots
>>
>>53013200
Mindcensor?
That thing has been legal due to the Time Spiral printing.

Hoses a few things, but it's never going to be much beyond a sideboard hate card unless there's some janky combo it's part of.
>>
>>52999820
Because lifegain decks are not good.
>>
File: TONIGHT. YOU..png (520KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
TONIGHT. YOU..png
520KB, 480x680px
>>52994630
>>Playing?
BW E&T

>>Brewing?
Just putting work in with E&T

>>Metagame thoughts?
If it's Modern-legal, I can beat it. The """""meta""""" is extremely favorable to the E&T gameplan right now and there are no outliers or fringe strategies that are cause for alarm.
Tax decks, and especially E&T, reward knowledge of other decks in the format and logging loads of hours playing - moreso than any other strategy in Modern or Legacy.
>>
Came here from the Hearthstone general thread, people were talking about how Magic the Gathering was cheaper to play or that you could even make money from being smart with your collection.

I was wondering what decks I should try, been wasting too much money on Hearthstone (two hundo)
>>
>>53013317
no
censor
the counterspell
noob
>>
>>53012885
The point is that it hands on hand disruption a little bit anon. The same can be said if you have a hand of Smiters and >3 cards in hand.
>>
>>53013421
I mean its not cheaper to play but you can make more money than you do in hearthstone ( 0 )
>>
>>53013527
>make more money
don't lie to kids my man, mtg is a financial hole you never climb out of
>>
>>53013421
These decks are many times more expensive than hearthstone to start out with, but once you have a Modern or Legacy deck it generally will last for your lifetime of involvement in the game (barring cards being banned from play for whatever reason).

Standard format is cheaper to begin with but ends up milking you for hundreds or thousands of dollars in a given season of Standard rotation if you're trying to stay current with the format meta and grind cash tournaments

As for making money, smart trading and buy-low-sell-high can line your pocketbook quite nicely if you go full-autism with buyouts, predictions and binder-sharking noobs.
>>
>>53013421
First of all wrong thread man, Modern is a format. Secondly, unlike HS your cards actually have value here and you can either trade the away for cards you want or sell them for money. Modern is kind of an expensive format but your cards hold the value and often go up.

As for trying a deck, I wouldn't buy anything right out of the gate, I'd use something like Cockatrice or Xmage to get a feel towards a deck you like and work from there.

Also decks in this format can cost anywhere from 500-2000, with budget decks being around 200 or less. I wouldn't suggest Modern starting out, I'd probably try Standard or Pauper to get a feel for it and then maybe work towards modern and legacy.
>>
>>53013421
Bait
>>
>>53013527
A bunch of pros went to stream heartstone because it actually makes money while winning GPs and PTs barely covers travel and hostel costs.
>>
>>53014474
I was talking more about buying singles for decks and less about the pro scene. Mtg pros don't get much but I don't think that life is indicative of what the average player's experience is.

>>53013542
Notice how I said can. There's things you can do to get back more value than you put in. Buying low, selling high. Especially with boogeymen like bitterblossom and sword of the meek.
>>
>>53014835
Being a MTG speculator is the best way to make a small fortune from a big fortune.
Rudy has been at it for 15 years after spending half a decade in real finance and he still loses money more often than not.
>>
>>53014866
what would happen if hasbro for some reason shut down mtg?
What would happen with investors?
>>
>>53014958
depends on how much the community is willing to go on

the demand for mtg lies within the community (at least as far as investors and speculators are concerned--they arent selling to kitchen table kids)
>>
>>53014958
eternally blown the fuck out.
>>
>>53014866
Luckily I don't spend hundreds on buyouts to try and make a living. No one should use magic speculation in place of savings or actual investing. Just extra money for singles when it works out and a small loss when it doesn't.

>>53014958
As fucked as wizards are they're pretty much necessary for the market to have any value.
>>
>>53014958
who cares?
>>
Is glint crane nest in affinity a meme?
>>
>>53015470
yes
>>
>>53015470
No, it carries plating well and digs for something when you're out of gas.
>>
>>53015483
B-but muh spice deck tech!
>>
File: Phylactery Lich.png (1MB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Phylactery Lich.png
1MB, 900x900px
3x Archfiend of Ifnir
4x Architects of Will
4x Curator of Mysteries
2x Greater Sandwurm
4x Horror of the Broken Lands
4x Monstrous Carabid
4x Simian Spirit Guide
4x Street Wraith
2x Twisted Abomination
Land (18)
3x Blackcleave Cliffs
1x Blood Crypt
3x Blooming Marsh
1x Overgrown Tomb
4x Bloodstained Mire
1x Stomping Ground
4x Verdant Catacombs
1x Watery Grave
Instant (6)
2x Beast Within
4x Violent Outburst
Sorcery (5)
2x Demonic Dread
3x Living End

Took this LE list to FnM last Friday. We 3-1 winning every match except going 0-2 my first round against Blood Artist. Drew all my Living Ends first game then second game I was too artistically excited and didn't even sideboard graveyard hate against him.

second game was against Merfolk and they got stomped. Ifnir killing what little defense could be played post cascade was very effective.

