[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need help /tg/, what material could be created that would be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: ringworld1.jpg (252KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ringworld1.jpg
252KB, 1280x720px
I need help /tg/, what material could be created that would be strong enough to build a ringworld with and how would one go about mass-producing it?

Also, post megastructures I guess.
>>
>>52993614
There are none, you would have to make one up.
>>
>>52993614
Unobtanium Im affraid.
>>
>>52993614
Uncooked spaghetti.
>>
File: ringworld2.jpg (2KB, 100x125px) Image search: [Google]
ringworld2.jpg
2KB, 100x125px
>>52993642
>>52993659
Fuck, there's really nothing that could be done? Not even with medium-well sci-fi technology?
>>
>>52993888
Hardlight.
>>
>>52993614
The only material that can possibly be used is futurium, but the secrets of its creation have been lost for thousands of years, leaving us with nothing but these useless space elevators that all flash OUT OF ORDER.
>>
>>52993888
What is this, a vision of the future for ants
>>
>>52993888
I think I heard that a dyson sphere might be plausibly made if you essentially used electronic foil rather than an actual giant solid space station. Likewise, I think the only way you could even make an artificial ring using plausible technology would be some kind of chain of small satellites, or a tube made of some ultra-light electronic material.

If you're gonna make a ringWORLD, then just make up some bullshit. Seriously, just say that the technology is just THAT GOOD, and invent an alloy with carbon in its name.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIIOUpOge0LtW77TNvgrWWu5OC3EOwqxQ

Go now, and be educated in that which is megastructures!
>>
>>52993614
Some sort of nanocarbon unobtanium alloy.

Right up there with the thing that'll cause lukewarm fusion, room temperature super conductors, and competent, honest politicians.
>>
>>52993614
Scrith
>>
>>52993972
Oh, Dyson Spheres are super plausible (aside from the immense material costs), because the actual design doesn't have them be solid in the first place. Dyson's actual idea was to have a cloud of satellites orbiting a star to absorb as much light as possible, they're not joined together. The structural stresses that would cause it to fly apart aren't present because it's already flown apart, so to speak.
>>
>>52993614
only one megastructure construction at once is a shit rule.
>>
>>52993614
If this is something for a story or some sort? Cause if so, I'd say do something that makes the way the metal behaves a theme of your world. Like for something like 40k, where everything is terrible, make the material a metal that become more rigid and constricts in intense light or heat, as in, near a star. Heck, it is not so hard to believe that it would be less expensive building the sphere with less space between it's surface and the sun than between the sun and Mercury, never mind building a Dyson Sphere that extends all the way to the Goldilocks Zone. Then the sphere would be subjected to the heat necessary to make it impossibly strong, and all the wretches on it would have to live inside prebuilt hab bubbles on the outer surface, in the solar-powered air conditioning, never glimpsing at the sun that they have harnessed because they honestly could not figure out how to make transparent materials that could survive being so close to a star. The way the material grows more rigid in light could represent how the ruthless rule of the Imperium makes it strong enough to withstand anything, but unable to yield to any sort of benefit for it's people for fear of toppling this house of cards if you pull out one of them. the metal should be more than cool, I think, poetic most likely.
>>
>>52993888
Superthornium-fart gas alloy. Or just go "its ancient mysterious" route.
>>
Remember that Earth will bully its colonies with Nicoll-Dyson Beams.
>>
>>52993888
If we knew we'd be working on orbital elevators right now. What the fuck did you expect?

Try a topopolis instead.
>>
>>52994904
So, fitting for a shit game.
>>
How big a ring-world? You could make a halo out of steel.
>>
>>52993614
Mundane real-life material? Absolutely nothing. Have some form of scifi gravitational fuckery or similar, else the ring would tear itself into a million pieces
>>52994904
Mods, unless you're cheevo hunting. Arent achievements fucked atm anyway?
>>
>>52993614
>>52994098
>Scrith

>The tensile strength of scrith is theorized to be similar to the Strong nuclear force, with the Ringworld foundation only measuring about 30m (100 ft) thick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong_interaction
>>
File: halo3_44253485_Medium.jpg (99KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
halo3_44253485_Medium.jpg
99KB, 1920x1080px
Say what you like about Halo, but living on an artificial planet would be awesome.
>>
>>52993614
Anything really. It's in space. Zero gravity. All the ring's gravity would be artificial and any force it'd go under would be to prevent it from pulling apart. Any thing that would make it bend would just push the fucker.
>>
>>52997506
The ring spins to provide centripetal force as a gravity analogue on the inner surface. Given the stats in Larry Niven's book Ringworld, where its diameter is roughly that of Earth's orbit, around a similar star, it has to spin at about seven hundred and seventy meters per second. The tensile strength required to hold together under the forces this would exert on the ring is on the order of the strong nuclear force. No material holds together that well, so Niven had to make one up, Scrith, or Ringworld Floor Material.

Any ring that spins to provide gravity will run into this issue, though as the ring gets smaller, this is less of a problem. A ring half the size around a star that puts out half as much light might be possible with conventional materials. A ring the size of the Halo rings that appear in said games could be built out of steel.
>>
>>52997506
>>52998256
>All the ring's gravity would be artificial
Side note: While the Known Space universe does have generated gravity, the Ringworld's creators didn't have it when they built it.
>>
>>52998256
It might work if only the inner surface is spinning and the outer layer supports it on a stationary track.
>>
>>52993614
It's called Scrith, and it's basically spun like thread.

If you'd read past the first book, you'd know that...
>>
>>52993614

Living Metal, obviously
>>
File: mckendree.jpg (34KB, 650x392px) Image search: [Google]
mckendree.jpg
34KB, 650x392px
>>52993614
With Magmatter( ): http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/48630634d2591

About Ringworlds
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/5151b9b79834e

If you want to built in a lesser scale: http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/4845ef5c4ca7c

Or if you want to built a one with already existing materials:
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/460db7f55a8d3

A fun alternative:
http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/48473a892041c
>>
File: ringworld3.jpg (420KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ringworld3.jpg
420KB, 800x600px
>>52996619
I can probably work with that to get the material strength to create my ringworld, that's actually really helpful. Thank you!
>>
>>52993614
Living metal.
>>
>>52993972
The paradox with a Dyson Sphere is that the amount energy needed to create a Dyson sphere would require for you to already have a Dyson sphere.
>>
>>53004182
Mega structures are mostly for ascendant races to dick wave. They don't care about costs because they don't matter all they have to worry about is whether or not they want one.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.