[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GM Fatigue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1481597457538.png (1MB, 775x859px) Image search: [Google]
1481597457538.png
1MB, 775x859px
Everyone has experienced it at some point. Either from putting up with endless player fickleness, constantly having to rewrite your adventure to cater to their needs, or simply becoming tired with your own adventure, GMs inevitably get burnt out.

How do you keep up your desire to run? I've cancelled the last two sessions because of low enthusiasm, and it's looking like it might become three.
>>
Recognize it beforehand, ask someone else to DM. If you want to play in their game, make sure it's significantly different from what you regularly DM so you still get a decent break. Also try to plan campaigns that don't go beyond your motivation. At most I plan on 4 sessions per arc if possible, because I know it'll extend to 5 or 6 and more than that risks my motivation dwindling.

I didn't listen to my own advice and I currently have at least 3 more sessions of SKT to run when I really want to run my own thing. I work more on that than prepping for the sessions I'm actually running now
>>
Being a ForeverGM, I've suffered GM fatigue quite a bit. The most important part is to know why you don't feel enthused about your game.
Is the campaign in a slump and it's not progressing as fast? Either stick with it until you hit a high point to rekindle interest or talk with your group about what changes might need to be made.
Tired of the system or the setting you're using, but don't want your group to disband? Pitch a quickie to run, something different that you'll like. People tend to be understanding. You're the GM after all. Then, once the adventure is over, see if the group would like to continue the new campaign or go back to the old one.

Knowing why you aren't as enthused about your game as before is important to knowing how to rekindle your interest or knowing when to switch.

If you're tired of being a GM, well then, get comfy in that chair because rarely will players offer to take the big red seat from you.
>>
Mine has transcended gm fatigue and become game fatigue.

Any chance I get to play and not run is so terrible, I only run games so we do not play shitty alternate campaigns. I dont remember the last time I had fun playing in a game and not running.
>>
See if anyone playing wants to run a oneshot, either in a different system or in the same one

Take a month off

Read some inspiration
>>
>>52992173
>Take a month off
That's not a good idea. That's what I did and that month turned into six month, then into a year, then into two.
>>
>>52988709
I was running the same game with the same people for nearly a year. I got burnt out and hated it. I've handed it over to a new GM and it's now been going for more than a year.
>>
It may be considered railroading by some, but I make sure my larger story gets told one way or another. That's enough to keep me happy even through the shit, and sometimes it does come down to "just slough through this for a couple months".
In the high times, you can prep some low-effort mini adventures you can throw in at pretty much any point and save those for a rainy day.
Make fun NPCs and bring back your personal favorites. You don't have to go full DMPC to have fun with these, and players probably won't mind if you give a little backup in fights from time to time.
Recognize the true power of GMing. You don't have to stick to anyone's plan. Not even your own. It's perfectly okay to take a session now and then which drastically breaks tone or introduces unfitting elements in a limited way to the world.
Break rules in the name of making things more entertaining or interesting. Sometimes my players will sperg over this, sometimes they'll fellate me afterward for being so creative. At some point though you gotta realize you're doing it for yourself at least as much as you are for them.
If you've got other creative interests, music, art, video, etc, incorporate it. I make shitty pogs for my favorite characters and include lots of "subtle" references in sessions.
>>
My group hasn't played in 2 months probably, dunno if we will pick it back up. Kinda sucks, campaign is almost finished. I don't really have the time to make things as great as I want too, and the players aren't exactly the enthusiastic types. One, maybe two sessions to go then I'm off the hook and hopefully somebody else runs a game.
>>
Another forever GM here, I used to get GM fatigue, but that was mostly when I was running three groups and had some player cross over between groups.

>>52992790
This is absolutely correct, it is very hard to get back in to gaming if you take time off. I had a similar issue once I ended up taking a year and a half off when I was only going to break for a month.
>>
>>52988709

Always have a back up. A reliable back up.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.