3rd round was Gary Devotion. First game was close timing wise but second game I took out Carabids for Gnaw and Slaughter Games for an easy win.

4th round was against Goblins which Horror came in as mvp here pumping him to a 12/8 after blockers for exactly lethal

The only time I would've had a problem cycling a Sphinx (and I saw them often) the whole night was against Merfolk and they graciously spreading sea's-ed one of my lands for me.
>>
>>53015719
Blood artist? What modern deck plays blood artist?
>>
>>53014958
Mass suicide.
"Collectible" games aren't valuable without organized play sustaining the value of the most playable pieces.
Alpha Black Lotus can sustain it's price because it's in the Guiness World Records and there's less than 3K of them in good condition. Fetchlands, Jace, Liliana, Tarmogoyf, etc. would be worth the dime they cost to print at costco.
>>
>>53015821
It was some weird list running Cartel Aristocrat I don't know. It confused me too.
>>
>>53015968
>Cartel Aristocrat
it sounds like you just lost to a wb life sap deck

i see people calling it 'wb aristocrats' but they dont always have to run aristocrat
>>
So at the moment I'm in the middle of shaking up my sideboard as I'm rather unhappy with it. I play 8whack goblins and the local meta seems to be all over the place. A sample of the decks I face off against are: Faeries, Fish, RG Tron, U Tron, Infect, Elves, Abzan CoCo, Burn, BW Tokens, Mill, Grixis Delver, Deaths Shadow, 8 Whack Goblins, Bogles, Ad Naus, UR Storm, Afinity

Right now my sideboard is:
1x Pithing Needle
3x Skullcrack
3x Smash to Smithereens
2x Reality Hemorrhage
2x Tormod's Crypt
1x Goblin Chieftain
2x Goblin Piledriver
1x Gutshot

The main cards I am looking to cut are the Chieftain and the Piledrivers and maybe the Reality Hemorrhages as I only really have them in to hit pro red shit, like Kor Firewalkers (I know Skullcrack can work in the same way but this one will outright remove them instead of having to rely on it blocking/attacking). I feel like I need something like Eletrickery because last Modern a few days ago 3 out of the 4 matches had Lingering Souls cast, with that other one where it wasn't I believe he has some in sideboard and possibly sided them in against me.

Suggestions?
>>
>>53016064
yes. I knew figured as much dying to drain effects.
>>
File: formatwarped.png (284KB, 419x317px) Image search: [Google]
formatwarped.png
284KB, 419x317px
Some of you guys are alright. Don't go to a major modern tournament during the next 3 months.
>>
>>53016352
There are better ways to protect Gideon.
>>
>>53016352
there are none near me til december.
>>
>>53016368
There really aren't. You can't get much better than
1B
Instant
Counter target spell
Destroy target Tarmogoyf
>>
>>53016389
>Pact of Negation
>Intervention Pact
>Slaughter Pact
>Faith's Shield
>Thoughtseize
>Inquisition of Kozilek
>Liliana of the Veil
There really are.
>>
>>53016352
What happens if they just, you know, attack it?
>>
>>53016732
+1
>>
>>53012723
Wrong answer imo, the correct answer should be "the 75 has lifegain"

It's reasonable to ask if a deck has a gameplan for unfavorable matchups.
Besides, it's a bit of a silly question in the first place, any white deck can easily board in Rest for the Weary or co. in order to "beat" burn.
>>
File: 9CHAD.png (289KB, 820x880px) Image search: [Google]
9CHAD.png
289KB, 820x880px
>>53016352
how's this list look?
or am I way behind on the newest gideon meta?
>gideonpact.dec
>>
>>53016352
that doesn't DO anything

>play mediocre plainswalker
>accumulate warnings and GRVs because you don't know how to play magic
>>
>>53017663

>>53017663

>>53017663

migrate whenever
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.